Author Topic: STG Thread 12  (Read 69812 times)

Zil

STG Thread 12
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
I -think- it's the 12th one anyway. Not sure about fancy names or whatever. Here is the previous thread.

So yeah. Talk about shooting games, I guess. Personally, I've managed to get a 2-ALL of Daioujou Black Label. I'm not really sure what to say about it, but I'm glad I finally did it. I think I'm going to give Dangun Feveron a shot now. It looks like a relatively interesting game.

Re: STG Thread 12
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Once again, congratulations. Watching your replay has really done something to motivate me to get back to DOJ myself so thanks for uploading it.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
Don't you mean Crawl Thread 12?

Well, I did. I won't be surprised if it doesn't go anywhere though, seeing as the old one died of inactivity in the first place.

Yeah that was kind of our bad. We've pretty much moved on to our irc channel and kind of forgot this thread existed.  :V

Congrats on the 2-ALL btw, glad to finally see that legendary <300 mil 2-ALL.
As for me I've been playing Alternative Sphere a bit lately. It's pretty fun although it's kind of silly too.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Yeah that was kind of our bad. We've pretty much moved on to our irc channel and kind of forgot this thread existed.  :V

Hah, you talk about shmups in there still?  :V

Zil

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
Once again, congratulations. Watching your replay has really done something to motivate me to get back to DOJ myself so thanks for uploading it.
As I recall, you don't even have a 1-ALL yet, right? Hop to it. BV
Congrats on the 2-ALL btw, glad to finally see that legendary <300 mil 2-ALL.
Uh, thanks. I didn't know getting a shitty score would be "legendary."

Well, moving on from DOJ. Gunbird 2 is a lot more fun than I remember it being. Getting a 2-ALL seems pretty insane.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
As I recall, you don't even have a 1-ALL yet, right?

Oh I do. That was easy. I've only made it to Stage 2-2 though but that was a really bad run that had me die 5 times during the first loop to things that normally don't kill me at all like the first midboss in 1-5. Yeah, I said it was bad alright?

I don't think it's unrealistic to go for the 2-ALL in this game but UFO NBNUFO kinda pulls in me too so I'll see what I get the motivation to work on.  :V

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
Ahaha so that was indeed your first farm post.  Hi, here's a 2-all.  So good.

And don't listen to these guys about scoring in some enemy-chaining game.  They're playing tee ball.

And since we're cross-posting...
Twinkle Star Sprites
...I'm going to pull a Naut and hurl uncontrollably.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
About time this showed up :V

Have been mostly playing Raizing STGs these days (Garegga and Batrider especially). Fun to play, but by no means am I doing that well on them. :V

As for cross-posting, some older stuff:
Just got to [DFK iOS, Normal difficulty] Ura with B-Strong (finally!)...And goddamn, compared to Tsuujou loop this is brutal. :V
Purchased [DDP Maximum] (iOS version), will try out later. :P I will say the OST is pretty good off the bat - lots of neat remixes of other Cave songs.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »
Yeah let's start posting here again. I've been playing Power style DFK since the STGT ended, mostly with a run in a day pace. I feel like I should finally do something that can make me feel I'm done with this game but I have no idea how long that will take. Also made this funny video about chains and 2-5 Ura some days ago.

I've also discovered that Raiden DX is a pretty awesome game. For some reason I used to assume the pre-Fighters Raidens were bad. It feels a bit like a Toaplan game but without most of the things wrong about Toaplan. :V
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:24:22 PM by Erppo »
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

KLH

• 47 accounts in my account account
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:23 AM »
...I've managed to get a 2-ALL of Daioujou Black Label.
Congratulations! Nice to see more players successfully challenge this game!

I -think- it's the 12th one anyway. Not sure about fancy names or whatever. Here is the previous thread.
I like simplicity and minimalism

but I like references as well, so idk

And don't listen to these guys about scoring in some enemy-chaining game.  They're playing tee ball.
:V

Anyway, have been playing shmups (and video games in general) sporadically as of late, too busy with schoolwork and with watching YTPs lol

Regardless, I haven't posted here in a while, so I've been accumulating a few things that might be worth mentioning:
-DOJBL:
  • Perfect full chain 1-1 with minor improvement on HFD's technique (more on this later, once I can get a good replication of this uploaded onto YouTube)
  • Perfect full chain 2-1
  • Perfect 2-3, with hypers for attempt at scoring
  • Perfected the elevator section in 2-4 multiple times (without hypers and with hypers for score)
  • No-miss, 1-bomb 2-4
  • Perfected the beehive section in 2-5 twice (once with no hypers and once with hypers for score)
  • 1-miss, no-bomb 2-5
  • 1838 chain in 2-5
  • Perfected Kouryuu and Hachi with no hypers used, but wasn't able to no-miss Hibachi haha (got a 1-miss)
-Ketsui:
  • No-miss, 1-bomb Evaccaneer
  • No-missed (5-bombed) DOOM twice, but had major slowdown for a few seconds on the one run that I recorded (slow hard drive dammit), and a serious BS dodge on DOOM's final attack on the other run (which wasn't even being recorded anyway)

As for DOJBL, I think it's about time for me to assemble all of these into a complete run. My best run so far ended halfway through 2-4, so if I can do these in a full run, I should get significantly farther. Now, it's just a matter of finding the optimal time and clearing my hard drive (so I can actually record the run as an AVI file).

2hu is a ghey shooter pl@y COD you f@gs
COD 4 life #swag #yolo #360noscope #lensflare #Skrillex
Main YouTube Channel
Main Reupload Channel

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Been playing a bit back and forth with Futari, Touhou and DOJ BL.

On Futari I finally managed to pull off a decent Stage 4 run on Maniac. NM1B. The bomb being on the final moth that I've got no clue how to dodge. The boss went as it should. Kickass fight that. One of the most fun fights i've played in any Cave game.

DOJBL. Haven't played it for a long while so I decided to brush up on my first loop performances and it didn't take long before I got flawless runs of those. Everything points to me being ready to attempt full runs soon. I may decide to just stick to playing runs starting from 2-1 because I find the first loop to be a shitty and artificial extension to the games difficulty and length and a very cheap way to achieve those ends.

Finally, i played a bit of Air Gallet because it was mentioned in IRC. Not a bad game at all, it's pretty fun actually. Only problem i have with it is the damn Hunter weapon. Ruins what might've been a good solid game for me but I just can't seem to avoid accidentally picking up the blasted thing.  :(

Zil

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
Well I've finally got a good Xbox controller. The turbo feature is a godsend, as I seem to be in a situation where every shmup I play lacks auto-fire. (I think it's cheating in PoDD though, so I won't use it there.) The ability to alternate diagonal directions without without doing some kind of rhythm game crap is also pretty nice.

In any event, I've been jumping back and forth between Gunbird 2 and Dangun Feveron. Both seem to be great games so far. I'm definitely planning to 1cc Dangun, and maybe go for a no-miss clear, if at all possible. And I think I'll try to 2-ALL GB2, though I'm not sure how long it will take me. It won't happen until I'm actually competent at using a d-pad, at least. I think it's worth the time investment though.

Good luck with your DOJBL playing, you two.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »
The hunter power up of Air Gallet is basically a different kind of bullet.

Also I get to choose the next montly game at shmups farm. Might as well ask for suggestions here too, but be quick with them. I'm currently leaning toward Giga Wing and will probably pick that unless someone manages to convince me otherwise.

E: no Cave plz, everyone plays them all the time anyway.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
E: no Cave plz, everyone plays them all the time anyway.

PoDD  :V

chum

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
I think I'll try to 2-ALL GB2, though I'm not sure how long it will take me. It won't happen until I'm actually competent at using a d-pad, at least. I think it's worth the time investment though.

Good luck on this.  Just beating the first loop of that nightmare of a game took me over 10 hours of gameplay, and the second loop is so much harder It's not even funny, I think It's way out of my league. What character do you use?

Dangun shouldn't be nearly as hard, but getting a good score seems rough... If you're into the scoring in the first place.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:42:42 AM »
Ten hours doesn't sound bad.

Oh, ten hours of Psikyo.  I take it back.
PoDD  :V
Not a shmup.

The farm should love it.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 03:56:35 AM »
Good luck on this.  Just beating the first loop of that nightmare of a game took me over 10 hours of gameplay, and the second loop is so much harder It's not even funny, I think It's way out of my league. What character do you use?

Dangun shouldn't be nearly as hard, but getting a good score seems rough... If you're into the scoring in the first place.
I've been using Tavia. As I understand it, it's either her or the gay samurai, unless you want the game to be way harder. And I have been liking the scoring in Dangun.

PoDD as the monthly game would be awesome. I'd be all over that.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Not a shmup.

Define shmup. This is just a multiplayer shmup   :3

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
PCB Normal is my suggestion for obvious reasons (I want to get Erppo to play it), but it won't be picked.

Go with something epic and interesting with DEEP AND AWESOME scoring, like, P-47 Aces.

-

On the matter of serious games, I don't know. Some later (post SoEW) PC-98 Touhou could be interesting?

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
PCB Normal is my suggestion for obvious reasons (I want to get Erppo to play it), but it won't be picked.

Would be awesome yeah but unfortunately it has to be freeware if it's to be doujin games. :(

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
It's Raiden DX, since a person really wanted to play that, which is more than what any other game game got (PoDD too but it's not a shmup :V). Also it's awesome.

PCB would have been great too but yeah, no commercial doujins allowed.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
Sine Mora is getting a PC release on the 9th.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 04:53:47 AM »
I got a DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Omote 2-All with B-Strong.

61 billion score. Not that it's any good, but I'm just glad to have the 2-all. I needed better survival strats for loop 1 so I'd have the resources to just get through loop 2 since I was being lazy and didn't practice it. Said survival strategies pretty much ended up being chaining strats.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
I got a DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Omote 2-All with B-Strong. Not that it's any good.

Not that it's any good? I can't even loop DFK.

So, I've been playing Akuu Gallet. My experience so far is picking up the hunter shot type then rage quitting because of ridiculous deaths caused by it. Probably wont even increase my 1.4m score, have zero motivation. This feels like STGT V-V for me.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
I got a DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Omote 2-All with B-Strong.

Congratulations on being able to stomach that game.  :V Now go 2-ALL something better.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
I do have some things in mind, but I'd really need to practice them. In some cases I might not have even beaten the first loop on some of them.

Of course, that autobomb DFK has really did help a lot. I'd be panic bombing so much in loop 2 if it weren't for that, and I might not have had resources to clear then. At least with the autobomb I can just focus on trying to dodge and just manually bomb some of the more ridiculous stuff. If DFK didn't have autobomb, I would have died 3 times in loop 1 on that run all on stage 5, and I wouldn't have been able to 2-All.

I do need to learn how to safely get the 3rd bee in the laser wheel section in first loop(the one on the 4th set of them) if I ever want to seriously try for Ura. I did get the bees in this run, but that one just seemed like I did it wrong and got lucky I didn't get hit. I also occasionally miss a bee in the backwards scroll too. With my current strategy, it's not exactly safe on the one laser wheels bee. I mainly go in and out of all the laser wheels in those. I can actually no hyper that section in loop 1, so that's where I got most of the 61 billion points. Accidentally got hit on the final set so I didn't fully carry the chain to the midboss. Though I don't know how to chain the final part of the stage after second midboss without hypers.

Of course, I'd actually have to find out how to dodge stuff in the loop stages for either loop if I wanted a good run.

But even then, this computer I'm currently on isn't really good for any stuff. I guess I could probably run some stuff in MAME on it. I need to get the computer I was using for gaming fixed/replaced when possible. But I don't feel like playing anything on PC right now anyway. It'll be a while for that though, but at least I have 360 shooters to play.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:33:09 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
Begin with Strikers 99

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
Begin with Strikers 99

You know I don't like that game. I'd be more likely to want to try for DFK Ura Loop, but that's quite a lot harder than Omote Loop and would therefore require that I actually grind the stages in training, even for Strong style, especially with how much I suck at Hibachi when I've tried it in training. As I mentioned elsewhere the 3 way spreads really screw up my play style.

Might try to get some DFK BL 1ccs, but I am absolutely terrible at Black Label. I'm not completely sure what the max red gauge does to the patterns, but it ruins my runs. The fact that you have to have max bombs when you pick up  bomb item to increase max bombs combined with the increased Hypering due to the harder patterns, and I don't usually even have max bombs when I pick up a bomb item.

And outside of a few of the second loop patterns, what's wrong with DFK? It's certainly a better game than DOJ BL is.

As I said it'll likely be a while before I bother with MAME stuff again anyway.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
And outside of a few of the second loop patterns, what's wrong with DFK? It's certainly a better game than DOJ BL is.

I dunno man, it's just a pain in the ass for me. I haven't even been able to 2-miss the first loop.

First problem is those annoying laser wheels. They suck up my resources like nothing else and practicing them is quite a pain too because of how long the stage is.

Second problem is that once you're used to the first four stages, they aren't very interesting or difficult but then comes Stage 5 and then they hit you with everything at once. It feels like IN where everythings a joke and then suddenly BAM there's Kaguya.

Third problem is the goddamn looping. Looping sucks. It's the most demotivating thing ever to know that you gotta go through the first loop before being able to attempt the second. It would be like having to go through UFO Normal everytime you wanted to play Lunatic. (while having to perform well on it of course).

-------
I might some day get to appreciate it more if I ever stop sucking at Stage 5 but even so it's got loops, hypers, insufferable slow-down and a very slow start so I don't see myself enjoying it more than some of the good Touhou games or Mushi Futari.

PS: DOJBL is not that great anyway. It wastes your time with a boring first loop and only has three interesting stages in the loop. Or hell, perhabs only two. (2-4/2-5)

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
That would completely trivialize it though. Unlike with a looping arcade game where it's still hard even if you're going in a loop with high resources. Unless it was something like Muchi Muchi Pork's second loop in version 1.00 where you no longer get extra lives, then maybe looping from Normal to Lunatic wouldn't trivialize it. Though only UFO really had an abusable resource system.

And I also think loops suck, but I'm not going to let a flaw like that get in the way of enjoying an otherwise decent game.