Author Topic: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!  (Read 264202 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!
« Reply #780 on: March 06, 2011, 04:00:22 AM »
Being reasonable is different from wanting more. Patchouli has had a decent number of appearances and is fairly well-fleshed-out in canon, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see more of her.

Do I think she needs to appear more? No, not really. But I certainly would like to see my favorite character again.
I know that none of my favourite characters will ever come back, so I've pretty much stopped wanting to see more of them, since I don't like exerting effort towards pointless endeavours. /shrug

If they do ever come back, it'll be an unasked-for, wonderful surprise. But liking unpopular characters is a great way to stop caring about returning characters. Because it's not going to happen with Shikieiki or Yumemi, ever. :S

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #781 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »
Nope. Aya is probably the better example. At this point, I won't whine if she doesn't get any more appearances, since she's already got  a bunch under her belt. It's called 'being reasonable'. People who can possibly want to see more Yukari after she's been in almost every entry in the Touhou series are not practicing that. >__>

I know I'm biased, but like I said, Yukari's backstory is fascinating to me and I would love to see more about her. She hasn't appeared since SA (you can't really call most appearances in Soku "appearances" since they had to be imported from SWR), and since she's probably as major a character as you can get without being a main, I wouldn't say another appearance in the not too distant future would be unreasonable to expect. At the same time, like I said I'm more than willing to see other characters take the spotlight. :S To be honest I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore, so let's drop it. In the end it's all about wants, and I certainly don't expect Yukari to appear in Ten Desires, so I'mma stop talking about this here.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #782 on: March 06, 2011, 04:53:15 AM »
I'm actually kind of expecting cameos to appear regardless, so maybe we will get something on this matter anyways. (like story endings or after fights or what not.)

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #783 on: March 06, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »
Being reasonable is different from wanting more. Patchouli has had a decent number of appearances and is fairly well-fleshed-out in canon, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see more of her.

Do I think she needs to appear more? No, not really. But I certainly would like to see my favorite character again.

I think the more fundamental difference is between to want to see more of a character, and to demand to see more of a character.

« Reply #784 on: March 06, 2011, 05:22:02 AM »
I honestly wouldn't mind just one new character. I bet she would look something like this

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #785 on: March 06, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »
Actually the old touhou template is a bit outdated. Touhous don't necessarily need headgear or even parasols anymore (see Parsee, Byakuren, Nue).

The new gimmick is for every touhou to be holding some kind of item!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #786 on: March 06, 2011, 05:58:24 AM »
Holding a hat.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #787 on: March 06, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »
Their hats should have their own hats.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #788 on: March 06, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
Double hats
all the wayyyyyy
across the skyyyyyyyyy

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #789 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
Oh boy, first it was pages of Mima now we are over to Kasen? Nobody can predict ZUN's mind. Nobody was expecting Fairy Wars. Everybody was speculating his ass off for touhou 13 and ZUN smacks people with 12.8.

I wouldn't be surprised if ZUN surprises us with the full version of 10D. Too bad we have to wait few more months for that.

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #790 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
SOILERS: every hatted touhou is like this, but the lower-layered hats are small enough to be completely covered and fool us all into thinking that there is only one

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
SOILERS: every hatted touhou is like this, but the lower-layered hats are small enough to be completely covered and fool us all into thinking that there is only one
Actually, there are hats even blow those hats, and so forth.

Infinite recursion.

FRACTAL HATS!
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
The new gimmick is for every touhou to be holding some kind of item!
UFO wasn't enough for you?

Laplace

• Crossing Demon
  • Easily confused by danmakufu
« Reply #793 on: March 06, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Actually, there are hats even blow those hats, and so forth.

Infinite recursion.

FRACTAL HATS!

Beyond the Impossible Sign; 「Infinite Mercury Infected Haberdashery of Pascal Pressure of Quark Micro Infrastructure to the MAX」
 :getdown:
desudesudesu

tbax704

• Now more gangsta...
  • With wings...
« Reply #794 on: March 06, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
I hope my computer is upgraded when ZUN released it. I want to play it without any problems 'cause I can't even play th11-12.8 without any lags

« Reply #795 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
FRACTAL HATS!

Frats?

In any case, regarding the discussion about returning characters...I'd actually rather not see old characters return as NPCs in the main games. The main games have always been there to introduce a new batch of characters into the series, and to have an old character return to fill in a slot a new character could have occupied feels kind of like we're being gypped at this point. That's what the decimal games are for; sometimes they'll add a new character or two (Suika, Tenshi, Iku, Hatate), but most of the cast will be returning characters who get their backgrounds fleshed out a bit more.

In addition, some characters not being as fleshed out as others will, for better or worse, just give the fandom more freedom to make their own interpretations of a character. Using Flandre as an example (only because she's one of my favorite characters and I've talked about bringing her back before), it's entirely possible my interpretation of her would be completely contrary to what ZUN imagined and, being the strict canon-follower I am, I'd have to drop or at the very least change my interpretation of her to suit ZUN's new information.

tl;dr, main games are for adding new characters, and the fans/decimal games/print works can flesh out the rest.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #796 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
One thing I really liked about SA was how the many different shottypes led to many different sets of dialogue and endings, giving both the new characters more chances to establish themselves as well as giving the old characters chosen for youkai partners the chance to flesh themselves out. Three-way dialogues can also show things two-way-dialogues can't, and especially showing the interaction of the new characters with a larger set of old characters than in the other games.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #797 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
For me, Fairy Wars was a great treat. I mean, my favorite character who doesn't have a name, theme, lines, story have appeared again!

By the way, so how will we call Ten Desires? TD or 10D?

tbax704

• Now more gangsta...
  • With wings...
« Reply #798 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
I wish ZUN uses the cool old bombing sequence like the one on Imperishable Night for Ten Desires

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #799 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
a friend found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms
so if zun based the game somewhat on that concept
there must be 4 extra stages
for each character??

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #800 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »
a friend found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms
so if zun based the game somewhat on that concept
there must be 4 extra stages
for each character??

Why would you think of extra stages, if there is the much more likely stage 4 gimmick to be had? If IN had two different bosses and SA pretty much had six i wouldn't be a surprise if stage 4 somehow had four different bosses this time or the four playables dueling it out against each other.

Predicting:
Stage 1: Hunger (Yuyuko is back!)
Stage 2: Animality
Stage 3: Arrogance
Stage 4: Four Noble Realms (as said above)
Stage 5: Humanity (because stage 5 bosses tend to be humans that turn playable in later games, maybe?)
Stage 6: Heaven
Stage EX: Hell
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:29:29 PM by 7TC7 »
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

« Reply #801 on: March 06, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
Why would you think of extra stages, if there is the much more likely stage 4 gimmick to be had? If IN had two different bosses and SA pretty much had six i wouldn't be a surprise if stage 4 somehow had four different bosses this time or the four playables dueling it out against each other.

Learning (Truth through outside sources): Vs. Marisa
Realization (Truth through internal perceptions): Vs. Reimu
Bodhisattvahood (Aspires for enlightenment through helping others): Vs. Youmu
Buddhahood (Freedom from delusion, suffering, and anger): Vs. Sanae

I honestly wouldn't mind just one new character. I bet she would look something like this
I was surprised to find someone made a new one of these, but I honestly shouldn't have been since the last one already got turned into Satori.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:48:11 PM by WhiteMageChocobo »

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #802 on: March 06, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
I was surprised to find someone made a new one of these, but I honestly shouldn't have been since the last one already got turned into Satori.
That one was turned into Hatate.....  :V

« Reply #803 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
If you think about it, this game could be much bigger than the other games, as Zun is putting back spell practice, we'll most likely have last words, and considering Zun worked on small projects like fairy wars between, he possibly put more time on ten desires?

I'd love to see a phantasm stage along with the spell practice anyways : P

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #804 on: March 06, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
I wish ZUN uses the cool old bombing sequence like the one on Imperishable Night for Ten Desires

Old bombing sequence?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #805 on: March 06, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
Predicting:
Stage 1: Hunger (Yuyuko is back!)
Stage 2: Animality
Stage 3: Arrogance
Stage 5: Humanity (because stage 5 bosses tend to be humans that turn playable in later games, maybe?)
Stage 6: Heaven
Stage EX: Hell

. . . And which of these a cemetery would belong to ?

Drake

« Reply #806 on: March 06, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
Ugh, really? Nothing in IN had any feeling at all. Everything is just HOLY SHIT RANDOM FLASHING THING! I'M NOT EVEN QUITE SURE WHAT IT IS! ENEMIES ARE DEAD. There's no personality to any of them. Even PCB's bombs were better.

I know I'd like to see Duplex Barrier again in this new style.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
HOLY SHIT RANDOM FLASHING THING! I'M NOT EVEN QUITE SURE WHAT IT IS! ENEMIES ARE DEAD.
oh my god I want this to play before bosses

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
That would be pretty awesome yes but isn't it a little early to say that the enemies are dead? Just before a boss?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #809 on: March 06, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Bombs do not need personality. They're bombs. They explode. It's what they do.