Author Topic: Touhouvania 2!!!  (Read 82007 times)

Touhouvania 2!!!
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IG_672A_UI

There are no words. I have not been this excited for a new game in a long, long time.

Apparently, like how the first one was a retelling of EoSD, this will be a retelling of PCB. Sakuya is the main character, with Meiling as a summon. You can read more about it in the video's description.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Touhouvania 2!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:34:16 AM »
I was actually kinda dissapointed with the original because it was too much straight-up plain old platformer for my tastes. I am not a big platformer guy and can only really enjoy them if it has rpg-esque elements like pretty much all the non-nes/snes Castlevania games (symphony of the night, the ds ones, etc). Looks like this game is the same. The game itself wasn't bad I suppose, just not what I wanted.

But man am I looking forward to the new art at least, Touhouvania has super shmexy art. I always thought Yuyuko was one of the better looking characters in Touhou, so seeing their impression of her will be exciting. Alice might turn out pretty cool too

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »
Please tell me the second summon is Patchouli :ohdear:

But man am I looking forward to the new art at least, Touhouvania has super shmexy art. I always thought Yuyuko was one of the better looking characters in Touhou, so seeing their impression of her will be exciting. Alice might turn out pretty cool too
Alice was in the first one already. :V

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:12:11 AM »
You know what would make this game interesting? if those obstacles that looked like monsters and spikes could actually hurt you. I'll pass until I see something that looks tougher than your average Kirby game. :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:05:06 AM »
Uhhh. Touhouvania was NOT as easy as a Kirby game... It was actually approximately as difficult as the original castlevania

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:13:10 AM »
You know what would make this game interesting? if those obstacles that looked like monsters and spikes could actually hurt you. I'll pass until I see something that looks tougher than your average Kirby game. :V

I'm going to put it very bluntly.

You're stupid.

If you've ever played the original Touhouvania, you'd know that spikes are one-hit-kills, and there's a plethora of things that can hurt you, badly. And don't even get me started on the bosses.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:26 AM »
I was actually kinda dissapointed with the original because it was too much straight-up plain old platformer for my tastes. I am not a big platformer guy and can only really enjoy them if it has rpg-esque elements like pretty much all the non-nes/snes Castlevania games (symphony of the night, the ds ones, etc). Looks like this game is the same. The game itself wasn't bad I suppose, just not what I wanted.

I can't wait for more of that Sakuya art. So elegant, so sexy, so evil. It looks like it's not quite as nintendo hard as the first one as well (I'm preparing to eat these words btw). I'm with you on wanting more rpg elements though, I grew up on NES games so I'm all set on crazy hard platforming bullshit thanks. The regenerating stamina/mana bar (that seems to fuel a SotN-esque multi-slash move) gives me hope that we're moving in the right direction at least.

EDIT: Oh god I want a SotN clone so bad. Youmu as Alucard maybe, Komachi as Death, and parts of the Castle could be Gensokyo and and and...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:38:45 AM by spookedmoose »

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:55:58 AM »
I'm going to put it very bluntly.

You're stupid.

If you've ever played the original Touhouvania, you'd know that spikes are one-hit-kills, and there's a plethora of things that can hurt you, badly. And don't even get me started on the bosses.

I think your perception of difficulty has been warped by these newer Castlevania games. If you want hard, try Haunted Castle.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
I think your perception of difficulty has been warped by these newer Castlevania games. If you want hard, try Haunted Castle.

I think Haunted Castle AC was harder than the original Famicom games because of some changes with how fast Simon moved, mainly, he became very sluggish so it got hard to avoid getting hurt by enemies and traps. Oh, and Stage 2 is going to give people massive fits too.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »
I don't think insults are really warrented but this isn't really a "I play harder games than you and am more macho" point. The simple fact is the original is harder than a kirby game.

The youtube video is PROBABLY featuring level one.. So chances are it looks easy right now. I too want a SoTN-like Touhouvania, and yes I'm aware that SoTN wasn't very difficult, it was darn fun though >=). I'm totally stoked about the new Castlevania Coming out in like 2 weeks, eeeek! I'm just going to be really pissed if they dump dracula and/or Death in this whole "reboot" business. I'll also be pissed (though I'm expecting it to be so) that they dump the castle. I personally loved exploring the fancy gothic castle. Not many games have them, I'm not sure why stupid retard reviewers often talk about how dusty, tired, etc it is. Oh yeah, cuz like detailed leaves and rocks in forests and caves is REALLY more interesting than detailed stained glass windows and Victorian furnature.. riiight.

Anyway, back on topic.... I wonder if this is really going to be "Touhouvania 2" Or rather a sequal to the first with "castlevania" gameplay, but not really art. I mean clearly the castle and the SDM cast are castlevania-esque (as was Marisa, Reimu, etc). But the netherworld crew doesn't have as much reason to be as gothy as the SDM cast, so maybe the art will take a turn in other directions. I kinda doubt it but..Eh, I'm just excited to see it.

I hope patchy gets a remake, her original art was relatively boring IMO, she looked more like Sypha than Patchy, and Sypha wasn't even interesting looking anyway.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I hope patchy gets a remake, her original art was relatively boring IMO, she looked more like Sypha than Patchy, and Sypha wasn't even interesting looking anyway.

I think that was the point, Ghaleon.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
I think that was the point, Ghaleon.

I think it was too, doesn't mean I have to like it though =p.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
I've never played them. I likely never will. And I don't want "hard", I want "fun with an entertaining storyline and damn good art".

I think that the PCB cast could work with a gothic appearance. Many of them have designs that already lean more toward European styles than Japanese styles, like Yukari, Alice, and the Prismrivers. Even in the first game, Reimu and Meiling proved that a more oriental design can be tweaked to fit perfectly with the feel of the game. In any case, Chen obviously got a complete design overhaul, so I'm really looking forward to the other characters.

I did think that Patchouli turned out a bit bland in her redesign, but...I dunno, it seems to work for some reason. But Meiling and Sakuya already look better, so who knows. A simple pose change could be just what she needs.

On a similar note, I'm very glad that they actually have expressions in the portraits now instead of those head symbols. Questioning Sakuya looks ADORABLE.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »

Haunted Castle is not hard at all, unless you're playing version M...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:44:53 PM by Master Bigode »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
The youtube video is PROBABLY featuring level one.. So chances are it looks easy right now.
Specifically it's probably the first level, and the games creator is playing it.  He always used the right subweapon and I saw a whole bunch of time where he tossed out a Meiling to hit an offscreen enemy because he knew it'd be a pain later.

Also noticed that some bullets just cruised through Sakuya's sprite while she was standing.  I'm wondering if she has the flight sized hitbox on all the time in order to make up for limited flight.  For that matter I'm wondering if patterns will be changed to make up for that or if the game's just going to be harder.

I noticed the "inscribed soul" attack seemed to use the flight gauge.  Wonder if anything else does....

I too want a SoTN-like Touhouvania, and yes I'm aware that SoTN wasn't very difficult, it was darn fun though >=).
Yeah.  I'm hoping (probably in vain) these might be the foundations of something that awesome.  Heck I just want the exploring.  I'd live with Order of Ecclastia hard mode difficulty just for that.

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »
Oh man, flight got nerfed hard.  This looks seriously good though, even better than the first.  Chen looks amazing, too.

If this follows the pattern of the first game, then Chen is probably the second summon.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
Oh man, flight got nerfed hard.

It was pretty cheap in the first game. You could pretty much bypass any level by flying through it. You'd have no ammo for ranged attacks, but at least you wouldn't be dead.

I guess that would be explained by the fact that Reimu's ability is listed as "the ability to fly through the sky", so she probably has more hax flying abilities than Sakuya.

Also HOW DID I NOT NOTICE SOUL SCULPTURE ATTACK

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
It was pretty cheap in the first game. You could pretty much bypass any level by flying through it. You'd have no ammo for ranged attacks, but at least you wouldn't be dead.

I guess that would be explained by the fact that Reimu's ability is listed as "the ability to fly through the sky", so she probably has more hax flying abilities than Sakuya.

Also HOW DID I NOT NOTICE SOUL SCULPTURE ATTACK
Hey, Touhouvania 2 is better since Sakuya traded in Reimu's flight ability for actually viable projectiles.

Also, backdash knives, soul scripture, knife barrage, and time stop slash.

Meiling kick apparently is as powerful as she was in the first game, ahaha.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

gabrielwoj

• Is that someone did a 2D Touhou?
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
Wow!  :o
I still even beat the first one... No time to play :D
Now this one is more like the new castlevanias...
I hope will have soul abilities (I don't saw the whole video, that's because!)
Image on the Avatar by: xephonia-d35lvsi

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
So, I heard something about a demo or somesuch for this. That true or not?

EDIT: Holy crap, Chen is amazing looking~

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
I'll also be pissed (though I'm expecting it to be so) that they dump the castle. I personally loved exploring the fancy gothic castle. Not many games have them, I'm not sure why stupid retard reviewers often talk about how dusty, tired, etc it is. Oh yeah, cuz like detailed leaves and rocks in forests and caves is REALLY more interesting than detailed stained glass windows and Victorian furnature.. riiight.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »
Neat. I was hoping for less linear/repetitive level design, but judging from the video that isn't happening.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »

I don't know WTF that is supposed to mean. This isn't 4chan so some of us don't know how to translate unrelated pics into English.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
Limiting the time you can fly I can understand, but the movement speed now is...bad. :V

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
So, I heard something about a demo or somesuch for this. That true or not?

EDIT: Holy crap, Chen is amazing looking~

Apparently there was a demo released at a recent event, but no downloadable demo is released yet. A quick search didn't even turn up a website for the game, just an entry on the developer's blog.

Limiting the time you can fly I can understand, but the movement speed now is...bad. :V

I'm not sure how I didn't notice it before, but yeah, flight speed is crap now. Now I'm kind of worried that the bosses are going to be a pain, since it'll be harder to do quick air dodges. Maybe it'll turn out to not be so bad, though.

I'm still wondering how useful the time ability will be. It stops whatever's been hit from moving, but we don't really know if that works on bosses or not. If it does, then more power to it, but I can't see myself using it very often otherwise.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
How the pocketwatch works varies. Some enemies are completely frozen in time, while some are just slowed down(and it appears that the extent of the time slow may vary, too). The big thing it does I've noticed is that it will halt traps. In the first room, the chandeliers stop dropping, and zombies stop spawning. In the room with the floor panels that spin around after being stood upon, they don't trigger at all(and the skeleton/bat combo at the end becomes a joke to take care of). It will be situational, but pretty useful when the need arises(Like the final room on hard mode).

Completely useless against Chen.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
Actually, Sakuya's flight is better than Reimu's flight because of two things:

• Sakuya's flight is slower than Reimu's flight, i.e. focus mode.
  • NO CRAZY REIMU INERTIA.

How the pocketwatch works varies. Some enemies are completely frozen in time, while some are just slowed down(and it appears that the extent of the time slow may vary, too). The big thing it does I've noticed is that it will halt traps. In the first room, the chandeliers stop dropping, and zombies stop spawning. In the room with the floor panels that spin around after being stood upon, they don't trigger at all(and the skeleton/bat combo at the end becomes a joke to take care of). It will be situational, but pretty useful when the need arises(Like the final room on hard mode).

Completely useless against Chen.
Yeah, pocketwatch is completely situational, but this stage looks like it doesn't require any mandatory use.

Also, apparently the length of the time stop (3 seconds) is a subtle JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. Or at least, someone noticed that.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
 Do want.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
Yeah, pocketwatch is completely situational, but this stage looks like it doesn't require any mandatory use.

Also, apparently the length of the time stop (3 seconds) is a subtle JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. Or at least, someone noticed that.

I can't remember whose ZA WARUDO lasted for 3 seconds.

Either way, Pocketwatch is situational the way Stopwatch in the CV games was situational

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »
I heard the first game controlled horribly, had really weird hit detection and other bad gameplay elements, which is why I lost interest in it after it came out. Did they ever fix all or most of that in a patch?