Author Topic: The White Rose of Chireiden  (Read 135878 times)

Gpop

Re: The White Rose of Chireiden
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
Dammit Nobu I had my hopes up!

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »
Consistent updates? HA HA OLD CHAP WHAT ARE THOSE :V

This is... I've been dragging my heels on this for a while now. It's the last update. Well, not for the fic as a whole. The last update for the first act of the story, which is easily the longest and hardest thing I have ever written. This story was originally meant to be so much shorter... heh. Instead, this fic has been over a year in the making already.

I'm suddenly nervous... geh. I really hated some parts of this to write; I think you'll know which ones. And yet...

Look, I'm not a cynic. Not by far. I hate breaking characters. I hate bad endings.

So I promise any of my readers who are discouraged by what I am about to post here that I will not leave things this way. I will do my best with these characters that I'm leasing from ZUN. I cannot tell you much, because then the endings will lose their emotional impact, but... I will tell you this. I am not one of those writers who refuses to give their characters good endings just because they didn't have one themselves.

Just have a little faith in me. I will try my best not to let you down.

Is that all said and done? Great. Now comes the meat of the thing. White Rose, First Arc, Last Update.

Ready? Let's go.

Koishi rubs her eyes. The strain of these hours of panic is taking its toll on her. She is starting to feel a peculiar gnawing in her stomach now-- the hunger that she hasn't satisfied. At this point, on a normal day, she should be downstairs, in the dining room, devouring delicious, beautiful food that the palace cooks have prepared for them, with her sister sitting next to her, reminding her to wipe her mouth and not speak with her mouth open.

She frowns, and she makes a distinction between the warm feeling of the food and the feeling of her sister next to her.

She has made up her mind that she never wants to see Satori again. So she grits her teeth and suppresses the memory.

?Hmph.?

It?s Alice who grunts this time, as she hops to the ground. She may be small, but she is by no means a child, even though her clothing seems to indicate otherwise. There is, however, an unmistakable authority in her tone as she turns to Luize.

?I?ve seen enough. Let?s go start packing.?

?Ah? We?re leaving?? Luize should have blinked, but her eyes are half-lidded, or closed. It is hard to tell, since the rock?s shadow falls right over her face.

?We will be, soon,? Alice replies, casting a last glance over her shoulder at where she lost sight of her mother. ?There are things to take care of before we leave, though. Namely, how we?re going to smuggle her.?

Koishi sees Alice pointing at her, but it still takes a moment to register that she?s the one being talked about.

?Smuggle?? she raises an eyebrow.

?You don?t know what that is?? Alice looks surprised.

Koishi shakes her head. ?I?ve, uh... only ever heard that word in the context of cargo being moved through Chireiden without being taxed. And it?s always a bad thing.?

?Ah.? Alice chuckles. ?No, not at all. You?re not cargo, it?s just a metaphor. I?m trying to figure out a way to get you out of here without my mother noticing.?

Koishi feels her face heat up. ?Oh. Sorry for not getting it.?

?It's fine.? Alice smiles at Koishi. Her eyebrows come down, as she narrows her eyes, looking Koishi up and down as her hand comes up to her chin.

?W-what is it?? Koishi asks.

?You're... just about my height. In fact... Luize, would you??

?Certainly.?

Luize reaches up her arms and opens them. Alice hops off the rock and into Luize's embrace. There is some affection there, but Koishi finds that she does not understand why it is. Still, it is there in the short look that the two females give each other.

Koishi finds it odd that somehow she does not understand. She should be able to see clearly.

But the short look is still short. Luize sets Alice down, and Alice straightens out her dress, then turns to Koishi.

?I think it'd be best if she came with me,? Alice says. She's looking at Koishi, but she's really speaking to Luize. ?She's just my size. She could easily hide in my private palanquin. That?s a carriage,? she adds for Koishi?s benefit, who nods.

?Didn't you come with Shinki-sama on the way here, Alice?? Luize asks.

?Yes, but there's no way we're traveling back the same way.? There is a tone of subtle irritation in Alice's tone; Koishi wonders why.

It bothers her that she wonders why. She clearly recalls being able to see things like this with ease.

Luize sees it too, and nods. ?How should we get her to your carriage??

?That should be easy.? Alice brushes some dust off her knee-length blue skirt. ?Right now, the army is in chaos. Koishi here is tiny enough that no one will take notice of her.?

?Your mother told the army that it was going underground to reconquer Chireiden,? Luize muses aloud. ?Not a word was said about the satori.?

?And you're forgetting, no one from Makai has seen an underground youkai in over a lifetime,? Alice points out. ?No one knows what they look like, excepting the oni.? Alice grins.

Luize doesn't look convinced. Alice goes on. ?Trust me, it'll be fine. We can say she's one of those adorable tsurube-otoshi things.?

?The ones with the buckets??

?Sure, whatever.? Alice waves it off. ?It'll be fine. Trust me.?

Koishi has a question. She wonders if it's best to ask it now.

Why not? She feels like it. She looks at Alice, who meets her gaze with an even, blue-eyed stare.

?Why are you helping me??

?Because it will infuriate my mother,? Alice replies without hesitation. ?She came down to kill all you satori. She will fail, if I have anything to say about it.?

?I see.? Koishi can understand that much. ?So, not because you're just being nice.?

?Well, not entirely--? Alice begins, and sighs. ?Well, there is a bit of that. I'd tell you... but how about I just show you, later? I'm not entirely benevolent, but I?m not just exploiting you, I promise.?

Koishi nods, not answering.

?Alice, we should probably do that soon,? Luize cuts in. ?The negotiations will soon be drawing to a close. We need to get going if we're going to hide Koishi in your carriage.?

?Sure. Ah--? She looks around, and puts her finger against her chin. ?Wait. I just realized something.?

?What is it?? Luize asks.

?Lu-chan, I need you to go to my carriage and get me a blanket or a cape or some of my old clothes.? She looks at Koishi up and down. ?There's no way I'll be able to get her into my carriage if she isn't wearing something to look like a servant. Get me some clothes for her, please.?

Koishi looks down at herself. Torn sandals, dirty and burnt white/bloodstained kimono, unkempt hair-- the works. It took her a moment to realize that she looked extremely suspicious.

Luize nods. ?Will do. Please stay here, Alice.?

?Of course,? Alice calls after Luize as the older woman tips her hat and walks off in the other direction, leaving the two girls alone for a while.

Alice looks at Koishi, who sees fit to reply to her statement from earlier.

?I don't really care.?

?Eh?? Alice blinks. ?Care about what??

?Why you're helping me. I don't care. I just want to get out of this place.?

The blonde girl frowns, and combined with the look in her eyes, it is an expression that Koishi has learned to associate with unsatisfied curiousity. But to her credit, she restrains herself, and her mouth narrows into a thin line as she swallows her question and nods. ?That's fine. I won't ask why.?

Koishi nods back. There begins to be a commotion; the negotiations between Higan, Chireiden, and Makai must be over, and though they cannot see it from here, the reaction moves like a ripple through the armies of Makai, who begin to move to the right. Koishi knows that from where she stands, the cave where they invaded from should be somewhere in that direction.

But Luize hasn't returned yet. Alice doesn't move, regardless; she seems to be unworried by the mass of demons that begin to shuffle slowly in the direction of Makai's tents. Koishi, though, feels a faint sense of unease, and instinctively backs away from the movement of the crowd, hiding in the shadow of a stalagmite further behind.

A gust of wind at Koishi's back is different, but not particularly worrying-- not compared to all that swarming mass of demons, any of whom can turn and recognize that she's no demon of Makai. In fact, she doesn't start worrying until Alice turns to follow Koishi with her eyes-- and then her blue eyes go wide, and her composure breaks.

A split second before Alice hisses in a panicked voice, ?Behind you!? Koishi realizes that there's someone behind her, and that it's someone she knows.

So she turns to look, and immediately wishes she could hide from that gaze, the red-eyed gaze of a companion betrayed.

?Koishi,? Utsuho says in a husky voice, tear tracks on her cheeks. ?I've been looking for you.?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:03 AM »
Koishi reacted as if she'd been struck by lightning.

Maybe it was an imperfect analogy, if only because Utsuho had only seen lightning once, at a distance. When flying up to the skylight in the roof far, far above the Palace of the Earth Spirits, she had seen what she had later learned was a thunderstorm, and had been fortunate enough to see lightning shoot down from the sky and cleave a tree in half.

That was Koishi now. She looked as if she had been cut in two by just looking at Utsuho. Her face, beneath all the grime and blood, was pale with terror. Was she afraid Utsuho would attack her? Why for?

?Koishi-sama,? she said, addressing her master more formally now as she reached her hand out to her. But instead of bringing Koishi back to her senses, she shook her head and backed away, pressing her back to the large rock that had nearly concealed her perfectly from the air. Utsuho had been lucky to find her; she had been flying over the wreckage of the city, and against all the black charred wood and scorched rock, Koishi's stark white hair stood out.

Normally, she should have been the one being found, not the other way around. In the past, if they had been separated, then Koishi would have sought her with her Third Eye and found her that way. Speaking of-- why was she surprised by Utsuho's appearance here? Shouldn't she have seen her coming? Why was she scared, anyway?

?What's wrong?? she asked. ?Koishi, it's me. Okuu.?

?O-Okuu,? Koishi stammered, still recoiling as if Utsuho's offered hand was a pointed stinger. ?U... Utsuho.?

?Yes,? Utsuho replied, wondering what was wrong with Koishi.

?Utsuho,? a much clearer voice rang out from in front of her.

Somehow, she hadn't noticed. But standing off to the side was--

?Alice,? she introduced herself. ?Daughter of Shinki, God-Empress of Makai.?

?A-Alice,? Utsuho repeated, and now it was she that was stammering like a child. But Alice was poised, looking far older than her little-kid clothing hinted at. Her blue eyes were staring at Utsuho, and there was something there that she wasn't saying.

?Is this your master, Utsuho?? she asked, waving a hand at Koishi, who was still shaking, slumped against the rock, holding one arm with her other.

?Yes, she is,? the hellcrow replied. ?She ran away earlier. I've come to look for her, to bring her back to her sister.?

?B-back to Satori?!? Koishi asked, panic on every feature of her face.

?Yes. And I wanted to see you myse--? but Utsuho didn't get a chance to finish, since Koishi was going into some kind of hysteria. She was shaking her head and muttering something, quickly beginning to scream out her murmurings.

?Nononononononono not Satori I never want to see her again I never want to see her again I never want to see her again nonono not now not ever I never want to see her face again--?

?Koishi-sama! Please control yourself!? Utsuho turned away from Alice and put her hands on Koishi's shoulders, holding her upright against the rock as she went into hysterics.

?Nonono I never want to see Satori again don't make me see her again I never want to see anyone again I want to get out of here--?

Koishi's eyes were closed and her teeth were clenched, and sweat was breaking out on her forehead. Utsuho's instincts took over and she tried to pull Koishi away from the rock to hug her.

?Please, Koishi, calm down-- I won't make you do anything--?

But Koishi was still shaking. Utsuho hugged her regardless. ?Shh, shh.?

There was a burning feeling in Utsuho's throat as she pressed Koishi to her chest and held her tight. She had a sudden image of Koishi wearing a white hakama streaked with ash with a frayed, burnt edge-- with a grin on her face. It was from back then, that time, when they had teamed up to save the Kasha ghetto and had ended up meeting Orin. She had been confident then, sure of herself, in the midst of danger, but content.

This wasn't the same Koishi. Not anymore, at least. There was no way the white-haired girl in her arms was the same girl who had declared with conviction that her father and sister would take in someone without a family so long ago.

This was a different Koishi-- one who had been, perhaps, in the making for a while, but hadn't been able to come out until today, when their world had fallen apart around them.

Utsuho's throat felt like it was on fire.

Without her noticing, Koishi had begun to calm down. Her shaking had lessened, and her words had lost the paranoid mania they'd had earlier. Utsuho's right hand continued rubbing her back through the thin cotton of her hakama, and somewhere in the back of her mind, she noticed that for some reason, Koishi's skin was ice-cold.

?Koishi?? Utsuho asked her again. But this time, instead of recoiling, Koishi nodded without enthusiasm, and looked up at her.

?Are you all right?? she asked.

?I've... been better.? Koishi shakes her head, and her still-startling white hair moves with it. ?Why are you here??

?I... uh.?

This was the one question Utsuho wasn't prepared for. How was she to explain ?because of the mind rape you did to Yumeko, Shinki went into a rage, and the only way to calm her down and get her out of Chireiden was to offer myself as a slave in your place, and now I'm never going to see the people I love again??

Well, that would work, but it was a bit wordy. She really should have thought this out a bit more.

?I... I don't know how to explain,? Utsuho began. ?Ah... did you hear about how we signed a peace accord, and now Shinki's leaving??

?Yes. We watched it from atop the rock.?

?'We'??

Koishi pointed to behind the hellcrow. ?Alice and I.?

Utsuho did not dare turn around to see. ?Ah... okay. But Koishi, did you see what went on??

?No.? Her master lifted her face, and the hellcrow could see the whites of her eyes, now reddened by tears mixed with ash. ?Why??

?B-because...? Utsuho struggled to get this right. ?Because... uh. Because I-- er, you-- well--? She cut herself off. ?Argh, I can't get it just perfect, so I'll spit it out instead.?

?What??

?Koishi, Shinki wanted your head, and I convinced her to take me hostage in your place.?

Utsuho swallowed. Koishi paused, and then looked up at her.

Her next word made her feel as if she had frozen in place.

?So??

Some detached part of Utsuho noticed that Alice was watching off to the side. But the rest of her was... confused, and worried, and suddenly angry.

She coughed. ?Koishi-sama, I don't think I explained correctly. For what you did to Yumeko, Shinki wanted you to be her slave... and I don't think she would have just let you go easily.?

Koishi nodded. ?I got that much.?

?And then, I stepped forward, and took your punishment on my shoulders,? Utsuho finished, the end of her voice faltering. There was something wrong here. Koishi's eyes were half-obscured by the shadow of the rock next to them, but even then, there was a gleam in her eyes that wasn't there anymore.

Koishi nodded again. ?Like I said, I got that much.?

Utsuho felt a strange feeling of dread setting down in her stomach.

?Then,? she stammered, ?why did you say 'so'??

?Because it's what I think. Why do I care if you've done something like that??

That detached part of her noticed that even Alice was slightly wide-eyed in shock. But the rest of Utsuho was in shock, too.

?Koishi-sama... what are you say--?

?Koishi. Leave off the title.?

?What are you saying, Koishi?! Are you saying that you-- you--?

It was hard for her to choke the words out. This was something out of her worst nightmares.

No, no, please don't say what I think you're going to say...

?Yes, I'm saying exactly that,? Koishi replied.

Please don't please don't please don't please don't please dont please dont pleasedontplrasedontpleasedontpleasedont PLEASE DON'T SAY IT

?Why does something like that matter to me??

Please, no--

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »
When Utsuho said that she didn't remember the time her parents died, she was lying.

Granted, she hadn't been there-- or else she would have been dead too. But she had seen it from a distance, in a way.

When her family had left to make their fateful trip, they had been heading to another town to scout out a new place to live. They had nothing against Chireiden, to be fair-- they just wanted to move, to some place where the only opportunities to advance in society did not depend on the whims of the nobility, and in this her family was already made up of outcasts-- with an otherwise excellent reputation, but outcasts nonetheless.

Most of the youkai in the yatagarasu community showed complete indifference to their situation; for them, just having a place to roost was fine, and the tribute of their children to the satori nobles as servants was enough advancement.

Not so for the Reiuzi family. Utsuho did recall asking her parents why they had to go to another city, if she could grow up here and be just fine. And her mother had given her father a look, and taken her aside, placed Utsuho on her lap, and said, ?because we want you to succeed on your own merits?.

Utsuho didn't know what merit was at the time, but she nodded, and her father behind her ruffled her hair. Her mother batted her father's hand away with a laugh and pulled out a comb to brush out her hair, and then tied a green bow into it.

?We can't take you with us,? her father said, kneeling before her as her mother combed her hair. ?We're leaving cousin Kyou with you, so stay safe, okay?? He kissed her forehead, and his face was covered in shadow.

Utsuho looked up-- the family, her parents, her mother's siblings, her older cousins, and every other member of the family that was old enough to go-- they were standing, their packs over their backs, waiting for Utsuho's parents to say their goodbyes. They were at the entrance to the tunnel along the far edge of the Hell of Blazing Fires, a tunnel cut through the rock just a bit above the lava table-- like a water table, but for lava instead. It was a relatively short tunnel, compared to the rest of the perilous journey they were overtaking.

?But everyone else gets to go with their parents,? Utsuho complained. ?Yatagarasu travel in families, no matter how big they are. And they don't leave the kids behind.?

?Yes, but...? her father sighed. ?This is just too dangerous a trip. The nearest underground city is kilometers and kilometers away. We can't take any small children.?

?We'll be back before you know it,? her mother reassured her, hugging her from behind. ?Promise.?

?All right,? Utsuho smiled. She was still a cheerful child back then, warm and trusting. Kyou, an older cousin who Utsuho no longer quite remembered, took her hand, and said goodbye to her own parents as the family parted.

?Ciao, bella,? her father called out, and her mother blew her a kiss as they walked down the tunnel, illuminated on the inside through the windows that opened up to the Hell of Blazing Fires.

It was supposed to be the most peaceful area of the massive lava pool that was the Hell of Blazing Fires. And it was, for the most part. Except for today.

Kyou and Utsuho held each other's hands, waving goodbye to their family as they walked down the tunnel, not wanting to leave until their families were out of sight. So it might have been fated that they were the ones to see that lava wave coming at the wall.

Kyou noticed first. She was taller. ?What the...? she muttered to herself. Her fist suddenly clenched around her young cousin?s; Utsuho winced, and looked up to see the same thing, only closer. ?Is that a wave...?

She snapped out of her panic then, looking down at Utsuho and with a strength born of life-threatening terror, picked her up and hurled her away from the tunnel entrance. ?Quick! Get someplace safe!?

Stunned, Utsuho lay, her skin peeled off of her right knee, watching Kyou run down the tunnel like a screaming madwoman, screeching out a warning to the family. She was still in a state of mild shock when she looked off to the side and saw a massive tidal wave of lava ready to slam into the wall. Panic slapped her in the face, and she regained her reason just in time to see the windows break open and lava fill the inside of the tunnel.

Utsuho bolted, picking herself up and getting out of the way of the lava, on little more than pure survival instinct. As soon as she got clear, she turned back around, and looked down.

She immediately regretted it. The lava had choked up the entire tunnel, having smashed through the thin rock of the tunnel with ease. Lava splattered on her left leg, and she cried out in pain, falling to the ground. She crawled backwards on her arms, her dusty clothes tearing beneath her in her mad scamble.

Youkai or not, she knew on instinct that a burn from lava would continue to hurt her right foot for months. A yatagarasu was even more resilient to lava than most, but?

Utsuho looked down. The tunnel was flooded out with lava. The weak wall of the tunnel, worn down by decades of exposure to heat, had given out entirely, and though the lava was starting to fall back out, it wasn?t leaving anything in its wake. She knew that nothing could have survived that. Still in a slight daze, she got to her feet, her mind blocking out the pain of her burning right foot. She made her way down the slope leading to the tunnel, and looked out over the receding lava to see what she could.

?Mom! Dad! MOM! DAD!?

Over in the shallows, she could see-- something, and then she didn't want to know what it was. As the lava drained from the tunnel, she could see a writhing mass of-- a youkai, burnt and smoldering. It was not yelling, and Utsuho realized only later that it was probably because its lungs had been melted. But it was flailing, and being pulled along by the receding tide of lava, returning to the Hell of Blazing Fires.

?KYOU!? It could only be her-- she had been the only member of the family that wasn't immediately swept away. Utsuho made as if to save her-- and then she realized that a sizeable river of lava still separated them. Kyou writhed on the ground, not screaming, as the receding tide tugged at her-- legs? She didn't have any anymore-- and then Utsuho made up her mind that she WOULD save her.

Her wings were still there-- she had never managed to complete the transformation to human-youkai form-- and so, without hesitation, she leapt over. Her wings beat harder than they ever had before to hold up her small frame, and she winced as her right leg dipped into the lava. She jerked it up, seconds too late, as she made her way to what was left of her cousin.

Kyou was almost entirely drowned. Her upper body was all that was hanging on, and it was charred black, all but unrecognizable. But her right hand-- minus a few fingers-- was still flailing wildly in the air, and even knowing that the lava dripping off of her arm, Utsuho was determined to take it.

So she did, and it came off in her hand.

Utsuho screamed.

No more did the remains move. What was left of Kyou fell back, sucked away by the lava returning to the Hell of Blazing Fires. The ground hissed, the lava cooling to create a new floor for the broken tunnel.

Utsuho held Kyou's burnt, melting arm in her right hand, oblivious to the dripping of lava onto her own arm, and without realizing it, her wings beat and drew her away from that scene of horror.

-----

It was a few hours later, when she came to her senses, sitting cross-legged on the ground in front of the yatagarasu nesting grounds, that she realized that she was still carrying Kyou's arm. The lava had indeed dripped off the arm and onto her own, and there were burn marks over her right hand and arm. Similarly, her right foot and leg were burnt badly while her left ankle was also damaged, and were only just beginning to scab over.

She joked to herself that someday, she would have to get a new right arm and right leg, but that was for later. For now, all she could think of to do was to...

She grunted, and with her left hand, she pushed herself up to a standing position, and fell back down. She grit her teeth and pushed herself back up with more force this time, and before she could fall back again, she jammed her right foot beneath her. Her full weight was on her right leg now, and she gasped at the pain. Her right foot might as well have still been on fire. Blinking away a tear of pain, she took a breath and pushed herself up, and stood there, wavering a bit before she caught herself.

Her right sleeve was gone. So she pulled her left sleeve off and tore part of it into strips. She tied it gingerly around her right foot and leg, securing it with cloth strips. Her makeshift bandage wouldn't last long, but at least it would keep any rocks from injuring her in the meanwhile.

Blinking away some more tears of pain, she adjusted her shirt and unfurled her small wings again. Using her wings as support, she hopped her way back down to the path to the tunnels.

People must have noticed the disaster, since the area was surrounded by kasha, a few yatagarasu, assorted youkai, and even one or two satori in the crowd. She felt a dim surprise, then resentment. This was supposed to be her private spot, hers. She was the victim. Get these people out of the way. They're in my way. This is my disaster, no one else's. Get out.

She slowly made her way down the path, wincing as every hop jostled her fragile right leg. She pulled herself along with her left arm, since her right arm was starting to sting every bit as much as her leg.

Eventually she made it down. She walked to the edge of the Hell of Blazing Fires, staring out over the fiery sea that had claimed every last yatagarasu in her family.

?I hate you,? she cursed beneath her breath. ?Your fires have eaten my parents. One day... I will be more powerful than you, and see then if I don?t control you instead, you hateful, hateful sea!?

From beneath her ragged shirt, she produced Kyou's burnt arm.

?Kyou, we should have gotten to know each other better... I?m sorry.? She held it aloft. ?Goodbye,? she said quietly, and tossed it into the flame-red sea.

Once she did that, people started taking notice of her, and came closer-- she barely noticed as they began to swarm her. Someone put a blanket over her shoulders as soon as they realized that she was the last remaining survivor of the Reiuzi clan, but she was oblivious to it all, and just wandered back up to the yatagarasu nests. She would have gone back to her family's area, but their nest had already been pushed out of the way for someone else. That was how it was amongst the yatagarasu here-- every youkai for himself, and only a strong family could protect themselves from another clan.

Having no place to return to, she shuffled over to a corner, huddled down beneath her blanket, and cried until she lost consciousness.

-----

The blanket someone had put over her shoulders was the last and only mercy shown her. Amongst the clan-oriented yatagarasu, a hellcrow without a family had no resources at all. Utsuho had no one to protect her, guard her, gather food and provide shelter or company for her. They tried to make sure she heard when they whispered that she would have been better off dead. Utsuho never gave any indication that she heard, but inside, yet another needle struck at her heart.

She used to cry every night. She was ignored by her fellow yatagarasu, but at least they didn't bother her unless she got in their way.

Her biggest problem was not the other yatagarasu-- they were indifferent to her suffering, yes, but they didn't harm her directly. Mostly. No, her biggest problem was getting food from day to day. Yatagarasu were carnivores, just like most of the youkai species of Chireiden. But because of their fringe status in underground society, they could not taste the fresher meats very often, short of abducting a small youkai.

The alternative was dead bodies. They were the most plentiful source of food in Chireiden back in those days, before the split with Makai. Makai, constantly involved in warfare, used Chireiden as her dumping ground for the war dead, and the impoverished kasha were only too happy to oblige. There were rumours that the leaders of Chireiden were less than pleased with the arrangement, and might soon limit the amount of imported dead bodies, but until then, Utsuho would have to survive somehow, and this was the best way to do it.

But even dead bodies were coveted down here. The kasha, who resented the fact that the bodies were left piled up around their ghetto (and possibly could carry foreign diseases), found another good use for them-- dumping them in the Hell of Blazing Fires.

It was honestly a good arrangement for all involved-- the satori wouldn't have to look out the windows of the Palace of the Earth Spirits and see unpleasant things, the kasha made a livelihood, and Makai was pacified-- except for the yatagarasu. They could not let one of their best food supplies slip from their grasp.

So before long, the yatagarasu clans began hounding the kasha, intercepting dead bodies at the edge of the Blazing Fires before they could be dumped. The older males in the family would raid the shores of the fire pits, snatching precious food out of the kashas' claws before they could blink.

The clans would survive, working together amongst themselves. But what would happen to someone who had no family-- what would happen to Utsuho?

To her credit, she tried as hard as an entire family on her own. She was able to wrest some bits and pieces off of kasha carts, but never any choice bits, and she had to be wary-- even once she had enough to make a half-decent meal, other yatagarasu were likely to snatch her food away and take it for their own clans. So she learned to rush in quick and attack with great force from the start-- against individuals, because kasha moved in groups just like her own people, and they would quickly beat her back with stones and sticks if she wasn't fast about it.

She honestly did not blame the kasha for fighting her off -- she was just trying to survive, and so were they. The free kasha were poor and hungry; the slave kasha were even worse off. For them, it was either do or die. But they were many and she was one, and so she felt no remorse in attacking them, because no one else was looking out for her.

It didn't happen often enough, but when she did see an individual or a group of two, she would rush them, attacking fast and strong from the onset, and snatch away a limb, an arm, whatever she could get. And then it was a matter of getting to some place safe where no one would take her food away.

She ended up lodging herself in a corner of the old tunnel where her family had died. It had been blocked off (using kasha slave labour, of course) and replaced with a better-situated one above. But there was still a crevice where you could crawl into if you were tiny enough. A crevice that led to the old tunnel, where no light came in and barely any clean air entered-- but at least it was safe.

There, she would huddle in the dark and gnaw what meat there was left on the decomposed arm of a youkai, and look around with her night vision and see the spot where her parents had been standing when the lava ate them.

Eventually she stopped crying. It was hard to feel anymore.

Her clothes wore out soon after her tears did. For a while, she was reduced to mere tatters, and so she made her way back up to the yatagarasu nests to see what she could scavenge. Unfortunately for her, the more affluent families who would be most likely to toss aside old ragged clothes had around-the-clock guards, and the defenseless ones had no clothing to take in the first place. She haunted the area for a while, remaining unseen while looking for the perfect target?a family rich enough to have clothes out, but not rich enough to protect themselves well.

At last, she found it. There was one family that had a large nest, and a small yatagarasu boy was sitting on the fringes, unnoticed by all. He was wearing too many clothes, anyway. He could stand to lose a few.

Without a smidgen of remorse, she waited until his natural curiousity had drawn him away, out of sight of his family. She hid in the shadows until he walked by, at which point she clubbed him in the head with a rock. She quickly pulled his unconscious behind a boulder, where she stripped him of his clothing with a desperation in her trembling hands that belied her fear of being beaten by the whole family.

It wasn't sexual-- that would have been glorifying what she did. No, this was pure, cold-blooded, calculating brutality. As soon as she had his clothes under her arm, she dashed off, not bothering to toss his unconscious body back to his family-- they might see her, and besides, he would wake up eventually. She said nothing throughout the entire thing; she no longer spoke at all, since there was no one to talk to. She made her way back to her lair in the tunnels, where she was safe from those who would visit her harm.

Her left ankle healed in about a week. She was very happy that she had a yatagarasu?s natural resistance to intense heat. Her right leg did manage to heal up much later, even though it was badly scarred. She regretted that she could not manage to steal a pair of shoes from that boy-- it would help make sure that she didn't get any more scars or infections. She did notice, however, that there was an intangible consequence of her burns; literally so. She could not feel injuries there. A stone could strike her right foot and though it would bleed, it no longer hurt as much as it should have.

Her hand was much the same way. She would hold it up to the dim light of the Hell of Blazing Fires poking through a crack in the rubble, and found that her punches with that hand didn't hurt her.

Eating very little in the way of actual nourishment, her early growth was stunted. She never grew out of her wings. At her age, any yataragasu should have been able to hide them effectively, but she never got the chance. She was tired and worn. Her ?new? clothes wore away as fast as the old ones, and though she wanted to see if she could beat someone else and take their robes, she knew that she no longer had the strength to overpower anyone. Fatigue settled in her muscles, making her arms and legs feel hollow inside, as if her bones were rattling around in her skin.

If something did not change soon, she would die.

But for now, there was nothing to do but to go on, if only to spite this land where everything and everyone wanted her dead. She refused to bow down, and so she continued to draw breath and live.

And live she did, away from everyone and everything, always staying a few steps ahead of the quiet shadow of death that enveloped her in the tunnel where her parents met their end, to the tune of a soundless scream coming from their melted lips.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »
Then one day, there was a commotion.

She only noticed because while she was out trying to scavenge some meat, she encountered very little competition from her fellow yatagarasu, and absolutely no yatagarasu her age. It struck her as odd. When she had finished eating what little meat she had gotten-- Chireiden's leadership was cutting down on imports, part of the increasing hostility towards Makai-- she crawled out of her tunnel and made her way to the yatagarasu nests up above.

It was surprisingly busy up on top of the ridge. It didn?t take her very long to see why. Over on the other side, youkai were coming up by a bridge to the yatagarasu nests. She might have had a hard time identifying them, until she saw those weird floating globe things by their chests, connected to them by thin, wavering veins, and immediately recognized them as satori youkai.

She knew who they were based on the description her father had given her... felt like ages ago. Her father, who had first gotten the idea to travel to another city underground because he felt that the satori exploited the yatagarasu too much, treating them like dirt except when they needed servants.

She paused in her walk for a moment, standing there as memories she didn?t know she had flooded back, and she remembered her mother?s lectures on how the satori thought they were being so generous and noble by taking in poor yatagarasu children as servants in the Palace of the Earth Spirits, when really, they were just taking advantage of free labor and the yatagarasu?s lack of social status. Sure, they admitted, there were some yatagarasu that did end up having some genuine influence in governance, but they were few and far between-- worse still, their rare successes were painted as the norm, and so now every yatagarasu family thought that if they sent their kids with the satori, eventually they too could become influential in Chireiden.

And if that wasn?t bad enough, it got worse. Most of the yatagarasu were genuinely excited by this opportunity-- they saw it as the best chance they had to advance in society. The more their children earned, the more they sent back, and the more perks their families could afford. As her parents put it, it was another social fabrication, meant to arouse the ambition in the yatagarasu families? mind, and make them willing and eager to send their children away.

She shuddered for a moment, seeing the satori from a distance. As soon as they had come up, they had been swarmed by yatagarasu who were all too willing to hand over their children to the noble youkai. She saw those bulbous, round things near their chests, and shivered. With that... Third Eye, as they called it, they could read her heart like an open book-- not that she knew how to read, she just heard the idiom once and thought it sounded good-- and her thoughts would be exposed. Even the seditious ones she had just been thinking of. She prayed to her ancestors that no one had been paying attention to her thoughts.

She stood there for a moment, gathering her resolve, and observing the situation. There were a few satori families over there, surrounded by hellcrows and their children in humanoid form-- about fifteen or sixteen satori in all. They were surrounded by almost a dozen families. Unfortunately, they were the (relatively) rich and influential families of the yatagarasu, who maintained their power over the community by handing over as many of their children as they could to the satori nobles. In this way, her father's voice echoed, the elite maintained their elite status, perpetuating the system and keeping the lower-status families oppressed and uneducated, without any opportunities to strike out on their own without having to hold on to a satori's coattails.

She looked at some of the potential servants strutting their stuff, walking around in pure humanoid forms, and suddenly felt something she hadn't felt in months-- self-consciousness. Even though they were her age, they were wearing clean, smooth clothes. She picked at the torn strands at the bottom of her ragged, stolen boy's shirt, looking down. And then the wings. She had missed out on her first growth spurt entirely due to undernourishment. If she made it to her second growth spurt, she would be lucky, and if she was unlucky, she wouldn't last long enough to see. And from how her life had turned out so far, she didn't think she was particularly lucky. Actually, no-- that was wrong. In fact, just surviving this long on her own had probably consumed every last bit of luck she would ever have. There was no way she had enough luck left to be chosen by a nice satori family--

She shook her head. No, she wasn't here to be picked out by satori! That would never happen. She would be no one's servant, no one's slave. Better to starve on her own than be degraded.

But she had no intention of dying, either. Unfortunately, the families that had left their large nests to go see the satori entrusted their homes? care to older relatives, or a group of males at their peak physical condition, ready to slam anyone who came by their families' land with the intent of stealing anything.

She sighed. There went another opportunity. She had been hoping to get a pair of shoes so that her feet wouldn't hurt as much. Sure, by now they had callused and worn rough like leather, but her left foot was more sensitive than the right, and she was still at risk of injury from sharp volcanic rock.

She winced, remembering the knife-like rock that had nearly taken off the front half of her left foot. She really did need shoes. She had to get a pair no matter what, even if she risked being beaten for them. She would die soon anyway. It was fight or die.

So for this reason, she wandered through the yatagarasu nests, away from the crowd-- and that's when her life changed forever.

The hellcrow was looking down, avoiding the curious stares of yatagarasu around her, and also checking out the area looking for prime targets without arousing suspicions. She wandered off a distance, mapping out her escape route in her head.

She grinned, realizing that no one had noticed her as she scouted the area.

?It's like I'm invisible...? she murmured to herself.

There was a small noise. Like a gasp of surprise, but very quiet. But she still noticed it. It was right behind her. Who did it come from? How had they snuck up behind her?!

She turned to look, and from there, her destiny was written out forever.

The most beautiful, delicate girl she had ever seen was standing before her. Pale pink hair, smooth, clear features, light green eyes.

Light green eyes the kind of which she had never seen before.

Light green eyes that were... not looking at her at all. Even though she had wanted to remain unseen, she felt a sudden stab of irritation that this girl wasn?t looking at her. She looked nice enough to talk to, and hadn?t stabbed her in the back yet, so perhaps she was friendly. The yatagarasu cleared her throat, and made an effort to use words, after she hadn't spoken aloud in so long. ?Hello? Down here.?

Those eyes turned down, following the source of her voice-- and suddenly she felt a clenching in her throat. She suddenly became aware of how slow her tongue was, how tangled her hair felt. She was short, shorter than this girl, who was already petite in the first place. Her clothing was in tatters, and she looked dirty and rough.

By all rights, the girl should have backed away. The yatagarasu didn't look trustworthy. She realized then just how awful she looked, and looked at the girl's unblemished hands. She wasn't worthy of being here. She could stain her with dirt just by being around her. She should have left, fled, before the other girl came to fear her.

There was something about her eyes, though... she wanted to stay. Those eyes were making her stay. She wanted to stay and maybe hold her hand and hug her tightly and talk to her--

?No, I'm not scared off by your appearance.?

What the-- what? How did she he--

Of course. How could she have been so blind? She looked up, and then she felt her heart sink. Before her was the girl's Third Eye.

No yatagarasu had hair like that, or eyes like that, or a frame like that. Somehow, she had willfully ignored that she was a satori. Third Eye or not, she still had two lovely green eyes that were so much more compelling.

But still... she was a satori. That meant that she wanted to take her home and degrade her by making her a virtual slave, and she was having none of that. No, not even with this, the most beautiful creature she had ever seen. She closed her eyes, mentally slapping herself in the face. Get a hold of yourself. She's a satori. You need to get out of here. Play it safe. Don't give her a reason to get nervous around you. Don't give her any reason to be suspicious--

?Va bene,? she stammered, and the words were out before she realized that they were--

It was flooding back some more. Her memories, provoked by her own voice. Her father. He had once been a satori's servant, but he had been set loose by his masters and met her mother later, and together they had her. He had picked her up and sat her on his knee back then, and she would laugh and point at objects, and in her ear, he would say the name of those objects in the language of the satori. He had learned it after working in Chireiden for years, and though he had no fondness for his taskmasters, he told her, ?I won't have them talking about you behind your back,? and taught her the language of their oppressors.

The girl was looking at her strangely. When she spoke again, there was some hesitation in her tone.

?Come ti chiami??

Chiami. Chiami, chi... ami. That meant... name. What was her name? Maybe it wouldn't do good to give her name?but what was her name, anyway? It had been so long since she had heard it... she did remember her nickname, though, since it was so much shorter.

?My name is Okuu.?

The girl raised an eyebrow, and Okuu was conflicted. She was scaring her! The girl would leave her alone soon, surely, and Okuu would be free to get out of there, and hide in her tunnel until the satori all left.

But at the same time-- she was scaring her! Oh, god, how could she bear it? She looked at those green eyes again, and she felt those strange desires swirl in her head and clench her heart. She wanted to stay with her, stay with her and protect those green eyes--

?That's your name? That sounds like a nickname to me. And how did you learn our language??

She was getting more and more suspicious! Oh god, oh god. It had to stop, she had to win her trust back again. Okuu had to get more suspicious, drive the girl away. She had to say something right, something that would make the girl reach out to her. She had to flee, get away before those green eyes held her captive once more.

?M-my parents taught me. But I don't speak it very well,? she added. Her parents. Dear god. If her father saw her now, he would be ashamed. If her mother saw her, she would have slapped her. Consorting with the enemy. No, more than that. Consorting was one thing, actively desiring to hug the enemy was quite another.

?And Mom used to call me Utsuho. But she doesn't do that anymore.?

She stammered as she said it. Somehow, she had not had to think, and her name had come to her lips unbidden. Utsuho was her name. Yes.

The girl smiled at her, and she felt her heart leap out of her throat.

?Utsuho sounds a bit better.?

Utsuho, Utsuho, Utsuho! That was her name, and she was the first person who had called her by name in months! The first person who had SPOKEN to her in months! If she could hear her say her name again, her life would feel complete.

But before she could say thank-you for the compliment, the girl went on. ?Quanti anni hai, Utsuho??

Her language again. Being aware of it now, Utsuho avoided lapsing into that language, even if it was easier on her thick, out-of-practice tongue. She hadn't spoken this much to any one person in several months.

She held out her fingers for the girl's benefit and counted out her age. ?One, two, three, four... four years old.? Maybe. Probably. Whatever her age was, she didn?t know any more. But four sounded like a good enough number.

?Four years old?? The satori girl seemed genuinely surprised at hearing this. ?So young??

She nodded, not knowing what else to do. She kicked her feet and closed her eyes, feeling conflicted inside and not knowing why. She wanted to-- she wanted to-- what did she want? She couldn?t leave, but she couldn?t stay here, either.

?Interessante...?

The girl was suspicious again! Maybe she would leave now. But no, wait, she couldn?t leave! Utsuho hadn?t even heard her name yet! She needed a name to put to that face with those eyes, or else she would kill herself trying to find out.

The girl opened her mouth to speak again, and Utsuho winced, waiting to hear the worst.

?Hai fratelli e sorelle??

She was asking about her... uh, her brothers or sisters. Why? Was she suspicious about her clothing, her unhealthy appearance, her lack of a family? Why should she care?

Still, there was a part of her that was warmed by the girl?s concern for her. So she shook her head and told her the truth. ?I don't have any brothers or sisters. I'm the only one.?

?An only child?? The satori girl seemed surprised. ?... Hai padre e madre??

Again, Utsuho shook her head. ?I told you I'm the only one.?

The girl did something strange then. She flinched. Utsuho was mystified. Why should she be flinching? It wasn?t her family that was all gone. She was probably just asking to be polite, yes.

?Hai zio e zia??

No aunt or uncle, no. Not anymore, anyway. She shook her head.

?Hai nipote? Cugino o cugina? Hai nonno e nonna?!?

There was a hint of audible panic now as the girl asked for nephews, cousins, grandparents, all of whom were dead. It confused Utsuho even more. Why should anyone else feel any pain or worry on her behalf? Why did this girl care at all? She could do nothing but stand there shaking her head every time, and wondered how the girl would react now.

?Tue famiglia... you don't have any family AT ALL?!?

That wasn?t a hint, it was outright panic. Utsuho nearly jumped. She was genuine... genuinely concerned for her. It had been so long since she had ever received any empathy from someone else... not even one of her own yatagarasu brethren showed her any sort of pity, but here, this stranger was really feeling something for her.

She felt a peculiar burning in her throat as she looked down at the ground, humbled, and now even more embarrassed at how badly she looked. She noticed Koishi?s shoes-- fine yet tough closed-toe sandals, built for walking in the Palace of the Earth Spirits-- and then looked at her feet, bruised and scarred and muddy and dirty, and felt shame for the first time in months.

?No one at all? Not even a distant relative??

Not even that-- at least, not any that she knew of. And if she had distant relatives, they should have taken her in months ago. She shook her head no.

She peeked up at her from beneath her tangled, dirty bangs, and the girl was looking around at their surroundings.

Then there was a gleam of an idea in her eyes, and she looked down to meet Utsuho?s red eyes with her flawless green. ?What's your last name??

Utsuho froze. For months she had lived without speaking more than a few grunts, without any interaction with another living being except to fight over food and clothes, and without hearing her name for so long that she nearly forgot it. But what was her last name? What was the name of the family that had been lost when the Hell of Blazing Fires overflowed and killed them all?

?R... Rei... something.? Utsuho hesitated. ?I... don't know.?

She wanted to beg for apology, but before she could say or do anything, the girl?s brow furrowed and she looked around at their surroundings again. ?I wonder,? she began, ?Would any of them know what happened to you??

Any of them? The last time she had seen them concerned for her had been when her family had died. They had clustered around her and moaned and pitied her, one putting a blanket on her shoulders while they tut-tutted and talked about the poor thing, how hard it would be to live on her own, how much of a tragedy that the death of the Reiuzi had been, such a fine upstanding old family--

?Reiuzi!? Utsuho cried out. ?Reiuzi!? Her last name! She remembered now. She was Utsuho Reiuzi, and it was a name that she promised then and there that she would never lose again.

?What a relief, you remembered,? the satori girl sighed. ?That should make things just a little bit easier.?

Utsuho smiled up at her, so grateful for helping her remember-- when something unexpected happened yet again. The satori extended her hand to her, and said ?come with me.?

And for the first time in months, she was able to make a decision without second-guessing, or without fearing for her life. It was like she had been trapped in a cage this entire time, and now, the key had been put in the lock, turned, and the door swung open, with a hand out there to pull her back into her life, if she chose to accept it. Would she accept it?

Why was that even a question?

?Okay,? she replied, taking her hand without hesitation and letting the satori girl lead her.

She didn?t know what she was planning at first, but she soon caught on. The girl would introduce her as Utsuho Reiuzi (an act which alone made her heart swell with joy) and ask what happened to the Reiuzi family. The yatagarasu parents they spoke to were nice enough, but they said didn?t know what happened to her family. It was a lie, even if the girl didn?t notice it; Utsuho remembered these people from months ago, when they had all swarmed her, trying to look like the ones who felt the most pity for the ?poor little darling?. She couldn?t help but clench her jaw as they went on to each new family, who each responded out of respect for the fact that it was a satori who was speaking to them. They were lying through their teeth. They knew what had happened to her, or better-- they just didn?t care.

It didn?t take long, though, before they found a yatagarasu mother who was a big enough gossip to blurt it out. ?Oh, it was a tragedy,? she said, not looking at all like she meant it. She had a daughter bouncing on her knee, and the girl looked at Utsuho. She tried to give the child a weary smile, but it must have looked like a grimace, because she began to cry.

?The Reiuzi family was one of the few remaining clans from Old Hell, back in the time that the Yamas used to control Chireiden. But they were dying out. A few weeks ago, the Reiuzi were traveling up to one of the other underground realms when a freak wave of lava from the Hell of Blazing Fires swept up onto the shore behind their backs. No one survived.?

Was that how her family?s story was being told? Well, fair enough. Short on the details, but still factual.

Then with mild astonishment, she realized that the satori girl was lifting her hand up into the air. ?This one did,? she replied.

?They must have left her behind for the trip,? the mother replied. ?Not that she got lucky. Now she's all alone. She doesn't have a family to take care of her.?

Utsuho winced, feeling the bitter sting of harsh truth in her words. She was right. Even though this girl was concerned for her, her concern would soon end, and Utsuho would go back to her dark tunnel, fending off death and losing an inch every day, eventually dying in some musty crevice shoved beneath some rocks, too weak to even say her own name once more or cry for help-- as if anyone would have come, anyway.

But then-- she noticed something odd yet again. There was a tightening of pressure on her hand. She looked up at the satori girl, and her eyes opened in shock as she saw nothing less than fury in her suddenly dangerous green eyes.

When she spoke, she said it with a hiss. ?You mean to say that this little girl has been foraging for herself for the past few weeks, unhealthy and in rags, while the rest of you protect only your families?!? she snapped. ?What good is it to protect your family if you don't try and help complete strangers?!?

Utsuho was stunned. Such ferocity... on behalf of someone she had never met before today?

She began to feel something different now from the wild devotion she had felt earlier. Now, with her head clear, she realized that her previous fanatical loyalty was no more than a desperate desire for company and warmth for the first person who had shown her any affection since her parents? death.

That was fine, acceptable. But now what she was doing went beyond simple affection-- it was righteous fury for someone she had taken an interest in, fire at realizing how she had been mistreated by those she called her people. It was the first clear indication of genuine feeling-- and seeing that, Utsuho felt a stinging feeling in her eyes. Making sure the girl-- now she HAD to know her name!-- could not see, she wiped the tears that she thought had dried up long ago.

The yatagarasu woman looked offended. ?Well, who's going to take care of her now? Without a family, she's doomed. She won't live for much longer.?

Utsuho felt her hand tighten again as the girl yelled, ?In that case, the?

?--then OUR family will take care of her.?

Both of them jumped as a pair of hands settled on the satori girl?s shoulders from behind. Utsuho looked up and behind her, to see-- twins? No, not twins, but awfully close. Sisters, probably. This satori?s hair was darker, looking almost purple, and her clothing was a different colour, if same design. Her eyes were open, so Utsuho was able to see that her eyes were a beautiful light purple-- though, she thought, not as beautiful as the other girl?s green.

Then the reality of her words broke through as the newcomer ruffled her sister?s hair. Had she said... family?

There was an exchange going on there, as she saw the two satoris? Third Eyes meet. Facial expressions passed over their faces as the sisters communicated in silence. Utsuho was too occupied by her own thoughts to care much. What did the newcomer mean? Were they going to take her in as a servant? If she was going to be a servant, then she would never accept it. But if  she was going to be part of a family again... that might be a bit more tolerable.

The girls looked off in the distance together, and after a few moments that felt like an eternity to her, they bowed at the same time. Whatever had happened, the sisters were pleased at the outcome-- and she began to dare to hope that so would she.

Utsuho was still holding on to her friend?s hand. The newcomer, her sister, met her gaze, and smiled at her. Whatever had just happened between them, Utsuho knew that she owed her for it, and so she smiled back. The girl?s Third Eye turned in its socket, and so did the green-eyed girl?s-- there was another brief exchange that Utsuho wished she could hear, but then she felt her rough hand being squeezed, and looked up at her friend again.

?Hey, Okuu, did you hear that? We're going to take you home to live with us.?

For a moment, time stopped. Utsuho felt it as distinctly as a slap in the face. It was like everything around her ceased to move, and she stepped out of her own body and looked at her friend with quiet awe.

?Thank you. So much.? She mouthed something else, and then smiled, and walked back into herself. Time resumed its natural flow, and the only remainder of that experience was the wide grin on her face.

The girl smiled back at her, even as she spoke to her sister. ?... I just wanted to bring her into a family.?

That word again. Family. Not a servant. Not a slave. Instead, family.

Maybe it was family by name, and a servant in practice-- but still, to be called a member of a family... that alone made her heart feel so happy that it might burst.

Utsuho didn't see how the sister reacted, but she did feel her hand touch her own, and she took it in her own. Together, the two satori girls led her away, and for once, Utsuho was able to ignore the glares and the hisses and jealous cries from the crowd around her. It still hurt, but her friend squeezed her hand to comfort her.

And once they had descended from the ladder and were heading through private paths to the Palace of the Earth Spirits, she realized something. Utsuho was walking with her new family, with the sisters' father walking some distance ahead of them, but she realized that somehow, she had managed to avoid hearing even a single name.

?Ah,? the newcomer said, looking down at Utsuho. ?You're right, Utsuho. We communicate with our minds, so you didn't hear any of our names.?

?I forgot to introduce ourselves?!? The first satori asked, dumbfounded, those lovely green eyes wide with mild shock. ?Ahh, I'm sorry, Utsuho!?

Utsuho had to laugh. ?Don't be.?

?Ah, but I was being silly again,? her friend laughed at herself. ?Well, I'll correct that.? She pointed at their father up ahead. ?That is our dad, Komeiji Tetsuji.? She waved a hand at the other girl with her, who smiled and curtsied to Utsuho. ?That is my sister, Komeiji Satori.?

?And I,? she said, pointing to herself, ?am Komeiji Koishi. Nice to meet you, Reiuzi Utsuho.?

Utsuho hesitated. She had been waiting to hear her name so she could address Koishi with the proper respect she owed her now-- but she still had some resistance to the idea of being a servant to any satori.

But if anyone should command her respect, it would be Koishi Komeiji with the light green eyes and that warm smile that had given her a family and shelter and a life to live.

?Koishi-sam--? she began, but was interrupted by Koishi herself, who put a finger on her lips to keep her quiet.

?Don't call me that name.? She smiled straight at Utsuho again, and she could feel her heart racing again. ?You are not my servant, Okuu.?

?A-are you going to give me to someone else, then?!? the hellcrow realized, putting two and two together. But Satori behind her burst out laughing, and Koishi chuckled as well.

?No, you don't understand.? She reached out and held Utsuho's hand in her own.

The hellcrow held her breath.

?I don't need a servant. I need a friend.? Koishi's warm gaze met Utsuho's own. She felt like her heart was melting, but it was also exploding with joy at the same time.

?Can you be my friend, Reiuzi Utsuho?? She asked, a hint of worry in that tone. It was so ridiculous that Utsuho wanted to laugh now, and laugh she did. Koishi stammered, not used to being that flustered. Satori kept laughing.

?Of course I can, Koishi,? Utsuho replied, putting her other hand over Koishi's own. ?I will do anything for you. You saved my life. Thank you. I am more than happy to be your friend.?

It was a bit awkward-- speech still felt strange on her tongue. But it seemed to encourage Koishi, who let out a breath of relief.

?And I will be your friend as well,? she replied. ?Thank you.?

The party then went on, following the path to the Palace of the Earth Spirits, with Satori holding her hand on one side, Koishi on the other, and Utsuho felt she would die of happiness right there.

It was then that Utsuho remembered the words she had mouthed earlier, when Koishi had good and truly saved her life.

?I didn't know your name then, but I do now,? she thought to herself. ?Koishi Komeiji... I will be your friend, and I will be your servant, and I will help you every way I can. Everything I am belongs to you.

?You saved my life. Someday, I shall save yours. And from now until I die, my life is yours. You saved me, and I owe you my every breath. I will not forget this. I will never leave you, Komeiji Koishi, not until the day I die, and even then, I will protect you with all of my heart.?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
?Why does something like that matter to me??

Koishi, please... please stop it, please stop saying those words.

?I don't understand why I should care about what you do.?

Please. Please, just stop it. No, Koishi, this isn't you, you're not the Koishi I love--

?Really, I don't understand why you care at all, either.?

PLEASE JUST STOP IT

?Because it's not like I care about you, anyway.?

That was it. That was the last thing she could let herself hear before she went mad. And it was already too late for the sting of her words to go away.

Koishi no longer cared about her. Her life, that she had sacrificed for her, had been sacrificed in vain.

Utsuho sank to her knees. She didn't cry. The tears that had dried up when she was young had been renewed when Koishi took her in, but now, they would not come.

Never again. She would never cry again. Her heart felt like it had been ripped right out of her chest, slammed with a hammer until it was in tatters, and shoved back in.

If Koishi no longer loved her, then her entire life's reason for existence... it was gone.

She sat there on her knees, a blank look on her face. Koishi stood before her, over her.

She sneered, and walked away.

Utsuho didn't see her walk away. She was too dazed to do anything right now. But she did hear as Koishi spoke to Alice, saying that it was time to leave.

Koishi was getting out of the underground. But Utsuho was too stunned to notice, even while Koishi and Alice's steps began, and they left.

?Oh, right.? The sound of Koishi's running came back. Utsuho turned an expressionless face to her as the satori smiled.

?Tell my sister that she can keep this hideous kingdom, since she's so desperate to rule it herself. She was so willing to kill me, why wouldn't she want to take the throne all on her own? I'll stay out of her way, I promise. I am never coming back.?

Koishi turned away. Utsuho felt desperation in her veins again-- the same desperation that had moved her when she was young, when she thought that her appearance had scared off her benefactor, and wanting so badly for her to stay that she would have thrown herself at the ground and held on to her skirt hem just so she would never leave her side again.

She wanted to cry out to her and beg for her to return, she wanted to throw herself at her feet and hold on to her ankle so she couldn't leave, and she wanted Koishi to come back, laughing, that joyous smile on her face as she revealed to Utsuho that it had all been one big joke.

But no. Koishi would not listen. Koishi was not joking. And Koishi was truly never coming back.

?Koishi,? she managed to whisper. ?D-don't go.?

The satori girl half-turned to see her.

?Don't... go. You gave me my life back, and I... have given my life for yours.? Tears spilled down Utsuho's face.

?Please, don't go... I... I love you, Koishi Komeiji. Don't leave me."

The silence hung in the air, and Utsuho knew her life was in the balance.

And then Koishi's mouth opened for the last time.

?... I don't love you, Utsuho Reiuzi. Enjoy what life you have left. We will probably never see each other again. Goodbye, forever.?

And Koishi left.

Utsuho sat on her knees, unmoving, her face a total blank. It felt like her heart had stopped. She slowly sank forward on her knees, and moved her hands to cover her face.

There, Utsuho was lying in the dirt. She would have gotten up, if she still cared about seeing Satori and Orin again. She would have gotten up if she had the motivation to do so.

And she would have cried, if she could feel anything anymore.

But she could not. And the void of emotion left her emptier than ever.

She got to her feet, tear streaks from her empty eyes still on her cheeks. And then she left, not knowing or caring where she was going, and walked off to somewhere.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »
?Are you... are you fine, Koishi?? Alice asks as soon as Koishi catches up to her. She's been waiting at the far edge of the Makai-side camp for her, sitting in front of one of the many small tents dotting the area, and her face does not betray any sort of panic, even though she's getting ready to commit some form of treason.

?Why would I not be?? Koishi replies with another question, shrugging. ?Being 'fine' is a feeling. I don't have room for feelings like that anymore.?

?I... see,? Alice replied, and a flicker of doubt passes over her face. But it is gone soon, as if she has smoothened her face back like you would brush hair off the face of a doll. ?Do you have everything you want to bring??

Koishi shrugs her shoulders wide, emphasizing her tattered clothes. ?What do I have to bring??

?Ah,? Alice says, as if remembering something. ?Luize, she's here.?

Who should poke her head out of the tent flap but Luize, who nods to Koishi. ?Come in. Quickly! We'll get you changed into something so you don't look like a refugee anymore.?

Koishi nods to Alice, and dives in. The tent is pitched well, and Alice guards the tent flap to the outside. No one is coming in.

Luize sits cross-legged in the small space, some robes on her knee. She hands them to Koishi as she ducks in. ?Here. They're Alice's, and they should fit you well enough to look like one of her servants.?

The satori girl takes them without question and immediately starts taking off her rags. They were once a white yukata, but the events of only a few hours past have utterly ruined her clothes-- as well as her mind. She knows there's something wrong, but she cannot think about it for more than two seconds without her mind forcibly changing the subject. It unnerves for for two seconds more, and then her focus shifts to the green skirt she's pulling on.

?Sorry about the colour scheme,? Luize says by way of apology. ?Those are all the clothes I had on hand that I thought would fit you.?

?It's fine,? Koishi replies, her voice a bit muffled by the wide-sleeved yellow shirt she's putting on over her head. It was then she notices that it has buttons instead, so she opens it up and pulls it on that way instead. ?The only real hassle is going to be these sleeves, but I think I can make do.? She flicks the black ruffles around the border of her sleeves. ?Thanks.?

?Oh, and this,? Luize says, remembering something. ?Here.? From behind her back, she pulls out a broad-rimmed black hat, accented by a yellow ribbon wrapped around the top. ?To hide your white hair. It kind of stands out.?

Koishi pauses then, and pulls a few strands of her hair forward. White, indeed. There is no logical reason for it. Satori could not willingly change their hair colour. Their hair colours were shades of pastel, but white has never been seen. There is something wron--

Two seconds.

The satori girl pulls the hat on without hesitating, and tucks her hair up into the cap. There, now her hair is out of the way. She will be able to move through the camp with ease now.

?Let's go,? Luize tells her, and leaves the tent, with Koishi following. Outside, the caretaker straightens out her disguise, and nods with satisfaction after a few moments.

Alice and Luize exchange a nod. ?It's time,? Alice says, and she takes the lead In their small group as she walks through the camp of demons, heading to her palanquin, stationed on the other side.

They cannot not risk leading Koishi around the camp, for to their left is a procession following Shinki herself, who is walking to her personal litter. Koishi sees her from where she is walking, and tries not to stare, but she does anyway.

Then she sees a familiar pink haired head bobbing along in the procession, and doubles her pace.

?Koishi,? Luize hisses. ?You're going too fast!?

?Oh cripes,? Alice says. ?Mom... Shinki's looking at us.?

Chills break down Koishi's back as Alice mutters to them, ?keep going, I'll distract her,? and cheerfully waves hi to her mother. ?Hi, mommy! I'm going back to my litter, mommy!?

?She sounds like a child,? Koishi observes as Luize leads her on.

?She's throwing Shinki-sama off,? Luize replies. ?Shinki-sama likes to think that Alice is much younger than she really is, and Alice obliges. Quick, here we are, climb in.?

Koishi does not need to be told twice. She grabs hold of a rail on the side and hoists herself in to the surprisingly large palanquin, Luize close behind, shutting the curtains as she comes in.

?Now what?? Koishi asks.

?Now we wait,? her companion replies. Koishi nods, and pulls open the curtain just enough to see what's going on outside as she sits in the darkness.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2010, 05:09:42 AM »
Satori and Orin sat on a pair of rocks outside the Higan side of the field. Eiki Shiki was... in some tent, somewhere. Komachi wasn't letting her come out until she calmed down. Sumire was the de facto leader of Higan right now, but there was nothing to do until Makai sent word that they were beginning their departure.

In the distance, there was a shadow growing. Slowly, so slowly as to think it wasn't moving. It was. It was walking without any clear sense of purpose, and it was Utsuho.

Satori only noticed her without looking at her from the void of thought.

Normally, creatures walked around in a haze of thoughts. Satori couldn't keep them all out of her own head sometimes-- she didn't have enough control over her Third Eye yet. But it was always there, around most living beings in general, and many inanimate ones as well. When the first satori had noticed this, they had called it Animism, and though Satori herself was no animist, she could see why they had thought that. All things had a haze of thought around them, however basic or banal.

But the shadow coming over to them was a void. That was no inanimate object-- it still registered in her Third Eye, as a thought-neutral area. But Utsuho was a void. She was not thought-neutral-- rather, it was as if all the thought, the feelings, the emotions had been sucked right out of her.

It reminded Satori too much of Eiki Shiki, sitting in her tent, looking at the wall and looking at herself in the mirror and seeing nothing.

Orin didn't notice. Thank god for Orin. The kasha ran towards her friend with genuine pleasure to see her return. ?Okuu! Okuu! I'm so glad to see you!?

She threw her arms around Utsuho. The yatagarasu didn't react, but she didn't keep walking her half-dead gait, either. Satori stood and walked to Utsuho.

She was unprepared. This wasn't the Utsuho she had grown up with anymore. This was... some version of Utsuho, where everything in her world was... wrong.

She was not the same person she had been when she had gone to find Koishi. That Utsuho was grim, but determined. This one, though, had been driven far past the edge of despair.

The void around Utsuho intensified as Satori approached. She walked up to Utsuho.

?Utsuho Reiuzi,? Satori commanded. ?Your eyes.?

Without a word, the hellcrow bent her head and raised her haunted eyes to meet Satori's own, and Satori put a hand on her forehead as her Third Eye's single piercing gaze focused on Utsuho.

By this time, Orin had noticed that there was something wrong. ?Okuu, what's...? she narrowed her brow as she stared, worried. ?Utsuho?? She frowned. ?Master, I--? she turned around. ?Satori-sama?!?

Satori's eyes were opened wide, and she was crying.

?Utsuho, I...? Satori wiped her face with her sleeve, but tears were still running down her cheeks. ?I can't... I can't say anything...?

The hellcrow nodded, her eyes still hollow. ?You know now.?

Satori gasped for breath, and covered her mouth as a fresh wave of tears came. ?I... I can't-- Koishi, how could you--!?

?What is it? What's wrong?? Orin begged, trying to put a hand on Satori's shoulder to calm her down. ?Satori-sama!?

?Koishi,? Utsuho answered for her, her voice sounding husky and low. ?Koishi is never coming back.?

?Koishi-sama... is not returning?? Orin asked. ?Is she... dead??

?In a way,? Utsuho said in a quiet tone, her eyes still haunted.

?Wait... didn't Koishi save you when you were young? When you were orphaned, and...? Orin trailed off, and Utsuho nodded. ?Oh... oh no. Okuu, I'm so sorry.?

?She told me that she doesn't love me.? Utsuho stated in a flat tone. ?And invalidated everything I am in the process.?

?What? No, Okuu, please don't talk like that,? Orin begged, but Utsuho wasn't having any of it. ?She saved my life once. I just gave up my life for hers in return. And it turns out that she never wanted it. She never cared about me.?

Orin could only stand there and shake her head, tears stinging her own eyes. ?Utsuho... I'm sorry. So, so sorry.?

Satori stood apart from her pets, staring off into the distance, eyes seeing nothing.

There was a clearing of the throat.

?I'm sorry. I really, really hate to interrupt a moment like this.? Satori still had enough presence of mind to turn to see who was talking, and found the general of Higan, Sumire, standing before her.

?But Makai is coming. They're going to take their prisoner now.? Sumire gave her a sad frown. ?So... I guess you'd better say your last goodbyes.?

?Yes,? Satori agreed, trying to wipe her face clean of tears, her voice sounding ragged. ?Thank you, Sumire.?

?They're finally coming,? Utsuho said in her dead tone again. ?About time.?

Satori turned, a fire suddenly springing up in her tear-red eyes. ?Utsuho Reiuzi, don't talk like that again.?

?Uh?? Utsuho muttered as Satori came towards her and put her hands on either side of her head, pulling the hellcrow down to meet the satori's eyes.

?Listen, Utsuho. I know I'm not my sister. I'm not the person you credit with saving your life. I understand that. But please, don't call your life worthless. I know that's wasn't really Koishi. The Koishi I know and love is a wonderful person who would save someone else even if it did take her own life to do it.?

Satori winced, and did her best to hide it. It worked on Utsuho, but not Orin.

?And even if she weren't--? Satori tightened her grip on the sides of Utsuho's head, and pulled her eyes even closer so that her eyes were no more than three inches away from the satori's. ?Look at me, Utsuho. I may not be my sister, but I love you, too. And so does Orin. I want you to come back to me someday.

?You must not die. You shall not die. You will come back and you will come back to my family, and I will love you.?

There was a moment of terrible waiting. Satori's Third Eye was whirling in its socket, looking desperately in Utsuho's mind for a flicker of recognition, of emotion. She had no idea if her truth had worked.

The moment was over. Utsuho stared for a few seconds longer, and then her eyes softened a bit. The yatagarasu did not cry, but she did smile. ?... thank you, thank you, Satori-sama.?

?And thank you, too, Orin,? Utsuho said. ?I don't know where I'd be without you.?

The kasha gave her a fanged grin. ?You're welcome.? Then her grin relaxed into a gentle smile, the kind that was hiding a lot of sadness. She slowly crept forward and gave Utsuho another hug. ?Please,? she said, crying into her shirt. ?Please come back to us.?

Utsuho was slow to respond, but she did put her arms around Orin as well. ?I... I promise that I will return someday.?

Orin smiled, and handed Utsuho to Satori.

?Do you think you'll be able to visit me?? the hellcrow asked.

?I'm not sure... I don't think Shinki wants me anywhere near her country, but I'll try. Write a letter once you get there. I'll definitely try to find you.?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2010, 05:10:50 AM »
?Hm, are you done with your goodbyes yet??

Satori looked to see Shinki, flanked by Yuki and Mai, standing off at a distance, a frown on her face.

?I've come to pick up my new servant,? she snapped. ?Come along, Reiuzi.?

Utsuho sighed and began to walk away-- when a sharp arm to the stomach stopped her.

Satori had blocked Utsuho's progress, and met Shinki's gaze with her own resolute stare. ?We will see Utsuho off, with the rest of your caravan.?

?Fine with me.? Shinki didn't look pleased, but she also looked like she wanted to get out fast. ?Let's go.?

?HOLD IT!?

?Not more delays,? Shinki muttered just as Eiki Shiki emerged from her tent, Komachi by her side.

?I'm also going to see them off,? the general insisted. ?I want them to leave as fast as possible.?

?So do we,? the empress of Makai replied. ?Now can we please get moving??

?Komachi-san,? Satori pressed as she moved closer to her, ?is Lady Eiki all right? She seemed really torn up about all this earlier...?

?She's not all right,? Komachi replied, a drop of sweat running down the side of her face. ?But she's manic right now. She wants to see Shinki leave if it's the last thing she ever does.?

Satori watched Eiki moving like a woman possessed, caught one glimpse of her thoughts, and wisely turned her own thoughts elsewhere.

Orin and Okuu were walking side-by-side, holding hands. Mutual assurance, Satori recognized. And she wanted to do the same. She came to Utsuho's other side and held her free hand, then smiled up at her as comfortingly as she could when the hellcrow looked down, surprised.

?You know, Okuu, you've really grown up,? Satori said.

?Yatagarasu have three growth spurts,? Utsuho replied.

?No, not like that,? the satori laughed. ?I meant that... I'm so happy that you've lived with us all this time. You're like a sister to me.?

?And now I'm leaving. Sound familiar??

Satori fell into silence. They walked for a few moments like that behind Shinki's party, heading into the Makai camp, when Utsuho herself broke the quiet.

?I'm... sorry, Satori,? Utsuho apologized softly. ?I've... got a lot to think about.?

?Don't apologize,? Satori replied in a low voice, coming closer and leaning her head on Utsuho's arm. ?I understand.?

?Ugh, we have so much to talk about, and so little time.? Utsuho moved her arm from her side to resting on Satori's back. ?I... I don't want to leave you, Satori.?

?Me too,? Satori replied. ?I would have never thought that a day that began so quietly could end this way...?

?When I woke up this morning, I didn't think all this could happen.? Utsuho sighed, sounding much older than she actually was. ?Instead, it feels like today has taken over a year.?

When she woke up that morning, she had been all ready to start the day off with some fencing practice with her sister, while Utsuho and Rin stole down to the kitchen and came back with goodies for them to eat, then head to history lessons and spend the rest of the day on the rooftop, having fun cracking jokes with each other.

Instead, Koishi was escaping from Chireiden, Utsuho was in chains in service to Shinki, and though she would never admit it, Orin herself was heartbroken now that she was losing her best friend. In one day, Satori had lost two of her best friends-- two of her sisters, and there was no rest for her in sight, because now she was queen, and would not have any support as she took on the burden of governing the ruins of Chireiden.

Utsuho looked down at Satori, then looked back up at her destination. ?A queen never cries.?

?I know,? Satori said, feeling tears prick at her eyes as she walked.

She walked alongside Utsuho, making their way to Shinki's palanquin. They were in the middle of the Makai camp, with demons surrounding them on all sides, and noise in every direction, but Satori got the strange feeling that the world was limited to only herself and Utsuho right now. Nothing else mattered.

?A queen might never cry,? Satori murmured, ?but a simple girl can.?

Utsuho smiled ruefully down at her. ?Satori-san... please don't cry for me.?

?I'm sorry,? Satori replied, wiping tears from her eyes with the rags her yukata had turned into. ?But I can't help it, Utsuho. Y-- you're one of my best friends. I grew up with you, and I love you.? Now she really began sobbing. ?... S-- so why do you have to go?!?

?Satori,? Utsuho said, her voice breaking, and on impulse, she pulled her in for a hug. Satori didn't resist, and for the last time in a long time, she was able to have herself a long, shaking cry in public.

Orin came up behind her and rubbed her back, and looked up at Utsuho. ?Utsuho... please,? she began, her voice already choked with tears.

?Rin, I'm going to miss you so much,? the hellcrow said, tears running freely down her cheeks as well. ?Please, Rin, be strong for me. Protect Satori-sama if it's the last thing you do. If I know you're protecting her no matter what, I'll be able to sleep easy every night.?

?How could you think otherwise?? Orin said, wiping her face clean. ?For your sake, Utsuho... I'll protect her for the both of us. Just come--? her voice broke then, and she too buried her head in Utsuho's chest, squeezing her in one last hug-- ?Just come back, okay??

?I will come back,? Utsuho sobbed as she wrapped her arms around Orin and Satori, leaning her head on Orin's as she cried too. Tears ran down her cheeks and soaked the kasha's red hair, and Satori's tears had soaked Utsuho's skirt all the way through.

?I will come back,? she repeated through her own tears as she held them close and heard their heartbeats. ?I promise.?

Their surroundings went unnoticed while they had their last hug before their final goodbye. The three girls held each other tightly, as if defying the world-- maybe they would have to move on now, but please, just let us have this moment, okay? And the world let them share one final hug.

And just as before, none of them wanted to stop-- but they had to. The world would not let time stop, even for something like this. Satori's tears dried up. Rin's heaving sobs eventually stopped. Orin slowly released Utsuho.

?I-- I guess this is it,? Satori said through her last few tears as she got back onto her feet. She was still holding on tight to Utsuho's hand. ?I'll miss you. Come back to us once it's all done.?

?Visit me,? Utsuho said, beginning to pull her hands out of Satori's and Orin's last desperate holds. ?And if you can't visit me, write to me.?

?I'll write to you, and I'll use basic words, besides, so you can understand them.? Satori was trying valiantly to smile.

?I'll tell you about everything that's going on,? Orin promised. ?So when you come back, it'll be as if you never left.?

Neither of them were letting go of Utsuho's hands. She gave them a sad smile. ?That sounds great,? she said as Orin released her. ?I'll miss you. So, so much.?

?Take care of yourself,? Satori said quietly as Sara came up to Utsuho and took her arm. ?And come back to us someday.?

?As surely as a crow comes back to its nest,? Utsuho replied as Sara led her away, pulling her hand out of Satori's.

?Satori, Orin! I promise, I will come back to you someday!?

And as Satori watched, Utsuho was led away.

It took everything she had not to run after her, rules be damned.

Shinki approached, and gave Satori another dark smile.

?Oh, don't worry your pretty pink head. I don't plan on working her too hard.?

?Indeed, you had better treat her well,? the new queen of Chireiden replied, turning back to her with cold fury in her eyes. ?You are taking a member of my family away from me, Shinki. I will hear of it if anything happens to her.?

?You know,? Shinki said in a low voice, ?I created Yumeko. I created her to be the ultimate fighting machine, and yet still caring. I promised her that if she was ever wronged, I would avenge her.

?And what did your little sister do, again??

Satori's face was impassive.

?I must say, Shinki, you really are an impressive empress,? she said after a moment. ?Your plan could have, and by all rights should have, worked perfectly. Except for Eiki Shiki, I would be dead now and Chireiden would be yours. Your plan was well-made, your traps well-set. But then my sister, wrong as it was to do so in the way she did, destroyed one of the main structures of your plan.?

Still speaking in a low monotone, she stalked towards Shinki, who began to move back, genuinely shocked by the haunted look in her eyes.

?And even then, you were able to break the noble General of Higan. You were able to break my sister for what she did, and through her, you broke my beautiful, strong hellcrow friend. You set fire to our city and burned town all the satori in Chireiden, save me and my sister. You killed my father, and you have robbed me of all family support. In all ways, everything that has happened here today is somehow your fault.?

Satori came up to Shinki then, and stared up at her. Shinki shuddered at the sight of those piercing red eyes.

Satori jabbed at her own chest. At her own heart.

?You have destroyed everything here. Hopes, dreams, futures. But I promise you-- oh, do I ever-- I promise you that I will give up everything for those people who I love more than family. There is nothing left in me to cry for myself any longer. But if you harm Utsuho, I swear to the Yatagarasu god that I will hunt you down and destroy you from the inside out.?

Satori's look of total defiance unnerved Shinki. Satori finished--

?And I promise you, though I am empty, you will never have the satisfaction of breaking me.?

She smiled.

?Now. You have Utsuho and you have everything you asked for. Now get off of my land.?

?Get out?? Shinki asked.

?This is my country. I am its sovereign.? Satori's Third Eye moved on its own, seeking and getting eye contact with Shinki. ?Get off my land. Now.?

?We are all ready to get going now, Shinki-sama,? Sara reported, standing by Shinki's side in silence. ?Shall I give the order to move out??

Shinki did not say anything. Instead, she looked down and met Satori's three-eyed gaze.

?You will be an interesting queen.? Shinki said. ?It is almost a pity that we could not have met under better circumstances-- I think we would have grown to admire one another.?

?As a tiger admires a dragon,? Satori replied. ?And ready to slit each other's throats.?

The two rulers, one old and one new, shared a dangerous smile with one another.

Shinki was the first to break eye contact. ?Let's get moving,? the empress said to Sara. ?Begin the march back.?

Sara saluted. ?As you command,? she replied, and blew out a few short blasts on her horn as Shinki walked away, off to her palanquin, leaving Orin and Satori standing together.

Shinki walked past Eiki, who was still pale and sweating. ?Hello, great general. Pulled yourself together, eh??

?Just enough to see you get out,? Eiki hissed back, still leaning on Komachi. ?I'm going to manipulate the distance in your cave so that your entire army will be out of the tunnels and on the other side within the hour.?

?Heh, I can certainly agree to that,? Shinki replied. ?We will be leaving now. I will see you again, Eiki Shiki, and next time, you will not fare so well. Good bye!?

?Komachi,? Eiki muttered. ?Help me up. I'll need you for this.?

?Yes,? Komachi obeyed, holding Eiki up as she raised her hands and concentrated deeply, extending her manipulation of distance to the area they had to travel, making it shorter.

?Get out,? Eiki murmured under her breath as she began her chanting. ?Get out, so I will never see you again. Get out, so that I can finally rest.

?Get out, so that I can truly lay this drive for justice in its grave... for good.?

?... Eiki,? Komachi whispered, and closed her eyes so that her master would not see her cry.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2010, 05:12:53 AM »
Orin and Satori stood together, watching as Makai's armies finally began to leave.

?They're finally going,? Orin said, one arm around Satori to support her. ?It's over now.?

?No,? Satori disagreed. ?Now the hard part begins.?

?You're the queen now. You have to deal with that.?

?Indeed. Now I have to rebuild Chireiden from the ground up.? Satori closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of Orin's hand stroking a bit of her hair at the base of her neck. ?And I've lost two of the people I care about most. One of them is coming back someday. The other is...?

?... tell me,? Orin began. ?Tell me what you saw in Utsuho's mind.?

A long pause before Satori answered.

?She saw Koishi. Koishi, who is not the same Koishi I grew up with anymore. Utsuho sacrificed herself for someone who could not care less about her anymore.

?Koishi told Utsuho that she was never coming back, and that we would never see her again.?

?I see,? Orin said, bowing her head. ?I hope Koishi will be all right, wherever she's gone.?

?I will find her someday,? Satori began, her voice ringing with determination. ?I will find her someday, and I will sit down and talk with her.?

?But hasn't she changed? Too much??

?That doesn't matter,? Satori replied, her voice ragged from all her crying. ?She's my sister. I can't abandon her. I still love her.?

Her voice lowered, and a single tear threatened to fall at the edge of her eyelid. ?I still love her. If only I had realized that earlier... I didn't realize how much I loved her until I had lost her for good. I will never see her again.?

She put her hand on her chest, and sighed. ?My heart... it feels so empty without her.?

?We'll find her,? Orin nodded. ?We'll see them both again someday, you just watch, Satori-sama. Just take care of what you can now, and work hard for your country. Make this place a wonderful place that Utsuho and Koishi can come back to with joy.?

Satori looked over at her.?... thank you, Rin,? she said, turning a bit and hugging Orin tightly. ?Thank you.?

?Satori-sama?? Orin asked, surprised.

?Please... just let me hug you like this a little while longer.?

Orin smiled then, a sad smile. She wrapped her arms around Satori and held her close. ?Of course, Satori-sama. Any time.?

?Mm,? Satori replied, closing her eyes and resting her head against Orin's warm chest, listening to her breathing for a few moments as the kasha's warm, loving thoughts seeped into Satori's third eye and warmed her heart.

Satori raised her head eventually, and released Orin from her hug. Orin moved out of the way, and now that a good percentage of Makai's army had moved out of the way, she was able to scope the damage that had been made.

The Ancient City was in ruins. The ruling district of Chireiden was covered in ashes from the fallen Palace of the Earth Spirits. Refugees were trickling back, and there was no way she could feed them with their food storages so low.

She had to get food and clean water for her people. Reconstruction would have to begin. Order had to be re-established, and some source of income found for purposes of trading for building material and food they would desperately need for the next few months, if not years.

Satori had been handed the keys to a broken kingdom. She took a deep breath. She was young by satori standards, and inexperienced. No lessons of statecraft could have truly prepared her for the responsibility of running this country. She had one confidante in Orin, but no noble support, and no satori power structure to rely on. She would have to make her way on her own, relying on her smarts and her instincts to lead this country through its darkest days yet.

?It will be a long time before I get a bed to my own and get some rest,? Satori murmured to herself.

She looked down. She had the last remaining Third Eye in Chireiden on her side, and the potential goodwill of the kasha community with her. Even if they were pariahs, that had to count for something. And she had the kindness of Higan to call on, through Sumire and Komachi if not Eiki herself.

And she had herself. She knew she would work hard and not rest until Chireiden was once more a kingdom of peace for its people.

She thought of Utsuho, who would someday come back and see the magnificence she would create, and smiled. She would not let her down.

And then she thought of her sister.

Oh, Koishi... I miss you already. I ruined my own relationship with you. I made you hate me. I promise... if I ever see you again, I'll tell you how much I love you and never want to let you go. I will not make the same mistake twice. One day, you will come back. And when that happens, I want you to be proud of me, I want to be the big sister you can look up to.

I say that I feel emptiness inside.... and that is true. But I look beyond that, further still, inside of me, and I see a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Fierce pride, true joy. Fear and sadness, desperation, and yes, a deep passion, both anger and love together.

I will discipline them all to serve my new country, and to bring you back-- my beautiful, kind, loving sister.

I promise, I will see you again. Someday. Until then, I will work hard to serve my kingdom-- our kingdom-- for the both of us.

Someday. I promise.

?Well,? she began after a long moment of looking out at her new country.

Satori Komeiji turned to her servant, a smile on her face.

?There's a lot of work to do, and much labor to be done before we can lay down to rest.?

She held out her hand.

?Let's get started, eh??

?Huh?? Orin was taken aback.

?Let's do this. For Chireiden. For you, and for me. For Utsuho and Koishi.? Satori smiled. ?For all of us.?

An array of expressions passed over her pet's face. Shock, surprise, confusion, and finally, excitement.

Rin Kaenbyou grinned and took her master's hand.

?Yes, Satori-sama!?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:15 AM »
“And there it goes,” Alice says as she settles down on her palanquin's pillow. “We're finally leaving.”

“Good news, isn't it?” Luize says, leaning back on some cushions. “What do you think, Koishi?”

Koishi turns slowly to see Alice. There are tears running down her cheeks. Alice is taken aback, and flinches.

Koishi laughs for a moment, with no humour in it, and touches her fingers to her tears.

“See these? I'm crying. But I don't know why.”

Alice nods. “Your body knows you should be crying, even if your mind doesn't. Just accept it for now.”

“I understand.” Koishi turns back to the crack in the windows she has open, and watches as the palanquin is carried away from the smoking ruin that is Chireiden. Now that she was leaving, suddenly she wanted to stay. But she had made her decision, and she was never coming back.

The tears keep flowing from Koishi's face. There's something missing here, but she doesn't know what it is. She only gets the strange feeling that someone, somewhere, is missing her terribly.

“Goodbye, whoever you are,” she murmurs, cradling her Third Eye. “If I have my way, I will never see you again. But if fate is with you, well, then...”

“What am I talking about, fate? My fate was to die. But I didn't. I changed my fate. The only thing that I'm certain of is that adventure awaits me, up there on the surface,” she says to herself. “I will enjoy it. That is my choice.

“And I'm going now.”

“To a new world, of infinite possibility.”

And Koishi rides forth onto a new path of her destiny.

Act One, Before the Former Hell - End.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2010, 05:20:55 AM »
Meta: The story up to here (including this segment down below) has a word count of 153,081. Someone please shoot me.

NEXT ARC PREVIEW!
Note: To properly understand this, remember the intermission.

There is a chill in the air, running down her spine as she wakes up, the carriage jolting her awake. She falls forward in her seat, only halted by falling on the lap of the person in front of her. She's still drowsy, but she shakes it off well enough, and gets up, rubbing her eyes, and looking out the window.

?Oh...?

She can see her breath, evaporating small water molecules in the air.

?Oh, no. Oh, no.?

?Hmm?? There is another voice. It's a familiar one. The girl's blonde head moves, and her blue eyes meet her own. ?It's too early in the morning for this... what is it??

?It's snow.?

?What about snow-- whoa. Snow. Oh no.?

The ground is covered with snow. The carriage is having a hard time moving over it, so it can only drag itself forward, lurching with each turn of the wheel.

Yumemi Okazaki nods, looking out the window.

?Yes. It's snowing.?

Next time, on The White Rose of Chireiden
Act Two: The Fantasy Legend in the Making

"These crystals... they're full of an incredibly powerful energy. We call it saboten."

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:59 AM »
And now that that's all over! Oh god I hate myself so much.

But I had this really cool idea! And it is this. I want to open a question-and-answer with my readers. One question per person, and I reserve the right to refrain from answering if the response would be too spoilerrific. So make your questions count.

Shoot! Maybe literally. I deserve it. ;__;

« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
Saboten? The stuff Vivit is powered by?? (that wasn't my question btw)

Anyways, I don't have much to say right now. I'm sorta overwhelmed by the entire thing. Maybe I'll post a more coherent response when I can get all my thoughts on this organized. There's just such a gargantuan amount of stuff, for lack of a better word.

I do want to ask this though: did you go out and treat yourself to a fancy 5 star dinner and a massage for finishing the first arc?

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »
Whew, talk about an emotional rollercoaster.  Utsuho...  I felt a pit in my stomach when Koishi said she didn't care about her, I was on the edge of my seat with suspense when Satori was trying to comfort her, and then I felt warm and fuzzy inside when she avoided falling into despair.  Never would have thought I could be made to care about Okuu like that.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »
I ended up staying up a good 2.5 hours late to read this. I'll comment in more detail when I wake up. And when the lump in my throat goes away. Tear jerker is an understatement... :ohdear:

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Rumour has it that if you read Koishi's denial with this music playing in the background, your heart WILL shatter into a trillion pieces.

Quote from: Ruro
?When I woke up this morning, I didn't think all this could happen.? Utsuho sighed, sounding much older than she actually was. ?Instead, it feels like today has taken over a year.?
I see what you did there.

Dammit, Ruro. I'm still jealous of you for having the resolve to continue with such a huge project. >:<

Anyway, my question - Does Satori have any plans for an heir? Is it even possible considering the entire race bar Koishi has been wiped out? Will she hand rule to the kasha or the oni when she passes on?

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
Does Shinki get her comeuppance? Please tell me she gets her comeuppance.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

Question seconded.

This fanfic was part of the reason I joined MoTK, so seeing it finally updated was a huge treat  :3

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  Epic update is epic.

You pulled out all the stops for that ending.

My question:  Will there be regular updates eventually?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
It's been a while, but it still cuts to the soul.  And yeah, I'm waiting for the... well I can't say I see any ending that's truly happy from here, but catharsis would be nice.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Ragdoll Physics. Don't listen to this while Koishi is rejecting Utsuho.

My Minds' Eye appropriately titled song for Satori picking herself up from Utsuho's memories. Unfortunately, this would be a song from Koishi, not Satori.

My God, Ruro.

A full year in the making, with its ups and downs. Do you know how hollow it made me to read through these latest parts, starting back from Koishi's mindkill and Shinki's reaction hitherto the end of the arc?

I have long operated under the assumption that I was just another mask in the crowd, that I put forth the appropriate emotion to satisfy whatever stimuli was around me. That I had such air-tight control over my emotions, to never let them cloud my judgment or influence my decisions.

How wrong am I. Triumph, joy, sorrow, horror, grief, anguish, and fear came roaring up from the depths of my mind and viciously assaulted me, screaming obscenties at me for assuming I was above such emotion, such arrogance. I have cried because of this - not because I realized I'm not above emotions, oh no. Because the story brought me in with such detail and feeling that I had no choice but to envision it myself.

People will oftentimes claim that 'character angst' is just a crutch, a way around having to plot out actual character developement. I think such people are dumbfucks who don't need to be reading anything, and should restrict themselves to menial labor and flipping burgers. Just because a character is destraught (yes, the emotion behind angst) over something and can't seem to pick themselves up and move on from it doesn't mean the author doesn't know what they're doing.

Instead, well written and well delivered 'angst' will actually draw the reader in and make them question their own judgment and ideals in a similar situation. 'How would I fare? What would I do?'

God, I wouldn't know. The satori are able to stand on their own two feet after such atrocities - forced to endure horrors and life-threatening situations one-after-another. I would've gone down in the first hour.

This story - this epic - tells the tale of what desperation to survive can do for you. The forays through their memories pulls you in and forces you to admit, 'yes, these people are more than just characters. These people have stories, too; they're people, just like anyone else.'

My God, Ruro.  Gift of God to the authors of MotK. I earnestly cannot find words to usher the true and proper praise upon this. I am in awe. I can only hope to draw inspiration from this, to continue writing on my own. To subjugate yourself to the abuse of your own characters, to develop such over-arching storylines... I can only pale in comparison, but damned if I won't try.

Thank you for this, Ruro. Thank you.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2010, 05:15:18 AM »
I do want to ask this though: did you go out and treat yourself to a fancy 5 star dinner and a massage for finishing the first arc?
No, but after reading that comment late last night, this morning, I went out to a delicious little Argentinean bistro and got myself two delicious chicken margherita empanadas for breakfast, that I ate while listening to lovely music straight from Buenos Aires.
That's right, I broke my vegetarianism to celebrate. Praise me!

I see what you did there.
I was wondering who would catch that. :3

Anyway, my question - Does Satori have any plans for an heir? Is it even possible considering the entire race bar Koishi has been wiped out? Will she hand rule to the kasha or the oni when she passes on?
Does Satori have any plans for an heir? Not at the moment. She's got higher-priority things to worry about. That's definitely on her list of things to concern herself with, though.

Is it even possible considering the entire race bar Koishi has been wiped out? The satori race has been established as reproducing sexually, and a rough outline of satori reproduction habits has been provided earlier (once again proving that no biology student should ever write Touhou fanfiction, ever). So no crazy lesbian magical reproduction shenanigans here, folks. If she's going to have a satori heir, it's going to require a male satori. Are any of them still alive? Good question!
Spoiler:
I don't know either.

Will she hand rule to the kasha or the oni when she passes on? Currently low on her list of priorities, but passing the reigns of power to the kasha or oni would present their own sets of problems. The latter are perpetually drunk; the former are very low status in the present Chireiden. But it's not like power transferring to a different caste hasn't happened before. It's a possibility.

Heh heh, you'll have to wait and find out. :3 I'll tell you this: she's no Karma Houdini. She'll definitely get a rebuke in the future.

This fanfic was part of the reason I joined MoTK, so seeing it finally updated was a huge treat :3
Aww, thank you. <3 See, Kilga, encouraging good fanworks is the best thing we can do as administrators to make MotK more popular!

My question:  Will there be regular updates eventually?
When Sakura Taisen gets an English-language port.
Wait, that's actually happened. Damnit. I need a new sarcastic phrase to use as a response. Ummm... When Roukanken writes Shikieiki x Yumemi shenanigans. Yes.

In all seriousness, it's easier for me to keep to a schedule when I'm actually being rushed. During the summer, my sleep issues come back in full force now that they have ample opportunity to ruin my life, but during the school year, I have to make the most of every moment I remain awake. Thus, I hope that your favourite historical war drama fanfiction will be back to a regular schedule now that I'm going back to school. (Does anyone else here even write war drama?)

Thank you for this, Ruro. Thank you.
Dude, you're totally welcome. It's a treat to be able to write for a fanbase such as this. I genuinely like my readers and want to make one of the best fics they've ever read; I hope I'm getting there!
Oh, and thanks for the good music. :3 You have wonderful taste.

Still open for questions. I hope there are more out there! I'm going to be working over the weekend, so I don't expect to be able to address them all immediately, but I will get to them in time.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2010, 05:48:13 AM »
Heh heh, you'll have to wait and find out. :3 I'll tell you this: she's no Karma Houdini. She'll definitely get a rebuke in the future.

Good enough. Satori laying straight into Shinki really made that chapter for me.

Wait, that's actually happened. Damnit. I need a new sarcastic phrase to use as a response. Ummm... When Roukanken writes Shikieiki x Yumemi shenanigans. Yes.

Well, I know who I need to get drunk and force to do something! Oh Rou~

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »
All I can say is great job. It must be a weight off of your chest. I'm interested to see when the Yumemi arc ties into this, and how Utsuho comes back (I'm guessing she escapes whenever the rest of Makai rises up against Shinki).

This has to be the first work of fanfiction that has actually had me on the edge of my seat or getting emotional for the characters, especially Utsuho's final farewell. Great work.

Fiction: August Star in Autumn Sky Eastern Wonderland Story Book 1

Matsuri

« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
(For future reference, please forgive my possible incoherence. It's 3:30 3:45 4:00 right now and I'm dead tired, but I promised that I'd post as soon as I finished :ohdear: )

I'm at a loss for words at the moment, after reading all of this.

...oh, who am I kidding? You know I never have a lack of words to say.

I'm stunned. Absolutely stunned. I should have read all of this a long time ago, because I feel like I've been missing out. My mistake; please forgive me.

The way you write is amazing. It's like I could envision every single scene in my mind in great detail, as you spared no details whatsoever. There was never a dull moment, and I felt the impulse to keep going this whole time just to happen next.

What else... ah, the characters. Oh, god, the characters. I have a new appreciation for every character you've wrote about. You see, I've never been one to look too deeply into Touhou characters beyond their roles in each game's story. To be honest, most of my attention to Touhou in general goes to the games themselves, and not what else could possibly be involved. That has changed tonight. For lack of a better way of explaining it, I feel so much closer to every character now that you've given me a detailed look into each one-- how they think, how they act, what makes them tick-- I'm astonished at how much thought and care you put into each one. It's magnificent. I want to read more. I must read more. I can't wait for more.

Also, now I understand what you've been saying all this time about how hard it is to break your characters. The last update left me feeling...well, shattered, in ways I'm all too familiar with, myself. I think you know what I'm referring to. (If not, I'll explain later. :x)

What I love the most, however, is that when I read this, I don't just see the story at face value, but I can see you as a person in it as well. I can't explain it very well right now, but it makes sense in my mind. :ohdear:
(In other words, we need to talk later. :3)

After reading all of this, things feel different for me. I feel like my love for Touhou and, well, reading in general has been re-ignited. (There's so much I want to read and I've been so lazy oh god). Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this. I had a wonderful time, from the highest, most exciting high to the lowest, most depressing low. I can't wait to read more, and I'll always be more than happy to cheer you on when you're writing. It's a blessing to have someone so talented as you in my life. It really is. <3

I've said it a few times already, but it bears saying again: Congratulations for finishing the first arc. I feel like buying a ton of strawberry ice cream and sending it to you. :P

As for a question... eh, I'll have to think about it for now. I feel like I'm about to fall over from sleepiness here. Good night o/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:11:56 AM by Matsureiko♥Date »

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
This update of White Rose has left me in a very strange mood; probably because it's so much shorter than my usual. It feels unnatural. Yet, it's the story I want to write. I'll live with it. :V

Question and answer is now over. Let's get started on the next year of my life story arc!

The White Rose of Chireiden, Act Two: The Fantasy Legend in the Making

-----

It was a late night. 2:32 AM in the morning, and the girl was still at work, poring over something on her desk. The dim light of the computer reflected off the empty bottles of water strewn around her.

Ahahahaha, I remember this.

Next to her on her desk, a bowl of strawberries sat, and the girl reached into them as she worked without rest on the most important document of her young life-- though she doesn't know it.

And here is where the fun part starts.

?Wait, no. That... can't be right.?

The pencil in her finger spins around as she ponders, sitting in her chair, looking at the wall of text before her, and seeing its fatal flaw for the first time.

?But, if that's not right...?

Go for it!

?Then, ultimately...? She gulps and places her fingers on the keyboard. ?I have to be wrong, but, what if, just if... it was all wrong??

Fuck yes, you are a genius. I am so happy you are me.

With a keystroke, she selects all the text on her screen.

?If it's wrong, then all that is left of this will be--?

Another keystroke, and the page is left blank.

?Nothing.?

She took a deep breath and sat there for a long while, now watching her cursor blink on the blank screen.

It's late, dear. You should go to bed.

She rubbed her eyes, and yawned after a while. She looked at the clock. It was 2:51 AM.

?I should... sleep on this.?

Yes, you should. Because tonight, Chiyuri's going to say an off-hand comment that will set you off on the right direction. Trust me on this.

The girl got out of her seat, and wandered through a door. It was the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, only half aware of what she was doing, but the noise drew someone else there.

?It is 2:53 in the morning,? the other girl said, her tangled blonde hair flowing free behind her shoulders.

?I know, Chiyuri. I'm going to bed.?

The first girl shuts off the water and looks at Chiyuri, who sighs.

?About time. Seriously.?

She leaves the bathroom, stumbling along in the dim light as she heads to their large bed, where her friend has led her. It would be sexual, if they hadn't gone broke to buy that computer.

Weren't teacher salaries back in those days fun?

?Come on. Take a break,? the blonde said as the girl sat on the edge of the bed, looking over at the still-glowing screen of the computer as it shut down.

?I guess I should.? She sighed, and pulled off her red shirt to sleep. It was summer, it was hot, and her head was baked from all the math she had been doing until early morning.

Here it comes...

?You can't work until you fall over exhausted, Yumemi. You're not magical, after all.?

And with that, Chiyuri lay back down and turned on her side, letting out a deep sigh as she drifted off to sleep.

But Yumemi stayed sitting up. Chiyuri's casual comment had a bigger impact than she realized. The teenage scientist's sleep-deprived-crazed mind turned her words over and over, and drew the craziest conclusion from it.

It was so crazy that it just might be true.

?Magical,? she muttered as she finally collapsed on her side at 3:02 AM. ?Now, that... that would explain everything.?

Yumemi fell asleep.

Next to her bed, Yumemi sat, looking down at herself.

Lucid dream again tonight, huh. And my own past, too. How convenient, she thought as she ran a hand down Yumemi's cheek. Man, I used to look so cute while I slept! I wonder if I still look that cute now. Nah, probably not--

BANG!

Yumemi fell forward onto Yuka's lap, still drooling slightly. She snapped back to consciousness after a moment-- lucid dreaming didn't mean that she still wasn't sleeping. Still, it didn't take her very long to remember where she was, or what she was up to. Or on whose lap she had just drooled on.

?Oh crap,? she stammered as she shot back up to an upright position, looking down at the small stain of her drool on the flower youkai's lap. ?Oh crap oh crap oh crap. Uh. I hope she doesn't notice... uh...?

She looked around for something to look distracted by. So she looked out the window, and she found it.

Except it was a very bad thing that she saw.

?Oh. Oh, no. Oh, no.?

She shook her head, willing away what she saw. Maybe she was still dreaming? She pinched her cheek. No such luck. ?This is bad. This is very bad.?

?Hmmm...??

Yumemi glanced over at her assistant, who was stirring next to her. She must have woken her.

Chiyuri rubbed her eyes. ?It's too early in the morning for this... what is it??

?It's snow,? Yumemi replied, stating the obvious.

?What about snow--? Yumemi pointed out the window. ?Whoa. Snow. Oh no.?

They lurched forward again. It seemed that the kitsune pulling their carriage down the Makai-Jigoku Highway was having a hard time getting over the snow. Yumemi looked out of the window, and looked down at the ground. It didn't look possible, but it seemed that the wheels of the carriage were sinking down a fair bit into the snow-- how had it snowed that much overnight?

Snowflakes landed in her hair and on her face. She nodded. ?Yes. It's snowing.?

?... That's not good at all, is it?? Chiyuri asked.

?Nope,? Yumemi replied, and stood up in the carriage. Steadying herself against the edge of the open windowsill, she gripped the edge of the top and poked her head up.

There was Hirano, sleeping with snow covering her back. Yumemi took a moment to observe where the snow had come from. It was piled up on her back, and they were moving south, last she had heard. Meaning that the snow had come from the north, chasing them-- and because it was still snowing, it hadn't cleared yet, either. The road to Hokkai would be even harder from here on.

She turned to see, and sure enough, the tall, white-capped mountain peaks of Hokkai were now visible. So close, and yet so far. With this snow pileup, there was no way to get to Hokkai within the next three days. Yumemi had made this journey before, on the way to her plains laboratory returning from the capital of Makai, and the volatile weather in this are was thoroughly unreliable. She should have seen this snow coming.

She turned back to her actual task then, and reached out to touch Hirano. The miko was sitting cross-legged atop the carriage, a wrapped bundle-- most likely her bow and arrows-- in her hands and over her shoulder as she slept.

Yumemi reached out to touch her knee. ?Hira--?

In a flash, Hirano had pulled a short knife out of her sleep and was moving it at Yumemi's throat.

The only thing that saved her was her excellent reflexes-- without really thinking about it, she moved her neck back so that the knife missed its target entirely, and then snapped out her arm and caught Hirano's.

?Sakurasaki-san!? she shouted, and with a grunt, Hirano awoke.

?Huh? Uh... oh. Uh, hello... Okazaki, was it?? She blinked sleep away from her eyes. ?I'm cold,? she said, still dazed from the morning.

Yumemi sighed with relief. Hirano's attack had been no more than an instinctive, defensive reflex. She wasn't in any danger. She let out her breath, and it evaporated tiny ice crystals in the air as it dispersed.

Hirano watched it in a slight daze, and then her eyes widened.

?Snow-- travel-- weather-- bad. Very bad,? she said, looking around at the snow-covered Goetia Plain, and shaking the snow off of her back as she did so. In a few seconds, it seemed, Hirano had already grasped the gravity of the situation.

Yumemi nodded in appreciation. ?Precisely.?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »
Hirano turned to her. ?Okazaki, please wake up Kazami-san. I must speak with her.?

?Eeh--? Yumemi winced. She didn't want to be the one to wake up the volatile green-haired youkai; she wanted to live, thank you very much. And what if she was grouchy in the morning?

She sighed, and nodded. ?Sure,? she replied, instead of her preferred answer, ?Do it yourself, you look like you could take a couple o' Dual Sparks in your face without flinchin'.?

She ducked back in to the carriage to wake Yuka. As it turned out, she didn't need to bother. Yuka had already been stirred from sleep by Kogasa, who had fallen over onto the youkai's lap. Absentmindedly, Yuka ran her hands through Kogasa's hair as she yawned and stretched.

?Good m-morning, Yuka,? Yumemi stammered, trying not to look nervous.

?Not a really good morning,? Yuka sighed as she looked out the window. ?It snowed last night. We'll never get there in time right now.?

?I guess,? Yumemi sighed as Hirano's upside-down head bobbed in the window next to her.

?Okazaki-san, may I?? she asked, and Yumemi jumped in her seat.

?Ah, yes, you may,? the teacher replied, scooting over on her chair. Hirano's right arm reached down to the door handle, and she opened the door to the cold for a brief moment as she swung down inside and closed it behind her.

?Kazami Yuka, Okazaki Yumemi, Kitashirakawa Chiyuri, and... Tatara Kogasa, yes?? Hirano began, straightening her hakama as she sat next to Yumemi.

Kogasa nodded, her eyes still closed as she lay on Yuka's lap. Yumemi was suddenly struck by how adorable the karakasa looked-- and mildly surprised that Yuka was allowing her to do that.

?Okay.? She cleared her throat. ?We have a situation.?

?At this point, we are twenty-five hours away from Hokkai. We should be twenty-one hours away by now, but with the snow, we just can't move that fast. We're going to be twelve hours late by the time we get there, and by that time, we may have jeopardized everything.?

Yumemi felt her breath catch in her throat.

?We've already lost four hours; we'll be lucky if we break even after this.?

?I don't understand,? Chiyuri objected. ?Doesn't this Hakurei Sayuri have at least four days of life left in her??

?Three and a half, now,? Hirano corrected, ?at most. However, there is some very bad news I am going to break to you now.?

?What?? Yuka asked. ?What happened??

The miko sighed. From within her wide right sleeve, she pulled out a small black... thing of some kind, with a yellow-red dot in the center.

?A spark of the sacred fire of Sakurasaki Shrine,? Hirano explained. ?The fire that does not consume, that never burns.?

Yumemi peered more closely at it. A fire that never burned would be a wonderful energy source, if she could harness it and spread it around. It wouldn't even contaminate the environment, if it was zero-emissions.

?The sacred fire told me in my dreams that Shinki has left the underground city of Chireiden, at least six or seven hours ahead of schedule.?

?Eh??Yumemi blinked, startled out of her scientific thoughts. ?Wait, what does that mean??

?Shinki has reached the surface many hours ahead of what we expected, with her entire army.?

Hirano let that sink in for a moment.

?If she's two hours ahead of us,? Chiyuri began, ?then... she'll make it to Hokkai before we do, won't she??

?That's if our slowdown remains constant at four hours behind, with the snow,? Hirano replied. ?If the snow gets deeper, then...?

She didn't say it. She had no need to say it. Yuka's voice from the night before echoed in her head.

?If you give Shinki that chance, she will take it. You must get in and out of Hokkai Prison with Reimu within the next three days; if you delay any longer, the Hakurei Barrier will end up collapsing entirely. Time is of the essence. You absolutely must rescue Hakurei Reimu from Hokkai Prison within three days, or risk the complete destruction of Gensokyo.?

There was silence for a moment.

?Then that just means we?ll have to speed up,? Yuka said, interrupting the quiet. ?Won?t we??

?How...? Yumemi began, and trailed off as she saw Yuka gently lift Kogasa?s head from her leg, and burst out of the door in a flash. ?Wha--?

?MOVE IT, YOU STUPID OVERGROWN RAT!? they heard Yuka yell from outside, and as Yumemi tried to find out what was going on, the carriage jostled for a moment, knocking around the inhabitants.

Yumemi looked out the window, and saw the strangest thing-- a yellow bird, flying awkwardly through the sky. And falling into the snow. .... Wait.

?She has a mean throwing arm,? Chiyuri nodded with appreciation. ?Wow.?

?You mean she just--?

Some more jostling, and then the carriage was moving again-- but much faster, and much more roughly than it had been before.

Yumemi looked out through the window again, to see the front of the carriage, then pulled her head back in.

?Yuka got rid of the kitsune pulling our carriage and hitched up the reins to herself,? the scientist stated, a look of total disbelief on her face.

"As expected of her." Hirano nodded, pulled a small box out from beneath their seats, and picked up some small pastries wrapped in handkerchiefs. ?Scone??

Yumemi paused, thinking about the imminent, cataclysmic destruction of Gensokyo for a moment, and then looked at Hirano.

"... are there any strawberry ones?"

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
Traveling a long distance like the inside of a cave is supposed to be a dull experience, but it is made a bit easier to handle when it is rushed by the manipulation of distance. However, it still feels a bit strange-- it's like being pulled through a long, narrowing tube, with the wind whistling in one's ears, and falling out at the other end at a normal, ordinary place.

That is what happens to Koishi, even concealed in the carriage as she is. It's taken a while for them to get up there-- the manipulation of distance doesn't mean that the trip to the surface is that much easier. The path of the caves to the surface is still winding and curved, and shooting directly to the surface in a straight line would have been disaster. Instead, they simply move up the path much, must faster, and make a seven-hour trip in just a few minutes.

The train itself is still delayed-- the caravan of wounded soldiers, in particular, slows down the march. But the advance groups are more than six hours ahead of time, and that includes Alice's carriage.

Speaking of which, Alice's private palanquin is thankfully secure, and Koishi does not have to hide elsewhere. After the slight headache of covering such a long distance in a short time, Koishi looks out to the darkness outside of the curtains, and she lays her head down on one of the pillows and falls asleep.

It's the first time she's ever slept outside of the Palace of the Earth Spirits. And it's the first time she's ever dreamed.

She doesn't wake up for a while. The pillows are very comfortable. Alice lays her own head down, and dozes off during the night, right arm stretched out over her Shanghai doll. Luize stays up for a while, but eventually gives in to her own sleepiness and curls up on the feather-filled mattress, covering Alice and Koishi with small blankets before she does the same for herself, and sleeps sitting up in the corner.

So neither of them notices Koishi moving around fitfully in her sleep.

She is dreaming as the carriage emerges from the now-widened tunnel. It?s too early for the sun to rise to their right, and they travel in the shadow of the mountains to the east, to Hokkai, until they meet up with the Makai-Jigoku Highway and travel north to Pandemonium. The snow falls quiet on the ground as the advance forces of Makai pour out from beneath the earth.

And Koishi sleeps. Her dreams are nothing wonderful to speak of.

Alice will wake up about halfway through the night, jostled awake by her palanquin riding over a rock. In the dim morning light, she will see Shanghai?s arm moving on its own. Too drowsy to think much of it, she will fall back asleep.

Koishi will continue dreaming. There is a brief reprieve in her movement, and she is curled up with her knees to her chest, exactly the same position she used to sleep in when there was a hellcrow behind her, letting her sleep on her knee.

As she sleeps, her eyes flutter in rapid eye movement behind her eyelids.

Her Third Eye remains shut.

Her dreams are not restful.

-----

It was dark, very dark. There was a dim light, and it was coming from the girl in front of her, who was standing and watching a scene play out in the shadows.

The girl is watching the faces of people burning. She isn?t shuddering. She feels no fear. In fact, she feels nothing.

Their screams are deafening, but the girl doesn?t seem to notice. They are screaming in many tongues, any tongue that will call for help, but she doesn?t even twitch. Her eyes are lidded and her arms are at her sides, and she makes no move to turn away or help.

The dream is replaying the burning of the Palace of the Earth Spirits.

She approached the girl who is watching the scene unfold before her and said, ?how do you feel?? She puts her hand on the girl?s shoulder.

Koishi turns to see who has touched her, and sees herself.

?I don?t feel anything.?

The other Koishi nodded.

?I feel everything.?

The first Koishi is confused. ?What is there to feel??

The second Koishi looked back at her. Her eyes were black and the center was white. She smiled.

?Your sin, of course.?

From behind her back, she pulls out a... something. It?s so dark that she can?t see it against the pitch black, until its point drives through her Third Eye and then her chest.

Koishi looks stunned, and raises her head to see the same smile on the other Koishi?s face.

?And now it?s time for you to wake up.?

Her eyes lit up, and she pushed the black... thing further into her Third Eye and further into her chest, twisting as she went. Koishi would scream, but her lungs are useless, and she cannot move except for her right arm, and only barely. Black blood explodes from her mouth with each twist, dripping down her chin and her shirt, onto the black sword itself.

It?s lodged in her chest all the way up to the hilt, and the other Koishi stepped back as Koishi rasps out a cry, reaching out her arm in one last effort to keep herself upright.

But the other Koishi did nothing. She only stared down at her with her black sclera and white iris and her wide red smile.

?WAKE UP!?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
Koishi wakes up.

The first thing she checks is her chest. Her breathing is hard, and the image of her other self in her mind won't go away, not even after two seconds.

She scrambles to open her borrowed shirt, and she touches her chest and feels that there is no gaping hole in it bleeding black.

She drops back onto the pillows with a sigh of relief, wiping away the hair that has stuck to her forehead from sweat. She looks up at the stretched cloth over the ceiling of the palanquin, and takes deep breaths.

Koishi has never dreamed before tonight, so it takes her a moment to get a grip on herself. This is her first dream ever. It is a bit hard to realize that it was not real, but a few moments in the silence of the morning reassure her that the other Koishi is not going to attack her here.

?I was scared.?

No tears are coming, but she is shaking anyway.

?That was a horrible nightmare.?

Off to the side, Luize stirred. Koishi bites her tongue, willing herself back to normal. Everything is fine. It was just a dream.

The image of a white iris against a black sclera in a Third Eye flashes through her head one last time, and then it's gone.

Then she notices something... odd. She can't place it well right now. It's all around her, in fact. Mostly it comes from that curtain over there.

Koishi crawls over to the curtain, pulled over the door to the palanquin. At the bottom, it's brighter than it is at the center. What in earth could be causing that?

She pulls open the curtain.

She shuts it.

And then she falls back, her eyes wide, and her face pale. She resists the urge to scream, but only barely. Somehow she cannot tell which is more terrifying-- certain death at the hands of Shinki, or... that.

?Koi... shi. Good morning.?

It's Alice, just Alice. Thank goodness.

?Alice,? Koishi replies, trying to hide the pure shock on her face.

She fails. Alice yawns. ?What's wrong??

?T-that. That thing. Outside.?

?Huh?? Alice looks confused now. ?What's outside?? She makes to open the curtain, but Koishi feels panic surge in her veins again and she quickly lashes out to knock Alice's arm out of the way.

?No, no, please don't,? Koishi begs. ?It's huge. I don't want it to see us. Don't open it.?

Alice looks at her for a long moment, then gives her a short nod. ?Okay. I'll just open it a crack.?

Koishi nods back, and Alice peers through a crack in the curtain. She watches for a moment, then turns slowly back to see Koishi.

?It's not harmful. Come on, come here and look at it.?

?Are... you sure?? the satori asks, her heart still thudding in her chest.

?Yes, I'm sure.? Alice smiles at her. ?In fact, it's something you'll have to get used to.?

She beckons Koishi closer, and the satori crawled on her knees towards the curtain. Alice slowly inched it open.

?For a second, I was confused. Then I remembered you were from the underground.? Alice waved her hand at the mountains. ?That's the Hokkai Mountain Range. The wide blue, well, that's the sky. You don't have that down there, obviously.?

?And... that?? the white-haired girl asks, pointing at the strangest thing of all.

Alice smiles again. ?That's the sun, Koishi. It's like... a lamp in the sky, or... hmm, it's a ball in the sky of fire.?

?A ball of fire in the sky?!? The satori looks alarmed. ?Why doesn't it fall, then??

The princess of Makai laughs, and her blonde hair shines in the morning sunlight.

?Oh, Koishi, you have so much to learn about life up here!?

Well, okay, not much in the way of action happens; but I do feel I did more research to work with Freudian and Jungian conceptions of the mind than is actually visible in this update. My notes and research document grew quite a bit; White Rose itself did not.

I had to delve into my old psychology lecture notes, too. And in the interests of full discretion, I still ended up taking a lot of my concepts in this chapter from Joseph Conrad's The Secret Sharer (which is a neat little short story, go read it).

The times that Yumemi lists off are the times that I saw whenever I looked the clock while I was writing, yes. :V Speaking of, it is 4:14 AM here, which adds up to nine, my number obsession. It's time for bed, I have class tomorrow. Yikes!