Author Topic: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all  (Read 201098 times)

Re: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »
The thing with ReimuC (and all shots really) is that your main shot gets weaker as you get more options, that's why you can't capture the card at full power, for ReimuC in particular, you can only capture it on 0-2 power, if you have 3 or 4 power, bomb.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »
The thing with ReimuC (and all shots really) is that your main shot gets weaker as you get more options, that's why you can't capture the card at full power, for ReimuC in particular, you can only capture it on 0-2 power, if you have 3 or 4 power, bomb.
You can still capture Blazing Wheel with 3 or 4 Power iirc, it's just that the timer comes down to less than 5 seconds if you keep unfocusing. Do your best to stay focused for as long as possible at the start of the card, that way you can deal some extra damage.

I haven't tried this myself, but a long time ago I was told you can do this card a bit above the bottom of the screen, high enough where you don't have to unfocus to keep up with the lanes.  If someone has a replay or video of that, that would be helpful.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:59 AM »
I haven't tried this myself, but a long time ago I was told you can do this card a bit above the bottom of the screen, high enough where you don't have to unfocus to keep up with the lanes.  If someone has a replay or video of that, that would be helpful.
So you were right. I think the timing is a little too strict, though.

« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »
Hm, that's interesting. While playing other difficulties, I always did feel like staying higher up kept the lanes narrower, but I thought it was just my imagination. Is the timing stricter than capturing the Hard version in the normal position (only slightly above the very bottom) without unfocusing? I can at least do that consistently enough (with Reimu A, anyway) that I didn't bother learning the unfocused method until I faced the attack on Lunatic.

« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2014, 05:03:46 AM »
It is stricter I find, but it could be just me using a method I'm not used to, so maybe you can get consistent at it. Still, this seems useful just for ReimuC, A and B can do fine with the regular way, and I don't think Marisa can do this.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
So you were right. I think the timing is a little too strict, though.

The more you know. I feel like I'd screw that up really easy though.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
By the way, Orin drops 2 power when defeated. So if you have 3+ power you can bomb the spell for free (and even get more points in the process from extra post-midboss enemies).

« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »
For Virtue of Wind God (Hard, I'm not good enough for Lunatic lol), how do you get past the part where there's 3 or so amulet walls on top of each other? Later in the card these pop up a lot and I can't find any way around them, even after watching a bunch of replays. If there's just one I can dodge through it, but when they stack up it seems rather impossible.

Also, is there any pattern to Kuzui Clear Water? It seems sometimes the knife bursts have huge gaps in them, and other times they cross with only tiny gaps to dodge through.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
How the heck do you dodge the butterfly clusterfuck that is ISC 4-3? I'm trying to go for a no-item clear.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
For Virtue of Wind God (Hard, I'm not good enough for Lunatic lol), how do you get past the part where there's 3 or so amulet walls on top of each other? Later in the card these pop up a lot and I can't find any way around them, even after watching a bunch of replays. If there's just one I can dodge through it, but when they stack up it seems rather impossible.

Also, is there any pattern to Kuzui Clear Water? It seems sometimes the knife bursts have huge gaps in them, and other times they cross with only tiny gaps to dodge through.
For VoWG, you just have to look ahead and all around and aggressively push into those openings. Further in, you might have to dodge through the wider amulet walls while positioned between the denser ones, which is tricky.

The knife spell card seems unpredictable to me. I think it's just raw dodging ability.

« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
How the heck do you dodge the butterfly clusterfuck that is ISC 4-3? I'm trying to go for a no-item clear.

Pray to the RNG...

Sorry but unless I am missing something, its pretty much luck based.

Also, be sure to use the Doll-Sub and sit on top of Yuyuko. If done correctly and with good luck, you should end that luckfest of an scene right before the 3rd wave of butterflies reaches you!

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EIQVCHSHwM

This video has the player doing the exact same thing I did for this scene, except it took a few more waves than just 3...

But the general strategy is the same.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:29:18 PM by IlikeBulletZ »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
Thanks... I wonder when I will ever clear it then. I just suck so bad at reading things from below.

OTOH, 9-1 seems to have some sort of weird strategy that I see everyone using but I can't figure it out. What is it?

« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
9-1 is a puzzle based spell a la Extra Stage Spell Cards...

Ugh, its kinda hard to explain with words (And English isn't my home language so it makes it even harder to explain), but it basically consists of "Rising" (Hence spell card name) towards Kanako at the moment she summons the lasers/bullets at the top...

Probably should watch a video for this one...

Believe me, even with knowing the trick, the timing for it to work is rather small IMO.

Its the hardest day 9 scene for a reason!

BTW do you plan to No Item the whole game? If so, you should be aware than all days have 1 particular tricky scene to No Item that is WAY harder to No Item than the other scenes from these days.

IMO, the hardest scenes per day:

Day 4: 4-6 is hellish. But its actually rather easy when compared to the others...

Day 5: 5-2... Hardest scene to No Item in the ENTIRE GAME, IMO. Enough said. If you can pull this one off, you will probably be able to do all others.

Day 6: 6-5 Mainly because its a RNG tests due to these lasers :/

Day 7: 7-4 Actually somewhat easier than the others.

Day 8: 8-6... Well its just hard and also somewhat luck based.

Day 9: Already stated in this very same post :P

Day 10: 10-4, of course! (But hey, it is actually fun to do!...)

All of this is based on my personal experience and its of course my opinion... maybe you find another scene harder than those in these days, but quite honestly, the difference in difficulty is fairly noticeable...

And finally, if you DONT intend to No Item the entire game, then ignore this post I guess xD

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #283 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »
I don't think I'll be able to no-item the whole game, but I'm already at 61/75 scenes cleared no-item (with 25 hours of play time) and I hope to get a few more before reaching my limit...

I actually figured out some sort of trick for 4-6 (namely, dodge 1 criss cross, and then stream downward for the rest, works 70% of the time), so it wasn't that bad (still took 120 attempts); for me 4-3 seems to be a lot worse.

I'm missing these scenes:
4-3
5-2, 5-5
6-5
7-4
8-6
9-1
10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, 10-6, 10-7, 10-9

They all seem particularly hard :(
Maybe I'll do 10-9, but idk......

EDIT: wooo got 9-5 (155 tries, luck shit) and 9-2 (331 tries wtf am I just bad at dodging)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:04:10 AM by MTSranger »

« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
Heh, you are in pretty much the exact same position I was a month ago or so-

With 60ish/75 scenes No Item in 20ish hours... I also said to myself I was just going to keep clearing until I felt like I was done with the game, but I ended up No Clearing the entire game anyway because it was just so fun to do! (Except for Scene 5-2, F*** YOU 5-2!!!!!!!!!!!)....

Oh anyway...

That's great!...

And the list you have made happens to have nearly all of those I mentioned in my previous post as well! So it must mean something...

Anyway, if you do want any tips on those, I can always try to help if you want!...

Except on stuff such as 5-2. Someone who has died 4,800+ times  trying to No Item clear that scene probably shouldn't give tips to others about it :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:02:11 PM by IlikeBulletZ »

« Reply #285 on: December 18, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone had any real tips on cracking open UFOs? For some reason, I always end up losing them and they fly away with my precious powerups! I can't keep track of the UFO at the top of the screen and the bullets that pop up, especially at stage 4 and onward.

« Reply #286 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone had any real tips on cracking open UFOs? For some reason, I always end up losing them and they fly away with my precious powerups! I can't keep track of the UFO at the top of the screen and the bullets that pop up, especially at stage 4 and onward.

Well, other than using bombs on them, there's not much you can do if they're getting away. You don't really need to keep track of the UFOs, when you summon them, they stay on the center of the screen for about 3 seconds, then they fly to align with you, and stay there until their timer runs out and they fly off, so keep that timing in mind to damage, or even lure them somewhere you can shoot them safely

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
Reached Raiko without losing lives and also beat Parsee :D. Now I need tips on Raiko's second spellcard and Yuugi (whole non-spells and spellcards).
Mwahahahahha!

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »
Raiko's second spellcard

Personally I just pay more attention to the arrowed bullet waves than the red bullets, though there's really only one spot in the spell that warrants help and I know exactly when that is. Try focusing on the arrowed waves first and then squeeze through the red bullets. If you don't pay attention to the arrowed bullet waves chances are you'll be hit unsuspectingly. Perhaps staying lower might make that part easier provided you avoid both the vertical and horizontal waves.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:25:09 AM by Mesarthim »

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
No idea where else to ask this, so... what does LNN mean?

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
No idea where else to ask this, so... what does LNN mean?
Lunatic no miss no bomb with another "no X" in several games.

PCB: No border break
IN: No last spell failure
UFO: No UFO summon (with one exception, see LNN thread)
TD: No trance
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #291 on: December 23, 2014, 06:39:25 AM »
Forget Yuugi now. I beat her (still having problems with her first and final non-spell. Rest was easy. Now, Satori's final spellcard with ReimuSuika gave me huge problems (Lost all 3 lives against that).

EDIT: MarisaNitori got me to stage 5, but at the cost of bombing hard on the previous stage.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:41:35 PM by KogasaxNue »
Mwahahahahha!

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
Is there any strategy to the green phase in Imperishable Shooting or is it just a matter of dodging?

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
IS is aimed, so the gaps will always appear in the same spots if you're in the same place. Not only that, but the gaps always appear in the same position relative to each other (regardless of where they appear). AND not only that, but you have to make like 3 small movements to dodge the green wave. Step 1, start between 2 of the lanes; there's the first, big ass gap. Tap left

Step two: After the bullets to your right have passed you, tap right, you should be here now:

Step 3: Tap left into the gap, they'll align with each other so you only have to move up from here.

The pattern is of course easiest when you're in the middle, since then you only have to move up instead of diagonally in the end, but it's not the move difficult wave.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »
Oh wow, that's quite the detailed answer you gave me, thanks! even though I'm survival scrubbing for NMNB so I would've been okay with "it's a static pattern that's aimed"

« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
Question: What are the movement speed statistics of the three chars in UFO? Are they analogous to PCB? Or Sanae is different from Sakuya?
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
Arcorann has this useful list for comparing movement speeds.

Notably, from MoF onward, almost everyone is standardized to an unfocused speed of 4.5 (5 for Marisa) and a focused speed of 2.

Meanwhile, EoSD to IN use unfocused speeds of 4 and 5 (meaning Reimu and others are slower than in MoF+), and variable focused speeds (Sakuya being relatively fast focused).

Mr Jovial

« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask for scoring help (I remember a thread specifically for scoring but can't find it) but oh well.
This thing:

There are 2 of these fairies that appear on Stage 2 and they both give about 2k time points each but I can't figure out a reliable position for cancelling them properly with Netherworld Team. It's mainly a problem of finding the correct height in time to start shooting it. Anyone know a way to find the right height for it (and timing for that height I suppose :V)?

Choco Beam

• おやすみしな
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »
Ok, this what I do. Sorry for the rough pic, I'm a lazy sloth.

1. Line up your touhou to the 2nd from the top Kanji on the right side.
2. Line up your touhou just to the left side of the fairy.
3. As soon as the fairy shoots the round bullets, start shooting and tap left.
4. Instant 2k orb every time.

That's what works for me. Try it out and experiment. Also, maybe It's just me, but there's a subtle difference on the timing  for the 2nd fairy. It dies a tiny bit faster than the first one, though it might just be my imagination.

Edit: Replay demonstration
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:02:07 PM by Aizo »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask for scoring help (I remember a thread specifically for scoring but can't find it) but oh well.
It was here, though the thread wasn't used for much.