Author Topic: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all  (Read 201834 times)

Re: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »
OK, so... hi there, long time lurker presenting himself!.. :)

I was just wondering if someone has some idea on how to No-Item THIS Scene from ISC, because...

I evidently don't.

That's 1,000 attempts down the drain... disappointing...

I simply don't see how it is possible to do this without praying to the RNG... I try and keep trying, but its getting a bit tiresome by now- I just don't see how it is possible to consistently dodge the barrage of Arrow Bullets, and I HAVE tried everything I could think off; I already shotgun the boss with Doll Sub, I already tried to use the Tengu Camera Sub to see if it helps misdirecting the arrows (It kind of does, but it does less damage than Doll Sub so its useless), but it just doesn't works!... what is worse, the best attempt had the boss with like 25% HP left, it wasn't even that close...

If someone has a tip or two, other than get insanely lucky with the RNG, I could really (REALLY) use it!

(Hope this was posted on the right section).

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
A small thing I wonder about. In PC-98 games, are there any drastic pattern changes between difficulties, like how in many Windows games some spellcards are entirely different, or is it just a simple "more bullets" fare? I can't quite remember any instances of the former, if there are any.

« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
In touhou SWR/Hisou, after selecting a character i can change palettes, but also i see a small Kanji and there are 4 options, does changing these do anything? I recall a red,green,white and a black circle with red kanji, what do they do to the gameplay of my character?

« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »
In touhou SWR/Hisou, after selecting a character i can change palettes, but also i see a small Kanji and there are 4 options, does changing these do anything? I recall a red,green,white and a black circle with red kanji, what do they do to the gameplay of my character?

(Looking at soku here; I would assume it works somewhat the same in Hisouten, though it's possible there are some differences as I don't SWR) You can create four different decks of cards for each character. You've got a greenish one, a reddish one, a blueish one, and a yellowish one. There's also the red circled one which I want to say is probably random deck.

I couldn't read the Kanji myself to tell you what they all mean, though, but those are just decks as far as I can tell. No apparent difference between them aside from the cards you set in them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:26:25 PM by SirBlueberry »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
A small thing I wonder about. In PC-98 games, are there any drastic pattern changes between difficulties, like how in many Windows games some spellcards are entirely different, or is it just a simple "more bullets" fare? I can't quite remember any instances of the former, if there are any.
I think that was introduced with the spell card system (it seems particularly common in EoSD compared to other games, and almost entirely fades out by SA onward). So no, not in the PC-98 games.

The PC-98 difficulty differences seem more formulaic actually-- single aimed bullets become 2 or 3, enemies that didn't fire anything start firing randomly timed aimed bullets, things like that. There's relatively less difference between the difficulties; SoEW's bosses don't even change between Hard and Lunatic.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »
Mainly curiosity, I guess, but...
People have said PCB SakuyaA is a terrible shot type.
Uh... why? it has decently powerful homing, and the bombs are decent and she gets 4, too.... seems to be overall decent; aside from scoring.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »
Depending on who "People" exactly is the reason may well be scoring.
But it also happens more often than not that it locks onto the wrong enemy during stages (particularly Stage 2 between the first and second meeting with Alice) and you end up in front of your target shooting at something else.
It's more of an inconvenience than anything else though.
And the damage is only decent when comparing to ReimuA (who has next to no damage anyway).

Judging shottypes in these games is highly subjective.
I myself tend to call Reimu in general terrible which only stems from the fact that to me she is annoyingly slow, like MarisaB in UFO and if I pick Reimu in MoF it's C-type so there's that.

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
My problem with Sakuya A is that she's just too good from a casual perspective.
With her I've got my first 1cc on Normal and my first Extra clear but then when I tried approaching these goals with both Reimu B and Sakuya B I had to learn pretty much everything from scratch.
With Sakuya A you've just got to dodge bullets and wait for the knives to take down whichever fairy\boss they are locked to, and when the situation is too dangerous then no problem, just use a bomb since you've got shittons of them. I would say that it teaches bad habits but since I'm still a fairly inexperienced player it's more than a hunch than anything.
It's the same thing for Border Team in IN I think.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
I personally never really had a problem with tracking and staying below the boss to shoot her so Homing Types always disappoint me with their lack of damage. :V
I guess Homing Types are kinda tailored towards newer players since it takes away the burden of concentrating on the boss's position and following it and that's fine.

iPetalchaser

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »
I couldn't read the Kanji myself to tell you what they all mean, though, but those are just decks as far as I can tell. No apparent difference between them aside from the cards you set in them.
This comes a little late, and is not really relevant to gameplay, but still....
Now, these icons are from Shinkirou, but the ones in Hisoutensoku are the same.

The four Kanji that represent the four decks are 喜, 怒, 哀, 楽 , read together as "Kidoairaku", and meaning "Emotions"
Individually, they represent the four emotions, somewhat similar to the old medicinal concept of "four humours" that was used in the west.

喜 : Ki, 'Delight'
怒 : Ika , 'Anger'
哀 : Ai, 'Sorrow
楽 : Raku , 'Humour, Ease'

What i find really lovable is that if you play as Kokoro in Shinkirou, her Religious Alignment chances as she experiences one of the first three (can't take it eajy in a fight, yuu~!) emotions with each of her special moves, with Delight being Taoism, Anger being Buddhism, and Sorrow being Shintoism.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:15:25 PM by Kayneth »

« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2014, 02:27:18 AM »
Sakuya A definitely offers a number of advantages for survival, a lot of which cater to newbies. Her unfocused shot has a huge spread, her homing shot further removes the need to memorize patterns, and she gets 4 fairly strong bombs per life. Also, if you're really new to Touhou and you haven't gotten used to releasing the focus button to make short, quick dashes, Sakuya's high focused speed can actually help you at times, since with it, you can still move around the screen fast enough without unfocusing. (I know that's how I felt toward it when I was still learning the ropes.) I ended up using Sakuya A for my first 1cc's on each difficulty in PCB; by the time I was going for my first Lunatic 1cc, I had learned the patterns well enough that I preferred to use Reimu B most of the time, but I still fell back on Sakuya A for the 1cc because of her sheer bombing power.

The problem I have with Sakuya A is that her bombing power is pretty much the only major advantage she offers for a player who's actually learned the game's attack patterns. If you're trying to capture spell cards, her high focused speed and below-average damage output will tend to drag you down (with the exception of a few patterns where the homing compensates). She's also not quite as great for the Extra and Phantasm stages, since her bombs don't give you free passes on the spell cards and her low damage output makes the boss's fifth spell card take much longer.

Overall, I would say Sakuya A is useful for getting 1cc's even for more advanced players, but as you learn the patterns, you'll be better able to use the forward-focus shot types, which is why many players end up switching to Reimu B, Marisa A, or Sakuya B.

« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Sakuya A definitely offers a number of advantages for survival, a lot of which cater to newbies. Her unfocused shot has a huge spread, her homing shot further removes the need to memorize patterns, and she gets 4 fairly strong bombs per life. Also, if you're really new to Touhou and you haven't gotten used to releasing the focus button to make short, quick dashes, Sakuya's high focused speed can actually help you at times, since with it, you can still move around the screen fast enough without unfocusing. (I know that's how I felt toward it when I was still learning the ropes.) I ended up using Sakuya A for my first 1cc's on each difficulty in PCB; by the time I was going for my first Lunatic 1cc, I had learned the patterns well enough that I preferred to use Reimu B most of the time, but I still fell back on Sakuya A for the 1cc because of her sheer bombing power.

The problem I have with Sakuya A is that her bombing power is pretty much the only major advantage she offers for a player who's actually learned the game's attack patterns. If you're trying to capture spell cards, her high focused speed and below-average damage output will tend to drag you down (with the exception of a few patterns where the homing compensates). She's also not quite as great for the Extra and Phantasm stages, since her bombs don't give you free passes on the spell cards and her low damage output makes the boss's fifth spell card take much longer.

Overall, I would say Sakuya A is useful for getting 1cc's even for more advanced players, but as you learn the patterns, you'll be better able to use the forward-focus shot types, which is why many players end up switching to Reimu B, Marisa A, or Sakuya B.

Spot on.

SakuyA is very newbie friendly. I know from personal experience since it was with her with whom I got my first PCB 1cc Easy (And since PCB was my very first Touhou, my first 1cc ever back when I started to get into Touhou.

I think shes designed that way on purpose. I mean, when you are REALLY new, you look at the character selection screen, and you go "um, this one has 4 bombs while the others get 1 or 2 less per life... yep".

For a newbie, she is the obvious choice. At least I remember I did that when I first played :P

After the Easy, Normal, Extra and Phantasm clears, I deciced to give another shotype a go... Then ReimuB, and my first Lunatic 1cc happened...

I think the game is actually harder as SakuyA now, because she is just that weak. Also she might have 4 bombs per life but the crappy cherry gain somewhat compensates for that.

In short: VERY newbie friendly character, but has no potential to be usefull when the player has a certain amount of experience and skills playing the game (Namely, getting the patterns memorized and getting under the boss at least 70% of the time).

That begin said, at least SakuyA is usefull for newbies/newcomers to Touhou. What has ReimuA to offer to us? unless I got it wrong, she is an even WEAKER version of SakuyA, for both Newbies and Experienced players...

« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2014, 03:50:55 AM »
Reimu A has true homing shots, unlike Sakuya A's "aimed" shots, which means they're guaranteed to hit their target no matter where it is, even if it's moving across the screen. Reimu A also puts some of her firepower into a straight shot, which also helps her avoid mishaps during stages. Against bosses, she takes longer on each attack, but she doesn't have to put up with Sakuya's squirrelly focused movement and she has a smaller hit box and longer death bomb window.

I'm not really sure Reimu A is better for newbies than Sakuya A, but Reimu's defensive characteristics make it seem like she was intended to be the default newbie character. (Even Reimu B has elements of this, as she's generally the most forgiving of the forward focus shot types.)

Personally, I don't really like using Reimu A because of how long it takes to take down bosses, but on the occasions when I have used her, I've often surprised myself with how well I do. (For instance, I've only ever captured Charming Siege once, and that one time was with Reimu A.) Thus, I don't think I'd consider her awful in terms of practicality--I just don't find her very fun to use.

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
I'm not sure if there's already a thread for that or if I'm not supposed to make one and if so, please tell me. :)

Now uh, I cleared IN on Easy (and got up to stage 4 on Normal without continuing), but that's really it. Now I've heard there are people who cleared the Extra stage before
even clearing Normal mode, so  I gave it a shot...and my response to that is: WTFEXTRA. The stage wrecks me, I can capture Keine's second card with luck, when I reach
Mokou I have 1 life and 0-2 bombs most of the time and the farthest I ever got was 'Deathless "Xu Fu's Dimension"', which is a pretty ridiculous card IMO.

Now I know about the last death fairy's safe spot on the lower left corner using Boundary Team, but that doesn't really help. I have attempted the stage with Boundary Team
and got to 'Deathless "Xu Fu's Dimension"', I have not tried it with Magic Team, I tried it with Scarlet Team and got to the last death fairy and using the Underworld Team
I have gotten to 'Future "Next History of Phantasm"'.

Any tips you guys have to clear the Extra stage of Imperishable Night?
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
I haven't my self, but I can give a few tips.

when I reach Mokou I have 1 life and 0-2 bombs most of the time
Bomb as often as possible, if you're focusing on survival. The Border Team's longer deathbomb window will help with this.

Now I know about the last death fairy's safe spot on the lower left corner using Boundary Team
I didn't know about that. I'll try that later.

'Deathless "Xu Fu's Dimension"
This is a strange card with strange hitboxes. You have to both stream the red rice, and dodge the amulets.
Because the card's sprite is much bigger than the actual hitbox, you have to start a little off to the left or right, going as far down as you can, and just slowly stream. Make sure you're in a gap in the cards when they move forwards.

'Future "Next History of Phantasm"'.
This is the exact same as Keine's first card, but the red bullets are bigger, and the blue bullets are slower.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
Ugh...

I am no expert at that extra stage myself, but unless you REALLY want to do it...

I personally would aim for a Normal clear before Extra... its simply too much of a big jump skill wise... Even if you literally somehow memorized everything, it would still be hard as hell simply because you lack practice.

Even if you have to use more default lives than the default to clear Normal, that would be better, IMHO.

I cant see who had the idea of clearing Extra before Normal. I know I tried to do that with PCB back when I started to play Touhou, and it didn't went well... I though Ran was like the ultimate videogame challenge or something back then, when nowadays I can do the whole thing with maybe using 2 or 3 bombs, lol...

For mokou you would probably want to reach there with 3 lives minimum... first practice the stage by heart, then go for the boss herself.

Bomb ASAP and with no doubt. Unless you have only ONE bomb, don't try to death bomb on purpose.

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »
The stage part is fairly simple once you've learned how to do it, watch some good replays and practice a lot, there aren't really any difficult dodge with the exception of the death fairy if you don't use the safespot and even that it's not that difficult. There is no reason to waste bombs on the stage part when you need them so much against Mokou, and since in IN deathbombing uses two bombs instead of one you'll burn through your bombs REALLY quickly.
Keine is really really easy once you know how to deal with her: the first and last spell cards are just positioning yourself in a good spot when she begins shooting and then streaming, the second it's a little bit more complicated since you've got to move quickly but you just have to predict where the gaps will form and misdirect the big bubbles.
Regarding Mokou I don't know... Most of her spell cards become trivial when you know their secret, and Xu Fu's Dimension is the easiest one: move to the bottom of the screen, tap up and then the blue amulets won't touch you anymore, you've got to stream the red bullets and avoid the red amulets (learn their timing).
The most difficult spell cards in my opinion are Tsuki no Iwakasa's Curse (the first one), Fujiyama Volcano which is manageable if you know where to move but it's still too easy to mess things up and Hourai Doll. And let's not talk about the non-spell cards the last one is absolutely brutal.
All in all I think you'll be better off clearing Normal Mode before Extra, or at least play it 'till you'll feel more confident on your dodging skills and develop some good bombing habits (as I stated before using death bombing in IN isn't really optimal it's far better to use just a bomb even when you're not really gonna die, in the long run it may save you some bombs to use on the last non-spell cards or during Hourai Doll for example).

And all of these opinions come from a person who cleared IN's Extra just once so I'm no authority here, please prove me wrong if I said some stupid things.

« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »
Any tips you guys have to clear the Extra stage of Imperishable Night?
Save and watch your own replays. You might see patterns that would be difficult to spot in-game. Take note of enemies that aim at you vs those that don't.
Memorize the enemy spawns.
Use spell practice. Make note of the spells that you can capture vs. those that you need to bomb.
Watch videos of other people beating the stage. If you want to avoid spoiling yourself, simply watch up to the point that you've reached in-game.
As usual, bomb anything that is an immediate threat.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
I'm learning to score MoF Lunatic (I use Marisa-C) and I can think of two patterns I don't really understand, no matter how much I watch other players do them. Does anyone have some tips for Nitori's "Trauma in the Glimmering Depths" and Kanako's opener? Thanks.

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:24 PM »
Um, any tips for PCB normal? First 3 stages are easy for me, but stage 4 is there where I start to bomb everything. I play as Sakuya, so I'm fighting with Merlin. Any tips for her/Youmu/Yuyuko? I'm still fairly new player.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm learning to score MoF Lunatic (I use Marisa-C) and I can think of two patterns I don't really understand, no matter how much I watch other players do them. Does anyone have some tips for Nitori's "Trauma in the Glimmering Depths" and Kanako's opener? Thanks.

For Trauma in glimmering depths, try to lure Nitori to the left first, so she goes to the right the second time, If you're not used to arranging your options yet, reset them slightly to the left, plus that attack is mostly memo, so if you find a way to do it you can do it every time. Kanako's opener unfortunately has no trick to it, you just have to read it.  this could be useful too

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2014, 05:34:18 PM »
I'm fighting with Merlin.
I have no tips for Merlin, but on the Sisters' first combined card, try to get the red Sister to come up after Merlin.
Her nonspells are mostly streaming.

Also, use stage practice as much as possible to memorize the patterns.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
For Trauma in glimmering depths, try to lure Nitori to the left first, so she goes to the right the second time, If you're not used to arranging your options yet, reset them slightly to the left, plus that attack is mostly memo, so if you find a way to do it you can do it every time. Kanako's opener unfortunately has no trick to it, you just have to read it.  this could be useful too
Thanks! I'll be using that patch.
Um, any tips for PCB normal? First 3 stages are easy for me, but stage 4 is there where I start to bomb everything. I play as Sakuya, so I'm fighting with Merlin. Any tips for her/Youmu/Yuyuko? I'm still fairly new player.
Try to hit Lyrica the most on the Prismrivers' first spell card; this will cause her to attack next and I find her to be the easiest to dodge. I'm not sure what specific advice to give, but I would suggest watching some replays from gensokyo.org or youtube. Youmu's patterns can look tricky but a lot of them are just well-disguised stream patterns and she repeats a lot of the same stuff.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:50:19 PM by Cream Soda »

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »

Sakuya A or B? The difference is pretty important I think.
The fourth stage is 80% streaming so you've got to play the stage again and again in practice mode and watch some videos\replays, note how the player is moving and where they put themselves between waves and try to replicate them. Misdirecting Lily initial bullets and learning how to do the death fairy before the boss fight is also pretty important I think.
For Merlin opening non-spellcard just... bomb. Even twice if you need it.  That pattern is far more difficult than it should be, at least in Normal and Hard, and if you go back a couple of pages you can see I was asking help for that while I was aiming for an Hard 1cc. Since then I got it but I still don't know of any good way for dealing with this attack, so bomb it like there is no tomorrow and forget about it.
After that try to go for Lyrica for the second part of the fight as was said by Cream Soda, she's the easiest sister by far.

« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:27 AM »
For Merlin's opener, you'll want to start in a corner and stream across the screen for each cycle. Merlins fires the lasers twice during each cycle, so you'll want to move to the middle to dodge the first time and then to the opposite corner to dodge the second time. This way, you'll only have to worry about the red bullets, which shouldn't be too bad on Normal difficulty, as shown here. (On higher difficulties, there are many more red bullets, which makes it a lot harder; see this video for comparison.)

I actually would recommend that you NOT target Lyrica during the sisters' first spell card; while it's true that she's the easiest sister on Hard and Lunatic, I actually find her to be the most difficult sister on Normal due to her solo spell card. Merlin also has a relatively easy non-spell and a tricky spell card, so most players I've seen go for Lunasa instead.

Here's an old Sakuya A Perfect Stage 4 Normal replay of mine, if it helps.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:07:06 AM by MrL1193 »

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »
Thanks for all your tips, I'm going to try them for sure.

Sakuya A or B? The difference is pretty important I think.

Sakuya A.
I tried with every sister and Lyrica has easiest nonspell, but her spell card is pretty tricky.  Lunasa's spell card is tricky as well, Merlin's seems pretty easy.
I haven't practice Youmu too much, I think I know how to beat her nonspells and spell cards, but she's still nasty.
Also, can you help me with Yuyuko? She's pretty hard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:30:18 PM by LunaWillow »

« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2014, 06:14:20 AM »
If I remember correctly, Yuyuko's opener is easier to deal with if you lead her to the right at the start (except on Lunatic, where left is easier). It can be memorized, so just make sure to practice it.

Lost Soul's Village doesn't really have a trick, but since you're using Sakuya A, it should go down pretty quickly anyway. Just make sure you don't forget which side you have to move toward to dodge the laser fan on each wave.

For the second non-spell, start in a corner and slowly stream across the screen, only moving to dodge the bubbles. Sakuya A should end the attack with plenty of time to spare.

Deadly Dance is pretty tricky; it's another streaming attack, but you have to plan when you want to turn around carefully or you'll get trapped. The rings of butterfly bullets look worse than they really are; your main focus should be on the bubbles. Sometimes, the bubbles in a volley are spaced out enough that you can dash between them if you're unfocused, but for your first 1cc, it's probably not worth it. Don't hesitate to bomb if you feel trapped.

The third non-spell is probably Yuyuko's hardest, but once again, Sakuya A makes it quite a bit easier. Stay in the center at the start and then make your way over to a corner when the daggers start closing in on you. You can stay in the corner for quite a while before the daggers start to threaten you again, and Sakuya A will be dealing damage to Yuyuko the whole time, so this shouldn't be too bad.

Flowery Soul is all about planning out a route and repeating it. I prefer to start in the middle, then move up and to the side, and from there, keep going down to the middle and back up on the other side. The blue bullets form safe lanes in places, so make sure to take advantage of them. As long as you don't panic, it should be doable.

The fourth and final non-spell is by far the easiest. Use slight movements to dodge the aimed arrows, keep an eye on the green butterflies, and don't fall asleep.

Repository of Hirokawa is probably Yuyuko's easiest spell card, and Sakuya A only makes it easier. Stay at the side when she fires the butterfly net, then slowly stream to the middle as she fires the aimed butterflies. After she fires the fourth volley of aimed butterflies, make a break for the opposite side of the screen (don't be afraid to unfocus to dash) and repeat from the other side. Other shot types have to work to stay under Yuyuko more during the streaming portion in order to capture the card (as opposed to timing it out), but with Sakuya A, you can ignore Yuyuko's position and still get the capture with plenty of time to spare.

Now we get to the really tough stuff. Sumizome Perfect Blossom is another big streaming attack, but it lasts a really long time and you have to watch out for all the falling cherry blossom bullets, which only grow more numerous with time. I prefer to wait in the middle for Yuyuko to fire the first wave of aimed butterflies, then quickly move to the side and start streaming back toward the middle, but no matter what you do, you're going to have to change directions several times before the card ends. Try to wait until right after Yuyuko has fired an aimed wave at you and then quickly move a fair distance to the side so you'll have room to turn around. Also, note that the aimed waves of butterflies come in two orientations, each mirror images of each other, and they alternate between the two. You'll have to move slightly differently depending on the orientation to get out of the way while still streaming in the same direction, so be mindful of that. For your first 1cc, if you feel trapped, it's always best to play it safe, so don't feel bad if you have to bomb multiple times to get through this. Just remember that after this card comes...

Resurrection Butterfly. All of the difficulty here comes from the red butterfly waves, which you pretty much just have to practice reading until you get a good feel for dodging them. If you're really struggling with that, you can try moving further up the screen and dodging through the waves before they unfold, but it's usually not necessary on Hard or lower. Do be careful not to move too far to the side, or you'll find yourself running into lasers. This is the very last attack in the game, so don't be afraid to bomb every red butterfly wave until you run out of bombs. As you do so, you'll continue to collect cherry, which often means you'll get at least one border during the attack, granting you a free pass on even more waves. If I recall correctly, there are 9 red butterfly waves in all, so if you reach this attack with an extra life and a bomb or two in store, you're in good shape. Just make sure you don't let any bombs go to waste!

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »
If I remember correctly, Yuyuko's opener is easier to deal with if you lead her to the right at the start (except on Lunatic, where left is easier). It can be memorized, so just make sure to practice it.

Lost Soul's Village doesn't really have a trick, but since you're using Sakuya A, it should go down pretty quickly anyway. Just make sure you don't forget which side you have to move toward to dodge the laser fan on each wave.

For the second non-spell, start in a corner and slowly stream across the screen, only moving to dodge the bubbles. Sakuya A should end the attack with plenty of time to spare.

Deadly Dance is pretty tricky; it's another streaming attack, but you have to plan when you want to turn around carefully or you'll get trapped. The rings of butterfly bullets look worse than they really are; your main focus should be on the bubbles. Sometimes, the bubbles in a volley are spaced out enough that you can dash between them if you're unfocused, but for your first 1cc, it's probably not worth it. Don't hesitate to bomb if you feel trapped.

The third non-spell is probably Yuyuko's hardest, but once again, Sakuya A makes it quite a bit easier. Stay in the center at the start and then make your way over to a corner when the daggers start closing in on you. You can stay in the corner for quite a while before the daggers start to threaten you again, and Sakuya A will be dealing damage to Yuyuko the whole time, so this shouldn't be too bad.

Flowery Soul is all about planning out a route and repeating it. I prefer to start in the middle, then move up and to the side, and from there, keep going down to the middle and back up on the other side. The blue bullets form safe lanes in places, so make sure to take advantage of them. As long as you don't panic, it should be doable.

The fourth and final non-spell is by far the easiest. Use slight movements to dodge the aimed arrows, keep an eye on the green butterflies, and don't fall asleep.

Repository of Hirokawa is probably Yuyuko's easiest spell card, and Sakuya A only makes it easier. Stay at the side when she fires the butterfly net, then slowly stream to the middle as she fires the aimed butterflies. After she fires the fourth volley of aimed butterflies, make a break for the opposite side of the screen (don't be afraid to unfocus to dash) and repeat from the other side. Other shot types have to work to stay under Yuyuko more during the streaming portion in order to capture the card (as opposed to timing it out), but with Sakuya A, you can ignore Yuyuko's position and still get the capture with plenty of time to spare.

Now we get to the really tough stuff. Sumizome Perfect Blossom is another big streaming attack, but it lasts a really long time and you have to watch out for all the falling cherry blossom bullets, which only grow more numerous with time. I prefer to wait in the middle for Yuyuko to fire the first wave of aimed butterflies, then quickly move to the side and start streaming back toward the middle, but no matter what you do, you're going to have to change directions several times before the card ends. Try to wait until right after Yuyuko has fired an aimed wave at you and then quickly move a fair distance to the side so you'll have room to turn around. Also, note that the aimed waves of butterflies come in two orientations, each mirror images of each other, and they alternate between the two. You'll have to move slightly differently depending on the orientation to get out of the way while still streaming in the same direction, so be mindful of that. For your first 1cc, if you feel trapped, it's always best to play it safe, so don't feel bad if you have to bomb multiple times to get through this. Just remember that after this card comes...

Resurrection Butterfly. All of the difficulty here comes from the red butterfly waves, which you pretty much just have to practice reading until you get a good feel for dodging them. If you're really struggling with that, you can try moving further up the screen and dodging through the waves before they unfold, but it's usually not necessary on Hard or lower. Do be careful not to move too far to the side, or you'll find yourself running into lasers. This is the very last attack in the game, so don't be afraid to bomb every red butterfly wave until you run out of bombs. As you do so, you'll continue to collect cherry, which often means you'll get at least one border during the attack, granting you a free pass on even more waves. If I recall correctly, there are 9 red butterfly waves in all, so if you reach this attack with an extra life and a bomb or two in store, you're in good shape. Just make sure you don't let any bombs go to waste!

Wow, thank you very much! You helped a lot.

« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
I've been practicing for a Lunatic 1cc of SA lately. I'm learning, bit by bit, but I still have a couple questions:

First, could someone please explain to me how the Terrifying Hypnotism strategy in this video works? The spell has been giving me a lot of trouble, so I'd appreciate knowing any alternate strategies.

And second, how do I capture Blazing Wheel (Orin's Stage 6 midboss spell) using Reimu C? It seems like if I don't bomb, the timer always runs out slightly before Orin's health does, even if I'm at full power. By the time I get there in a full run, I'm inevitably hurting for resources, so having to choose between sacrificing power before the crows section or missing out on the life piece (assuming I don't mess up) isn't exactly ideal.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
And second, how do I capture Blazing Wheel (Orin's Stage 6 midboss spell) using Reimu C? It seems like if I don't bomb, the timer always runs out slightly before Orin's health does, even if I'm at full power. By the time I get there in a full run, I'm inevitably hurting for resources, so having to choose between sacrificing power before the crows section or missing out on the life piece (assuming I don't mess up) isn't exactly ideal.

I think I asked this a long time ago and I think the answer is paraphrased as "It's just as you see it." Unfocused you cannot keep your options aimed upward, an annoyance I am very familiar with since I use Reimu C. Your choices are basically risk it no bomb to see if it clears in the last few seconds or bomb it for the life shard guaranteed.

As for terrifying hypnotism in that video, the player is basically streaming across in a lane, else you would be having to move left and right very fast as the bullets come.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:51:58 PM by Mesarthim »

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)