Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest 2 - Dead Simple! (RESULTS!)  (Read 65301 times)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
Re: Danmakufu Contest 2 - Dead Simple!
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
So, my last card isn't coming together, and I have two papers due on Monday, so I'm not really gonna be able to work on it tomorrow. I might as well submit what I have...

Difficulty is balanced for my playing skill, so hardish-normal. Ignore the blatantly stolen graphics/music, plz?

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »
Bah, don't have much time for this, so have a slapped together entry

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mnmtjwnqqj

:V

Spoiler:
IhopeIdon'tgetdisqualifiedforthis
[/size]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:47:37 PM by Suikama »

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
YAY~ its Sunday! crap its Sunday... Here is my entry~! sorry if the sound effects are a little annoying, I made them myself:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wdygoz2mj3

this time I tested the link and it works!

Credit to Always お⑨烏 for the Boss Sprite!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:58:01 PM by Demonbman »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2009, 12:30:57 AM »
YAY~ its Sunday! crap its Sunday... Here is my entry~! sorry if the sound effects are a little annoying, I made them myself:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wdygoz2mj3

this time I tested the link and it works!

Credit to Always お⑨烏 for the Boss Sprite!
Oh, so this is what the sprite set and cut-in got into, mm?

Spoiler:
IhopeIdon'tgetdisqualifiedforthis
[/size]
Ah, don't worry, you're probably good enough not to ever be. (What am I saying I can't even understand myself.)

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »
Oh, so this is what the sprite set and cut-in got into, mm?
Ah, don't worry, you're probably good enough not to ever be. (What am I saying I can't even understand myself.)

Not entirely, i have another project with..him...which im working on. I just used him in the contest cause i needed a boss ;)

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
Not entirely, i have another project with..him...which im working on. I just used him in the contest cause i needed a boss ;)
Mmm, we should name this character.

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Finished.

Drawing a background manually proved to be a bit difficult, so I just went with an image. I also think that the difficulty might be too easy for some of you, but I had to make danmaku I could actually succeed at.  :V

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:02 AM »
Drawing a background manually proved to be a bit difficult, so I just went with an image. I also think that the difficulty might be too easy for some of you, but I had to make danmaku I could actually succeed at.  :V

This cannot be any easier then mine...I'm sure...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2009, 02:45:29 AM »
This cannot be any easier then mine...I'm sure...
Or mine :V :V :V

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:34 AM »
@Demonbman
Eeeeeeh?? You left some sprites unused... ??

Edit: Ok, I get it now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:10:31 AM by Always お⑨烏 »

« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:21 AM »
[01:24]   <Naut>   In before Drake posts at the very last second because he is a gigantic faggot

Drake

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2009, 05:00:02 AM »
And here we are.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmywzioyoud

Yup. Two seconds late.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2009, 05:00:22 AM »
? Reply #101 on: Today at 02:00:02 am ?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2009, 05:03:55 AM »
Yup. Two seconds late.

DEADLINE: 11/15/09, midnight EST. No exceptions. (That's next Sunday, for those of you that don't feel like checking your calendars.)

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

DISQUALIFIED.

Gonna start judging now.

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2009, 05:08:26 AM »
And here we are.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmywzioyoud

Yup. Two seconds late.
Wow you basically stole from everyone in this script :V

Stuffman, dixq, me...

DISQUALIFIED.

Gonna start judging now.
:V

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2009, 05:32:03 AM »
Oh wait it has Josette in it

Screw the rules, Drake wins, everyone go home

(No not really, should have results tonight. As a side note would everyone please put their names on their scripts from now on all but like three people did but I'm still upset)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:35:46 AM by Stuffman »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:21 AM »
Requesting videos of entries

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 06:16:47 AM »
My computer experiences terrible slowdown on some of these scripts.

Naut, would you mind recording all the entries and putting them together on Youtube? Bonus points if you capture everything. Including Suikama's.

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:42 AM »
Including Suikama's.
Ahahahaha good effing luck man :V

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »
My computer experiences terrible slowdown on some of these scripts.
Like mine? :V

Naut, would you mind recording all the entries and putting them together on Youtube? Bonus points if you capture everything. Including Suikama's.
*writes a custom player script with 200 movement speed to teleport around*
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2009, 07:00:48 AM »
Defeat it with GOD RUMIA.

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »
Defeat it with GOD RUMIA.
Curses! Foiled by my own scripts!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »
Always お⑨烏
Not a proper entry but I'll give my opinion anyway. This is slick, if you had bothered to make two more attacks you probably would've had something good going. I would've put the two Rumias a bit closer together so more of their spawn pattern was visible, but otherwise it looks pretty neat.

VideoGameCrack
Excellent entry, this is exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the contest. Snow Flowers took me a little bit to figure out, but I was able to capture it eventually so it's a good Extra-style card. The effect of Shattered Glass was one of the coolest things I saw in the whole contest. Ghost of the Ancient Danmaku is a kinda easy but long enough for someone to mess up at least once, bezier would've been much more impressive if the code for it didn't already get released earlier, nice nonetheless.

Iryan
Normal version was easy easy stuff, glad you included higher difficulties. The polygon orbit shots on Wind Tunnel were neat, it would've been nice if they rotated closer together and with more density so the effect was more visible. Mirror Universe is a rather straightforward rebound pattern, unfortunately the shots were a bit too sparse and often aimed at funny angles so you didn't get much visual effect out of it; also the bullets didn't bounce off the left wall, I trust this was a bug. Ripples in Reality is what makes this set worth playing IMO, the shot circle distortion was pretty interesting, but unfortunately the pattern didn't seem polished since it doesn't seem to normalize again, only becomes more and more random. However, I must credit you by saying I played this without remembering that you aren't able to playtest your own scripts, so big thumbs up there. I look forward to seeing what you can produce when you can actually, y'know, see your patterns :V

Blargel
Well done script, excellent visuals but a few playability hiccups. Dot Explosion looks super super cool but is extremely unfriendly to non-homing types, there should've been some kind of way to slide past those explosions without going to the corner (if there is one, I didn't catch it). Still, it's beatable no matter the shot type. Sprite of Atlas on the other hand is exceptionally cruel in that the boulder is aimed at you when thrown, rather than produced; I was utterly unable to capture it. Scaling is the most humorous entry and also the most entertaining to play IMO. Suika influence is obvious here.

Kayorei
A WHITE05-focused script on a starfield immediately strikes me as a bit distressing. This is a good script regardless, I enjoyed the simple geometric theme. The first attack is a fine entry, with the outer rings detonating being an interesting way to add complexity to the circle barriers. The alternate attack after the rings also plays nice, though the timing in which the larger rings spawn in sequence looked a little awkward to me. The second attack, the triangles, changes things up a bit by making you move more vertically. They feel a bit like polygon brofists. :V The final attack gave me trouble at first, as it made me think there was some gimmick to dodging it at first, but I was able to capture it once I started relying on instinct. It's a bit unintuitive but once you figure it out it's a fine end to the script.

Nimble
Okay, this changes things up a bit, seems like you're actually trying to kill the player. :D I'm afraid I don't recognize the enemy, so if there's a reference here, I've missed it...anyway the first attack seems reasonable, you have to do a bit of switchback if you're not a homing type, decent challenge. Circular Shot...well even if it's effective at killing me I'm afraid I can't give many points since it's something we've seen many times. Capturing Laser is just pretty much broken. I had to turn on invincibility to even figure out how you were supposed to dodge it, and even then I wasn't able to do it with any sort of consistency. Sorry bro, needs more playability.

Nuclear Cheese
Cheese's entry is a bit different in that it's more like a set of minigames. Gravity is impressive programming-wise, but directing shots is so cumbersome that it took a while for me to finish it. The stick figures in Friends are cute but Blargel did it better, and the hangtime between attacks makes this drag on a bit. Collection is more of a proper challenge, though I think it could've done with more variety in enemy shots or manners in which the player must collect the orbs. Overall, this is an interesting tech demo but not very fun!

UltimaRepman
Shot circles. Yep. Sorry, gotta do something a bit more interesting here. Well, I suppose the second attack is a bit interesting with the rings travelling at different speeds, makes it looks like the bullets are moving in pairs somehow. The presentation wasn't bad, I'm glad you included graphics and music, but I'm afraid it doesn't net you any points in this contest.

kyle_090594
Neat snowflakes. The middle dot is a bit off center though! (But really, who cares...) First attack is simple and effective. The snowblower on Artificial Snow seems like a cheap shot and a big downside to the script, you both need to know it's coming and know exactly what to do about it. The main part of the attack is alright though. Playing with Tiny Snow is a good straighforward spell, though it would've been nice to have some of those snowflakes in to pretty it up.

Thaws
Okay yeah this made me smile. In The Kitchen is a fun concept and also fairly challenging. Windy Day is a neat variation in effect but the gusts themselves are pretty unfair, it's pretty hard to react in time to not have them spawn on you...Out In Space on the other hand is a great finish, offering several things to dodge from multiple angles while still remaining very playable. Nice work!

ChaoStar
This is pretty okay, even if it's just shot circles. Needs more content to be in the running. Try some more stuff next time.

Blue Wolf
Am I fighting the FF6 save point? First attack is decent, no gimmicks, but nothing really special. Stealth Modo is...interesting. I can't decide if it's fair or not. I want to say it is, since I seem to have figured out a fairly reliable method to pass it. I think the shots start going stealth a bit too far from the player, making it impractical to always track them all; points for originality, regardless.

Suikama
DISQUALIFIED

Demonbman
Augh fuck this background, the high contrast makes it hard to track the bullets...maybe I should give points for that since that's PC-98-esque. :V The first attack is really difficult, it's hard to track the fast bullets coming at you from above when you're trying to get through the narrow openings in the spiral. The second attack is just mean when it comes from all four sides, and since it's just random spam I can't give you any points here. Third attack is AUUUUGH. The first spiral salvo is literally impossible to escape for some characters. You had something going with the missile streamers, but you can't put bullets that suddenly home in on you and look identical to the other ones in when the attack is already fairly dense. It looks like you're doing fine on the coding aspect of Danmakufu, but you need to work on the playability of your scripts. Did you playtest it thoroughly? Were you able to beat it yourself?

rdj522
Even if it is random spam I must say I appreciated Light Snow. Making jokes about dodging snow like it's danmaku is one thing, actually doing it is another. I had fun with that. Spiral Flurry is a good variation on a typical double spiral, with the way it gathers before dispersing. The curve as they fall towards the player feels unpredictable though, and it killed me once since I was expecting them to travel straight, I wish the curve was telegraphed a bit before so they wouldn't turn on top of me. Snowball Fight is alright, but more could've been done with the concept, like snowballs impacting the walls and such. As it stands it plays like a fairly simple shotgun card. Decent presentation overall.

Drake
I have to say I appreciate all the effort that went into this. Is Stalker Karakasa beatable? I don't get how it works exactly, I thought I noticed you being able to control its movement somehow though. NAUT, figure it out for me. Easy War was more practical, so I was able to take it easy. An Old Man Who Appreciates the Fine Arts is a good Extra-style card, being a little difficult to figure out at first but being very playable after you do. Great piece of work you've put together here. Too bad you're still disqualified :V (but ilu for making a Josette script)

STUFFMAN'S PICKS

1ST PLACE: VideoGameCrack - best straight-up danmaku.
2ND PLACE: Blargel - most visually impressive danmaku using pure WHITE05.
3RD PLACE: Kayorei - second most playable script that also includes unique patterns.
HONORABLE MENTION: I wanted to give third place to Thaws but I couldn't forgive the gust cheap shots.

Congratulations to our winners!

I've got a few ideas for the next contest in mind, but I'll keep them to myself for now. Expect the next contest sometime in December.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »
I wanted to give third place to Thaws but I couldn't forgive the gust cheap shots.
;-; I couldn't figure out a better way to present the gust. The spell seemed plain with just the salt so I had to add them in.
It's still nice that I got a honorable mention. :P Thanks for the judging.

Congratulations to the winners!

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
Blargel
Well done script, excellent visuals but a few playability hiccups. Dot Explosion looks super super cool but is extremely unfriendly to non-homing types, there should've been some kind of way to slide past those explosions without going to the corner (if there is one, I didn't catch it). Still, it's beatable no matter the shot type. Sprite of Atlas on the other hand is exceptionally cruel in that the boulder is aimed at you when thrown, rather than produced; I was utterly unable to capture it. Scaling is the most humorous entry and also the most entertaining to play IMO. Suika influence is obvious here.

Dot Explosion was supposed to be a rotation card. One rotation and you should've been able to defeat it unless the player you chose was abnormally weak. Guess I shouldn't have left the corners safe...
I can beat Sprite of Atlas consistently. D:  The difficulty was even more ungodly hard during the balancing phase.
I'm glad you like Scaling though. That was the one that I spent the most time on (for obvious reasons). Too bad it's relatively easy compared to the rest of my attacks.

Well that was fun scripting for this. I'm glad I placed, anyway. :D
Time to check out everyone else's entries that I haven't seen yet.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
Re: Danmakufu Contest 2 - Dead Simple! (RESULTS!)
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:10 AM »
Congratulation to the winners!

Addition information about Army Eye here.

Next time I'll trap you in third spell with WHITE05 ring instead :V

PS : I did change in first and third pattern to this later, may be better. But not for submit contest :yukkuri:

KomeijiKoishi

Re: Danmakufu Contest 2 - Dead Simple! (RESULTS!)
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
VideoGameCrack
Excellent entry, this is exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the contest. Snow Flowers took me a little bit to figure out, but I was able to capture it eventually so it's a good Extra-style card. The effect of Shattered Glass was one of the coolest things I saw in the whole contest. Ghost of the Ancient Danmaku is a kinda easy but long enough for someone to mess up at least once, bezier would've been much more impressive if the code for it didn't already get released earlier, nice nonetheless.

1ST PLACE: VideoGameCrack - best straight-up danmaku.

WHA-

Okay, that´s really a surprise.

Like to type more, but I have to write this on my DSi because my PC needs to be repaired.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:18:27 PM by VideoGameCrack »

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
UltimaRepman
Shot circles. Yep. Sorry, gotta do something a bit more interesting here. Well, I suppose the second attack is a bit interesting with the rings travelling at different speeds, makes it looks like the bullets are moving in pairs somehow. The presentation wasn't bad, I'm glad you included graphics and music, but I'm afraid it doesn't net you any points in this contest.

The second spell seemed to look the most visually impressive to me too I guess...funny thing is I though this would look a lot worse to others so okay news there...need to learn more stuff come the next contest...oh, & glad I participated & congrats to all 3 winners...& honerable mention...it was fun...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »
kyle_090594
Neat snowflakes. The middle dot is a bit off center though! (But really, who cares...) First attack is simple and effective. The snowblower on Artificial Snow seems like a cheap shot and a big downside to the script, you both need to know it's coming and know exactly what to do about it. The main part of the attack is alright though. Playing with Tiny Snow is a good straighforward spell, though it would've been nice to have some of those snowflakes in to pretty it up.

should've thought that was gonna be considered as a cheap shot... I just wanted to think up of a way to make the person think of ways to avoid that... there's actually 2 ways to beat it... first is to go left or right a bit, then when it starts, speed up to the other side (but only a bit) then slowly focus move to the end... it'll end a while before reaching the end if you do it slowly enough... the other way (the cheap way) is to just move above the boss  :V... I thought of placing snowflakes at the last card, but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate it anymore...

Anyway... congrats to the winners!!! (and honorable mention)
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Nonnie Grey

• Contradictory Statement
  • The Anonymity formerly known as Kayorei
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:23 AM »
Kayorei
A WHITE05-focused script on a starfield immediately strikes me as a bit distressing. This is a good script regardless, I enjoyed the simple geometric theme. The first attack is a fine entry, with the outer rings detonating being an interesting way to add complexity to the circle barriers. The alternate attack after the rings also plays nice, though the timing in which the larger rings spawn in sequence looked a little awkward to me. The second attack, the triangles, changes things up a bit by making you move more vertically. They feel a bit like polygon brofists. :V The final attack gave me trouble at first, as it made me think there was some gimmick to dodging it at first, but I was able to capture it once I started relying on instinct. It's a bit unintuitive but once you figure it out it's a fine end to the script.

You know... the flawed logic behind the starfield background in this challenge never really hit me until you brought it up. At least I didn't make the stars white, I guess.

The third attack was my chief concern. While I found it workable with a little practice, it was still a bit on the WTF side. Good to know it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was.

Still, third place? Wow... much better than I anticipated, that's for sure. ^_^* This was definitely interesting.

... Polygon brofists... heh.