Author Topic: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom  (Read 74845 times)

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
Re: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »
Speaking of the were-hakutaku, I want to see more of the intelligent and strong Keine. Not the Mokou-obsessed caving freak that the fandom sometimes turn her into. And what is with everyone being convinced that she's a bovine? Apart from the horns, she looks nothing like a cow. It's basically Fan Dumb and it drives me nuts.

Indeed, I hate it when they distort Keine so.

And the cow thing I find hilarious.  :V
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
Full agreement on the first part, but as for the second...

Okay, I stand corrected, but I still find the joke annoying. It downgrades a very respectable character.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
Also standing on agreement with the Keine depiction. While we're on the subject of Keine, let's not forget the depiction of EX-Keine being twisted into a serial CAVE-ist of all things (although they might have eased up on that over the years).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:43:22 AM by Fattybus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
CAVE-ist

YOUKAI! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?

By the way, where the heck did the whole caving gag come from? It just seemed to pop up out of  nowhere.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
YOUKAI! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?

By the way, where the heck did the whole caving gag come from? It just seemed to pop up out of  nowhere.

Blame 2chan and google translate.  :V

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
I'd like to see more of this supposed "Bubbly Sakuya" that she's supposed to be when not around her mistress.

« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
Okay, I stand corrected, but I still find the joke annoying. It downgrades a very respectable character.

Humor, like a particularly annoying news reporter, doesn't care about how respectable someone is or how classy they are. Instead, it only sees what traits it can taunt or expand for its own purposes.

In other words, dude, don't take it so seriously. It's a joke about a fictional character, and certainly not the worst one out there. :V

I'd like to see more of this supposed "Bubbly Sakuya" that she's supposed to be when not around her mistress.

Wait, what? When is she bubbly when she's not around Remilia?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
Humor, like a particularly annoying news reporter, doesn't care about how respectable someone is or how classy they are. Instead, it only sees what traits it can taunt or expand for its own purposes.

In other words, dude, don't take it so seriously. It's a joke about a fictional character, and certainly not the worst one out there. :V

I know, but they do tend to get quite obnoxious. It's like hearing the same joke over and over and over and over again. The flavor of the humor fades away like chewed bubble gum.

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
Wait, what? When is she bubbly when she's not around Remilia?

I thought I read it in one of the profiles on the Touhou wiki, but it turns out I was mistaken.

While she can be surprisingly careless at times, bubbliness is not mentioned.

A bubbly Sakuya would be pretty awesome, though.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
I thought I read it in one of the profiles on the Touhou wiki, but it turns out I was mistaken.

While she can be surprisingly careless at times, bubbliness is not mentioned.

A bubbly Sakuya would be pretty awesome, though.

It would add a moe factor to Sakuya.  :3

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Also, remember the Sisters fought them in a Spellcard Duel, of COURSE Reimu couldn't win. And
Spoiler:
Yuyuko and Youmu spend a month dicking around in the Lunarian Capital without anyone noticing.

we need more cho-marisa

RE: Keine - Am I the only one who thinks Hakutaku look like the things at the end of the Ghostbusters when ZUUL comes around? Also, fandom leaves her "strong teacher sort" intact, even in grimderp works.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »
It's been brought up before, but I will mention it again-- Chen actually doing what is expected of a nekomata. True, PCB says that her powers are somewhat limited, but the standard set of nekomata abilities does include things like throwing around ghostly fireballs and stealing the fresh corpses of dead people to dance with them like puppets on strings and leaping over them to create zombies.

Not all of this has to be used, of course, but it's still quite the contradiction to her fanon CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN diabeetus-inducing persona. iirc, a CYOA on TH-P once had Chen as the main antagonist, and it was quite a nice change from the usual.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
I don't mind the HNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH from KCY-Chen (I suffer from teeny-tiny voice syndrome?!), but yeah, I'm honestly surprised fandom didn't turn her into the next Tewi. (A few fanworks have her collaborating with Orin to troll people, though.)

Canon Shikeiki means well, even if types like her I tend to ignore in real life. Yes, I know, gag manga ruining her depictions, but still. It's gotten to the point where I've run into a few people who honestly think she's a douche who sends people to Hell for arbitrary reasons.

(Also, her being shorter than Komachi and the jokes about it need to DIAF)
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
Canon Shikeiki means well, even if types like her I tend to ignore in real life. Yes, I know, gag manga ruining her depictions, but still. It's gotten to the point where I've run into a few people who honestly think she's a douche who sends people to Hell for arbitrary reasons.

(Also, her being shorter than Komachi and the jokes about it need to DIAF)

Pretty much what I said.  :V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
PMiSS outright states that she uses her spare time, which could be used to rest up and relax (lord knows she needs to blow off some steam, being a Yama sounds incredibly stressful to begin with), to go out into the world of the living and practically beg them to change their ways so that she won't have to send them to Hell when they die. She goes to the extreme (for her) of exaggerating their bad deeds to get them to change-- given how moralistic she is, she must really really REALLY not want to send them to Hell. And Marisa's scenario in PoFV has her saying "Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place. I am here so that everybody realizes that."

That said, I imagine that if Shiki ever learned to lighten up, she might offhandedly "sentence" someone living to preemptive Hell just to scare them into doing the right thing. :P

As for things like height/bust size jealousy/etc, I don't see how they would apply to her, really. She's waaaaaaaaaaaay too focused on saving people from themselves to give much thought to it. Caring about physical appearance seems like something she would not only ignore, but actively disdain, since it takes time away from the more important things she deals with every day, and for being an impermanent, trivial matter.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
It doesn't even have any basis in canon, the ending screen shows she's taller than Komachi (granted, Komachi's leaning on her, but whatever). Granted, I think some people wreck her interpretation because of some weird moralistic difference in Eastern/Western values (overthinking, dohoho. People do something similar to Byakuren, painting her as a Darwinist Nazi because the Japanese frown on making the strong and weak equal. Someone told me she didn't like Shikieiki because she makes the punishment disproportionate, but I need to tell her that's not canon.)

Anyway.

Am I the only one who doesn't see Letty as much of a mother figure? BAIJR made her sound like some sort of slacker...

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't see Letty as much of a mother figure? BAIJR made her sound like some sort of slacker...

I like slacker Letty.

Speaking of, I see Letty and Cirno's relationship not as that of mother and daughter, sisters, or lovers. I see it more like a comically abusive sensei who just want her idiot student to learn fast. Or something like that.  :V

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
I see them more as "Dumb Idiot and the poor bitch who has to deal with her shit".

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
As far as I can tell from canon, Letty is just there and Cirno is just there and they don't interact all that much.  Except for Letty wondering why people think they do.

Also about Yamaxanadu's height, it might not be that she's short but that Komachi is just that tall.  I see her, Kanako, and Yuugi as the tallest in Gensokyo.

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »
Re: the Watatsuki sisters
Am I the only one not really bothered about their extreme power? Moon civilization is shown time and time again as superior to the main Earth civilization (the one with assault rifles and nukes). They're ancient beyond measure, masters of magic AND science, are all functionally immortal (except they still die from wounds, etc). As strong as Reimu, Marisa and Remilia are, I think they can't avoid but to look like amateurs near the handful of serious lunarians.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2011, 06:55:46 PM »
I see them more as "Dumb Idiot and the poor bitch who has to deal with her shit".

That's a cold (no pun intended) and rather harsh way of seeing them.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
Re: the Watatsuki sisters
Am I the only one not really bothered about their extreme power? Moon civilization is shown time and time again as superior to the main Earth civilization (the one with assault rifles and nukes). They're ancient beyond measure, masters of magic AND science, are all functionally immortal (except they still die from wounds, etc). As strong as Reimu, Marisa and Remilia are, I think they can't avoid but to look like amateurs near the handful of serious lunarians.

Not to mention PMISS states they had a Lunar Expo. They had stuff like miniguns that could be fired with one hand and miniature nukes. And this is outdated tech.

@Savory - More in the comedy gag sense. You know, "Straight Woman" being Letty and all.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
@Savory - More in the comedy gag sense. You know, "Straight Woman" being Letty and all.

The fandom puts them in a more favorable relationship if not a close one.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
I know. I don't mind the Letty-being-a-parent depiction, but BAIJR's permanently corrupted my image of her.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:45 PM »
I know. I don't mind the Letty-being-a-parent depiction, but BAIJR's permanently corrupted my image of her.

Contrary to prior belief, Letty isn't showing her hate for Cirno. She was merely comparing the powers of her and Cirno, then states her pride as a youkai that manipulates the cold.

Youkai of Tea

• Faith and Tea.
  • And TeaFairies.
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2011, 01:25:47 AM »
Yuyuko and the hunger jokes. Her hunger may be canon, but these jokes make her seem dumb and simple.
What about all the other stuff in IN beside her hunger? What about the fact that she figured out the situation in IN by herself as well her journey in SSiB?
Yukari gets to be the mastermind who knows everything while Yuyuko never gets the chance. :(

Also Koishi. She isn't insane or severely mentally retarded just because she has an ability that deals with the subconsciousness.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2011, 01:40:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm tired of the Psycho Koishi stuff.

Yuyuko also figures out Ten Desires, iirc.

@Savory - No, I wasn't meaning to say Letty hates her. She's just like "don't compare me to Cirno".

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2011, 02:12:30 AM »
Yeah, Koishi isn't nuts.  Or a giant bag of angst, for that matter.  As far as I can tell, she just...um, how do I say it...doesn't think as much anymore.  She's carefree, curious, and acts on pure impulse.  Also, Koishi has her own pets, but we never hear about that!  Instead it's always crazy cat lady Satori...
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2011, 03:17:28 AM »
Really? The common fanon depiction of Satori is depressed, a snarker, some sort of bizarre pervert, or all three.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2011, 03:28:11 AM »
I've always seen satori as a lonely snarker, there's something about her expression when she says her famous line that just screams snarker.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure