Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 129044 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!
« Reply #840 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »
Oh look scoring with TD Reimu again. :V I'm still debating how much I really want to do this.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #841 on: March 07, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
Here you are

Guys! How the heck can you break 1 bln on normal? ??? I mean i saw replays and do a lot of stuff like there but still cant get even 900 mln :( Here's my current best attempt at scoring with Reimu. Can anyone point me what am i doing wrong? I see like all score players do their best to enter stage 5 with full trance. Is is critical?

Main steps:

1. Shotgun bosses
2. Bomb bosses
3. Trance bosses

:V

No, it's not critical to enter stage 5 with full trance. That may just be the current optimised route. You can attain 1,000,000,000 without that. Just plan your bombs/trances/deaths to optimise spirit intake. Also, look at what the players are doing throughout stages and see what kind of increase a certain trance/bomb in a certain place with give.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Zil

« Reply #842 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »
No, you don't.
I'm thinking that if I have a bunch of tricks from scoring they will help me get a 90fps 1cc, since I hear a score run in TD is a bomb-everything run anyway.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #843 on: March 08, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »
Main steps:

1. Shotgun bosses
2. Bomb bosses
3. Trance bosses
That's what i'm doing all the way. But not only the bosses matter. Places like fairies after Kogasa or stage 5 start give you a lot of spirits. That's why it's good to use trance there to raise your point item value.
Also there are attacks like Yoshika 1st and 3rd spells wich dont give you spirits from a boss, or Seiga/Yoshika nonspells where you can fire Yoshika for more spirits, or critical places like Futo boat giving you spirits at double rate and so on..
I'm thinking that if I have a bunch of tricks from scoring they will help me get a 90fps 1cc, since I hear a score run in TD is a bomb-everything run anyway.
More like trance as much as possible. And bomb to get more spirits for trance.

Edit: Just tried it again and got only 884 mil :(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:03:40 AM by MMX »
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #844 on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
That's what i'm doing all the way. But not only the bosses matter. Places like fairies after Kogasa or stage 5 start give you a lot of spirits. That's why it's good to use trance there to raise your point item value.
Also there are attacks like Yoshika 1st and 3rd spells wich dont give you spirits from a boss, or Seiga/Yoshika nonspells where you can fire Yoshika for more spirits, or critical places like Futo boat giving you spirits at double rate and so on..More like trance as much as possible. And bomb to get more spirits for trance.

Edit: Just tried it again and got only 884 mil :(

Then copy a replay. That'll help. :V

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #845 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Heck yeah! 900m break. Game over at Miko's last spell, but this doesnt matter cause final bonus is insignificant in TD (except of extra). Looks like i'm learning some good routes. Hold on, billion! I'm coming for you :3
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #846 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:51 AM »
You know what's surprising me right now? Trying my hand at scoring in TD actually feels a bit refreshing (joggling the old memory banks, there's no feeling like it :V). I was able to get to Seiga while "roughly" following mithril's path, though I stopped there partly because I was short 2 bomb fragments and partly because I have other things to do right now. I can at least be thankful that Reimu's relative weakness means I actually need to dodge some boss attacks, and of course the scoring system always worked well enough for the stage portions.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #847 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
1.3b with Marisa on Normal was pretty simple with some improvising and Miko bombspamming.  :V Although I feel that I'm using way too many resources on her than I should. Hopefully I can do better with Reimu.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #848 on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
1.3b with Marisa on Normal was pretty simple with some improvising and Miko bombspamming.  :V Although I feel that I'm using way too many resources on her than I should. Hopefully I can do better with Reimu.
Marisa is much better for scoring cause of higher damage and spirit farming rate. Also she doesnt suck spirits on trance like Reimu wich could be used for some fancy trance refilling shenanigans. Reimu is kinda more interesting to use.

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #849 on: March 10, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that using Normal, Lunatic and Extra as the difficulty selection for these adds more or less something for everyone while keeping the amount of categories fairly low (barring unusual special challenges and such). Thoughts?
What about switching it between Normal/Lunatic/Extra and Easy/Hard/Extra every other week? That way it would get some diversity, and every difficulty mode would get a change to be scored at. And easymode players like me could score.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #850 on: March 10, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »
Did i missed something, or why the results of MoTK 24 weren't published in the thread? ???

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #851 on: March 10, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
It's because I'm slow and lazy. Don't worry, they'll get done. :V
Let's fight.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #852 on: March 11, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Good job on 1.3b Apathy!

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #853 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
Good job on 1.3b Apathy!
+1
Looks like my route for stage 1 is good ;)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #854 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
If my last run is any indication, where I went into TD Lunatic mostly cold and performed everything up to Seiga perfectly, I might be getting more consistent at scoring this game. There's also this one idea I got for her last card in case I can't get a Trance up. Obviously it won't be optimal, but it can at least keep the run going.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #855 on: March 11, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
Zero motivation to do a better run right now. May have another go towards the end of the tourny.

Zil

« Reply #856 on: March 12, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
I realize I Have No Name kind of brought this up a while ago, but I want to throw in my opinion on it. I feel like for survival challenges it would make more sense to rank the the people who actually 1cc the game by remaining resources at the end, kind of like the TD special challenge from whenever ago. As it is it really seems to just boil down to a scoring challenge rather than survival, which I feel takes the fun out of it for those who were just playing for survival. Naturally I'm not saying change the rules midway for this one, but I think future challenges would make more sense that way, at least if it's going to be called a "survival challenge."

On a related note, I'm a little sad that nobody else is doing SA Lunatic. I expected there to be some competition going on there.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #857 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »
On a related note, I'm a little sad that nobody else is doing SA Lunatic. I expected there to be some competition going on there.
I don't play at 90 fps. :V

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #858 on: March 13, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
Almost able to 1cc Extra! Wont be able to compare to T's score though. Able to get to the second to last spell card at the moment. Will see what I can do before the tournament ends.

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #859 on: March 14, 2012, 03:52:42 AM »
When will I ever be able to get spirits during Nue's first card?

oh right never

then why am i always trying to do that then die in the first 5 seconds

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
Hopefully get my Extra score up to 250-300m by Monday!

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #861 on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
Aww, Funen! That one death with 3 bombs before Miko cost you 2 bil, i suppose. Damn, even in Ten Desires with it's dumb scoring system getting a good score-run is always a matter of flawless performance.

Meanwhile, did i missed something, or does anyone trying 90 fps SA extra?

Zil

« Reply #862 on: March 17, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »
I tried it, and got to Embers of Love. Maybe I should go for a clear, though ReimuB is hardly my preferred character, and noone else is trying to beat me anyway .

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #863 on: March 19, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »
Ahaha! And then came papa T and kicked our butts like he should :toot:

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #864 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »
Those scores are from Heartbeam. T posted them for him because he's too autistic to do it himself I guess.
I'll attempt to top that normal score but 90fps is hard booooooo

Zil

« Reply #865 on: March 19, 2012, 03:00:23 AM »
Why so late? :(

I might have been able to beat that Extra score if I had more time.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #866 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »
Just watched Heartbeam's extra replay. Holy flying dicks of netherworld! :o He's playing 90 fps like it's native speed, making all regular 60 fps players feel like slowdown cheaters :D

« Reply #867 on: March 19, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
True thing man. I just watched T's 750 mil run and it was fucking amazing. I mean, I caught myself looking down at the FPS-counter several times thinking 'This was done at 90FPS right?'

It just seems so unrealistic to be able to move with that much precision in 90FPS game speed. Do you guys just turn off your muscle memory or something? Regardless, really impressive run.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #868 on: April 02, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
I heard a mention of speedrunning the Touhou games in one thread by Supermassive Catfish. We should do a challenge like that :V

I'd imagine MoF or SA could be cut down to <20 minutes or so. Eh?

Zil

« Reply #869 on: April 02, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
I'm thinking there is a definate minimum for the Special challange. You have to pacify everything, though I guess a suicide to PWG is called for. It will be silly if the bullets cancelled in PWG alone determine who wins on Normal, assuming multiple people manage a perfect pacifist run. :derp: