Author Topic: Touhou 12.8 - 妖精大戦争 ~ 東方三月精 ~ The Great Fairy Wars. F-ff-freezing a-a-article  (Read 125529 times)

........... ???

To be fair,
Spoiler:
Marisa
was just going easy on Cirno 8(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:39:39 AM by Shinjiruro Taiga »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Just gonna make a note to everyone to spoiler the Extra Boss please. I know people want to find out on their own who that is.  :ohdear:

I already spoiled myself and watched the videos posted.  :V I have to say the Extra Boss theme is suitably dark and epic compared to the rest of the soundtrack. Both the stage and boss theme are excellent and I love them.

Also, dear god that looks tough. SO MANY BULLETS.

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
You can use the Ctrl key to auto fire aswell

Wut. I thought already that my trigger finger is going to die again like it did in PoFV, this really saves my ass.

Holy shit, ZUN must've replaced Normal with SUPER AWESOME DYNAMITE PLATINUM MODO, I just can't seem to get to stage 3 in any scenario without continues.

Does actually a border of death exist in TH12.8 while bombing? I liked this feature in the previous games, but haven't really encountered it yet (but whatevr I suck at deathbombing anyways)

Also OMG is Sunny adorable

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

ebarrett

The deathbomb window in 12.8 is really, really, really long, to be honest. Only shorter than IN Border Team, I think.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
You can still deathbomb, though it's hard to think about bombing with Perfect Freeze especially if you're like "one more frame before I use Ice Bar- derp"

Conversely, stage 3 here is akin to the stage 5 UFO orb spam, in terms of both relative location, color of big fairies, and difficulty.

Formless God

Cleared Normal and I felt like I've just 1cc'd UFO Hard.
inb4 UFO hataters gonna hatate this.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Just gonna make a note to everyone to spoiler the Extra Boss please. I know people want to find out on their own who that is.  :ohdear:

I've been spoiler tagging all the mentions of the extra boss' name thus far for this reason. o>

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I don't really get all the hate on having to tap the shot key. Yes, it's not my favorite thing to do, but the shot fires by itself fairly well so you can tap leisurely (Unlike, say, SoEW ;P), and most of the time you'll be charging your barrier anyway x3 I think it's pretty tame.

<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Cleared Normal and I felt like I've just 1cc'd UFO Hard.
inb4 UFO hataters gonna hatate this.
It's a learning curve like PoFV's.  Once you realise how much the game expects - and rewards - you for spamming your freeze, you become far less likely to hold off on it and seem to do much better.

After all, freezing more stuff = get more power, bombs, and lives, and save yourself from death (generally).  Plus it can shave off a big chunk of a boss' health if a tonne of their bullets shatter on them.

Though with that said there's a couple cases where I don't think freezing is worth it - hell there's one or two spellcards I think I find easier without trying to freeze stuff.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Though with that said there's a couple cases where I don't think freezing is worth it - hell there's one or two spellcards I think I find easier without trying to freeze stuff.
There are a few specific spellcards where it's p.much impossible to get any kind of coverage with freezing, yeah.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Plus if they use lasers on an otherwise easy but dense attack, say goodbye to a life.

On the other hand, free gold medal?

A bug! D:

I was watching some of my 1CC runs, and I noticed that when you press ESC for the menu, there seems to be a hidden option under "Replay and Try Again" that actually replays the run, where the "Replay and Try Again" option on the menu that's displayed actually opens the manual.

Am I the only one this occurs with?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Tapping shot key (Z) for me is nothing new as I have been used to it since Uwabami Breakers. I don't get why people whine about this because PoFV had the similar system.

I'm used to tapping shot because I mostly play arcade shmups these days. Actually, I prefer tapping shot, as I feel that it gives me greater control over my fire and movement. Although I went through a phase where I strongly preferred the shift-for-focus configuration when I first started playing games outside of Touhou.

Anyway, the thing I enjoy most about this game is that it doesn't feel like a typical Touhou game. It's just more frantic and the bullet patterns don't seem as elegant, but that's exactly what makes this game so refreshing for me. I suppose part of the different feel can also be attributed to the art and boss sprites, as they don't resemble ZUN's style at all, in my opinion.

The music actually hasn't really stood out for me. Aside from A Midnight Fairy Dance, Lose Rain, and Magus Night, it's mostly forgettable. Magus Night actually makes me really want ZUN to use plenty of heavy rock elements in the next game's entire sound track.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:19:09 AM by Aisha »

BeyPok?Dig

• Eajy modo player
  • Shou puts both "laser" and "shou" in lasershow.
Has anyone got any gold medals on lunatic yet?
Why so nanoka?
Kaguya vs. Mokou

this games so much better than i expected it was gonna be (i actually had high hopes for it too) and a lot harder im strugling to 1cc all easy routes lol learning when to use freeze to get big chains is a lot of fun but kinda frustrating when you dont charge long enough and forget youve got bombs

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
A bug! D:

I was watching some of my 1CC runs, and I noticed that when you press ESC for the menu, there seems to be a hidden option under "Replay and Try Again" that actually replays the run, where the "Replay and Try Again" option on the menu that's displayed actually opens the manual.

Am I the only one this occurs with?
No, you're not.  I checked this myself, and it's true.

This game is already one of my favourites. Damn hard but I really love the freezing mechanic, and (EX Boss spoiler)
Spoiler:
Marisa's new
theme is awesome.

Playing on normal, 3rd stage of 2A! Wheee~

Oh, it's Luna Child midboss!  She's way easy!~

Her nonspell's are totally piece of cake!  Time for the spelcard...

...What?
OH GOD DAZZLING GOLD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *Gameover*

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Tapping shot key (Z) for me is nothing new as I have been used to it since Uwabami Breakers. I don't get why people whine about this because PoFV had the similar system.

Some people "whine" about this because PoFV had a similar system, and they hated it then, too.

Tapping takes me getting used to. So far, I've tried the following:

1. Pinky on Shift, ring finger on Z, middle finger on X, index on C.
2. Pinky on Ctrl, ring finger on Shift, middle finger on Z, index on X.
3. Ring finger on Shift, index on C, middle finger in charge of Z and X.
4. Ring finger on Shift, middle finger tapping/charging Z, index on X.

Of these, I find 3. to be the more comfortable option, if for no other reason than when I try other combinations, my hand naturally returns to it every time.

But I dunno, maybe I have to train myself to make tapping reflexive before I can say for certain.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

By the way, I'm having problems with replays.

I did all the .bat stuff the wiki said, but this means that everytime I start Fairy Wars, I'll have to open the .bat file instead of the .exe one?

I mean, 'cause I wanna play and save my replays too, but one touhou for my own replays and the other for other people's... that's so weird..

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I haven't bothered using the .bat thingie. I can see my replays just fine from the game, and if on the rare instance I need to navigate to the replays directory, I know where it is.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
Hey, helepolis. Thanks for spoiling the extra boss to us all. Thank you very much. >.>

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
How exactly do you gain extra % for lives?

Lives are all based on points and points ONLY. Keep freezing and increasing your score to gain %, also try and nab the point items. The PoC isn't that high so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them. There are certain cards that are worth milking for extends, too.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

BeyPok?Dig

• Eajy modo player
  • Shou puts both "laser" and "shou" in lasershow.
Someone email ZUN. Give him these ideas. This must be.
If someone is insane enough and actually emails ZUN, don't forget to mention that there should be an "Endings" section in main menu that would work like the music room, except you could rewatch and reread all endings that you have already unlocked (but unlike locked music not those that you haven't unlocked, obviously)
Why so nanoka?
Kaguya vs. Mokou

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
It seems that you don't unlock Extra by clearing Normal

Damn.

neosaver

• Get lost
Oh my, I was disappointed by this game,
Spoiler:
6 routes that are actually the SAME (the bosses are the same except they appear in a different order in each route) so it was boring...even the ennemies, they are just more strong on the last level, but that's all.
Also, I don't know if it is a bug, but after clearing the
Spoiler:
A1 B1 and C1routes, I tried the A2 and I got the ending I got on B1, I tought I made an error when I chose the second route, but no, same ending again, same when I tried B2, but I finally obtained a new ending after clearing C2...and I thought "Man, is it a puzzle game? Do I have to search the correct routes to unlocked the extra?!" So tell me if I'm wrong to say that there is an order to get the extra,
because for me it's stupid.

Yes, lotsa spoilerz here, I'm talking about the game but I don't what is really spoil in it so I spoil everything.

Also, not hard at all, ok I begun with easy, but I tried the normal just after that and it was ok to 1CC, it's not complicated to press the "launch ice" button at the good moment (you have enough lives to survive all the levels if you do it correctly).

The extra is also a joke, it's just like ZUN says "Press focus+W here, because there is a lot of bullets homing at you and it's going to give you lotsa pointz or else you die." Same for the extra boss,
Spoiler:
Marisa
, I thought of something new, or Suwako. %)

Well, that was my ragetime. Still, I expected something different from ZUN, it's the first time he makes so many .number games (I mean 12.3, 12.5, 12.8 ), maybe he learned he got a liver cancer after years of drinking, so now he panics because he knows he is going to die soon and don't know what to invent in order to stay in humans memories???!!!

Spoiler:
Just kidding, hahaha. :V

Damn.

Maybe because ZUN wants you to take it easy?
In construction.

deceptively hard but fun..it feels more like i am playing a older touhou game compared to the newer games this isn't making me want to rage quit.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Hey, helepolis. Thanks for spoiling the extra boss to us all. Thank you very much. >.>

It's an article about the game, you'd expect there to be some spoilers y'know. :| At least he didn't put the portrait up like he did with Touhou 12.

Damn.

No, you unlock Extra by clearing Easy. :toot:

And you have to 1cc every route, if i'm not mistaken.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

The only thing that's missing from this game that kinda annoys me is the boss life count. Unless it's there and I totally missed it.

also the boss theme is SO GROOVY

also also I like the new bomb system. Finally a touhou game that does not allow bomb spamming :V
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:21:59 PM by Professor Suikama »