Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151681 times)

Inactive person

• カナ●アナベラルは俺の嫁 異議は認めない
  • I'm never on :V
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
This.  :V

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2010, 01:38:03 AM »
Sakuya's boss fight from PoFV can go die in a fire. Who the hell programmed that microcosm of pain and frustration? The fact that her boss summon's most annoying wave always syncs with Lily is a huge fuck you, and the knives that force you to change position while micrododging don't help at all. And knife hitboxes are absolutely ridiculous. And her invincibility time at the last half life is far too long. And I can go on and on about how annoying this is seriously fuck you ZUN is this i wanna be the guy or some shit like that asdfgsfdsdasdf

Seriously tempted to 1cc with Reisen, Mystia and Lyrica on Easy to unlock the next characters.Should I y/n

It's enough of a chore to 1cc with a good character like Youmu or Reimu. This game is just not fun sometimes.   :qq:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:39:03 AM by omgrandomnumbers »

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
I forgot to unfocus on Mystia 2nd boss non-spell..(but not in lunatic on hard but...arg)
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »
Sakuya's boss fight from PoFV can go die in a fire. Who the hell programmed that microcosm of pain and frustration?

Oh, right, ZUN. GJ man. Seriously tempted to 1cc with Reisen, Mystia and Lyrica on Easy to unlock the next characters.Should I y/n

It's enough of a chore to 1cc with a good character like Youmu or Reimu. This game is just not fun sometimes.   :qq:

I don't think you even need to 1cc, a simple clear is enough to unlock them (and get good endings).

Sakuya is definitely the most annoying character to fight in that game. Mainly because of accidentally backing into some knives that somehow sneaked behind you.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
I'm so frustrated right now I might slit my wrist. Need help badly...  :colonveeplusalpha:

The game is EoSD. The problem is, I always died at stages. Yes, not bosses, stages.
I can fight bosses no problem, but those nameless fairies always managed to kick my ass one way or another. I can't even reach Cirno normal without dying!

I don't know what to do anymore...  :fail:

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
a good character like Youmu

Youmu's pretty terrible, actually!
Reimu's great though, stick with her. Or use Sakuya so you don't have to fight Sakuya?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
Except Youmu doesn't suck.

I got a Normal 1cc, no damage vs Sakuya.

But this is despair, so I'm obligated to say that fairies running into you from behind is awful.

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
Why must I, when I've actually managed to navigate to safe place on a wave of Greatest Treasure decide that instead of staying still I should randomly flail into a nearby bullet? Over and over again? T.T

....the percentage of times I game over before killing Shou on practice is.... rather shameful at the moment =/  (Of course I'm generally not bombing, either, since the point of practice is to practice, but still)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:59 AM »
Why the hell did I think choosing DS over StB was a good idea? Glowing bullets and reflex-based danmaku everywhere, my God. And I haven't even gotten past Level 8 yet. Never mind the fact that such danmaku were already omnipresent in UFO - I seriously hope this "artificial" difficulty isn't the future of Touhou gameplay.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »
Except Youmu doesn't suck.
She is severely suboptimal, mostly because of her level 1.  Her only way to deal with boss summons is to run up and slash them, and while it clears bullets, it is incredibly easy to run into stuff with her.

Personally, I find Cirno to be the strongest best character in PoFV, mainly because of her freeze ability, and the fact that she fights Yuka instead of Komachi.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 04:23:53 AM »
Why the hell did I think choosing DS over StB was a good idea? Glowing bullets and reflex-based danmaku everywhere, my God. And I haven't even gotten past Level 8 yet. Never mind the fact that such danmaku were already omnipresent in UFO - I seriously hope this "artificial" difficulty isn't the future of Touhou gameplay.

Not being able to pixel-perfectly memorize doesn't make it fake difficulty :/

And yes, Youmu's pretty bad in PoFV, for a multitude of reasons. Her charge takes an entire second per level (by far the slowest in the game), and her scope expands so slowly it's almost useless (compare hers to Reimu's or Shiki's, who have the same scope, but it's instantly full-size rather than after several seconds). Her L2/3/4 attacks aren't that effective either, especially since they're mostly streaming IIRC.

On-topic, First Time Success Syndrome? has set in for me. After an amazing first time trying no-focus MarisaA EoSD Extra, I now find myself continually dying on that goddamn death fairy before Patchy.

Formless God

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2010, 05:09:10 AM »
^ That was meant more toward the additive blending aspect. Although I still think reflex attacks define manic shooters more than bullet hells, hence why I don't like seeing them in Touhou (which bills itself as "bullet hell").

Not being able to pixel-perfectly memorize doesn't make it fake difficulty :/
Since when did I say that? My beef with additive blending is that it potentially interferes with one's ability to even play (although a good deal of such attacks aren't crazy enough for it to be a big problem). Simply being random does not.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:24:14 AM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2010, 05:44:22 AM »
IMO all the complaining about additive bullets is crap. I don't ever recall them being in attacks where they actually make it any harder, and usually just make it look prettier.

But whatever. Moving on.

DS/StB being the way they are allows ZUN to have more freedom with spellcard making. It's okay for him to make ridiculous patterns because it's fine if it takes hundreds of attempts to clear it once. Tons of patterns in these are ones that he'd probably not put in the normal games (for example, the more ManicShooter-suited ones); even without including the ones that basically require camera bullet clears. And DS is a LOT more fun then StB IMO.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:46:07 AM by NeoSerela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2010, 05:56:05 AM »
So yesterday I managed to play DS for the second time since it was released.

I played for hours, and only unlocked stage 7.

I really hate this game. Ugh. This is much harder than StB ever was.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »
I enjoyed DS more than StB, and found it easier.

That might have to do with the fact that I played DS several months later when I was much better. I'm playing StB again though, and I still like DS better.

(And since I am in this thread, asdrfgsdfgfdg Yukari. Closest to perfect I've gotten is a 1 derp death on DDB, and I have no idea how many more attempts it'll take to get a NDNBNBB Yukari run.)

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
Since when did I say that? My beef with additive blending is that it potentially interferes with one's ability to even play (although a good deal of such attacks aren't crazy enough for it to be a big problem). Simply being random does not.

I was mostly referring to how your general response for any problem is "just memorize it!" (that and YAMAME'S OPENER ISN'T HARD YOU FUCKS). When you talk about memorization that much, and then claim that reflex-based danmaku is fake difficulty, what else am I supposed to believe? :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:07:33 PM by SenSageUn »

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
DAMN YOU PRISMRIVER SISTERS

YOU HAVE FORCED ME TO RESORT TO ALL-CAPS TO EXPRESS JUST HOW MUCH I HATE YOU.

...Sorry, but I have lost far too many lives to those freaking curvy lasers.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
I was mostly referring to how your general response for any problem is "just memorize it!" (that and YAMAME'S OPENER ISN'T HARD YOU FUCKS). When you talk about memorization that much, and then claim that reflex-based danmaku is fake difficulty, what else am I supposed to believe? :(
Ahem, I only say "memorize it" when it actually can be, obviously. And again, the "fake difficulty" part was aimed toward the additive blending aspect. To clarify, when I say something is reflex-based, I'm referring to a really fast and at least partly randomized attack (think Eternal Meek or Shou's second nonspell). When you think about it, any attack requires reflexes in general - it's not like we have an entire day to read and prepare for one attack. See my previous post for more on that.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
Why so cruel Yuyuko? I could have broken my SakuyaB score, but you had to bodyslam me as I was grabbing power and make me lose the spellcard bonus for her last not-survival spell.

And the score for having one more life would have pushed me past, too.

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »
You know, I'm just going to give up on SA Extra for now. Maybe when I can 1cc all the games on hard I'll come back to it. 100 ragequits within the first thirty seconds, and only 2 attempts that made it to Koishi. And I don't want to talk about Bumper Crop Rice Shower. I don't want a GreenVirus record on it, thanks.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
only 2 attempts that made it to Koishi
I don't think the stage portion is that bad once you memorize/figure it out, unlike UFO.
Oh, and don't be too scared about Sanae. Even a bad player like me has 3/116 on Bumper Crop Rice Shower.
Plus, you get a bomb and 3 life fragments from her, so bombing in her spells is no harm.

Koishi IS quite intimidating before you beat her though...
especially when you haven't figured out, say, the heart cards or Genetics or Subterranean Rose,
and plus unlike other extras, it's harder to see your death coming, and you get only 5 lives (6 if you ND Koishi).

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2010, 02:19:14 AM »
I just tried pacifist Suwako. This really belongs in the derp thread. Because I tried pacifist Suwako.

As to this day, I have no idea why the Extra boss with the hardest noncards and the hardest cards is considered the easiest Extra boss by a lot of people. Apart from the whole near-infinite bombs thing, I suppose. And the thing where the noncards are over before they even begin if you're not doing pacifist. And the thing where every card has a ridiculously long timer which you don't notice most of the time. And MarisaB.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
I just tried pacifist Suwako. This really belongs in the derp thread. Because I tried pacifist Suwako.

As to this day, I have no idea why the Extra boss with the hardest noncards and the hardest cards is considered the easiest Extra boss by a lot of people. Apart from the whole near-infinite bombs thing, I suppose. And the thing where the noncards are over before they even begin if you're not doing pacifist. And the thing where every card has a ridiculously long timer which you don't notice most of the time. And MarisaB.

Except for Jade River, Seven Stones, and Froggy Braves the Elements, I think I could time out most of the cards without too much issues.

The noncards, though...

*shudders*

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »
Except for Jade River, Seven Stones, and Froggy Braves the Elements, I think I could time out most of the cards without too much issues.

The noncards, though...

*shudders*
My issue is that every single Suwako card is very clipdeathy. And when you have to do them for almost 2 minutes instead of 20 seconds, I tend to get some...

I'll just blame the weird hitbox of those small bullets and move on to Flandre or Koishi.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2010, 03:18:34 AM »
Trying to capture/beat Ghost Town in DS with Hatate.  Did it with Aya with almost no problem, that should have been a sign, but I did not heed it.  Had a hard time with Hatate could barely take over two pictures with her.  Then finally I managed to make it to the last part.  I heard the camera click, I hit the Z button followed by the death noise.  There was a clear block with Orin standing there.  She hit me with her wheelbarrow!

« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
Reached Murasa with max lives (I haven't come close to that, before), and I actually got excited about my chances of actually pulling off a 1cc. Surely THAT'S enough resources to destroy the rest of the game with, right? Right? T.T

Gameover on Magical Milky Way  =/

On the plus side, at least I reached Byakuren, which is only the 3rd time I've managed to do so on lunatic (out of 60-something attempts in the last week, but still.... >.>)

Neo Aemilius

• Born with Divine Grace...
  • To love a person, one doesn't need a heart ...
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2010, 06:23:20 AM »
Hatate's short spaced camera made me in despair >_>

Sleeping Terror

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
VoWG hard... gameovered when I was THIS CLOSE, THIS CLOSE to beating Kanako.
What's wrong with me now... seriously
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:14:56 AM by jsonchiu »