Author Topic: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7  (Read 190719 times)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
Re: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7
« Reply #900 on: June 21, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
Okay, yes, UFO gives you a metric fuckton of resources. But here's the rub:

If you are getting all those resources, YOU DO NOT NEED THEM.

The first thing I noticed about that "derp" hard replay? You let about 2 UFO pieces go to waste in the entire run. Y'know what? I've gotten pretty damn good at UFO chaining recently, but I couldn't do that well even on easy mode. The second thing I noticed was that you made some pretty impressive dodges in places, then made up for it by bombing easyshit. And no matter how much it sounds like that evens out, in practice it never does. For one thing, not everyone always dies with no bomb stock.

"The hardest difficulty in a game is too haaard"
alternatively
"I'm not good enough and spend more time whining than practicing and getting better so everything is luckshit"

I love you guys  :blush:

...you do realize what thread this is, don't you? This is the place we go to rage and scream and bitch and moan about WHATEVER is bugging us, no matter how irrational, so that we don't have to vent our frustration by chucking expensive equipment across the room.

In a month from now, who knows? Maybe I'll think UFO is the best game in the series. But for now, I'll hurl whatever slanderous insults I want at it, if it means keeping my sanity.

(also, UFO can go die. Seriously.)

« Reply #901 on: June 21, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
I feel like sharing my first UFO Hard 1cc as a proof of concept (I am not someone like Baity, so all my mistakes, bomb abuse, etc... are deliberate). That includes such highlights as bombing Ichirin's non-cards, dying on stage 4 Nue, struggling more than is usual on LFO, dying a few times with bombs in stock... oh, and not thinking very hard about my UFO chain and breaking it in parts, of course. I don't think that sort of play is 1cc worthy, but it's a clear all the same! (http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9206)

That sort of 1cc isn't very satisfying though, so it's time to start going for score! And I'm in awe of you guys who are confident enough to score for score on UFO Lunatic.

« Reply #902 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Alright. I'll take your survey Bait. And then, some words to maybe counter-act the UFO defenders! :V
As i completely refuse to believe that it is lack of skill that causes my UFO failing.

I swear to God if that one question about blaming mistakes on "clipdeaths" doesn't have at least a 9:1 ratio for clipdeaths to honest mistakes, you're all fucking liars.

I found that question rather hard to answer. If the mistakes happen in pre-UFO games i am for some reason more forgiving towards them and blame myself on them.

Also when i die due to not knowing what i'm doing i get irritated. The same thing applies for pre-UFO games. Certain Touhou titles just make it more interesting to actually go and learn things.

Basically its: Okay, this is MoF! Lets learn this. If its UFO, its more: I don't give a crap anyway.

Also, about your sig Zengeku, how can you like Mega Man when you hate memorization stuff? From the few I've played, it's all memorization.

Nah, its just cos' Duff McWhalen is freakin' bad-ass!

Seriously though, Mega Man is some of the greatest games ever made imo. The Mega Man X games are pretty good too but i like the classic series better.

There may be a lot of memorization involved but they don't punish you as harshly for forgetting what you are doing and there is a lot of skill involved as well.

"The hardest difficulty in a game is too haaard"

More like, the hardest difficulty is too hard and anything lower is so easy that its boring.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #903 on: June 21, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
I just realized that everything said so far is technically relevant to the actual thread because we're all arguing about various things, which does indeed fall under "bitching / whining". Go figure.

You let about 2 UFO pieces go to waste in the entire run.
UFO chaining itself should become second nature by the time you're coming around for a Lunatic 1cc (or maybe even Hard); if this isn't the case then drop it down a difficulty or two (or three even) and get familiar with the system. Using bombs should give you plenty of time to think as well; you may or may not notice that I have a tendency to stand still for a few seconds just after bombing. If not, then I'm going to suggest pausing as a possible alternative; though whether or not your morals about pausing in a shmup may or may not come into effect here. There are also cases where I use a bomb preemptively; this is a "planned" bomb and is actually quite normal to use in any of the Touhou games. "Too difficult to do X? Use a bomb here if possible"; planning a route makes things much easier after all.

The second thing I noticed was that you made some pretty impressive dodges in places, then made up for it by bombing easyshit. And no matter how much it sounds like that evens out, in practice it never does. For one thing, not everyone always dies with no bomb stock.
You have to do some dodging in Lunatic play, whether you actually like it or not; I believe even Rook can attest to this with his Chronicles of 1cc'ing PCB Lunatic (that said, if you're reading this, I would like to offer sincere congratulations on that). That said, any form of impressive dodging present would fall under either being a complete fluke, or be unfortunately, mediocre dodging in my honest opinion even if I took it down a notch or two.

Indeed, not everyone always dies with no bomb stock. Not everybody can flawlessly execute a given route (even if it's on paper) every single time either. Yadda yadda yadda you get the idea. However, ironing out those careless mistakes is part of the learning process.

That sort of 1cc isn't very satisfying though, so it's time to start going for score! And I'm in awe of you guys who are confident enough to score for score on UFO Lunatic.
Ah, a rare post from you; I keep thinking you're a lurker for some odd reason  :V
I'd also like to offer thanks to you for actually submitting to Royalflare, even if it was only once or twice. And pulling off that 1cc. Granted, it was quite the sloppy 1cc, but it's a 1cc nonetheless. Even though you may feel guilty about this, I would like to offer my sincerest:

despite being in the incorrect thread to do so.

I found that question rather hard to answer. If the mistakes happen in pre-UFO games i am for some reason more forgiving towards them and blame myself on them.
The question itself should be difficult to answer if you don't reflect on your own development periodically.

EDIT: Random fixes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:52:25 PM by Baitikkuri »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #904 on: June 21, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »

The question itself should be difficult to answer if you don't reflect on your own development periodically.

Ehh... developments with regards to what?

I just meant it was hard to answer because my reaction to dying in any game is very much depending on the nature of the death. Sometimes i wind up blaming the game if something seems unfair and sometimes i blame myself.

« Reply #905 on: June 21, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
Pacifist Ran attempt.

Derped way too much and had no lives left after Charming Siege(as usual no bombs or there would be complaining).

Made it Unilateral Contact where I barely failed to time it out. If I had done that, I could have made it to at least the end of the survival card or to the timeout phase, or if I managed to do things right a clear.

Edit: Failed to mention 3 failed IN Extra No Death attempts on Possessed by Phoenix second phase.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:38:22 PM by Enigma »

« Reply #906 on: June 21, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Why is it that the UFO Stage 2 and 3 bosses are harder than the Stage 4 boss? It doesn't make sense. I will give UFO a bit of legitimate praise though: The bosses past stage 3 are not so bad.

Although i'm pretty annoyed by dying twice to LFO after getting it to the final phase. In a run where i capped everything by Makai Butterfly (lol, forgot route) and Devil's Recitation (death by laser). I would devote some time to getting better at Devil's Recitation as that has potential for being quite entertaining but that's where the problem of every Non-S4 stage in UFO is dreadfully boring.

Its like playing a game with 2 minute+ load times. It would be fun but unfortuneatly you have to sit through boring stuff whenever you don't win (as in, get an acceptable run.)

« Reply #907 on: June 21, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
I swear, SA lunatic stage 1 is the hardest easy thing ever. No matter how simple everything in it seems to be, I continually manage to retardedly slam into something. Will I not learn? *slaps self*

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #908 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
I am unbelievably bad at SA.  And at UFO S1.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #909 on: June 21, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »
Aw mannnnnnn...

I was about 2 seconds away from capturing Rings of Death. I lost focus when my brain said "by the way, this is Rings of Death and you're not dead yet".
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
I never said UFO was luckshit, maybe I said it was shit (it isn't, it's just WAY TOO FUCKING HARD) but I am sure I never said it was luckshit. If you find one post of mine saying UFO is luckshit I'll delete my account and never show up again, this is a promise.

That first quote was for you, not the second :V

...you do realize what thread this is, don't you? This is the place we go to rage and scream and bitch and moan about WHATEVER is bugging us, no matter how irrational, so that we don't have to vent our frustration by chucking expensive equipment across the room.

You're free to ignore my counter-bitching. The idea behind my pseudo-trolling was for you people who bitch and moan about UFO being too hard or getting "clipdeaths" to realise what you're doing wrong. All of your fucking defeatist attitudes are getting you nowhere fast, so when the people who have beaten UFO lunatic come in and offer advice (don't throw away garbage runs, stop blaming the game, watch a few replays), we get called elitist players who take pride in mocking other players who have not accomplished as much and that we spend five hours a day grinding. I don't think anybody here spends five hours everyday grinding away at stuff we can't beat. Except Jaimers. And if he doesn't, I'll be angry, because he improves way too quickly. :V

Not only all that foolishness, but our advice is ignored in the end, and the people who are having trouble continue bitching about the same damn things. Gee, I wonder why?

Why is it that the UFO Stage 2 and 3 bosses are harder than the Stage 4 boss? It doesn't make sense. I will give UFO a bit of legitimate praise though: The bosses past stage 3 are not so bad.

Murasa is the easiest fourth stage boss in the series, which is unfortunate. Yes, Kogasa is hard. For somebody who always complains about how boring the earlier parts of these games are, you sure have some interesting opinions about the more... Entertaining stage two and three bosses.

More like, the hardest difficulty is too hard and anything lower is so easy that its boring.

This is a very valid point. I also find hard to be too boring, so I kept at lunatic until I managed to start doing well at it. That's just how it is. If you don't like it, then there's really nothing else to be said on the manner, really.

Hell yeah, man! Go for score! And confidence!? Pah! I'm still nervous as all blazes when I enter Hijiri, I dunno about some of the other lunatic scorers :V

Whoa, almost forgot --

Its like playing a game with 2 minute+ load times. It would be fun but unfortuneatly you have to sit through boring stuff whenever you don't win (as in, get an acceptable run.)

Stop throwing away garbage runs.

theshirn

« Reply #911 on: June 21, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
This is a very valid point. I also find hard to be too boring, so I kept at lunatic until I managed to start doing well at it. That's just how it is. If you don't like it, then there's really nothing else to be said on the manner, really.
lunatic just kicked my ass
that's really all there is to say on the matter

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #912 on: June 21, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »
Y'know, maybe I should stop trying to play while I'm nursing a cold and aching all over. I think the bullet patterns are starting to make me dizzy >.>

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #913 on: June 21, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
Ehh... developments with regards to what?
Developments with regard to your skill; you people don't reflect on how good you think you are after trying a few 1cc attempts? Or when they start playing on the higher modes?

I just meant it was hard to answer because my reaction to dying in any game is very much depending on the nature of the death. Sometimes i wind up blaming the game if something seems unfair and sometimes i blame myself.
This ties in with the development of skill. For instance, HardMode!Baity complains of clipdeaths. The question in short is asking "do you blame the game for killing you, or do you blame yourself for killing yourself?"
<>

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #914 on: June 21, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
Except Jaimers. And if he doesn't, I'll be angry, because he improves way too quickly. :V

Less than 10 attempts to beat that extra mode.  :V

In other related news to that video: Youtube is making me fucking cry. 

« Reply #915 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
Somebody bet my Marisa A score already :<

Look again! My score is no longer diamonds :(

Fucks sake I didn't want to have to improve it so soon.

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #916 on: June 22, 2010, 02:31:43 AM »
Obligatory AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Did great on Shiki as Reisen, then after a level 4 spell went to the bottom to misdirect any coming lasers. Got smacked in the back by a line of enemies. Oh fuckfuckfuckfuck I could 1cc as Reisen easily if Shiki didn't kill me in ways as contrived and stupid as a Rube Goldberg (ry

And then I ragequit about 10 times until I had a good run going again, and proceeded to lose 3 lives to Komachi by running into more enemies. I also ran into a coin while my head was turned away from the monitor. Fun stuff.

Am I the only person who gets markedly worse the longer they play? I can only play for an hour before everything goes to shit. 

Udongein

« Reply #917 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:46 AM »
fuc.
Two Lunatic EoSD runs made it up to stage 5 at those faeries that throw MASSIVE BLUE WALLS at you before midboss Sakuya and game overed on the last bullet of the last wave. orz

Maybe I should switch away from ReimuB, considering I lose most of my lives to Patchouli...

theshirn

« Reply #918 on: June 22, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »
Well, that's it.  Screw Reimu.  With no piercing and no close-range aerial attacks, she can't handle Iku's last card very well...and she's utterly useless on SWRoAH.  Yes, I know there's the perfect video up on youtube, but I can't replicate that, and nothing else works with her.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #919 on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:20 AM »
MoF Hard, clipped by Sanae because my neighbor went BZZZZZZZZZZZ and scared the crap out of me

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #920 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
<>

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #921 on: June 22, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »
Maybe people would complain less about the elitists who think UFO is easy if you stopped posting 1ccs in the Bitch/Whine thread because they didn't meet your scoring standards.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #922 on: June 22, 2010, 03:47:12 AM »
Funny you should mention that:
[13:32]   <Naut>   Did you finish?
[13:32]   <Baitikkuri>   nope
[13:32]   <Naut>   Was gonna say, 1/2 is iffy
[13:33]   <Baitikkuri>   took risks at the start
[13:34]   <Baitikkuri>   died early
Besides that, complaining about scoring mistakes is within the boundaries of the purpose of this thread.
<>

« Reply #923 on: June 22, 2010, 03:53:14 AM »
Maybe people would complain less about the elitists who think UFO is easy if you stopped posting 1ccs in the Bitch/Whine thread because they didn't meet your scoring standards.

Has also been guilty of doing this, just not on UFO. Nor would I if I had a UFO one on the higher difficulties because I know how valid the UFO complaints are.

In addition to that, there's also the hitboxes are perfectly fine, no such thing as clipdeath, practice more(just how many hours do you need? I keep trying, I don't improve on this game because of all the BS), all the attacks being fair, etc. I just don't see any of this as true and seeing it spammed is annoying to anyone who does not like the game.

« Reply #924 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:39 AM »
Elitists are silly.

« Reply #925 on: June 22, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »

Who the fuck has said UFO is easy >: |

theshirn

« Reply #927 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:23 AM »
o rite

Baitums :(

theshirn

« Reply #928 on: June 22, 2010, 04:14:02 AM »
o rite

Baitums :(
in 24pt font no less

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #929 on: June 22, 2010, 04:40:53 AM »

I see no instance of the word "easy". What I'm saying in short is that everybody who's playing on the Lunatic level and has gotten a few 1cc's under their belt should be able to get a UFO Lunatic 1cc. If you're not and you don't know why at this point, I'm going to strongly suggest that you reflect on it a bit more.

Realization Tip: Open the game and check the number of hours you've clocked and compare this value with the values in the other games.
<>