Author Topic: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7  (Read 190931 times)

Formless God

Re: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7
« Reply #960 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:23 AM »
2 for IN and PoFV; 4 for EoSD, PCB (damn) and StB; 5 for MoF, SA, UFO and DS :smug:

So 29 out of 31 people actually blame themselves for the mistakes ? I'm Kogasa'd :V

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #961 on: June 23, 2010, 03:40:50 AM »
Medicine's boss fight is poorly designed and worthy of ragequits. This applies to all difficulties. Doesn't help that you have to fight her as some of the more gimped characters. I know how to do Aya, and now you throw this bullcrap at me?

What the fuck ZUN.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #962 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:23 AM »
an hour and a half, one run makes it to S5

this is so stupid

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ebarrett

« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:39 AM »
Did some very minimal UFO lunatic practice. In three or four attempts for each stage until S4 I started figuring out some routes WITHOUT ACTUALLY TRYING, realized stage 2 is indeed a joke and that Kogasa is mostly a joke with SanaeB (only the train card looks nuts when you can cheese PSM, but I don't have a problem with one autobomb before S3 so whatever), and noticed stage 4 is, as I suspected, very very lenient, though I was unpleasantly suprised at how fast Murasa's nonspells look on lunatic when you're the one playing. I was hoping I could avoid having to memorize these, but it seems it's unreasonable to try and read the waves every single time.

Now, if I could only stops these DEATHS FROM FUCKING NOWHERE WHICH WERE INTRODUCED WITH MOF WHICH TOOK ME ABOUT FORTY ATTEMPTS DESPITE BEING THE EASIEST SHIT EVER, also SCREW STAGE THREE'S WALLFAIRIES

Drake

« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »
walls are aimed

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #965 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »
AGH HOW DID I LOSE MY LAST LIFE TO BYAKUREN'S OPENER

DAMMIT MURASA STOP MOVING THE WRONG DIRECTION IN SINKABLE VORTEX

WHAT I CAPTURED RTG HARD?

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2010, 08:22:44 AM »
tried to malice cannon "Possessed by Phoenix"
got killed by the explosion (!) at the last 5 second while I was about to finish off her life bar.

« Reply #967 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
Why won't Yumeko's 2nd attack stop killing me? Isn't that supposed to be easy? I guess i need to take a break, go play some Castlevania and then come back later once i've chilled out.

2 for IN and PoFV; 4 for EoSD, PCB (damn) and StB; 5 for MoF, SA, UFO and DS :smug:

So 29 out of 31 people actually blame themselves for the mistakes ? I'm Kogasa'd :V

I handed out a lot of 5's as well: PCB, IN, MoF, SA and DS.
But it seems you gave EoSD a 4 which indicates that you like it. I'll just be waiting for your 1cc then. (Hopefully you'll make one that isn't as much of a trainwreck as mine was... entered stage 5 with 2 lives. And won. I got some good resourcemanagement there.)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #968 on: June 23, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
I think I have only once or twice ever uttered the word "clipdeath" with even a hint of malice.The only games I blame for my deaths are StB, and, after much deliberation, UFO.

As for the rankings, I normalized my responses around 3;  1 '5' (SA), 1 '1' (StB) and the rest roughly equal.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #969 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
For me, clipdeath means simply that I died by a very small margain, a close call as opposed to making a huge mistake like screwing up a streaming or something.

Even if you died by the width of a pixel, It is still your own mistake. Well, outside of certain SoEW bullets that is.  :derp:

Although requiring actual pixel-perfect dodging makes thing very difficult and usually more frustrating than difficulty by other means, I'll give you that.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #970 on: June 23, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
I made PSM wreck my day again. Dying to that card (which happens 95% of the time) equals me getting in a bad mood as i've never died without being boxed in at that spellcard. A bad mood that effectively ruins the rest of the fight.

Then i go to Shou and as usual things go dreadful.

Vajra is apparently a card that requires memorized movements. Fuck that shit. Its fine enough to dodge the bullets and all but without any indication of the pace you need to move at I can really only consider it a piece of trash no matter how possible it might be.

No real grudge against her other attacks. Except her 2nd non-spell being super annoying because it requires better reflexes than i have which basically eliminates all skill and leave it up to dodging. I don't really think i can help it if my reflexes aren't faster than they are.

EDIT: Some edits now that i have calmed down a bit.

I don't think my reflexes are being too slow as i can read much faster bullets with greater sucess. Eternal Meek for example. And i suppose VoWG is harder as well. Its probably just because i utterly suck at laser attacks and gets rendered inable to do any good action simply because i don't see them coming. I can understand that there isn't something wrong with the game simply for my own lack of ability but its certainly a reason not to like a game.

If a game challenges you to the point where you take the blame of your mistakes and entertains you then you have a solid challenge.

If a game challenges you so hard that you can't seem to improve at it despite your best efforts and make you frustrated to the point where you start blaming the game then you've got difficulty that certainly is challenging but not in the good way.

In other words: I'm looking for challenging gameplay but not to the point where things get frustrating. I don't want any silly gimmicks where i need to more around the screen at a specific pace to redirect a laser, or having to figure out what parasol to destroy and what parasol not to destroy.

I want Hell God Sword, Virtue of Wind God, Storm Day, Spring Kyoto Dolls, Orin's final non-spell, any given Hong spellcard (easy? whatever at least it's fun), Sakuya's non-spells etc.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:35:04 PM by Zengeku the Viking »

theshirn

« Reply #971 on: June 23, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
Died with three power on Orin three times.

I should have a 1cc by now.  This sucks.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #972 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
For me, clipdeath means simply that I died by a very small margain, a close call as opposed to making a huge mistake like screwing up a streaming or something.

Even if you died by the width of a pixel, It is still your own mistake. Well, outside of certain SoEW bullets that is.  :derp:

Although requiring actual pixel-perfect dodging makes thing very difficult and usually more frustrating than difficulty by other means, I'll give you that.

This. Fucking this. Complaints about clipdeath are warranted so long as the player wasn't paying attention and ran into a bullet.

Speaking of screwing up streaming...

MoF Stage 4 hard. Tried to stream the red jellybeans by holding down and tapping left. Somehow messed that up and ran into a bullet. While streaming. I am going to go revoke my gamer's license now.

Drake

« Reply #973 on: June 23, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
tried to malice cannon "Possessed by Phoenix"
got killed by the explosion (!) at the last 5 second while I was about to finish off her life bar.
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=6057.0

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #975 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »
Augh, I really should have perfected the Prismrivers by now. I suicided twice before them to lower the rank (Lyrica's opener is nearly impossible on max rank due to a single added bullet), died as Concerto Grosso was exploding. If the stage weren't so long...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #976 on: June 24, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I was having my best PCB Hard run ever (7/3 by Stage 5, perfect stage 4 except for 1 death at the second prismriver nonspell) and, just as I thought, "hey look I'm actually playing decently tonight", stage 5 raped me and left me to die at stage 6 with no lives and three bombs, a couple of point items away from the last extend.

I somehow get past Youmu midboss with just one bomb spent, so I prayed and faced Yuyuko. I was actually doing not bad at all, when by the end of her second spellcard, being only 12 point items away from the extend, I rushed to the POC and got instakilled by spawning bullets.

:rage:

Drake

« Reply #977 on: June 24, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
I'm kind of wary about that stage 5 raping you stuff. Could I see a standard practice replay? Even if it was mostly bad luck it still sounds iffy.

ebarrett

« Reply #978 on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:02 AM »
walls are aimed

multiple stabs to the chest are aimed too, in a way

Drake

« Reply #979 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »
run around in circles to misdirect them

« Reply #980 on: June 24, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
Augh, I really should have perfected the Prismrivers by now. I suicided twice before them to lower the rank (Lyrica's opener is nearly impossible on max rank due to a single added bullet), died as Concerto Grosso was exploding. If the stage weren't so long...

Wait, what? Rank in PCB? I haven't noticed anything like that. Also, i didn't die during the stage when i perfected them so it can't be that impossible.

« Reply #981 on: June 24, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
I attempted an UFO Lunatic run. Got to stage 4 and game overed at anchor.

I DIED FUCKING THREE TIMES ON ICHIRIN AND TWO TIMES ON HER GODDAMN ASSFUCK OF A STAGE!!!

I hate this game and Stage 3 is to blame! I wanna cut up whatever playtester thought that was a good idea with a boxcutter. Terrible experience.

Also fuck that horrible UFO system. Its like those UFO's are designed to change color when you don't need them to and take forever to change whenever you actually want them to.

And stop fucking floating atop the screen where there is no way to get you. And stop floating where i need to dodge so i pick you up by accident.

I'll have to quit this game now because i've gotten so angry that i'm afraid i'll start hurting someone. Thus defining ragequitting.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #982 on: June 24, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
After countless practice and multiple captures in the row yesterday, I have finally nailed the heart cards...
*then proceed to clip in both Release of Id and Super Ego out of stupidity*
FFFFUUUUUU
*oh well maybe I will try again...*

then the worst run ever came
died once in the FIRST non-spell, bombed the extremely easy first spell
DIED IN THE FUCKING 2ND SPELL WTF HOW DID I FAIL THAT
Clipped some jellybeans
Got too excited and accepted Koishi's love in 3rd and 4th spell
then proceed to bomb through a couple of cards
Somehow made it to genetics and instantly ram into a bullet in the first 2 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:48:39 AM by jsonchiu »

« Reply #983 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
I'm kind of wary about that stage 5 raping you stuff. Could I see a standard practice replay? Even if it was mostly bad luck it still sounds iffy.

This is last night's run, I don't have time right now to try a st5 practice run, but given the conditions (7/3) it's as good as one I guess.

But yeah, I'm not making amends, I suck at PCB st5, even in normal. Keep in mind I haven't 1cc'd PCB hard yet. I know the theory of how you're supposed to tackle Youmu's attacks but if I lose concentration for a tiny bit then everything goes to hell.

Last night it was somewhat special, I somehow managed to not bomb once despite losing a lot of lives (and despite having excellent deathbomb reflexes during the previous stages). I'm pretty sure it was the fact that I failed pretty hard at some initial popcorn attacks and Youmu's first spellcard and lost concentration, but yeah... that replay is really embarrassing, st5 onwards  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:27:28 AM by WanderingKnight »

« Reply #984 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »
Another Pacifist run that got to Ran's timeout phase just to game over because of idiotic screw ups earlier in the run. 2 others that got to Shikigami "Chen", and another that got to Unilateral Contact.

And all these 1DNB and 2DNB timeouts of Charming Siege piss me off, especially the one where I stupidly died with under 3 seconds left on the card.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #985 on: June 24, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
PCB Normal Stage 5 is the reason I can't 1cc this freaking game. I've figured out how to deal with pretty much all of Youmu's cards but I always die frequently and randomly to different things. I don't think I've captured any of her cards.

On a slightly related note, is there a general opinion on the difficulty of each Prismriver's individual spellcards and non-spells? I've only really ever bothered with Lunasa (Reimu) and her "thing" seems to be claustrophobia and really small dodging space. I've gotten used to that by now but when I've tried other sisters they completely obliterate me. Any opinions on them?

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #986 on: June 24, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »
Wait, what? Rank in PCB? I haven't noticed anything like that.

What I've generally seen in regards to this is that rank does exist in PCB, but unlike EoSD, it's so subtle that it's basically a meaningless number and something you can ignore 99% of the time.  The only PCB attack I've seen anyone mention rank on is, as Donut mentioned, Lyrica's opener, which Kefit also mentions here.

Of course, as a Reimu player, I end up fighting Lunasa, and I've never encountered this attack outside of the two Marisa 1ccs I've done, so I don't actually have any experience of my own to draw conclusions from.  For all I know, this thing called "max rank" is just a bad case of nervousness.

On a slightly related note, is there a general opinion on the difficulty of each Prismriver's individual spellcards and non-spells? I've only really ever bothered with Lunasa (Reimu) and her "thing" seems to be claustrophobia and really small dodging space. I've gotten used to that by now but when I've tried other sisters they completely obliterate me. Any opinions on them?

For Normal, you're probably fine sticking with Lunasa.  Lunatics tend to go for Lyrica due to her tap-stream noncard and relatively easy spellcard, but something about that spellcard seems to be more difficult on Normal than it is on Lunatic I typed that out, then decided to go back and test it for myself.  It doesn't just "seem" more difficult.  That is NOT a Normal difficulty spellcard.  It's definitely more difficult than its Lunatic equivalent.

Don't fight Lyrica on Normal.

I don't have much experience with Merlin, but I seem to recall curvy lasers on that front.  I'd reject it just based on that.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

theshirn

« Reply #987 on: June 24, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
I don't have much experience with Merlin, but I seem to recall curvy lasers on that front.  I'd reject it just based on that.
Merlin's opener is absolutely brutal.  Hino Phantasm (the Normal card) is much harder than Ghost Clifford, Hard or Lunatic.

The Prismrivers are not very well balanced.

« Reply #988 on: June 24, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Merlin's opener generally takes a total of 3-4 resources away from me, so usually 1 death and some bombs. I fucking hate that attack so much considering I mainly use Sakuya.

« Reply #989 on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
Merlin's opener is absolutely brutal.  Hino Phantasm (the Normal card) is much harder than Ghost Clifford, Hard or Lunatic.

The Prismrivers are not very well balanced.

I don't know about Hino Phantasm or Ghost Clifford as i pretty much destroy those spellcards without any effort but Merlin's opener is certainly brutal. If nothing else because i have to play crappy maid to face it. Still, tough attack. Also. I remember their easy mode version of one of their spellcards were something that belonged on Hard mode. I'm not too sure of that however.

About Kefit: He just failed. I immediately found a gap to dodge through. He didn't even clip anything. Rushed straight into a bullet. Now, there might be some rank mumbo-jumbo to this game but it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Its strange how Kefit never managed to capture it at max rank though. It was obviously possible.