Author Topic: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon  (Read 70992 times)

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Re: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
Came up just a couple of hours short of holding a gym for an entire day. D:
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
At the ugliest building in the city where I work there is a team Mystic fortress

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »
At the ugliest building in the city where I work there is a team Mystic fortress

That's okay, we had one of those here and it went down overnight. I think the odds are just stacked too heavily against anyone ever keeping a gym.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
That's okay, we had one of those here and it went down overnight. I think the odds are just stacked too heavily against anyone ever keeping a gym.

Yeah, speaking of that: If one Pok?mon is set to guard a Gym and is subsequently getting its ass whooped, can another member of the same team step in and tag in their own Pok?mon?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2016, 07:16:46 PM »
Yeah, speaking of that: If one Pok?mon is set to guard a Gym and is subsequently getting its ass whooped, can another member of the same team step in and tag in their own Pok?mon?

This is my understanding of how gyms work:

-The number of Pokemon a gym can hold is based on its rank. Rank is based on Prestige.

-Rank can be increased by members of the same team battling there and winning. This is called "training", and you can only bring a single Pokemon to train. Every consecutive gym Pokemon you beat, without healing in between, gives a slight Prestige boost. If you KO every defender I assume the prestige bonus is large, but I've found this very difficult to do since you have to beat the entire gym with a single Pokemon.

-Rank can be decreased by members of opposing teams battling there and winning. They can bring their whole team, and every gym Pokemon KOed drops the gym prestige some, while KOing all Pokemon in the gym drops it considerably.

-Pokemon in the gym heal back up to full after every battle. Being KOed does not kick a Pokemon out of the gym.

-When the gym drops by a level, the weakest Pokemon in the gym gets kicked out.

-If the gym drops below rank 2 (?) it becomes neutral and anyone nearby can claim it and put their Pokemon in, making it their color. I'm pretty sure the gym needs to be ranked back up at this point.

-Multiple people battling the gym at once seem to be able to team up on the defender. Not sure if this requires the attackers to be on the same team.

-Every 21 hours (?) you keep a Pokemon in the gym gives you a tiny number of coins. Nothing else seems to pay out anything.

Can anyone deny any of that or expand on any of it? This is just from personal experience and a bit of hearsay, so I don't stand behind any of it very strongly.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
Just spent an hour getting cockteased by a Pikachu...

Granted, I did manage to fill in a few other blanks in the Pokedex minus the Pikachu, still a buzzkill to have the one thing you went out to get to be very far out of reach. :/

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »
just finished a ride through most of the state emptying my college apartment

A) universities are unfair why does this happen right when i graduate

B) i missed that charmander on the ride back and will never recover

C) i have so many eggs to hatch oh god

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »
Commandercool,

Unless I've misread, I think that's the exact process.  I've only gone through it once myself so I could be wrong. 

Also the gym my Vaporeon is in has been up for 16 hours! \o/

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
-Every 21 hours (?) you keep a Pokemon in the gym gives you a tiny number of coins. Nothing else seems to pay out anything.

It also gives an amount of Stardust, or so I hear from /r/PokemonGO.

I just "caught" a Venomoth, but it froze. I'm just leaving my phone on until it does something.
I was going to play PAD or F/GO, but oh well.

EDIT: Defiance worked:
EDIT2: Wiah where did that 1.533k Stardust come from :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:10:24 PM by Hikari »

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »

This is the spookiest Pokestop.

There's berries and aigs in there.

Chaore

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:49 AM »
eggs give enough stardust to fuel my bird training habits

i'm going to need to run a lot more now ;;

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2016, 12:46:05 AM »
Yesterday, people activated lures at my college so they could rob people. I saw a bunch of police car coming as I was leaving. College will look interesting when school starts.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2016, 12:48:18 AM »
Sadly predictable, but...this is why it takes a lot for people to be able to have nice things.

* Jq1790 lets out a slow heavy sigh
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:18 AM »

Hey guys check out my cool gym.

No, I don't know why it's called that.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2016, 02:05:38 AM »

Close - every 21 hours you can hit the shield button in the upper right of the Shop page you will get coins/dust for each Pokemon you have in a gym.  It's basically impossible in my area to hold anything for 21 hours straight, so I just smash it as soon as I get one in there I stand no chance in getting multiple outposts at my level in my area.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2016, 02:17:34 AM »
Oh what. That's super cool, I actually didn't know that. Thanks. That makes actually getting a payout WAY easier.

So I had a weird Pokemon Go etiquette thing come up earlier. Another guy and I were training at a gym and we ranked it up and I finished my battle first, so I could have slipped a Pokemon in there before he finished his battle. He was in his car with the windows up so I couldn't ask him what he wanted to do. He had been there training longer and I came along to help in the last few minutes before it ranked up.

I ended up letting him have it, but I'm not sure if he planned on grinding out another rank after that so we both could have gotten in. Almost fucked him over because he was obviously just driving from gym to gym and not, you know, actually playing the whole game, but that's not really fair. I hope he went and put something in my gym after that though since it had a slot open and was just a quarter mile or so away in the same cemetery and it's super vulnerable right now, if way off the beaten path.

Also hatched another 10km egg earlier and got a Pinsir. Cooool. I've been semi-wasting my Stardust leveling up rare egg pulls that I can't feasibly support since I have no way to get more candy for them, but they're so much cooler than anything else I have. And Pinsir has Fury Cutter, which is a move with only 3 power that I assume you can attack very quickly with. That seems super useful and I want to give it a try.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2016, 02:28:16 AM »
If it's at all like Fury Cutter in the games it has the potential to get very silly.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2016, 02:45:50 AM »
Hello yes I am playing this game too! Getting ready to make my Lucky Egg evorush from 15-20.

It's kinda weak and I'll never be able to battle with it but Porygon is cool!!! From a 5km egg, surprisingly enough!

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:37 AM »
You only get Porygon from 5km eggs.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:11:09 AM by Hikari »

Tengukami

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
You only get Porygon from 5km eggs.

That's good to know! I have two 5km eggs incubating right now.

Went with Team Mystic, and turns out the gym at the church a block away from my home is being held down by us pretty steady. Which is good, because the next closest gym is changing hands left and right with defenders who are like 200+. I'm thinking a campaign of expansion could be fun, so I'm seeing a lot of long walks downtown getting my evolving freaks into shape.

e: Caught a Meowth this morning!

Also, checked out the gyms on my route to work this morning. Whole lotta scrubs in the 200-300 CP range. But then we passed by Harpa Concert Hall...

What's funny about this, is that I'm noticing that the trainers with Icelandic-sounding names pick unremarkable locations that tourists ignore for their gyms, while gigantic tourist attractions such as Harpa seem to be a magnet for trainers with foreign-sounding names; presumably tourists themselves, coming to our country with their ridiculously powered Pok?mons and taking over our gyms. #buildthewall
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:46:55 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »
Also, checked out the gyms on my route to work this morning. Whole lotta scrubs in the 200-300 CP range. But then we passed by Harpa Concert Hall...

Yesterday my friend and I screamed. We drove by my university and one of the gyms had a Snorlax in it. We knew Snorlax was rare, so it couldn't have possibly been that high CP, but to our great dismay it was 1700+ CP. The guy must live near a spawn point or something...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
Yesterday my friend and I screamed. We drove by my university and one of the gyms had a Snorlax in it. We knew Snorlax was rare, so it couldn't have possibly been that high CP, but to our great dismay it was 1700+ CP. The guy must live near a spawn point or something...

I don't know, this game seems to have invented a new kind of whaling (which, as per Drake's suggestion, will be called Wailording). In normal whaling you just pay to win in-game, but in Wailording you pay to win in real life too by spending a bunch of gas money to drive around battling gyms and farming Pokemon from inside your car.

And I don't know how, but I am 100% cerain that our biggest local Wailord has found a way to cheat at hatching eggs too, because there is absolutely no fucking way he's walked the hundred plus miles he would need to to hatch all of the eggs he claims to have hatched.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:44:48 PM by commandercool »

« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
I don't know, this game seems to have invented a new kind of whaling (which, as pee Drake's suggestion, will be called Wailording). In normal whaling you just pay to win in-game, but in Wailording you pay to win in real life too by spending a bunch of gas money to drive around battling gyms and farming Pokemon from inside your car.

And I don't know how, but I am 100% cerain that our biggest local Wailord has found a way to cheat at hatching eggs too, because there is absolutely no fucking way he's walked the hundred plus miles he would need to to hatch all of the eggs he claims to have hatched.

Could have slow-drived or had someone slow-drive him around.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
Or bought extra incubators and storage space?

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2016, 01:58:24 PM »
Yeah, it's probably worth remembering that a number of people are, in fact, spending money on this game.

EDIT: Speaking of eggs, an egg started to hatch for me this morning, but the game froze on the "Oh?" screen, and when I quit and restarted, the egg was gone, but there was no new Pokemon. Nice job, programmers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:00:02 PM by Suwako Moriya »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
Or bought extra incubators and storage space?

Is it actually possible to hold more than 9 eggs with expansions? I am a bit disheartened that you can't even discard eggs, because for some reason the game decided to give me just 5km eggs yesterday, when I only want 2's and 10's.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »

You can tie your phone to a ceiling fan and it counts distance. Just get a bunch of incubators and do that overnight.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Finally evolved my Eevee and got a buff-ass Flareon. That is cool, but it feels unfortunate given the Vaporeon meta that seems to exist.

I feel like I've had bad RNG on this game. 3/6 of my main team right now have Steel Wing as their main attack, which is pretty weak.

Want to hug Flareon though. So fluffy. And after just one candy it's now my strongest Pokemon (although I think that's my guys being too evenly leveled more than anything).

Chaore

« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
Slow drive is probably how most people are cheating the egg game.

Cars, unsurprisingly (because they were also op in ingress) are the best cheat tactic. Which is unfortunate for so many reasons.

Tengukami

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
Hell, even taking the public bus can be fruitful. So long as you're either fast or lucky.