Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015  (Read 33478 times)

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 04:55:23 AM »
Beard beard beard. Beard beard beard beard beard. Beard? Beard!
I read this in Kyle Katarn's voice.

But yeah,
Disney literally cannot hurt the series worse than Lucas has in the past 13 years.

This is neutral news at worst.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 05:05:58 AM »
So...

...does that make Leia a Disney Princess now? :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »
Disney literally cannot hurt the series worse than Lucas has in the past 13 years.

In my experience, saying "Well it can't be any worse than [X]" is pretty much inviting the universe to prove you wrong. It can always get worse.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
In my experience, saying "Well it can't be any worse than [X]" is pretty much inviting the universe to prove you wrong. It can always get worse.

Bit of a tangent, but I also just want to elaborate a little further on what I meant with the Yoda lightsaber comment. I know I said I would keep the ranting to a minimum, but this really is one of the biggest sticking points of the prequels for me: Lucas doesn't get Yoda at all. The whole point of Yoda's character and the Force in general is to illustrate that true strength lies within the mind and the spirit rather than the body. That's the whole idea behind the legendary Jedi master being this little feeble-looking Muppet thing. He states it himself practically verbatim, in the scene where he asks Luke to levitate his X-Wing in The Empire Strikes Back. Just watch this scene. There's more substance to this three minutes than everything that happens in the prequel trilogy combined.

Yoda: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

Luke: I don't believe it.

Yoda: That is why you fail.

The prequels shit all over this concept of mind over matter and inner strength by giving Yoda a weapon and making him cartwheel around in fight scenes like fucking Diddy Kong. It completely violates the spirit of his character. Same thing goes for the midichlorians - In addition to serving absolutely no narrative purpose whatsoever, they spit in the face of everything the Force is supposed to represent. Either Lucas is a moron who can't grasp the subtext of a movie with his own name on it, or he's a cynical asshole who just doesn't even care and only wants money. Seriously, I can't overstate how much the prequels suck.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:16:55 AM by Jay T. Dawgsstyles »

Hazdoc

• Pew Pow
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
so is 7 gonna be about the machine dudes with the soul thingy or is it gonna dive straight into thrawn?

because thrawn was pretty much a BA
Let's play some videogaems.
LoL: Hazdoc

Tengukami

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 12:50:58 PM »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
I can't help it! My opinions on Star Wars need to be heard. Star Wars is serious fucking business, man.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

I look at it like this; at this point, anything LucasArts does is pretty much automatically rejected by the majority of the fandom who stays into shit, until it is proven otherwise.

Also, Jay, is that you? Mr. Plinkett?

Tengukami

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »
I look at it like this; at this point, anything LucasArts does is pretty much automatically rejected by the majority of the fandom who stays into shit, until it is proven otherwise.

Which is different than saying "it can't get any worse".

But this unrelated point touches on one pretty hilarious fact: as much as many die-hard fans I know are rightfully unhappy about this news, they will still all the same likely line up to see these films (yes, plural - Disney said it intends to release a new Star Wars film every couple years), buy the merch and so on.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
Bollocks to Star Wars, I'd murder in cold blood for 21st Century Fox to make an Alien or Predator movie worthy of those names again.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
So...

...does that make Leia a Disney Princess now? :V
Can someone please photoshop Jar Jar's head onto Bella's body? I lack the sophistication to make this statement. :<

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »

But this unrelated point touches on one pretty hilarious fact: as much as many die-hard fans I know are rightfully unhappy about this news, they will still all the same likely line up to see these films (yes, plural - Disney said it intends to release a new Star Wars film every couple years), buy the merch and so on.

As to go with just about any franchise that had a following to begin with. Even if the Marvel Superheroes that will come on later... like gasp.... ANT MAN (more like irrelevant man, what the fuck is he gonna do, climb into my ear and bite my cochlea?) I must say, the following will always follow.
and that said, I am all over JT's side, I remember when Star Wars wasn't WIRE KUNG FU FIGHTING IN SPACE PAJAMAS OVER SLOPPY ROMANCE, and that frankly was the biggest let down of the 123. not that 6 was much better, 4 and 5 was the shizz.

I believe one of my strong opinions would go with how I feel much like JT in the Aliens and Predator franchise. AVP was a lets throw a dick into the franchise bad. (although really I couldn't see what the fuck was going on due to the shit dark film to begin with) It just gives BOYS mind you, the slug-out they always wanted, without much substance, then again, if you are going for that, THEN MAKE IT GREAT EPIC ALL OUT, but no, it wasn't that kinda film. Oh well, at least Predators (2010?) was a good follow up, totally brought back the whole Arnold thing and copped a feel on Danny Glover sequel (seriously who the fuck decided he could be in this franchise? even Van Damme would have made a better guy)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

JT

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
Also, Jay, is that you? Mr. Plinkett?
I've been repeating all this stuff like a broken record since I was like 14. All Plinkett did was prove to me that I'm not crazy. Or if I am, then at least I'm not alone.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
I've decided it could be awesome since The Avengers is a Walt Disney Pictures film.  Just let Joss Whedon handle SW Ep 7.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »

Okay, I'll give you that. It can get worse, it just won't realistically make a difference if it's worse!

Speaking as a 90s era SW fanboy who got burned by the prequels and all the rest of the slush, I'll be watching news and reviews on Ep 7 very closely before committing to it >=|

Tengukami

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
In terms of box office sales, no, it likely won't make much of a difference. Lucas will continue to light cigars with $100 bills while ignoring the din of clattering keyboards from angry nerds the world over.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:27 PM »

JT

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
I've decided it could be awesome since The Avengers is a Walt Disney Pictures film.  Just let Joss Whedon handle SW Ep 7.
But that's not even the same kind of-- MUST... RESIST!!!

Tengukami

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »

"I'm sorry, are you Bill Keane, creator of The Family Circus? Because you are making me laugh. The Avengers were comic book superheroes and as such, completely incomparable to the vast complexity of the Star Wars universe. May I remind you that the Star Wars canon extends far beyond the movies, but is also mapped out through hundreds of novels, incorporating characters who have never seen the light of day on the silver screen. Furthermore, this universe spans thousands of years across dozens of galaxies, with a complexity that rivals all of recorded human history, if not exceeding it. I dare say Star Wars might even be the most complex universe ever conceived. To hold up this pinnacle of achievement against mere Men In Unitards is akin to saying the Commodore 64 is on par with the Large Hadron Collider. Please do not touch my figurines on your way out of my store. I said good day, sir!"

JT

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
GOD DAMN IT

The point of The Avengers was to make a big, fun, spectacular action movie without a lot of depth. It definitely succeeded in doing that, and it's a good movie, but I JUST said that focusing on action and explosions and lightsabers and shit is exactly why the prequels went so wrong.

STAR WARS ISN'T ABOUT SPECTACLE!

IT'S ABOUT THE FUCKING CHARACTERS!

RAAAHHH NERD SMASH

JT

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-eId8rgyc
Yeah, I've seen this. :qq:

Also, I have to say, considering the universe Star Wars takes place in, you'd think a giant Death Star-shaped disco ball would be considered extremely offensive. It'd be like having two of those tall home theater speakers with little airplanes stuck in them.

Edit: Joking aside, seeing Han Solo in a dance game doesn't really bother me, since it's just a light-hearted, jokey thing. What DID legitimately upset me, though, was when I first saw this. I don't care that it isn't canon. I don't want to see Han and Chewie get killed, and I don't see why anyone would. :(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:59:47 PM by Jay T. Dawgsstyles »

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »
this
holy shit i think this guy wins stuffman's chuuni challenge hands down

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »
HI STAR TREK > STAR WARS

you want characters interacting ? ya hahahaha

dat said what the fuck is that video omg. fuck the internet.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

pineyappled

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »
Anyone else looking forward to Fuck-it Freddy?
related because disney

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
I hope they make a movie out of that book where Chewie is crushed by a moon. :)

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
George Lucas Will Use Disney $4 Billion to Fund Education

The spokesperson noted that this ?announcement continues a commitment that Lucas made in 2010 to The Giving Pledge, where he stated,  'I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future -- and the first step begins with social, emotional and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt -- as educators, storytellers and communicators, our responsibility is to continue to do so.??

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »
God damn George Lucas for doing something that makes me not hate him.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
Bill Gates --> Vilified by nerds --> Retires --> Donates vast sums of personal wealth to the betterment of humanity --> <3<3<3

George Lucas --> Vilified by nerds --> Retires --> Donates vast sums of personal wealth to the betterment of humanity --> <3<3<3

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »
Karmic loopholes through piles of money!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16