Author Topic: Team Fortress 64  (Read 223237 times)

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Re: Team Fortress 64
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
This too. The strange scattergun I got actually motivated me to start playing Scout. I had barely played the class before I got it.
Same here, find myself playing scout more recently, before I rarely even touched him

Lol Heavy is still my least played class :V (or was it Medic, don't remember :V)

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
I buy stranges exactly to give me motivation to play some especific class and to increase the counter of the weapons. Due to the stranges I pratically play with all classes regularly - except for heavy.

My strange medigun is probably the only reason I ever play medic, and even then only on occasion.

« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
Same here, find myself playing scout more recently, before I rarely even touched him

Lol Heavy is still my least played class :V (or was it Medic, don't remember :V)
Medic.

I find myself playing Heavy a lot when the team needs one, but it's still my least played class. Medic, however, is one of my favorite classes to play, provided my team is not composed entirely of incompetents.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #693 on: April 29, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
I find myself playing Heavy a lot when the team needs one, but it's still my least played class. Medic, however, is one of my favorite classes to play, provided my team is not composed entirely of incompetents.

> "guys we need a medic"
> team composed of engies, snipers, and spies

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »
In both vanilla and FF2 I often go as Medic since few bother to do so - combat rage Medic for the former and aggressive group healer on latter.

Heavy is my least played as well since he doesn't fit my style of play (mostly suport/alternate, never a primary).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
I can never seem to figure out Heavy's preferred playstyle. I mean, I get that he's pretty much a portable meatwall, but every time I try to do anything with him, I either never see anyone, barely deal any damage, or get immediately headshot/backstabbed and just switch back to Pyro or Demoman.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
Because of my ambush/sneak playstyle, heavy is not my character at all, since he feels more like the "head-on" class that tried to clear everything in his way, but I like to ambush and take the route less travelled instead (partly because I hate dying :V)

« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Heavy is best on defense, forcing close range encounters with the enemy team by holding choke points. You want to stick around areas where you can easily hide behind cover to heal, and avoid very open areas and common sniper lanes at all costs. Also remember that you're free to do anything you want while revving down except switching weapons.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »
I should also probably point out that I hate being the main target, which is why I avoid medics and heavies, since they are generally the main targets for spies and snipers :V

« Reply #699 on: April 29, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »
> "guys we need a medic"
> team composed of engies, snipers, and spies
Too often. Just... too often.

I should also probably point out that I hate being the main target, which is why I avoid medics and heavies, since they are generally the main targets for spies and snipers :V
Holding on to a charge too long will certainly result in a stab or headshot. Sadly, a lot of people tend to hang back despite you spamming for them to go.

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #700 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
I don't like playing heavy because 7/10 times I get backstabbed within 12 seconds (yes, even if I've been looking around). As for medics, I like em (as long as they're mine, if they're not... all my hate), and I can typically play them fine. I get stabbed alot less often then I somehow get abandoned in a small tunnel with a <pyro/soldier/heavy/what have you> and often end up saving my heal target's backside from getting an additional hole if I do have a pocket I'm healing. It's just kind of amazing how often people do not check their backs (unless you're a spy and really want them dead, in which case, they're Satori/Koishi(AKA; they know you're there) and you're just about to walk right into a very quick death).
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #701 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
I'm still waiting for some kind of Spy gun that doesn't deal damage, but doesn't break disguise when you fire it so you can appear to shoot while disguised. A Soldier who isn't spamming rockets across the map or a Medic who isn't healing is usually the first people spychecked.

Also, Heavies who never spin up or hop past a corner while spinning up :C

« Reply #702 on: May 01, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
I'm still waiting for some kind of Spy gun that doesn't deal damage, but doesn't break disguise when you fire it so you can appear to shoot while disguised. A Soldier who isn't spamming rockets across the map or a Medic who isn't healing is usually the first people spychecked.
That's actually a very nice concept. It doesn't seem like something that would be added at such a late stage, though. Nonetheless, I'd love something like this.

What would it do while undisguised, though?

« Reply #703 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »
It would fire blanks. :V

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #704 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »
FINALLY, GRAND FINALS TO UGC PLATINUM TONIGHT !

4 slot STV server. Don't want to stream 3 hours of 720p video.

Fuck UGC tonight.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:14:25 AM by Gamecubic »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #705 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:21 AM »

If the spy were dumb enough to shoot a gun that doesn't deal any damage rather than resort to his knife while undisguised, it'd just stick a little flag out the barrel that says 'BANG!'
That, or it'd be a plastic light-up gun that makes pew pew sounds.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #706 on: May 01, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
Will it actually shoot fake projectiles though, because if not, I'd find it completely useless since it'd still be a damn dead giveaway unless it's in the middle of a large battle (which in that case not shooting wouldn't be obvious either since there would be too much chaos to notice anyways)

« Reply #707 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
If anything, the gun would have to make a specific sound when it fires that still makes it a give-away that you're a Spy. Something ridiculous like a squeaky toy, or even fire paintballs. :V In my opinion, there has to be another side effect to using that weapon to counter the ability to keep your disguise.

« Reply #708 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:33 PM »
If anything, the gun would have to make a specific sound when it fires that still makes it a give-away that you're a Spy. Something ridiculous like a squeaky toy, or even fire paintballs. :V In my opinion, there has to be another side effect to using that weapon to counter the ability to keep your disguise.
I don't think you quite understand what was said. What's being suggested is a weapon that would mock-fire the weapon that your disguise is holding, i.e. if you're disguised as a soldier, you'd fire damage-less rockets to blend in better.

« Reply #709 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »
No, I understand perfectly well what he was suggesting. Most non-Pyros that try to Spy-check are looking for people that can fire their weapon as a sign of legitimacy. Having such a revolver that will allow the Spy to keep their disguise sounds good, but it will unbalance things for the Spy, in my opinion. Having a telltale sound that the weapon would make (regardless of disguise) would help balance things better.

« Reply #710 on: May 02, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »
No, I understand perfectly well what he was suggesting. Most non-Pyros that try to Spy-check are looking for people that can fire their weapon as a sign of legitimacy. Having such a revolver that will allow the Spy to keep their disguise sounds good, but it will unbalance things for the Spy, in my opinion. Having a telltale sound that the weapon would make (regardless of disguise) would help balance things better.
Possibly change the pitch slightly? It can't be too obvious, or the weapon wouldn't be effective enough to choose over any of the other primaries.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #711 on: May 02, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
Slight pitch and particle changes would help, plus missile-based weapons would just pass through players on the Spy's team and not deliver any effect. Hitscan weapons are a bit trickier though.

This basically forces the Spy to fire towards his team but not hit too close to them, or the lack of on-hit effects will give him away.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:52:44 AM by 巫女パン Trade Shrine »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #712 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
Maybe the fact that he can't do the 'reload' animation anymore, then? A Soldier who fires eleven rockets in a row would be kind of suspicious, or a Heavy that continues firing for too long. The revolver/handgun would have to likely not have any sort of ammo at all (and only be able to make little 'Bang!' flags out of disguise or just not any any restrictions on how often he can 'fire' in disguise), or only one clip so he has to pick and choose how he's going to act, and when.

It would clearly need some tweaking, but it'd be nice at least. A smart team doesn't need a Pyro to spycheck when there's a Soldier or Demoman running around not spamming things.

Maybe explosives would just fizzle out instead of detonate?

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #713 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Maybe the fact that he can't do the 'reload' animation anymore, then?
Depending on how the weapon would work, that might not be a problem.  You can already fake the disguise's reload animation with your revolver.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:33:45 PM by Barrakketh »
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #714 on: May 02, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
I think you guys are vastly underestimating how much it hurts a Spy to not be able to shoot things.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #715 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
I think you guys are vastly underestimating how much it hurts a Spy to not be able to shoot things.
I'm well aware, which is why I originally mentioned that just not doing any damage is enough of a debuff as it is. But seeing as it's removing one of the primary signs that someone is a spy from a distance, overbalancing it might be needed. You never know until you actually try the weapon, which I doubt would be easy.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #716 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:51 AM »
 I think the spy is perfectly fine the way he is. The only thing I would think of is the sapper slot change, but that's it, since I think it'd be nice for variety there :V

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
The spy having a gun that does no damage..?  I'd rather (when undisguised) he just be holding out his top two fingers and yell "BANG" at people because it'd have the same effect and amuse the hell out of me more. Also let it do like 10 damage when undisguised just so you can laugh more when you kill someone with it (like the short circuit). I might never use it (because lolamba) but I just think it'd be grand seeing both teams comprised of only spys running at each other yelling "Bang!" "Pew!" and "pow!".  :derp:
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #718 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
The spy having a gun that does no damage..?  I'd rather (when undisguised) he just be holding out his top two fingers and yell "BANG" at people because it'd have the same effect and amuse the hell out of me more. Also let it do like 10 damage when undisguised just so you can laugh more when you kill someone with it (like the short circuit). I might never use it (because lolamba) but I just think it'd be grand seeing both teams comprised of only spys running at each other yelling "Bang!" "Pew!" and "pow!".  :derp:
AKA he be learning to shoot from the Heavy :V

« Reply #719 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
AKA he be learning to shoot from the Heavy :V
Pow! Haha!

A "Bang!" flag is fine for me, though.

Bit off topic, my S key broke, so I won't be playing TF2 for a while.