Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XI Online  (Read 207990 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Touhou Rage Thread XI Online
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:02 AM »
Complain about video games here. Complain about the past here.

Oh my god, I haven't been this pissed off at Touhou since Eirin exactly a year ago. Purple Omen is terrible. It is terrible. Apollo 13 levels of terrible, and it doesn't have the decency to get easier after the first wave either. If it weren't for this freaking spell card, I'd have perfected Byakuren twice over already. Screw it. Screw it to Avici. >:(

Also Devil's Recitation is a troll. I've died three times on perfects up to that point that were literally one second away from a capture.

Still...I've made a lot of progress today. Which is a good thing. I think I sunk five hours into this total, holy shit. o_o Thank god this is the last time I'll ever have to drive myself bonkers like this.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:43:16 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XI Online
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
Fuck EoSD Extra.
Fuck Marisa B and her on-off lasers.
Fuck the stupid wall-happy luck-based death fairy that everyone else calls "loleasy" but still manages to make me waste a fucking bomb almost every time.
Fuck Silent Selene and its incredible randomness that makes me never capture the card.
Fuck Patchouli and her random movement on said card.
Fuck the Royal Flare safespot that requires EXPERT TIMING for the second wave.
Fuck the books and their horrible tiny bullets that I can't see.
I HATE THIS STAGE.
edit: Fuck Lunatic mode too. Why is the jump from Hard to Lunatic so bloody immense? And if anyone says "because it's Lunatic" I will fucking kill them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:55:50 PM by Glimmer »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »
An apt title for a rage thread.

I am so unbelievably bad at Touhou these days.  I can barely beat Remilia on a practice run.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
edit: Fuck Lunatic mode too. Why is the jump from Hard to Lunatic so bloody immense? And if anyone says "because it's Lunatic" I will fucking kill them.
Because it's lunatic.   :dealwithit:
Also, higher bullet speed, density and spread as well as a larger dose of required luck.

nintendonut888

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
Also, higher bullet speed, density and spread as well as a larger dose of required luck skill.

Fixed. 8)

This is only for the really advanced stuff, but you also need to be better at reasoning out weaknesses in attack patterns. Things you could get away with not knowing in hard mode will rip you apart in lunatic if you don't learn their intricacies.

Disclaimer: This stances holds despite my madness-induced rants about Purple Omen being the epitome of luckshit  that are sure to come later today.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
EoSD does have more luck on lunatic though, see Vampire Illusion, Stage 6 Sakuya's nonspell and Scarlet Gensoyko compared to their hard counterparts.
Yes, more skill is required, but that's a given.

nintendonut888

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
EoSD does have more luck on lunatic though, see Vampire Illusion, Stage 6 Sakuya's nonspell and Scarlet Gensoyko compared to their hard counterparts.

Aah, but therein lies my point. There are actually very few situations in any of these where you are truly screwed. Take it from somebody who's played the stage over 500 times - With enough creativity and absolute knowledge of the inner workings of the cards, nothing is impossible.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
My rage (on myself) is gonna pierce the heavens! >:( Failed one of the most "successfull" attempts on TD hard no bombs by completely screwing easiest Miko stuff. I've even saved the replay so you can share my pain http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17449
I'm trying to pull it for weeks and always manage to fuck up somewhere. But i dont fucking care! Some more practice and i'll do this! 8)
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
Aah, but therein lies my point. There are actually very few situations in any of these where you are truly screwed. Take it from somebody who's played the stage over 500 times - With enough creativity and absolute knowledge of the inner workings of the cards, nothing is impossible.
Can't agree more. Stuff like Vampire Illusion walls are almost always dodgeable one way or another.
*also coming from someone who has played that stage > 400 times but still can't perfect it.
*Scarlet Gensokyo walls, which happens rarely, is, on the other hand, practically impossible.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Because it's lunatic.   :dealwithit:
Also, higher bullet speed, density and spread as well as a larger dose of required luck.

alslkjfsldfgnkjwer I knew someone was going to do that

I'm in a better mood though so I laughed instead of raged.
I don't even know why I'm playing Lunatic when I can barely beat Hard. It's not fun.

Zil

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
Alright. I'm quite sure now that the only thing preventing me from 1ccing UFO is the fact that I'm using SanaeA. It's because of her that my spell history for Nirvana's Path is better than all of of Byakuren's other spells. I couldn't even beat Byakuren with continues. :fail:
EDIT: Fuck it. Doing this would require me to get so used to handling Sanae (hehehe...) that I'd experience similar bullshit when switching back to Reimu.
Thank god this is the last time I'll ever have to drive myself bonkers like this.
Until the next game comes out. >=D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:10:40 AM by Zil »

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 07:43:12 AM »
FUCK SUWAKO'S LAST CARD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARHGLLGKJGLKGHGLKJHGLGHLGKJHGLKJH

Why must you utterly ruin a no-focus run when I enter you with one life at 5.00 power? That run was fantastic all the way until I got there, at which point I lost...despite not getting hit with bombs in stock. GAH. FUCK.

Magepigeon

• Bringing ridiculous back.
I've been playing off and on since December '10, so I'm a bit behind in skill level, but I'm getting there...

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 06:39:26 PM »
Did.
This.
Really.
Just.
Happen.
TWICE?
IN A ROW?

I think I'm going to calm down somewhere...

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
so, yeah.
Apparently ExKanako's first spell isn't perfectly ordered like I thought.
Each line of bullets isn't perfectly lined up.
I dodged 2, then the 3rd bullet of the line hit me.
So now my capture history on it is 22/23 with ReimuB.
JUST LET ME GET THE PERFECT ALREADY

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
sick and tired of so much annoyances at home that is driving my performance to rock bottom! Can't even perfect stage 1 and 2 of EoSD on lunatic.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
GOD DAMMIT WHY DO I SUCK SO BAD AT SUWAKO'S SURVIVAL CARDS
THAT'S LIKE 4 PERFECTS FAILED THERE AND THAT MANY ON THE REST OF HER

mikeKOSA

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »
Fuck Kaguya and her last spells.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Alright. I'm quite sure now that the only thing preventing me from 1ccing UFO is the fact that I'm using SanaeA. It's because of her that my spell history for Nirvana's Path is better than all of of Byakuren's other spells. I couldn't even beat Byakuren with continues. :fail:

The most surefire way to clear UFO Lunatic is probably to use SanaeB. Her bomb is awesome because it allows you to effortlessly stroll around picking up UFO's while using it unlike ReimuA who slows you down. SanaeB also handles the stages and PSM easier.

.Until the next game comes out. >=D

That sure as hell depends on whether or not ZUN keeps straying off the path of righteousness.  :D

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
EoSD Lunatic: 1cc failed at Scarlet Gensokyo, again. Grrr... got too nervous and wasted my last bombs there ("bullet incoming!!!!" *bomb* "Another bullet!" *bomb*). I'll be back, Remilia. You Sakuya might as well prepare tea and cookies already.

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
EoSD, Why are you stuck on 90 fps? Its fine and everything, I should take the challange. But y'know, haven't played you in awhile.... It would be nice if you didin't do that.

Playing EoSD extra in 90FPS and what happens? One tiny bullet, lots of space between it and other bullets, run right into it, ragequit.

Zil

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
The most surefire way to clear UFO Lunatic is probably to use SanaeB. Her bomb is awesome because it allows you to effortlessly stroll around picking up UFO's while using it unlike ReimuA who slows you down. SanaeB also handles the stages and PSM easier.
Yeah I used her to clear Hard way back when I was doing that. I'm gonna use ReimuA for this though because I don't want to feel like I chickened out. :V
That sure as hell depends on whether or not ZUN keeps straying off the path of righteousness.  :D
I think there's good hope. He made three good games in row before TD, so maybe that was just a fluke. (Hopefully :ohdear:)

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
Yeah I used her to clear Hard way back when I was doing that. I'm gonna use ReimuA for this though because I don't want to feel like I chickened out. :VI think there's good hope. He made three good games in row before TD, so maybe that was just a fluke. (Hopefully :ohdear:)

Yeah or maybe those three in a row was a fluke-streak. Hopefully that isn't the case though. As for SanaeB, she isn't a cheating type, just the only one who doesn't have a stupid handicap. Or rather, its not that many things she makes easier. There is that portion at the end of UFO Stage 5 and the orb spam in Stage 3, that's basically it. As for PSM, the safespot is somewhat easy to use though it does require you to stay awake and make sure to position yourself right.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »
Yeah or maybe those three in a row was a fluke-streak. Hopefully that isn't the case though. As for SanaeB, she isn't a cheating type, just the only one who doesn't have a stupid handicap. Or rather, its not that many things she makes easier. There is that portion at the end of UFO Stage 5 and the orb spam in Stage 3, that's basically it. As for PSM, the safespot is somewhat easy to use though it does require you to stay awake and make sure to position yourself right.

It's been ages since I last played as Sanae B (only played once actually), but with the wide range she covers can she actually not shoot UFOs? If not, I'd actually think she's somewhat impractical to use in parts if you want to time the explosion of an UFO while shooting enemies I think. I really wouldn't refer to her as broken for that reason; she's got advantages and disadvantages, just like most chars. She just happens to have an ability that lets you bypass some parts that would otherwise require proper use of UFOs in exchange for a lower damage output I'd assume.

Which reminds me, is the title an FFXI reference?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:03:34 PM by Lepetit89 »

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
Her UFO capabilities are just fine afaik. Most of the damage probably comes from the characters main shot and not the options, i think - refer to that thread thingy for details.

Zil

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 01:57:17 AM »
Yes I think the title is a FFXI reference. Possibly playing on the fact that FFXI being an online game induced a good deal of rage in FF fans. (Though I gave up on the series after playing FFVII for about a week.)
And I don't think SanaeB has difficulty with UFOs. You never really need to worry about using them to survive since Sanae nukes the enemies during stages herself.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »
I have a feeling I'll be posting here a lot...
First, HOW DID I FAIL ExKANAKO'S FIRST SPELL (again)
Second, Suwako is taunting me by giving me my fastest capture of Jade of the Horrid River, followed by a lucky dodge on Snake Eats the Croaking Frog before giving me a much denser barrage than usual on Froggy Braves the Elements.  I died.  Then I go on to practice the survivals, fail Red Frog as usual, then fail Suwa War to something I couldn't even see (streaming down, death, all sun 'ring' bullets were still there), ragequit because my best run yet turned much worse than my current best.

Third, I failed the fairies right before Kanako.
4th, I had my first failure at Long Arm and Long Leg.
I think I'll be failing at least once on every spell...I really hope I'm wrong about that for Mishaguji-sama though, I don't know if I could bear to get both survivals in the same run as everything before them twice.

Formless God

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 04:51:46 AM »
I don't even know which thread to post this in :getdown:

Did a non-serious run in UFO Extra, 3DNB, with all three deaths on Green. In other words, if I hadn't forgotten how to do that spell, it would've been a stage my first extra stage perfect.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:58:41 AM by Anarchy Formless »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:08:10 AM »
wegixngawkeufngxqkwkigILUDEN CWHFREINCFG !%@#%^!#@%^!$@#%^$

WHY did ZUN think it was a good idea to put something so LUCK BASED that late into the Suwako battle?  I mean, my last 2DNB run both deaths were my fault on favorable RNG, but THIS time I lost the perfect due to WALL at 20 seconds left and WALL at 2 seconds left due to a 'sun' coming pretty much straight down the middle.
So NOW I'm pretty pissed off at this design, but to know that I've at least got the stage mostly down is at least a good thing.

EDIT: Anyone who's perfected Suwako, about how many attempts were foiled by the survival cards?  So far I've had 4 or 5 runs end there of about 15 total at Suwako.

nintendonut888

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
Mmm, I'd say more of them were foiled by her first survival card, but Suwa War is indeed a real pain. My suggestion is to stay at the top for as long as possible. As far as I know, as long as you stay up there no suns will spawn where you are, so you only have to move down once they explicitly become aimed at you.