Author Topic: Costume Fairy Adventures: The Tabletop RPG: The Kickstarter  (Read 4491 times)

Costume Fairy Adventures: The Tabletop RPG: The Kickstarter
« on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
Not 100% sure where this goes, but: Remember that "fairy cosplay RPG" that was floating around a couple years ago? Well, it has expanded from "24-hour RPG" to "actual entire game." I'm one of the writers; there is a Quickstart Edition, starring six pregenerated fairies (I wrote most of their profiles and vital statistics), and also a Kickstarter to develop this whole thing more fully.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: Costume Fairy Adventures: The Tabletop RPG: The Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
Most certainly spreading the word on this one. I have some friends over here that love tabletop games; and I know this would go down nicely with them.

Would back you guys myself if I had the money to do so; because I would most certainly want a physical version of this to play at conventions and what not~ <3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
Sup, guys, just thought I'd give a good cause some friendly advertising.

People who've been around here for a while might remember a tabletop RPG called Fairy Cosplay popping up a few years back. It was a throwaway, 24-hour RPG about fairies dressing up and wreaking havoc. Although it wasn't intended as such, the setting had a very Touhou-ish feel to it. We had a few sessions of test playing around the forum and it was generally well received. Hell, a lot of the stuff in the game influenced my attempts to write RPGs (although those were not as successful and will not be discussed further).

Anyway, a few weeks ago I found out that what was once a 24-hour project is now going to be a fullblown game! Complete with lovely illustrations from a variety of artists and a variety of playsets to inspire potential game masters, Costume Fairy Adventures is currently going through a Kickstarter. If you want a taste of the setting and how the game works, there's a Quickstart with the rules and a sample playset here.
(You'll probably notice a nice little nod or two to Touhou here and there. Deliberately, this time. :P)

If you like what you see, go check out their Kickstarter here! There's still plenty of time to donate, and the stretch goal playlists look pretty awesome. (
Spoiler:
Phoenix Wright and fairies?
HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY)

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
$5,170.

Just swinging by to say congratulations for crossing the halfway mark. I'm spreading the word around where possible; so I do hope this'll get past 10k before the deadline creeps around. ^^

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »
Hi. I'm David J Prokopetz, President of Penguin King Games. You might remember me from... well, nothing, actually, because this is our first game. ^^;

Seriously, though, I just noticed this thread, and I thought I'd pop in to answer any questions that folks might have. Also, there are several PbP sessions of the Quickstart Edition that are currently recruiting players on various forums - if you're interested in joining a game, I can point y'all in the right direction.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
It's so nice to see this still climbing; now sitting at $6,254. You must be very pleased with this so far~ XD

I do have a question that involves the usual discussion of international sales. I mean, not straight away, obviously; everything has to start in a local area first. But if this did take off, and became very popular, how likely would it be to see this being sold overseas? I know of a number of card and/or tabletop games that eventually hit that point; but I guess the demand for it has to be there first.

Another question would be : if the stretch goals for future packs aren't hit, will they be made at some point in the future after the actual product has been on sale? If the stretch goals do near completion, would you be aiming for more side packs, or would you prioritize other aspects, for example, physical releases?

Also, welcome to MotK. We be friendly here~ :3

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 02:33:14 AM »
I do have a question that involves the usual discussion of international sales. I mean, not straight away, obviously; everything has to start in a local area first. But if this did take off, and became very popular, how likely would it be to see this being sold overseas? I know of a number of card and/or tabletop games that eventually hit that point; but I guess the demand for it has to be there first.

Depends. We're really too small an outfit to maintain a large inventory, so the bulk of post-Kickstarter deadtree sales are going to be via print-on-demand fulfillment. Unfortunately, while there are a number of print-on-demand fulfillers outside of North America who can do hardcover game books, very few can do TCG-style cards, which we require due to the Costume Deck.

Gamers outside North America will likely be stuck paying overseas shipping for the physical version for the foreseeable future - but who knows? The final release date is nearly a year away, and the overseas print-on-demand landscape may have improved by then. Certainly, if you're aware of a PoD outfit in your neck of the woods that can do cards, please let us know and we'll see if we can arrange something with them.

Another question would be : if the stretch goals for future packs aren't hit, will they be made at some point in the future after the actual product has been on sale? If the stretch goals do near completion, would you be aiming for more side packs, or would you prioritize other aspects, for example, physical releases?

Everything you see in the Kickstarter will receive a both physical and print-and-play versions. Missing the stretch goals just means it will take longer. The only thing in the Kickstarter that's not slated for sale via regular channels are the figurines - so, you know, get 'em while the getting's good. ;)

Also, welcome to MotK. We be friendly here~ :3

Thanks for the welcome, but I've actually been lurking since 2011 - I'm passingly familiar with the score. :)

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
If anybody here was doing the wait-and-see thing, I thought I'd mention that we just hit 100% funding. :D

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:38 AM »
If anybody here was doing the wait-and-see thing, I thought I'd mention that we just hit 100% funding. :D

Congratulations!  Makes me wish I had friends who could be convinced to play it...
Normal 1cc: EoSD (ReimuA, MarisaA), IN (Border Team)
My first 1cc!

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:59:04 AM »
Congratulations!  Makes me wish I had friends who could be convinced to play it...

Well, if they prefer more traditional RPGs, there is a dungeon crawl Playset. It even has owlbears!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:00:40 AM by David J Prokopetz »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
This is brilliant news! I've been sharing this over on my Facebook and Twitter for the past couple of weeks. So happy to finally see this funded~ XD

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »
This is brilliant news! I've been sharing this over on my Facebook and Twitter for the past couple of weeks. So happy to finally see this funded~ XD

Thanks for the support. We're closing in on the first stretch goal, too, in spite of a big flurry of last-minute cancellations. Can we rack up $1500 in 18 hours? Well... stranger things have happened! ^^;