Author Topic: The Worst Gensokyans  (Read 40730 times)

Re: The Worst Gensokyans
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:56 AM »
Indeed, Miko is unfailingly polite and friendly to everyone except Byakuren. Actually, I wonder if people dislike Miko because they identify too much with Byakuren? There was a pretty big gap between UFO and TD, during which time Byakuren became more and solidified into the "saintly" role, so Miko being introduced as her rival made her seem shady by default. When frankly she's more of a clear-cut straightforward saint-type.

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:36 AM »
Isn't the whole "Byakuren is Youkai Jesus" thing just a western fanbase meme? Because Byakuren isn't even that saintly, we at the very least know that she's vain given that she intentionally used magic to make herself an attractive voluptuous woman. And her whole thing about converting youkai to Buddhism is pretty much a failure though she refuses to see that.

Indeed Byakuren in canon seems to be more of a visionary whose vision is impossible: her teachings go against the base nature of youkai and thus she's just a fool wasting her time.

« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
Eh, Miko is only really mean-spirited to Byakuren. And that's because she hates Byakuren's obsession with keeping up a shiny appearance

Actually, she's somewhat hostile to Buddhism and its practitioners, for obvious reasons. She had nothing personal toward Byakuren, it's only because she's a Buddhist. That also applies the other way.

At first, I don't find Miko likeable which may stem from how she wasn't interpreted in a good light as well. But thanks to SoPM and then HM, she became more fleshed out and turned out to be a pretty okay character. I like it when she's shown to be very confident and in control, because she is capable so she's not exactly being arrogant, yet still carefree enough to keep the mood light. Though I like her being made fun of more.
About being Prince Shotoku, even though I tend to think that's bad for her development, it also makes her relationship with certain characters stronger and more meaningful. So that's one positive thing about it.

?she's vain given that she intentionally used magic to make herself an attractive voluptuous woman.

?though she refuses to see that.
That's all you see? Seriously?

I wonder why so many people think of her like that. Because of that certain parts in SoPM?
This?
"http://en.touhouwiki.net/images/thumb/5/58/ThGKPartIII.png/896px-ThGKPartIII.png"
Isn't it pretty clear that she honestly didn't know? And wasn't just being ignorant or refused it? Being oblivious and being ignorant are two different things.
It's more likely for her to discipline them after the meeting, even though it's not stated. Why do you think she'll just leave them be?
This is more apparent in HM where she told Ichirin to control herself and rid of her wordly thoughts.

I don't mind people criticizing Byakuren, you're very welcome, but try to give more reasonable arguments.
And I don't know about being more "saintly", the definition varies depending on the person, but I like her ideals. That's what matters to me, personally. Doesn't necessarily mean she's objectively better, of course.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:35:21 PM by monhan »

« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
I wonder why so many people think of her like that. Because of that certain parts in SoPM?

We discussed this already, but the idea is that back when she was just trying to live forever as a youkai she used magic to become young and beauiftul (as opposed to just immortal, which was an option). And then she kept using magic to stay young and beautiful even after she decided to be religious again. And, as it turns out, being suspiciously youthful forver is what got her caught and interfered with her ability to save youkai. So if she was less vain she'd have been more effective.

And, well, she's still doing it. PMISS makes it clear that immortal magician youkai naturally appear as old as they were when they became immortal, so it's definitely an active choice on her part.

« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »
We discussed this already, but the idea is that back when she was just trying to live forever as a youkai she used magic to become young and beauiftul (as opposed to just immortal, which was an option). And then she kept using magic to stay young and beautiful even after she decided to be religious again. And, as it turns out, being suspiciously youthful forver is what got her caught and interfered with her ability to save youkai. So if she was less vain she'd have been more effective.

And, well, she's still doing it. PMISS makes it clear that immortal magician youkai naturally appear as old as they were when they became immortal, so it's definitely an active choice on her part.

Umm, I was referring to the "she refuses to see her disciple making mistakes" part, Clarste.

I understand what you're trying to say, but we don't exactly know what was the trigger that blew her cover. There are many other possibilities, though I won't rule out that one.

« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:45 AM »
Umm, I was referring to the "she refuses to see her disciple making mistakes" part, Clarste.

I understand what you're trying to say, but we don't exactly know what was the trigger that blew her cover. There are many other possibilities, though I won't rule out that one.

Then you quoted the wrong part? Also, her dialog in SoPM makes it clear that she's ignoring it.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
Indeed, Miko is unfailingly polite and friendly to everyone except Byakuren. Actually, I wonder if people dislike Miko because they identify too much with Byakuren? There was a pretty big gap between UFO and TD, during which time Byakuren became more and solidified into the "saintly" role, so Miko being introduced as her rival made her seem shady by default. When frankly she's more of a clear-cut straightforward saint-type.

I know multiple people that actively pretend SoPM doesn't exist because they don't like how eerily similar Miko and Byakuren are, with the only real differences being their religions of choice and how open they are about their sliminess.

It's kind of strange; Byakuren landed near the bottom of my charts with UFO but has risen since based on SoPM/HM, which seems to be the opposite of most everyone else that has a strong opinion of her. Frankly, I find Youkai Jesus painfully boring and believe Byakuren's far better off with character flaws.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:31:32 AM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
A good way to describe how Miko and Byakuren see each other (and, by proxy, their factions) is they view each other as heathens.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »

We are assuming the youth inducing magic is an active magic in this situation. Who's to say it's not a permanent magic that warp appearances physically and leave it at that... and she has been too used to this form. Also, who is to say all immortal inducing magic functions the same way?
Regardless, we don't know how her specific magic works so unless there is specific canon discuss that then it is meaningless to discuss about it, but the thing is, is youth so wrong? She herself already is immortal, what harm is to retain youth when back then it also serves for functional purpose as well (remember: Youth=energies; allowing her to go around saving Youkai and act as a reliable human guardian back in the day; and serve purpose in Danmaku duels even until today). Did she use magic to enhance her beauties though aside from just youth magic? We don't know so there is no case to call her vain in wanting youth...in short, we don't know how her magic works exactly so your conjectures and interpretations are as good as mine, and vice versa
"being suspiciously youthful forver is what got her caught and interfered with her ability to save youkai"
Fanon guess

"her dialog in SoPM makes it clear that she's ignoring it."
Make it clear? That's some pretty bold claim, quote?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:37:25 PM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
Then you quoted the wrong part? Also, her dialog in SoPM makes it clear that she's ignoring it.

...used magic to make herself an attractive voluptuous woman.
That's all you see? Seriously?

And her whole thing about converting youkai to Buddhism is pretty much a failure though she refuses to see that.
I wonder why so many people...

Hope that clear things up a bit.
Her dialogue in SoPM... If you mean ignoring as in "let's not talk about it for now, it's not the right time", then yes, she did. But if you mean "No, they can't possibly do that. I refuse to acknowledge" and then didn't do anything about it, then I have to say no. It's too soon to assume she'd ignore them making those violations altogether. And HM shows that she is indeed strict about it.

A good way to describe how Miko and Byakuren see each other (and, by proxy, their factions) is they view each other as heathens.

I know multiple people that actively pretend SoPM doesn't exist because they don't like how eerily similar Miko and Byakuren are, with the only real differences being their religions of choice and how open they are about their sliminess.

It's kind of strange; Byakuren landed near the bottom of my charts with UFO but has risen since based on SoPM/HM, which seems to be the opposite of most everyone else that has a strong opinion of her. Frankly, I find Youkai Jesus painfully boring and believe Byakuren's far better off with character flaws.

Well, though it may sound a bit harsh, if you are really true to your religion, seeing anyone outside yours as heathens is the default view. In that way, they both are just doing what's normal. And remember, just because we do so, it doesn't necessarily mean we'll be unreasonably hostile toward each other. We should still accept each other as fellow human beings.

Hmm, I like the Youkai Jesus thing, because it was funny(You can take Seiga claiming Miko is better than Jesus as a SHOUT OUT! to that meme, for instance) and personally is quite meaningful to me. I just take that as them saying she's a really good, well mannered, and selfless person, but definitely not a perfect saint. What's a "perfect saint" anyway? No human can ever be that, and that's why she's so relatable. All her wrongdoings and flaws, then her redemption, make her more human, and thus easy to relate yourself to and appreciate. I've seen her like that with just the stories in UFO.

I dunno about those people, Kilga. But when SoPM came around, even though it stirred things up a bit, it was a good opportunity to develop her more and also to see how she'd respond to others questioning her ideals. And I actually think it was done well. Through the whole symposium, her stance is just being on defensive, never offensive. Which means she understands that there are people who'd likely disagree with her(if not, she wouldn't bother covering that in the past), but will also not blame others for thinking that way. She'll just explain herself for them.
This is also a major good points for Miko. Because even though she is opposed to the idea, she was willing to listen. I'm sure that's one chance that Byakuren rarely had back in the past.
The databooks gave more details on her, and overall I appreciate what SoPM did. Well, mostly(Certain other characters... eh...).
HM also give more development for her, though it's mostly on her abilities. Just physical-enhancing magic? Have a taste of Buddha ChopTM

Drake

« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Make it clear? That's some pretty bold claim, quote?
Byakuren lists off the six virtues in Buddhism, each one is either contradicted by the youkai's actions or is pointed out as trivial, and she just goes "well ok". Then the various wild things the youkai do are pointed out, and she explicitly says just to ignore it and/or that she has no idea what they get up to, when their actions are obvious to everyone else.  I don't know how it's possible to read this entire section and not see that she's willfully ignoring their actions and is content just assuming that they're virtuous without caring if they actually are.

We are assuming the youth inducing magic is an active magic in this situation. Who's to say it's not a permanent magic that warp appearances physically and leave it at that... and she has been too used to this form. Also, who is to say all immortal inducing magic functions the same way?
Regardless, we don't know how her specific magic works so unless there is specific canon discuss that then it is meaningless to discuss about it
It's specified that without her magic she's just a normal human, and her spells require incantations in order to perform. She isn't immortal, nor is she actually ageless; even back in her original game profile it's specified that she first learned "rejuvenation" (若返り, lit. return to youth). It's definitely something she actively uses. Moreover, of course we know there are many different kinds of magic; that's kind of the point of noting her going past Buddhist magic and off the deep end, and why we're saying this is a different magic than say, Magicians that learn immortality magic, or hermits that use other techniques to prevent aging.

"being suspiciously youthful forver is what got her caught and interfered with her ability to save youkai"
While I'm not certain if it's ever said her lack of aging was one of the reasons people found out she possessed black magic, it's pretty absurd for you to say this is fanon when it would be impossible for this to not become a problem eventually.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:03:20 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

Her dialogue in SoPM... If you mean ignoring as in "let's not talk about it for now, it's not the right time", then yes, she did. But if you mean "No, they can't possibly do that. I refuse to acknowledge" and then didn't do anything about it, then I have to say no. It's too soon to assume she'd ignore them making those violations altogether. And HM shows that she is indeed strict about it.

(Note: I haven't actually read SoPM though I plan to soon. I'm just going off what I've read and summaries of that book)

If Byakuren isn't actively ignoring her disciples' failures, then she's doing a fantastically terrible job of actually teaching them. Her youkai acolytes apparently drink often and meat while throwing parties; now I'm not Buddhist, but I know enough to know that eating meat and drinking are banned in Buddhism. That's like a Muslim not being harsh on his fellows for eating bacon or some other banned food. And Byakuren herself is a non-alcoholic and a vegetarian, so she's following the tenets but her acolytes aren't? Christ, her closest subordinate, Shou, drinks too. She can't even keep her sorta-second-in-command in line!

And to be honest, to utterly ignore this requires being willfully ignorant. Byakuren to me comes off as either:

1: A slimy person vainly propping up her temple just to look good (though this doesn't really fit with her canon portrayal, so it's a little too grimderp for me)

2: A deluded hippy-like "why can't we all just get aloooooong, man?" person who responds to any criticism with "woah, stop, you're like, totally killing the vibe, man" (which is ripe for hilarious doujins/fanfics to be honest)

Though to be fair both of these are exaggerating her traits.

Also she handled her beef with Miko in an astoundingly immature fashion, though both of them act like petulant 5-year-olds throwing temper tantrums in regards to each other anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:12:03 PM by Razzi Zadhna »

Drake

« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2014, 11:32:47 PM »
To be fair about the temple position, it's said she didn't exactly know what was there, but that Nazrin told them there was something "incredible" buried there. When they investigated further they figured it was "dangerous" and decided to seal it instead. It still doesn't remove the possibility that Byakuren chose to try and seal it because of something about Miko in particular, but it does mean that she didn't land there with the purpose of suppressing her, as people suspected when TD was released.

« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
To be fair about the temple position, it's said she didn't exactly know what was there, but that Nazrin told them there was something "incredible" buried there. When they investigated further they figured it was "dangerous" and decided to seal it instead. It still doesn't remove the possibility that Byakuren chose to try and seal it because of something about Miko in particular, but it does mean that she didn't land there with the purpose of suppressing her, as people suspected when TD was released.

It did give us the delightfully snarky 'I don't think my intuition was wrong" line though. Remember folks: Byakuren started the slapfight.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2014, 04:16:46 AM »
Byakuren lists off the six virtues in Buddhism, each one is either contradicted by the youkai's actions or is pointed out as trivial, and she just goes "well ok". Then the various wild things the youkai do are pointed out, and she explicitly says just to ignore it and/or that she has no idea what they get up to, when their actions are obvious to everyone else.  I don't know how it's possible to read this entire section and not see that she's willfully ignoring their actions and is content just assuming that they're virtuous without caring if they actually are.
Regarding the virtues, Hijiri did make it clear that since they are still in training so they can't exactly uphold those values yet. Most of Marisa claims of her being attacked was back before Hijiri was even out of Makai so having them being in the wild for a thousands of year... it ain't exactly fair to expect these youkais to adapt to the new Buddhist practitioner lifestyles instantly. Miko's remark was just plain insultingly rude and inflammatory so it was fair for anyone to ignore it. May be she does have some faint ideas base on her remark of how they are practitioners so they still make mistakes... but wasn't aware of the problem being bad in such extent like various things that have been popped up in the discussion. But to claim that she was lying and knew what the youkais was up to all along is too farfetched.
Also, if Touhou 12 Sanae A ending is any indication, it seems Kanako has the ability to sense falsehood in people's speech (not sure if actual basic ability or just very keen snake goddess instinct) and was pretty confident in gauging, and checking for lies on Hijiri's stories before deducing she was a good person. Since Kanako was there for the discussion and if her sense is anything to go by; wouldn't Kanako be able to call on Hijiri if she was spouting falsehoods and lies regarding she doesn't really know about her disciples? Also, regarding to precepts, Hijiri is one of the few who adheres to the Buddhism precepts pretty strictly... one of the precepts are to not lies and deceive; so to accuse her of pretending to not know of her disciples just for the sake of appearance is a pretty strong accusation.
Regardless, I find it pretty harsh to judge her base on what her disciples do since from the beginning she already set on a goal of changing the lifestyles in beings who have lived for hundreds to thousands of years... it is a grand goal so to expect instantaneous change is a bit too drastic (this does reflects with the real life situation in Buddhism temples as well where new monks tend to violates precepts and secretly indulging in worldly desires and misdeeds a lot... and I belive Zun was intentionally referencing these problems as base for the Myouren temple). But like Monhan pointed out in the beginning of the thread; she has had success convincing her followers to live a better less destructive lifestyles while still being a Youkai (as oppose to ceasing to exist just because they don't do their Youkai functions anymore like some have claim). Changes are gradual and she is doing it... but expecting instantaneous results and judge her for her disciples sneak actions are just unjust.

It's specified that without her magic she's just a normal human, and her spells require incantations in order to perform. She isn't immortal, nor is she actually ageless; even back in her original game profile it's specified that she first learned "rejuvenation" (若返り, lit. return to youth). It's definitely something she actively uses.
Thanks and duly noted regarding the incantation; that actually is something I myself have been pondering for quite a while. Anyway what I was trying to prove was really was more regarding how Clarste claim she just do it out of vain; where it does indeed have functional purpose. I don't mean to digress the topic but since my background kinda revolves with Buddhism somewhat, there are stories that do point out practices of life extension and rejuvenation that does more than just vain-for-the-sake-of-living purpose. Clarste was saying it was for but vain beauty

While I'm not certain if it's ever said her lack of aging was one of the reasons people found out she possessed black magic, it's pretty absurd for you to say this is fanon when it would be impossible for this to not become a problem eventually.
yes, it could be possible but the problem is "could". It is just a hypothesis on what might have went wrong; but Clarste was specifically pointing out her action of, per quote:
"And, as it turns out, being suspiciously youthful forver is what got her caught and interfered with her ability to save youkai. So if she was less vain she'd have been more effective."
...using speculations of what might have happen as basis for calling out her for being vain is baseless accusatory, it is just pure speculations hence "fanon". Also most of my entire paragraph was trying to refute his claim of calling her vain and her failures because of that:
"whatever positive traits Byakuren may have, she's still a woman who sacrificed her humanity to give herself a boob job."

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:09 AM »
Remember folks: Byakuren started the slapfight.

but it was the Moriya Shrine Conspiracy for setting up the temple there To be fair, it was pretty accidental; and if you were to find out there is something sealed beneath your house that has mysterious power from it and others said it was dangerous... the last thing you would want to do is open it up to see what's inside

« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2014, 04:26:45 AM »
but it was the Moriya Shrine Conspiracy for setting up the temple there To be fair, it was pretty accidental; and if you were to find out there is something sealed beneath your house that has mysterious power from it and others said it was dangerous... the last thing you would want to do is open it up to see what's inside

I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that she's the one who said, to Miko's face, that while they didn't know what was down there she still believes it (ie: Miko) is dangerous. If that's not a sick burn I don't know what is. This triggered the enmity that lasted through most of the dialog. If she hadn't said that then I think Miko might've taken the whole temple thing as a compliment and moved on.

IE: For someone who talks about peace between humans and youkai, she sure does like provoking Miko for no reason.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:33:00 AM by Clarste »

Drake

« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2014, 06:28:14 AM »
Regarding the virtues, Hijiri did make it clear that since they are still in training so they can't exactly uphold those values yet. Most of Marisa claims of her being attacked was back before Hijiri was even out of Makai so having them being in the wild for a thousands of year... it ain't exactly fair to expect these youkais to adapt to the new Buddhist practitioner lifestyles instantly.
Whether they have a hard time learning or not, the point is that Byakuren is content with not keeping up with what her disciples actually get up to. At no point did Byakuren actually support the notion that her disciples are actually in training by upholding these virtues. Meanwhile, nobody else seems to see them upholding said virtues, yet they do see them betraying those virtues. This is pretty clear-cut.

Miko's remark was just plain insultingly rude and inflammatory so it was fair for anyone to ignore it.
Um, what remark? She started the conversation by asking how they train, and Marisa, Kanako and Miko all just pointed out how they don't adhere to that training. Mostly Marisa.

May be she does have some faint ideas base on her remark of how they are practitioners so they still make mistakes... but wasn't aware of the problem being bad in such extent like various things that have been popped up in the discussion. But to claim that she was lying and knew what the youkais was up to all along is too farfetched.
"Wasn't aware of how problematic they were being" is part of what we're saying; nobody said she's outright lying. Again, the point is that her not being aware what her youkai even do outside the temple when everyone else in the room does, shows a big contradiction in her supposed intentions. She doesn't even acknowledge their failures until they're pointed out to her, and only then does she say to go easy on them. Her responses are, in order:
- Oh it isn't about money, it's about humans being able to live without fearing us killing them.
- They're still in training, so please forgive them trying to kill you on occasion.
- (ignored)
- (ignored)
- Well this might be considered training in ways such as meditation.
- Never mind that / Don't dwell on it.
She has zero appropriate responses. It's comical.

Next, are you saying that she's strict about disciplining her youkai, or that she wants critics to be lenient? Because these are contradictory, yet you (and Byakuren) argue for both. This is the problem: on the surface she seems strict, and she probably does harp on her disciples when she finds out what they're doing wrong as "punishment", but she doesn't care to actually be informed on their behaviour and just wants to save face when confronted about their behaviour not matching what she believes, rather than admitting there's something horribly flawed with her approach. Her excuses are for her own sake, not her disciples.

to accuse her of pretending to not know of her disciples just for the sake of appearance is a pretty strong accusation
You've misunderstood what we mean about "willfully ignoring" and "refusing to see" their behaviour. The above should clear it up.

Regardless, I find it pretty harsh to judge her base on what her disciples do since from the beginning she already set on a goal of changing the lifestyles in beings who have lived for hundreds to thousands of years... it is a grand goal so to expect instantaneous change is a bit too drastic [...] she has had success convincing her followers to live a better less destructive lifestyles while still being a Youkai (as oppose to ceasing to exist just because they don't do their Youkai functions anymore like some have claim). Changes are gradual and she is doing it... but expecting instantaneous results and judge her for her disciples sneak actions are just unjust.
Again, Byakuren's given no indication that her disciples are any better off than other youkai. Nobody's judging her for what her disciples do, we're judging her because she's a dishonest person that puts on a guise of honesty.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:41:32 AM by Drake »

« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »
Thanks and duly noted regarding the incantation; that actually is something I myself have been pondering for quite a while. Anyway what I was trying to prove was really was more regarding how Clarste claim she just do it out of vain; where it does indeed have functional purpose. I don't mean to digress the topic but since my background kinda revolves with Buddhism somewhat, there are stories that do point out practices of life extension and rejuvenation that does more than just vain-for-the-sake-of-living purpose. Clarste was saying it was for but vain beauty

...you do realize that she wasn't being a good Buddhist at the time, right? She gave into her fear of death and sought out dark magics to live forever. Instead of meditating on her mortality and trying to transcend it. Heck, she gave into "the desire to live" and acted just like Miko. Whether or not being immortal is inherently wrong in Buddhism is irrelevant (although we're told in WaHH that Touhou-Hell considers it a sin), because the point of Byakuren's backstory is that when push came to shove she forgot all her Buddhist teachings and turned to black magic instead. She sought immortality, for improper reasons using improper methods. Her UFO profile literally says "in the beginning, it was born from her own greed."

Now, later she had a change of heart and decided to honestly preach Buddhism again, but for that period of her life she was anything but a good Buddhist. Like Drake said, she was pretty much the same person as Miko. She used the trappings of Buddhism to further her own ambition. Now, the fact that she did have a change of heart is certainly relevant, and you're free to judge her based on who she is now instead of who she was then, but trying to retroactively justify the decisions she made back then when it is 100% canon that it was purely from greed and fear and self-interest strikes me as being a stubborn apologist.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
At no point did Byakuren actually support the notion that her disciples are actually in training by upholding these virtues. Meanwhile, nobody else seems to see them upholding said virtues, yet they do see them betraying those virtues. This is pretty clear-cut.
Well she never did make any claim of her disciples can hold all these virtues, and it was also make pretty clear-cut that they are "in-training", as she said

Um, what remark?

"Only publicly. But it sure was the best for taking hold of human nature. "

Mostly Marisa.
Most of the problem Marisa raised happened during UFO though

"Wasn't aware of how problematic they were being" is part of what we're saying; nobody said she's outright lying. Again, the point is that her not being aware what her youkai even do outside the temple when everyone else in the room does, shows a big contradiction in her supposed intentions.
...but how is it contradictory when she fails to witness her disciples doing stuffs "outside of the temple" when all she can do is try to guide them toward the right path with teaching within the temple. Given how most of the time she spent would be practicing inside the temple... it is only natural her students can sneakily doing stuffs outside

She doesn't even acknowledge their failures until they're pointed out to her, and only then does she say to go easy on them. Her responses are, in order:
- Oh it isn't about money, it's about humans being able to live without fearing us killing them.
- They're still in training, so please forgive them trying to kill you on occasion.
- (ignored)
- (ignored)
- Well this might be considered training in ways such as meditation.
- Never mind that / Don't dwell on it.
She has zero appropriate responses. It's comical.

How can she acknowledge her failures when she wasn't aware of it.
-"The gift of fearlessness" Hijiri mentioned is a real Buddhism thing... not something that made up on the spot... twisting it into something like her saying how their generosity is letting people lives is quite... twisted
-Like stated, that was during UFO, where she hasn't even returned and they were all roaming Youkai/sealed youkai except for Shou; and even then Marisa's choice of word is largely dramatic when all they have was standard Gensokyo's Danmaku matches
-Marisa was repeating herself, of course she is ignored
-Marisa's remark didn't invalidate what she said anyhow, rather... Marisa didn't understand the full extent of that virtue.
-Ok
-Yeah, this was the only statement seems at odd. But it could mean Hijiri has been having some idea of their activities to some extent but the talk gradually reveals more to much of her surprises
Everyone then start talking about general activities of the Youkai in association with her doing weird stuffs... well at this point she did said she has no idea (and like I said, she's sincere of that).

Next, are you saying that she's strict about disciplining her youkai, or that she wants critics to be lenient? Because these are contradictory, yet you (and Byakuren) argue for both. This is the problem: on the surface she seems strict, and she probably does harp on her disciples when she finds out what they're doing wrong as "punishment", but she doesn't care to actually be informed on their behaviour and just wants to save face when confronted about their behaviour not matching what she believes, rather than admitting there's something horribly flawed with her approach. Her excuses are for her own sake, not her disciples.
I don't argue for Hijiri being strict... rather I think she is very lenient and lax in her approach; thus why all of her disciples went... worldly. What I do try to support though is that she infact hasn't much ideas of what happened; and it is normal for any newcomers to Buddhism to went astray (the gap between UFO and SoPM wasnt' much, I believe), since there were argues saying how she is plainly actively ignoring her problems or hide it... what I want to say is that she is just unaware. Sure when it was revealed at the end that her disciples was partaking on such actions and she said she wasn't aware... she was probably trying to save face but at the same time it is kind of hard considering how she has just heard of it... there would be no other actions for her to do unless we were to expect a public apologies; which does make sense but at the heat of the moment perhaps she just didn't have a chance considering the conversation was suddenly cut short by Miko's question to the next part and she was still bewildered (as according to the picture). Her last statement could also be interpreted as her trying to piece things together as well... not just making excuses "I dunno" and leave it at that.

Again, Byakuren's given no indication that her disciples are any better off than other youkai. Nobody's judging her for what her disciples do, we're judging her because she's an amazingly dishonest person that puts on a guise of honesty.
but that is rather unfair considering her disciples are indeed than other youkais since it made pretty clears in the next part that she did refuse entry for Youkai who intends to do harm to human or join for malicious intent. From extra reading there are youkais preying for preys outside her temple as well... but regarding her disciples, all they have is the remnant of their worldly desires they are still attached to; but causing no harm (or minimal in Murasa's case, but like said, she is still progressing). That alone proves how by default they are much better off than "any better off than other youkai". All in all, she never ever said her disciples are perfect and they are all "still in-training"... even in Touhou 13.5 she did call out Ichirin for still having worldly thoughts, in public. There are issues with her followers, sure; but saying she is dishonest because she can't micromanage them all is just rather hurting since she does admit her followers have problem. If she were to actively denied others accusations though then that would be plainly dishonest... but she didn't do that

...she is idealistic yet clumsy and still need to refine her actions in other to carried out her goals more effectively, sure. But dishonest, cunning and willingly ignorant is something that is just too harsh to define her with

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2014, 08:05:25 AM »
...you do realize that she wasn't being a good Buddhist at the time, right? She gave into her fear of death and sought out dark magics to live forever. Instead of meditating on her mortality and trying to transcend it. Heck, she gave into "the desire to live" and acted just like Miko. Whether or not being immortal is inherently wrong in Buddhism is irrelevant (although we're told in WaHH that Touhou-Hell considers it a sin), because the point of Byakuren's backstory is that when push came to shove she forgot all her Buddhist teachings and turned to black magic instead. She sought immortality, for improper reasons using improper methods. Her UFO profile literally says "in the beginning, it was born from her own greed."

Now, later she had a change of heart and decided to honestly preach Buddhism again, but for that period of her life she was anything but a good Buddhist. Like Drake said, she was pretty much the same person as Miko. She used the trappings of Buddhism to further her own ambition. Now, the fact that she did have a change of heart is certainly relevant, and you're free to judge her based on who she is now instead of who she was then, but trying to retroactively justify the decisions she made back then when it is 100% canon that it was purely from greed and fear and self-interest strikes me as being a stubborn apologist.

Of course she wasn't being a good Buddhist and went astray from the path, there is no denial in that and I would never try to argue as such. But the whole point is she has changed.
But regarding Vain, you did say even after she has a changed of heart and strive for goodness and yet she still choose to retain her youth for cosmetic and "boobjob"... that's when I strive to prove that their is more to youth than just vain look but functional purposes

P.S The main difference between Hijiri and Miko is that Hijiri seeks out immortality for her own sake... but later on yearn to use that power to help teaching others; whereas Miko claim to seeks immortality to help leading others... but ended up helping no one and only live her current Gensokyo life ruling over though who seeks her power (and she treated them as servants without imparting any of her knowledges; as per SoPM)
Essentially:
>Hijiri: Now I want to use my immortality to share my Buddhism with others for them to live better; and having peace among human and youkai
>Miko: Buddhism are tools for controlling people. Everyone should join Taoism lead by me where I won't even teach you a single bit of Taoism since the people having one immortal ruler (me) who is controlling them is already more than enough (SoPM).
Edit: In short, the fact that Hijiri followers doesn't follow her commands (or rather Hijiri doesn't command her followers) rather show the main difference between Hijiri and Miko: Hijiri shares the knowledge of her religion while not controlling her followers; and Miko controls her followers without sharing the knowledge of her religion
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:11:15 AM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
True, but I think you're misunderstanding the point of the "Taoist" faction. It's not like they have any devotion to Taoism as a religion, or care whether or not anyone else worships it. To Miko, Taoism is simply "power". Buddhism is also "power", except a different kind of power. To Miko, Taoism and Buddhism are both tools to be used for their proper purposes. Specifically, Taoism teaches how to control nature and life, while Buddhism teaches how to control people. Ultimately she has no faith in anything but herself.

And that's exactly why she wants to lead people. If she's the only one who can be trusted, the only reliable way to help people is to tell them what to do. Heck, that's not even what she wants to do, she'd rather sit back and become a celestial, but out of the goodness of her heart she decided to take time out of her busy schedule and give people orders. She seriously thinks that's in their best interest, because she believes everyone else is less competent than her. You can see this attitude in SoPM: she offered to rule the human village, but was convinced this was unnecessary so quickly gave up on it. Ruling the world isn't actually a goal of hers at all, it's a charity she runs.

While obviously it takes no small amount of arrogance to actually believe something like this, I think it's misleading to say she doesn't care about helping people. If she didn't care, we'd never even see her.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
True, but I think you're misunderstanding the point of the "Taoist" faction. It's not like they have any devotion to Taoism as a religion, or care whether or not anyone else worships it. To Miko, Taoism is simply "power". Buddhism is also "power", except a different kind of power. To Miko, Taoism and Buddhism are both tools to be used for their proper purposes. Specifically, Taoism teaches how to control nature and life, while Buddhism teaches how to control people. Ultimately she has no faith in anything but herself.

And that's exactly why she wants to lead people. If she's the only one who can be trusted, the only reliable way to help people is to tell them what to do. Heck, that's not even what she wants to do, she'd rather sit back and become a celestial, but out of the goodness of her heart she decided to take time out of her busy schedule and give people orders. She seriously thinks that's in their best interest, because she believes everyone else is less competent than her. You can see this attitude in SoPM: she offered to rule the human village, but was convinced this was unnecessary so quickly gave up on it. Ruling the world isn't actually a goal of hers at all, it's a charity she runs.

While obviously it takes no small amount of arrogance to actually believe something like this, I think it's misleading to say she doesn't care about helping people. If she didn't care, we'd never even see her.
That actually is a really interesting way of looking at her through the perspective of what she only cares and what is in it for her at the point. Duly noted for new knowledge, thanks

Drake

« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
> Well she never did make any claim of her disciples can hold all these virtues, and it was also make pretty clear-cut that they are "in-training", as she said
Of course she does. By listing a bunch of precepts that they apparently swore to follow, she creates her expectations of them, and then she defends those expectations. Perhaps not all of them to the letter, but she clearly believes that they are actually training as she describes; otherwise she wouldn't even be surprised.
You're also understating how little of their training they follow. As I said before, they don't follow anything substantial out of what Byakuren lists. It isn't that they can't hold all of the virtues, it's that they seemingly can't hold any.

And again, the youkai are fine; youkai are youkai and everyone but Byakuren expects them to behave this way. The "in-training" is her excusing herself, not excusing her disciples. Does she intend to discipline them for straying, or does she want to suppress criticism for them straying? You can't have both. Byakuren says that they swear by these precepts, and she says that they should be punished, and yet excuses their behaviour because she doesn't want to look like a fool for being the one responsible for their training. She is explaining what they're apparently supposed to be doing in their training, but they don't follow it, so it looks like a waste of time to everyone else. Byakuren makes excuses for them so she doesn't look bad, not so that the others think her disciples act, uh, exactly how they already know they act.

> "Only publicly. But it sure was the best for taking hold of human nature. "
This isn't inflammatory or insulting. This is what Miko used Buddhism for, and acknowledges that it was manipulative and probably wouldn't be seen in a good light. She doesn't imply Byakuren uses it for the same purpose. Regardless, this quote is irrelevant to the section we're talking about and I'm not sure why you brought it up.

> Most of the problem Marisa raised happened during UFO though
What? She never says anything about UFO's events, which were nearly three years before SoPM. She just says previously / recently / just a while ago. Regardless, that doesn't even matter. Byakuren says her youkai are apparently putting the concept of "not attacking people" into practice, yet they aren't. She says they vow not to kill, steal, lie or drink, yet they do (or try). And obviously they lie, if Byakuren believes them.

> ...but how is it contradictory when she fails to witness her disciples doing stuffs "outside of the temple" when all she can do is try to guide them toward the right path with teaching within the temple. Given how most of the time she spent would be practicing inside the temple... it is only natural her students can sneakily doing stuffs outside
Her not knowing what her own youkai are doing when everyone else does, is supposed to show that she has no handle on them whatsoever, not that she's supposed to realistically monitor all of them 24/7. It's written to emphasize that she thinks she knows how they behave, and then demonstrate that she's really the only one that doesn't. This is her duty! This is what she's apparently dedicating her life to, yet she doesn't want to accept that her methods are flawed.

> How can she acknowledge her failures when she wasn't aware of it.
Again, she should be aware of it because she's made it her mission to guide her disciples. It would be one thing if the youkai were doing stuff in secret, but they're not. They're at parties and having concerts and everyone but Byakuren seems to know.

Say you are a parent. You make it your duty to teach your kid right from wrong, and specifically teach them why hitting people is wrong and that they shouldn't. Then you find out from their school that they've been hitting other kids. You also find out they hit other kids at daycare, and at the playground. Somehow, basically everyone knows but you. Then, instead of accepting your failure to teach them not to hit and changing your strategy, you make excuses for your kid and say they just can't help it. Why did everybody know but you? Were you not watching them? Sure they can do stuff behind your back, but it's still ultimately your responsibility that they didn't learn. You failed at your duty, and that in itself isn't a bad thing. What's bad is that you don't accept that you failed, and instead of doing something you made excuses and refused to take responsibility, despite telling yourself it was your duty to teach them. Then, you don't even change your approach: you just punish them, tell them the same thing and go "yeah they won't do it again now!". No this is a bad idea that doesn't help anyone and is only lying to yourself.

> "The gift of fearlessness" Hijiri mentioned is a real Buddhism thing... not something that made up on the spot... twisting it into something like her saying how their generosity is letting people lives is quite... twisted
That is what she's saying, though. Her offering is supposed to be a life without fear of others. That is precisely saying that people shouldn't be afraid of being attacked by their youkai. Then, she turns around and says to not be so hard on them for attacking you. How is that in any way reasonable.

> -Like stated, that was during UFO, where she hasn't even returned and they were all roaming Youkai/sealed youkai except for Shou; and even then Marisa's choice of word is largely dramatic when all they have was standard Gensokyo's Danmaku matches
Again, not sure where you're getting UFO from. More importantly, if you accept that Marisa's usage of "killing intent" is exaggerated, you also must accept that Byakuren even mentioning "no killing" is pointless. And seriously, for all of "discipline", you would think "not killing people" is the most trivial one. The point of that in the first place is that you shouldn't give in to the urge to harm others.

> -Marisa was repeating herself, of course she is ignored
Ignored after saying they weren't doing a very good job of not trying to attack her. Do you realize how silly this is.

> -Marisa's remark didn't invalidate what she said anyhow, rather... Marisa didn't understand the full extent of that virtue.
Clearly not, since she had no response to it. She's right; forbearance is something we all have to do regardless, and diligence is redundant if you're already supposed to be training.

> but that is rather unfair considering her disciples are indeed than other youkais since it made pretty clears in the next part that she did refuse entry for Youkai who intends to do harm to human or join for malicious intent.
This was another problem with her practice, though. More problematic youkai are the ones she should be targeting in order to rehabilitate. You can't argue that her disciples are better than the youkai who she wouldn't even accept into the temple and therefore her practice is effective; that's awful reasoning. They didn't have to do anything to be more hospitable.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
I am not sure if there is some sort of cultural gap here and I don't mean to be an apologist or anything; it is just that my background revolves quite extensively around knowledges of Buddhism practice due to my family sect... so pardon me if my stances and interpretation regarding these practicing matters are at times... peculiar

>Of course she does. By listing a bunch of precepts that they apparently swore to follow, she creates her expectations of them, and then she defends those expectations. Perhaps not all of them to the letter, but she clearly believes that they are actually training as she describes; otherwise she wouldn't even be surprised.
She never even said they sworn to anything. In the sense of Buddhism, all precepts are a guidelines or as quoted "training wheels", not a strict objective morality list on what you all need to fulfill to be certified a Buddhist. To simply "strive" and "try" to achieve these goals then you are already walking on the path. The keyword here is to try... through the journey of attaining those virtues. To say if they failed to follow it mean they are not training, that is a false dichotomy. Case in point, even in our world's reowned Buddhist practitioners are still worry and still gone astray from these virtues times to times through daily lives... but acknowledging it and trying to follow it is the key. Let alone youkais who have spent their beings following their own raw instincts and natural purposes. Just because they violate those codes doesn't mean they don't know their end goals and try to attain these virtues (what practicing are all about).

You're also understating how little of their training they follow. As I said before, they don't follow anything substantial out of what Byakuren lists. It isn't that they can't hold all of the virtues, it's that they seemingly can't hold any.
Same as above. What measures are to define "to follow"? The only one where the Youkais obviously violated are discipline in consuming and indulging in desires behaviors.
What? She never says anything about UFO's events, which were nearly three years before SoPM. She just says previously / recently / just a while ago. Regardless, that doesn't even matter. Byakuren says her youkai are apparently putting the concept of "not attacking people" into practice, yet they aren't. She says they vow not to kill, steal, lie or drink, yet they do (or try). And obviously they lie, if Byakuren believes them.
Regarding the "gift of fearlessness and Marisa being attacked though... yes this was indeed my bad, I mistook the timeline gap between UFO and SoPM quite a bit so truly my sincerest apologies for that. Anyhow, let's approach this in a different perspective if we were to use recent time as a context:
Hijiri's main youkai disciples are the one who reside at her temple (named within the story); but it was made clear in SoPM that there are an extensive amount of Youkai who also frequently approach the temple to listen to her sutra or partake to her teachings; and it was also stated some of these youkai are with the intention of merely utilizing the temple as a feasting ground. This would fall in line with how Marisa claims to be attacked by Youkai when she visits the temple. In my previous argument I have made the comparison of how Zun referencing real life temple issues through the Myouren temple, and this also hold true in our world temple as well where there are plenty of those participate within temple ground for unsavory preying. But Marisa utilizing these occurrences of her being attack by temple goers as the mean to dismiss Byakuren claim of what her disciples "try" to practice would be unfair. Hijiri can't possibly micro-manage all that is within and around her temple grounds with the amount of those who frequents her temple.

And again, the youkai are fine; youkai are youkai and everyone but Byakuren expects them to behave this way. The "in-training" is her excusing herself, not excusing her disciples. Does she intend to discipline them for straying, or does she want to suppress criticism for them straying? You can't have both. Byakuren says that they swear by these precepts, and she says that they should be punished, and yet excuses their behaviour because she doesn't want to look like a fool for being the one responsible for their training. She is explaining what they're apparently supposed to be doing in their training, but they don't follow it, so it looks like a waste of time to everyone else. Byakuren makes excuses for them so she doesn't look bad, not so that the others think her disciples act, uh, exactly how they already know they act.
Again, that's not how Buddhism works, you don't swear by any precepts and Byakuren never make any claim of how her disciples swear by these precepts either. Regarding whether who she was excusing using the line "in-training", it can be interpreted both way. Hijiri say they are in-training so they can't follow these precepts fully yet... this is entirely fair in Buddhism concept as just because they can't follow the precepts doesn't mean they are not practicing Buddhism, but rather them failing to follow precepts are all within the path of practice. Like stated, in our world, practitioners accidentally led astray by the heat of the moment and their desires all the time... but this is all fair in the path to strive to improve. Her excuses are simply explaining things for what it is... and regardless, any explanation can be interpreted as excuses. Whether she will make her disciples pay repentance for their misdeeds or not, that aren't stated within the text, but there is no reason to assume why not. She never make a claim of "they did no wrong", all she did was explaining the reasons for why things happen that way (they are in-training).

This isn't inflammatory or insulting... Regardless, this quote is irrelevant to the section we're talking about and I'm not sure why you brought it up.
It is inflammatory and insulting, within the whole tea session where this was repeated a lot at Hijiri along with other snide remarks regarding Buddhism, and Hijiri later did have to go out of her way to refute how those actions are "because of the immaturity of the user" (can't remember exact quote). Anyway, I brought it up since within the section we have been discussing about, aside from umbrella statement regarding of Buddhism; all she said was a bit at the end was the Nyuudo going to party (Kogasa is not even a part of the temple and she still mistakenly include her in).. but the only relevant statement of Miko was repeating what others have said.

It's written to emphasize that she thinks she knows how they behave, and then demonstrate that she's really the only one that doesn't. This is her duty! This is what she's apparently dedicating her life to, yet she doesn't want to accept that her methods are flawed.
...you are probably already sick of me repeating "Actually in a Buddhism sense..." so I am just going to say that her goals are to teaches knowledge. Buddhism ain't a religion of objective commandments but a guidelines on how to live in a way that minimise suffering in lives (basic course at least). She teaches these Youkai the code on how to lives and they try to follow it... and just because they are shown lose to the temptation of desires doesn't mean they are not trying to follow it (in that regard all temple's monk methods are flawed since this is pretty much mirroring real life).

Say you are a parent. You make it your duty to teach your kid right from wrong, and specifically teach them why hitting people is wrong and that they shouldn't. Then you find out from their school that they've been hitting other kids. You also find out they hit other kids at daycare, and at the playground. Somehow, basically everyone knows but you. Then, instead of accepting your failure to teach them not to hit and changing your strategy, you make excuses for your kid and say they just can't help it. Why did everybody know but you? Were you not watching them? Sure they can do stuff behind your back, but it's still ultimately your responsibility that they didn't learn. You failed at your duty, and that in itself isn't a bad thing. What's bad is that you don't accept that you failed, and instead of doing something you made excuses and refused to take responsibility, despite telling yourself it was your duty to teach them. Then, you don't even change your approach: you just punish them, tell them the same thing and go "yeah they won't do it again now!". No this is a bad idea that doesn't help anyone and is only lying to yourself.
Like said, she never ever make a claim of excuses saying they can't help it. The statement is, the are in-training; essentially: "I am STILL correcting them"  (present tense). She never deny she has failed but all she said is that this is a work in progress that would take time to fix... and yes, as stressed before, it is completely reasonable for these behaviours to take a long time to change especially for Youkai whose existence are defined with sole purposes and raw instinct; and thus "in-training so please pardon their mistakes"; and not "they are what they are, please ignore them".

Clearly not, since she had no response to it. She's right; forbearance is something we all have to do regardless, and diligence is redundant if you're already supposed to be training.
Then isn't that great? Marisa says everyone does it anyway so that would mean the Youkai does hold some of these values, as opposed to, per quoted: " it's that they seemingly can't hold any".
...but the problem here is Marisa saying how that virtues is insignificant since everyone practices it so the Youkai doing it ain't really something special. Well, let's say in a Christian (yes, Christian) perspectives, using the 10 commandments; a lot of them are generic stuffs other people do anyway... but that doesn't mean it doesn't hold meaning because everyone does it. Regarding those virtues marisa says everyone possessed by default though... then yes, everyone possess it... but the idea is to what extent is the limit and threshold of these virtues a Buddhist practitioner would need to have (and while Marisa says everyone has it so it's not special, believe it or not but a lot of people seemingly possess a shocking low limit regarding these standards). Yes, these virtues overlap with normal people's living way... but the point of buddhism is how to live wisely... then of course some of the virtues would fall in life with the logic of common sense on what is good.

This was another problem with her practice, though. More problematic youkai are the ones she should be targeting in order to rehabilitate. You can't argue that her disciples are better than the youkai who she wouldn't even accept into the temple and therefore her practice is effective; that's awful reasoning. They didn't have to do anything to be more hospitable.
But you were the one making the claim of "Byakuren's given no indication that her disciples are any better off than other youkai"... and for that statement I had to make distinction has to be made regarding how her disciples are indeed better than the common youkai

=====
All and all, please pardon me if I come off as an apologist or playing the advocate to any particular target that everyone is against here. These are just interpretations I made base on the personal reflection of what I see within the Buddhism scenes that are prevalent not just within my upbringings but throughout the world... and they are a pretty good reflection match to what I see portraying within the Myouren temple. From other people's views these occurrences can be interpreted into a lot of things by different people with different views; and due to my upbringings I shall interpret it base on the view of how these values have guided: "Giving the benefits of doubts and faith"

p.s - Particularly apologies for the UFO mistake, I goof'd that one up
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:50:57 PM by Paz legalces »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »
Isn't Shou stated to be an extremely competent avatar of Bishamonten, though? So much so, in fact, that she wasn't noticed as a youkai even after Byakuren was sealed? Wouldn't that mean that she, at least, holds some of the Buddhist virtues? Either that, or Bishamonten doesn't care much about the precepts of Buddhism...

And while it's certainly true that her other followers don't seem to care about Buddhism at all, some do appear to have mellowed out a bit, no? Murasa is described in SoPM as not randomly drowning people anymore and considering her targets more carefully, for instace. It's just a small change in behaviour, yeah, but that's still kinda of unexpected for youkai.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:56:15 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
While I agree Byakuren is pretty foolish for not seeing her disciple's actions a lot of what's being said against her is pretty unfair.

There's no reason she can't discipline them and try to surpress criticism. She's acknowledging that they aren't perfect and saying please forgive them. To use your parent/child example, this is like telling the teacher "I'm sorry, he's picked up this bad hitting habit, we've been trying to work him out of it and we thought he'd stopped". The teacher may look down on the parent or the teacher might be understanding that the parent is trying and that nobody is perfect. But just because the parent asked the teacher to forgive the child doesn't mean the parent's going to ignore the child's bad behavior. Byakuren can totally ask the public to be lenient because "they're in training" then go home and criticize them.

That isn't fair at all. The youkai she refused were Yamame and Rin. Yamame, who openly admitted that she only wanted to eat human, and Rin, who openly admitted that she only wanted to steal corpses. Maybe it's different, but I'm imagining a church. They accept anyone who wants to repent. If a thief says he wants to repent, the church lets him in and he steals everything, the Church was fooled but did their job by giving the thief a chance. If a thief says "I'm coming to steal everything" and the church lets him in because "oh, we accept everyone" they're just fools. I don't think it's Byakuren's job to convert every youkai she sees it's her job to help youkai who are willing to be converted. Even if she wants every youkai to convert she isn't going to try and force anyone (though note there is a difference between trying to sway the neutral and trying to force your religion on the those opposed to your teachings). Of course, if there's some evidence that I've missed maybe I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:41:20 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Very interesting debate, just want to add a small detail: if i remember correct in SoPM Byakuren is not happy with Kyouko joining Mystia in a punk rock band and promises to punish her for it.

Personally i take it as a good point in favor of "she isn't aware of her disciples's behaviour" (although that might have been said just to save face in front of evidence)

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
I know I'm late, but I never expected my statement to cause a conversation of this level. Byakuren is certainly an interesting character now that I've read SoPM in full. At first, everyone thought she was a messianic christ figure for youkai, but SoPM plays her more as some kind of ambitious ditz, which is really cute I have to admit. It's also how I like portraying her: a ditz who can be serious, but who has such a strong conviction that it makes her stubborn and blind to her own flaws or failings. She doesn't really seem "evil" or terrible.