Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 100713 times)

Re: Team Fortress 2
« Reply #960 on: May 16, 2010, 03:37:25 AM »
Uh no they don't :

I joined steam back in '05 but my medal says September 2007.
This.

Bananamatic

« Reply #961 on: May 16, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Why don't we post each other's Steam profiles here so we can add each other :V the steam thread doesn't really help as too many people frequently change/have different usernames.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who sees the heavy as extremely overpowered? Even bad heavies are hard to counter in the arena.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:21:12 PM by Bananamatic »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #962 on: May 16, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
Well, at least on the pubs I play at heavies are usually very eager to eat a headshot. Some can even be taken from 450 to 0 by the oldest trick in the world: Approach from behind, two scattergun shots in the back, retreat, wait 3 seconds, repeat.
I have no idea how the situation is in high-level play, though.

On another note, I recently found the Axtinguisher and started playing around with the Pyro a bit more. Killing soldiers with their own rockets is pretty cool. Despite that, I don't think I'm really any good with him/her/it. :V

Oh, and as for the steam profile: Iryan. Just Iryan.

I also got four group and two friend invites without any of the people inviting me exchanging a word about it. Naturally I didn't accept any of them thus far.   :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #963 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Even unrevved heavies are hard to axtinguish - they just turn around after the first hit and destroy you in less than a second.

I seriously hope they don't remove the strafing exploit vs Natascha - it doesn't slow down, it's a freaking glue gun which forces you to fight battles with no chance of winning.

I see people with low score switching to heavies and being on the top way too often.

« Reply #964 on: May 16, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
Steam Profile: Kishouki

In terms of the heavy; as long as I can still stare one down at mid range as a medic and gun him down with my syringe gun, walking away with half my health, he's nowhere near OP.  Scouts can still 3-shot them before they can do too much damage too, though the heavy can actually react fast enough to do some damage now.

And...heavy kind of breaks arena.  He's the best class at zone defense, and that's all arena is; defend either a point or a room with a dispenser, win regardless of having killed the other team or not.  Plus, Sandvich makes him the only class (except somewhat medic) that's able to heal himself in arena.  And 300 recoverable HP in a gamemode with no respawn is only an asset to him.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #965 on: May 16, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
In terms of the heavy; as long as I can still stare one down at mid range as a medic and gun him down with my syringe gun, walking away with half my health, he's nowhere near OP.
Medics do more DPS with the syringe gun than the Pyro.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #966 on: May 16, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
Medics do more DPS with the syringe gun than the Pyro.
Medics equal shotgun DPS with the syringe gun, plus HP regen (whether default with the syringe gun or +30 leeched with Blutsauger per second).  But the needles are slow and do gradual damage instead of spike damage, so it's still relatively balanced.

On the note of the flamethrower though, it's officially the weakest weapon in the game now.  Fire axe pyro without crits does in fact beat flamethrower pyro with all particles hitting, despite what I previously thought.  And non-crit melee has the lowest DPS in the game (ignoring the flare gun).

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #967 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
Medics equal shotgun DPS with the syringe gun, plus HP regen (whether default with the syringe gun or +30 leeched with Blutsauger per second).  But the needles are slow and do gradual damage instead of spike damage, so it's still relatively balanced.

On the note of the flamethrower though, it's officially the weakest weapon in the game now.  Fire axe pyro without crits does in fact beat flamethrower pyro with all particles hitting, despite what I previously thought.  And non-crit melee has the lowest DPS in the game (ignoring the flare gun).

Wait, it still beats flaregun right?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #968 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
Wait, it still beats flaregun right?
Everything will always beat flare gun, no problems there.

dustyjo

« Reply #969 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
Why don't we post each other's Steam profiles here so we can add each other :V

ok sure

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #970 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
Why don't we post each other's Steam profiles here so we can add each other :V

Here ya go.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #971 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »
Why don't we post each other's Steam profiles here so we can add each other

Here I am

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #972 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:44 AM »
Why don't we post each other's Steam profiles here so we can add each other :V the steam thread doesn't really help as too many people frequently change/have different usernames.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who sees the heavy as extremely overpowered? Even bad heavies are hard to counter in the arena.
enjoy

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #973 on: May 17, 2010, 03:20:15 AM »
derp added you guys

I kind of miss the flare gun though, given how it's your only chance in hell to kill a heavy in arena as pyro.

« Reply #974 on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:52 AM »
derp added you guys

I kind of miss the flare gun though, given how it's your only chance in hell to kill a heavy in arena as pyro.
I feel the same.  Weak as it may be, the range it gives the pyro is completely invaluable.

« Reply #975 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:19 AM »
Fun fact of the day: A medic will survive underwater longer than a Dalokohs-buffed Heavy.

Bananamatic

« Reply #976 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
I can axtinguish a heavy from time to time if I get an ambush, but it's 50:50.

Protip: Map your melee weapon to F and map taunt to P or something. Much faster than using 3 or mouse3.

Yamachanadu

• Apparently pre-Yamatrend
« Reply #977 on: May 17, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
Now with 100% more Scrubiness
<%convider> with the nose on top it looks like a lovecraftian sam fisher

Bananamatic

« Reply #978 on: May 17, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
why is my pyro playing inconsistent

on sourceop all the time, with delayed airblasts(seriously, any way to fix that? impossible to deflect consistently at mid range)

sometimes I have 1:4 rate, then I get 3 godly rounds in a row and I have 8:1

mostly thanks to the maps I guess?(I usually do well on lumberyard and if a medic tags along I sometimes completely destroy granary, but stuff like watchtower is usually a trainwreck)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:05:34 PM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #979 on: May 17, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »

« Reply #980 on: May 17, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »
with delayed airblasts(seriously, any way to fix that? impossible to deflect consistently at mid range)
This is another kick in the face from Valve to Pyros; the flamethrower is the only weapon without lag compensation.

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #981 on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »
Using the sniper rifle has made me so terrible at using the huntsman. I can't hit anything with the bow now.

« Reply #982 on: May 18, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
Dammit, I was making a map and somehow managed to break it.

The only thing I can think of that I changed was adding a frog in the water, and I don't know how the hell that would've broken the entire map.

Yamachanadu

• Apparently pre-Yamatrend
« Reply #983 on: May 18, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
I'm completely pulling this out of my butt, but I seem to remember something about source and water effects.
<%convider> with the nose on top it looks like a lovecraftian sam fisher

« Reply #984 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
I'm completely pulling this out of my butt, but I seem to remember something about source and water effects.
I know it's terrible with water, but I already had it set up to work.  I didn't change anything involving the water since, but it still randomly broke anyway.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #985 on: May 18, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
Does anyone know if I could store Steam on a flashdrive?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #986 on: May 18, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Does anyone know if I could store Steam on a flashdrive?
Thought about trying it, never got around to it.

Short answer: Maybe, but those games aren't small.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #987 on: May 18, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
I know it's terrible with water, but I already had it set up to work.  I didn't change anything involving the water since, but it still randomly broke anyway.
What's the error it gives when you compile it?

on sourceop all the time, with delayed airblasts(seriously, any way to fix that? impossible to deflect consistently at mid range)
Depends on the server, your latency, and your interp settings.  When I played I had a little script set up so I could change my interp preferences in the console depending on the server.  It's a good idea to get familiar with the advanced net_graph settings and what it means so you can study it while playing.

If your connection has a lot of jitter (which is usually inconsistent latency between you and your ISP) that's another problem.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Bananamatic

« Reply #988 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »
The only problem is the server location - normal ping is 50-60, but on US servers like 150-160 constant...and the only difference is airblast. Sucks.

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #989 on: May 18, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
Some of these replacement models are awesome,

Detective Noir needs to be made into an official hat TF2 pronto. Holy shit that looks amazing.  :o

EDIT: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3835&p=1

We're going to ship an update with another small set of Pyro changes this week. Like our previous update, our goal is to increase the degree to which skill can make a difference between two Pyro players. We received a bunch of useful feedback after the last update, and we think we've managed to address most of it, without removing the skill-based additions. As always, play with it for a bit, and then let us know what you think.

Really hope these changes will be for the better.  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:15:24 AM by headcrabs »