Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015  (Read 33323 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »
That's all pretty wrong and dumb, dude, Go kill yourself

There's a couple flaws in your analysis.

Firstly, the original trilogy wasn't black and white like you portray it. You have Lando, and Bespin as a whole, who were unaligned until the end. You have Han Solo, who straight said "Fuck this noise" and left at one point. You have Boba Fett, who's only in it for his own interest. As well, you see Luke committing tons of dark side shit in RotJ (there's a fun game to be had in counting how many times he does it; and it's significant in line with his meeting with the Emperor!).  This isn't counting the vast amount of EU stuffs where there's all sorts of shades of gray and everyone has a story; particularly the official bits.

I think it's not so much High Fantasy vs Space Opera as it is Simplicity vs Complexity. You favor the former, but kinda don't see the latter is lurking underneath it.

(Also, one of the things that Tolkien has stated is that he regretted portraying the orcs as completely and irredeemly evil, as he never meant to do that. He didn't even mean for Sauron to be fully and perfectly evil; as Sauron's loyalty to Melkor well after Melkor's cause was lost was a big deal.)

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2012, 01:18:28 AM »
That's all pretty wrong and dumb, dude, Go kill yourself

:qq:

Firstly, the original trilogy wasn't black and white like you portray it. You have Lando, and Bespin as a whole, who were unaligned until the end. You have Han Solo, who straight said "Fuck this noise" and left at one point. You have Boba Fett, who's only in it for his own interest.

You have a point; Han was pretty gray, though by the end of Episode 4 he comes back to save the day and doesn't really look back from Episode 5 onwards, and Lando does stay largely neutral (I suspect that Lando was more a Space Opera thing than a High Fantasy Black/White thing). For Boba Fett, however; isn't he portrayed in a somewhat evil way, what with his first scene being shown standing among a vicious looking robot, a heavily scarred and dubious man, a guy with creepy bug eyes, a robot with creepy bug eyes, and a weird lizard dude? Not to mention, while Lando redeemed himself and became heroic, Boba Fett got put in the Sarlaac pit by a blind guy.

Despite these, however, I argue that my point still stands; in Star Wars, for the most part there's still a very clear delineation between Light and Dark, good vs evil. As you point out, it's grayer than I thought it was, but the original trilogy wasn't about two morally ambiguous factions duking it out for power, I don't think.

As well, you see Luke committing tons of dark side shit in RotJ (there's a fun game to be had in counting how many times he does it; and it's significant in line with his meeting with the Emperor!). 

I don't remember this from the Return of the Jedi: what sort of "dark side shit" does Luke commit?

This isn't counting the vast amount of EU stuffs where there's all sorts of shades of gray and everyone has a story; particularly the official bits.

Indeed, the EU stuffs have a bunch of shades of gray, but that's the thing; that's EU stuff. I know they're considered canon, but I'm not talking about the EU stuff here, only the original trilogy which, as far as I remember it, wasn't all that gray. As you pointed out, a few gray spots here and there, but for the most part not so much.

I know that there's gray stuff in the EU. Part of my lamentations is that I don't think there was as much gray in the original trilogy as there is now in the EU, and I was hoping for Episode 7 to be more along the lines of the original trilogy in that sense.

I think it's not so much High Fantasy vs Space Opera as it is Simplicity vs Complexity. You favor the former, but kinda don't see the latter is lurking underneath it.

I should note: I'm not arguing that Star Wars is High Fantasy AS OPPOSED TO Space Opera. I'm arguing that Star Wars is High Fantasy AND Space Opera, and I'm saddened that subsequent Star Wars is missing the former part in favor of the latter.

(Also, one of the things that Tolkien has stated is that he regretted portraying the orcs as completely and irredeemly evil, as he never meant to do that. He didn't even mean for Sauron to be fully and perfectly evil; as Sauron's loyalty to Melkor well after Melkor's cause was lost was a big deal.)

Perhaps, but nonetheless we ended up with a LOTR where orcs and Sauron were perfectly evil and that was pretty much it. *shrug*

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2012, 03:34:46 AM »
Disney buying star wars ep 7? Well I don't see the reason why they should stop Star Wars, since it's soooooo complicated. The plot constantly shifts from one point to another. It's like a never-ending cycle that when something is done, it starts again from the beginning.

I just wish they'd use actors, and not computer animation again...then again, it is Disney. Not that I hate computer animation, but they might make ep. 7...err...child-like or something.

Still I love Disney, I just hope they would make cartoon drawn movies once more.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:48 AM »
:qq:

With Luke's issues, large portions of the raid of Jabba's palace. There was a reason that the Emperor expect Luke to fall, in fighting a war, you have to do dark side stuff. You aren't an ally of light and such when you're running around killin' dudes.  As for Fett, what makes being around weird aliens and robots evil? The rebellion was full of weird robots and aliens and such. And when I was talking about EU stuff, I was particularly talking about EU stuff as it relates to characters like that. They all had their own story and such, and most of them were pretty gray. Some of this was established since the first movies and such via newsletters and the like.  But back to Fett, nothing made him "a bad guy" except for the fact that he worked against the good guys. He was just in it for the money, Empire and Rebellion meant nothing to him; really that's the case for all of the bounty hunters.

As for Lando, I would say he wasn't really established a hero, rather he kinda had to join the rebellion because the Empire wanted him dead. He had nowhere else to go. He was certainly heroic within the Rebellion, but he wasn't on the side of light so much as it was either that or hoping the Empire never found him.

In relation to High Fantasy, What I am saying is that your view of High Fantasy is that it is simple, and Space Opera is complex. And as I've shown, Star Wars is a lot more of the latter than you like to think. You're trying to oversimplify it to fit it into this category, and thus brushing over or denying a lot of stuff in the process.  You have an idealized view, but reality kinda doesn't match with it.

(With Tolkien actually, no, point is that Sauron isn't fully and perfectly evil. This isn't rewriting, it's a nuance that was briefly touched on and came through more in Tolkien's other writings.)

Joveus Molai

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2012, 04:17:26 AM »
With Luke's issues, large portions of the raid of Jabba's palace. There was a reason that the Emperor expect Luke to fall, in fighting a war, you have to do dark side stuff. You aren't an ally of light and such when you're running around killin' dudes.

Huh? You thought Luke killing mooks at Jabba's Palace was a gray thing?  :wat: Maybe I was misinterpreting that whole segment, but I got the impression that Jabba's mooks were supposed to be the generic, faceless minions that no one really cared about when the heroes killed them. The fact that they were working for an extremely shady crime lord didn't help gain much sympathy when they got tossed into the Sarlaac, either. No one's calling out Han for blasting all those Stormtroopers in the face, are they?

And as I recall, Palpatine was trying to make Luke fall through temptations of power and dark emotions: "and together we will rule the galaxy" and "give into your hate!", the latter of which was within the context of Luke battling his father. I don't recall the Emperor ever trying to make Luke fall through jumping off the slippery slope of being brutal in a war--he tried to make Luke jump off the slippery slope of abstaining from dark emotions like hatred.

As for Fett, what makes being around weird aliens and robots evil? The rebellion was full of weird robots and aliens and such. But back to Fett, nothing made him "a bad guy" except for the fact that he worked against the good guys. He was just in it for the money, Empire and Rebellion meant nothing to him; really that's the case for all of the bounty hunters.

Very well, I'll give you that Boba Fett himself is gray in the sense that he's not particularly for good or for evil. Nonetheless, I argue that the existence of Boba Fett does not completely negate the sharp Good and Light vs Evil and Dark distinction that the original trilogy tried to make.

As for Lando, I would say he wasn't really established a hero, rather he kinda had to join the rebellion because the Empire wanted him dead. He had nowhere else to go. He was certainly heroic within the Rebellion, but he wasn't on the side of light so much as it was either that or hoping the Empire never found him.

I agree that Lando certainly wasn't the most heroic character, but his semi-redemption at the end of Episode 5 seems to be confirmed when he returns as not only a general in the Rebel army but also spearheads the assault on the Second Death Star.

Regardless, I still think  my point about the Good vs Evil distinction in Star Wars stands. As you point out, Star Wars was a little grayer than I remember, but from what I remember from the movies, Rebels and Luke and Leia and Han = Good, Empire and Palpatine and Vader = Evil.

...or at least, if it weren't for...

And when I was talking about EU stuff, I was particularly talking about EU stuff as it relates to characters like that. They all had their own story and such, and most of them were pretty gray. Some of this was established since the first movies and such via newsletters and the like.

I admit, you got me there. *shrug*. I wasn't aware that they had that much EU stuff before between the movies in the original trilogy.

To my credit, though, Star Wars canonicity is a very weird thing. The fact that so many authors can lend a voice to Star Wars means that the tone can vary quite a bit; as I've said before, EU stuff like KOTOR II come off to me as being a lot grayer than the original trilogy (not counting canon EU stuff directly related to the original trilogy). Imagine if Asatsuki Dou's ultra grimdark Touhou doujin manga were suddenly declared canon by Zun: it'd throw the overall tone of Touhou into utter chaos. That, to a small extent, is how I feel about Star Wars canon.

Nonetheless, I still ask: does my point still stand for the things portrayed in the original trilogy and only the original trilogy? That is, if someone were to see Episodes 4, 5, and 6, and (somehow) that was the only exposure they've ever had to Star Wars, would they be more likely to agree with me or you?

In relation to High Fantasy, What I am saying is that your view of High Fantasy is that it is simple, and Space Opera is complex.

You've argued that my view of Star Wars is simple, but I'm not sure if you've said that my understanding of the High Fantasy genre is simple. Could you clarify?

And as I've shown, Star Wars is a lot more of the latter than you like to think.

I'm not entirely convinced. You've shown me that some of the characters in Star Wars, namely Lando Carlissian and Boba Fett, leaned more towards gray than black or white, but what about the other High Fantasy elements? Destiny, magic, the sequence of events playing out in a fantastic rather than realistic fashion? Are they not relevant?

Actually, so that we're both on the same page: what is High Fantasy to you? Perhaps our disagreement is stemming from differences in our definitions of High Fantasy.

(With Tolkien actually, no, point is that Sauron isn't fully and perfectly evil. This isn't rewriting, it's a nuance that was briefly touched on and came through more in Tolkien's other writings.)

Interesting...I recall that Sauron was corrupted by Melkor, but I've never heard of Sauron not being totally evil. Was this somewhere in the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, or other such work?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:24:34 AM by Joveus Molai »

Zil

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2012, 04:50:16 AM »
I'm not going to comment about High Fantasy and Space Opera, as they're not terms I'm overly familiar with. I do, however, agree with what Joveus Molai said here...
I'm arguing that Star Wars is High Fantasy AND Space Opera, and I'm saddened that subsequent Star Wars is missing the former part in favor of the latter.
interpreting it as simple "Fantasy and Science Fiction," at least. In that sense, I don't think complexity or moral ambiguity matter too much, genre-wise. The original trilogy is definitely Science Fiction, but I think it also includes lots of Fantasy elements. The Force, for one thing, and also the general dynamics of Obi-Wan and Yoda. The whole idea of the Jedi is a really strong Fantasy element. It's subtle, for the most part, and could have perhaps been left out altogether without changing the plot to a terrible extent. It's there however, and so amongst all the Sci-Fi you have things like destiny, sword fighting, some kind of apprentice/master relationship, the showdown(s) between Luke and Vader, etc. I think things like that have a distinct Fantasy feel to them, more so because they are kept somewhat separate from the rest of the plot. For me at least, that's part of what made the originals so good.

The prequels really corrupted that aspect of the series by making the Jedi overly "normal" and commonplace. Then with the duels being way too flashy and lots of extra lasers, bombs, and robots thrown in everywhere, they really lost the element of Fantasy that the original Trilogy had. Not that that's the only reason they're bad (and I'm a fan of -good- Sci-Fi anyway); there are all too many things wrong with the prequels, many of which have already been mentioned in the thread, but the loss of the Fantasy stuff contributed to making them that much more forgettable. I would even say that they have permanently damaged the idea of what a Jedi is, and I'm not sure an episode 7 could return to it style of the originals, even if it tried. I can most definitely see where Joveus Molai is coming from, unless there's such a big difference between Fantasy and "High Fantasy" that I'm missing here.
That's my two cents anyway.

(And did I read something about lizards "nullifying the Force"? What?)

Joveus Molai

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
I'm not going to comment about High Fantasy and Space Opera, as they're not terms I'm overly familiar with. I do, however, agree with what Joveus Molai said here...interpreting it as simple "Fantasy and Science Fiction," at least. In that sense, I don't think complexity or moral ambiguity matter too much, genre-wise. The original trilogy is definitely Science Fiction, but I think it also includes lots of Fantasy elements. The Force, for one thing, and also the general dynamics of Obi-Wan and Yoda. The whole idea of the Jedi is a really strong Fantasy element. It's subtle, for the most part, and could have perhaps been left out altogether without changing the plot to a terrible extent. It's there however, and so amongst all the Sci-Fi you have things like destiny, sword fighting, some kind of apprentice/master relationship, the showdown(s) between Luke and Vader, etc. I think things like that have a distinct Fantasy feel to them, more so because they are kept somewhat separate from the rest of the plot. For me at least, that's part of what made the originals so good.

The prequels really corrupted that aspect of the series by making the Jedi overly "normal" and commonplace. Then with the duels being way too flashy and lots of extra lasers, bombs, and robots thrown in everywhere, they really lost the element of Fantasy that the original Trilogy had. Not that that's the only reason they're bad (and I'm a fan of -good- Sci-Fi anyway); there are all too many things wrong with the prequels, many of which have already been mentioned in the thread, but the loss of the Fantasy stuff contributed to making them that much more forgettable. I would even say that they have permanently damaged the idea of what a Jedi is, and I'm not sure an episode 7 could return to it style of the originals, even if it tried. I can most definitely see where Joveus Molai is coming from, unless there's such a big difference between Fantasy and "High Fantasy" that I'm missing here.
That's my two cents anyway.

That's pretty much what I was trying to getting at, yeah. If it wasn't clear, then that was probably because I've been stumbling over my own words. :fail:

(And did I read something about lizards "nullifying the Force"? What?)

Uh, I should probably have spoilered that...I forgot that the Thrawn trilogy isn't something everyone has already read...

"Nullifying the Force" =
Spoiler:
In the Thrawn trilogy, which is set about 5 years after the destruction of the Death Star, Grand Admiral Thrawn gets his hands on a species of lizards called Ysalmiri that project an anti-force bubble, an empty void in the Force. Jedi like Luke can't use the Force while he's in such a bubble, and anyone in the bubble can't be affected by Force powers, either.

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:22 AM »
Hmm. I'm thinking ... the thing with Jedi is, they're supposed to be Special. In the original trilogy, the story included as few Jedi and other force-users as possible (you can literally count them on one hand -- Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Darth Vader, the Emperor), so as not to dilute how special they are. The end result was that Jedi, and mastery of the Force, are percieved by the audience as Awesome.

In the prequels (and to a certain extent the EU), the philosophy seemed to start with "Jedi are Awesome," and used the reasoning "therefore, 100 Jedi would be 100 times more awesome," and the stories seemed to try to include as many Jedi and Sith and other force-users as possible. The end result is that Jedi and other Force-users are percieved by the audience as not particularly special since they're a dime a dozen.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
Bill Gates --> Vilified by nerds --> Retires --> Donates vast sums of personal wealth to the betterment of humanity --> <3<3<3

George Lucas --> Vilified by nerds --> Retires --> Donates vast sums of personal wealth to the betterment of humanity --> <3<3<3
Obviously what we have to do is to have more nerds vilify people with lots of money!
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
"Little Miss Sunshine," "Toy Story 3" writer to write script for Episode VII.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/10/michael-arndt-star-wars-episode-vii_n_2109223.html?ref=topbar

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected

Hahahahahahahaha, welp. Looks like nothing's changing.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2012, 10:11:53 PM »

God almighty let it be a hoax.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
I have altered the plot, pray I do not alter it any further

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
I'm going to guess as a Force spirit or something since his ghost was visible with Obi-wan and Yoda at the ROTJ.

If they mean a bodily resurrection though then I'm just going to throw up my arms in furious resignation. o/

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
They will ride the zombie apocalypse wave and have zombie Darth Vader and zombie jedis fighting against old man Skywalker and the other old farts. Music will be provided by Queen.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
I'm going to guess the Stormtroopers sift through his ashes, post Luke-torching, and retrieve the magic microchip containing his entire consciousness, and load it into a Vader-esque droid. Which can transform into a spaceship. It will be directed by Michael Bay and star Matt Damon as the voice of Vader.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
I'm going to guess the Stormtroopers sift through his ashes, post Luke-torching, and retrieve the magic microchip containing his entire consciousness, and load it into a Vader-esque droid. Which can transform into a spaceship. It will be directed by Michael Bay and star Matt Damon as the voice of Vader.

I'm pretty sure Disney bough the rights, not Capcom.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:06 AM »
I'm guessing CloneVader myself. Clone jedi have happened in the EU, (mind you, this is back when they thought that clones were the bad guys of the Clone Wars).  And there was a lousy comic book with a Clone Emperor, which is one of the first EU things to have happened.

Edit: But what I'm really hoping for is time travel. Because if we're gonna fuck it up, let's ride the handbasket right into Cocytus!.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:31:02 AM by Purrvis »

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »
There's also the prospect of flashbacks, or an interquel with 7-9 taking place between 3 and 4.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
interquel with 7-9 taking place between 3 and 4.

It would be kinda neat if they made Shadow of the Empire into a movie. But from what I've heard, they've contracted Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill for it, which suggests that they intend to have it way in the future compared to RotJ.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

I wouldn't actually worrying too deeply about this for now. The writer of this article does not appear to be operating with any solid truth.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

JT

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2012, 05:26:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure Disney bough the rights, not Capcom.
I was gonna say Hideo Kojima.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
Oh cool, does this mean the next trilogy is going to be made up on the fly scene by scene?

Tengukami

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
As a friend of mine, who is also a major Star Wars fan, put it:
Armageddon sucked. Alias sucked. Lost sucked. Mission: Impossible III sucked. Super 8 sucked. Fringe sucked. The new Star Trek sucked. So tell me again why I'm supposed to be excited that J.J. Abrams is making a Star Wars film?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
The new Star Trek didn't suck! That was a decent movie!

Tengukami

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Yeah a lot of people disagreed with him on that one. I didn't see it myself.

Funny how no one objected to the other points, though. Personally, imagining J-dog doing Star Wars fills me with a morbid fascination to see what he would come up with. I think this will account for most of the ticket sales.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
Surprised your friend didn't mention Cloverfield.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
They should have gone whole hog and gotten David Lynch, rather than his tenth rate doppelganger.