Author Topic: Western Touhou fan content  (Read 15006 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Western Touhou fan content
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
There was also AnotherDream for a while, which did both comics and music.

Then Wong stepped down and I learned how difficult organizing it actually was. Or at least how unsuited to the task I was. :C

Regardless, I'd like to think Dream [A] had some really good moments, even if any given user didn't like all of any given edition.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
so how many games in rng have been completed, ever

and there we go
Technically, MirageV's Suika fangame was finished and shown to Pooshlmer before.

Actually, that doesn't count since MirageV wasn't part of Rika's Garage when he made the game, does it?

EDIT:
There was also Touhou Kesshouka, but no one wants to mention it.

Also, Touhou Sensoumu, but I dropped it.

Finally, there was the Danmakufu full six stage script with the cute baku as a boss (and an original character), but it disappeared "over the summer".

EDIT 2:
Story of a Lost Sky is still in progress. It's fun.

Aaaaaand there was the Touhou x Super Robot Wars game, but the story spiralled out of control.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:28:33 PM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
There was also AnotherDream for a while, which did both comics and music.

Then Wong stepped down and I learned how difficult organizing it actually was. Or at least how unsuited to the task I was. :C

Regardless, I'd like to think Dream [A] had some really good moments, even if any given user didn't like all of any given edition.

this, touhou fortress 2, and eastern starlight romance are the only western projects I have seen get anywhere, personally.

re: danmakufu scripts, I don't actually see danmakufu get much recognition outside of danmakufu groups, so I dunno how scripts would factor into perception of western fan content as far as jp perception goes.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:15 PM »
Yeah I knew people would smugly quote Rika's. I myself have respect for the people working on stuff there, and am aware that some of them are fun even. I still am not aware of any that I would qualify as good complete games though (even if the work is good). Mind you I don't have intimite knowledge on every single project and whatnot, so I might be overlooking some. But as far as I know, there isn't a complete full length (even if relatively short) game, with its own music arrangements (instead of using pre-made ones, most likely from Japanese arrangement groups to boot), art, etc.

But as already mentioned, it's not really fair to compare west versus east when it comes to this sort of thing since Doujin circles are so mainstream in Asia, and here in the west, not only are they uncommon, but it's hard to even be legal.

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
Surprised nobody mentioned FanFiction.net yet.

Also, I couldn't resist: Western Touhou fan content :derp:

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
Hopefully, Iseibon will be added to the mix.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »
It's not like there's any places where you'd find any Western Touhou fangames like TouhouFan or EastGap, nope.

It just doesn't exist.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
It's not like there's any places where you'd find any Western Touhou fangames like TouhouFan or EastGap, nope.

It just doesn't exist.

I've never heard of such sites.
You have to register on the second one in order to see squat though. It's a good resource to keep an eye out for fangames though? Because if it is I'll take a look. The former site only mentions 1 fangame, which is still not complete, and has been on page 1 of Rika's for some time anyway would have to have far less content to make me think registering for the second to be worth it.

Remember, the purpose of this thread is a question about it, so sarcastic responses pointing out some people's ignorance is not really the point.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Surprised nobody mentioned FanFiction.net yet.

There is good reason for this.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
You have to register on the second one in order to see squat though. It's a good resource to keep an eye out for fangames though? Because if it is I'll take a look. The former site only mentions 1 fangame, which is still not complete, and has been on page 1 of Rika's for some time anyway would have to have far less content to make me think registering for the second to be worth it.

Remember, the purpose of this thread is a question about it, so sarcastic responses pointing out some people's ignorance is not really the point.

Actually, I'm a member of the second one, and I've helped in development. Most of our games released so far are pretty simple, but there are some ambitious ones in progress. The main problem is the lack of good background artists, IMO.
Let me back into CPMC :|

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

TouhouFan is a website that needs a lot more people to actually start thriving, which is a problem since everyone is here and well, yeah!

EastGap is functional, but yes, you do need to register to get in. Nothing wrong with it, really.

Even with people in AAA producing fan art and fan music, there's people outside of it doing it as well like Western Touhou Fanart Repository (WTFR) but it was reduced in number. They're still working on drawings though.
Horie dorie~

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 10:14:26 PM »
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »
There is good reason for this.

h-hey, it's not all bad

(I mean I post fics there so haw haw haw haw haw)

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »
Tell me, what is the definitive BEST fic on PSL?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
Tell me, what is the definitive BEST fic on PSL?

you are literally asking what the definitive best of something subjective is

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »
you are literally asking what the definitive best of something subjective is

Yep.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
Yep.

Do you have any idea how stupid you're making yourself sound by asking a question that doesn't have an objective answer?

And most likely never will?

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 11:14:08 PM »
Do you have any idea how stupid you're making yourself sound by asking a question that doesn't have an objective answer?

No no, let him name a genre or something.  I'm curious if he can find one that we don't have.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 11:23:58 PM »

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »

Perhaps, but think about it this way.

Just because there is no Objective "best" doesn't mean there is no "best."

If I ask a question like that, do I expect an unanimous answer? Of course not.

So what I'm really asking is: What is your favorite?

Roundabout way of saying it, yes.

Also, as I sound stupid asking a question like that, you sound awful smug replying to me in that fashion.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:36:17 PM by Ubiquitial »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 11:39:32 PM »
Also, as I sound stupid asking a question like that, you sound awful smug replying to me in that fashion.

So?

You wanted to ask people what their favourite story was, yet you phrased it in a completely different manner that made it very easy for people to misunderstand you. I don't give a flying fuck if I sound smug or whatever if I'm going to call someone out on asking something that stupid.

And you know what? There's nothing stopping me from thinking you just pulled that out of thin air, anyway

I'll let it slide for now, though.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale