Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 218821 times)

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2015, 01:59:27 AM »
I too am now addicted to Gakkou Gurashi. Also, reading Girls und Panzer: the Ribbon Warrior.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2015, 02:03:27 AM »
Just finished Fate/Zero, and hoo boy. That was quite the ride.

I already knew the basics of what was going to happen due to gifs I'd seen around and from having watched the 2006 series first, but it was still pretty crazy.  Can't wait to get started on the first half of Unlimited Blade Works now.

Spoiler:
Also, my favourite parts were the Waver and Rider interactions.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »
I have no idea why I'm watching Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo....

It's insane.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
Bobobo is life. Bobobo is love.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2015, 01:59:24 AM »
MPD Psycho is not going well. Maybe I'm just in the wrong mood for it, but it seems to be just as cynical and tired as the first volume suggested. The amount of violence isn't just tasteless, it's ridiculous in the worst way. Truckloads of people die in almost every scene, with an established character going on a postal-style terrorism spree for minimally explained reasons suddenly only to immediately be forgotten about, buildings full of people being blown up left and right, civilians getting killed constantly as collateral damage with most of the characters barely even acknowledging it... There's so much of it that the stakes have dropped a lot. Basically the entire population of Japan has been killed with no few or no consequences, so what does it matter if another bus or office building or whole goddamn city dies if the heroes don't stop the bad guy? And all of the villains have faked their deaths so many times already that killing them seems like a waste of time.

The only recurring character who acts even remotely like a human is the one crossover character to Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, so I guess he escaped into a better book. It might be interesting if it slowed down the pace enough to actually think about anything that happens, but everything moves so fast that developments are forgotten about the moment they're explained so we can zoom along to the next irritating gibberish about multiple personalities and government experiments on children that make them psycho killers (seriously, the ONE plot element lamer than multiple personalities and they hit in on the head?). I might read one more volume just to double check that it's not going anywhere good before I drop it, because at least it reads fast, but yeah... Bad. Maybe this is all building to something profound to make it all worth the time, but I've read a decent chunk of it and it seems to get worse as it does, so I'm not holding my breath.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
Onnanoko ga Shinu Hanashi Is really good, I enjoyed it. It has the best Shoujo time skips.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:38 AM »
I'm almost done reading Junji Ito's work, just wrapping up a few loose ends. In light of his recent autobiographical manga about Kazuo Umezu's influence on him I decided to read him next.

I'm starting with (as far as I can tell) his earliest published manga, Orochi, which is excellent so far. The influence is obvious but they're very different in a lot of ways. Obviously I haven't read enough Umezu to know much yet, but just comparing their earliest works it seems like he can carry a plot a lot longer than Ito can, and his stories tend to be much less overtly supernatural (although all of them have supernatural elements). Most of them so far have been about people ending up in horrible situations for reasons that aren't necessarily anyone's fault, whereas Ito tends to have some kind of villain or other malevolent force most of the time.

Umezu is a solid artist, but at least early on most of his people look kind of same-y. All of his children look the same, all of his adult men look the same, and he has like three different women. Definitely none of the sheer visual craziness Ito had even from his earliest works, but his writing is a lot more even and the art is certainly serviceable. I haven't seen any of his trademark expressions yet, so I imagine those come later.

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
I'm on Hajime no Ippo these days. But I can't watch animes these days so it's "stop" for now.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
Following this season:

Kantai Collection - everything about it I like, except Wo-class bullying. (the fact she remain voiceless in the anime as well) Fubuker's funny ass face. Poiface Tragedy will follow, I guarantee it, and it will be damn x sad

Koufuku Grafitti - cooking anime, not up to mark. Kinda cute.
will drop this show when Shokugeki Soma shows up

Bad shows:
Binan shounen love making thing. I don't even.

So far kinda hard to watch for real:
Tokyo Ghoul not quite the same as mango. But finally there is EL DORADDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Absolute Duo, for once I agree with the whiners, the book is so much better by ep 8, it is tits and ass the movie

Great show surprises:
Sengoku Musou - aside from the QUALITY issues, some serious storytelling here. and the fact people never take off their armor is weird. (unlike the Basara anime, both seasons are as good and people actually looking confortable not fighting all the time. Naotora and Naomasa confuses the fuck out of me. (the lack of Naotora makes me cringe as well)

Death Parade - not bad, very intrigue, much slow plot development
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
I've put Kazuo Umezu on hold to a degree since I found Ochazuke Nori. I'm on the last chapter of Orochi, which is great, but incredibly slow. Ochazuke Nori, by contrast, is a bunch of short, turbo-violent horror stories that take a lot less investment to read, which is more in line with my schedule right now. His (Her? Their? I haven't been able to find much information about them so far, especially since I keep getting the food when I try to search that name) art is a little on the crude side, but it's stylized in a way that I like a lot, especially more recently. Check out their current ongoing manga, Fear Infection, if you get the chance and like horror manga. Every story in it has been at least decent, and the first one was pretty great.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Oh lord.  Carnival Phantasm is absolutely wonderful. I don't think I've laughed this hard since Nichijou.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:34 PM »
Oh lord.  Carnival Phantasm is absolutely wonderful. I don't think I've laughed this hard since Nichijou.
All my yes.

Akatsuki no Yona is approaching its end, which is kinda sad, I got attached to it.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »

Hataspin retuuuuuuurns.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2015, 06:24:27 AM »
I just finished Genshiken. Thank you again MJP for selling it, it was worth every penny.

I may edit in my thoughts later, but for now I'd just recommend it to anybody looking for a slice-of-life staring older characters (in this case college). It's so refreshing after numerous series staring middle and high schoolers.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
Just caught up with Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection. Great stuff.
Cute 4-koma rom-com, not a harem. Think Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun but more episodic and with some actual romantic development. This manga makes me smile!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:53:55 AM by KrackoCloud »

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
Has anyone seen Shirobako? I'm thinking to start watching that since I just finished Kancolle.
I saw Shirobako under the comedy genre and I love comedies. I haven't seen a good one since Sabagebu.
So if anyone has seen it, could you tell me how funny it is?

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »
It's pretty interesting just because it revolves around the anime industry, but I'd hardly call it a comedy.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »
Shirobako was my favorite of the 2014/15 winter season by far. That said, I'd call it a workplace dramedy at the most, with emphasis on the drama. For a more pure comedy, I'd recommend Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun if you haven't seen it already. It is hilarious.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
Just watched the first 3 episodes of Ore Monogatari... which Puppy has been enjoying. Not my sort of thing, but pretty damn cute in terms of the whole 'don't judge a book by its cover' motif~

Then watched the first episode of Punchline... What the ever loving f**k did I just witness here? o_O

« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
I have watched Madoka Magica a while back and i loved it! And i am currently watching SailorMoon Viz Media Dub and i am in episode 14 where Nephrite is introduced. I have been enjoying SailorMoon a lot! Cristina Vee does a great job as Rei Hikawa. This was my secound time being exposed to her brilliant voice acting skills, she was great as Homura Akemi, and she is great as Rei Hikawa as well. The other actresses do an excellent job as well, the characters fit the voices and all. I have been suffering of depression and this show is making wonders againts it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:44:37 PM by UnidentifiedPhantasm »
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2015, 02:31:57 AM »
I just read all of Fuan No Tane (Seeds Of Anxiety) in like two sittings. It's a super-short, almost flash fiction-style horror manga, primarily about people having inexplicable encounters with weird youkai. Masaaki Nakayama's art is genuinely freakish and upsetting. It's technically pretty tame, most of the monsters are basically just people with weird proportions making crazy faces, but the brevity of the stories and the author's excellent dramatic timing makes it bone-chilling to read in a way that I rarely experience. Some stories are duds, some are more funny than scary, but the really scary ones are something special. I tried it a few years ago and it didn't click with me at the time, but I gave it another shot on a recommendation and it didn't take long to get hooked.

For an example, hunt down the story "Blind Eye" from the sequel Fuan No Tane Plus. It made me physically recoil when I read it despite basically being nothing, and it takes like ten seconds to read. If you like that, get ahold of the rest. It's a good read.

Mitsuhide

• History Nerd
    • The one eyed gamer
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2015, 06:46:32 PM »
Reading Rin-ne Nobunaga no Yabou.
It's a nice little manga about what if history of Japan, but I can't find the last chanywhere u.u
I hope it was not cancelled, because it was the last chapter. Could be Koei (the company that created the game Nobunaga no Yabou, for which the manga is made and it's about japanese history) is working on it. In the sites I've been to it says it's still running, so there's still hope.

Also, re started One Piece, but I don't think I'll finish it. It's really long and that's the reason why I gave up reading it, but who knows. I'm liking it more than before, tbh.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:48:17 PM by Mitsuhide »

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2015, 11:26:39 PM »
I recently finished the anime Hozuki No Reitetsu

and it was beautiful
I haven't seen so many references in an anime for a while, nor have I laughed that hard.
10/10 would watch again.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »
I remembered I have a Funi account and I've become fixated lately so I wound up watching Dragon Ball. From the beginning. I've watched over 40 episodes in 5 days, I'm already on the Blue arc. It's a bit weird to hear the Funimation dub/VAs when I grew up with the Blue Water dub, honestly.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2015, 05:24:40 AM »
So my asked my friend who watches much more anime then I do for some recommendations for 'something cute' and 'something actiony' that was airing currently

The suggestions he gave me were Kiniro Mosiac for 'something cute'. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's heart-attack moe. Like, holy hell, it's Bottle Fairies cute. I was almost in tears before the end of the first episode because it was too adorable. So I'm gonna enjoy that.

For 'something actiony'...
Etotama is airing this season and it's literally made for you

And...
well...

YES
YES
THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2015, 04:41:07 PM »
So my asked my friend who watches much more anime then I do for some recommendations for 'something cute' and 'something actiony' that was airing currently

The suggestions he gave me were Kiniro Mosiac for 'something cute'. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's heart-attack moe. Like, holy hell, it's Bottle Fairies cute. I was almost in tears before the end of the first episode because it was too adorable. So I'm gonna enjoy that.

For 'something actiony'...
And...
well...

YES
YES
THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER

Etotama is the greatest thing ever des des

Also

E: OMG THIS ED IS BEYOND GODLIKE
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:00:06 PM by PX »

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
I just read a translated version of the original webcomic version of One Man Punch and I love it! ^-^
It's too bad it's still in progress and basically ends up in a cliffhanger but anyway...

Basically, it's the story of Saitama who, after losing his job, realized he wanted to become a super hero.
Cue the super training of 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats and running 10 km every day which allow him to become one allowing him to defeat any opponent with a single punch.
However, it had the nasty side effects of making his super hero hobby become too easy and uninteresting and, far more worse, made him BALD!  :P

Also, this webcomic (made by ONE) apparently gained so much popularity that someone called Murata who worked on Eyeshield 21 decide to do a remake of it.
And now, this.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if I told more about the story? ^^
In the setting, super heroes are classed by ranks from C to A and then S.
Soon enough, a prophecy is made that the Earth is trouble but due to the medium's death, no real detail is known beside something really, REALLY BAD will happen in the next 6 months.
And it might be true as attacks from extremely powerful monsters keep happening more and more often.

There are various heroes seen through the story.
Some which are way out of there league and yet willing to put their life on the line because someone has to, other who are competent but being big jerks,
some who are ranked way more higher than they have any right to be and other like Saitama who are underated.
Very often Saitama is basically treated like a nobody and his cyborg disciple who's not as strong get more respect. XD

Anyway, I recommend it and have big hope about the series for the future. ^-^

You can wish for anything!

Keiti

• つま先鍬
  • expand dong
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Reading Tokyo Ghoul and watching Watamote.

aranicar

• The Expressive Poker Face
  • Wasting time again
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »
We finally get confirmation of the Gakkou Gurashi anime

This and Jitsu wa Watashi wa are the only two reasons I'm hyped for this season.  Last season was filled with stuff that didn't interest me, with the exception of " I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" #2.

They still haven't changed the Canada flag to US.