Author Topic: Kaiji (and other Fukumoto) - No Moe Heroes  (Read 9223 times)

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
Kaiji (and other Fukumoto) - No Moe Heroes
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »

Meet Kaiji.

Kaiji's just an ordinary guy, not so different from you.  He's got money troubles.  He's got emotional troubles.  He's a man of simple pleasures--he likes yakitori, sandboxes and a good hoedown.

And he's about to bring you into his world of big gambles, bigger noses, and man's horrifying inhumanity to man.  Leave your blushing moe floozies at the door.

Madhouse's Kaiji Hakairoku-hen is an adaptation of part II of Nobuyuki Fukumoto's long-running gambling manga, and sequel to Madhouse's earlier adaptation from 2007.  Like Fukumoto's other work, Kaiji features a distinctive artstyle that recalls the simpler times of the '70s, and combines it with introspective, sophisticated narration and a bleak setting where magic, miracles, and the power of friendship hold no sway--you can only rely on wits, guile and grit to keep your head above water for another day.

Some of Fukumoto's other offerings include:

Akagi - Also adapted by Madhouse in 2005.  A story about a dude who really likes this guy named Ron, I think?
Buraiden Gai - A taut thriller about injecting naked men with love.
Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa - A charming slice-of-life about a man and his figurines.
Ten - Fukumoto's breakout manga, about tan yaoi.
Gambling Emperor Zero - A touching and educational manga about learning math.

Enjoy the thread, and remember--Trust no one.  Don't go halfway.  And never, ever, reveal your plan ex ante.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:59:07 AM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Kaiji (and other Fukumoto) - No Moe Heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
New Kaiji has just started, right? Definitely gonna be on top of this one as it goes.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
A video called Kaiji vs Beer has been on the Nico daily rankings since the first episode aired, which is a scene from episode 1. Cool if you like scrolling comments!
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
Poor Kaiji. Still a schmuck as ever.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
What's with this thread title? Kaiji is twice as moe as your average manufactured moeslut. Just look at his face in MauMau's post!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »
You know. The ED of Kaiji is so fucking moe I could die.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
Just watched the first two episodes! First of all, the OP feels like a standard anime OP, which is hilarious because for a show like Kaiji it almost feels like a parody :V

The first episode really hit home with me, I definitely know the feeling of being so poor that you have to agonize over buying a snack. But they're so tasty ;_;

The end of the second awakened that sense of excitement I got from the original series, that SHIT JUST GOT REAL feeling. Felt good to see another ~zawa~ after so long!

Kaiji as a series is just plain awesome. The narrator and the dramatizations make even the smallest actions epic, the atmosphere is incredibly tense at all times. What's really great is knowing that there's never going to be any kind of deus ex machina or something like that, Kaiji MUST plan and find a solution to every situation he gets into.

Kaiji as a character is IMO one of the best characters in anime from a literary standpoint. He can swing between being a derp and being brilliant at any time, but even his most brilliant plans can fall flat. He wants to be ruthless enough to just take what he needs to win, but no matter how hard he tries he can't abandon his humanity. I just love the way he represents a typical downtrodden lower-class guy.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:58:22 AM »
Kaiji as a character is IMO one of the best characters in anime from a literary standpoint. He can swing between being a derp and being brilliant at any time, but even his most brilliant plans can fall flat. He wants to be ruthless enough to just take what he needs to win, but no matter how hard he tries he can't abandon his humanity. I just love the way he represents a typical downtrodden lower-class guy.

Fukumoto is really, really good at writing desperation and the struggle to hold on to some semblance of human dignity in the face of the almighty dollar yen!  And speaking of which, guess who cameos in the OP--

(hint: it's avowed figurine lover and master tactician kurosawa)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:11:32 AM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Just watched the first episode and yes, this is really fantastic stuff. I suspect people living on their own already will be able to relate best to this series, but the timeless conflict of Short Term Gains v. Long Term Gains should ring true with everyone. It's funny, well-written, and the pacing moves at a nice clip. And the narrator cracks me up.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
Hotdamn, I was excited for this.

Kaiji is excellent stuff. I am a sucker for Fukumoto's stuff in general, fell in love with it when I first read/saw Akagi! Need to hype this to more people, it is good stuff~

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
I love how this series as a whole is obsessed with taking the smallest of things and turning it into something grand. Kaiji betting pennies and rolling dice seems so dramatic that the fate of nations hangs in the balance.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
I was not aware that the second series had started airing until I saw this thread.

I am now caught up and HOLY SHIT this is probably the one series I'm going to follow religiously this season.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Ahem.

ZAWA ZAWA

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
Ahem.

ZAWA ZAWA

Real men go 'zawa zawa' while lolis go 'honk honk' :V

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »
Ahem.

ZAWA ZAWA

Did you know that Akagi's seiyuu plays Mahjong professionally?

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
I'm guessing people have managed to make subs of this already? I was a massive fan of the first series, been looking forward to this season, particularly after reading about the manga on Wiki.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
Yeah, the first two eps of Season 2 are subbed, and I reckon the eps to come will also be subbed.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 03:13:54 AM »
I suspect people living on their own already will be able to relate best to this series, but the timeless conflict of Short Term Gains v. Long Term Gains should ring true with everyone.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about Kaiji is that all of the games/plot events are like little parables or have some kind of philosophical implication to them. It adds a layer of depth to it that you don't really see in a lot of anime or manga. Like, Fukumoto isn't just telling a fantasy story or drawing titties, he actually has something to say. I think that's really cool.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
The best thing about Kaiji is that he's about as human as characters can get. 

Actually, that's the second best thing.  The #1 best thing is his jacket.  THAT GODDAMN AWESOME CLASSIC BOMBER JACKET.  It's like the male version of Ryougi Shiki's jacket. 

I am always on the verge of asking a friend with an embroidery machine to make a copy of the blood chit patch for my other flight jacket.  But then I realize I don't wear that jacket ever.  D: 

I missed an event at a con where they were playing Restricted Rock Paper Scissors.  It would OWN if they did it again this year.

Also, relevant: http://www.nekomagic.com/?p=22386
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:10:21 PM by Mohn Jadden Powers »

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
I missed an event at a con where they were playing Restricted Rock Paper Scissors.  It would OWN if they did it again this year.

I assume losers don't get sent into slave labour and winners don't get 5 million yen per star though. That makes it a little bit different than the show. Kinda like a human derby 5 feet off the ground.

Edit: just started watching Season 2 and oh my god it's amazing
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:10:19 PM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.