Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 103041 times)

Cookie

Re: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (1F BETA WHAT)
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
Just something I noticed:
Spoiler:
It's impossible to go back to the forest area after you clear it and are back in the Prelude section.  You have to warp back to the entrance and enter the forest again that way.  Will it be easier to traverse areas in later versions?

For an early beta, though, the game's pretty fun.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
I'm so lost ???

Let Tewi lead me through the forest, it's night, picked up 2 items and now have only one item icon to gauge where I am.

Edit: Found my way out and saved at least :/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:09:39 PM by Pesco »

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »
You know, I wonder if anyone recognises the EX Boss?

Spoiler:
I wanna say Marisa from Story of Eastern Wonderland since it looks like her, though I'm probably wrong.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
Spoiler:
I wanna say Marisa from Story of Eastern Wonderland since it looks like her, though I'm probably wrong.

That was my guess.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »
You know, I wonder if anyone recognises the EX Boss?
Spoiler:
Touhoumon sprite for PC-98 Marisa
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:57 AM »
Spoiler:
Touhoumon sprite for PC-98 Marisa

AHA!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #276 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:12 AM »
*Facepalm*

Yes, that's the obvious answer.

On the other hand, it's not her.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #277 on: September 13, 2010, 02:42:42 AM »
Isn't the EX Boss from
Spoiler:
the Shikigami no Shiro series?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #278 on: September 13, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »
Isn't the EX Boss from
Spoiler:
the Shikigami no Shiro series?
I'm really happy to see someone recognising it 8D

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »
I'm really happy to see someone recognising it 8D

I thought it was :D
Spoiler:
What would you say is a sane level to fight her at, on Lunatic?

Oh, about my dead file. It was at the end of the Beta on Hard, so I'm playing through again on Lunatic.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2010, 03:45:57 AM »
I thought it was :D
Spoiler:
What would you say is a sane level to fight her at, on Lunatic?

Oh, about my dead file. It was at the end of the Beta on Hard, so I'm playing through again on Lunatic.
Um, if you insist on trying to grind to fight her (Noting that the fight isn't really meant to be won and so a great deal of it isn't present at all!), I think she can probably be survived/damaged at around level 40-50?

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
Um, if you insist on trying to grind to fight her (Noting that the fight isn't really meant to be won and so a great deal of it isn't present at all!), I think she can probably be survived/damaged at around level 40-50?

In other words, prepare a week to train.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #282 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Wait, people actually play Shikigama no shiro after they see stage 3? >=P. Anyway I've never even played Touhoumon, but I believe EVERY boss' graphic originates from there so..yeah. I assume they are just placeholders like that? It's kinda funny seeing all these nice enemies at a decent resolution, then the bosses at like 16X12 >=P. I assume this is the source of your desperation for a sprite artist.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #283 on: September 13, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
Wait, people actually play Shikigama no shiro after they see stage 3? >=P. Anyway I've never even played Touhoumon, but I believe EVERY boss' graphic originates from there so..yeah. I assume they are just placeholders like that? It's kinda funny seeing all these nice enemies at a decent resolution, then the bosses at like 16X12 >=P. I assume this is the source of your desperation for a sprite artist.
I'm not all that desperate because I can edit things into this style if I really need to.

If someone feels like doing proper battle graphics for a presently uncounted and ridiculous number of bosses, hey cool I'll accept that!  But I'm kind of fond of it.

Also screw you I love me some Shikigami no Shiro (Mainly #3)

Earthsiege

• Rational Anarchist
  • The balance of power MUST be preserved.
« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
I only had a few minutes to dig through this, but I'll just say...you had me at "Goddamned Bat."  :D
http://pastebin.com/DzbzqF0k - LoT2 reference list. If anyone catches anything, drop me a line.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
I only had a few minutes to dig through this, but I'll just say...you had me at "Goddamned Bat."  :D

yeah... I'm not really sure why that name is so awesome, but it really is isn't it?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »
yeah... I'm not really sure why that name is so awesome, but it really is isn't it?
Goddamned Bats

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:54 PM »
I knew it. Fellow troper, I hail you. I THOUGHT that's where it came from.

THOSE GODDAMN BATS

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »
I knew it. Fellow troper, I hail you. I THOUGHT that's where it came from.

THOSE GODDAMN BATS

Hahaha! Old chap! TVTropes Ftw!

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2010, 12:55:20 AM »
You just have to be careful on the level Garlyle puts the demonic spiders.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
You just have to be careful on the level Garlyle puts the demonic spiders.

True, since the Goddamned Bats are meant as 'Annoying, but not Lethal themself." While Demonic Spiders are 'Annoying and Lethal.'

« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
Alright, I managed to try it out up to the forest maze, because I hate forest mazes, and here's what I think so far. I don't usually play RPGs, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, the boss sprites. They're quite disruptive after the very detailed enemy sprites the player sees. You really, really should change them. If you'd like, I can put together the pictures for you. A quick Danbooru search for Kana already turned up a perfect image to use.

Second, while most of the songs are very fitting, one particular normal battle song just sounds way too epic for a normal fight. It's the one that starts out slow, going "da nanana na naaaaaaaa, da nanana na naaaaaaaa". I can't remember the name of the original, since the tune seems very familiar, but I hope you know which one I mean. On another point, I'm very grateful that you randomized the combat themes. That's one thing LoT was lacking.

Finally, I'm sorry to say, but Akyu's portrait does not look right. Especially when next to Daiyousei or Kana, she looks ridiculously short. I'd suggest either finding a new picture or increasing the size of that one.

Otherwise, it looks good so far. The battle system seems more like a traditional RPG than LoT (attack function is actually useful, HP doesn't regain after fights, random battles really are random, etc.), which is going to take me some time to get used to.

I'll see if I can play some more later. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to this.

(Oh, one last thing. How hard would it be to add a custom portraits system like LoT does? Just a passing question.)
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
Second, while most of the songs are very fitting, one particular normal battle song just sounds way too epic for a normal fight. It's the one that starts out slow, going "da nanana na naaaaaaaa, da nanana na naaaaaaaa".

Sounds like 童祭 ~ Innocent Treasures

@Garlyle: I think I found a new favorite site.  :V

« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
Sounds like 童祭 ~ Innocent Treasures

Yes, that's the one. I knew it sounded familiar.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Yes, that's the one. I knew it sounded familiar.

The other songs are total mysteries? >=P

Anyway I personally like hearing the song during battle. While it does sound more "epic" than what you're used to for a normal battle. there are plenty of things we're used to in RPGS that can be improved upon IMO.

Speaking of bats and spiders... I honestly remember having more frusteration from bats than spiders in videogames. I honestly can't really think of one example of spiders being half as much of a pain. Though god help you if you don't have antivenom (like.. right NOW) if you ever get poisoned by a blink spider in Icewind dale (if you haven't played it, poison can kill...and it will kill your tankiest guy at full health with maxed out poison resistance in about 2 seconds flat...).

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »
On portrait sizes, specifically Akyuu's: I'm kind of okay with her being tiny, but yeah, I'm aware.  It's on my "I might go back and fix that" list.  I'm just glad to -have- a portrait that fits with the rest for her to be honest.
On music: I might drop the intro to Innocent Treasures in the future, we'll see.

And on the boss sprites:
This is something that I slightly was bothered by at first as well, but I've personally come to really enjoy it.  It does give me several advantages - for one, the boss sprites are all uniform to one another.  For another, I already have a complete (or near-complete) collection to draw from.  And for a third, whenever I need a boss sprite I don't have, they're not so high quality that I can't create it myself.  As I'm a one man team, these are some extremely large advantages.

Not only that, but having them look different from everything else in the tower is, in a very strange sort of way, a little symbolic in the overarching scenario.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
Boss Sprites: Basicly, your a genius :)

Akyu: Isn't she something like, 10 years old? Her being short makes sense. I like it as well.

Danmaku Attacks: What stat is used for the various Danmaku attacks, like Puzzling Danmaku?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
Boss Sprites: Basicly, your a genius :)

Akyu: Isn't she something like, 10 years old? Her being short makes sense. I like it as well.

Danmaku Attacks: What stat is used for the various Danmaku attacks, like Puzzling Danmaku?
Puzzling = INT
Fast = AGI
Strong/Powerful (I forget the adjective) = STR
Magical = MAG

They're all Danmaku-elemental as well, which basically functions as a 'default' element in this, along with Familiar-elemental.  Very little will pack a resistance to it, but very little will also carry a weakness.
All the other elements carry an opposite as well - an enemy that's particularly strong will generally be very vulneurable to the opposite (This'll be covered in the next beta's tutorials I swear)

Metal <> Magic
Fire <> Cold
Sky <> Land
Phantom <> Light
Melee <> Sensory

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
Ahhhh thank you. I was wondering about that :3

Danmaku element... like Almighty in the SMT games, but with capability to be resisted or or weak to... nice :3

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:21 AM »
Welp I just 1cc'd SA using ReimuC for the first time (I just stick with ReimuA), and the ending has the line "tired out". So even if that's not really proper english (or proper slang), it's fair game if it's part of a canon Touhou game already I suppose >=P.

I wanna play this again but recettear and civ5 and other stuffs..Castlevania soon too. WTF do games always come in bursts?!