Author Topic: ※ Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense ※ [CONCLUDED + JUDGEMENT!]  (Read 24157 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense

Welcome to Rika and Nitori's contest number 9. Now that August has arrived, it is time to stop slacking. I am sure most of you got a nice tan and been eating food non-stop the entire summer. Either way, it doesn't matter if you are ugly or beautiful, slim or fat. In this contest, you can be anything you want. Exactly! Welcome to 'Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense' , a contest where self-insert is not punished by yelling, bashing and physical injuries. However, this contest will be held in Danmakufu Ph3 Beta. Just so we can make things a little more juicy. You will self-insert yourself, or an forum member into your script and come up with a "fitting" theme, profile and set of attacks.

Objectives:
- You must use Danmakufu Ph3 Beta.
- Develop a Touhou Danmakufu script with a boss fight. You may script a stage/full game before the boss fight.
- The boss must be a self-insert character. It must be you or a MotK forum member. (Ask the user for permission if you decide to insert a MotK member)
- Boss fight length: up to max 3 non cards and 3 SC.  (Survival SCs may not last longer than 60s)
- Optional: write a profile for the self-insert boss in the same style as Perfect Memento in Strict Sense. Not required but recommended.
- In case you script a midboss: max 1 non-sc and sc

Judgement
The following parts of your script will be taken into judgement:
- Gameplay, max 10 points. [70%]
- Graphics, SFX, BGM, max 10 points. [15%]
- Self-insert validation (is the boss profile + attacks "fitting" the user?) max 10 points. [15%]

% of points summed == final score.

Submission rules
- Everybody can join, there is no sign up. Though obviously max 1 submission per person.
- Your script must be compatible with standard 'Ph3 beta' installation.
- Any custom libraries, scripts, images are your own responsibility for working correctly when extracting.
- Upload your script in RAR or ZIP format and PM me the link. Make sure the download works after the deadline!
- Very appreciated if you would use 'Contest 9 ..........' as PM header. So I don't have to dig around my inbox =3

Results
Submitter -----Gameplay -----Graphics &co -----Self-insert validation -----Total -----
SFN755,56,48
Schezo7777,00
Kazu7,587,57,58
Sasupoila8967,85

Comments:
SFN >> Starting out with the explanation. There was no PMiSS profile so I don't know who this distorting bunch of blocks was. A flat 5,5 for that. The music didn't add to the feeling of the entire fight. SFX were basic and there was no background nor spell card background. On to the game play, the first non-card and spell card is actually harder than the next ones. Seeing that I only got Rumia to play, it took really long for some spell cards or non cards to puncture through. The first spell card felt bad, a cheap ripoff from Miko in 10D. However, following up cards/attacks were interesting. Especially the spell card with the blue balls floating from the sides, wiggling around. That was really fun. Pitty the author didn't add more of these type of spell cards, it would've really increased his score.

Schezo >> PMiSS document found for Schezo, the non-animated boy and Kitten4u, who seems pretty scared and in panic. Document was styled according to PMiSS, but the content was questionable for regular people (non-mafia) among us. For this reason, I cannot grade it higher than an 7. On to the 'nice things', we have a sprite for these two. Kitten4u keeps blocking you from shooting at the boss, being really annoying (as most cats often are imo). The music was primarily Suwa Foughten Field which mixed bit in/out of it. Basic usage of graphics, BGM,SFX so it is fine. Finally, the game play: The script comes with three difficulty levels. I started out on easiest, to beat the game first (hooray!). I understand that coming up with dual-enemy attacks is quite challenging. Most of the spell cards felt therefore randomish. The patterns being used were visible, but not really adding the feeling. The difficulty levels do not give you any different cards/patterns, just more spam.

Kazu >> PMiSS document found. Teleportation person from possibly outside world. I wonder if he and Patchouli study together some magic. This little boy seems to be quite annoying, at least, his face looks like being a pretty annoying prankster =P. Either way, we have a 3D stage here! Even if it is just a hallway, it adds to the 'feeling' of Touhou. BGM and SFX were well used and basic. I don't have much to explain about the graphics and stuff, go see for yourself. About the patterns, first I didn't like the non cards. Not because they are easy, but each cycle of non card was similar to previous , just more spam (why do people keep doing such things, makes me wonder). The spell cards were decent. The final spell card both made me happy and sad at the same time. The bullets, they actually SHIFT sideways if you move sideways as well. I think I never seen this before in the contests, so it really made me try hard on the spell card. It felt bit too long, but nothing dramatic. Still I cannot grade it higher than a 7,5 because the non-cards were bothersome.

Sasu >> Even if there is a PMiSS document, it contained pretty much just few info.  Cannot rate it more than 6. "You look strong, I am going to kick your ass". I had to laugh at this irl, accompanied with the dialogue face, it was funny to read. Right, so we are high in the sky, fighting a bomber. Now I am not a fan of these type of games/enemies, but we'll have to be objective here. The stage felt good, the clouds passing by at high speed adds to the feeling. The bomber plane looks sweet. Everything is smoothly animated and designed. A custom life bar. Well, this is for sure a 9.  About the game play: When I saw the bomber I was like: "Oh man, not this again." When the bullets starting flying I was like: "Yep, this again." Well, since this was a touhou-based contest (pmiss emphasis), I'll have to be sceptic about the game play. Sure, the patterns are nice for high speed dodgers and analysers among us. But these type of patterns feel like random spamming to me. No feeling for the actual 'spell card' concept. While the sequences were fast, tight and well designed, I am going to deduct points and consider both lifebars one non-card.

And with that... the winner is kind of obvious now, but close!

Sasupoika!

Congratulations. You are rewarded with a #1 spot in the Hall of Fame + Idiot Princess title.

Even if we had only 4 submissions, I am still happy that the ph3 help thread became active. We all hope for the beta to become a stable release with all functions functional, but yea. Until then, take care.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:43:14 PM by Helepolis »

Re: ※ Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense ※
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
self-insert
‿‿

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:46 AM »
Going to unsticky this for a while so people will actually read it. Everybody just glazes over the stickies in RaNGE.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »
Don't think I'll join this one... Too busy with school stuff... Good luck to everyone through! :3
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Cykyrios

• 猫巫女霊夢
  • にゃにゃにゃにゃにゃん
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
Now I feel bad about not continuing to help translating all the functions of ph3, got bored a little...
Won't be able to continue though, as I'll be in India until the end of August.

Good luck to all of the participants !

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
Now I feel bad about not continuing to help translating all the functions of ph3, got bored a little...
Won't be able to continue though, as I'll be in India until the end of August.

Good luck to all of the participants !

We've got a few people on IRC and in the Q&A threads that have a pretty good handle of ph3 already so I'm sure we'll manage.
Thinking of joining since it'd be easy for me, but I've been busy with other stuff lately. If I do join though, bagel danmaku.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »
Hurk ph3beta

If I can figure it out quickly enough, I guess I'll join.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:28:14 PM »
I guess I won't be actually doing anything to this contest, but I'll probably help with someone else's.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »
Y'all need to participate >:I

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
I plan to... but it's not exactly slow right now.  That and I mostly have no idea what I'm doing.  Still, I'll try.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
people you have a goddamn month you are not "too busy" and you have more than enough time to "figure out" ph3

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:41:19 AM »
Y'all need to participate >:I
people you have a goddamn month you are not "too busy" and you have more than enough time to "figure out" ph3
I hope you guys like rainbows

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »
I'll give my shot on this contest as well. First I need to figure who to insert >=3

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
I'll give my shot on this contest as well. First I need to figure who to insert >=3
ooh do me!

In fact everyone should do me. BV

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
ooh do me!

In fact everyone should do me. BV
That, sounded, totally, wrong.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »
I hope you guys like rainbows
You bet we do >:D

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »

Ummm... I'm part of 3-4 varsities in my school, plus I have 7 assessments (projects and papers) that I have to do within this weekend alone :V also, our equivalent of semestral tests are coming soon and I have a science contest coming up...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:45:04 PM by Kylesky »
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
Oh shiny, I was just thinking about getting off my fat ass and doing something halfway productive.

Self-insert, huh? Better brush up on my blue magic. Err... I mean, my 8lue Magic.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
...blue magic. Err... I mean, my 8lue Magic.

Threat detected...! Threat detected...!

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
Threat detected...! Threat detected...!

Ahaha, no, nothing like that. In fact, I was thinking of pulling a Blue Raja, and having absolutely no blue anywhere in sight. I'll be using some of the iconic blue spells from Final Fantasy (transparently name swapped, for decency's sake).

Preliminary spell list:
Learned from Sanae [Pale Gust]
Learned from Yukari [Stage 5 Oblivion]
Learned from Mokou [Explosion]

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
If we decide to make a stage, how long can the midboss be?  1 nonspell 1spellcard?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
Well I suppose I should finish up what I started on the Wiki as well
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 06:07:12 AM »
If we decide to make a stage, how long can the midboss be?  1 nonspell 1spellcard?
I think that sounds about right. I'll update it in the rules.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 06:59:30 AM »
I need to design danmaku-tans for me to shoot

How is that even going to work ???

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
I need to design danmaku-tans for me to shoot

How is that even going to work ???
Duuuuuuude.

Yuugen-Magan eye + fedora + sandwich danmaku  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
Duuuuuuude.

Yuugen-Magan eye + fedora + sandwich danmaku  :V

Twisted Cookery "Gwahaha"

Also, I think I'll return to the garage, at least temporarily, to give this a whirl. I don't expect to do well at all, given what happened in the past, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: ※ Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense ※ [9 days left]
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
Reminder of 9 days remaining until dead line.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: ※ Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense ※ [7 days left]
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
Aw crap put this off too long.

I'll see what I can make in one weekend D:

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: ※ Contest 9 - Perfect Memento in Self-insert Sense ※ [4 days left]
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Four days remaining.