Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222900 times)

Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land :V

I love how many secrets there are placed pretty much everywhere, like tiny planks that lead to 1ups or running past the goal to grab star medals. It makes exploring every nook and cranny interesting and worthwhile.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
I'd consider getting SR3, though the notoriously bad release of SR2 on the PC (as well as lack of time, money, and hard drive space) hold me off. Then again, GTA IV and LA Noire have just as bad PC launches, with poor optimization and for some time a large number of users unable to run the games smoothly on even high-end systems.

Not playing much else, barring Minecraft and TF2, at this current time.

EDIT: What the hell SR3? GTA-style cheats are being sold now as DLC? Even though they can be unlocked without purchase, well, this is a bit absurd.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:44:14 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
The usual shizzle: Counter-Strike and DotA when I feel like killing time online. Managed to lay off Minecraft after getting b& from MotK's very own MC server. However, Team Fortress 2 with a friend took its place, so it's not all happy.

As for the single-player: Hellsinker. It is so brainraep to try to explain the plot behind it using what little information the English-speaking fandom has gathered so far. But it's quite fun to play. It's a bullet hell too, you know. Like Touhou.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »
I really wanted a Renamon, so I knew when it was released I'd have to get it.  It's Cash Shop only, so I shrugged and bought it.  It turned out to be a 5/5.  It's so much taller than me.  And I've only seen a couple other players with one and it's taller than them xD.  And I think it's going to be stronger than Lalamon when it catches up to her level.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »
Go away Baldur's Gate II

I didn't want to remember I own you (because that will force me to play you).

Wild Mage/Fighter that looks like Revya from Soul Nomad is go.  Sigh.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent

wait wild mage/fighter that means dual-classing away from mage why would you do that (and into vanilla fighter of all things agh)

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
Final Fantasy X once again. This game never grows old. Makes me wonder exactly what this HD re-release will be like too.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
Okay, uhh, months and months overdue for an update from me. :V

Zelda Twilight Princess- Started this last month, if not sooner. Enjoyable little romp. I've clocked in thirty hours, and have reached the Temple of Time tonight. Lets see if I can somehow finish before Skyward Sword shows up.

Sonic Colors- started in July, and no longer have any excuse not to finish since I have a TV in my room again.

Sonic Generations- Finished the main campaign, working on challenges, because I'm a semi-completionist and achievement whore.

Okami- Really, really need to finish this someday...

Metro 2033- Great narrative, but the laconic combat caused me to forget about it quickly; I do plan on finishing someday.

S4 League- Been playing it on and off lately, and by that, I mean play it once or twice, then leave it alone for months. I got back into though, due to the Iron Eyes update. Holy cow, this game has come a good way since 2008...

C21- I want to love this game again, but Sighberstep seriously has no clue when to fuck off.

Rusty Hearts- Because I gotta have my stylized brawlers with slightly-clunky controls.

DFO- been off this for months due to Rusty Hearts, and Nexon continuing to be a gigantic, galactic asshole.

Dragon Nest- See above. Though, I have a much better chance of getting back into this one because Nexon has been less retarded with it, and because the game itself is less retarded than DFO, which insists on doing stupid nonsense at every turn.

Dead Space- This is one of the best games I've ever played, seriously. And I normally don't even like this genre much at all. Just completed chapter 7 the other night.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland- Oh my god, Kirby, why do never get old? Currently on world 6, but will have to do some back tracking as I have missed stuff.

Kirby's Dreamland 3- What a classic. Replaying this is so nostalgic. Helps that it has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Dystopia- Still playing this, though, as with S4, I've kinda dropped off due to playing too much. It, along with S4 is still a standby though, and actually replaced S4 for a while.

Super Street Figher 4 AE- I really need to get serious about playing online... Oh, and I need to step up my execution; doing SRK's when you want to double qfc (or vice-versa) is no fun.

AvP 2010- Can't find a multiplayer match for shit. :|  Also need to do campaigns on the highest difficulties.

Duke Nukem Forever- Finished the campaign like two months ago. Been meaning to multiplayer.

Cluthulhu Saves the World- Must. Finish. One. Day.

Anomaly Warzone Earth- One of the best indie games ever. Also really need to finish.

Everything Trackmania.

Okay, that sums it up.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent

wait wild mage/fighter that means dual-classing away from mage why would you do that (and into vanilla fighter of all things agh)
Actually I may or may not have shadow-whatevered my way into that as a Multiclass (despite normally being unable to multiclass with a kit).  I just enjoyed the concept too much.

And it is so fun.  Minsc, Edwin, Jan, Korgan, Viconia.  It's... certainly a party!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
Just for kicks, I reinstalled Call of Duty: United Offensive for the first time in about 5 years. Holding the line at Bastogne and sprinting between the tail gun and dorsal turret in a bomber are just as exciting when I first played through them. Y'know, I really the way CoD used to be, when it was more of a successful FPS with spirit and spunk instead of a cash cow action movie game franchise.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Luna Scarlet

• Eternal Scarlet Moon
  • Red Crimson Vermilion Scarlet, Same but Different.
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Playing Odin Sphere....
The story is so epic that I wanna cry because of it~

The Scarlet Moon shines beautifully at the darkness of the sky.
Worry not what you have lost, Cherish what you have gained.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
Actually I may or may not have shadow-whatevered my way into that as a Multiclass (despite normally being unable to multiclass with a kit).  I just enjoyed the concept too much.

And it is so fun.  Minsc, Edwin, Jan, Korgan, Viconia.  It's... certainly a party!
Minsc will be a problem, especially with Edwin, but with mod tools you probably do not care!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2011, 04:58:08 AM »
Yeah, I have the game lightly modded.  No like "hey I have super items" or any shit like that, but just little convenience things - like, Edwin and Minsc will still argue (or Viconia and Korgan, or... any other combination of this group, really, I mean look at them), but won't leave.  And I won't have to worry about reputation causing constant bitching and/or leaving from everyone because normally the party would have issues with that too.

So yeah.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
So I played against CS Online's boss and added the boss battle theme from DoDonPachi as the custom theme. The results? you'd be the judge :V
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:49:55 AM by [K]KoaMeow »

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »
Welp. Saints Row 3 complete. It was much shorter than I had expected.. There were just as many awesome moments as there were disappointing ones, but overall I enjoyed my experience in Steelport.

Now, back to the usual TF2/Minecraft adventures!

Angelfire

• Oh, you can't help that.
  • Mostly everyone's mad here.
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
Heroes Over Europe.

inb4 STOP FAPPING TO SPITFIRES
Without beginning or end

The ring stretches on into the infinite.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »
So I played against CS Online's boss and added the boss battle theme from DoDonPachi as the custom theme. The results? you'd be the judge :V
Now I wonder if CS: GO will have boss fights. :3
Knowing Valve, though, it's quite unlikely (however, since TF2 has them...:V). After all CS Online is a Nexon game using Valve's IP, and this boss fight, well, doesn't look like it would belong in a regular CS game. (Good music choice, though)

Played a ton of this last time I was at Korea (it was among the most commonly played games in the PC rooms there). While I'd like to pick this up again, I still prefer the 1.6/Source experience (especially with all the mods...Deathrun and Gungame are always fun) and moreover TF2 and Minecraft have taken up my multiplayer time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:19:03 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
Bad command or file name

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
CS is wonderful, hopefully CS:GO will be as wonderful like the old times as well. At least we know one custom game mode is becoming an official mode for GO.

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Hey, this game looks pretty fun. Is it a mod to Counter-Strike, or the Japanese version of the game? I heard CS was re-released in Japan as something different, more action-oriented or something... is that it? It actually looks pretty damn fun.

Where can I get it?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »
Cadrin, that version you were describing would be Counter-Strike Neo, which was redesigned for the Japanese arcade market.

CS Online is made by Nexon Corporation (Korean MMO company) under Valve license, and is geared for the Korean and Chinese PC cafe markets in particular. It relies on micro-transactions, I believe.
IIRC it runs off the GoldSrc Engine as well, for whatever reason.

I haven't seen many Online players in US though. Most here play 1.6 or Source.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:18:27 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

The game is still so great even now. I never did play the original much though. I think I beat that on Heroic and never could clear some of the levels on Legendary.

I'm up to Silent Cartographer on Legendary. The level before, Truth and Reconciliation, was one of the 3 I never beat on Legendary in the original, but the skulls added to this version helped me with it. The first print and preorder bonus skull Grunt Funeral combined with Boom is a very powerful combo. I'll try to do the levels I never beat on the original on Legendary without skulls some time, but for now I'm just playing with them on. I just have no idea how I'll deal with T&R without them on, or how the Mythic community are going to clear some of the levels all skulls on(even with infinite ammo skull) or detrimental/neutral skulls only.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
Hey, this game looks pretty fun. Is it a mod to Counter-Strike, or the Japanese version of the game? I heard CS was re-released in Japan as something different, more action-oriented or something... is that it? It actually looks pretty damn fun.

Where can I get it?
Here you go. http://cso.iahgames.com/Site/Index.aspx

Geared for the Korean and Chinese PC cafe markets in particular. It relies on micro-transactions, I believe.
Actually, it's geared to Asian markets, considering that they have gone from South Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Singapore/Malaysia (the version I'm playing at the moment, since I am a Malaysian) and most recently Indonesia.

More info, click on the CS logo on my sig.
Spoiler:
Shameless plug rocl.
:V
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:21:18 PM by [K]KoaMeow »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
Here you go. http://cso.iahgames.com/Site/Index.aspx
Ah, it spread to Singapore already? Not surprised considering the growing PC game market in SE Asia (the East Asia ones, particularly Korea and Taiwan, seem mature already).
I'd put the link to the official Korean site where updates come earlier, but there seems to be little need to do so. Though I'll say that Zombie Scenario Season 2 is all the rage there.

Actually, it's geared to Asian markets, considering that they have gone from South Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Singapore/Malaysia (the version I'm playing at the moment, since I am a Malaysian) and most recently Indonesia.
Indeed it is, but I was used to the Korean circuit, being from there myself.

Doesn't seem like it's well-supported in US/CA, AU/NZ, or EU/RU, alas, even though Valve and Nexon, who both have large western presences (in N. America at least), have collaborated with this....

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:39:53 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
Bad command or file name

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
If Nexon Korea is making this game, then you guys better be SURE it will have boss fights.

Nexon does like it's bosses, after all.

@Thread

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Post-Game stuff, still playing the living shit out of Elsword and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, went back to Final Fantasy XIII for some reason, still leveling up in Fallout: New Vegas, finished Mothership Zeta in Fallout 3, waiting for the right time to go buy Assassin's Creed: Revelations, back to Touhou, now playing some TD Harudo Modo.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
Ah, it spread to Singapore already? Not surprised considering the growing PC game market in SE Asia (the East Asia ones, particularly Korea and Taiwan, seem mature already).
Actually it went gold last year, it went all blazes when the open beta was finished, and stuff happens. CSO SG/MY Just went through its 1st birthday last Halloween.

Not a big surprise since most people have played the Taiwan/Hong Kong version, and everyone on Facebook is now screaming for "RELEASE ZOMBIE MODE 3!". That's a hell lot of things to catch up rocl :V

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
I decided to play me some Castlevania Circle of the Moon. Great game that is. I'm going for a Magician run. That apparently means that your stats are tweaked in order to make you a better mage and in addition, you start off with all DSS cards unlocked. Currently, I'm at the Necromancer and I'm level 8. And boy, he is hard. I might be able to beat him easier if I abused the DSS cards but I'd rather defeat him without them. Well, okay, i'll take a strength buff from Venus/Salamander but that's about it.

Its a fun battle but its also pretty long at such a low level and I outright refuse to grind for levels since that kills some of the challenge. However, it doesn't kill the challenge to put up a save-state right before the boss instead of running all that way everytime you lose. Its not hard to get there without taking damage but it sure would be annoying to do everytime.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:37 AM »
I decided to play me some Castlevania Circle of the Moon. Great game that is. I'm going for a Magician run. That apparently means that your stats are tweaked in order to make you a better mage and in addition, you start off with all DSS cards unlocked. Currently, I'm at the Necromancer and I'm level 8. And boy, he is hard. I might be able to beat him easier if I abused the DSS cards but I'd rather defeat him without them. Well, okay, i'll take a strength buff from Venus/Salamander but that's about it.

Its a fun battle but its also pretty long at such a low level and I outright refuse to grind for levels since that kills some of the challenge. However, it doesn't kill the challenge to put up a save-state right before the boss instead of running all that way everytime you lose. Its not hard to get there without taking damage but it sure would be annoying to do everytime.
Have fun with the late game boss fights on Magician mode.  You can be at a normal level and get 1-2 shotted by bosses without damn good armor (And even then, it probably lets you survive one extra hit at best).

Anyways...

Skyrim - Had to rescue this one guy for a quest in Whiterun.  I kinda regret deciding to find my own way to do it because I couldn't seem to talk anyone into releasing the guy...meaning I had to cut through ~10+ Thalmor Guards, some Archers, and a few Mages.  All decked out in Elven Armor...and takes a ton of punishment on Master difficulty to boot.  With some smart thinking, I got all the way to the boss enemy using minimal potions.

Boss enemy?  Friggin' mage  :(.  I burned every last damned potion I had because the sucker took MORE punishment than the damned guards.

On the plus side, got enough money to get a home in Whiterun.  Finally!

Also killed my first dragon, whee.  It's surprisingly nasty.  I stay in its breath for more than a second and I pretty much hug the floor and have to try again.  Histskin can only do so much to save my ass against that stuff.  Stinks when the dragon's low on health as it'll stay on the ground and basically belch fire at anything nearby.

I got a huge laugh when it picked up a guard in its jaws, shook him around for a bit, then tossed him out of its mouth.  I'd have tried to get close, but it almost always roasted me when I tried it if it wasn't distracted.  Thusly I sticked to pelting it with arrows until it folded.

I'm not looking forward to fighting a dragon solo if such a moment occurs.

Currently lv8.  Gonna try to make a bit of gold to get the last two upgrades I need for my Whiterun house.

FF6: Is The Best Game Ever - In the World of the Ruin.  I overgrinded I think in the WoB because holy crap Marvel Shoes.  +7 Vig/Sta/Spd/Mag + Auto-Safe/Shell/Haste/Regen?  Hell yes please.

I basically made most bosses after the Magitek Factory cry.  Except for the boss in house 'o flames in Thamasa.  The boss itself did crap all damage, but the Balloons?  They have 2000 HP and my best attack is Strago's Aqua Rake for ~650 to all of them.  Balloons have Exploder.  Exploder sucks if they cast it before I can get off 2 Aqua Rakes.  Morph'd Terra doesn't help much either, even if Morph was changed.  It's now infinite duration and is like the Junk Armor set from MMZ4 in the sense that Terra will deal 2x damage with everything, but also take 2x damage from every attack that hits her.

Rest of WoB after that was lulzs.  Lv30 characters vs. Atma Weapon...yeah I owned basically.  It had all of one attack that was dangerous at my level, Destroy (Instant death, whee!).

WoR is setup rather interestingly.  Basically, you're supposed to skip all chests and run from fights to get all characters back in your party, then use the various areas to level up and get new equipments.  It's setup this way so you can use your favorite characters wherever you want and still enjoy some tough normal enemies and some bosses. 

The bosses in the way of getting characters are not too bad, but still, can't let your guard down on them.  Umaro is probably the sole exception.  Tritoch is a bit of an ass to deal with if you don't cheese the hell out of it.  Fighting Umaro himself though is not that bad.

Currently running a team of Shadow, Locke, Celes, and Relm, all around the mid 30s right now.

To compare, the readme states you probably can't beat the game at...level 75.  Considering what some of the enemies in the high level zones dealt in damage, I'm inclined to believe that for the moment.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
Have fun with the late game boss fights on Magician mode.  You can be at a normal level and get 1-2 shotted by bosses without damn good armor (And even then, it probably lets you survive one extra hit at best).

Heh. Sounds like Adramalech, Hugh and the Zombie Twin Dragons are gonna be nasty.

Skyrim - Had to rescue this one guy for a quest in Whiterun.  I kinda regret deciding to find my own way to do it because I couldn't seem to talk anyone into releasing the guy...meaning I had to cut through ~10+ Thalmor Guards, some Archers, and a few Mages.  All decked out in Elven Armor...and takes a ton of punishment on Master difficulty to boot.  With some smart thinking, I got all the way to the boss enemy using minimal potions.

Boss enemy?  Friggin' mage  :(.  I burned every last damned potion I had because the sucker took MORE punishment than the damned guards.

Heh. I remember doing that quest too. I decided I wanted to do it alone so I could sneak my way through but apparently these guys were bigger bitches than that. Luckily, it turns out that once they get far enough away from their base, they start going back again with their backs turned effectively allowing me to stealth attack them for 30x damage. BITCH!

I'm not looking forward to fighting a dragon solo if such a moment occurs.

I haven't encountered any that aren't outside which means you can tank them with a horse. That's pretty helpful.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:36:50 AM by Zengeku »

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land.

So far, it's very good. I'm in World 3 right now... but I had some stupid deaths. Oh well, doesn't matter much.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
Heh. Sounds like Adramalech, Hugh and the Zombie Twin Dragons are gonna be nasty.
I don't remember Adramalech being that nasty.  The little skulls he spawns are easily blocked with whip twirling.  Maybe the giant fireballs it can sling at you can be a pain to dodge, but that's about it.

Twin Zombie Dragons & Hugh?  Yeah, those fights are gonna be lovely.

When I'm thinking about bosses that can easily 1-2 shot you, first thought was Camilla in the Waterways.  That giant screw off beam her skull fires is most likely an OHKO or 2 hit KO.

Final Dracula's flaming charge is most certainly an OHKO, but honestly, on any mode not named Fighter, that's probably an OHKO or 2 hit KO anyways so yeah.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
Camilla herself isn't so tough to kill in magician mode though, just use the Thunder-Element Summon combo all the time.
Also damn handy for Drac too.

It's spammy, but that's kinda what you're meant to do in Magician Mode from my experiences.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure