Author Topic: The White Rose of Chireiden  (Read 131729 times)

Re: The White Rose of Chireiden - Satori Eye Z
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2009, 05:41:27 AM »
True, but I'll be sad if Utsuho gets killed off. ;-;
You can't do that! The future will be changed! You'll create a time paradox!

Knuckx117

• I go :V at silly pictures
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
I wanna see more updates of this! I really enjoy reading your stories.

Gpop

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
I wanna see more updates of this! I really enjoy reading your stories.

She was taking a two week break from this. The next update is probably this Wednesday though.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »
Needs moar plz :v

This is actually making me like the characters from SA - of which I originally could only stand Orin, and THATS just because she's a cat and I'm a cat-person (the fact that she's also wearing a green dress with red hair {in pigtails topped with cat ears} has absolutely nothing to do with it at all nope not a thing nope nope nope oh and these pictures had nothing to do with it either)

In my professional opinion, I could see this being adopted as legitimate backstory for Touhou - it would kinda explain why we don't hear from Shinki much anymore, and blah blah blah read it it makes sense what I say to you open your ears

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
I was watching warmly, but then I watched for too long, and now I'm kinda cold.

Watching warmly some more. (bump, waiting patiently for continuation)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2010, 07:24:57 AM »
I was watching warmly, but then I watched for too long, and now I'm kinda cold.

Watching warmly some more. (bump, waiting patiently for continuation)

Gah, you caught me! D: I wanted to finish Sweet Dreams before I came back to White Rose. For some reason, I find it difficult to concentrate on one plot at a time. I always need a distraction.

That said, I have been working on White Rose as well. And since you asked so nicely, have an update, just for you!

Koishi looked out the window. It was up to Satori to work things out.

?Let's see. This book says that the kasha are by nature corpse-carriers, connected to death... they were consulted as mystics of sorts for their ability to communicate with the spirits of the dead... they also used to work as garbage-bearers, graveyard-tenders... wow, this is just a list of really awful jobs... they have a bad reputation around civilized areas, though, people accused them of black magic on the surface... the kasha retreated to the underground, to escape persecution... down here, they're relatively free and they've been tending to the Hell of Blazing Fires for the past century or so.?

Satori flipped the page of the book she was reading, an old encyclopedia of the sentient youkai species living in the subterranean realms. ?Oh, neat, some of them used to be employed by Higan as shinigami, but ever since Chireiden fell into disuse and was eventually abandoned by the Yama, they've been doing their corpse-gathering thing... er, 'shtick'. They also speak a different language amongst themselves, but there's no written guide to it, as it's generally discouraged for them to speak in this language to outsiders. Heh, sounds like us.?

?Except we're lucky enough to be in charge, and they aren't,? Koishi said, her eyes watching something out the window.

Satori sighed and closed the book. ?Why are you so curious all of a sudden? The kasha have always been there. It's not like they should be anything new.?

?Somehow, I never even noticed them,? her sister replied.

Satori closed her eyes for a brief moment; Koishi didn't take her gaze away from what she had been looking at. Her sister opened her eyes again and smiled.

?I don't think you'll be able to see that girl from up here, Koishi.?

?I'm really just surprised that the ghetto was there and I never noticed it. It's huge. I wonder how many kasha live there.?

?According to the census two years ago, a couple thousand or so.?

?Thousands. How come we never hear about them??

?They have a lot of strange customs, sorella bella,? Satori replied, opening another book. ?First there's the language thing, then they tame minor spirits, mostly zombie fairies, and use them as familiars. They only eat certain kinds of food, and they have some really bizarre religious customs, like monotheism... pretty esoteric stuff. They all follow a strict code of behaviour, but we have no idea what it is... they don't socialize with outsiders.?

?They don't socialize with outsiders, or outsiders don't socialize with them??

Koishi wondered if her sister knew just how that question was loaded. Satori answered as politely as she could.

?It's probably both, you know.?

?A lot of them are artisans and merchants, but they only work in the ghetto. The marketplace was literally right down the alley, but they didn't merge, and no one came from one to the other.?

?The kasha refuse outside contact. They have no natural links with any of the other youkai species, and they're left alone. Those on the outside looking in have no way to get to know any kasha. The fault lies with both sides, Koishi.?

?Especially with us.? Koishi turned to Satori, her Third Eye following. ?What the heck is the point of having these Third Eyes if we don't use them for good reasons? Why else are we HERE, Satori??

?We just are.? Satori shrugged. ?Just because we were born as satori doesn't make us morally responsible for everyone we come across, does it??

?If we have this ability, we should use it for more than politics.? Koishi's expression didn't change, but her Third Eye narrowed. ?Isn't that what Dad is always saying??

?When he has time for us,? Satori muttered. ?But really, that doesn't make any sense. Just because we're satori doesn't mean we have to do crazy things like, like... I don't know, something like go around saving people in distress and putting our lives at risk! I mean, Okuu can fly, but you don't see her swooping down to save people from falling into the Hell of Blazing Fires all the time. We can't be obsessed with helping others and not ourselves.?

Okuu stirred in her sleep in her nest in the Komeijis' windowsill. Satori continued in a quieter tone.

?And on the surface, there are youkai with very different abilities than what we have down here. Youkai that are as strong as oni. I don't see them wanting to help everyone, and I don't think they're obligated to.?

?I never said it was like that. I just mean that perhaps we should use our abilities for what we think is right, not just for personal gain. It'd be risky, yeah. But there are people who need our help, Satori, and we can give it.?

Satori stammered, then sighed, dropping her head. She looked back up at her sister with a smile. ?It's always surprising how you and I reach the same conclusions, you know.?

?Oh??

?I agree with you, you know. We should use our abilities for good, and not be like the rest of those idiot satori nobles, always squabbling over power and position. I didn't know you were thinking of the same thing yourself.?

Koishi giggled. ?Great minds think alike.?

?Yeah, but I'll always beat you by a second or so.? Satori winked. ?Why did you guys visit the kasha ghetto, anyway? Did you get lost or something??

?Oh, uh--? her sister stumbled over her words, then coughed and cleared her throat-- and her mind. ?We, uh. We wanted to find a pet or something.?

It was close enough to the truth that Satori raised an eyebrow. ?A pet??

?Yeah. Like one of those blind fishes that live in total darkness, or one of those cool electrical eels that light up the dark.? Koishi smiled. ?Pets are cute, aren't they??

?They are,? Satori said, glancing at Okuu. ?They're good company when you're feeling lonely.?

Her sister looked at her face and repressed the urge to tell her how she wanted to get her a pet. But she decided to use the opportunity to sound out Satori's preferences. ?Do you want to get another yatagarasu??

If Satori noticed Koishi scheming, she didn't say anything. ?Well, not a yatagarasu... Okuu is enough. Maybe another pet... something huggable that I can hold a decent conversation with.?

?How about a tsurube-otoshi?? Koishi offered. ?You know, one of those cute bucket youkai.?

?They are adorable,? Satori giggled. ?I'd love to get one. I hear they're easily domesticated, even if you do have to carry around that bucket until they reach adulthood...?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII--

?Eh?!? Koishi and Satori jumped at the sound of the alarm.

?What the heck is it?!? Koishi exclaimed. ?The fire alarm?!?

?It's not the Palace fire alarm. It's from outside!? Satori rushed to the far window, where a startled Okuu had woken up. ?It's the Chireiden siren!?

?A fire in the city?? Koishi leapt to her sister's side and looked out the window. ?It's not on this side of the city, where's the smoke??

?Claxons are so annoying,? Okuu grumbled, not really awake yet.

Koishi ran to the other window, then seemed to instantly go pale. ?Oh no!?

?What is it?? Satori asked as she came to her sister's side and looked out the window. Then she gasped and covered her mouth with her hand. ?Is that--!?

?The kasha ghetto! It's burning!? Koishi cried. ?Okuu! Get up! Get up, come on!?

?Huh? What?? Utsuho yawned as the younger sister ran over to her and picked her up. ?What's the matter??

?Transform, quick! It's an emergency!? Koishi carried her over to the window and pointed. ?Look! The kasha ghetto is on fire!?

?Holy--? Utsuho closed her eyes and in a shimmer of red, she began to fill out a larger form. The sisters had to turn away for a moment; when they looked back, the hellcrow was in her humanoid youkai form, and she stepped out of a slight heat haze and extended her hand to Koishi. ?Come on. We've got no time to waste.?

Koishi nodded and climbed on Utsuho's back. ?Satori, we'll be back as soon as possible!?

?But what can you do, Koishi?? Satori asked. ?Why are you going at all??

?Because.? The younger sister smiled. ?The purpose of the nobility is to protect the people, and if I can help them, I will! Now come on, Okuu!?

Utsuho nodded and leapt past Satori, landing on the windowsill. Bending her knees just long enough for Koishi to nod to her sister one last time, she jumped into the air, extended her wings, and soared towards the burning buildings to the east of the city.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
On the way down to Chireiden, Eiki had realized that it might give the wrong idea if she came down to the city dressed in uniform. So she handed the command of the army over to Sumire for a moment while she wandered off to a small side tunnel to change back into her shinigami outfit.

Komachi followed her at a distance, as her personal attendant, while Eiki carried her geta and her change of clothes. Normally geta would be thoroughly impractical for marches, but these were special. They were her tools of the trade; they'd last longer than any boot could.

Eiki went around a corner for a bit of privacy. Komachi stood guard in front of her, silhouetted against the light of the torches the Elysion armies had lit a few hundred meters back.

?... Eiki, are you sure you'll be all right??

?What are you talking about, Onozuka-kun?? Eiki tugged off her pants and undid the buttons of her jacket. Ah, it had taken so long to get her into this uniform, too.

?I've seen you in action before, and don't get me wrong. I admire your passion. I admire how you're so determined to do the right thing, to promote 'JUSTICE' and all.?

That sentence didn't sound like it could end too well. Eiki pulled off her white shirt. Then she put on the long white robe she wore beneath all her shinigami apparel.

?I even love how much you insist on being receptive to the problems of humanity. You don't want to get desensitized in any way, shape, or form.?

Huh, looked like Komachi was more perceptive than she gave her credit for. Eiki pulled on her blue outer robe and fastened it to her with a broad brown belt, then fastened that down with a black belt.

?But I've seen its down side, Eiki. You're so focused on doing the right thing that you're lost on how to really be a leader.?

?... are you saying I don't know how to lead, Onozuka-kun??

Now this was a new objection. Eiki leaned against the cave wall as she pulled on her long socks.

?Yes. Because you've so convinced yourself that there's always a righteous way out that you're unprepared to choose between two bad choices.?

?... wait, Onozuka-kun.? Eiki chuckled as she tied her hair up so it wouldn't be in the way. ?Explain, please. You're not making any sense.?

?You break a little every time you're put into a position where all the choices are wrong ones. You're completely unprepared to make the shitty call.?

Eiki scowled. ?I take more than a little bit of an exception to that, Onozuka-kun.?

?It's just that you're the furthest thing from a pragmatist, Eiki. You think that there's good and bad and that there's no in between.?

?There IS no in between.?

?Yes, there IS,? Komachi shot back. ?You've never been put into a situation where you had a lot riding on you making a decision, and all of your options are unethical ones. You've always been able to get out of a situation by choosing the right thing, and the worst part is that you've succeeded every time. What happens if you're put into a dilemma where any action you take will be a sin??

?That is impossible.?

?How, oh great captain, is that impossible??

?Because I would be able to SEE the way out, Komachi!? Eiki came up behind her subordinate, clamped her hand onto Komachi's shoulder like a vice, and hissed into her ear.

?Remember these eyes?!? She pointed at her face. ?These eyes can see morality in black and white, and I can't help it! There's always a right way!? She released Komachi, pushing her forward a few steps. ?There is always a path of righteousness. There's no such thing as a situation where all the choices are wrong ones.?

Komachi sighed and turned to Eiki. ?And that's why I'm worried about you.?

?What?? Eiki scowled. The idea of someone worried about her for wanting to do the right thing was simply ridiculous. ?Why??

?Because when you're faced with a situation where the only choices available to you are all unethical, and justice is not possible, your heart is going to brea--?

Eiki twitched and without a second thought, she slapped Komachi across the face before she could finish the sentence.

?That,? she acknowledged, ?was justified only because you are my subordinate. Remember this, Onozuka-kun. You are my friend. And I have allowed you to speak freely to me about all sorts of things. Don't abuse that privilege.?

Komachi hadn't been hurt very much at all, but her eyes were still glistening, reflecting the faint light of the thousand torches outside. She bowed slightly to Eiki and stepped aside as her superior marched past, carrying her clothes on her right arm.

Eiki could appreciate her concern, really, but the idea of a situation where all the choices were bad ones-- how absurd. Her eyes would always be able to show her the right way out.

... wouldn't they?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
They would not.

Breathe. B-b-breathe. In and out. Breaaaaaaaathe. You remember how to do that, don't you? ... don't you?

It was dark. All around. Never had it been dark like this. There had always been a glimmer of light--

No! Don't start hyperventilating on me. This is shock, Eiki. Shock. A natural response of the body when confronted with a painful stimulant. This is perfectly normal. Perfec--

?YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!?

Her head felt like it was splitting from the force of her inward, repressed scream. She closed her eyes, ground her face into the dirt, clenched her jaw until it hurt.

She could cut out her eyes, but they'd still see what they were meant to see--

She was panting in a cold sweat. She hugged herself. It was a dark area she was in. She held herself and forced herself up to seiza position on her knees. She looked around, trying to remember to keep it together, breathe, breathe.

It wasn't dark in the normal sense of the word. It wasn't even black, the color most associated with dark. It had no colour, in fact. It was just... wrong. Wrong was the best way to describe it, but even that word fell far short of what it truly was. It was all the depravity of sin taken physical form. Yes. That was it. Even better of a description. Sin.

It was all around her. It wasn't an absence of light. It wasn't normal darkness, nor was it cave darkness. It was physically around her, all she could see, hot, heavy, choking, burning, suffocating, hateful--

Even closing her eyes, she could not help see that which had no form, SIN. She could see it and it was there and it wasn't going away and it was all she had--

?WHO DID THIS?! TELL ME!!?

A sin-sin situation. How? Why?

She looked down at the ground and the muddy sweat on her face dripped down, leaving white streaks on her face. Were they sweat or tears? Who knew? Could she be trusted to know the difference--

Option one was to turn in Koishi Komeiji. She who had ruined the chance of Makai surrendering peacefully. She had committed a grave sin. She had destroyed the mind of Yumeko, Shinki's head maid. Yes, the genocidal, murderous maid. She was still worthy of forgiv--

Was she? Now that was a question also worth considering. But her eyes could not see it. Yumeko was not around to see.

Reason was the reason sin could exist. Without reason, there was no sin. The knowledge of good and evil-- and the ability to create both or either one-- could only come from reason. One could not sin if they did not know the difference between the two. This was why children could not sin. This was why the souls of children that Eiki ferried over to Higan did not go to the courthouse of Hinanai Yamaxanadu. They had no sin, they could not sin. Had they died when they were older, when they knew the difference between right and wrong, then they would be guilty.

Those with the minds of children shared the same fate. This partially applied to people whose perception of sin had been so thoroughly skewed by their upbringing that they truly did not know the difference. It applied completely to those who, by some unfortunate genetic combination, were forever stuck with the minds of children. Traumatic head injuries in life that involved the loss of reason also applied-- or at least according to all the books on celestial law Eiki had read while sailing the Sanzu.

Yumeko... had not had the mind of a child before. Now she didn't have a mind at all. With the destruction of her subconscious, with all its motivations, had come the dissolving of her conscious mind-- or at least the part that was capable of reason. She was now technically sinless, though she was still accountable for the deeds she had committed prior to her run-in with Koishi.

Now Yumeko had been robbed of the chance to redeem herself through good works and repentance of her past crimes. For the crime of destroying her capacity to reason, Koishi was guilty. In fact, it could be argued that if Koishi had simply killed Yumeko, that would have been  more merciful...

Did that merit handing her over?

Of course it did. Thanks to her sinful action, Koishi had all but guaranteed further bloodshed. Hadn't this peaceful underground city had enough blood for today?

But how could that be right? Handing Koishi over to Shinki would also guarantee more loss of life. Satori would then have a reason to have a blood feud with Shinki, also ensuring more death and destruction later on. And moreover-- how could one person be worth many other people's lives? Could she really choose one person over thousands? Could she really sacrifice one person for the sake of thousands?

How was a single person, Koishi Komeiji, worth more than the lives of a thousand people?

How were a thousand people more important than the life of a single person, Koishi Komeiji?

If Eiki handed her over to Shinki, then--

NO ONE COULD DESERVE TO DIE! Not even Yumeko, who had laughed with glee as the bodies of the entire Satori race burned on the upper floors of the Palace of the Earth Spirits.

NO ONE! Not even Shinki, who had been only too glad to let Eiki fall to her death, even after she had been hurt for her opponent's sake.

Not even Koishi, who had killed someone in wrath for vengeful reasons. Had Koishi's actions been justified? Even if they had, could she redeem herself through her death at Shinki's hands--?

Did Koishi Komeiji deserve death?

She had been foolish, prideful. She had always quietly felt superior to the Yama-- they had received their ability to see between moral black and white as part of their job. She had been born with it, ever since she had been a human. Her ability to see right and wrong with perfect clarity was why she had developed such a zeal for justice--

But it had been a lie. All of it. The only reason she had been so enthusiastic about justice was just because it was so easy for her to tell the difference. She had never had to struggle to see the truth. She could simply say ?that is wrong, that is right?-- there had been no emotional involvement, no critical thinking involved.

It was easy to tell the deeds of the dead apart-- she did not know who they were. She was unbiased towards them. She never took into context the circumstances of their crimes.

But she knew Shinki. She knew why she had done the things she had done. Shinki was not a complete monster. She had committed genocide, war, countless deaths-- all for love. Love was the highest of virtues. How could she condemn her for that?

She knew Yumeko too. How could Yumeko help her deep, instinctual desire to kill? Shinki had especially created her with that in mind. Yumeko had been born a killing machine, through no fault of her own. If she killed anyone, it was because that was the purpose to her life. How could she condemn her for that?

And Koishi. Koishi had been the victim of forces beyond her control. In one day, she had lost her father, her home, and the rest of her race. And it had been to a blonde murderer who had literally laughed the entire way. If she wanted earthly justice, how could Eiki deny it to her? Didn't Koishi have every reason to want revenge for the people she loved, for the life that Shinki had so cruelly robbed from her? How could she condemn her for doing just that?

Never before had Eiki seen something like this. As a shinigami who fancied herself to be better than the Yama, she had thought that choosing the right way had been simple. She had even been right-- it really was the right thing to march down here to save lives.

But it had been based on a desire for artificial justice.

She had been relying on her strange eyes to tell her what was right and wrong, not her head. She had done the right thing for all the wrong reasons... if anyone was the villain here, it was her.

If I had known then... what I know now... would I have gone down into the earth to save these people?

In only a few moments, everything that Eiki had ever thought of herself had been brutally exposed for what it truly was. The curtains had been thrown open on her soul, and she had been found lacking. She had always thought of herself as the heroine above right and wrong, the slighted protagonist who had been unjustly denied her chance at authority-- when she had been the delusional villain this whole time, blindly following easily-gained, fake justice.

?It can't be...?

Even now she had been lying to herself. She reached up and touched her face. It wasn't sweat. It really was her tears. She caught one of her muddy tears falling off of her chin and looked at it.

Then she remembered-- a villain deserves no sympathy-- and knowing that she wouldn't get any, she hugged herself and cried.

And people wondered how I would turn Shikieiki, of all people, into a villain. :3

Anyway, this has been a special update on request. I'll concentrate on Sweet Dreams instead, but rest assured that I am VERY far from giving up on this. o>

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
And people wondered how I would turn Shikieiki, of all people, into a villain. :3
*gasp*

Ah~ I've been waiting for this.  Great as always. =D

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Gpop

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
It's depressing really, to see someone who seems to be in such high authority and good intentions be seen as a villian and break down like that.

Dorian White

• The most handsome non-vampire diplomat you ever encountered ~
  • With a Gandalf like evolution.
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
I have to admit that I enjoyed the last part more than I should.
Then she remembered-- a villain deserves no sympathy-- and knowing that she wouldn't get any, she hugged herself and cried.
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for so many year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

Shikieiki the "Fallen"... that made my day.
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
And this is the best chapter, Yeeeeeesssssss.

I'm not one to enjoy other's pain, but seeing this just made me laugh in glee for a bit. Especially seeing as Komachi called it ahead of time. The Eiki learns her lessons the hard way.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
Oh, my God.
I swear to you, I will disavow everything that you ever write again if you tear up Shikieiki's spirit any more.

I like Alice, yes; I like Shanghai more than Alice, yes; I like Komachi...
But damned if Shiki isn't my all-time favorite character, for exactly the reasons why she kicks so much ass in White Rose.

Epic update, f*&$ing epic update - but I weep for Shiki's mind and spirit.

It's the exact reason I can't watch the arc in Higurashi where Satoko's uncle comes back - Satoko is such an energetic, unbeatable spunkster brat who, in one fell swoop, gets everything knocked out from under her and she becomes nothing.

I beg of you, at the very least, give me some warning if you're going to do this to Shiki in White Rose - PM me or something. I'm going to keep reading this, assuming that things will eventually end up as they are canonically and Shiki just goes to being an over-worked Yama, but, God, I plea, beg, and will break down and sob if you shatter Shiki.

I love this story. I love your skills with literature.

I will hate you if you do this.

(Now that I've calmed down, I'll add this afterthought - that doesn't mean change your plans for the story, I don't wanna come across as that arrogant fanboy who insists that because I like it the most it should go how I want it.

I'll still hate you if you wreck Shiki though, but it's your story, you write it.)

(Also Edit Again - Afterthought Harder: yay thanks for updating cuz I asked <3)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:28:28 AM by Esifex »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2010, 03:14:34 AM »
oh god I haven't read it yet but oh god is this supposed to be a Touhou rendition of the Godfather
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
I have to admit that I enjoyed the last part more than I should. <=== This.

This latest update has thoroughly reminded me that I'm a sucker for deep character development/character philosophy/breaking of hautiness.

EDIT: Seriously considering having my mother read this part. I think it'll knock some much needed sense into her.

lgb: No. No. Just... ...NO.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:55:53 AM by Odda C. »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:10 AM »
I really admire the depth and attention to detail you give your characters. I know you have this on hold now, but I look forward to you picking it up again.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2010, 02:58:34 AM »
This... This story is amazing. That's... All I can say. Please keep writing this, I'm sure that every one of us is looking forward to more updates~<3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
...It's done.

In the space of a few hours, I read this entire damn thing.

Ruro, I love you so damn much. You have managed to produce about five different plots taking place at five different times at three different places and I'm interested in all of them.

The length of this scared me off before, but now that the archiving project called on me to read it in full I'm glad I took the time. This story is awesome and you should feel awesome.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2010, 02:06:26 AM »
Lucky Rou, I wanted to do the summary for this'n.
This, and RiG. Aaah, well - you get what you're given and take what ya got.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:06 AM »
Aaaah I am so sleepy aaaaaaah I hate social anthropology how boring can this get

Also my birthday is in a week go me >:3

?I don't get it! Where are the water wagons?!? Koishi demanded as she looked down at the streets of the city.

?Water wagons?? Utsuho asked, wings beating overtime to keep them up in the air as she flew over roofs and streets of people who could not be less panicked.

Koishi struggled to explain, but she was spared the effort. ?There, like that one.? She pointed down at a youkai pulling a wagon with a large water tank with a pump and leather hoses for putting out fires. But the wagon was making no movement to go to the kasha ghetto; in fact, one of the various ?low-class? minor youkai, who worked as law enforcers in the city proper, seemed to be--

?Arresting him?!? Koishi scowled. ?What the heck is going on?!?

?Satori said there was discrimination against the kasha... I had no idea it was this organized,? Utsuho said quietly.

?Eh?? Koishi asked.

?I was awake while Satori was reading,? Utsuho went on. ?All the stuff that's been done to the kasha while they're just trying to live their lives... it must be terrible.?

?None of the water wagons are moving,? Koishi observed. ?Not a one of them. And why are the sirens only going off NOW?? She glanced up at the burning swath of buildings they were getting closer and closer to every second. ?This fire didn't start a few minutes ago. It's like they WANT the ghetto to burn.?

?Hmm.? Utsuho frowned. ?Wait a moment. Koishi, you mentioned something earlier...?

?What??

?Something you heard in that kasha girl's head. Why she was going to bring you in for questioning.?

?She thought we were those saboteurs that were supposed to come today,? Koishi repeated automatically, then gasped and covered her mouth. ?... and it looks like they DID come today.?

?We're getting closer,? Utsuho warned. ?Oh, is that a water wagon??

?One of them, at least.? Koishi looked down at the one water wagon that was running to the ghetto. She turned her Third Eye on the youkai, who she couldn't identify from this height. ?Tseu... tseitn... der lai... laibt. What the hell??

?Must be a kasha,? Utsuho identified.

?She also stole the water wagon,? Koishi repeated from what she heard of the kasha's mind as they quickly outraced her on the way to the ghetto. ?Well, good job.?

?Koishi, cover your mouth,? the yatagarasu said. ?Things could get bad.?

Koishi pulled up the collar of her cotton yukata up and covered her nose with it. ?What are we going to do, Utsuho?? she asked in a muffled voice.

?You tell me,? Utsuho said, as the fires moved and a blast of hot air hit them right in the face. ?Gah! Back up a bit!?

Koishi watched as the kasha they had been listening to earlier caught up. She was still able to track her through the smoke and the burning air by listening to her thoughts, but the strain of listening to someone physically so far away was stretching the connection too thin. ?Utsuho, let's go down. Maybe we can help down there.?

?Yes,? Utsuho replied as she began to ride the heat currents down to the ground. ?I'm getting exhausted, though...?

As they got closer to the ground, they passed through a thick haze of burning embers and dark black smoke. Once they made it through, they heard what they had heard muffled from up above the entire time; the screams of the kasha living in the ghetto.

Koishi swallowed hard. It was painful to hear, the thoughts and screams of hundreds, maybe thousands of kasha, some running back and forth carrying water in their wheelbarrows, some crying for their relatives inside the burning ramshackle buildings, and worst of all were the wails of those who were trapped inside with burning wood falling all around them--

?Koishi?? Utsuho asked as she felt Koishi's hands dig into her back. ?Are you shaking??

The intense emotion in the area was also affecting her; all the thoughts that reached her were tainted with the taste of fear. It was withering, like it threatened to burn through her soul if she listened to it for too long.

?I've... never wanted to close my Third Eye this much in my life,? Koishi said, a single tear dropping from her eye as she heard the final thoughts of a hundred kasha all at once.

But then another voice shot through the darkness.

?You are not allowed to use that wagon, you kasha scum!?

?A farsteekenish af der!?

?Utsuho, go left,? Koishi asked as Utsuho got closer and closer to the ground. Thanks to the panic of the fires, no one had seen them descend at all, but Koishi was about to change that.

There. Through a cloud of smoke, it was the kasha girl from earlier; she was the same one who had hijacked the water wagon as well. But her way down the alley had been blocked by another youkai, one of the mole youkai that made up the policing force of Chireiden.

?Return that wagon at once!? He made a move for the wagon, but the kasha girl was too fast. With a cry of something that sounded like ?kish mikh in tukhes!? she jabbed the palm of her right hand upwards and broke the mole youkai's overly large nose.

?Gah!? The youkai staggered back, but he was strong. He pulled out his jitte, a metal beating stick of sorts that the police used. ?I'll show you, you kasha trash!?

The kasha girl scowled and ducked, but she couldn't crouch low enough to avoid it entirely. The jitte clipped her face, cutting a gash right above her eyebrow. She hissed and leapt behind him in a heartbeat, jumping up to surprise him, but the policeman must have been well-trained, and so stood ready to thrust the jitte forwards and straight into the girl's stomach--

?FERMARE, POLIZIA! FERMARE!?

The training he had received betrayed him. Instantly withdrawing the jitte before he could open a hole in her stomach, he turned around to see her.

?A Third Eye!? The policeman immediately stood at attention. Koishi allowed herself a faint smile; satori aged so slowly that she could be any age. There's no way he could tell how old she was. And moreover, she had left the Palazzo wearing her white yukata, a fact that was not lost on the policeman, who had apparently learned to recognize the colors of the various noble families of the satori. ?Lady Komeiji! I was disciplining this young thief--?

?Speaking of, you may go,? Koishi ordered the kasha girl, who looked slightly taken aback, then annoyed.

?What makes you think you have the right to order me around, yo--?

?Go now, and stop the fires!? Koishi snapped. The kasha girl stopped mid-sentence, looked at the flames rising in front of her, then nodded and dashed off, pulling the water cart with her.

?Lady Komeiji, I was--?

?You!? Koishi whirled on the hapless police officer as Utsuho crouched near her feet, catching her breath. She shot off a string of harsh-sounding fast words in the language of the satori-- most of them were neutral words and just sounded insulting, but to someone who didn't know the language, it sounded like an incredibly harsh rebuke.

?You got it?!? she finished as Utsuho stood up and leaned on her shoulders. ?Now run back there and fetch some more water-carts, or I can and WILL hunt you down and have you stripped of your rank!?

?Yes, ma'am!? He saluted and dashed off, his dignity shattered.

?Okuu, are you all right?? Koishi asked, her authoritative tone gone.

Utsuho breathed in deeply, coughing on the ash in the air. ?I'll feel better later once we stop this fire!?

?Yes, let's go help that girl.? The satori maiden nodded and dashed off, Utsuho running behind her.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2010, 07:18:26 AM »
Utsuho spared a moment to watch the shinigami of Higan collapsed on the ground behind Shinki. She did feel sorry for her-- someone as strong as she was could only be broken by something really big. But she didn't know what it was, and she didn't have any time to figure it out, because Shinki was coming right at her.

Shinki was very strong. Yumeko was no lightweight; Utsuho still remembered how big she had been when she had fought her earlier. Her arms and legs were more muscular and tough than they let on, and she was very tall and well-built to begin with. Her assessment might have been a bit off, though-- Yumeko was also very imposing, so she was very big in Utsuho's mind.

But this Shinki was something else. She was carrying Yumeko in her arms as if she weighed nothing. She was not as tall as her servant had been, but what she lacked in stature she made up for in overwhelming presence. Her eyes were smoldering as she gazed at Utsuho; as much as it hurt, she could not turn herself away from their intensity.

As nervous as she was, Utsuho still recognized and approved of the sheer power within these women. Maybe she wasn't originally a humanoid youkai, but she still wanted to be able to command respect like that someday. Strong, tall, beautiful-- it was her ideal.

But now she had to deal with someone who was her ideal and was also opposed to her. And, uh, the person she had just told--

?You're the one who did this to Yumeko?? she asked.

If Satori were by her side, she would have muttered ?sotto?. Shinki had asked in a low tone, contradicting her burning eyes and aggressive body language. But there was a quiet intensity to her words that told Utsuho ?if you run, I will hunt you down and I will kill you.? She willed herself not to shiver. Before her was a god in the flesh. And she was just a simple yatagarasu...

Utsuho nodded, moistening her dry lips with her tongue. ?Yes, I did it.?

Shinki did not immediately reply, but looked at Utsuho. Her eyes... decreased in intensity, but only slightly. There was still grief-stricken rage there, but now there was a certain curiosity to them.

Try as she might, Utsuho could not stop admiring the two women before her. Even now, injured Yumeko still had an air of raw physical strength around her, as if she would wake up at any moment and lunge at Utsuho. And Shinki had the most overwhelming presence she had ever seen. The only person able to compare was Komeiji Miyani, and her aura of power had come only from her sheer conviction. But even that comparison was doing Shinki a great disservice.

?I wonder, who could have inspired you so much that you would lie to a goddess' face??

Utsuho froze.

?Ah. I was right.? Shinki smiled, but there was hardly a glimmer of any real mirth in it. ?Who are you hiding, hellcrow? Who did you lie for??

?Uh...? She hadn't expected this response. She hadn't prepared any sort of answer. So, what were her options? Lie? No, Shinki would just see right through it again, and the next time, she would probably not be so forgiving. The truth? About Koishi, the one who was really responsible for what happened to Yumeko? The one that Shinki would be liable to tear apart with her bare hands?

Koishi was her master and her best friend. Not a chance. She could not lie and she would not tell the truth, so what could she do...?

?I would tell you,? Utsuho replied slowly, ?but you would rip her apart limb from limb if you knew who it really was.?

?Oh?? Shinki raised an eyebrow.

?I care for her deeply. I know what she did was wrong, but even then, I can't let you touch her.?

?Hey, Okuu, did you hear that? We're going to take you home to live with us.?

A faint smile spread on Utsuho's face.

?... I just wanted to bring her into a family.?

?She's my family, not by blood, but in heart. I can't let you take her.?

Shinki watched her, an undecipherable expression on her face.

Utsuho swallowed, remembered the feel of Koishi's hand in hers, then took a step forward, into the fire. ?So I ask you to take me instead, Shinki-sama.?

?What?? Satori stammered. Utsuho had forgotten she was even there.

Shinki actually had a look of surprise on her face. She blinked a few times. ?Are you so willing to take this crime on your shoulders?? she asked, raising up Yumeko in her arms. ?Without being asked, you're willing to take this on??

?Yes.? Utsuho stood up straight, trying not to notice the look of increasing despair on Satori's face. ?Whatever punishment you were planning against the one who really did it, I will bear it in her place, and in exchange, you will sign the final treaty and leave Chireiden as soon as possible.?

Shinki seemed to consider it a moment.

?What is your name, girl??

?Reiuzi Utsuho, ma'am. I am a yatagarasu youkai.? Utsuho's voice did not betray how scared she was, but Orin seemed to notice anyway.

?Okuu, are you crazy?? Orin snapped, going to Utsuho's side and yanking on her sleeve. ?Do you have any idea what that devil woman will make you do?? She hissed at Shinki. ?She might torture you, or kill you, or worse!?

?Someone has to receive the punishment, and I'd rather have it be me.? Utsuho raised her arm out of Orin's grip. She smiled down at her. ?You'd do the same for her, wouldn't you?? she asked, nodding to Satori.

Orin looked over at Satori, then back at Utsuho, and nodded slowly. ?In that case, I understand.?

?You act as if I'm going to kill her,? Shinki scoffed. ?I'm only interested in getting payback for the excellent maid you took from me.?

?She was not just an excellent maid.? Unexpectedly, Yuugi came forth from behind Satori and nodded to Utsuho. ?A better fighter I've never seen.? She turned to Shinki. ?Remember me??

?One of the devas of the mountain.? Shinki nodded-- Utsuho, who tended to notice purely physical things, could not help but notice the tightening of Shinki's jaw, the tenseness in her posture. ?Of course.?

Yuugi smiled at her. It wasn't a pleasant smile. ?If you hurt this girl, I promise I will march up to Makai and when I'm done there, not one stone will be stacked atop the other.?

Shinki was... nervous? It seemed that way to Utsuho. Shinki nodded, trying not to show any expression. ?Again, I'm only interested in payback. It wouldn't do any good to hurt her, would it??

Yuugi grinned again. ?Of course not. But just in case, I'll bring Suika along.? She turned her back on Shinki and looked at her over her shoulder. ?That should be a fun match.?

Shinki smiled back, but it looked forced, tense. ?Fun. Yes.?

?Is there any deception in her words?? Orin asked Satori.

Satori shook her head no. ?As far as I can tell, Shinki is telling the truth. She really does intend to treat Okuu decently.?

?The road to hell is paved with good intentions.?

?It is not. It is a wooden bridge,? Parsee muttered behind Satori.

Despite the seriousness of the entire situation, there was a part of Satori's heart that hadn't been destroyed by the declaration of Koishi's hatred for her, that hadn't been destroyed by Utsuho's taking Koishi's place. It was the part that was happy about becoming Queen of Chireiden so she could save her people. It was that part that made Satori giggle right now.

It bordered on the ridiculous. Even in the midst of something like this, could she still laugh at a stupid joke?

She was sure she could laugh. Was she allowed to laugh anymore? After what she had said and done?

?I HATE YOU!?

Satori looked down. After causing that much misery in her sister, the person she loved most, what right did she have to joy in her own life? None. So she took a breath and suppressed her laughter.

Utsuho watched all this play out on Satori's face, but she did not understand what was going on. Then her attention was drawn by something behind Satori. She looked beyond her and saw Komachi and Sumire drag themselves out of the collapsed tent and rush to Eiki's side. Komachi picked up the shinigami and dusted her off while the much shorter Sumire approached Shinki.

?You have not signed the final agreement,? she snapped at the goddess as she unrolled the still-intact scroll.

Shinki glanced down at her. ?I will not sign it until I can negotiate its terms.?

?What are your terms, then?? Sumire asked.

?I will sign that agreement, the one that says I claim responsibility for this war and for all the casualties.?

Sumire's angry expression did not change. Shinki grinned and delivered her ultimatum.

?But only if Reiuzi Utsuho returns with me to Makai as my prisoner.?

Remember that prediction from the intermission that Shinki would return to Makai with a prisoner?

And you all thought it was Koishi. Hee.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: The White Rose of Chireiden
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »

*headdesk*

Also, I'm really worried that Utsuho's gonna pull a Face Heel Turn now...*gulp*

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »
I really like Utsuho here. So glad to see an exposition beyond the usual 'crazycrazycrazy!' slot she's normally stuffed into.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
Yeah, I remember that.

As soon as Okuuface said that, though~

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »

I giggled. |3

IcedFairy

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »
Remember that prediction from the intermission that Shinki would return to Makai with a prisoner?

And you all thought it was Koishi. Hee.
Yep.  Ya got me.

Also thank you Parsee for ruining the mood.  I needed some terribly time inapropriate comedy.  Or maybe that was good comedic timing....  How does that work out.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
UTSUHO! ;-;

I must admit though, this story never ceases to surprise me.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
Also thank you Parsee for ruining the mood.  I needed some terribly time inapropriate comedy.  Or maybe that was good comedic timing....  How does that work out.

When I was first writing that scene, I realized "... but they're in hell, so they would know about the road down there, wouldn't they?" I have a terrible problem with taking things literally; half of Orin's Yiddish insults confuse me, since they're along the lines of "Lie in the earth!" or "Go to hell!" But this is Chireiden, so they're already within the earth. How does that insult even make sense? I confuse myself sometimes. :/

Weekly update. I think it's longer than normal.

To their right was the outside row of kasha houses, little more than shacks. The quality of the houses degraded as they moved further into ghetto territory, becoming little more than stacks of rubbish ready to light on fire at the first spark. Koishi tried to focus on each one at a time, but specks of ash stung her eyes and she rubbed them while she pulled up the collar of her yukata so she could breathe without inhaling too much smoke every breath.

?Not even the normal people are helping,? Utsuho observed as she looked off to the left, to the border of the ghetto and the city that she had crossed only earlier today. ?They're standing with buckets of water in case the fire reaches their homes, but they're not helping out at all!?

Koishi coughed, feeling waves of heat coming off of the burning houses to their right. ?I can't order them ALL around. I only managed it with that fool policeman because I caught him by surprise. We're on our own, Utsuho.?

?Ah! It's you!?

?Oh,? Koishi stammered, face to face with the kasha girl they had kept running into, holding one of the hoses and blasting water into the facade of a building. ?Yes, it's us.?

?You're a satori,? the kasha said, eying Koishi's exposed Third Eye. ?Why the heck are you down here??

?We wanted to help,? Utsuho replied.

?No one was coming to help, so I wanted to try.? Koishi realized her reasoning didn't make much sense-- it wasn't meant to, anyway. She had been rather impulsive about it... now all she could hope for was that she didn't die here.

The kasha grinned. ?Works for me! Here, grab this hose while I go in.?

?Isn't that dangerous?!? Koishi asked as the kasha girl dashed off. ?You could be trapped inside! The whole place is going down!?

?My family is in there!? The kasha replied and raced into the burning building.

Utsuho and Koishi stood there for a moment, holding the limp hose in their hands. Koishi focused her attention on the house for a few seconds, reaching out with her Third Eye, and heard snatches of thoughts... yes, there were people in there. They were mostly scared, but they were still alive. The one on the second floor was alone and was slightly more nervous, but Koishi was confident that the kasha girl would get them all out safely.

?Well, don't just stand there!? Another kasha ran over to the water wagon, began to pump the water, and blasted the burning facade of the building. ?Get to pumping!?

?Ah, yes!? Koishi signaled Utsuho, and Utsuho pumped the water from the tank and out through the hose Koishi aimed at the flames that were licking the shack.

?This is the front lines of the fire!? Utsuho yelled at Koishi. ?If we can stop the fire here, then the rest of the ghetto can be saved!?

Sure enough, every kasha in the ghetto seemed to be flocking to this one row of houses, the most recent to be consumed by fire. There was just one problem.

?We're running out of water, Koishi!?

?WHAT?!? Koishi looked at the water tank; sure enough, they had drained the dozens of gallons of water already, and they had no more water to spare. Kasha were running over buildings and splashing the burning homes with water in their wheelbarrows, but it wasn't enough. They needed another water tank, but there was no way to get one!

Utsuho picked up the water tank, groaning and clenching her teeth. ?I'll drop this over the house,? she said in a strained voice. ?You go find another wagon!?

?Yes!? Koishi was about to leave, but before she could move very far, already many kasha were bounding out ahead of her, also hunting down a water wagon. Utsuho grit her teeth and used all her strength to pick up the water tank upside-down, then flew up above the building and punched a hole in the bottom of the tank, spilling out what was left of the water onto the roof.

They had been making some progress saving the house, but they were all out of water...

?HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!? With a thunderous crash of lumber, a wheelbarrow burst through the burning facade of the building, and before Koishi could blink, the kasha girl had thrown off the blanket to reveal several younger kasha children.

?My brothers and sisters!? the kasha girl said, patting down some burning areas of her clothing. ?They're all safe!?

Koishi breathed a sigh of relief. ?Good!?

But something bugged her, even as she was relieved. She had counted five consciences in the burning building, not counting this girl's, but there were only four people here...

The kasha girl was coughing, hacking. She looked surprised for a moment, then reached out and took hold of the water wagon, holding herself up.

?Smoke... inhalation,? she said between coughs, then she coughed up some more ash. ?Oh well. I'll live.?

?Is that everyone in your house?? Koishi asked.

?Yeah,? the girl replied, clearing her throat. ?My father was selling in the market, and my mother was off visiting my aunt's house over there.? She waved at the as-yet unharmed portion of the ghetto and thumped her chest while clearing her throat again. ?She wasn't going to come back until later, so she should be fine.?

?So who's the person on the second floor??

?Eh?? The kasha girl blinked her reddened eyes. ?There's no one...? She sniffed the air and as Koishi watched, her face turned several shades of white. ?No, there's no one... the smoke makes it hard to smell anything else, you must be mistaken...? She sniffed the air again and she stiffened up. ?It can't be, oh no...?

?I can hear her,? Koishi protested. ?There's someone in there! Maybe Utsuho can--?

She took hold of her wheelbarrow, coughed, and turned to Koishi. ?I have to go save my mother!?

?You can't! You've inhaled too much smoke already!? she yelled as the girl dashed off. There was no way she could last much longer inside the building-- she would drop dead of smoke inhalation before she ever reached her mother, and that was only if she didn't burn to death with the flames surrounding her--

Koishi grit her teeth, focused her Third Eye on the kasha girl's fading back, and chased after her. Behind her, Utsuho's voice was yelling something, and someone had managed to bring another water wagon, but that didn't matter. She had to save that crazy kasha before she killed herself.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
She ran up to the door and threw it open-- and then she opened her eyes wide and dropped to the ground as the flames responded to the increase in oxygen by bursting out the door. She wanted to scold herself for forgetting the lessons of fire her tutors had taught her, but there was no time for that, she had to find the kasha girl.

Slowing down her emotions, she reached out with her Third Eye. There was an awareness on the second floor, yes, but where was the one she was looking for...? Ah, there! Down the hallway, at the bottom of the stairs. It wasn't moving, but it wasn't dead yet.

?It'll be fine,? Koishi muttered as she heard the kasha girl's fear-tainted thoughts in her own mind. ?I'll get you out of here...?

She began to crawl forwards on her stomach, staying low. Ash stung her eyes and smoke filled her lungs. She had to cough after a few moments, and spat out gray onto the floor. She shook her head to clear her mind, focused her attention on the kasha girl again, then placed one hand on the dirt floor right before a portion of the flaming ceiling fell in front of her.

She scrambled backwards for safety, then looked up. The entire ceiling, and by extension the bottom of the second floor was on fire. She cursed herself for forgetting that just because she could read minds, she would be safe from the unthinking fire.

But she didn't have much longer to be able to get out of there safely. Wiping dirt from her face, she crawled around the burning heap of wood and continued moving through the smoke towards the kasha girl.

When she was about a meter away from her, the smoke cleared, and Koishi blinked as fast as she could to erase the stinging sensation. There she was, collapsed at the foot of the stairs, her wheelbarrow shielding her from the worst of the flames. The satori girl scrambled over to her, shaking her awake. ?Hey! Wake up! Wake up, please! Kasha-san, get up!?

?My name,? she said through a coughing fit, ?is Rin.?

?Rin!? Koishi said it with relief. ?Come on, get up! We're going to get you out of here!? She pulled Rin's arm over her shoulder and helped her up.

Rin looked dazed and her dress had been burnt all the way up to her waist, but her eyes soon focused. ?My mother,? she said in a smoke-choked voice. ?I have to save her...?

?There's no time! The house is going to collapse any moment!?

And just then, a large portion of the second floor fell onto the pathway Koishi had taken to get to Rin. Koishi looked back on it and swallowed hard.

?We have to get out of here!? She continued, pulling Rin down towards the ground floor, wondering how she would get them out now.

?Up,? Rin coughed out. ?Upstairs. My mother...?

Okay, what had she seen when she entered the house? The fire was mostly on the ground floor, but the second floor was being bathed in flames from the house to the back. The house to the back was technically right in front of them, right beyond this wall, which meant that going upstairs, running through the choking smoke, and leaping to safety was actually a better bet than running through the white-hot embers of the ground floor, even if the collapsing floor beneath them would be a huge risk. And there was no way out through the way she came in. She had to risk everything, then?

Well, Koishi considered, looking at Rin, even if we fail here, at least Rin will get to spend her last few moments with her mother.

?Come on, then,? Koishi commanded, turning around and pulling Rin's arm up with her as she put a hesitant sandal on the first stair. It occurred to her to be better dressed for an emergency next time, but that was for later. ?We're going upstairs, Rin.?

?Yes...? Rin smiled even as waves of heat began to come through the wall right next to them. ?Let's save my mother.?

With Koishi's help, Rin climbed up the stairs, dragging her wheelbarrow along behind her. Koishi noted that the wheelbarrow was fireproof and huge-- enough to save a person from flames all around, probably, but not on a floor that would collapse.

She looked over and saw that at some point, Rin had had a flaming piece of wood stuck on her left leg; there was an imprint of wood burned into her skin there. She was having trouble walking up the stairs. Koishi grunted and heaved Rin up; the stairs had clearly never been in the best condition, and they were probably unstable at the best of times, but thank goodness, they were holdin--

?AHH!? Rin managed to step on a particularly weak portion of stair and had fallen through to the room below, which was not so much a room anymore as it was a furnace. She began to fall, but the front wheel of her wheelbarrow managed to lodge itself into the wall at such an angle that it wasn't going to give unless the floor did-- and that was a definite possibility at this point.

Koishi took it all in and leaned down and over to grab Rin's hand, which had slid out of her own when she fell. ?Hold on!?

Rin's dress managed to catch fire down below. At this point, the fire was spreading from sheer temperature, not contact with embers. She hissed and swung her right arm up to catch Koishi's. Koishi grit her teeth and walked up the remaining stairs, pulling Rin up as she did so.

The front of Rin's dress was filled with splinters, and the kasha girl gasped in pain several times as splinters entered her skin, but the shock of pain helped clear the smoky haze in her head, and she managed to pull herself up and onto the stairs.

Koishi breathed hard, then coughed and hacked up some smoke. The air in the house was thin and hot; normally physical exertion wouldn't hurt her this much, but in these conditions, her strength felt like it was just draining away.

But there was no time to lose. Already the temperature of the stairs was going up and the waves of heat coming off of the wall were increasing in frequency. ?Come on,? she said, coughing into her collar and extending her hand to Rin's. Rin took it and the two climbed up onto the second floor.

The second floor had largely given way; large sections of the floor were missing or were already burning. The smoke of the first floor had found its way up here, and Koishi found that she could barely see a thing.

?I can't smell her!? Rin cried out. ?The smoke is too strong up here!?

Koishi recalled her lessons. Closing her eyes again, she reached out with her Third Eye for any signs of li--

?There.? Koishi pointed to the far edge of the room. There was a small window at the far wall, and there was a body lying right beneath it. ?Walk carefully. The floor could give way at any moment.?

Koishi and Rin made their way across the first portion of the hallway, holding one another's hand tightly as the flames licked them off to the side. There were a few ominous creaks-- Koishi trod carefully, making sure not to step on any weak portions of floor. The ash stung her eyes and smoke filled her lungs; a violent cough racked her body--

?AAAAHH!? She had taken a misstep while she had coughed, and the rickety wooden floor gave way as she fell down to the room belo--

?Tch--? But she had held on to Rin's hand. Sweat broke out on the kasha's forehead as she stood and began to pull her up.

Koishi's right sandal fell off and the flames swallowed it up. She gulped and looked up at Rin, but the kasha was stronger than she was, and pulled her up more quickly.

?Now,? she coughed, ?we're even.?

Koishi nodded, ash streaking her face black. ?Your mother,? she coughed, ?should be over there.? She pointed, and Rin helped her back onto her feet.

Treading cautiously, they managed to make it across the floor, avoiding the wide gaping holes to the ground floor. Flames burst up from beneath, but they managed to walk around them, until finally, they were right in front of the small window.

Rin dropped to her knees and shook the body. ?Mameh!? she cried out. ?Mameh! Wake up!?

Koishi looked around the room, trying to distract herself. The consciousness she had felt earlier was weak; now it was even weaker, flickering. If Rin's mother wasn't dead already, she would be very soo--

?S... s'iz hays, hah??

?MAMEH!? Rin pulled her mother up and hugged her as tightly as she could, tears streaming down her face despite the heat.

Koishi watched the two of them and smiled, in the midst of the burning house, feeling no envy for the fact that Rin's mother was still alive. She wondered what it would be like to be hugged by her mother... it had been so long.

?Tatesheh?? Rin asked, and Rin's mother gave a slight nod to the corner of the room. Lying on the floor there was a black, charred mass. Rin bit her lip and looked away; her reaction was enough so that Koishi could deduce that it was, or had been, her father.

So... now she's lost her father... and now her mother is all she's got.

To her credit, Rin kept a stiff upper lip. She said something to her mother in the unintelligible Kasha tongue, and her mother reached up and wrapped her arms around her daughter's neck. Though younger, Rin was taller and stronger than her mother, and she set her mother down in her wheelbarrow with ease.

?So,? she said, turning to Koishi, ?How do we get out??

Koishi kept her face as expressionless as she could, then shook her head slowly.

?I... see.?

There was some hesitation in her mind, but Rin wrapped her arms around Koishi and hugged her as tight as she could.

?Thank you, thank you, thank you,? was all Rin could say. But Koishi wasn't limited to hearing Rin's words. She heard what she said, but she could also see the honest truth within them, the overwhelming gratitude. Rin would never be able to convey through words what she really felt, but Koishi could understand what she really wanted to say regardless.

Without a word, she hugged Rin back.

Rin went to stay by her mother as the fire behind them got hotter and hotter. Koishi considered her options. The fires from the rest of the burning ghetto had reached them here. Immediately outside, the kasha and Utsuho would be beating the flames back, allowing them to go no further.

They had just been unfortunate enough to be casualties caught in the crossfire.

Koishi's three eyes turned to the mother and daughter, who were talking quietly to one another. Rin was kneeling in front of her wheelbarrow, her arms on her mother's shoulders. She could not hear them-- but the mother's thoughts were only about getting her daughter out of there safely, and the daughter's thoughts were only about saving her mother.

How fortunate, she thought, that they had someone looking out for them so much that they'd be willing to lose their lives for one another.

Koishi watched the flames finally reach their side of the room, spreading across the roof. Sparks and smoke began to pour forth from the roof.

?Oh, Satori,? she said to herself, wondering why she hadn't given her sister a kiss on the cheek before she had left. It was possible for her to die here. She was a child; always she had thought that death was far from her and far from those she loved. Even her mother had died when she was young-- Koishi could not remember her, and so she could not mourn her. But seeing that charred body off to the side, she wondered how she had never realized how close she always was to death. She was a youkai. She was hardy, not immortal. Really, only their durable bodies separated youkai from humans-- and even though they lived underground and away from the sun's harmful rays, Koishi would not live forever.

The flames had now gotten to the room at all sides. The roof was weak and falling apart. The floor was soon to cave in, and the heat and smoke became unbearable. Rin coughed and buried her face in her mother's chest-- the mother did her best to comfort her daughter, forgive her for not being able to save her.

She looked at them wondered what her end would be like. Peaceful and quiet, with someone she loved waiting for her? Or would it be like... that?

?Oh, Satori!? she cried out again as she watched Rin hug her mother. Oh, how she wished she could see her older sister again--

?Utsuho, they're out of the way! Drop it!?

?Wha--? Was she hallucinating? Or was that really her sister's voice?

With another thunderous crash of wood, a large metal tank smashed through the roof and through to the first floor, on the far edge of the room. The smoke billowed up and out of the house, clearing enough that she could see two distinct figures in the smoke: one of average height with wings, grinning, and the other one, with a slight build, smiling at her.

?We came here to save you,? Satori declared. ?Utsuho, get my sister and the kasha out of here.?

?You got it!? Utsuho came to them and picked the two closest ones: Koishi and Rin. But she hadn't seen the person inside the wheelbarrow.

?How-- why did--? Koishi stammered, still in shock.

?I had to come for you,? Satori said. ?I can't just let this stuff happen in Chireiden, you know??

?LET ME GO!? Rin screamed, kicking and pounding on Utsuho's shoulders. ?SAVE MY MOTHER! SHE'S STILL ALIVE!?

?Oh, you're right, she is,? Satori sighed with relief as Utsuho turned to her. ?Carry those two to safety. Come back for me.? She pulled a damp cloth out from behind her back. ?I'll make sure she stays alive, promise.?

?WAIT! NO!? Rin yelled again, attempting to wriggle out of Utsuho's iron grip. Utsuho grit her teeth and took off flying, leaping up and out of the hole they had punched into the roof.

And it was out there that they saw something horrible.

?Oh go-- OH GOD! SATORI!? Koishi screamed as she watched the flaming wreckage of the house adjacent to Rin's toppled over and onto the escape where they had just gotten out from. ?NO!! SATORI!! SATORI!! NO!!?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
?MAMEH! MAAAMEEEEH!!? Rin screeched, bitter tears streaming from her face. She thrashed more violently now, trying to get out of Utsuho's grip. ?LET ME DIE WITH HER! MAMEH!!?

But Utsuho's jawline only hardened as she neared the ground. ?Let me save you first!?

Rin managed to spring out of Utsuho's arms before they reached the ground. Without a second thought, she was about to hurl herself up at the now blazing building once more, but the crowd of kasha that had gathered around stopped her.

?LET ME DIE! MAMEH!? She screamed in such anguish that Koishi felt like her own heart was breaking in two. The ache Rin was feeling in her heart for her dying mother felt like it was filling the void left by her own lack of grief at her mother's death.

But the kasha would not let her go. Koishi could not understand their words, but she could understand the thoughts they were trying to convey. ?Rin, it's fine, it's fine. You tried hard, but it must be her time to go to God! Your mother would not want you to die for her--?

?I DON'T CARE IF IT'S GOD'S WILL!? Rin screamed back, thrashing violently. Her clothes were burnt and torn and her hair had been undone from its long braids so that she looked like a wild woman. ?LET ME GO! LET ME SAVE HER!?

?You can't... save her,? Koishi realized as she watched the house begin to give its last death rattles. ?I'm so sorry, Rin.?

?I... oh god...? Utsuho looked like she was going to be sick. ?Satori's dead...?

Upon hearing those words, Koishi's heart felt like it had turned to ice. ?... Satori... died to save me at the very end??

Tears sprung to her own eyes as she imagined her sister's fate-- dying by burning, suffocating, alone and without her sister-- and she felt like she was going to break and die without her.

The house had now turned into a pure furnace. The second floor was consumed entirely by flame now. Koishi had been right-- the fire had been stopped here, and now this was the last house that remained fully ablaze.

But oh, at what a price had the safety of the ghetto been bought!

The thought of the smile of her triumphant sister upon arriving to save her flashed through her mind. She would never see that smile again. ?Satori... I'm so sorry...? Koishi sobbed.

?Don't... write me off just yet!?

And with that thought shooting through the darkness at Koishi's Third Eye, she had enough forewarning to look up and see the final wall of the second floor room give way to Satori pushing Rin's forgotten cat-cart out of the house, carrying Rin's mother safe and sound.

She had the fortune to land right atop the crowd of kasha. They managed to catch both Satori and the wheelbarrow, along with the older lady in it. Rin's mental wall of despair broke that very instant as she caught her mother and screamed her name. She hugged her, tears of pure joy streaming down her face. Around them, Rin's younger siblings hugged them both.

?Ah, family,? Satori commented, coming up behind Koishi.

?Satori!? Koishi exclaimed, turning to hug her sister. ?Oh, Satori!?

?Koishi...? her sister choked out. ?You're hugging... me... too tight...?

Koishi released her sister and looked up at her with tears still in her eyes. ?I'm so glad you're safe,? she said quietly.

?The next time either of us has to make a heroic sacrifice, you're going to do it,? Satori laughed, ruffling her sister's dirty hair.

?How did you get out here? How did you find me?? Koishi asked.

?I figured you would go where you had the best chance of fighting back the fire. Sorry I couldn't get here faster, though. That water wagon was slower than I wanted it to go.?

?Thank you, Satori,? she said, throwing herself into her older sister's arms. ?I love you.?

Satori looked surprised, but then just smiled and wrapped her own arms around her sister, rubbing her on the beck. ?I love you, too.?

They hugged for a short while longer until Satori tapped her on the back. ?Okay then, Koishi, time to go home and get you washed.?

?Okay.? The sisters separated, but when they looked around, they saw that the kasha had not left while they were distracted. They had stayed to look at them.

?Hm?? Satori asked. ?What do they want, Koishi??

?No idea,? Koishi replied with a shrug.

Rin came forth from the crowd, with her mother holding on to her arm and her younger siblings around her. She coughed and hacked up some ash, but she seemed to be so happy that she barely noticed. ?The kasha named me their representative to tell you two thank you for coming to help us save our homes from the fire.?

?Ah.? Satori and Koishi both gave a slight bow.

?You are welcome,? the younger sister said.

?We are all most grateful,? Rin replied. ?Never before has the Palace of the Earth Spirits sent anyone here to the ghetto to help us.?

?Oh, no one sent us,? Koishi said. ?We came on our own.?

?What? Really??

?Our dad told us about it.? Satori smiled. ?It's our moral duty to help you, even if no one orders us to, and even if the satori order us not to.?

?You two are sisters, yes? And you came by yourselves??

The Komeiji sisters nodded. Rin turned to the crowd of kasha and relayed what she had learned to them. They began to murmur amongst themselves almost immediately, and it took a few moments for Rin to receive a coherent message to pass on to the sisters.

?The kasha would like to know your names, please.?

?I am Satori Komeiji,? Satori replied, ?and this is my sister.?

?Koishi Komeiji.? Koishi gave a slight bow.

?Well then. Satori and Koishi Komeiji, the kasha would like to thank your parents for raising such fine children. You two, who are righteous among the satori, have earned the kashas' undying gratitude for your heroism.?

?Hey, what about me?? Utsuho interrupted, coming up behind Satori and Koishi.

Rin turned to the kasha a moment, conversed, then turned back to Utsuho. ?The kasha extend their gratitude to you as well, satori girl.?

?I'm not a satori,? Utsuho objected. ?I'm Utsuho Reiuzi, a yatagarasu.?

If the kasha didn't understand anything else she said, they understood ?yatagarasu?. They began to murmur it loudly enough that Koishi and Satori could overhear. Utsuho looked confused.

Rin turned to them with a new message to relay. ?They told me to tell you thank you as well, Utsuho Reiuzi. Consider yourself the first yatagarasu ever to have earned the trust of the kasha.?

Utsuho bowed. ?Thank you.?

?And as for you two,? Rin said, turning back to the sisters, ?On a personal note, I am in your debt for saving my family.? She hugged her mother from the side. ?I can't begin to thank you for what you've done. Koishi, you helped me get to my mother, and Satori, you saved her when I could not. For that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.?

Satori and Koishi looked to each other, then to Rin, with smiles on their faces. ?You're welcome.?