Author Topic: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom  (Read 74890 times)

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
Re: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
I don't get why Cirno is being chewed out so much. For one, she's technically a kid doing what kids do. When she runs into you, she just has childish confidence. It has nothing to do with her being bright or not. Speaking of which, how was it decided that Wriggle and Mystia are part of "Team 9"? I could understand Rumia and Daiyousei, since they're in the same game and adjacent to eachother by stage order, but why two characters from an entirely different game? I'm not complaining though. It's an interesting grouping, but it's a special case.

And I suppose compared to everyone else in the mansion, Meiling isn't all that threatening, but she is physically strong and her power to manipulate chi isn't something to chortle at. I don't think Remilia would hire a weak gateguard anyway (knowing how prideful she is), so it's obvious Meiling has great worth in her eyes.
About Cirno: My beef with her is mostly about her in-game quotes in eosd, where she threatens to kill both heroines and doesn't have even one portrait where her expression isn't "angry". Of course, Touhou is the game where the fandom feeds canon sometimes, so that by the time of Hisou Tensoku Cirno is much more nice and sociable at her ending.
About Team 9: I read that they are "the childish characters without importance for the plot" and that's explanation enough for me. I suppose that IC, at very least, Cirno knows Daiyousei (or whatever her name actually is), Mystia knows Wriggle because they're kind of neighbors and probably both sparrow and firefly met Rumia during the times they are looking for some delicious night snack (read: people).

now some random shotgunning:
Eirin - wait, she IS a sadist. Not a leather-clad dominatrix sadist, but she clearly enjoys to inflict pain on Udonge. About Eirin in general, i like to think she has a near Dr. Manhattan level of detachement from humanity with the single exception that she's devoted to Kaguya. Really, If not by Kaguya, Eirin would probably be creating life at another galaxy.

Touhou Grimdark - while I still have to READ fics with this theme, it's not repulsive for me if it makes sense. Of course, you have to separate the grim from the dark: Gensokyo IS a dark place. There are people being eaten there, probably every night. It's not a grim place, however, or at least the stories shouldn't be told about this point of view. In this, I believe Gensokyo should look a lot like, say, Diskworld, where many times the comedy is only in the way the author describes the cruel and unusual situatons the characters find themselves into.

Yuuka - is a classic psychopath. A polite, funny and pretty psychopath, that thankfully for the rest of Gensokyo is usually more into flowers than people (think an unholy cross of The Joker with Poison Ivy). There's not other way to join her portrait in PMiSS with her quotes in PoFV: She enjoys tormenting people and youkai alike, never shows a drop of empathy and Akyu wouldn't be lying about her abysmally low level of human friendliness, would she?

Alice, Marisa and Patchouli - one thing fanon almost never catch is that magicians are the nerds of fantasy: studious, haughty, obsessive and quirky people. They are more intelligent than almost everybody else and are storehouses of knowledge (but mostly useless trivia). Both Alice and Patchouli like to showcase that, while Marisa keeps to herself, just to let out one phrase or another that shows how much she does know.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
I portray Cirno as a dumbass who think she's really good at everything, but she has her moments of not being a retard and is actually rather strong.

Frankly? PMISS's description really clashes with "lolol Eirin is a sadist who macks on Reisen". (Frankly, Inaba is funny, but the "Reisen is the eternal troll victim of everyone" is POISONING MY FANDOM ;-;)

I really don't see USC Yuuka as the Joker. More like Venom or Carnage, much more destructive than the Joker could hope to be.

Also, keep in mind PMISS outright states youkai extermination is in name only and the worst youkai do is kidnap people for show.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

_cf

• my Pixiv
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
Yeah, I wish we'd see more of the cunning, conniving Mystia instead of her just being fodder for Yuyuko.

I also wish we'd see less of the "idiot" Cirno and more of the "childish but still competent" Cirno.
This too. Mystia and Cirno aren't bright people, but they're cunning, resourceful punks (punk here used in the "do you feel lucky, punk?" sense). While Wriggle and Rumia are objectively idiots (lol Wriggle, yes. Have your Remilia. Now what?) At least Cirno and Mystia know how to ambush people at their favored terrain and both have some truly devious attacks (Icicle Fall - Medium is the first trap in the game. Alright, a childish trap, but it's still most devious than anything Meiling has at her arsenal) and Mystia has her out of the game Lamprey Eel con.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
In my opinion, Cage in Lunatic Runagate pretty much goes far against Sadist Eirin.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

_cf

• my Pixiv
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
I portray Cirno as a dumbass who think she's really good at everything, but she has her moments of not being a retard and is actually rather strong.

Frankly? PMISS's description really clashes with "lolol Eirin is a sadist who macks on Reisen". (Frankly, Inaba is funny, but the "Reisen is the eternal troll victim of everyone" is POISONING MY FANDOM ;-;)

I really don't see USC Yuuka as the Joker. More like Venom or Carnage, much more destructive than the Joker could hope to be.

Also, keep in mind PMISS outright states youkai extermination is in name only and the worst youkai do is kidnap people for show.
@Cirno: agreed. She's not a retard, at all. She's actually very smart and resourceful for her species.

@Eiriin: PMiSS and BAiJR show Eirin's public persona. Inabas' and Cage in Lunatic Lunagate show her private persona. No conflict there. Again, she's not a dominatrix-like sadist, but one to whom casually torturing a moon rabbit is a bit like burning ants with a magnifying lens to pass time (in fact, a bit better, because she can then treat the burned ant back to perfect health). Cold? yes. Merciful? not a drop.

@Yuuka: Sorry, I forgot to add "the goddamn Juggernaut" at Yuuka's supervillain mix. The mix was supposed to show her mindset only (funny psycho that likes plants more than people).

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
Yuuka strikes me more of the "I'm usually nice, but f*ck with me and I'll rip your spine out" type. I don't think she'd go around causing trouble for the fun of it (yes, she likes freaking people out, but that's the extent of it apparently). Even PMiSS hints at her politeness while still warning you not to provoke her.

This too. Mystia and Cirno aren't bright people, but they're cunning, resourceful punks (punk here used in the "do you feel lucky, punk?" sense). While Wriggle and Rumia are objectively idiots (lol Wriggle, yes. Have your Remilia. Now what?) At least Cirno and Mystia know how to ambush people at their favored terrain and both have some truly devious attacks (Icicle Fall - Medium is the first trap in the game. Alright, a childish trap, but it's still most devious than anything Meiling has at her arsenal) and Mystia has her out of the game Lamprey Eel con.

I still think you're overblowing the "idiot" accusation a bit much. Yes, they aren't very smart, but they're not that dumb either. Cirno is just a kid, Mystia's overconfident (like most other bosses in the series are) and so is Wriggle. Rumia's simply being a youkai. I don't know why fans continue to hammer in the "stupid" nail.

And why the heck aren't those three stooges, Sunny, Luna and Star branded as idiots?!

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
And why the heck aren't those three stooges, Sunny, Luna and Star branded as idiots?!

Granted, they take part in major foolishness and wind up in predicaments they need help with, (see Strange and Bright Nature Deity) but still, they do have a sound battle tactic. (unfortunately that still doesn't work.) Yeah, they're clowns, but they're not Too Dumb to Live.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »

Because ZUN didn't explicitly call them idiots.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
@Cirno: agreed. She's not a retard, at all. She's actually very smart and resourceful for her species.

@Eiriin: PMiSS and BAiJR show Eirin's public persona. Inabas' and Cage in Lunatic Lunagate show her private persona. No conflict there. Again, she's not a dominatrix-like sadist, but one to whom casually torturing a moon rabbit is a bit like burning ants with a magnifying lens to pass time (in fact, a bit better, because she can then treat the burned ant back to perfect health). Cold? yes. Merciful? not a drop.

@Yuuka: Sorry, I forgot to add "the goddamn Juggernaut" at Yuuka's supervillain mix. The mix was supposed to show her mindset only (funny psycho that likes plants more than people).

I never got a trace of her being a sadist from what I've read of CLIR. She calms Reisen down when she flips out about a moon rabbit landing at the Hakurei Shrine.

Also, I swear people really like Imperfect Metamorphosis's take on Yuuka. I like Tohonifun's take on her, and I also do get that she's nice and all in canon as long as you don't screw with her.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
Because ZUN didn't explicitly call them idiots.

The fans ignore what ZUN says anyway.

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »
The fans ignore what ZUN says anyway.

Her intellect is not very developed. She's just a child. To Reimu and Marisa, she's nothing more than a plain idiot.

From Cirno's profile in EoSD.

She's basically just a fairy, so she's an idiot who loves pranks.

From Cirno's profile in PoFV.

If by any chance Cirno should attack, just start to talk calmly about anything, and when she shows interest it is a good time to ask her a riddle. When you do that, she will start to think of the answer, and that is a good opportunity to escape. No matter how simple the question, she can certainly not answer it.

From Cirno's profile in PMiSS.

If ZUN repeatedly calls her stupid, then maybe you should talk to him about having a problem with it rather than complaining about the fans working with what they're given.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
Yuuka strikes me more of the "I'm usually nice, but f*ck with me and I'll rip your spine out" type. I don't think she'd go around causing trouble for the fun of it (yes, she likes freaking people out, but that's the extent of it apparently). Even PMiSS hints at her politeness while still warning you not to provoke her.
This is pretty much what Yuuka is.

She's polite and will say hi if you greet her. The only time you have to worry about her going apeshit is if you piss her off directly, or fuck with her flowers. Otherwise, she's not going to do anything to you. But, you know how fandom is, twistin' things into "I'm a Ultra violent sadist who abuses anything that moves and has a thing for a firefly that I've never met in canon."

And what's this about fans trying to twist Yamame's nice girl demeanor into that of a black widow that's just as sadistic as the above flower youkai? What the hell, the only spider that doesn't want to suck out your insides and you want to turn it into the exact opposite? Honestly, this is only going to result in people hating Yamame for the wrong reasons...reasons that stem from fandumb branding her with a personality that's trying to overshadow the one that's actually endearing and makes her a loveable character.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
That is exactly how I see Yuuka as well. Elegant-but-dangerous Yuuka is becoming a bit more common in fanart, I think.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
I see her as cheerful and quite friendly.

Moe~

Thankfully, Youkai Moe (for better or for worse) is quickly gaining speed in Yuuka fanworks.

I've never seen Yamame as a sadist, but as a buttmonkey to the extreme, often getting slashed by Psycho Koishi or something else.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
The thing about canon Yuuka is that she takes nothing seriously.  Up to and including the role of youkai.  This is why the Yama lectured her - not because she was messing with people, but because she was completely indiscriminate.  After all, is not Eiki's advice in her vs. quote to harass humans more?  The way I see her, she'd blast someone for messing with her garden, but probably greet them with a smile if she met them a few hours later at a party as if it had never happened.  Assuming that person survives of course.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
And what's this about fans trying to twist Yamame's nice girl demeanor into that of a black widow that's just as sadistic as the above flower youkai? What the hell, the only spider that doesn't want to suck out your insides and you want to turn it into the exact opposite? Honestly, this is only going to result in people hating Yamame for the wrong reasons...reasons that stem from fandumb branding her with a personality that's trying to overshadow the one that's actually endearing and makes her a loveable character.

I suspect it's the appeal of the spider.

However I will also say that a couple of the Yamame dialogues surprised me in how counter they ran to the "buddy" portrayal when I popped SA back in again a few days ago. I forget if I was playing Alice or Patchy at the time, but it sounded like she legitimately wanted to start a brutal fight for no real reason.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
I see Yamame as a youkai protecting her territory, which is why she'd be randomly picking a fight.

On the topic of Yuuka, I see her more as a troll, the kind that does troublesome things just to see what would happen next, rather than a sadist.
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
If ZUN repeatedly calls her stupid, then maybe you should talk to him about having a problem with it rather than complaining about the fans working with what they're given.

I do acknowledge that Cirno isn't the smartest character. Part of that being the fact that she's a child by youkai standards (which, in itself, is excusable). But according to fandom, she's Too Dumb to Live. That's where it gets ridiculous.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
I do acknowledge that Cirno isn't the smartest character. Part of that being the fact that she's a child by youkai standards (which, in itself, is excusable). But according to fandom, she's Too Dumb to Live. That's where it gets ridiculous.

Those almost exact same words are said by Shikieiki in that DANZAI pv. Except it's 'Too stupid to send to hell'.  :V

While I'm at Shikieiki, I really hate how fans portray her as someone who sends people to hell on a whim rather than one who judges people before their time with hopes that they'll understand how bad they are and try to become better people. That and that everyone draws her childlike in appearance or simply flat because of her art rather than the cannonical portrayal of her being as or more imposing than Komachi.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
This question is interesting in that it is "Canon portrayals you wish got used more" and not "Fanon portrayals you wish got used less" (and I'm getting a sense that some people in this thread are blurring the two, though that may just be faulty reading comprehension).

Requotan dis to remind people where they should be going. :V
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
Prankster Chen and Good Bedside Manner Eirin need moar.

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »
Intelligent, calm, sensible Alice. Like you weren't expecting me to say this. :3

Yuuka who's actually not that bad, if she doesn't think you'll be fun to fight (or if she has some other motive).

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
Shikieiki that judges the living with good intentions in mind.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
No mention of Suika? I like Suika being clever and incredibly good at reading people, despite her rough manner. (Her being a huge bitch sometimes I don't like so much.)

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
No mention of Suika? I like Suika being clever and incredibly good at reading people, despite her rough manner. (Her being a huge bitch sometimes I don't like so much.)

Huge bitch? Never seen that protrayal.

I usually see her as a happy-go-lucky drunk that knows more than she lets on.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Huge bitch? Never seen that protrayal.

I usually see her as a happy-go-lucky drunk that knows more than she lets on.

Same. She's always the party girl.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
Yeah, I've never seen Suika being a bitch. Or Yuugi, for that matter.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
Yeah, I've never seen Suika being a bitch. Or Yuugi, for that matter.

I think I smell more overblownness. Yeah, that's not a word. Whatever. Suika tends to be a tad critical (albeit honest) when she analyzes people. Methinks someone took that trait too far.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
In accordance to Fanon, From what I know is that a certain character says something. In this case, Remi with her UUUU UUU~ and Okuu with her Unyu~, etc etc. One person picks this out, and now said character cannot be used in any sort of fanwork without said phrases or being based around a wooden personality. It's not the fact that this is bad, its all dependant on the writer and such.

But anyways, I've always wanted to see more canon Satori. From what I've seen of her, she's only been "mature" instead of tactical, smart, and all other things. The fact that most fanworks make it seem like she just loves to read minds to win an argument doesnt sit right with me.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
Suika tends to be a tad critical (albeit honest) when she analyzes people.

She wasn't criticizing them to be nice. Attacking a person's insecurities (calling Alice a coward, calling Youmu dishonorable) is a cruel thing to do.