Author Topic: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!  (Read 263593 times)

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
Re: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!
« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2011, 12:45:40 AM »
Kasen on the other hand could use an appearance.
On that note, there's a few other characters who didn't get the chance to show in the games but imo totally deserve it, like Tokiko.

Agreed with all'a this. Especially Tokiko.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »
Hatate and Kasen are different simply because they haven't had their turn yet in the XX.0 games yet.

Nor did Renko, Maribel, Watatsuki sisters, Reisen II, etc etc :V

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:09 AM »
On that note, there's a few other characters who didn't get the chance to show in the games but imo totally deserve it
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:15 AM »
>Watatsukis
>In a TH game

Hardest Boss(es) ever.

Thought they were bad in SSiB, here comes a fuckton of danmaku eating and bullshit death ready to smash your face repeatedly on the keyboard and mock you for even trying.

I could go for Reisen II though, because bunnies.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2011, 03:23:41 AM »
But but

Yorihime is <3
                                                                                   .

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2011, 04:38:24 AM »
Yorihime is <3

^

Still hoping for Kasen to be in it, though.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
>Watatsukis
>In a TH game

Hardest Boss(es) ever.

Thought they were bad in SSiB, here comes a fuckton of danmaku eating and bullshit death ready to smash your face repeatedly on the keyboard and mock you for even trying.
It'll be like Dodonpachi or one of Cave's other games where bombs do fuck-all to the TLB.

ZUN should totally use this as a baseline for Moonbitch, but with nice bullet patterns and without the mandatory bomb spamming.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #637 on: March 03, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »

Depending on which speculation/theory is actually true (if any), Maribel's possibly been fought in an XX.0 game.  :P

I'd be surprised if Kasen showed up in a game so soon.  Her own manga series had only just recently begun.  Her plot isn't even completely established yet from that series.  The three fairies didn't get to be in a game until waaaay later, too.  Of course, like the three fairies, I do expect her to show up eventually.

Now that I think about it, does Hetate even really count when considering this?  You technically did fight her spell cards in a game (Double Spoiler when you play as Aya).  Sure, it wasn't an XX.0 game, but it was one of the closest things, I think.  This also applies to Iku, Tenshi, and Suika (who weren't listed)

....eh.  Me personally, I'm expecting characters who've never been fought in any fashion before in a danmaku game (IE, not just xx.0, but also the shoot the bullet games).  Of course, that basically means I'm 99% expecting all new characters.  ZUN re-using a character as a danmaku boss in an xx.0 game is EXTREMELY rare.  Off the top of my head, the only times a char's been used as a boss in multiple games is Cirno (2nd stage boss in the first game, a midboss in the 2nd) and Lily (who doesn't really count that much since she's more like a random feature in Phantasmagoria).  And Marisa/Reimu being fought in one of the PC-98 games vs one of the Window Games, but I'm not sure if that should count either since it's... well, PC-98.

Outside of new characters, the only characters that haven't been used in a Danmaku game are Kasen (too early, IMHO), the fighting bosses (Suika, Iku, Tenshi.  All 3 I'm not really expecting but I suppose it's possible), and some of the written-works-only characters, most of whom I wouldn't really expect to show up either (though again, it's possible).

In essence, if that character was a boss in a previous game, I'm not banking on them showing up as a boss in this game.

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #638 on: March 03, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
(wordswords)

Outside of new characters, the only characters that haven't been used in a Danmaku game are Kasen (too early, IMHO), the fighting bosses (Suika, Iku, Tenshi. (and some more words)

I thought Suika was in Double Spoiler? It's been a while since I played that, but I was pretty sure she was. (Iku and Tenshi might be either, but more of a stretch because I haven't beat half the game/looked up who was in it past where I got)

Anyhow, ZUN's 99.99% chance sure going to add in 6/7 new characters - 1 for each stage, and a possible new for the EX-boss (although a re-use from another stage/game is possible). I, for one, am all for it - when UFO first came out, I was a bit hesitant to accept just about any of the characters into my head, and yet now I just see them as another part of the cast that fits in just as well.

Drake

« Reply #639 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:49 AM »
He knows that. He's wondering if having their only danmaku appearance in DS even counts as an appearance. You fight their spell cards, but it isn't really a danmaku battle.

Anyways, my stance on this is "that I don't care; ZUN will probably release the game as he always has, with everyone being new except perhaps one boss or a cameo character or whatever. Even though the general reason for any given character addition is new material, unless the character is actually relevant to the story, has plot backing or is purposefully used as filler material (even filler has a story, after all), they'd generally be a useless addition, being only danmaku or whatever. You could even say that Sanae's appearance in SA was only for the purpose of transitioning her into a (possibly permament) player character. ZUN likely had her in mind even before finishing MoF.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #640 on: March 03, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
Realistically, the only way we'd see a bunch of characters from previous games show up in a XX.0 game is if ZUN does another Phantasmagoria. Expecting more than one (or two, if it's a stage 4 gimmick) old bosses to show is a stretch, mid-bosses included.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #641 on: March 03, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
I thought Suika was in Double Spoiler? It's been a while since I played that, but I was pretty sure she was. (Iku and Tenshi might be either, but more of a stretch because I haven't beat half the game/looked up who was in it past where I got)
If I remember right, Suika appeared in both Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler, and Iku and Tenshi are stage... 9?  10?  in Double Spoiler.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #642 on: March 03, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
If I remember right, Suika appeared in both Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler, and Iku and Tenshi are stage... 9?  10?  in Double Spoiler.
Yes, and Scene 10.

So far, none of the characters who debuted in a fighting game have appeared as bosses/playable characters in a main Touhou game. Makes me wonder when, or if, they ever will. If this divine spirit crisis really has something to do with Heaven, then it's possible we might see Iku or Tenshi in passing (probably no later than Stage 4 or 5, since I expect new characters to be fought in the endgame).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #643 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
That sounds a bit against what you just said. Or did you mean endgame as in, stage 6?
Hmm... I'd really love to see Iku return. It would give ZUN an excuse for more curvy lasers, though...  ::)

« Reply #644 on: March 03, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
So far, none of the characters who debuted in a fighting game have appeared as bosses/playable characters in a main Touhou game.

Suika was one of Reimu's partners in Subterranean Animism, if that counts.

The Girl with the Golden Smile

• The insane Oneness
« Reply #645 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I feel so late to the news :(... but yay for spell practise, I can actually try and get better and not bomb on the first card like the first time I played IN XD...

As long as I get through it first of course.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #646 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
He knows that. He's wondering if having their only danmaku appearance in DS even counts as an appearance. You fight their spell cards, but it isn't really a danmaku battle.

Anyways, my stance on this is "that I don't care; ZUN will probably release the game as he always has, with everyone being new except perhaps one boss or a cameo character or whatever. Even though the general reason for any given character addition is new material, unless the character is actually relevant to the story, has plot backing or is purposefully used as filler material (even filler has a story, after all), they'd generally be a useless addition, being only danmaku or whatever. You could even say that Sanae's appearance in SA was only for the purpose of transitioning her into a (possibly permament) player character. ZUN likely had her in mind even before finishing MoF.
So would Kogasa be considered a useless addition to UFO?  She doesn't play a role in that game's plot at all.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #647 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
So would Kogasa be considered a useless addition to UFO?  She doesn't play a role in that game's plot at all.

I wouldn't say that. UFO seems to have a sub-plot I'd call "Youkai are bad". Why are they bad? Because they are scary, because they eat humans and because the scare humans to eat them, so we exterminate them. Kogasa tries to scare people and is therefore a perfect example for this (Even though she utterly fails at her youkai-job).
This sub-plot eventually leads up to the embodiment of scariness and unknown, the Nue herself. It's even made more obvious by ZUN putting Kogasa, now actually able to do her job properly, as the midboss of Nue's stage. Manjyuu are scary...
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #648 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
That sounds a bit against what you just said. Or did you mean endgame as in, stage 6?
Sorry, I should have clarified. Stage 5 only if she is supporting the final boss in whatever the crisis is. Otherwise, Stage 4.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Barrakketh

« Reply #649 on: March 03, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
ZUN said Kogasa was "the only passerby youkai in this game."
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #650 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
ZUN said Kogasa was "the only passerby youkai in this game."

AKA not important at all :V

Drake

« Reply #651 on: March 03, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
You guys are mixing up "content-less" with "purposeless". Kogasa was purposeless yeah, but she still contributed overall to the game as a whole; there's now a new character to play around with, new dialogue with a different personality and newly styled danmaku.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
Kogasa's purpose is to be incredibly fucking moe.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
Kogasa's purpose is to be incredibly fucking moe.
p much

That's why shes awesome.
                                                                                   .

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
I could see Kogasa returning as the Stage 1 Midboss, like Cirno did.

Barrakketh

« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
I could see Kogasa returning as the Stage 1 Midboss, like Cirno did.
Eh, Kogasa also appeared as the Extra midboss.  That'd be one hell of a demotion.

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
True that.

Though if any old character is returning as a (mid)boss, surprise Kogasa would be the most likely, I think.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »
You guys are mixing up "content-less" with "purposeless". Kogasa was purposeless yeah, but she still contributed overall to the game as a whole; there's now a new character to play around with, new dialogue with a different personality and newly styled danmaku.
I meant storyline-wise :V

« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
1000 hits

ty guys I luv u 2

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
1000 hits

ty guys I luv u 2

How could that be leaked? I mean, the only thing thats even mentioned Ten Desires that's official is ZUN himself, And even then, He just announced the game on his blog. Where would said music come from?