Author Topic: Your Touhou Bad Habits  (Read 30834 times)

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Re: Your Touhou Bad Habits
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
I tend to microtap up right before taking a picture in StB/DS. It helps a lot, but I lost count on how many times I've died due to that....

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
I often, especially when it is most inconvenient to do so, tap the opposite button when I move left or right immediately afterwords.

This means that if I really need to move to the right, I will do so, and then immediately for no reason hit left and move myself back into danger or often death.

Curious Sign

• -Recollection- "Smugness of the Underground"
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
I have recently learned the virtue of not hugging the bottom of the screen and leaving myself room to dodge downwards, but by the same token I have truly come to understand the pain of backing up into bullets I've already dodged  :ohdear:

« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
I manage to forget I have bombs a lot of the time. It really sucks losing a life when you have like 3 bombs left...

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »
I've developed the habit of not caring when I lose three out of my eight surplus of lives on the final boss' final card.

Then the Evaluation screen pops up.

>:O

« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
When I start losing lives in rapid succession I start getting frustrated and my play worsens. Example: I was just playing Mountain of Faith (on EASY MODO), and I was feeling confident because I was actually rockin' it hard. I lost a life to a stupid mistake against a mook, but other than that, I was doing really well. I got to Sanae, and I was surprising myself with how well I was doing.

And then the game minimized. o_o

The game paused when it minimized, so the damage wasn't too bad, but it was right when I was dodging some danmaku in between spellcards, and the moment I unpaused I was tagged by a bullet >_<.

But, wonders of wonders, I managed to capture all of her cards (even though this was actually one of my first playthroughs). Huzzah. Then it's Stage 6.

Kanako raped me.

Even though I prefer to try to get through on one credit, I was like, "screw it, I want to beat the game", so I continued. And continued. And continued.

When it got to the point where random fairies were taking out two of my lives before even seeing Kanako, I decided to call it quits before I punched by computer or something.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
Ah, Mountain of Faith, where to begin?

Since I have a scoring mindset, if I die anywhere before the Aya fight, I hastily restart the game
BECAUSE MAH SCORE ES RUINEDDDD

Witnesses report that they can't see how fast my hands are going when I reset and that the anger on my face scares them.

Curious Sign

• -Recollection- "Smugness of the Underground"
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2010, 01:28:43 AM »
Trying to read bullets too far in advance only to get killed by the bullets in my immediate area.
Also I have Obsessive Compulsive RAGE whenever I stray from an item collecting routine even slightly (read UFO)
This is the stage progression for me (Normal Mode):
Stages 1 - 3: Collect as many resources as humanly possible and rage quit if I die (unless playing SA or UFO, because with their higher difficulties, I can forgive myself)
Stages 4 and 5: Make a few stupid mistakes, but try to keep at least 3 lives for stage 6
Stage 6: TANK IT

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
My stage progression:

Stage 1- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 2- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 3- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 4- Minimal mistakes allotted.
Stage 5- At least spread out your inevitable deaths ]:(
Stage 6- Don't panic, or die.
Stage 6's End- Let loose whatever left you've got! ...Or die.

« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2010, 05:53:40 AM »

• I use my bombs up too quickly
  • I get stingy and don't use them at all, even if I really do need to
  • Look at the enemy instead around my character

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2010, 07:24:04 AM »
So I was watching a friend of mine play TH10 for the first time today

I was practically tearing myself to shreds asserting that she was pretty much letting all of the items fall off the screen

also
Raise your hands if you've died to sine-bullets in the beginning of SA-1 to raise the Graze gauge

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
also
Raise your hands if you've died to sine-bullets in the beginning of SA-1 to raise the Graze gauge
*Raises hand*
I just can't resist.

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
also

...*raises hand* Yep....

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
also

*Sheepishly raises hand*

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2010, 05:59:57 AM »
Which ones are the sine ones?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
A sine.

The double streams that the big fairies fire at you, with massive graze potential, you dig?

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:38 AM »
*Raises hand*

Kuroi

• I dodge bans and don't afraid of anything
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:09 AM »
I have a habit of spamming my bombs during boss fights. Of course, their health goes down quickly but when they unleash their spellcards, I usually have no bombs left and most of the time, I end up continuing....
I'll add something witty and amusing here later.

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
*raises hand after a long sigh*
Panicking is my bane in Touhou...

My stage progression:

Stage 1- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 2- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 3- Perfect this, or die.
Stage 4- Minimal mistakes allotted.
Stage 5- At least spread out your inevitable deaths ]:(
Stage 6- Don't panic, or die.
Stage 6's End- Let loose whatever left you've got! ...Or die.
Basically my system, except stage 5 usually for me is

Stage 5- Feel proud of all the lives you saved up in the last few stages then watch all most of them fly out the window... From one spellcard...

Azzy

• Can't hear anything but myself
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
I guess my biggest flaw is not bombing enough. There's also the small issue of ragebombing when i get killed

On the subject of moving then: If i get in a sticky situation, I panic and move to a safespot a little to fast resulting in me just overextending right into the pretty colours :ohdear:

Tigers, FTW!

• Raawr~
  • My tiger! My tiger!
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
I have a habit of spamming my bombs during boss fights. Of course, their health goes down quickly but when they unleash their spellcards, I usually have no bombs left and most of the time, I end up continuing....
This. Me in IN extra stage.
As written in AT4 Operator manual:
"Aim towards the enemy, and shoot"

But in Touhou:
"Shoot towards the enemy, don't aim"

Tigers, FTW!

• Raawr~
  • My tiger! My tiger!
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
This. Me in IN extra stage. Without the continues
As written in AT4 Operator manual:
"Aim towards the enemy, and shoot"

But in Touhou:
"Shoot towards the enemy, don't aim"

Luneth

• Down down, a clip round you, fall in drops, set a trap
  • Down down, a clip round you, get the trick of it.
    • I live here.
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure I don't rage-bomb. Ever. Don't even know what that is or how it's possible.. Too focused on getting my things back or rage-quitting.(Pfft, like I don't know what that is. If I lose a life on any but the last stage I quit. I quit a lot, which is also why I never play Touhou if I don't have at least 2 hours to do so.)

Other stuff... Making casual references to Touhou IRL and alwaays getting a "Lol, wait wut" response.
Going on Youtube to listen to something like Scatman John or SwedeMason
Spoiler:
(I like Linkin Park, but I think less than .5% of music I listen to is ever on the radio. Or "Real", or whatever you call it)
, and instead listening to something like Dial Connected, Double Scarlet, Bad Apple or Edge/Jumper. That happens... 100% of the time so far. XD

Spending twice the time on this forum than I do on all (3) other forums I'm active on combined every day.

An- wait... These things aren't all "bad" habits, they're more like normal habits. :V
But yeah, stupid mistakes on games, referencing everything IRL to Touhou, "wasting" my time with Touhou stuff all day, etc. Etc. Etc.... Etc.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
You know how the timing of the bosses in UFO suck balls?

Am I the only one who goes ahead and collects the third token and immediately tries to shoot it down only for it to fly away with 4% health?

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2010, 05:01:47 AM »
You know how the timing of the bosses in UFO suck balls?

Am I the only one who goes ahead and collects the third token and immediately tries to shoot it down only for it to fly away with 4% health?
No, no you are not >_< (which is why I try to stick with Marisa's lasers)

Also whenever I get the third UFO I want, when I go in to grab it at its desired color (red for me) I get a kick in the face by the midboss of the stage.

Micro

• Danmakufu Scripter, Touhou Player
  • I always make my danmaku, too hard.
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »
Anybody ever die out of nowhere and then immediately bomb afterward out of rage?

Not out of rage, but because I want to get those items you release when you die. Also, I MUST GET EVERY ITEM, WITH TO BORDERLINE! I like items waaay to much for my own good.
Oh... I got yin yang-ed.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
No, no you are not >_< (which is why I try to stick with Marisa's lasers)

Also whenever I get the third UFO I want, when I go in to grab it at its desired color (red for me) I get a kick in the face by the midboss of the stage.

Usually the midbosses tend to WRIGGLE KICK my Red ufos. They assplode in my face all the time :qq:

« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:53 AM »
I suck with bombs. Usually I just never use them in favor of dodging, which fails a lot of the time. I'm either really stingy with them, or I just forget they exist.

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »
Microtapping in StB/DS styled games, when taking a picture. Always gets me  :V

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

blackrider19

• Ideas are bulletproof... not spark-proof
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
Inappropraite bombing - either i forgot to bomb, or bomb wrongly, sometimes, i rarely even touch the 'X' key just to capture a card