Author Topic: Alien Swarm. Free game on Steam.  (Read 31012 times)

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
Re: Alien Swarm. Free game on Steam.
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:56 AM »
Ok, I have a doubt: during certain moments, mainly when the battle music starts (for example: the elevator scene), the game goes into Matrix mode, super-mega-ultra slow-mo. It's pretty much the only moment I get that kind of slow thing, the rest of the time I'm running it full speed with all the stuff cranked up to high (and some jaws dropped at home, the shadow and lighting work is great).

Also, I just love how I end up being the tech 'cause nobody else wants, I drop crates of ammo and nobody freaking picks 'em.

Me: "You are out of ammo, man, PICK ZE AMMO AND COVER ME WHILE I HACK THIS WINDOWS 3.1!"
Guy: "LULZ. I NEED NO AMMO. I KICK!" *charges against six enemies and gets chopped*
Me: "D'oh!" *gets owned moments later*
*remaining soldier clears the stage* (there is always a remaining one who fell behind and graciously runs to the end of the stage and over our messy corpses  :V)

Next Touhou game: Touhou 13 ~ Magical Extraterrestrial Swarm of Mystic Machine Gun Fire

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2010, 02:10:03 AM »
Ok, I have a doubt: during certain moments, mainly when the battle music starts (for example: the elevator scene), the game goes into Matrix mode, super-mega-ultra slow-mo. It's pretty much the only moment I get that kind of slow thing, the rest of the time I'm running it full speed with all the stuff cranked up to high (and some jaws dropped at home, the shadow and lighting work is great).

It does that on certain areas, but there aren't enough enemies when it happens to make it feel as intense as it should be. Like for example in the elevator the drones come in groups of 2. You can also manually activate Matrix mode with adrenaline.

EDIT: How can I change the music, I added the music in the list but nothing actually changes. I tried right clicking and stuff and I can't seem to find how to enable it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:29:41 AM by Admiral Skye »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:36 AM »
Does the game allow mic use, that might make things easier.

EDIT: I don't see how the classes are different.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2010, 02:47:22 AM »

Press c I think

Medics are the only ones who can heal
Techs can hack
I don't know much about the other two but they can use weapons the others can't. But I think it doesn't make much of a difference when everyone can use the Tesla Cannon and Flamethrower and other powerful weapons.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:42 AM »
By the way, levels are also client-sided.  While that means your level is different depending on the computer, it also means you can manually edit it if you know where to look (which I don't).
Wasn't even aware that existed.
That should be one of the things synced via Steam Cloud.

EDIT: Looks like that really is "should", because it doesn't appear to.  Hopefully Valve fixes that :3
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:27:36 AM by Barrakketh »
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:09 AM »

Medics are the only class that can heal.  Techs are the only class that can hack, and they do things like welding and assembling sentries faster.  One of the remaining classes is the only one that can use miniguns, and I'm not sure about the other one (only played tech and medic so far lol).

Also, each class receives bonuses for different things, and each character within each class receives the bonuses in varying sizes (for example, Faith is better at removing parasites while the other medic has different attributes (never played him lol)).

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2010, 04:42:04 AM »
Playing ONline is so so much more fun. IN offline, I'll open a door and the bots will stay and get killed. It's aldo annoying how you have to lead them.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2010, 05:12:36 AM »
Promoted to Titanium so now I'm level 1 again.   :(

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2010, 05:52:03 AM »
Whenever I hear Vegas say "recargando"(reloading) I hear "Estoy cagando"(I'm taking a shit). I blame the internet for making me think like this.

EDIT: Also...

since when is Mexican a language?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:01:11 AM by Admiral Skye »

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »
As I understand it techs are also mission-critical so if yours dies, the mission's over and you have to restart.  Mostly because you won't be able to hack anything.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
Played 2 hours yesterday with some friends, still couldn't clear the last mission on hard.
Also INFESTATION SADFKJKJJKKJLLKJKJLK

Vicks

• Hurr Durr
  • WRYYYY
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
Chainsaws tear down welded doors faster than those little welders.

For this, I am gonna chainsaw down ANY door I see :V Because it feels good destroying inanimate metal with another piece of inanimate metal.
I am a thinker. I cast light on various concepts. I can unveil the world's dark secrets if I so please. And yet, there is a single enigma that even I cannot clarify.  - Renko Usami

I am a dreamer. I wander through countless dreams. If I will, I can even walk the roads of the land of illusion. And yet, there is a single vision that even I cannot grasp. - Maribel Han

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »
Chainsaws tear down welded doors faster than those little welders.

For this, I am gonna chainsaw down ANY door I see :V Because it feels good destroying inanimate metal with another piece of inanimate metal.
I want a chainsaw now :V

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
How come I am here at work, reading forums instead of, you know, playing this? Oh, wait... :V

Nevermind. It appears I even have to stay extra hours, god, I want this day to end so hopefully tomorrow I might be able to play at least something.

Is there a level cap? Or a point where earning levels no longer nets benefits/stuff/unlockables?

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »
How come I am here at work, reading forums instead of, you know, playing this? Oh, wait... :V

Nevermind. It appears I even have to stay extra hours, god, I want this day to end so hopefully tomorrow I might be able to play at least something.

Is there a level cap? Or a point where earning levels no longer nets benefits/stuff/unlockables?
I heard people saying 27.  If it stops there I'll be extremely disappointed.

« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
I heard people saying 27.  If it stops there I'll be extremely disappointed.
27 is the level cap currently.  Once you hit 27 you have the option of promoting, which adds a shiny medal to your name and resets you back to level 1.  I think you can promote multiple times, but you have to unlock everything again.

Barrakketh

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »
Oh hey, update:

Fixed weapon switch key in the 360 controller config
XP and level are stored in the Steam Cloud
Fixed duplicate rows in the "Find Public Games" screen
Reduced screen shake when you have high ping
Fixed dedicated server always starting in LAN mode
Fixed custom item button binds not displaying properly on HUD
Fixed full network updates causing duplicate client ragdolls to spawn
Added console commands to change game access on the fly (make_game_public and make_game_friends_only)
Fixed welding icon sometimes getting stuck above player's head
Fixed HUD elements being cut off in ultra wide resolutions
Removed cheat flag from a number of cosmetic console commands
Now firing, meleeing, or reloading while welding will break you out of the weld
Fixed spectators earning achievements
Fixed infinite ammo exploit
Fixed XP exploit
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Xijiy

• What a purrfect post
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
I downloaded the game but since I have to go to work I'll just play it when I get home.

If anyone needs someone to play with them just let me know.  :V

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
As I understand it techs are also mission-critical so if yours dies, the mission's over and you have to restart.  Mostly because you won't be able to hack anything.
Late response, but that's only on missions that require hacking.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »
I want to know why my ping is 300. I get 150 in TF2 and doing those console commands to lower ping doesn't work on either game.

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
I want to know why my ping is 300. I get 150 in TF2 and doing those console commands to lower ping doesn't work on either game.
Connection quality in this game is terrible.  Best ping I've seen from a non-host is 230.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
It also doesn't help you don't know the ping you'll get on the server you are connecting to or what country the host is from. I ended up in a game with Finnish players, I was seeing a lot of lag even though I was spectating.

EDIT: Searching for games online is a bit broken. It doesn't update and it gets annoying. I once tried joining an easy game and I ended up on a hard game, I try to join a game on the first level and the game is already on the finale. The friends list is also broken. It might say the person has a slot open but when you try to join it says it's full, and it might say the room is full but the person is in the main menu.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:37:15 PM by Admiral Skye »

Barrakketh

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
Connection quality in this game is terrible.  Best ping I've seen from a non-host is 230.
Keep in mind that virtually all TF2 servers are dedicated.  Alien Swarm's are being hosted on your home connection so improperly configured or shitty home routers, crappy ISPs, and the like can cause connection issues.

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
Keep in mind that virtually all TF2 servers are dedicated.  Alien Swarm's are being hosted on your home connection so improperly configured or shitty home routers, crappy ISPs, and the like can cause connection issues.
If I host on TF2, I've seen people in the US connect with ping ranges from 10 to 105.  If I host on Alien Swarm, everyone's in the upper 200s minimum.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
2-manned with a certain magical Mima.  Feels good man.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
Yay for 728 ping at 18:39. It seems I won't be able to play today thanks to my ISP. Will have to wait for tomorrow but I'm happy to hear the 230 ping was common, I'm down here in South America so I know what is to have a high ping but even on local servers getting that... ARGH. But the good point is that if connecting to the US still gave 200 ping (because I did play with people from the US due to their mics being on and me hearing all the "FFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!") then there must be something wrong with the readings.

So, my friend list is actually empty sans for another guy so I would like to add you guys so I can play this thing at least with not-so-random people.

Well, they added Steam Cloud support in the latest update. At least for the XP levels.

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »

P much owned the game with a tech and a medic :derp:

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
So, my friend list is actually empty sans for another guy so I would like to add you guys so I can play this thing at least with not-so-random people.
Cue the URL spam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/esoterica

Yeah, but what difficulty? :derp:

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
Cue the URL spam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/esoterica

EASY MODO FOR GLORY. Anyway, I'll add you I guess. I'm AbyssalSoul there. I'm trying to log in and see if I can create a game without that much ping but I'm reaching the critical hour. Seems for 30 mins I get perfect ping, then it goes to hell.

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »

Normal :V
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:15:27 PM by Mima-sama »