Author Topic: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)  (Read 51036 times)

Re: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »
The team sent on this mission was given as much equipment as we had available; we sent laser weapons (both pistols and rifles), the alien grenades, autocannons with all three types of ammunition, flares, armor, and an HWP. If anything, the team arrived over-equipped; the debriefing states it took a significant amount of time to sort through the equipment prior to arrival at Ankara.

PURVIS: Get ready to deploy.

HANZO: I'm spotting a Gray in the alley...

HANZO: ...and one across the street. Permission to open fire?
PURVIS: Granted, but exercise caution not to hit civilians.

HANZO: Got the first one, going for the second one... Damn, missed and hit the wall. Looks like there's a civilian in there, requesting backup.
CHAORE: Got it.

HANZO: Nice shot.

ZENGAR: Me and ?Muscles? are moving out.

HANZO: We've spotted a survivor over... damn it! I spotted the Gray that fired, I'm taking the shot!

HANZO: Okay, we're clear. Gray tried to use a grenade before it went down, definitely not the best throwing arm.

?MUSCLES?: I've spotted something... looks like a floating disc or something.
HANZO: I've got it.

HANZO: There's another one there. Kinda figures, that.
ZENGAR: I've got a clear shot at this one.

ZENGAR: Whoa. These disc things don't go quietly. Make sure to keep your distance when fighting them.

?MUSCLES?: The door's open here, keep an eye out for potential survivors or hostiles.

HANZO: We've got a Gray at the edge of the blast area. Shouldn't be a problem, although ?edge of the blast area? is going to have probably changed the next time I check in.

HANZO: Another survivor down here.

HANZO: Another Gray... don't have a clear shot.

CHAORE: It's going to be a long shot, but I think I've got this.

ZENGAR: We've got a Gray over here, it's behind cover.
PURVIS: Well then, time to try out these new grenades.

?NOT ACIDUS?: I just checked, we've got another survivor back there.

ZENGAR: We've got a Gray in that store over there.

CHAORE: I'm going to check it out.

CHAORE: Huh, there was two of them. By the way, this laser pistol's pretty impress

HANZO: The HWP's taking a hit from the side, there's something over there... the HWP's not responding. There goes the rest of this month's budget, huh?
PURVIS: Okay, there's something down there, but without the HWP it's going to be too dangerous to scout.

KUSANAGI: Well, we'll just have to get a look from here. Switching to incendiary rounds.

KUSANAGI: We've got another of those disc things.
PURVIS: Okay. Open fire!

The outcome of this mission was not necessarily perfect, but we're generally satisfied with the outcome. While we did lose an HWP in combat, losing a remotely-operated machine is much preferable to losing a field agent, and a replacement is already prepared for deployment.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
Well, coulda gone better, but at least I blew shit up real good!  :D
How many kills did I get anyhow? I lost track.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »
WOOOOOOOO!  NO OPERATIVE CASUALTIES!

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »
Well, coulda gone better, but at least I blew shit up real good!  :D
How many kills did I get anyhow? I lost track.

MMMMYYYY TAAAANNNK

THOSE ALIEN BASTARDS ARE GONNA DIIIIE. After I suplex hanzo for letting it get busted up.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:06 AM »
Well,  we can always get a new one, maybe a stronger one?
Isn't there a way to apply what we learned from the personal armor projects to enhamcing the HWP's armor?
Adding lasers wouldn't go wrong either though.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:16 AM »
Well,  we can always get a new one, maybe a stronger one?
Isn't there a way to apply what we learned from the personal armor projects to enhamcing the HWP's armor?
Adding lasers wouldn't go wrong either though.
The research division has considered the concept of an HWP using a laser cannon, but at this point they haven't developed anything large or powerful enough to justify using it as a craft-mounted weapon rather than a man-portable one. I'm also told that after seeing recovered footage of the "discs" in Andora, that there's the idea of using technology reverse-engineered from the alien craft to create a new type of HWP. However, it'll take significant time and research before either idea becomes tangible. Don't get your hopes up for a better model of HWP anytime soon.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »
I just want some revenge on those aliens who blew up my HWP man, they deserve a licking and I'm here to give it to them. So yea I'm asking for an early release from the psycho ward to get back at those greys and indigos and what nots.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »
The research division has considered the concept of an HWP using a laser cannon, but at this point they haven't developed anything large or powerful enough to justify using it as a craft-mounted weapon rather than a man-portable one. I'm also told that after seeing recovered footage of the "discs" in Andora, that there's the idea of using technology reverse-engineered from the alien craft to create a new type of HWP. However, it'll take significant time and research before either idea becomes tangible. Don't get your hopes up for a better model of HWP anytime soon.
Well if anything we'd need a live disc, and seeing how sensible are these fucks... yeah sure.

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
Does equipping a first-aid kit require a free hand?

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Does equipping a first-aid kit require a free hand?
Yes, but a weapon can be used in the opposite hand. Larger weapons such as rifles suffer some accuracy loss, but pistols do not. This means pistols are ideal for when an agent needs to have other equipment ready, such as medi-kits, grenades, or flares.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
Heh, it's as I assumed then.

It would appear that my calculations were correct on this factor.
So the only thing stopping up is snagging a live Disc eh?
I can see where that'd be troublesome, given as how they like to, uh, blow up.

But an HWP-mounted laser would have considerably more punch than the handhelds though, given that it'd have a stronger reactor to draw on.
The real problem there would be scaling up the handhelds, which would most likely cost a lot of time and effort.
And given that the aliens just introduced their version of the HWP(more-or-less), we're gonna need to up our game if we wanna win.
Worst-case scenario, the aftermath of that really big battle in the first Macross series.
Yeah....Don't wanna see that happen, eh?
So we gotta up our game guys!

Is there a way to add the lasers to an Interceptor?
Because if the Interceptors had Lasers, then they'd be able to knock those bastards right outta the sky!
....Unless the Interceptors already have 'em, in which case.......The Interceptors need a total design plan overhaul, because they're not cutting it anymore.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
Heh, it's as I assumed then.

It would appear that my calculations were correct on this factor.
So the only thing stopping up is snagging a live Disc eh?
I can see where that'd be troublesome, given as how they like to, uh, blow up.

But an HWP-mounted laser would have considerably more punch than the handhelds though, given that it'd have a stronger reactor to draw on.
The real problem there would be scaling up the handhelds, which would most likely cost a lot of time and effort.
And given that the aliens just introduced their version of the HWP(more-or-less), we're gonna need to up our game if we wanna win.
Worst-case scenario, the aftermath of that really big battle in the first Macross series.
Yeah....Don't wanna see that happen, eh?
So we gotta up our game guys!

Is there a way to add the lasers to an Interceptor?
Because if the Interceptors had Lasers, then they'd be able to knock those bastards right outta the sky!
....Unless the Interceptors already have 'em, in which case.......The Interceptors need a total design plan overhaul, because they're not cutting it anymore.
It appears there has been a slight misunderstanding. While the idea for more advanced HWPs was inspired by seeing the Discs, we do not need to capture one live (and frankly, attempting to do so would be a suicidal endeavor).

There are three primary projects the research division is working on right now.

The first is improvements on the laser weaponry. At our current stage, they are currently working on a "heavy laser", which would have power on par with the autocannon's armor-piercing rounds. Following that, they believe they would be able to create a vehicle-sized laser, which could be used for HWPs and Interceptors.

The second is reverse-engineering of the alien craft. While we have had success in analysis of the alloys used in their construction and the Elerium fuel, we still need work on understanding how the engines and navigation systems work. Once that is complete, we could replicate the designs of alien craft to create new, more advanced HWPs and aircraft.

The third project is analysis of the alien weapons and equipment. We have had a minor success in this regard, with the alien grenades being the first extraterrestrial weapon we have been able to repurpose for our own use. Work is still in progress on the alien firearms; once the research division has been able to understand how a weapon and its ammunition works, we will be able to use it for ourselves.

Minor projects, such as autopsy, have been postponed indefinitely.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
Hmm.....I see.

Well, that makes things easier, we just have to hold out until we can do almost all the stuff they can do, then we can take the fight to them.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »

After the failure to bring down the ship that attacked Ankara, it's been decided to switch our interceptors over to using a full payload of Avalanche missiles until we can find a better weapon. While the launchers have a significantly reduced ammunition capacity compared to the Stingrays, their long range should help reduce the risk to our craft.

We've recieved another HWP, this time with an armor-piercing cannon. It's been decided that for the time being, we will handle field combat operations with a six-person team alongside a pair of HWPs. Anthony has recovered well from Novosibirsk, and is anxious to get back to work.

Pacific Watch and Americom are now at preliminary operational capacity, with living quarters and storage facilities online. We've sent weapons and equipment over from Firstlight; the agents we have hired for security should arrive in roughly three days. Once we have more financial resources available, we will construct radar systems to expand our global detection range.

For once, things seem to be going well.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2010, 01:07:27 AM »
*high-fives Anthony*

Things are lookin' up.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2010, 01:35:22 AM »
Sweet, and now we wait for the doom of my rage that shall come \m/

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
Heh....now we can dish out more damage.
Here's hoping we can take the fight to the alien scum when we get the tech!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2010, 02:04:50 AM »
The personnel we requisitioned for our new bases has arrived.

Pacific Watch and Americom each have six combat personnel. Pacific Watch, in addition to the head of security and second-in-command, has two male and two female agents. Americom's agents are all male, apart from a female second-in-command.

Despite their lack of combat experience, many of these agents show significant promise, especially the ones stationed at Americom. If necessary, we will transfer them to Firstlight.

The active duty roster at Firstlight has been changed again. Many of the veteran agents are now on leave until they are needed for major operations again. The second HWP has been loaded onto the Skyranger, and our communications room has been prepared for both Anthony and Hanzo to operate from at once.

A small alien craft was spotted in Northern Africa, and quickly brought down by a pair of Avalanches. Once daylight hits, we will send a team to inspect the crash, although given the yield of the Avalanche there isn't expected to be much left.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
And so it begins, or in other terms.

TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN RAAAAA

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »

PURVIS: Okay, we're landed. Hanzo, Anthony, get ready to move out.
HANZO: Got it.
ANTHONY: No problem.

HANZO: I'm spotting two Grays.
ANTHONY: Perfect. Hey, assholes, guess what?

ANTHONY: I'm baaaack!

HANZO: Okay, outside's clear.

PURVIS: Get ready to storm the ship.

?NOT ACIDUS?: I'm spotting three Grays in the ship. We'll quickly fire into the ship then get back behind cover.

?MORE MUSCLES?: Got one.

?WILL KILL?: Got another.

MR. BOB: Got the last one.

[END TRANSMISSION]

This was another successful routine operation. There was heavy damage to the alien craft; the engine was entirely destroyed by the Avalanche salvo, taking a portion of the crew with it. However, we were able to recover the navigation systems.

For the first time in a while, there has been a round of promotions for agents at Firstlight. Purvis has been promoted to the rank of Colonel. Kusanagi and Chaore have been promoted to Captain. Long-standing veterans Zengar, Acidus, and Doll Soldier have been promoted to Sergeant.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
Oh God.  I cracked up at Anthony's line.

Also, promotions are awesome.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
And that shall be only the first of many I'll get back at. :3

ALIEN BLOOD FOR THE EARTH BLOOD GOD

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
BLOCK
ALIEN KICK
PROMOTIOOOOOOOOOOOOONS

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »
Heh, we sure did thrash 'em good didn't we?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »

Our research division has had continued success with the laser weapons projects; their newest prototype is on par with the armor-piercing ammunition used by some of our older weaponry. It is unable to completely replace the laser rifle due to a slow rate of fire, and cannot replace the autocannon's capacity for high-explosive or incendiary ammunition, but the heavy laser should find a niche in our arsenal.

More importantly, the project team believes they can make a final iteration of the laser weaponry; a vehicle-mounted laser beam that would entirely replace conventional armor-piercing cannons on our HWPs and interceptors.

With the manufacturing division having little else to do, production on the new laser weapons has begun.

We detected a large craft in Eastern Europe. Both interceptors were deployed in case it headed for a major city, but we lost track of the ship. We've had no reports of incidents since; it's possible the ship was going to the alien outpost.

The research team has also finished their study of the reactors we have recovered. This leaves only one major component left to analyze; once we have reverse-engineered the navigation systems, we should be able to develop new craft based on the alien ships.

Additionally, the research team proposes a miniaturized version of the reactor for use in battlefield armor. The reactor would produce a gravity field to offset the weight of the armor, making it feel no heavier than current personal armor while providing significantly more protection.

With our advantage against the enemy growing by the day, the tide in the war for humanity is turning in our favor.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »
Awesome.  The research division is really goin' at it.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2010, 02:31:25 AM »
That's some hardcore researching.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »
Heh, they're finally getting off their cans and really gettin' to it, eh chief?

Of course, even with the new tech, I'm content with just using an HWP, I'll stick with that until the end.
Simply because it blows stuff up good, Y'know?
I'm just glad that the Vehicle Lasers are gonna get researched, because that means more firepower, and more firepower equals better odds of either driving the enemy away, or taking the fight to their world.

Personally, I'm in strong favor of the latter.
They don't mess with Earth and expect to get away with it, right?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

Construction work continues at Pacific Watch and Americom. The first of several hangars at each base has been completed, and work has begun on additional storage facilities and radar systems. While we cannot afford to purchase new interceptors for these bases right now, they should be available by the time the radar is active.

An alien craft was spotted over Eastern Europe; while it evaded interception, it is too small to pose a significant threat. We are hoping that the research division is able to develop faster interception craft, and that the expanded radar coverage from the new bases will assist us.

The month ended without any further incident. Our backers are satisfied with how well we're doing so far; while they have declined to increase our budget, our funding is being maintained. While this funding may seem paltry, we have been able to supplement it by selling recovered alien equipment to collectors; a single device can net our agency up to a quarter of a million dollars.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
Seems like we got a bit of a break at the end of the month.