Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151677 times)

ebarrett

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2010, 12:52:40 AM »
You might want to put a spoiler tag on the card names, y'know.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2010, 12:57:18 AM »
At what point does it start being okay to stop protecting the ears of people who have likely already had the name of the extra boss spoiled anyway? A week?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ebarrett

« Reply #482 on: August 18, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
At what point do people who 1. don't want to be spoiled, and 2. do not want to have a pirated copy of the game, have access to it?

Besides if his attitude was "who cares about spoilers" he wouldn't have referred to "the boss".

nintendonut888

« Reply #483 on: August 18, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
I'm one to respect spoilers, but come on. If there were a new character there would be people gushing/hazing the new character. Merely the boss theme "Magus Night" is spoiling who the boss is. Past the first 72 hours I don't really see a point in keeping spoilers in a community like this. :/
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #484 on: August 18, 2010, 01:51:36 AM »
[11:25] <xxxxx> Baity; check the raeg thread, but skip the bottom of page 16
[11:25] <xxxxx> so start from page 17 and read on
hi

Merely the boss theme
Spoiler:
"Magus Night"
is spoiling who the boss is.
I actually didn't even know what the theme was, seeing as the only thing that comes remotely close to that is "this" screenshot. To add, all I really know about the Extra stage is TEST SLAVE, though there's an awful lot of evidence / guesswork leading me to think that the boss is in fact
Spoiler:
Marisa

Pass 72 hours and... how many people (with note that this is the Western Fanbase we're talking about) who don't pirate the games would have a copy in their hands by now? I'd probably say 0, people traveling to Japan not counting for reasons that should be more or less obvious. 72 hours, while I know you're doing this in goodwill, is simply, to be put quite frankly, insignificant; it's much better to drop the whole spoiler deal as soon as the game is available for purchase outside of Comiket; which is also when royalflare adds the scoreboard onto their site.

On the side, my past 5 runs or so of UFO Lunatic have featured me failing Murasa's Survival Spell Card each and every single time.

EDIT: Grammar check.

Spell Cards Captured:
Spoiler:
01/26
Spell Cards Timed out:
Spoiler:
00/26
Lowlight of this run:
Spoiler:
Death on Mid-Boss!Nue
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:44:50 AM by Baitikkuri »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #485 on: August 18, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »
Tsk, last spell card, final phase of extra. Figures I would make a stupid dodge at the point that is more like a hardcore dodge spell than anything else in the game.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
My little sister is seven and plays IN with me.

Her-Stage 4 is crap.
Me-What about Keine?
Her-Her too.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
Banshiryuu C67

What the Christ man.

EDIT:
Does this game seriously only give you four lives to beat it?  :/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:25:32 PM by Jaimers »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #488 on: August 18, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I just had my best run at GFW Lunatic, 2 deaths over the first two stages (A-1).

Game over on Stage 3 Boss's second Spellcard.

Why is this game suddenly so fucking impossible?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #489 on: August 19, 2010, 04:05:57 AM »

Damn it, so freaking close. If I didn't die to that stupid EoSD bubble...
Or, alternatively, if I didn't die to Rumia! WTF

« Reply #490 on: August 19, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Played Mystic Square for the first time today (on Normal mode), and things were going relatively well up until stage 4. Entered the Yuki/Mai boss battle with five lives, and proceeded to lose them all, mostly to the tracking laser in the second attack.

Also, Devil's Recitation with red bullet streams on a red background is painful.

(by the way, how do I get Anex86 to display Japanese characters instead of random alphanumerics?)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #491 on: August 19, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
Config -> Font -> (browse option) -> the file attached
<>

« Reply #492 on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »
That still doesn't seem to have worked... Do I need to press anything to apply the changes? The config window doesn't seem to have any "OK" or "Apply" button.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #493 on: August 19, 2010, 01:47:16 PM »
Hm, strange. There's no "apply" button or anything of the sort; closing the config window automatically saves your settings.

After selecting the font, you should be getting something like this:

which would be showing that the bitmap has been loaded properly (the preview displayed there is the top-left corner of the bitmap itself).

If the font is loading (like the above) but not displaying in-game properly, then I wouldn't know what's causing it to go all jibberish.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:49:20 PM by Baitikkuri »
<>

« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
Hmm... The font doesn't even seem to be loading when I select it; the file name field is still empty, and the preview window doesn't change.

...I wouldn't happen to need to run the emulator in compatibility mode (I'm using Vista) or Japanese locale or something like that, would I?

EDIT: This should probably be in the tech support forums instead, shouldn't it?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:32:56 AM by yoshicookiezeus »

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #495 on: August 20, 2010, 12:19:47 AM »
Man, you know you're having an off day when you can't even get the right UFO colors you wanted. orz

« Reply #496 on: August 20, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Ragin' about GFW's scoring system. Everytime I play I keep progressively getting better at maximizing my freeze area, supposedly giving me more points... Then as the game end rolls around, I notice my score has gone up maybe one million, if that, even though I played the stages significantly better than the score I just bet by 100k. Fucking clear bonus, I think it's bullshit, to be perfectly honest. Game needs more emphisis on what you do during it, and less focus what resources you end up with at the end.

So this is just an asshole rage, considering I've done nothing rageworthy, really. Just this fucking score system  >:(

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #497 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:46 AM »
I find it funny that for me, half of my deaths result in collisions with the enemy.
I've been kicked by Wriggle, Mystia, Keine, Tewi, Reisen, Marisa, Chen, Kanako...

*sigh

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #498 on: August 20, 2010, 07:58:58 AM »
Yesterday, body slammed in the bottom left corner by Luna Child leaving the screen, and today getting killed twice by invisible bullets in Kogasa's 2nd card.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #499 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
Just this fucking score system  >:(
so like this post made my motivation to play fairy wars for an extended period of time basically drop to 0

Moving on,

BAITY, STOP DYING WITH BO(ry
<>

« Reply #500 on: August 20, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm one to respect spoilers, but come on. If there were a new character there would be people gushing/hazing the new character. Merely the boss theme "Magus Night" is spoiling who the boss is. Past the first 72 hours I don't really see a point in keeping spoilers in a community like this. :/

I for one had the Extra boss spoiled for me by you, when you said you got up to her spellcard
Spoiler:
Blazing Star
:V
Admittedly I'm being stubborn and was determined to 1cc the game on Lunatic before going after Extra (it's not like I could have expected you to know that), but still, when you have a name as distinctive as
Spoiler:
Blazing Star
, it'd be nice for a spoiler tag.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #501 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
I for one had the Extra boss spoiled for me by you, when you said you got up to her spellcard
Spoiler:
Blazing Star
:V
Admittedly I'm being stubborn and was determined to 1cc the game on Lunatic before going after Extra (it's not like I could have expected you to know that), but still, when you have a name as distinctive as
Spoiler:
Blazing Star
, it'd be nice for a spoiler tag.
But doesn't
Spoiler:
Utsuho
also have a card by that name? Granted, it would be more odd seeing her in Fairy Wars than
Spoiler:
Marisa
, but still.

EDIT: And holy crap I've gotten rusty at SA.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:07:49 PM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #502 on: August 21, 2010, 12:40:28 AM »
I never considered her to have a card with that name, though she does indeed have cards with Blazing Star

Blazing Star "Fixed Star/ Planetary Revolution/ Ten Evil Stars"

I've never considered the part outside quotations to actually be part of the spell card name, so if you say Blazing Star, I'm not going to think about this card.

Bananamatic

« Reply #503 on: August 21, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
BAITY, STOP DYING WITH BO(ry
You clearly didn't tranquilize enough sheep

« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2010, 03:26:04 AM »
so like this post made my motivation to play fairy wars for an extended period of time basically drop to 0

Hey mang, it might be your bag. The danmaku is a lot harder than any Touhou shmup to date, at least. If you don't freeze anything...

nintendonut888

« Reply #505 on: August 21, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »
Made it to the 3 Fairies' last non-spell. I am confused how so many people have already 1cc'd lunatic. :<

« Reply #506 on: August 21, 2010, 06:49:05 AM »
Why is GFW Extra harder than GFW Lunatic? The extra boss's attacks are cheap! All of your cards are retarded gimmicks. The only extra boss i have hated this much before is Evil Eye Sigma.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:49:45 PM by Uncle Zengeku »

nintendonut888

« Reply #507 on: August 21, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »
Really? If you discount the familiars as a gimmick and more of a callback, what gimmicks would she have? I'd actually call her one of the more skill-based extra bosses.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:16:24 AM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #508 on: August 21, 2010, 07:25:46 AM »
Really? If you discount the familiars as a gimmick and more of a callback, what gimmicks would she have? I'd actually call her one of the more skill-based extra bosses.

Sure. I was just raging. Mainly over her familiars. I didn't like getting rammed by them in SoEW and i don't like it now. Maybe if she appeared in an actual shmup where you don't have to rely on the ice i would appreciate her more.

Remember Ikaruga? I hate gimmicks.

Bananamatic

« Reply #509 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Why is GFW Extra harder than GFW Lunatic? Marisa's attacks are cheap! All of your cards are retarded gimmicks. The only extra boss i have hated this much before is Evil Eye Sigma.
EES looks pretty fun, too bad the main mode is unplayable garbage