Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments V3  (Read 165852 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Accomplishments V3
« Reply #960 on: October 13, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »
After some hardcore blind fiddling, I have fixed Anex86's problem where it is flickering. How you may ask? After trying many things before it, I discovered that Synch (vs Asynch which it was on before) does not flicker. After turning Synch down to 1, the game now works...FLAWLESSLY. OMG THIS IS SO GREAT, IT'S LIKE MY SKILLS ARE REBORN.

To celebrate, I perfected Mugetu and cleared LLS extra with only 2 deaths (maybe the problem WAS hampering my abilities). I have also FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY figured out the MS extra preboss spam thanks to a response on a Youtube video. Despite how it looks, once the final part begins, simply streaming as slowly to the right as possible will cause everything to miss you.

I repeat: YESSSSSSS!

But PoDD still doesn't work. :(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Matsuri

« Reply #961 on: October 13, 2009, 01:45:18 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53gEZyIqybA&fmt=22

New Mystical Chain level down!  PC-98 Alice was a big surprise.

That was amazing. Kind of makes me want to actually try at Mystical Chain. PC-98 Alice is one of my favorites <3

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #962 on: October 13, 2009, 01:49:50 AM »
That was amazing. Kind of makes me want to actually try at Mystical Chain. PC-98 Alice is one of my favorites <3

It's Mystic Records, though. So, not quite the real Alice, but still looks awesome.

Matsuri

« Reply #963 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:35 AM »
If it looks like PC-98 Alice, has a variation of her theme song, and uses spells that are meant to resemble PC-98 Alice's patterns, it's easier just to say it's her :P

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #964 on: October 13, 2009, 02:51:45 AM »
After some hardcore blind fiddling, I have fixed Anex86's problem where it is flickering. How you may ask? After trying many things before it, I discovered that Synch (vs Asynch which it was on before) does not flicker. After turning Synch down to 1, the game now works...FLAWLESSLY. OMG THIS IS SO GREAT, IT'S LIKE MY SKILLS ARE REBORN.

To celebrate, I perfected Mugetu and cleared LLS extra with only 2 deaths (maybe the problem WAS hampering my abilities).
Okay, WOW.  I did this (as well as turned on all the sound channels and stuff, stupid default options) and I too perfected Mugetu and cleared the Extra on my second try (albeit with no lives left).  It is SO FRIGGIN' SMOOTH.  It's like when I first used the Vsync patch for PCB.

That said...it also seems a chunk faster.  Gengetu's third phase killed me twice because I didn't think it was that fast.  And I was getting much less than 1% slowdown even before (now a flat zero), so it it just that the removal of the tiny chunks of lag makes stuff seem faster, or did I tweak something I shouldn't have and speed things up a bit?

EDIT: Also, according to this, my value for "possible points", or whatever the last line before the final two says, was over 100.  Significantly.

???
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:39:25 AM by A Terrible Person »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

nintendonut888

« Reply #965 on: October 13, 2009, 05:37:31 AM »
* Donut breathes heavily like Ganondorf does at the end of OoT

Nnnnnghhh.....YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SA STAGE 4 LUNATIC NO DEATHS.

SA STAGE 5 LUNATIC ONE DEATH.

SA STAGE 6 LUNATIC NO DEATHS.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

Seriously, Utsuho didn't deserve to evade my no death run this long, especially not after Remilia and Kaguya. It's all because of her first spell card and second non-spell. Thankfully I finally (30 minutes later) reached Hell's Tokamak with 2.00 power AND was smart enough to use those bombs. I never want to repeat the amount of times I had to make hitbox prayer dodges in Subterranean Sun, but the point is...I BEAT HER. Now Byakuren is the only Windows boss left before I've beaten every final boss on lunatic without dying. Unless stage practice is somehow added to PC-98, I'm not really ever going to try beating those no deaths.

And if you're wondering why no replay of SA stage 4 or 6 even though I beat them no deaths, it's because they are entirely unimpressive, especially since for stage 6 to keep my sanity I bomb spammed the stage like there was no tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:39:36 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #966 on: October 13, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »

EDIT: Uh, Stage 5 SCs.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:23:36 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #967 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »
UFO Normal 1cc with SanaeB. No replay because Stages 4 and 5 were horrible.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #968 on: October 13, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
After a fair bit of time and effort (shut up, I'm new at this), I have now 1CC'd EoSD Easy with every single character, as well as captured every Easy spellcard. On to PCB!
Spoiler:
Mind, I think this one will take a fair bit longer, as my frustration with all my deaths on the Prismrivers and Youmu eventually eroded my gameplay to the point where I bombed twice on Pentagram Flight E, and still died before it was over. Still, I've at least gotten to Yuyuko before, so I'll probably have a victory to show for it before the end of the week.

theshirn

« Reply #969 on: October 13, 2009, 07:56:19 PM »
I am forced to conclude that EX Alice is nowhere near as hard as I thought.

I just tried her for the first time in months.  Got to her cheeto laser phase (which is a full phase and a half farther than ever before), 5 deaths...2 bombs.  And one was at the spam.

...I'm'a go beat LLS Lunatic and MS Extra now.  Or go to class and then do it.  Either way.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #970 on: October 14, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
Got to Gengetu's second to last phase!

Which is really good because I went into her 0/2 thanks to stupid mistakes on the stage and especially on Mugetu.

Gengetu is so much fucking fun.

nintendonut888

« Reply #971 on: October 14, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
With the advent of savestates in Next, I decided to take a tour of SoEW, to study a few particular things that I really want to learn. Firstly, I'm disappointed as usual in Next. It lags so severely (much worse than it was on my old computer with Anex86) that I can't even set up a stage practice to attempt stuff like no death runs. This lag means that it is ONLY good for studying patterns

Of course, there is only one thing I really cared about: Mima. The cheating bitch who throws undodgeable danmaku at you like her star attack. Through the magic of savestate scumming, I made the most amazing discovery ever: Dodging that star attack is all about knowing what is coming and how to react, and that that is possible.

I discovered from constant savestate reloading from both a specific point at the start of her third set of attacks (after she drops three power items) and from the start of the fight that Mima's third set of attacks (which include two attacks that until now were autobombs) that they always follow the same progression:

1. Easy firing of bullets with wide gaps throughout the screen.

2. Spinning whachamacolits (the something suns) that release, spin rapidly, and fire a ton of danmaku after about a second.

3. The infamous star attack.

While the first attack of the set is randomly generated, these three attacks repeat in an endless cycle until you start Mima's fourth set of attacks. That takes care of the spinning suns attack. While the margin of error is still thin, the part that made this attack impossible was that you couldn't predict it, and by the time you recognize it and what's coming, it's already too late.

But what of the star attack? The infamous "fuck you" storm that is supposedly impossible? After state reloading over and over again, I died to this attack time and time again. It truly seemed impossible. Then out of boredom I tried lollygagging around the sides of and above Mima and noticed that, logically, this fires the clusterfuck in a different direction.

And then it hit me.

The way to dodge the star attack is to dash to the side of Mima (a little below that is fine too). As soon as it begins firing, fly down; Reimu B is just fast enough to outrun it if you time it perfectly. This brings you completely outside of the attack, leaving only the aimed stars to deal with. This just leaves simple streaming to dodge the remaining attacks. When I first discovered this I thought it only a novelty because there's no way you could predict it.

And now you can.

* Donut folds arms in triumph.

EDIT: BTW, ALL of Mima's attack phases follow this general rule: While the first attack is randomly generated, they will always follow the same progression, making this fight suddenly extremely easy and predictable. Still can't dodge that PoS attack where she floods the screen with bullets with hitboxes larger than the sprites, but whatever.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:10:01 AM by nintendonut888 »

Bananamatic

« Reply #972 on: October 14, 2009, 04:18:32 AM »
Cleared UFO Extra only with 1 death.....
....which was on Blue UFO.

Then again, I would die somewhere else. I can probably no death this if I would concentrate on bomb UFOs more since EX Kogasa is no longer dangerous....

Does anyone here also do Guerrilla Typhoon focused?

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #973 on: October 14, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
TAS'ed a Yukari's Last Word,  unfocused. Now, IMMA PRACTICING W/O TAS

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #974 on: October 14, 2009, 04:38:06 AM »
But what of the star attack? The infamous "fuck you" storm that is supposedly impossible? After state reloading over and over again, I died to this attack time and time again. It truly seemed impossible. Then out of boredom I tried lollygagging around the sides of and above Mima and noticed that, logically, this fires the clusterfuck in a different direction.

And then it hit me.

The way to dodge the star attack is to dash to the side of Mima (a little below that is fine too). As soon as it begins firing, fly down; Reimu B is just fast enough to outrun it if you time it perfectly. This brings you completely outside of the attack, leaving only the aimed stars to deal with. This just leaves simple streaming to dodge the remaining attacks. When I first discovered this I thought it only a novelty because there's no way you could predict it.

And now you can.

* Donut folds arms in triumph.
You're... ehh... a few months too slow on that as well. I already said the stars were aimed at your initial position. Misdirecting it to the side is one way (or above...). The other is to misdirect it straight down, and move up the screen to dodge.

However, it never occurred to me that the attacks repeat in a cycle. This requires some further investigation. Guess it's time to start using states to learn the games inside-out.

tl;dr you're months behind me in knowledge of PC-98 'nut  :V
However, your knowledge for everything else save for UFO and PoFV is beyond me.

Does anyone here also do Guerrilla Typhoon focused?
\o

As for me, I've been lazing around trying to work out a more efficient method of doing "Catwalk".
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2009, 04:43:35 AM »
;_; Screw you Baity, this is the discovery of the century. And besides, you worded it way too vaguely. I remembered you talking about a way to dodge it, but I misinterpreted it.

Besides, who did everything first, HMM? :>

And putting my newfound knowledge into practice on a GOOD emulator, I beat Mima with only one death. :V Easiest final boss ever amirite?

Oh, and after playing Donpachi, I notice a ton of similarities between that and SoEW: There's no focus, you have an unusually large hitbox, and both are shit throw in the same cheap difficulty enhancer on lunatic/second loop via making all the enemies fire bullets at you when they die.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:48:25 AM by nintendonut888 »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2009, 05:06:59 AM »
;_; Screw you Baity, this is the discovery of the century. And besides, you worded it way too vaguely. I remembered you talking about a way to dodge it, but I misinterpreted it.

Besides, who did everything first, HMM? :>
You misinterpret a lot of things.

Also, you haven't done "everything" yet.

And putting my newfound knowledge into practice on a GOOD emulator, I beat Mima with only one death. :V Easiest final boss ever amirite?
SA has that one. Either that, or yeah, probably SoEW. But that's because Lunatic = Hard essentially.
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2009, 05:08:52 AM »
Utsuho is much harder than Mima, simply because of her three attacks between her first and third non-spells.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #978 on: October 14, 2009, 05:11:22 AM »
Utsuho is much harder than Mima, simply because of her three attacks between her first and third non-spells.
First SC hasn't changed difficulty too much. Second SC is still only moderate in difficulty for me. Both SCs can cheap out on you though.
Second non-spell is easy if you know the cheap-spots  :V

Other than that, it's quite a bastard of an attack.

Also, we're approaching the end of this thread too.
<>

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #979 on: October 14, 2009, 06:09:26 AM »
Okay, I know after all you've done, both of you deserve it, but please it just looks silly when you turn your consentual waste of hours perfecting hard games like the masochists you are into a contest, claiming techniques and knowledge like Monopoly property.

Let the man bask in his discovery just like you did when you first figured it out. Just because he's cOLD'd doesn't mean he should just sit in the corner about it.

I continue spammed my way through SA Lunatic frequently using a youtube vid to guide me, and I STILL feel damn good about that accomplishment, so yeah, I may be wrong on this, or not have the right.

nintendonut888

« Reply #980 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:25 AM »
Wait you're taking this seriously? :V We all help each other, it's not like it's a contest of big tough men beating chests.

Spoiler:
But I'm better.

Also, I finally captured Murasa's third non-spell. Geez that attack is a nightmare to read even if it is static.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #981 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
We all help each other, it's not like it's a contest of big tough men beating chests.
This.

* Baity ignores spoilers
After all there's still this to come. 3rd week is upon us soon.

In other news, I somehow managed to get yet another 1DNB SA S5 Lunatic. I've also worked out what I'm doing wrong on "Catwalk", but my reflexes are making me screw it up. Nice to know isn't it?
<>

Bananamatic

« Reply #982 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
UFO extra no deaths :V
Probably one of the easier ones thanks to the bomb supply, my first no death extra too.
Failed Blue UFO, Undefined Darkness(lured her to the middle because it was too dense) and Yorimasa Genzanmi, rest captured. :V

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #983 on: October 14, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »
Messed around in UFO Extra. Found out a few interesting yet useless pattern observations (unless you're into scoring, even then there's a high chance that I'm not the first one to discover these things). Blue UFOs is still pressuring me at ~20 second left on the clock for a timeout, that will definitely need some work  :V

Though, I did get a "KKS"UFO S3 SC2 timeout. I'd almost call it a fluke. Almost. I think the mass SA S5 grinding actually paid off though. I also found out during one of my test runs a few "semi-blind" spots during certain SCs. This will have to get further checking before I confirm it as a viable method though. What SC is it? It's a secret.

Oh, and a "Catwalk" History of 8/48. Though I estimate 30%, I didn't factor in reaction-based factors e.g. panic-dodging. Yes, every time I capture it will be an accomplishment, until I can do it consistently enough. Because it's the arguably hardest Spell Card ever.
<>

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #984 on: October 14, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »
...I reached Reisen. As Youmu. On a no focus run. Of Normal mode. I also captured Stardust Reverie and Keine's last spell.

What.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #985 on: October 14, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
That was equal parts difficult, terrifying and incredibly fun. I bombspammed my way through Subterranean Rose, but still. SA Extra No Focus clear! Hell yeah.

Capped Nine Syllable Stabs, Miracle Fruit, Ancestors, Danmaku Paranoia, Superego and Embers of Love. Most of her cards seem very precision based, so I had a lot of difficulty with most of them without focus... Rorschach in particular; that basically ended up as bombspam, too. :V Still very pleased with this, though, didn't think I'd actually be able to pull it off until a few hours ago. That makes six seven Extras no focus cleared
Spoiler:
lol SoEW
, which just leaves LLS, MS and UFO. To be honest, I think SA was probably the most difficult one, pretty confident I can manage the others now. :V
Let's fight.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #986 on: October 15, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
Second try of MS Lunatic that went places(as in, not stage 1 restarts) got to:

Perfect up until Alice, where her first phase killed me due to LOLFASTSPAM. Perfected the rest of Alice though, so yeah. Stage 4 was messy, and Stage 5 seemed like Stage 5, but harder. =V

Oh, and I oddly seem to be able to change directions with more success on Yumeko's aimed kunai streams-lasers attack. =V Doesn't mean I didn't die horribly though.

« Reply #987 on: October 15, 2009, 03:07:57 AM »
Got through about a third of Koishi before failing during a pacifist run. Pretty proud of it, I guess. Might try to clear the whole Extra Stage later on if I have the time. Tried a few tricks needlessly just to make the replay less boring :V

EDIT: Also, no border abuse yay~! 'Cause teleportation is for wussies!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:11:44 AM by Naut »

theshirn

« Reply #988 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »

Finally.

5 deaths, 11 bombs.  Amazingly, I only used two bombs on cheeto lasers and only a single one on the eighth phase (I have no idea why I didn't die).  My last bomb went off as she cleared, so the dialogue had a giant Mima in the background, and I just said "No, screw it, I don't care if you're dead, bomb anyway".

HAAAAA...

So...all Extras clear except PoFV and SoEW, only because I have yet to unlock either.  And honestly don't really care to.

ebarrett

« Reply #989 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:48 AM »
PoDD lunatic. I just magically* went from struggling to get past stage 2 to getting reliably to stage 7, in less than half a dozen tries. Of course, knowing how these Phantasmagoria games work, getting to stage 7 means jack shit, but still. At least now I know what I'm supposed to do... I think.

Also, do I keep gaining lives every 10 million points indefinitely, or is there a limit?

* magically = by playing Yumemi, of course  :V