Author Topic: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - Less than a week till release  (Read 193615 times)

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
Re: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - X and Y versions announcement
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2013, 05:11:52 AM »
Let me know when they have life size Pokemon battles in 3d holograms  :V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »
Not everyone owns an entire city block to play life-size Pokemon in
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:03 AM »
I'm honestly surprised to see news of a new generation so soon. 3 years instead of 4, even less for those of us outside Japan. Never mind that I don't own a 3DS and currently have no interest in getting one, I haven't even played the Gen 5 sequels yet. Though I did wait until Gen 5 to play Heartgold, so this wouldn't be the first time either.

First impressions about the starters? I like them. The legendaries? Eh, not sure. Am I the only one who has trouble seeing the "X" in Xerneas' design?

And I approve of the rollerskating.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
First impressions about the starters? I like them. The legendaries? Eh, not sure. Am I the only one who has trouble seeing the "X" in Xerneas' design?
I forgave its design when I realized it has an 'X' inside the eye.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
Still, they gave a Stadium feel to the game while making it a main adventure, so I can't wait to see that.
Considering I hated Stadium / Colosseum / XD / PBR, I'm mostly waiting for the games to make that horrible taste in my mouth go away (or not, uuugh)

I also can't wait to see them do another wonderful plot like they pulled off in Gen V. That was easily my favorite part of Gen V, having a good story instead of "you happen to run into another organized crime gang, go beat them up to save the universe."
Honestly, this game has such good plot!! in a main Pokemon game is kind of silly when the focus should be gameplay, but whatever, Nintendo. They should leave investment in story to PMD which does it so well already.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
They went and cut PMD though. The fact that there only about 100ish Pok?mon instead of like 500 is enough to prove that...

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I haven't actually played it (isn't translated yet + don't have a 3DS). Is the game length shorter too?

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
I also can't wait to see them do another wonderful plot like they pulled off in Gen V. That was easily my favorite part of Gen V, having a good story instead of "you happen to run into another organized crime gang, go beat them up to save the universe."

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
I haven't actually played it (isn't translated yet + don't have a 3DS). Is the game length shorter too?

I don't know, but you have to pay for a lot of the dungeons. Like, I mean pay REAL $$$. I just hope that you can get most of the updates for free when it comes out in the US.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
I could care so much more about the dungeons. If it has a moderately sized story like it always does I'm game. I'm an unbelievable sap for the PMD sub-franchise ever since childhood.

danna45

• Ponytail Fetishist
  • It's only Ice Carz
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
Ugh, with this announced, I'm slightly less certain about choosing to buy a Vita instead of a 3DS. I mean, the Vita has Persona 4 Golden, and is the only reason why I'm thinking about getting the thing in the first place, but now I don't know which one to get first...

My wallet still cries either way.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
Vita's library is kind of non-existent on the US front, so you're probably better off with a 3DS.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
As a day-one owner and diehard fan of the Vita, get a 3ds XL if you must make the choice.  It is not a console that is going to survive in the States.

Alchemist

• Potions! Acid Bombs! Mutated Plant Monsters! SCIENCE!
  • I'm Esi's Jen. <3 Esifex
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
I found Fennekin's evolved form... :derp:

ZOMG nooooooo

Anyway, I am sad about no more sprites. I love sprites! They're pretty and have their own unique look and they age a lot better than 3D graphics. I have the original Black, but I never really played it - I just lost interest in it after 1 or 2 badges. Anyway, after the announcement I kind of went "last sprite pokemon game? omfg!" and went and kinda-impulse-bought White 2. This was probably intended by Nintendo. Anyway, playing it now!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:28:50 AM by AlchemistReborn »

Teewee

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
The new games look great,but am I the only one who thinks the whole "we'll release it worldwide at the same time gaiz!" thing is because the 3ds could use that huge a sales boost? What with the rocky start, and such.

Edible

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
The new games look great,but am I the only one who thinks the whole "we'll release it worldwide at the same time gaiz!" thing is because the 3ds could use that huge a sales boost? What with the rocky start, and such.

I think it's more due to fan reaction than anything else, because the 3DS is officially way out of "rocky start" territory and has been for a while.  It's been selling extremely well.

Teewee

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
Oh, I never knew that. Thanks for clearing that up :) Also, I think it's likely that froakie's evolutions will be either water/poison or (as has been mentioned earlier) water/psychic. Poison since some frogs are poisonous.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »
ZOMG nooooooo

Anyway, I am sad about no more sprites. I love sprites! They're pretty and have their own unique look and they age a lot better than 3D graphics. I have the original Black, but I never really played it - I just lost interest in it after 1 or 2 badges. Anyway, after the announcement I kind of went "last sprite pokemon game? omfg!" and went and kinda-impulse-bought White 2. This was probably intended by Nintendo. Anyway, playing it now!

...there's a signature in the bottom left.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:39 AM »
I just thought of something, I heard that 3DS allows patching for games. So I was thinking that maybe GameFreak can try to balance Pokemon(a difficult feat to accomplish due to 700+ Pokemon) with patching. They have tried to slowly improve some of the weaker Pokemon throughout the Gens, some Pokemon became better due to hidden abilities in Gen 5 and Earthquake got extra counters with Levitate, Balloon and Magnet Rise. They have also buffed up some moves like Bullet Seed and Drain Punch. Maybe they were too scared to mess with Base Stats unless the Pokemon gets a new form, like Rotom. Now that the new platform can patch, they can change the base stats of Pokemon over time so they can eventually stop tiers from existing. Or at least have Ubers and non-Ubers

Or maybe I'm just being to optimistic hoping I can use my favorite Pokemon without having to worry about them being too weak to begin with.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
Someone smart told me in games with characters with differences as vast and varied as Pokemon (alebit Smash Brothers was the subject here) getting rid of tiers is simply an impossible task.

There's always going to be Mons that are just plain better. The ones with high speed and power (such as most dragons) are the best examples.
Certain typings are also far superior to others. There isn't going to be a better defensive wall then Skarmory or Bronzong anytime soon because almost nothing can actually hit them for decent damage. (I'm not a metagame expert don't quote me on that)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:39:15 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Just blast Skarmory away with thunderbolts he can't live through them forever.

Besides Feroseed or whatever it's called is the gen 5 steel wall of choice IIRC.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
Yay, a new pokemon game~

The whole 3D thing instead of sprites made me go through an awkward explosion of emotions. I'm still not sure whether I'm happy for the 3d graphics or dead inside because I also loved the old ones. It's one of the first portable pokemon game where it's in 3D though.

I really like the starters, and to be honest? I also like the legendaries, especially the deer. I couldn't care less of the quartet, I'll take a deer over yet ANOTHER big dragon.

Still wondering whether I pick Water-type because I'm a die-hard water starter, or the fire one because GODDAMN IT'S SO CUUUTE.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
There's always going to be Mons that are just plain better. The ones with high speed and power (such as most dragons) are the best examples.
Certain typings are also far superior to others. There isn't going to be a better defensive wall then Skarmory or Bronzong anytime soon because almost nothing can actually hit them for decent damage. (I'm not a metagame expert don't quote me on that)

the premier defensive pokemon is ferrothorn tyvm

i should also say that tiers are based on usage
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:31:14 PM by anghel-hime »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
If you're referring to Smogon's tiers, yes they're based on usage. However, their whole system works under the assumption that players will more frequently use Pokemon that get them success in matches, which they then determine to be the "good" Pokemon. Suspect testing is a bit different since it delves more into theory to argue why a Pokemon is too good for its current tier, or why a strategy is detrimental to the current metagame, but that's about it on that front.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Were finally 3D pokemanz  :3 Maybe in another 13 years we can have a full on Pokemon MMORPG that actively patches in new pokemon on a new island  :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
I've held that position for a long time too. It would seem like a mistake not to make a Pokemon MMO at some point in the franchise's history. Though I have to wonder how much they'd be willing to change the gameplay to suit a fully online game.

Edible

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
I've held that position for a long time too. It would seem like a mistake not to make a Pokemon MMO at some point in the franchise's history. Though I have to wonder how much they'd be willing to change the gameplay to suit a fully online game.

If there is one company in the world I would believe could screw up a pokemon MMO, it would be Nintendo.

Their ability to do anything online-related poorly is astounding.

GunnerReisen

• Sister-Complex Kingpin of Steel
  • /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
I want that Fennekins. I've been waiting for a true fennec fox Pokemon. I'm tired of Eevee. ; -;

And go away Fennbey I don't wanna make a contract. D:
The Fool: Idea, thought, spirituality, that which endeavours to rise above the material

Sagitta luminis