Author Topic: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - Less than a week till release  (Read 193466 times)

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - X and Y versions announcement
« Reply #570 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Well fuck :|

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #571 on: September 26, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
Sooooo this comes out in a little over two weeks. <_<

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
Doublade can learn Sacred Sword.

No-one was surprised ever. [In fact, we can probobly guess it's movepool pretty accurately, except for new moves.]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #573 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
Sooooo this comes out in a little over two weeks. <_<
oh fuck

aaaaa my body is not ready i dont even know which version i want :ohdear:

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #574 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
Eh I'm waitin for the January sales. At which time I will pick myself up a 3DS as well.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Edible

« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
oh fuck

aaaaa my body is not ready i dont even know which version i want :ohdear:

I'm so used to picking based on available monsters, I don't even know how to pick now :(

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
I'm so used to picking based on available monsters, I don't even know how to pick now :(
  • Male
  • Female

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #577 on: September 26, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »

My choice is pretty easy. While I'm more inclined to want the version exclusives for Y so far (Spritzee/Shushup or whatever the hell it's called, Mega Mewtwo Y, etc), my brother wants Y because he likes Yveltal more than Xerneas. I don't really care much about legendaries, so I'll let him have that, while I get X. That way we can still get everything we want-- and I'm sure there will be version exclusive legendaries released as event pokemon anyway, so yeah, s'all good with me.

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #578 on: September 27, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »
Just so you guys know, when I get X/Y, I'm going to do a No-Fairy Type run. Wish me luck.
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #579 on: September 27, 2013, 04:32:06 AM »
...why, though? It's the first new type we've had since Gen 2, so I'm super-excited to try it out. :O

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #580 on: September 27, 2013, 04:35:28 AM »
Because I just don't like them. I feel that their only purpose is to nerf Dragon Types.
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

Edible

« Reply #581 on: September 27, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
I'm a sucker for cut?mon so my team will probably be all fairies :ohdear:

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #582 on: September 27, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
Because I just don't like them. I feel that their only purpose is to nerf Dragon Types.
I fail to see why this is a bad thing.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #583 on: September 27, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »

You mean 'help in rebalancing the game so dragons aren't always at the top of every list and therefore be an overall improvement to the metagame?'

Dragons have always been overrated and this a much-needed nerf for them.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

Pick one. It's hard to be over-rated when you are the strongest and need to be nerfed.

Also, Gen 1 called. It wants STAB-less Dragon back from it's era of suck. Dragons were not ALWAYS overrated. They sucked in Gen 1.

I'm OK with new types. What I'm not OK with is the type's relations not making sense, and clearly being a balance plaster. I've went through this before. Fairy being immune to dragon makes no sense. Fairy being resistant to bug makes no sense either, with their nature links. A lack of grass resistance is strange too, as with a fire weakness.

The fairy type, theme-wise, could have been so much more than it is. But look at the pokemon getting 'fairy' slapped on, like Gardevoir and Mega Mawile [Seriously how on earth is that thing a Fairy, never-mind Steel/Fairy being thematically opposites, Fairies being nature spirits in most lore, and Steel being man-made...], and the type relations of fairy, and it's clear Gamefreak just used it as a balance plaster. Some of it makes sense, like the relations with Fighting and Dark, but a lot of it is... ew.

The balance plasters of Gen 2, Dark and Steel, were honestly done thematically a lot better than Fairy, with the possible exception of Fighting being strong on Dark. [Bug makes sense, Bugs live in dark places] The only line that gained the Steel type made sense too [Magnemite]

From a balance standpoint, I'm fine with Fairy. I'm fine with what Gamefreak are trying to do.

It's the thematic standpoint that irks me.

I guess I can sympathise with both Fairy-lovers and Fairy-haters. I half love half hate Fairy.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:06:47 PM by Raikaria »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #585 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
There were only three Dragons in Gen 1. Two of them were not-fully-evolved. There was only one Dragon move, and it dealt fixed damage. That doesn't change the fact that Dragonite is easily one of the strongest Pokemon in the entire game and had plenty of resistances that still kept it from sucking in that aspect as well.

It's not a matter of having to pick one or the other, unless you somehow want to try to explain how they've always been overpowered since the start .

And as far as thematic goes, I don't really care. I'd rather have a more balanced metagame where everyone and their dog aren't using the same overused Dragon types in competitive battles. Or at least making them actually weak to more types so they can be countered by something that isn't just Ice or Dragon.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #586 on: September 27, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
ITT Fairy-type haters being bitter

when the everloving fuck has Pokemon ever made sense

seriously guys.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #587 on: September 27, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
uh if they're overrated doesn't that mean they don't need a nerf? :derp:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #588 on: September 27, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
uh if they're overrated doesn't that mean they don't need a nerf? :derp:

well they are popular as fuck, which I think is the main point Matsy's making here

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #589 on: September 27, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
That's quite precisely what I'm saying. I suppose 'overused' is also appropriate but we can either argue semantics or the actual point here <_<;

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #590 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »
You do know that the term "fairy" is pretty much the equivalent to "youkai" for europe, right? It's a blanket term for a ton of beings, from gnomes and elves to dulahans to nuckelavees. It makes complete sense for something like Mawile to be a fairy type. 'sides, Steel is hardly composed only of man-made creatures; see Steelix, Scizor, Aaron line, Skarmory...
aaand we have had pokemon that have opposite types before, like Chinchou.

And hey. Flying is super-effective on Fighting. Ground and Psychic are super-effective on Poison. Ghost is super-effective against itself. Lots of resistance and effectiveness make no thematic sense.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:11:55 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #591 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
I always thought the Dragon-types were hyped on purpose. Because, you know, they're dragons. I think this upcoming gen is just full of "fixing the game!!" notions by gamefreak which I'm... honestly neutral to.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #592 on: September 27, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Fairy type makes sense just fine.

Fairies are mythical tricksters that live in nature. Because they are tricksters, they fuck up brute force types like fighting and dark, and because they are mythical they fuck up dragons, which is the same reason that dragons fuck up dragons. Because they are from nature, they get fucked up by things that fuck up nature, i.e. steel, poison, and fire. The bug resist is the only one that doesn't make sense since it's inconsistent with grass.

Do you have a better idea for a new type that dragons could be weak to?

Personally, I'm ecstatic about poison getting an indirect buff. I've always loved poison Pokemon but it's just such a shitty type D:

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #593 on: September 27, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
You do know that the term "fairy" is pretty much the equivalent to "youkai" for europe, right? It's a blanket term for a ton of beings, from gnomes and elves to dulahans to nuckelavees. It makes complete sense for something like Mawile to be a fairy type. 'sides, Steel is hardly composed only of man-made creatures; see Steelix, Scizor, Aaron line, Skarmory...
aaand we have had pokemon that have opposite types before, like Chinchou.

And hey. Flying is super-effective on Fighting. Ground and Psychic are super-effective on Poison. Ghost is super-effective against itself. Lots of resistance and effectiveness make no thematic sense.

Flying > Fighting makes sense. Have you ever tried to punch a bird? Speed over power.
Landfill explains Ground > Poison. People come up with ways to minimise waste as well, which is I presume the logic of Psychic > Poison.
Ghost on Ghost? Feels like a 'magic must defeat magic' thing. Shadows overlap and consume each other.

Makes more sense than 'Fairy isn't resistant to grass despite that usually being associated with nature'.

I dunno, maybe it's a localisation issue. I'm not sure exactly what the Japanese call a 'Fairy'. I only know ZUN-Fairies, which are, indeed, Nature Spirits.

And fairies are mythical like dragons. I don't see mythical nature being a reason why one is outright immune to the other. I may be able to stomach a resistance without complaining, but IMMUNITY makes no sense at all.

And Chincho indeed is made of opposite types. But it makes sense. It's an angler fish. It has a light on it's head. How is Mawile a fairy? Why do you think we've not had Fighting/Flying? Because nothing fits it and it doesn't make sense.

Although I forgot steel also attributed to 'Mettalic in nature'. When I think of 'Steel type' I think of things like Klink and Magnemite.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:34:08 PM by Raikaria »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #594 on: September 27, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
I always thought the Dragon-types were hyped on purpose. Because, you know, they're dragons. I think this upcoming gen is just full of "fixing the game!!" notions by gamefreak which I'm... honestly neutral to.

I never did like the notion of dragons always being so strong. After all, in fairy tales, the dragon is often slain by a knight or prince who is much, much smaller in comparison. Must not be that amazing if the little people generally win in the end. :V

But seriously I don't see why people are getting so upset. I for one am pretty tired of dragons dominating the competitive scene. It gets kinda boring. The existence of the Fairy type as a nerf and indirect buff to other classes brings dragons down to everyone else's level instead of them always being on a pedestal.

Unless, you know, you want to keep having to see Dragonite/Salamence/Hydreigon/Haxorus/Garchomp/Flygon in every blasted battle ever. This keeps them on their toes.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #595 on: September 27, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
I'm happy with the nerf.

I just wish it made more thematic sense, and didn't feel so shoehorned, not just with LOL DRAGON IMMUNE FOR NO THEMATIC REASON, with with little other things, like the Poison relation clearly pushing the 'Nature Spirit' angle, as well as Fairy moves being NVE on Fire... but it's not weak to Fire because Fire is already a very strong offensive type and dosen't need more.

Like Grass is a weak offense type, so although a Grass Resist would make perfect sense, it dosen't have one.

And U-Turn spam, so it resists bug, despite me thinking the opposite makes sense, because bugs consume nature.

Especially since Gamefreak are rebalanceing types and changing the chart anyway. Why not make Ice resist Dragon, for example? Or hell, Fire could be a good Dragon resist, and we all know defensive fire and ice types need help. There are other answers than just throwing a random new type in with a senseless outright immunity.

In fact, I'd probobly have slightly less beef with 'Fairy' if it was called 'Mythic' or 'Lunar' [Since moon-based moves seem to be retconned into Fairy, and Dragons are lizards, therefor Cold-Blooded and less active at night. Hell, their nuke move is called MOONBLAST], because then it would be less... random feeling, and wouldn't feel like having the 'Nature Spirit' associations.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:45:14 PM by Raikaria »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #596 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
See, you can find explanations to every typing match if you just use enough mental gymnastics. For instance, one can simply say that Fairy isn't resistant to grass because the fairies of old aren't , necessarily, related to nature; they are supernatural tricksters that are more focused on screwing with humans than anything else.

Also, while I suppose it makes sense for Poison to be super-effective against Ground because of land pollution... why isn't it super-effective against Water too then? Or against Flying? We do have water and air pollution, after all.

Mawile's main body fits perfectly, appearance wise, with the fairy motif the seem to have going. It's small and cute. That's pretty much it.

'Sides, really got to laugh at "how is Mawile a fairy?" considering that creatures like this are also fairies (again, it's a blanket term very similar to "youkai")
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:59:06 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #597 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
It may be worth noting that in fairy tales, the knight that kills the dragon rarely, if ever dies, since he's protected by plot armor (and thus immune)-- it wouldn't be a happy ending if he died, after all.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #598 on: September 27, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
How is Mawile a fairy?

My understanding is that Mawile is based on a youkai (the one with the mouth on the back of its head) crossed with a beartrap. "Mythological trickster creature"+"manmade thing made out of metal" defines Steel/Fairy perfectly.

Why do you think we've not had Fighting/Flying? Because nothing fits it and it doesn't make sense.

Wasn't PC98 Reimu a Fighting/Flying in Touhoumon? :derp:

Fighting/Flying could totally happen. Every generation it doesn't happen is a little surprising. Same with Fire/Water and Fire/Grass.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #599 on: September 27, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
My understanding is that Mawile is based on a youkai (the one with the mouth on the back of its head) crossed with a beartrap. "Mythological trickster creature"+"manmade thing made out of metal" defines Steel/Fairy perfectly.
Oh, true, the futakuchi onna. That's a way better explanation!
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.