Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 8F  (Read 235645 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 8F
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Just discovered that pressing right or Z and S together on the SP menu will instantly add all of your points into it.  Quite handy for those characters you never use who have 50+ levels waiting to be added.

On another note, when does 30F become worthwhile for grinding?  With my Reimu at 451, 30F is only giving me about 60% the exp rate and 22.5% the SP rate of 27F, not counting items (which I've yet to see one of from 30F)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:23:09 PM by HououinKyouma »

Zil

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
It's hard to say really. The items are an important thing. Also you should run from the crappy opponents and only fight the one's who die quickly or give good items.
Spoiler:
Mokou
is a waste of time, for example.
Spoiler:
Okuu
is excellent.
Spoiler:
Alice
is another one I always ignored.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
Just discovered that pressing right or Z and S together on the SP menu will instantly add all of your points into it.  Quite handy for those characters you never use who have 50+ levels waiting to be added.

You serious? I could have added alllllllll those level bonuses like that? ....... :colonveeplusalpha:

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
How soon 30F becomes good for grinding depends on the strategy you're using for the fights. I personally used Yukari/Iku/Kaguya/Nitori setup so Iku went first, then Nitori, then Kaguya, then Yukari, and basically Nitori gets so many superbuffed Megawatts in because of their extra turn granters that she utterly annihilates almost anything (Alice/Yuyuko/Mokou can be problematic, for example.)

I figured that Nitori was so overpowered, and Iku's buff is so strong, that taking advantage of both of these and then giving Nitori like 5 turns in a row is best strat. It worked awesomely for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:52:17 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Tangrelle

• This is my book! It's still all weird though.
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »
Well, in the end, I...completely scrapped that team! Aren't I special?  :3

On the bright side, the new one I threw together has made it past the first floor! So I am not doing terribly. It's:

Meiling/Reimu/Iku/Renko/Sanae/Rumia/Nitori/Kanako/Yuuka/Yuugi/Suika/Kaguya

The team is a tad low on defense buffs, but that should get a bit better once Reimu and Sanae's SP gets moving. i really like Sanae, and I figured she and Rumia would sort of exchange roles as the game goes on. Sanae from healer to buffer, and Rumia from nuker to healer. I also love the oni in general, and Kaguya and Renko's buffs should get me by in the early game too. I just find Renko's incredibly interesting, and want to find scenarios where using it is applicable and safe.

EDIT: Yay! I got a Para Resistance Ring from one of those moths you have to beat for Wriggle! I think those are rare and now Iku can buff someone else safely so it's great <3
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:08:33 AM by Tangrelle »

Zil

« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »
If your intention is to use the best team you can, I would really reconsider using Rumia.

And yeah Renko's going to be useful since she's kinda broken really.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:51 AM »
Rumia is really questionable until around the end of the main portion of the game, where her heal starts getting usable. I tried using her for the whole maingame in my third playthrough, using Special Disk, and... yeah. I just had to drop her, she was really bad. I picked her back up as I started grinding up to face Plus Disk though, because her heal is great for Plus, and I never regretted it.

Renko is indeed broken for maingame. The opponents just don't have the PAR and debuff resistance to deal with her. She still has massive SP cost to help counterbalance somewhat, I suppose...
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Tangrelle

« Reply #127 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
I suppose! I mean, truthfully, for the most part on a whole I just like her moonlight ray damage, which is pretty high for a pleasantly small cost, I think. So she's mostly a nuke that can also conveniently clear multiple debuffs for me. Maybe I could switch her for someone else if the damage really isn't as good as I believe, I guess.

« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »
So, i finished the game. Now going to new game+ but i'm having trouble picking teams... so any suggestions? i will save 2 spots for remi and sakuya so someone pick the rest

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »
I suppose! I mean, truthfully, for the most part on a whole I just like her moonlight ray damage, which is pretty high for a pleasantly small cost, I think. So she's mostly a nuke that can also conveniently clear multiple debuffs for me. Maybe I could switch her for someone else if the damage really isn't as good as I believe, I guess.
It's really high... for a little while. As you start getting into the part of the game that isn't pretty easy anymore, Rumia's Moonlight Ray damage isn't as exciting anymore, and it becomes more apparent in random battles that single targets are generally boring, while her multi-target becomes pathetically weak aside from the handful of low-hp-massive-def/mnd monsters. Removing debuffs is also pretty unhelpful, as it's generally way easier to rebuff instead of removing the debuff.

Plus, because of Marisa's Master Spark likely, a lot of bosses in the main game have mystic resistance, rendering Rumia nigh-useless until her heal kicks in as usable (Which isn't until near the final boss of the main portion of the game)

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
EDIT: Yay! I got a Para Resistance Ring from one of those moths you have to beat for Wriggle! I think those are rare and now Iku can buff someone else safely so it's great <3

Honestly, I don't think it's gonna help that much. It only adds 20 resistance and even my 30-45 resistance Nitori or my 54 resistance Youmu occasionally get PAR'd.

Tangrelle

« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
Oh. Well, 30 resist is better than 10!

As for the case of Rumia, if that is truly the case then I should look for a replacement in the meantime! I'll have to think about it, however, because I've got nearly all my bases covered. Maybe someone with Defense buffs, or Tenshi? I love Tenshi, but I fear Meiling outclasses her.

Either that or maybe someone like Rinnosuke. His buff hits defenses, right? Or any character, really. It's too hard for me to decide and just pick one ^^;;;;
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:48:00 PM by Tangrelle »

« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
my 54 resistance Youmu occasionally gets PAR'd.
...wait, what? Isn't PAR (along with SIL and PSN) calculated as a (100 - [PAR resistance]*3) % chance? I used Iku's buff extensively throughout my latest playthrough, and I'm fairly certain I never saw any of my characters with more than 34 PAR resist get hit by its PAR effect.

EDIT: missed a fairly important *3 in the formula
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:31:12 PM by yoshicookiezeus »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #133 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
Yeahhhh, definitely impossible to get hit by the PAR of anything other then WINNER's Time Stop if you've got at least 34 PAR resist, and with 33 you'd only have a 1% chance to be hit.

aaand off to be dragged to family events
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:05:21 PM by Serela »

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 04:51:17 AM »
Strange, pretty sure I got PAR'd. Either that or I was messing with equips and didn't notice.

Rinnosuke's buff hits all stats, but it's a one time use. After using it, he'll ditch the party after the battle. As for defense buffs, Reimu and Yukari are more than enough.

EDIT: Derp. I realized I was using a 3x Gurthang Youmu (20 PAR) rather than my standard Gurthang, Rhododendron Dress, Immortal School Badge (54 PAR) Youmu.  :V
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:00:34 AM by Sukusuku Keine »

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
I am seriously considering attempting that Nuzlocke run that someone mentioned way back in the last topic, only doing it with all the characters unlocked from the get-go with NG+ just so I have variety of choice, since I kinda want to see if Renko is truly as broken in the main game as is claimed to be.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
I am seriously considering attempting that Nuzlocke run that someone mentioned way back in the last topic, only doing it with all the characters unlocked from the get-go with NG+ just so I have variety of choice, since I kinda want to see if Renko is truly as broken in the main game as is claimed to be.

Sorry but I've been away for awhile, but what's a nuzlocke run? I'd look but these threads are pretty massive soo...

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
Nuzlocke run is a term coined by the Pokemon community who seek masochism by imposing a very specific self-imposed challenge upon themselves, in this case when a Pokemon faints it is considered "dead" and must be released or placed in the last PC box.

I felt like the challenge was semi-transferable to this game by just not using a character ever again should they ever fall in battle, although you can probably go for double the masochism by never using a character again if they leave through TP reaching 0, although I wouldn't do that because it would drive me utterly batshit.

And Yuugi seems like a spot where you're virtually guaranteed to lose a couple due to Knockout in Three Steps being enough to kill anyone two to three times over.

And Nuzlocke'ing the Plus Disk would also be hard due to Shikieiki and Last Judgement being basically an insta-kill on anyone not named Komachi.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:33:22 PM by GamingAwesome1 »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Yuugi is an optional battle so there's no problem there. Just come back to get her when you're well overlevelled.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
Yuugi is an optional battle so there's no problem there. Just come back to get her when you're well overlevelled.

...I actually hadn't considered that.

I feel rather stupid now. But still, sound advice for a Nuzlocke run, where the name of the game is overlevelling all the waaay.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »
yeah that doesn't sound like fun. I'd rather enjoy a good challenge such as lower levels with some game overs than one where I'm overlevel.

BTW, I'm not a brony, but I've seen a few episodes just to see what all the hullabaloo was...but yeah, fluttershy <3.

Parallaxal

• Moon Sign "Theft of Dreams"
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2012, 04:19:23 AM »
Nuzlocke challenge just doesn't sound that fun in this game. There's so many random encounters that can easily OHKO someone. I like level up just enough so that bosses are still a challenge, but the amount of extra grinding you'd have to do to play it safe is too much even for me.

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2012, 04:32:28 AM »
I don't think Nuzlocke Challenge is possible in this type of game. It is way too easy to die and once you get to floor 20+ it gets even easier to lose a character or two.

Zil

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »
You'd have to over-level on wimps until you're sure you can progress with no casualties. I assume that's how it works in Pokemon as well though, so if someone likes to Nuzlocke, this game would work as well as any other. The whole idea is ridiculous in my opinion.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
Bleh, good point.

I thought it might've been interesting to try and force some character diversity and unconventional teams along the way but in reality it'd probably just be "grind grind grind are you grinding yet?"

draganuv15

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
Well fuck.
Having problems with CE again (should I run LoT 3.0 or 3.01 for this cheat engine?)

All it shows are the question marks even when I select the game.
*why is it always me that fucks up T-T*

Tangrelle

« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2012, 12:35:23 AM »
So I figured while I was cheesing my way through one file with Renko (Galaxy Stop makes Alice surprisingly easy <3) I'd try out another team with...a theme, of sorts <3 All the characters on this team are tanky (And/or incredibly inhibited by SP costs but whatever <3), so this should be fun!

Meiling, Remilia, Minoriko, Yuugi, Iku, Ran, Eirin, Mokou, Yuyuko, Kanako, Yuuka, and, uh, Alice!

I think it should be fun to work with such a team, although maybe not! I really feel like sentencing myself to death with Eirin but I truly want to see how (in?)capable she really is! some other choices didn't particularly make it, either. I had to drop Suika in favor of Alice for Alice's debuffs, and Yuuka replaced someone else because the initial team had no Nature damage.

Let's see how this will end up, too <3

Also, does using Death to kill bosses inhibit the item drop rate? I feel like it does, but it might be me being paranoid.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2012, 12:50:42 AM »
I doubt it affects the drop rate, but after the first few floors they become immune to death.

Also, you probably really, REALLY want Reimu. Her two support spells are just insanely helpful, and until late in the game, no one else can duplicate their effects sufficiently (And even then they don't do it as well as Reimu at all, nor on one character). She's also fairly tankish in her own right after she gets to grow some.

Tangrelle

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »
Hum. I suppose so! Making room for characters is kind of hard, however, so I'm not sure how I'd fit her, sadly!

I think I'll keep at it for a while with this team and see if there's a point where I say to myself 'Man, i really wish I had Reimu right now!'

In the meantime, I suppose  this is supposed to be semi challenging, so I may have to make do! Minoriko will just be...strained for a while! Maybe I'll have to put a number of skill points in her speed, too. Hum.

On the hopeful side, everyone should be taking relatively low, or at least manageable numbers so it should be fine. Ish. Oh well <3

EDIT: Well, looking around, I suppose I could drop Alice, but then the lack of a Mind debuff makes me uneasy. Would it be worth it in exchange for Reimu?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:18:12 AM by Tangrelle »

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
No love for Shikieiki? She damages, ignores defense, sweeps, debuffs and does status effects including Death.
Spoiler:
Ridiculous SP cost aside that is.