Author Topic: "Placeholder Sign [I can't think of a name]" (Spell Card Help Topic IV)  (Read 224152 times)

Re: "Placeholder Sign [I can't think of a name]" (Spell Card Help Topic IV)
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
The are aimed elements but there is more to it than simply streaming. You'll need to take in larger portions of the screen and look for the most safe locations to position yourself. Although, if memory serves, the card is pretty tough for a Normal mode 'final card' so don't be ashamed if you have to bomb it. As far as capturing it goes, i can't really give any advice beyond practice it and get better. :)

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
Nitori's first boss card on Hard (not the midboss one). I cannot seem to figure out how to move with the waves.

Also Hina's last card on Hard. Is it just micrododging luckshit, or is there actually a trick that I'm missing?

Zil

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »
Nitori's first boss card on Hard (not the midboss one). I cannot seem to figure out how to move with the waves.

Also Hina's last card on Hard. Is it just micrododging luckshit, or is there actually a trick that I'm missing?
Nitori's card is Trauma in the Glimmering Depths right? That's completely static. Just use a safespot. Here's a practice run where I perfected the battle. - Replay
That replay is Lunatic, but it works the same way. I just go into the "valley" created by the curving bullets. There are probobly other safespots too. The card doesn't normally last longer than one wave, but I guess seeing three waves just makes it clearer what you should do.
Hina's last card is just dodging I think, but it is by no means luck.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:44:55 PM by Zil »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
For Diluvial Mere, you'll want to stay above or below either the crest or trough of the waves. Those are the "safespots" as some call them, and that's where you'll want to stream the aimed bullets. Be sure to leave yourself enough room to stream them though - it's easier on Hard since the waves are all lined up symmetrically (unlike in Lunatic where they crisscross) and you can stream diagonally between the waves if you absolutely had to (not recommended of course).

Exiled Doll is dodging, but it's hardly "luckshit". Read the blue pellets well in advance to make sure they're not moving straight at you, and of course don't be afraid to move up if that happens to be where the biggest space is.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:52 AM »
I need help with Ten Evil Stars... are you supposed to stay at the safe spot and move horizontally?
Also, when Subterranean Sun speeds up, I quickly lose control and have to bomb spam and die. ???
As well, Orin's midboss opener seems particularly risky for me to dodge...

Now, I can get to stage 5 consistently, but gah I slip too many times in the previous stages to stupid deaths...

Zil

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 01:45:14 AM »
Ten Evil Stars - Yes, stay a the safespot and just move horizontally. If you move too far left or right you'll get hit, so stay under Utsuho.
For Orin's midboss opener, I usually try to dodge through the walls rather than follow the paths (on Lunatic, which I believe is the difficulty you're talking about). EDIT: Ignore this
Subterranean Sun is basically just dodging. One "trick" I use on that spell is to move a bit to the right or left, and allow the gravity to pull me back to center while backing up. That way the rate at which you move left and right is consant and very slow, and you freely adjust your vertical position as neccesary. Sorry if that's confusing, it's hard to describe.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:31:57 AM by Zil »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:33 AM »
I need help with Ten Evil Stars... are you supposed to stay at the safe spot and move horizontally?
Also, when Subterranean Sun speeds up, I quickly lose control and have to bomb spam and die. ???
As well, Orin's midboss opener seems particularly risky for me to dodge...
Yes.

I recommend making sure that all motions you make to dodge stuff during SS be diagonal, that way you can worry about getting your positioning right without constantly worrying about being pulled too close to Utsuho. The red bullets are predictable enough that even short-term memory from facing the same pattern during the slower sections beforehand should help you out there. Learning precisely how to control your movements with that gravity effect still takes a bit of getting used to, so don't sweat it too much.

The way you worded that concerns me. I hope you're not trying to sit at the bottom or something. You have to follow the lanes as they swing about, ideally halfway between Orin and the bottom so you can actually keep up with them. Fake-edit: Now Zil apparently states he does it like that. Trust me, that's definitely not how you approach that attack.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Zil

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »
Fake-edit: Now Zil apparently states he does it like that. Trust me, that's definitely not how you approach that attack.
Sorry, I've always found it easier that way, because you only have to go through 3 or 4 walls and it ends very quickly. But if that's how you were doing it and it wasn't working then do as Funen said, and definitely don't sit at the bottom in that case.

EDIT: Well that was an epic fail on my part. For some reason I recalled doing that on Lunatic, but not Hard, when it is of course the other way around. On Lunatic it is a very bad idea to try to go through the walls, so for sure go along the paths. Now I feel like a fool. :derp:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:30:05 AM by Zil »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »
Thanks!! Now I'm a couple of steps closer to a lunatic 1cc.
I should slap myself for the "risky" approach to Orin's midboss opener (either going through walls or swinging wildly cuz of staying at the bottom in the beginning) - dunno why I've never thought of going up to the middle :V

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 02:49:29 PM »
Man, I would have gotten a perfect Normal Orin decades ago if it wasn't for motherflippin ghost wheels. I know there's a trick to it. I know the trick. And yet, it is STILL beyond me.

I might as well need all the tips you guys can muster; I don't like my 0/21 record so far...!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
You mean how the wheels are aimed at you? That's part of it, but learning how often Orin spawns those wheels is just as crucial. When you know when she's about to fire an new set of wheels, keep track of your own position so you know how far over to move. You should only need 2 or 3 rough spots to move between as you do this.

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
Hourai Jewel on Lunatic level?

I can't remember how to do it, but it seemed so doable on hard mode lol, i just found out i was pretty bad at doing it, but all other cards were fine, but i just got so lost doing it, any tips?

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
Hourai Jewel on Lunatic level?

I can't remember how to do it, but it seemed so doable on hard mode lol, i just found out i was pretty bad at doing it, but all other cards were fine, but i just got so lost doing it, any tips?
I just memorized which gaps to dash through. Here's a replay.

Also, I've never seen anyone else do the opening the way I do it.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Anybody willing to check my TD replay and tell me how the hell could I improve enough to beat it? Now that it's taking longer than freaking Koishi, I'm pretty worried  :ohdear:.
Everything after 3rd nonspell will just not let me through without a goddamn bomb / trance or two. The worst offenders at the moment are Scrolls of Frolicking Animals (should I stream the dogs or jump between Mamizou's horizontal position and the bottom?), Wild Deserted Island (despite tackling this shit for a few hundred times in spell practice, I would never ever attempt to capture it when not bombless, and the only thing that makes it possible to even pass that card is hugging the bottom and looking directly to my left / right, hoping that I'm away enough of their ambigious hitboxes and can slip through), Pseudo-Exorcism of the Stupid Shrine Maiden (need an absolutely easiest way, so the amulets won't wall me when I try to find the path through the frogs), and the goddamn survival, but I believe there is no better alternative than jumping half screen up and down every wave and hope to fit between hitboxes.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17273
Not my best game, but close. I once forgot to save in rage after managing to reach the final phase of Pompokolin, but that's due to insane luck on Reimu clone card, and I would like to rather clear the fight thanks to my abilities than dumb luck.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:43:52 PM by Critz »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
The 5th spell isn't too bad, just dodge everything.  I just got it in one try with no specific strategy, but I'd say use a trance on this in a clear attempt.

Tanooki's Monstrous School is pretty easy with the right strategy, I stay unfocused and run along the bottom, moving up through the gaps as the stick figures shoot, then moving back across the screen, kind of in a bowtie pattern.  The very edges of the screen are safe, so don't worry about the stick figures ramming you.

There is no trick to Wild Deserted Island.

For Pseudo-Exorcism of the Stupid Shrine Maiden, have 2 replays I made to help out a friend a bit ago. http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17275
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17276

There is no trick to the survival short of moving up and down on the later phases and hoping the dogs give you a gap.
Have a replay though: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17277
This was my 8th try at the spell in practice.

The last spell took me some 60 tries to capture once, so have a replay of my successful attempt: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17278

For the nonspells, the 4th and 5th are streaming, sort of like Kogasa's nonspells only with less movement (Kogasa's 2nd on hard is the best analogue), the 6th and 7th are streaming throgh a path where there's stuff on the path, don't be afraid to bomb these.  The 8th is left  right right through the 'lane', then right left left through it next wave.  I always bomb this.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
I just memorized which gaps to dash through. Here's a replay.

Also, I've never seen anyone else do the opening the way I do it.

The opening is straightforward (using your method is easier as the next round is perhaps made it a tad easy).

However, i think the replay isn't enough, even if i keep trying and over and over, history is 0/130 lol...Perhaps an explanation,

I can feel the pattern to this, but its when i try to crossover, i somewhat get trapped in the bullets i was streaming, maybe not enough space for crossover? (then again, if i do move away from the bullets i am streaming from, i'd most likely run into the static bullets)

Replay

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
The opening is straightforward (using your method is easier as the next round is perhaps made it a tad easy).

However, i think the replay isn't enough, even if i keep trying and over and over, history is 0/130 lol...Perhaps an explanation,

I can feel the pattern to this, but its when i try to crossover, i somewhat get trapped in the bullets i was streaming, maybe not enough space for crossover? (then again, if i do move away from the bullets i am streaming from, i'd most likely run into the static bullets)

Replay
I can't really explain what I do, although you dash through the same set of color gaps every wave.  I always go through the last 'large' gap the first rightward stream, then on the 3rd and 5th turns (also streaming right pre-turn) I go through the smaller gap with an unfocused dash.  I don't remember which gap I stream-turn through on the leftward moving, but it's the same one every time.  Also, listen for when the sound effect chain stops, because it means the 'curtain' has fully aimed itself at you, and there's a small wait period before the next one.

Beyond that it's memorization and attempt spam.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Anybody willing to check my TD replay and tell me how the hell could I improve enough to beat it?

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17273

I have a replay of my own. It doesn't include everything you're asking for though, since I messed up Mamizou's 8th and 10th cards stupidly. I'll cover all the other stuff you didn't capture.

Amphibian Danmaku really shouldn't be that hard. You just sit under Mamizou and dodge as needed. Obviously you move away from the frogs if they plant themselves too close to you, but other than that it should be simple.

Fifth nonspell is a lot like the fourth really. The only difference is that each wave is split into two halves, and they can be rotated differently, so it's not just a straight path like the fourth nonspell was. Read where this second half sets itself up and adjust accordingly. That's all there is to it.

I tend to make relatively large vertical movements during Frolicking Animals, if only to ensure the dogs don't curve into me. I think you were trying to rush things in your replay, and that's why you died there.

Despite the different layout of the sixth and seventh nonspells compared to the rest, it still follows the "move one way, then the other" theme of the ones before. You probably don't have to make those short unfocused movements I do, I only did that since I haven't played Mamizou a whole lot myself and am not "perfectly" comfortable with them yet.

You seemed to have the general idea for doing Tanuki's Monstrous School before you used those bombs. It's just a matter of keeping it up for multiple waves, making a sort of "infinity sign" shape as you go.

Yeah, you'll want to stay near the bottom of the screen for Wild Deserted Island. That way you won't end up getting distracted by lots of animaku traveling below you and you can focus on the ones you actually need to dodge.

It looked like you knew what to do for the eighth nonspell too, so I have no idea why you bombed there. Just tap left and right in each lane as it steadily shifts over.

That's pretty much how you deal with the survival too, misdirect the birds away from the center and then read for gaps in between the dogs.

« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2011, 09:30:56 AM »
If there's one thing playing as ReimuB in SA Normal has taught me, it's that I have no clue how to do Throwing Mt. Togakushi.

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
The spread is aimed at you so consider it a form of streaming. I don't recall anything about the Normal version but i'm sure the same rules applies as for the Lunatic version except slower so make sure to misdirect the spread.

Zil

« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
Yeah, it's all about misdrection. Try to see the path you're going to use to get out of the way the instant she actually fires, and dodge the whole mass of bullets. It's good if you can get her to shoot off to the side, so you can keep returning to the middle.

« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »
If there's one thing playing as ReimuB in SA Normal has taught me, it's that I have no clue how to do Throwing Mt. Togakushi.

I have a replay with a timeout online, if you want to see how it works.

And here's a replay with a capture.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:40:56 PM by Humongous Catfish »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2011, 02:13:02 AM »
Best Stage 5 so far (2 deaths, normally it's 3+): http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17330
Need help:
Zombie Fairies - bomb land... 4 power = 1-2 bombs, 2-3 power = 1-3 bombs, 1 power or less = death.
Spleen Eater - I'm timing it out NDNB all the time now... how to capture?
3rd non-card - I've seriously lost the ability to do this for some reason.
Ghost Wheels - I still don't get the way they are aimed.
Last card - ??? I know I'm supposed to lead the fairies to the top, but have trouble circling back down.

Some help with Parsee's first nonspell and last card would be good as well... I dislike having to bomb it.
Funny how I've perfected stage 1 and stage 3 (just now!), but not stage 2, which is considered the easiest of them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:20:10 AM by Kanon »

Zil

« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2011, 02:34:11 AM »
but not stage 2, which is considered the easiest of them.
Just how is stage 2 supposed to be easier than stage 1? I'm not too familiar with most of Orin, but for Parsee's nonspell, isn't it just random dodging? It takes some needle-threading, but I don't think there are any tricks.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2011, 03:41:54 AM »
I need help with Murasa's second card and her third nonspell. Also I can't get the four corners strategy right on her survival.

Zil

« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2011, 04:36:35 AM »
I need help with Murasa's second card and her third nonspell. Also I can't get the four corners strategy right on her survival.
I think all of her nonspells are static, so you can just memorize it. For the vortex spell, you want to stay under Murasa. If you can guess predict where she's going to go, then try to get there first so she stops right above you and doesn't give you diagonal bullets. Can't say about the corners thing because I've never done it. I just wing it.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2011, 04:43:53 AM »
Best Stage 5 so far (2 deaths, normally it's 3+): http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17330
Need help:
Zombie Fairies - bomb land... 4 power = 1-2 bombs, 2-3 power = 1-3 bombs, 1 power or less = death.
Spleen Eater - I'm timing it out NDNB all the time now... how to capture?
3rd non-card - I've seriously lost the ability to do this for some reason.
Ghost Wheels - I still don't get the way they are aimed.
Last card - ??? I know I'm supposed to lead the fairies to the top, but have trouble circling back down.

Some help with Parsee's first nonspell and last card would be good as well... I dislike having to bomb it.
Funny how I've perfected stage 1 and stage 3 (just now!), but not stage 2, which is considered the easiest of them.
I'll critique the whole replay instead of just the things you listed.

I suppose not shooing during the stage opener (and closer) comes down to preference, so I won't comment on that.

You had me worried a bit when you started to drift toward the bottom during the midboss opener. Generally you'll want to stay about halfway between Orin and the bottom when following the lanes, only moving down slightly if you need more room to transition between lanes when heading right (basically when the attacks switches between the slower set of lanes to the faster set).

Perhaps hard to tell if you were reading the second nonspell ahead of time - you did head toward the more open space to the right, though you're arguably better off trying to stay under Orin as much as possible. That way you won't have to face too much of the future waves where you can't exactly "read ahead" and must react to everything.

You're supposed to follow Orin around during the Catwalk. It requires full unfocused movement, but the sooner you can end this card the better. I don't blame you for bombing where you did though. You would have survived, but a dodge like that can be difficult to see coming even with extensive experience on that card.

You got kinda lucky that there weren't many pellets on the other side of the screen when you gapped that first time. Considering how dense the pellet hell gets, you'll want to avoid gapping at all costs. It's also better to stream this one from right to left since it will set you up for the next section.

Here's where I noticed something present in the rest of the replay: you seemed to be a bit too unwilling to leave the bottom of the screen. That bomb after the second gap in the post-pellet hell section was unnecessary - you could have gone up and around those shots with a light tap. Sure it looks tight, but Reimu is tailor-made to fit through those kinds of small spaces. You can also get a head-start at reading where the green bullets are spreading while Reimu is still in her gapping animation, since you can't really control her during that time anyway.

Sure that safespot is there on boss-Orin's opener, though I'll argue that it's not necessary outside of scoreruns. The attack is supposed to make you face bullets of two speeds, but generally you won't face a whole lot of blue pellets for that design to come into play much. It's more a matter of not psyching yourself into ramming them stupidly while fitting through the lanes.

ReimuA is one of those few characters who can, with some finagling, sit directly under Orin for a good deal of her first card and simply plow through the zombie fairies. However, she can really only do this when at 3.xx Power or above, so conserving your Power beforehand (i.e. not bombing too much) is crucial. What you'll want to do is sit under Orin at the start, before the fairies appear, and then just before they do, dash to the very top of the screen so that the fairies follow you higher up. Once Orin starts shooting, circle back around to her right and back to the bottom, then dodge any bullets you face. A visual demonstration might help, so take a look at this video if you're still confused.

Just like with Orin's opener, the lanes in the second nonspell don't spawn within a certain radius around your character. You can actually take advantage of that to make this attack really easy. Sit really close below Orin, as in "looking up her skirt" close, and when the lanes spawn you'll see no bullets above you whatsoever (well, no bullets that will move down toward you). From there it's a matter of tapping down lightly to avoid the aimed shots from the wisps. Just remember to move back up close to Orin before the next wave starts.

For one, entering the second spell with a lot of Power helps to avoid a time-out. Granted, it's still possible to capture this at no Power if you're good enough at following Orin (example, pondeS does this frequently in his scoreruns), but that's beside the point. As long as you have enough Power, you won't have to change anything you're doing. Though I will mention that you seemed to drift left as time went on. It didn't hurt you this time, though you'll definitely want to make sure you don't run into the wall while you do this and run out of room.

The third nonspell is a randomly-oriented static pattern, so you can either practice it a lot or take a look at other people's replays and study how to approach the dangerous spots of each wave. It looked like you understood how to get past the crisscrossing bullets near the end of each wave (you went slightly to the left/right of where they crossed), and judging from your post I'm wiling to bet it's a confidence problem on your part. You're on the right track though, just keep playing it and you'll get more comfortable.

The Ghost Wheels are aimed right at you (though I'm under the impression it's slightly to the right of your hitbox, but close enough). They fire at set intervals, and their trajectories are determined the instant you hear that whirring sound. Their traveling speed also allows for two waves to be aimed at the exact same spot before you even have to move. From a horizontal standpoint, they're also spaced the same way every time. Avoiding the wheels really takes some of the same strategies you'd use for normal streaming - once two waves have been fired, move left or right in between the wheels. The catch is of course dodging the smaller bullets while managing the wheels. You'll want to make sure you know exactly where you are when each wave is spawned, so you know how far you'll need to move every two waves. I'll point again to that video of mine I linked to above for a demonstration. This approach is still easier said than done, but don't let it bring you down - it's by far Orin's hardest attack, and it can give even experienced players trouble.

Like with Orin's first card, it's best to enter Small Demon's Revival with as much Power as possible. You'll want to bring the zombie fairies up a bit more to the left than where you did in your replay, then circle around steadily, ideally going back under Orin by the time the fairies send out their thickest set of bubbles. Try to sit under her for as long as possible, and don't be afraid to circle around a second time if the fairies get close again. Don't go too slowly when you do this by the way, lest the fairies will find some way to wall you. You can see in my video that I almost bite it because I hesitated on the second go-around and was forced to dodge bubbles along the side of the screen. You'd do well to avoid getting trapped like that.

Yeah, like Zil said Parsee's opener takes some precision, even with Reimu. The pattern is randomly oriented and becomes a bit distorted when Parsee moves around, but the attack presents a similar setup each wave. Her last card is best dealt with a repeating process of "misdirect shots to the side, dash back under her". Alternate the sides you misdirect to, and provided you're at near full Power, ReimuA can end this card before you have to do much dodging at all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:48:45 AM by ふねん1 »

J.O.B

« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »
I think all of her nonspells are static, so you can just memorize it. For the vortex spell, you want to stay under Murasa. If you can guess predict where she's going to go, then try to get there first so she stops right above you and doesn't give you diagonal bullets. Can't say about the corners thing because I've never done it. I just wing it.
I see. I knew her nonspells are static but I can't seem to find a path on the third spell.

Also Parsee's opener is not randomly oriented at all. Just try moving left or right when she fires them and it lines up perfecly.

Zil

« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »
Also Parsee's opener is not randomly oriented at all. Just try moving left or right when she fires them and it lines up perfecly.
The nonspell? That's definately randomly oriented. You can't stream it if that's what you're saying. The spell is another story.
I see. I knew her nonspells are static but I can't seem to find a path on the third spell.
By "third spell" you meant third nonspell right? Just keep playing it, and time it out each time. You'll get a "feel" for it without actually memorizing it, which is probobly better anyway. Personally I find using static paths in general can screw me up if forget one slight movement or something.

J.O.B

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure the nonspell is definitely not randomly oriented. Or at least you can make it not randomly oriented. I swear whenever I move left or right when she fires it make a nice path to go through.