Author Topic: Kirby thread - Return to Dreamland!  (Read 6366 times)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Kirby thread - Return to Dreamland!
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:32 AM »
So Mass Attack's been out for a while, and Kirby's Return to Dreamland is coming out very soon!

Despite being the Kirby fan that I am, Mass Attack was a bit of a letdown. Even though the level designs were nice, the play just felt somewhat repetitive in the end. The minigames are completely awesome, though. The music was pretty decent.

I'm really, really stoked on Return to Dreamland. There's been quite a few videos showing more and more info, and it seems that some crazy stuff happens after World 5. Not to mention the new abilities, the game's visual upgrade, and the new songs that sound wonderful.
Hopefully it'll be at a decent difficulty.

Any thoughts on either game?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Kirby thread - Return to Dreamland!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »
>Kirby
>difficulty

You're kidding, right? The games are supposed to be easy...For the most part. I figure the challenge rooms will be just that: challenging, but not like, Nintendo Hard.

I am looking forward to the game though, and I will play the heck out of it when it comes out tomorrow! ^_^ All I've had was Kirby 64 and Kirby's Epic Yarn, neither of which I 100%'d (the first I got all the crystals, but not all the enemy data cards, and I haven't finished the latter), so it'll be nice to play a regular Kirby game.

Getting hit and losing your powerup is kind of a pain, though. I wish they wouldn't do that. :fail:

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
Really enjoyed Dreamland, Adventure, Super Star and Amazing Mirror.
Needs more spicy curry, Kracko Cloud, and yo-yo power.

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:05:08 AM »
I'm a lifelong Kirby fan, and I have to say that I haven't anticipated a new Kirby title this much since Amazing Mirror. I still remember this being announced for Gamecube years back, and every now and then they tease us with a bit of info or a trailer. Considering that I've beaten every Kirby game but Epic Yarn and Mass Attack, it will be nice to get back into the series.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
Really enjoyed Dreamland, Adventure, Super Star and Amazing Mirror.

This

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
* Third Eye Lem calls gamestop
* Gamestop says they won't have it in until tomorrow
* Third Eye Lem  :persona:

It's not fair, I tell ya T_T

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
Pre-ordered my copy awhile ago. Yes, this series has a bad habit of being piss easy, but its so much fun you just don't care. In fact, I think I feel like popping Super Star Ultra back in, or, if I can get my stupid uncle to piss off, Dreamland 3 on my Wii.

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
Pre-ordered my copy awhile ago. Yes, this series has a bad habit of being piss easy, but its so much fun you just don't care. In fact, I think I feel like popping Super Star Ultra back in, or, if I can get my stupid uncle to piss off, Dreamland 3 on my Wii.
The difficulty argument is why I enjoyed Amazing Mirror so much. Super Star remains my favorite for a couple of reasons, but getting 100% on Amazing Mirror is probably still my proudest Kirby moment. :V
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
Amazing Mirror was basically Great Cave Offensive: The Game, so it's completely okay to love it.

I've got it ordered but it's gonna take a while to ship here.  In the meantime I'm still working through Mass Attack.  This game is actually pretty difficult in all seriousness - getting a complete 100% (Completing the checklist as opposed to just collecting every medal) requires getting every gold star and... well let's just say I'm finding the game pretty tricky in that respect!

My favourite Kirby game is actually still Dream Course, though.  Because it's absolutely infuriating.

KrackoCloud

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
Assuming Kracko is in the game, what I wish was kept in is Wheel, since it's been such a staple ability.

EDIT: Well, I'm in World 2! The game is shaping up nicely so far!
The difficulty is pretty Kirby standard so far. The main reason for taking damage is when you get too full of yourself because those abilities... They're just so empowering! You just wanna run around and hit everything like Sengoku Basara.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:28:20 AM by KrackoCloud »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 06:44:37 AM »
I'm already in World 3, and I love this game. It's challenging, to an extent, you can usually just fly over everything, and the Power Cells are usually pretty easy to find. I just wish there was an option to quit the level and keep your cells so you wouldn't have to replay the whole thing. >_> Kind of a nuisance.

But I agree with you on the powers, we even get some new ones like the Whip, Leaf, and Water. I personally prefer Cutter, though. I also like how you don't INSTANTLY lose your powerup when attacked, and you run faster while using a Lollipop.

My only regret is that its so short, at this rate, I'll finish the game to 100% with ease! XP I should also consider going back and finishing Epic Yarn too...Still, worth the purchase.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
I am still waiting on my copy to ship D:

Have I been seeing right in the trailers and this game returns to the Super Star method of powers? (Where each power is capable of a variety of actions depending on input, instead of just one like Adventure/Amazing Mirror/Squeak Squad)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:35 PM »
I am still waiting on my copy to ship D:

Have I been seeing right in the trailers and this game returns to the Super Star method of powers? (Where each power is capable of a variety of actions depending on input, instead of just one like Adventure/Amazing Mirror/Squeak Squad)
Ouch. This is why I go to Gamestop...or any other store for that matter.

And yes, there are multiple attack inputs just like in Super Star! They're fun to use, but some of them (like the hold down then up and hit attack combo) are tricky to pull off. I think you only need to master them if you plan on Platinum Medal-ing all the challenge rooms (which aren't necessary to 100%, you just need to finish the room). Some of the spheres require a specific powerup (like using Whip or Spear to hit stuff through walls), but it's usually pretty easy to figure out which is needed.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
Due to personal problems I won?t be able to play this game for a while.
I am a hardcore Kirby fan and this unnecessary wait is making me die a little in the inside.

Is multiplayer fun? ;-;

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
My copy shipped! :D  Should be here by the 2nd.

KrackoCloud

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »
The ability challenge rooms actual pose a nice challenge! They're not insanely hard, but at least require memorization.

Also, one thing that really bothers me - Stages often have a number of hidden rooms and paths, but lots of them only lead to stars or food. Why, HAL, why? You have all these great hidden spots, and you don't even bother to put orbs there! Most of the orbs are very easy to attain.
But hey, I just beat World 2 and the difficulty is actually rising some. I have high hopes for what's to come.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 02:09:59 AM »
It gets tricky somewhere around World 3. World 4 is...Annoying. XD At least not soul-crushingly hard, just annoying.

KrackoCloud

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »
Okay, I've been getting farther in this game, and I seriously recommend it.
Everything is crispy, happy, and the abilities are very empowering.
The difficulty is, of course, really low at its start, but it gets better by the second half of the game. At its hardest, the game can be pretty amazing!

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 01:50:12 AM »
Okay, I've been getting farther in this game, and I seriously recommend it.
Everything is crispy, happy, and the abilities are very empowering.
The difficulty is, of course, really low at its start, but it gets better by the second half of the game. At its hardest, the game can be pretty amazing!
It's Nintendo. It's Kirby. Of course it's going to be god-mazing. :D

One more week of waiting. orz

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »
I have my copy, but I don't know when I'll get to play it. :/

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
The hardest worlds for me were Worlds 4 and 7. World 6 isn't...Too bad, but 7 is absolutely brutal. I couldn't get the third Energy Sphere in the final level. Stupid key puzzles. >_<

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
This game is really good, it's my second favorite Kirby game after Super Star and tied with Adventure. It's really easy, even Extra, but getting Platinum medals in the challenge rooms is not easy. They are even harder in Extra mode. True Arena will probably present a challenge as well. The game is really fun and I recommend it to anyone.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »
This game is execellent, having a ton of it. I'm reminded of Super Star, but in a good way.

Oh, and we can't forget the the awesome music.

KrackoCloud

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
Just beat the normal game, 96%. Great final boss.
Still pretty upset that lots of well-hidden areas don't hold Spheres.
I've started the Extra mode and hopefully there will be some new stuff! Maybe Spheres will be harder to find this time around.