Author Topic: [Music] Roukanken's Strange Works  (Read 5108 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
[Music] Roukanken's Strange Works
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
So, I took a break from writing. Burnt myself out. Needed to work on something else for a change. Now, those of you who've been around for a while will probably know I had a period where I tried to write music for a fangame people were making. I haven't really made anything since, but...well, I needed a change of scenery.

I'm bad with concepts and naming. Hell, I more or less threw this together as I went along, but here it is:
Holy Disaster ~ Crusade of Crisis!

Not sure how frequently I'll be able to make these, if at all. Inspiration comes and goes, even moreso than with my writing. :V

Re: [Music] Roukanken's Strange Works
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »
It's pretty good ! It has a Top Gear 2-ish vibe to it, maybe because of the synth bass.

inb4 EP

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:58 AM »
inb4 EP
Fantastic job.

As for the song, it's a pretty good listen.

Time to give my commentary.

- First, what combination of DAW, software, hardware, etc. do you use? I detect THFont.
 - The backing run of notes and melody have too similar tones. One of them should be changed.
 - I didn't like the polysynth in the background - lower its attack and raise its delay and release a little bit.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:35:28 AM »
- First, what combination of DAW, software, hardware, etc. do you use? I detect THFont.
Write the MIDI in Anvil Studio, run it through SynthFont using THFont.

- I didn't like the polysynth in the background - lower its attack and raise its delay and release a little bit.
I'm afraid I don't know what any of those words mean. Attack? Delay? Release?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
I'm afraid I don't know what any of those words mean. Attack? Delay? Release?
Hi

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:03 AM »
Hi
This might be where I run into trouble because I have no idea how to edit these in Synthfont. :x

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
This might be where I run into trouble because I have no idea how to edit these in Synthfont. :x
-lack of experience in Synthfont-
someone continue.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
-lack of experience in Synthfont-
someone continue.
SynthFont lacks these capabilities IIRC. For adjusting such parameters you need to load the SF2 in a VST or AU wrapper such as SFZ+ or EXS24.  From there you can adjust some settings with a graphical interface, which improves their flexibility a bit.
I haven't played in Anvil in a while, however, but I know it can load VSTis....

Bad command or file name

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:43:34 AM »
I'm bad with concepts and naming. Hell, I more or less threw this together as I went along, but here it is:
Holy Disaster ~ Crusade of Crisis!

LOOOOooooove~
I just love the way THFont sounds, especially how you used the piano. Is this Acoustic Piano and Bright Piano? I can't seem to get the pianos to sound properly.

Also at 1:12, I think I'm hearing some synth brass. It kinda sounds like the AccessVirusBrass, though I could be wrong though. It kinda sound exciting for some reason.

I just want to point out the lack of power dedicated to the kicks.  :3

Looking forward to hearing more. XD

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
SUDDENLY FROM PAGE 5 AFTER 7 MONTHS

So today I had Anvil open and decided 'what the hell, DRK needs a theme song of some sort'. I'm still pretty lousy at this whole thing, but hopefully it's passable enough to be entertaining. :P

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »
I'm getting Amiga vibes here, thanks to the panning of the instruments into hard left/right most of time. Not a problem, since I do love the Amiga sound, but I'm just noting that.

Good use of the trumpet and the fretless bass as a counter-melody/harmony.

I find the drums a bit quiet, and the harpsichord a bit loud around 1:30 especially. For the main piano melody I'd consider raising it an octave to make it stand out more. Piano seems lonely at 1:57, and could use some support, such as a left-hand portion.
Bad command or file name