Author Topic: Things that make you different from most Touhou players  (Read 134151 times)

Things that make you different from most Touhou players
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:30 PM »
As the title states, name a few opinons about Touhou that most people would disagree with. I'll start:

1. Why does everyone say Zun doesn't take the first 3 stages seriously? Once you play lunatic, the first 3 stages are actually pretty f***ing hard.
2. I find Hourai Jewel to be the most difficult final spellcard in the series. Harder than Resurrection Butterfly, Scarlet Gensokyo, and VotWG.
3. I find Imperishable Night on lunatic to be batshit insane compared to PCB on lunatic.
4. Aya's 15 second survival card isn't really that bad on hard. I can capture it consistently.
5. I never played the fighting games more than once, since I've never liked fighting games.
6. With the exception of EoSD, I don't find the stage 4s to be so bad. Even MoF's stage 4 isn't that hard. I never had a problem with the midboss (whatever her name is) and nothing in the Aya fight cannot be solved without a bomb. PCB gives you a crapload of lives, IN is very enjoyable-it isn't bullshit.
7. I hate Flandre and Koishi. I hate them so much that I don't even care for their extra stages. I like Mokou, Yukari and Suwako but Flandre and Koishi seem so boring.
8. What's so great about U.N.Owen was her?
9. I hate IOSYS with a passion.
10. My least favorite Touhou pairing is MarisaXAlice.
That's all I can think of for now. Post your own!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:24:37 PM by BoLaD »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Things that make you different from most Touhou players
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
1. I'm a huge PC-98 nut, and in terms of easy listening I prefer PC-98 songs to Windows songs.

2. I HATE SA stage 4. Just despise the whole thing.

3. I think Highly Responsive to Prayers is a fun game.

4. I've beaten every non-fighting game in the series on lunatic, and as far as I know am one of only a handful of people outside Japan to have 1cc'd PoDD lunatic. That's special from what I hear.

5. I think Life Spring Infinity is a fair spell card.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:25 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
Ok, let's see:
1)Every computer I have handy lags like crazy. Due to that, the amount of legitimate 1ccs I've done is horrendously low.
2)Eirin >>>> Kaguya.
3)I tend to try stuff way above my current level. You could say I'm a danmaku Masochist.
4)Most stage 4s are FUCK.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »
I play Ijji mode with hax.

I suck that much.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
Using 'nut as a template, since half of it applies to me:

1. I'm a huge PC-98 nut, and in terms of easy listening I prefer PC-98 songs to Windows songs.

2. I'm part of a very small group of people who keep records for a bundle of Spell Cards. From this, I would also say that I'm one of the few people who actually pays great detail to them. Unfortunately, I don't keep a record of how to do stages themselves, like the others of this very small group.

3. I think Highly Responsive to Prayers is a fun game.

4. I find EES to be quite fair. Mind you, I think the stage is garbage in the sense that it's quite impossible to perfect it.

4. Aya's 15 second survival card isn't really that bad on hard. I can capture it consistently.
You would be quite (un?)surprised at the difficulty jump for this Spell Card (equivalent) between Hard and Lunatic.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
I like most of the MoF and SA art

ooohhh

edit: I play more (shooters) than just Touhou, super ooohhh
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:59:21 PM by lgb »
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »
*I like Keine and don't think she's especially difficult outside Pseudo-History (where the difficulty comes from tapping the <- key just hard enough to go exactly three pixels).
*I like the Eirin fight.  I also like Brilliant Dragon Bullet.
*I don't think Momizi is complete luckgarbage.
*I like Koishi and her theme.  I dislike SA Stage 4, the Satori fight, and Yugi.
*I think all stages should be like PCB Stage 3.
*I like Yuyuko, but think Resurrection Butterfly is boring.
*I hate Flandre slightly more than I hate Necro-Fantasy and both arrangements of Charming Domination.
*Like BaitySM I do try to keep track of how spell cards "work" mechanically, although this is partly due to my pipe dream of going anywhere with DMF.
*The backgrounds keep distracting me from the game.  And it's not the backgrounds' fault; I just think UFO (in particular) is visually appealing.  Also, there's a cat hanging around Utsuho, and it's not Orin.
*I always play with score in mind.  I don't graze abuse, so I don't get phenomenal scores, but I get more points than most people who don't treat score runs as a religion.
*I play Shoot the Bullet.  And like it.
*I use the version of the EoSD graphics patch where you CAN'T see your hitbox... and I prefer it.  (If I have to micrododge in EoSD, something's probably wrong.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:35:40 PM by u? »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
*I think all stages should be like PCB Stage 3.
this combined with 3 lives starting and no extends

BEST 3 OF 5, ROUND 1 FIGHT
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »
1. I think Shoot the Bullet is overall the easiest and best game in the series
2. I don't like being able to see my hitbox
3. I am a huge PC-98 nut
4. I prefer Seihou to Touhou

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
The main playable characters (Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Sanae) happen to be my favorites. Screw youkai.

I use an Xbox controller. Makes combos in SWR much easier. Oh...I didn't see that other thread. I guess other people do use one.

I almost prefer Seihou, but I'm even worse at it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:34:50 PM by Slowpoke »

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »
1.  IMO, Orin is objectively the best boss fight that ZUN has ever designed.
2.  I think MoF is the worst Windows shooter in pretty much every concievable way except graphics and music.  Yes, that includes StB and PoFV.
3.  IN and EoSD are the only extra stages in all of Touhou that I really care about.
4.  The Seihou games are mostly equal in quality to the Touhou games (especially SG and BSR-c67).
5.  There are lots of popular themes that never did much for me.  Some examples include:  Necrofantasia, Reincarnation, Strawberry Crisis, Lunatic Princess, Wind God Girl, and, umm... extra stage themes in general (both stage and boss).
6.  I'm actually starting to find playing for score somewhat enjoyable.  Even though I still suck at it.
7.  I think Cirno is the easiest Windows stage 2 boss, while Mystia is one of the harder ones.
8.  After looking at it again, I don't think UFO stage 3 is all that badly designed.  Stage 2 still sux though.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
1. I think Youmu's midboss spell on Hard is difficult.
2. I suck at Water & Wood Sign "Water Elf" on Normal.
3. I don't like Patchouli - her character, not her battle.
4. I have little to no trouble with Youmu's openers.
5. I think Koishi is the hardest Extra boss.
6. I hate non-Touhou shooters
7. I think the "Sakuya uses pads" meme is incredibly stupid
8. I have trouble finding a suitable way to play EoSD, MoF and SA
9. I don't like Rumia and Letty. They are waay too easy.
10. Eirin aside, i think Yuyuko is the worst final boss in the windows games.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »

Same for me, though the meme that really annoys me the most is the "Suppa Tenko" one. The whole "Aya is a whore" crap is close though.

- I try to do very hard and completely pointless challenges for no real reason and won't stop until I complete them, no matter how many times I ragequit I'll come back a few minutes later, but I barely have any patience while playing the game normally.
- Phantasm is easy for an extra stage.
- "Possessed by Phoenix" is harder than "Fujiyama Volcano"
- "Maze of Love" is fun to dodge normally.
- I don't think Cirno is an idiot. She's just very childish.
- I always use ReimuA no matter the situation on my first attempt, even if other shot types are much better for what I'm trying to do. The only exception up to now has been SoEW.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »
1. I actually like Zun's Artwork.
2. I'm sick of listening to U.N.Owen.
3. I think Youmu is a monster in the fighting games but a complete wuss in pofv.
4. I don't have a nico nico account.
5. Medicine's theme is kind of catchy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:56:04 AM by Cadmas »

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »
1. I think Youmu's midboss spell on Hard is difficult.
2. I suck at Water & Wood Sign "Water Elf" on Normal.
3. I don't like Patchouli - her character, not her battle.
4. I have little to no trouble with Youmu's openers.
5. I think Koishi is the hardest Extra boss.
8. I have trouble finding a suitable way to play EoSD, MoF and SA
9. I don't like Rumia and Letty. They are waay too easy.
10. Eirin aside, i think Yuyuko is the worst final boss in the windows games.

With the exception of number 10, you and I are exactly alike.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:48 AM »
Posting down here so people can see it.
11: I like the Watatsuki's. It seems Mary Sue characters appeal to me more than most characters.
12: Kanako can make me look like a complete noob, despite how much I concentrate during her boss battle.
13: Touhou is the best video game series ever.

14: I perfer Zun's original music over remixed music. Then again I don't look for remixed music online much at all. I like G-Free Ultimate Dream (Greatest sound track ever) the Luna Dial remix by Ezel-Ash, Border of life by Nuetrel, and a few other strays but most of the touhou music that I listen to is original Zun work.

15: I've never played StB or PoFV.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:56:44 AM by BoLaD »

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 01:03:50 AM »
How is that different from anybody else here?
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
1: EoSD is easy, MoF isn't
2: I don't understand why people hate Aya, nor do I understand why they like Satori
3: I still have yet to do anything related to Touhou other than the shooters (maybe that answers the above)
4: Flandre,mokou, and yukari are easy, koishi is omgwtfhard.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:52:20 AM »
highly responsive to prayers is the only good touhou game that is fun, original, and difficult

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:37 AM »
1) I hate the art in IaMP and SWR, and actually prefer and like ZUN's art.
2) I buy the games and books.   ;)
3) I don't give a damn about Touhou memes, doujins, and fan arranges.
4) I don't think Touhou is the best shmup series, but I find its charm to be quite appealing.
5) Save for a few tracks, I no longer like much of the music from EoSD, PCB, and IN, and would probably do something atrocious if I had to listen to U.N. Owen was her? or Necro-* one more time; I prefer the music from the newer games these days.

Drake

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:40 AM »
You must be joking if you visit this forum and haven't yet realized how messed up I am.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 03:46:45 AM »
12: Kanako can make me look like a complete noob, despite how much I concentrate during her boss battle.

14: I perfer Zun's original music over remixed music. Then again I don't look for remixed music online much at all. I like G-Free Ultimate Dream (Greatest sound track ever) the Luna Dial remix by Ezel-Ash, Border of life by Nuetrel, and a few other strays but most of the touhou music that I listen to is original Zun work.

15: I've never played StB or PoFV.

Once again, you and I seem very similar.
12. Doing VoWG always claim a life or two which makes me look so poor even though i know the spectators wouldn't be able to do it better.
13. Indeed it is.
14. ZUN's original music often is the better version to me as well. There are very few remixes that does it for me.
15. I have played it but i don't like PoFV. Because of its design. I don't like having dropped a Lily White pattern on top of *insert Komachi pattern here*

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 04:50:46 AM »
1. I find ZUN's art to be quite decent, and in my opinion, PoFV PCB have the best overall art out of the current Windows games.
2. The main menu themes of the Windows games are among my favorite themes despite the fact that they are hardly recognized.
3. I find ZUN's trumpets to be enjoyable, not obnoxious.
4. I don't really like Touhou memes, but I don't hate them either.
5. I barely play any games outside of the RPG genre, with the exception of Touhou games.
6. I have never played any Touhou fanmade games.
7. I rarely have any trouble in stages one through five; stage sixes, however, are bomb-spamming parties for me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:42:31 AM by Nwbi »

Drake

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 05:04:21 AM »
by the way zun had help with the pofv art

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »
I haven't actually played the games.  Frankly, though I'm interested in shoot-em-ups, I've never been any good at them--hand-eye coordination and reflexes aren't my strong points.

Instead I've watched the various world-record replays.  (I've only gotten up through IN, because I only got sucked into Touhou a couple of months ago.)  I've always loved watching kick-ass players.  For IaMP, it seems no one bothers with score-running, so I've watched some top-end tournament matches instead.

Oh, and I have used Cheat Engine to run through IN and IaMP...not to play them, but to screen-capture all the dialogue (and for IaMP, the endings).  I used replays to do the same for EoSD and PCB, before I figured out the Cheat Engine trick.  For EoSD, PCB, and IN, I got the endings by extracting the images and text from the data files.  Yes, I'm a compulsive nutjob.  I just like having easy access to that stuff.

For PC-98 stuff, so far I've stuck to watching YouTube replays and playing the music in Hoot.

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »
Youmu is my favorite PoFV Character.
I'm patient enough to time out Flawless Nirvana but not patient enough to perfect lunatic stages.
I never was a huge fan of MoF or SA (besides music.)
I love The Fantastic Legend of Tohno.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »
1. I don't really like most of PCB's music.
2. PoFV's Extra is bullshit hard because the first character you get is Komachi.
3. When I hear music, I see rhytmic danmaku.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »
this isn't too much different than anyone else except... maybe 2 or 3 people

"Ikaruga sucks b/c memorization asdfghasfh"

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
1. I think ZUN's art is all right.

2. I create stuff in danmakufu (even though I'm too lazy to release much).

3. I think The Highly Responsive to Prayers is a fun game.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
Here's one that I just thought up of after playing MoF again...

16: I've captured Sanae's last spellcard only twice....