Author Topic: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth  (Read 43774 times)

Re: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:40 AM »
yep it looked just like that

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:52 AM »
oh boy oh boy oh boy

guess I need to git gud then

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 03:09:23 AM »
i think it was triggered by getting
Spoiler:
The Negative

makes sense since it's The Dark Room

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 03:46:04 AM »
Can anyone explain how the
Spoiler:
pink room with the die pip-like holes that rerolls the floor you're on
works? I managed to run into it as a
Spoiler:
2-key room
, so I'm not sure what it means yet.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:51 AM »
there is so much new shit and we all have NO IDEA how they work or what they do :V

Spoiler:
at the start of the dark room on the second run there's a HUGE GOLDEN DOOR with a big key on it but normal keys dont do shit

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »
Also I've only been playing on Hard.  This might explain
Spoiler:
why I was able to head to Sheol
I'll have to look into this, then. Might also explain why I haven't seen the alternate floors yet (Cellar, Utero, etc).

Cain still confirmed to be broken. XD
Spoiler:
Toxic Tears + Mega Close Range Tears make for an excellent combo...Though I think picking up a Pentagram earlier might have helped me more.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 04:15:29 AM »
Okay so supposedly the thing I found is what the clock is indicating between floors.  If you can reach and defeat Mom in time it causes it to spawn.

Supposedly that's the condition anyway.  Considering I got there in about 20 minutes and it's only the first six floors and all, it's not too strict.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »
I went into the
Spoiler:
pink die-pip item randomizer room
(??) as Azazel and... let's just say the new upgrades didn't cooperate well with
Spoiler:
Azazel's mini-brimstone shot type.
:derp: I proceeded to move through the game in utter confusion as my shot (which no longer did anything when hitting the shooting buttons) fired seemingly randomly from different parts of the room from swirling vortexes in space. I have no idea. Pressing the buttons a lot or not so much or in rhythms didn't even appear to influence it... if they did the delay was too long for me to understand.

Yet it was fun, but... really, really bad for actually doing things. I made it to Mom's Heart somehow, but there was no hope. And since it occurred from my items being randomized, I can't say what did it, or even what combination of multiple things at once :V

Anyway, understanding the mechanic behind
Spoiler:
SUPER BOSS RUSH holy shit
is good, because it nets you unlocks and puts a Star on your clear notepad in character select. Completionism, ho!

This game seems to have a lot more crazy powerful items (or combinations of them, at least) but the difficulty feels like it's scaled up as well. On the whole, though, it's a lot more interesting. But... yeah, a concerning amount of my runs today got overwhelmingly powerful from just a couple upgrades, even if they tended to end in death anyway simply due to it being crazy hard to make a net gain of HP in the Womb... especially when it gives you utero half the time.

And I hate the miniboss that
Spoiler:
sinks under the floor and then completely disappears, leaving you with no idea where it's going to pop up, so you probably end up standing on it or running into it when it surfaces sooner or later. Because it's fairly large. And seems to center on you sometimes, but not enough that you can just keep moving to avoid it, nope.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:04:53 AM by Selery »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:07 AM »
Spoiler:
I just saw someone open that huge door in The Dark Room.

Inside it is a secret boss that literally reaches Touhou levels of bullets.

MEGA SATAN.

The runner died when he fired a huge barrage of bullets which then split 4-way like the parasite shots but stronger.

Oh and he has no HP bar.

Also trhere was a giant room in Depths where Mom Hands kept falling. If they directly hit me they would return me to the start room.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:36:59 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Just letting those Playstation Vita/PS4 guys on the fence know...

If you have PS Plus? Free.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
Someone was mad at me because I got the Bible right before the Mom's Heart fight so I just obliterated her
I wasn't so much mad but more disappointed because I wanted to see what you'd say to what it does now. :V

And getting to proceed after Mom isn't exclusive to Hard Mode but merely bound to you getting a Devil Room after the fight.
Spoiler:
Getting an Angel Room even let's you go to the Cathedral now.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
I wasn't so much mad but more disappointed because I wanted to see what you'd say to what it does now. :V

And getting to proceed after Mom isn't exclusive to Hard Mode but merely bound to you getting a Devil Room after the fight.
Spoiler:
Getting an Angel Room even let's you go to the Cathedral now.

It's because they are not functionally identical anymore or generated using the same code.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
Finally got to beat Mom's Heart using Maggy. Having max hearts, a sun card, cancer,
Spoiler:
splash damage tears and a curse charged that make you shoot lot of tears at once
helped a bit.
That being said, one of the item I took (not sure which one) gave me the curse skull teleportation effect which was annoying and made me took forever to beat the Mom's fights which outherwise would have not took forever.
Then again, said effect game me a free secret room and allowed me to skip most of the first Womb floor so it's not all bad either. ^-^

One of the new item is the Unicorn Stump which the effect is to make you stumped
Spoiler:
to make you invicible for a short while but prevent you to attack or damage the enemy. I used it to cheese the blood bank! :D It could probably also works with stuff like Big Fan and Poison Touch.

Oh, one of the item you unlock from investement is "Option". At first it doesn't seems to do anything beside putting a mark on your head but the effect will become very obvious when
Spoiler:
you'll clear a boss room
. I suggest getting it early for best results.
Also, the investment device
Spoiler:
tend to get stuck
when you overuse it. X D

Pro tip : when you have the max of red hearts, you can't pick up special hearts even if your red heart are empty. White hearts seem to be an exception.

You can wish for anything!

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Yeah I think your health is actually capped at 12 now while before you could have as much health as you wanted but it just wouldn't show on the screen.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:46 PM »
Also, the investment device tend to get stuck when you overuse it. X D
It's deliberate.  Your donations carry over between games as far as unlocks go, but it's meant to be a long term progress thing.  Otherwise if you got a good run going you could easily invest 100+ coins in a single run and sort of destroy the entire point of the thing.

By the way you can bomb it in a pinch to get some coins back from it - but more than you will recieve will be deducted from the invested total.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Haven't completed a game yet, but I've been thoroughly enjoying this.

Isaac is a pretty scary little dude sometimes.

With the
Spoiler:
three-dollar bill (random tears each room), Monstro's lung (charge up and vomit blood everywhere), and whatever item gives you HUGE but short range tears
I was literally vomiting/crying gigantic scythes in a room.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
I don't get any cool stuff. I've got none so far. The closest I've got to crazy tear combos was Perfume+Pinky Eye+Ludivico Technique, which basically made my tear a disco ball.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:07:16 PM by Raikaria »

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »
By the way, while I did have pretty good item luck on top of it (e.g. Spirit of the Night kinda clinched it, actually sad it was my first clear so only through Depths), the Computer Savvy challenge should be pretty easy generally given the starting loadout. As far as I could tell/remember from last night running it it's
Spoiler:
Technology, Technology 2, Spoon Bender
(they're all original/Wrath of the Lamb items so actually look-up-able :V)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
I BEAT MOM/MUM.

I've never done this. Ever.

I got quite a lot of early HP upgrades, in part due to some special room which needed 2 keys in Basement 2 which
Spoiler:
Acted like a Forget Me Now
. All this excess HP let me get quite a few Deals with the Devil, as well as the
Spoiler:
level reset
. I had Brimstone, Lord of the Pit,
Spoiler:
Goat's Head [IDK what it did but it was my 1st deal] and Headless Baby

But the stars of the show were in the midgame. I picked up an Empty Bottle; which let me store Hearts. Then I got a Bloodbank. Then I found that there were Full Health Pills in the rotation. Then I got Litt' Baggy, which let me carry 2 Full Health Pills. Let's just say I played the bank enough to not only unlock the Blood Bag, but get one too, and then still have enough to play Demon Judgement and get the Virus.

So for me, this is huge.

Also I unlocked Cain that run. Because Bloodbanks.

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
HAHAHA

I JUST HAD A GREAT RUN AS CAIN

It started ok, and I picked up maggy, rotten baby (the one that shoots blue flies), and a bunch of other buddies.

Then I picked up flaming tears.

THE ENEMIES MELT BEFORE ME.

By the time I faced mom, I had damage at 1 short of max damage. Plus so many tear effects and familiars, and flying! When I beat mom, I took the bonus
Spoiler:
boss rush murder room
and picked up this cool item that
Spoiler:
made enemies and bosses explode into spiders when they died
Spoiler:
Mom's Heart
didn't stand a chance.

Seed code:
Spoiler:
42WJ
EGYZ
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
Just letting those Playstation Vita/PS4 guys on the fence know...

If you have PS Plus? Free.
Got it and played it on my Vita today. Handles pretty well, but then I decided to fight Satan and then...He kinda murdered me. :V Still, while it's a really solid port, the game chugged a bit on one boss (
Spoiler:
Mama Gurdy's orange projectile vomit
) and it doesn't have some of the PC version's graphical effects (no pixelated transition between floors, or the flash of light when you eat a pill). You can also apparently "Sync" your progress, possibly between you PS4 and Vita? I'll have to try that sometime.

I also looked up some Hard Mode info, the good thing is that you don't need to play Hard Mode to get any special items (AFAIK), but beating each of the goals with each character on Hard gives you more achievements/trophies.

I am kinda sad you can't go past the 12-heart limit now, but then again, with stuff like
Spoiler:
Placenta, Fanny Pack, Leech and the Empty Bottle Raikaria mentioned
, you don't quite need it.

Also, if you find
Spoiler:
the mask known as Infamy, pick it up. It gives you a chance to negate damage when you get hit.

The Habit isn't nearly as broken as it was in the past (it only seems to charge up one bar per hit instead of three), but it's still worth grabbing.

Has anyone tried to access the "100+ specialized seeds" yet? Maybe we should start up a list of useful seeds that contain certain items/bosses/etc.

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 01:44:29 AM »
EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL

Also I forgot even in the original (well, in WotL) a lot of the challenges only went up to Mom in the first place, not the Heart. So even without the clears on challenges being my first/second clears they probably wouldn't go further :V
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:48:51 AM by Arashi Kurobara »

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 01:57:59 AM »
Actually I saw someone play a challenge mode that went past the heart into the cathedral :V

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 02:21:35 AM »
Actually I saw someone play a challenge mode that went past the heart into the cathedral :V

Yeah it's always been a case-by-case thing IIRC.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »
I just did a Cathedral run on my Vita, actually! And I'm pleased to say that
Spoiler:
Isaac has been completely overhauled. He doesn't counterattack, and he uses a lot more danmaku attacks. The second phase has him summon angel babies instead of his last, and on his final phase, he MOVES and rains down laser beams in a wave-like attack (you can usually avoid the attacks by sticking to the corners, though).
A very fun fight, and I look forward to defeating
Spoiler:
him
again in future runs. :D

Also, a couple more items:
Spoiler:
Holy Shield lets you take one hit per room, and there's an NES cart that lets you jump. And it's infinite uses. You can even jump over rocks and pits, I dunno if it'll protect you from bullets though.

I personally really liked this run, so I'll share the seed with you guys: ATXH HG0X (not sure if that's a zero or an O but I'm assuming it's a zero judging by its shape)

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 04:48:28 AM »
Also, a couple more items:
Spoiler:
Holy Shield lets you take one hit per room, and there's an NES cart that lets you jump. And it's infinite uses. You can even jump over rocks and pits, I dunno if it'll protect you from bullets though.
Spoiler:
Holy Shield is too good of an item

Spoiler:
Anyway beat Satan on my second run after going into the secret shop (?) and skipping directly into Sheol and destroying everything with Holy Shield + Splash tears + 99x Butt Bomb and Bob's brain (which takes on bomb modifiers too)

Spoiler:
Also holy shit the Mom gauntlet
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:55:13 AM by Bio »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »
I also looked up some Hard Mode info, the good thing is that you don't need to play Hard Mode to get any special items (AFAIK), but beating each of the goals with each character on Hard gives you more achievements/trophies.
Let me be frank about that: Thank fucking god

I've been playing Hard and watching Normal videos and I'm pretty sure that I'm familiar with what the changes are:
* Lots more champion enemies.  LOTS.  Oftentimes 1/3rd to 1/2 of the room's enemies will be champions.  They're also no longer guaranteed to drop items
* Bosses are no longer guaranteed to drop hearts on defeat
* Clearing rooms has a massively reduced item drop rate - I've got the entirity of the Caves II without seeing a single heart, key, bomb, etc.

There's a point at which the challenge is fun and there's a point at which it's just not and almost never having enough keys to even open treasure rooms isn't fun nevermind everything else.

EDIT: One of the secret seeds has been found. 
Spoiler:
BASEMENT
causes
Spoiler:
every single floor to be the Basement.  Supposedly forever but who knows.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:30:33 AM by Garlyle »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
But Hardmode gives you cool red borders around your clear-icons! :getdown:

Initially I thought Hard was just what "Everything is terrible" used to be
Spoiler:
but then I got "Everything is terrible" :V

And I love that Technology and Brimstone interact with more items.
Brimstone + Anti-Grav tears + reverse homing
is just hilarious.

Also Mamizou's Tail Gnawed Leaf in combination with the Pinking Shears (or anything that attacks on its own really) is silly.
Pinking Shears got a really huge damage boosts it seems.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
Good Hard Mode runs feel great, sure, but by and large they're kind of just a pain in the ass

that said I just cleared the boss rush on hard because of +damage items and a late Brimstone 8D

And then went Guppy mode again and whooped the final boss even without any HP

also the best goddamn item description in the game

EDIT: And then I beat Stan because Azazel and the first thing I found was
Spoiler:
Li'l Brimstone.  DOUBLE BRIMSTONE?  WHAT DOES IT MEANNNN
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:54:02 AM by Garlyle »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 11:39:48 AM »
It's so easy to break the game with Azazel. :V
Just grab Tammy's head and maybe 1 damage up and one-shot everything.

Also, I want to find Ipecac because it was awesome in the original.
Spoiler:
(I did already unlock it.)