Author Topic: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have some tea and discuss fiction and writing here!  (Read 226420 times)

My only suggestion is to sit and beat at them until something forms.  Occasionally I'll skip to the part I can write and work from there, but I've burnt a lot of hours staring at the screen. 

Oh, I've been fishing for a few days on this one, now. Other elements are becoming clearer, but this (and a couple others) still elude me.
In this case, the bit that I'm missing happens to be part of one of the most vital elements for the whole ongoing plot, believe it or not. It's kind of odd to know much of the how, and the why, but not the what.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Weird, in that Draco's problem is exactly how I do most of my writing.

I'd try to offer advice, but short of you sending me what you've got and letting me draft up the connecting plotlines, there's probably very little I'd be able to do. And then, it'd be a collab, and not your own story. Dunno how well that'd go over for you.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
Honestly, I gotta ask. Am I the only one here who listens to music while writing for a fan fic? When I wrote the fight scene in Kirisame Shenanigans I was listening to stuff like Dance of Curse from Escaflowne. Who else does this?

Jana

• mrgrgr
I listen to music while writing for SanaJana Adventure all the time, and if it's appropriate, I post it in the update. I've only done it once so far though, because whatever I'm listening to doesn't usually match what I'm writing. How about you?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
I listen to music all the time while writing, I can't stand silence.

I usually choose music that fits the atmosphere of what I'm writing at the time.
Though, iirc, one of the chapters of Murder Mystery was written while listening to Black Rock Shooter on endless loop :V

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
I listen to music while writing for SanaJana Adventure all the time, and if it's appropriate, I post it in the update. I've only done it once so far though, because whatever I'm listening to doesn't usually match what I'm writing. How about you?

UN Owen was her? get's spammed to Makai and back on my end while I update Flandre quest. I took a rough count, over 50 remixss of UN Owen on Youtube, and only 3 or 5 are any good(such as sound sepher) imo. For Kirisame, I bounce between like 30 songs. From a characters theme, to Love Colored Master Spark to Maidens Cappricio ~ Dream Battle to Tales of Nights

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
I've tried to listen to music while writing in the past, but as with everything else, it proves too distracting. My driving instructor even told me I have no business listening to music while driving; my concentration is just too narrow, easy to break.

Dasher-Crash

• Baka Master
  • Ability: Harnessing the power of the BSOD
In opinion, the best way to write fiction is to write from another angle. You may think of something unexpected, unnatural, interesting or even horrid, mix it up with Gensokyo, and boom. Alternatively, you may want to read other fanfictions and try to think of something unconventional.
On your mark, aim, action!!!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
I first got into using FireFox because of its ability to have multiple tabs in one window. Now I can have YouTube up and listen to music constantly while I do anything online.

My cellphone sucks at everything but making phonecalls, and playing music. And it plays music more than I make phonecalls.

My secondary laptop is loaded to the brim with school notes, story notes, stupid-silly pictures, and all the collected music I've ever downloaded in the past four years since getting it. This laptop sits next to me in bed (I have a Queen size bed to myself) and plays music at a low volume while I go to sleep.

I also do my writing on that laptop to begin with. In short, everything I do is to music, and for various reasons, not the least of which is inspiration. I have a segment in EverWander planned out - for whenever/if ever I get back to it - that'll involve careful timing of the writing to make it match up with some music. I imagine it'll be a pain in the ass but if I can pull it off right it'll make the story that much better.

Netwarrior

• Yeah that's a very pleasant attitude to have
In opinion, the best way to write fiction is to write from another angle. You may think of something unexpected, unnatural, interesting or even horrid, mix it up with Gensokyo, and boom. Alternatively, you may want to read other fanfictions and try to think of something unconventional.

I did that. Anyways, I do it with every Fic I write.

When a child dies, we call the corpse an ADULT.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
Music while writing
I can write in total silence. But for action or emotional scenes I use music to help me write out the 'emotions' of the characters better. Depending on the track I use, the dialouge may come out completely different than what I originally planned.

I do this for both Writing and Drawing, at least when producing Touhou related fanworks. I look for what people never do and never think of and do it myself. I would atest this with my utter hatred of doing what everyone else does, or seeing the same thing done over and over with no change.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Vicks

• Hurr Durr
  • WRYYYY
For me, whenever I think up a new fic, I think up of a badass creed. The entire story goes round to a character saying that.

Unconventional, and explains why mine are never regularly updated :3
I am a thinker. I cast light on various concepts. I can unveil the world's dark secrets if I so please. And yet, there is a single enigma that even I cannot clarify.  - Renko Usami

I am a dreamer. I wander through countless dreams. If I will, I can even walk the roads of the land of illusion. And yet, there is a single vision that even I cannot grasp. - Maribel Han

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Something that's been on my mind lately with regards to long fiction pieces (as a Writing Contest assignment has taken on a life of its own, and I'm now actually working a semi-serious fiction piece that's shaping up to go way beyond what I normally write) - I've come to the conclusion that it's best to write the entire thing beforehand, but post it a chapter at a time, with a couple days between chapters.

Bear with me here. Let me explain:

The problem with dumping an entire lengthy piece into a thread - or posting a link to it - is that, if we're totally honest with ourselves, most people are not going to read the whole thing. It's just not going to happen. I realize this is also the case with chapter-by-chapter pieces, too, but a giant wall of text is a lot more intimidating than easily digestible 1000-word morsels.

Secondly, there's the discussion. One giant piece, all at once, is pretty much going to result in comments like "Wow." and "GJ" and "This was really great, thanks for sharing this!". There's nothing wrong with any of these comments in themselves, of course, but it's not really a discussion of your story. No plot details or character developments are being discussed. Rather than a lively and engaging conversation between readers about your story, it's just flat praise that doesn't tell any other readers anything about your story.

When you piece out your very long story in easily-digestible chapters, though, you help ensure that your entire story will get read, eventually, one chapter at a time. Between chapters, if you allow a window of time for discussion, readers can comment, complain, speculate, criticize - they can engage, in other words, which will entice more readers to check out what they're missing here.

However, there's a danger in posting chapters as you write them. It's called real life. Even if you are certain that you're going to have the time to write and post each and every chapter in full and on schedule, you really cannot account for outside influences beyond your control interrupting your work. And even if you move to a cabin on top of a mountain with nothing but your laptop and a powerful connection to a satellite hook-up, you also cannot account for the dreaded writer's block, which can strike anyone at any time. By posting as you write, you run the risk of falling behind schedule, disappointing your readers, and weakening their trust in your ability to deliver.

Another danger of posting while you write is that the process of writing a story is never about going from A to Z. As you edit, you will go back, changing details, moving plot points forwards and backwards, removing previous dialogue that contradicts things said later on, or vice versa.

In the end, I think it's best to have the entire story written and polished beforehand, but to kindly serve it to your readers, one chapter at a time, allowing them some room to discuss the story thus far, without leaving them to wait to long before the next chapter arrives.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
Keeping things short is what I planned for Gourmet's Road, being I usually write large chapters in whatever story I may have started. It's a change that I'm willing to experiment with to see if I should cut back on what I write and go for a simpler approach rather than writing walls every time I update.

Although keeping a constant schedule for updating is something difficult for me, being I operate on impulse. If I feel like writting I'll write, if not I don't. If I force myself it'll only succeed in coming out shitty and rushed. I should start doing it though, it helps to keep me focused on what I need to write and also keeps my wandering interest on the story I need to write (a huge flaw with me is that I go elsewhere and get into other shit which distracts me, if I can stop doing this I can get alot more done).

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
I've come to the conclusion that it's best to write the entire thing beforehand, but post it a chapter at a time, with a couple days between chapters.

That probably is the best way as far as overall quality goes.  If your story is more a series of collected scenes you can get away with writing in chunks, but having long term editing potential is a good thing.  Also with the story already finished you'll never have to worry about giving up in the middle of it.

On the other hand not all writers can pull off something like that.  I know the long fic I'm writing right now would have just quietly died if I hadn't gotten reader input.  I never really had enough interest to write the middle part of the story before now.  I know the quality will suffer a little, but on the other hand it'll actually get done.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Yes, keep in mind I'm speaking for myself here. Just wondering what y'all think.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
That's what I'm doing with my Kaleidoscope Origins story. I've got the damn thing up to nearly 70 pages already, and aside from what I posted in the WWC thread, none of it is up yet.

Maybe I should start posting it - 70 pages is long enough to buffer out the remaining time till I get it finished...

I'm noticing something like that "lengthiness effect" from Helepolis's "Smooth Gentlemen" fic. The chapters themselves are of reasonable length, but he's updating so often I feel like I barely have enough time to react to one chapter before he's already banged out the next one. It's still good, but I feel vaguely overwhelmed.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Yes, keep in mind I'm speaking for myself here. Just wondering what y'all think.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Right now I feel like i'm in a pinch, because the stuff that i've come up with for later chapters don't really mesh up perfectly with the first chapter of TnT. I could retcon it, but that's not an ideal solution. :/
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
I mostly agree with your points, Ammy, but it overlooks one of the major motivating factors for a lot of writers, feedback.

One of the most inspiring things are responses and discussion. It does a lot to help force one out of a rut. Banging the whole thing out beforehand, without a bit of indication there would be any interest,  means it's pretty likely you'd have a hard time pulling yourself out of a rut. I find others encouragement keeps me knowing that there is actual interest in what I write, so I don't feel I'm wasting my time when I hit a hard patch.

Mind you, this doesn't deny any of your points about blocks and realify getting in the way.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
Yeah, comments show that people are interested really do help while in a rut, which I have hit hard btw. What are some good ways you guys know of or use to help shake free of a rut or a writing block, a point when you can't come up with anything decent?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
Yeah, comments show that people are interested really do help while in a rut, which I have hit hard btw. What are some good ways you guys know of or use to help shake free of a rut or a writing block, a point when you can't come up with anything decent?
1 - Keep banging at the problem until something shakes loose.  It's my most common method, and it usually works over the long term, but it's still painful.

2 - Write something else quick.  Sometimes writing a short story will clear my mind.  On the other hand it can also get you distracted fast, so this only works if you're dedicated to the work you want to continue.  Also don't worry too much about the quality of your quick work.  Sometimes it's better just to write.

3 - Time.  Just put it away and make a note to come back to it.  Write it on next months calender page or something.  After a bit of time sometimes ideas will just flow better.  Once again you'll need to do something to keep you writing.

4 - Don't get stuck.  This seems like stupid advice, but it's my biggest problem.  If you have the idea WRITE IT NOW.  It doesn't matter about time, or if you haven't finished the middle yet, write that part down.  You can edit it later.

Now if I could only practice what I preach better....

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
1 - Keep banging at the problem until something shakes loose.  It's my most common method, and it usually works over the long term, but it's still painful.

2 - Write something else quick.  Sometimes writing a short story will clear my mind.  On the other hand it can also get you distracted fast, so this only works if you're dedicated to the work you want to continue.  Also don't worry too much about the quality of your quick work.  Sometimes it's better just to write.

3 - Time.  Just put it away and make a note to come back to it.  Write it on next months calender page or something.  After a bit of time sometimes ideas will just flow better.  Once again you'll need to do something to keep you writing.

4 - Don't get stuck.  This seems like stupid advice, but it's my biggest problem.  If you have the idea WRITE IT NOW.  It doesn't matter about time, or if you haven't finished the middle yet, write that part down.  You can edit it later.

Now if I could only practice what I preach better....

1. Very Painful, and my best idea's recently all involve someone being killed... I'm not aiming for that direction though :V

2. Good idea... Disgaea + Touhou anyone :V

3. I'm a gamer, on summer vacation, who sleeps in till noon. Time is the one thing I can't keep track of, setting a decent chunk of 30 min+ seems crazy to me, but still a good idea.

4. I'm trying to not get stuck ;-; I got a few random ideas, but one is already in use somewhat X_X

Thanks, I'm glad to have some advice to see me through, I don't want my fic AND quest to die on me cause of this.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
I try not to worry about it if people don't comment. Though *try* is the functional word. Sometimes the silence is deafening.  :ohdear: I know you can't expect everyone that reads to comment on it every time, but I still feel like a kid on Christmas that keeps checking under the tree or in the stocking for a present I may have missed. :x
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
I try not to worry about it if people don't comment. Though *try* is the functional word. Sometimes the silence is deafening.  :ohdear: I know you can't expect everyone that reads to comment on it every time, but I still feel like a kid on Christmas that keeps checking under the tree or in the stocking for a present I may have missed. :x

Yeah this. All the worse because I tend to write during the dead time of day.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
Feedback? I wouldn't mind some of that. For Mystic Mutation, I've gotten to the point where I just don't really care anymore. I beat myself in the face with my keyboard to come out with a chapter that I know will revive the dying story, and...I don't get shit to show for it. Feels like I did everything for nothing, y'know?

Feedback? I wouldn't mind some of that. For Mystic Mutation, I've gotten to the point where I just don't really care anymore. I beat myself in the face with my keyboard to come out with a chapter that I know will revive the dying story, and...I don't get shit to show for it. Feels like I did everything for nothing, y'know?
A thousand times this. (And people wonder why I never feel motivated to update my fanfics ...)

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
I'm not sure if this is an answer, an idea or even true for anyone but me, however I find that the ease of commenting and communication increases how much feedback I both give and receive.  For the VN I'm on chat discussing chapters, and the feedback there is usually far more in depth then anything I've given or received on a forum.  And there's the added bonus of being able to ask about specific parts you worry about.  On the other hand I have no idea how this would help a forum.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
As a writer, feedback is something so luxury I could never have. Most of the comments outside were
I didn't want to disturb the flow.
With that reason, they didn't comment on my fic, but rather talk about it somewhere else (yahoo messenger, Hamachi,...) But still, it's quite sad to see the whole topic with just your walls of text.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Sadly, readers severely underestimate the power of their feedback; there is perhaps no better way to inspire the author you're following to continue than by commenting. Even half-assed generic comments are superior to nothing at all.