Author Topic: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have some tea and discuss fiction and writing here!  (Read 226614 times)

DeathShot Catharsis

• I'm a bad poster who can't take any criticism!
Okay seriously you need to tone that down.

I don't see what the problem about having a large variety of names in a work of fiction is. I think I'm entitled to name them whatever I please.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I don't see what the problem about having a large variety of names in a work of fiction is. I think I'm entitled to name them whatever I please.

I didn't click on the link he was showing you - because TVTropes is a terrible, terrible place - but I'm guessing he's talking about pairing characters together where one has some wondrous, otherworldly name and the other has a very mundane, every-day name.

Personally, I think it's worth a chuckle as a gimmick in a comedy, but it's been done a lot.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yeah, that's basically what the trope "Aerith And Bob" is. It's like, you're naming your group Arthos, Porthos, Aramis, and Phil. Or Larry, Curly, Moe, and Grignr. It's justified if Aerith and Bob are explicitly from different nations/cultures/whatever, but either way it's a bit silly.

Tengukami

"By what name are you known?"

"There are some who call me... Tim?"

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
"By what name are you known?"

"There are some who call me... Tim?"
THE CONJURER!

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
To be fair, there's some odd variety to names in canon Touhou anyway. Although there may be patterns to it -- I think just about everyone in Gensokyo who has a non-Japanese name is some sort of youkai, aren't they?

...If you don't count Marisa.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
To be fair, there's some odd variety to names in canon Touhou anyway. Although there may be patterns to it -- I think just about everyone in Gensokyo who has a non-Japanese name is some sort of youkai, aren't they?

...If you don't count Marisa.
Considering that the amount of humans that are in the series is really underwhelming, I wouldn't be too surprised. :V

Sure, you're allowed to name them however you please, but it's still rather jarring to have Jennifer and Tanner be best friends with Aeon and Grigio. It looks like you're just choosing names based on Rule of Cool more than anything else.

DeathShot Catharsis

Sure, you're allowed to name them however you please, but it's still rather jarring to have Jennifer and Tanner be best friends with Aeon and Grigio. It looks like you're just choosing names based on Rule of Cool more than anything else.

Remember, Tanner and Aeon are from two completely different societies, where their names make sense and fit.

In HellFire Catharsis, Jennifer is an American and Grigio is French. Plus, it takes place in modern day times, where it's quite common for people to quite differenf names.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:28:19 PM by DeathShot Catharsis »

Okay, just as long as this is clear in-story.

Coin Spire

• Eerily Disguised Shanghai Doll
  • Tea time is the best
Exposition is when you put the storytelling on hold and explain a lot of stuff.

It'd be like giving a history of the feud between Kaguya and Mokou instead of actually describing the fight they're having on this particular day that your story takes place.

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't know that's what it was called.

...Arthos, Porthos, Aramis...

Those are the Three Musketeers, am I correct? For some odd reason, I found the whole post a bit entertaining when I saw these three names.

The name discussion seem to remind me of Poe's Thingum Bob...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:28:42 AM by Coin Spire »

Themes:Aiki/Shiku

Those are the Three Musketeers, am I correct? For some odd reason, I found the whole post a bit entertaining when I saw these three names.
Yes, they are, thanks. |3

Also, I'm guilty of wall-of-text exposition. It's one of the reasons my RNL arc in my comic was such crap ... In my prose, though, I try to keep it to single paragraphs at a time, and break it up so I only reveal it on a "what is relevant right now" basis.

DeathShot Catharsis

I RETURN

So, that Marisa/Tagento story's sorta going well.

I'm lying, of course.

Well, it's not going to hell, but I have one big problem: I'm really crappy at adding detail to stuff. Dialougue? Sure, that's easy. But actually detailing things? Oh, god, I fall apart. Those who believe in the way of the trope would recongnize my writing style as Beige Prose. I'm just really bad at this kind of thing. Plus, even though Marisa is narrating the story herself, she rarely ever gives her opinion on things, espicially when there's a conversation going on: She usually just sits there and reports what's being said, but she almost never makes some kind of comment on the events around her.... witness (Note that these are first drafts):

Marisa is introducing Tagento to her house.

Inside my house, Tagento admired quite a few of my possessions. "Looks very.....Japanese...."
"That's because it is Japanese."
"How'd a little girl like you get a house like this?"

Oh, there you go with that little girl bullshit again.
"Look, I'm twenty-two. That's a fact."
"But....you look like a ten-year-old......"
"Why? Is there something about me that makes me look so young?"
"I guess it's the hat."

I wondered what he thought about me without the hat, so I took it off. "Well, how about now?"

"Well....you look older and younger at the same time. You look older because you don't have the ridiculous hat on. On the other hand, You appear younger because of your hair and your face....but I must say, you are rather cute, like my....n-nevermind."

I didn't know why, but his comment made me feel better for some reason. I didn't want to admit it, but I blushed a little.
"Oh, sorry."
"It's nothing. I mean it. It's just....I dont think anybody has ever called me cute-well, lots of girls, but no guys....They all think I look like a little girl, like you did."
"Well, you look like a little girl and a grown woman at the same time...but it's that strange contrast that makes you cute." He smiled in a sort of smirk, but it wasn't insulting. He clearly was a person who loved to caustically insult people and rearely hand out compliments.

I was about to say something, before I realized I hadn't told Tagento my name. "Wait, I haven't even told you my name! I'm Marisa. Marisa Kirasame."

"Well, I must thank you telling me your name. I was wondering if you had one at all."

"Um...come on into the guest room."

I led Tagento into the guest room, a room I had furnished with things from the outside world (I picked them up at Rinnosuke's). It was made in case someone from the outside went through the boundary and landed up near my House, which, in case you bothered to read what I had just wrote,  had just happened. However, I ended using it as a reading room--hey, don't get mad at me, sofas are comfortable!

As such, it was absolutely packed with books. And it seemed that Tagento really loved books, because as he saw it, he basically had an orgasm. Seriously, he acted like I didn't even exist and bolted for the shelves, and he must've spent at least an hour picking ones off the shelves, putting some back, picking up some more, putting some back....by the time he was done, he had a armful of literally 20 books.

".....So I guess you like books."
"What made you guess?" He said in a light-hearted tone.

I dont know, the fact that you spent an hour picking them out?
"I guessed."
"...It's not use trying to get a straight answer out of you." He pulled one off the top shelf. "But I noticed something. A lot of these are magic books. I mean, magic doesn't exist."
"Yes it does." I deadpanned.
"No, it doesn't-"
"It does. We're going to Yukari."

....That isn't winning any awards. On the contrary, I currently believe that above excerpt would make literay critics want to gouge their eyes out. However, I have a tendency to insult myself and believe everything I do is crap, so maybe I'm overreacting. Well, am I?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
A few more little sarcastic asides from Marisa, or maybe a little more detail in her descriptions of the actions.

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
Been reading the Advent Cirno comics again and I have to ask...has anyone ever made a story about the Scarlet Devil Sky Pirates? Patchy as a mechanic is just so...awesome!

Coin Spire

• Tea time is the best
I have another question, if it isn't too much trouble.

This is about mixing Japanese language with an english fiction:

As her prayer rose in tempo, Reimu became composed and seemed to be enveloped in white light. Reimu clasped her hands together and shouted at the top of her voice.

"Kami Gi [Ya Hou Ki Baku Jin]!!"

Would it had been better to put the english name instead? I know its a matter of preference but if it adds too much confusion, it loses it charm.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Just leave it like that. In fact, I would even recommend putting it in Kanji and hiragana.

If people want to translate it, they can use the internet.

It's like how I've been adding sentences in German to my fiction without giving any translations~

If it's done right and fits the story, I think using another language at times adds to the charm and atmosphere.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
It's like how I've been adding sentences in German to my fiction without giving any translations~

If it's done right and fits the story, I think using another language at times adds to the charm and atmosphere.

Difference being, though, so far the German hasn't ever actually been plot-important. You're also not going overboard with it, keeping it simple and restricted to one or two lines per story.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
It's really best to keep your readers in mind when it comes to things like this. If they're english speakers, putting random bits of other languages into it is pretty much saying "Hey guess what, you aren't allowed to actually know what this means!". So if you're being intentionally obscure, it's a good idea to make certain the payoff is worth it. It can give a good for'n feel, but there's a whole lot of things to keep in mind when doing that. Otherwise you get into stuff like people who speak english but then say oui instead of yes, which no one actually does.

I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be done without a very good reason.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Well, it appears to me Coin Spire only wants to use the Japanese for attack/spellcard names, which I personally find okay.

Also, I think if one uses another language, best use some simple sentences that Google Translate will get right, so that everyone has a fair chance of understanding them.  :D

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Yeah, if you're going to make your readers have to make the extra effort to understand your story, when they're doing you the favor to reading it to begin with, at least make it not so difficult.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
I have another question, if it isn't too much trouble.

This is about mixing Japanese language with an english fiction:

Would it had been better to put the english name instead? I know its a matter of preference but if it adds too much confusion, it loses it charm.
While attack names are normally okay to leave in Japanese, in Touhou spellcards are an intricate part of the setting.  For example I knew that was Omnidirectional Demon Binding Circle from the description, but the spellcard declaration itself looked wrong.  I don't consider it a serious distraction, but I'd suggest using the English names in this particular case.

Coin Spire

• Tea time is the best
Thank you for the opinions, it was very helpful.
I'll try to keep the pointers given in mind.

Well then, I should try to at least make my future works easier to understand.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:06:02 AM by Coin Spire »

Tengukami

Hey, I was wondering: should this be updated?

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Yes, however, its hard to remember that part of the wiki even exists...

Then there's the fact that the number of updates at this point is up Tenshi's skirt to high heaven. :ohdear:

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
That looks like something that, if it were really up to day, would be a sprawling useless mess and kinda there mostly for vanity.

But this is what wikis are for. Go for it as you all please~

Tengukami

Koakuma's Writer's Parlour
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
I think it could well be organized and easy to navigate if changed to be so. Nothing saying it must keep its current format, nor that it would be vanity (unless you only added your own material). It could be great.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

IBakaChan

A quick question:
Is this place for Touhou fanfics only, or can I post and ask for advice on, let's say, a Hetalia fanfic?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
A rare Baity!Post appears!

Any type of fanfic flies here. Go nuts (figuratively speaking of course).

For example, this isn't Touhou-related. Well, unless you want to count a derivation of a derivation of a derivation but that's besides the point.

So yes, you can post and ask advice on well, just about writing fiction in general here.

Spoiler:
Well, this is from what I'm gathering by lurking around anyway
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:15:26 PM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
A rare Baity!Post appears!

Any type of fanfic flies here. Go nuts (figuratively speaking of course).

For example, this isn't Touhou-related. Well, unless you want to count a derivation of a derivation of a derivation but that's besides the point.

So yes, you can post and ask advice on well, just about writing fiction in general here.

Spoiler:
Well, this is from what I'm gathering by lurking around anyway

MISINFORMATION >:(

Nah, it's cool. My recommendation is that you might want to put something like [Hetalia] in the subject so people don't assume it's a Touhou fic at first glance. This might not be the ideal audience for some followings. Though you'll probably be able to find a Hetalia fan or two around here they might be closer than you think write nao plz :<
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook