Author Topic: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have some tea and discuss fiction and writing here!  (Read 226614 times)

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
That sounds good, but like, can we put other's picture in our fic? Like Erebus and Roukanken said, some don't draw :(
It's nice to have a picture in a wall of text to lighten the mood... I love it when reading Haruhi.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I use images I find on Pixiv. I then give credit by linking to the original at the end of the story.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
Oh yes, I remember that. I spent the whole night reading your fics xD Good stuffs
But it does look like only fitting for blog, I mean, the formatting of the page.

Posting in forums like MoTK may better be edited, like our signatures, short and wide.
Most pictures out there are portrait-like (high and freaking big) so it will cause some difficulty.

Tengukami

Well, Ruro, the rough draft of the erotica piece is complete. I just need to type it up. You still up for being a beta tester?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Well, Ruro, the rough draft of the erotica piece is complete. I just need to type it up. You still up for being a beta tester?

Sure. I'll admit that half the reason I wanted to do this is because I'd like to see if it's possible to pull off erotica in Touhou without it seeming artificial, forced. But I have faith in you, Ammy \o\

I gotta say, thanks for posting about writing rough drafts on paper. It's great fun to write out the first five-six pages during breaks at school, and it helps get my thoughts organized in a way that just typing wouldn't.

Tengukami

Well, writing first on paper was born from loads of free work time and no computer. But I've always outlined.

As for the ero piece, let's say it's less about sex than sexuality. If that makes sense. Anyway, we'll see how it flies.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
RURO! It's all your fault! ;_; I'm having problems focusing on anything without my mind drifting off and daydreaming about all the things I want to write about to expand my story. I think you infected me with the writers bug. >_> Also the Shiki and Byakuren bug too.

Another thing that's been on my mind.. What do people think about background music? My muse is fueled by the music that I use as the backdrop for the scenes I want to put to paper, and I'm wondering how best to implement that in my upcoming fiction. Youtube links inserted at certain points in the writing? Any other ideas?
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Alfred F. Jones

RURO! It's all your fault! ;_; I'm having problems focusing on anything without my mind drifting off and daydreaming about all the things I want to write about to expand my story. I think you infected me with the writers bug. >_> Also the Shiki and Byakuren bug too.

Didn't I warn you beforehand? It's those Yamathrocytes, people. :3

As for background music; I don't recall the last time I saw music referred to in the writing. Oh, wait. Erebus' Mystic Mutation did that. Apart from that, though, I've never seen links to the music in writing. I suppose it'd be fun to try out. Isn't internet writing great fun when it comes to doing new things?

Well, there is one thing I have to say for music. I tend to write battles and action sequences to music. Something about the dynamism of a powerful song makes my heart race and the story flow. I will someday write a battle with Ryougi Shiki's MBAA theme in the background, just you watch!

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
If anyone ever write about the First Moon War, don't forget to put THIS as bgm. Totally epic, LoTR bows.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:05:37 PM by Fortevn »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have a tea and discuss fiction and writing here
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Well, there is one thing I have to say for music. I tend to write battles and action sequences to music. Something about the dynamism of a powerful song makes my heart race and the story flow.

I actually wrote the whole of TnT listening to Cosmic Mind, Fate of 60 Years, and Emotional Skyscraper on loop. :V

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
Re: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have a tea and discuss fiction and writing here
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
How? I did it many times but ended up mumbling to the melody >_> Could never concentrate like that. I admit the music gave a lot of new ideas tho. Like when you're trying to make a pun but dunno how... suddenly "Eirin, Eirin!" :V
I think you messed up the URL there.
Sorry didn't know I have to leave the quote marks. Fixed.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
listening to Cosmic Mind ... and Emotional Skyscraper on loop. :V

...Something seems off about this statement, but I can't put my finger on what exactly...
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
...Something seems off about this statement, but I can't put my finger on what exactly...

Obviously, the sheer awesome that Byakuren radiates has made it so that Nobu just can't get her theme out of his head. Fate of Sixty Years is the only other song that stands up to it, and so it remains separate. But I digress. :3

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 07:46:53 PM »
Yeah I've done the whole BGM in writing before for MM. Although, I pretty much abuse this mechanism in other works (like in my UGW games and such). I really like it when music is incorperated into fiction, for it helps me get into whatever event that's taking place. Choice of music for me is rarely Touhou-centric for some reason though and is usually what I'm listening too at the very moment I'm writing (I use music as a way to help me write and think).

All this being said, I can't wait til' I finally get to the point where Yumemi unveils the
Spoiler:
Ultimate Chimera
...because this will be playing. Swear to Shinki.

Spoiler:
Trust me, aside from sounding badass, the title itself can be emphasis on why I chose this
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Tengukami

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
Ruro: The story's done. Check your PM's.

WRT background music: I can't do it. It either distracts me, or the emotion gets me so caught up that I can't rein in the story with the necessary restraint. Mind you, I'm writing most of these pieces at the office, where I'm surrounded by constant background chatter, and then typing these up at home, where my daughter will be playing her DVDs in the same room with me.

If I'm really into the process of writing, I tune everything out as much as possible anyway, so background music won't have any effect anyway.

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
I seem to have a problem with writing things chronologically.  I have the next chapter in my fic almost done, but what I have in mind right now is a scene near the end of the fic, and I can't think of anything to finish up that chapter.  It would suck if the next chapter was the final one done...

Badass bookworms

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
I seem to have a problem with writing things chronologically.  I have the next chapter in my fic almost done, but what I have in mind right now is a scene near the end of the fic, and I can't think of anything to finish up that chapter.  It would suck if the next chapter was the final one done...

Outlines. They really work.

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:42 PM »
Outlines. They really work.
Outlines are fine.  Filling in the details of the story afterward is a bitch.

Badass bookworms

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »
Obviously, the sheer awesome that Byakuren radiates has made it so that Nobu just can't get her theme out of his head. Fate of Sixty Years is the only other song that stands up to it, and so it remains separate. But I digress. :3

Oh whoops. I was thinking of  空の帰り道 ~ Sky Dream as 'Emotional Skyscraper' there for some reason. :V I needed the mellow song as a backdrop to the non-fighting scenes, and the character themes to embody Byakuren and Shiki (also doubled as an awesome backdrop to the fight scenes.)

Waaaa, I wish I didn't have so much schoolwork and stuff to do, I want to wriiiiiite ;__;

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Ruro: The story's done. Check your PM's.

You got it, sah o> When do you want me to send you my thoughts?

I have the next chapter in my fic almost done, but what I have in mind right now is a scene near the end of the fic, and I can't think of anything to finish up that chapter.  It would suck if the next chapter was the final one done...

Creative writing class taught me that if you really have that stuck in your head, write it down in a separate document. White Rose is known on my flash drive as chireiden.doc, but occasionally I get ideas and snippets from later in the planned timeline. Fearing that I will forget it, I write it down in chireiden_extras.doc and get it out of my head, leaving me free to go back to the relevant storyline. Give it a try, see what happens!

Waaaa, I wish I didn't have so much schoolwork and stuff to do, I want to wriiiiiite ;__;

You are one of us now. ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

Tengukami

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »
You got it, sah o> When do you want me to send you my thoughts?

Just as soon as you can.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
I cannot write with any sort of music playing at all. Much too distracting for me.

As for outlining, I'm doing precisely that for my next projects, including (especially) my next long Touhou fic. Really helps knock off those overlooked plotgaps and anemic feeling scenes.

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
On the subject of using images along with writing, I think it can really add to the story, as long as it's well-done and doesn't basically turn into a manga. I've drawn pictures for my LPs before, but I've never drawn for fanfiction before (although considering CmE is the first fanfic I've written in at least five years :V).

As for music, I don't like having it while I'm reading stories. It can help getting into the mood for writing (for example, I listened to this while trying to write a romantic scene one time), but it kind of ruins the experience of reading for me when I'm getting distracted by the music ):

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
Seeing as how Sara, from Everlasting Wanderers, is a musician, it wouldn't make much sense for me not to at least MENTION some kind of music. And I will admit, I've been listened to a lot of specific songs recently, and I'll link to them in the parts of the story that they've influenced (when I get around to writing them again >.>)

I'm toying with the idea of slipping a link into the story to play the music being played in-story at the time, but I don't know how well that'd work. I read hella-fast; I have no clue how fast or slow everyone else here reads, so I couldn't exactly get the timing right.

I suppose the best way to do something like this would be the 'more is less' approach that someone mentioned for pictures here; just post the song, and don't specifically mention when it ends in the story. Then, from there, don't go overboard with the music.

Gpop

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 03:21:25 AM »
Ah Ruro!!!

What happened to my chapter!?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 03:22:57 AM »
Ah Ruro!!!

What happened to my chapter!?

I forgot Wouldn't it count as breaking your vow of abstaining from Koishi if I sent you my review? >:D

But ah, you're right. I'll send you proofreading comments as soon as I get over this sudden head cold >_<

Gpop

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
I forgot Wouldn't it count as breaking your vow of abstaining from Koishi if I sent you my review? >:D

Probably...>.>

But yeah, once the week is done I'll go over the review and post the next chapter.

Although I really didn't like this chapter, the next one is what I've been really been meaning to write up. It'll be very interesting >.>

Tengukami

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:15 AM »
If you're sick, Ruro, you can pass my story to another librarian. I didn't realize you had prior obligations there. But if you're still up for beta testing, go right ahead.

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
I'm up for beta-reading if anyone needs it.