Author Topic: BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~  (Read 41194 times)

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
BloomDev v1.0.2
I don't recommend actually using this engine. I'm leaving everything untouched for archival purposes, but it's pretty bad.
Description
BloomDev is a new application designed to make creating Touhou danmaku games very easy. It has a built-in code editor and interface for creating the bullets, characters, and enemies that will appear in your game. And BloomDev compiles your project into a distributable .exe application and .dat datafile so your game can execute all by itself! Games made in BloomDev run on Bloom Engine 2, the same engine used in Iridescent Bloom. In other words, the engine will automatically update itself inside your game as I release new versions, even after you distribute copies!

Important info:
- I realize now how glitchy and bad the editor is. I'd recommend editing the files outside it for now, and use the editor only for compiling and configuration!
- The language used for coding is called GML, see info below
- Stage files must be edited outside the program for now
- Please ask for help
- I'm not very good at structuring topics...

I'll be compiling some documentation soon, but for now if you have any questions, please PM me or something.

Help for learning GML:
What is GML?
How can I learn GML?

Screenshots:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?z94qv3vdr7df6n9
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:59:16 PM by Dark Kitsune »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: BloomDev v1.0.0 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:40 AM »
Interesting. Let me see how it works.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
It looks interesting but:

1- Why does it need to change my Windows registry?
2- Ahhhhh the enemies's step code looks pretty complex :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
Huh? I never programmed it to change the registry... Maybe it's something from Visual Basic? Because I used VB to make it.

Oh, and I'll be adding more things to the engine soon, such as dialog and an actual end game screen..

The enemy's step code isn't that complicated, it just uses a pattern generated with Bullet Pattern Studio.
I included Bullet Pattern Studio in the zip. You can use it to generate code for spell cards and enemy patterns, just export as a GM8 code and paste it in the code editor, in a logical place.
Here's a tutorial on how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIl2ia1_qBQ
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:03:03 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but it's very cool that you're sharing it :D

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Some feedback:

It looks nice so far, but there are a few things that bug me:
1. I'm confused about any form of player/enemy/boss/bullet sprites that are animated, how would one implement them? (How far does the spacing need to be between subimages, is there a restriction on sprite/subimage size, etc.)?
2. I watched the bullet pattern studio tutorial, I'm assuming BPS exported code is compatible with BloomDev and should go into the step event? (since the draw event is nonexistent in BloomDev)
3. You have tabs for making players, bullets, enemies, player bullets, but not bosses and spellcards (unless they're variants of enemies, in that case I'm as blind as Rumia in her own darkness).  I hope that will be remedied in a later version.

I still prefer Game Maker 8 over this, but that may change in the future. You are off to a good start though!

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »
1. I'm confused about any form of player/enemy/boss/bullet sprites that are animated, how would one implement them? (How far does the spacing need to be between subimages, is there a restriction on sprite/subimage size, etc.)?
It automatically divides the total size by the number of subimages it requires. Just look at the example game for details. And bullets cannot be animated.
2. I watched the bullet pattern studio tutorial, I'm assuming BPS exported code is compatible with BloomDev and should go into the step event? (since the draw event is nonexistent in BloomDev)
Yup.
3. You have tabs for making players, bullets, enemies, player bullets, but not bosses and spellcards (unless they're variants of enemies, in that case I'm as blind as Rumia in her own darkness).  I hope that will be remedied in a later version.
It's not broken. You create the bosses and spellcards in the stage files. Look at the example game files.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:53:06 AM »
I've been looking over this a bit. So, do you use GML in the code view boxes? I tried to make a spell card but never watched the instruction video, so on one hand I have complaints but on the other I may have just missed something.
Also, when on the stage tab, hitting the "Open for Editing" button does nothing that I can see.

This looks pretty good, keep up the good work.

EDIT: I just noticed that the button opened a number of Window Explorer windows. So I guess that's what the button does.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:12:01 AM by Imosa »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:34:32 AM »
I've been looking over this a bit. So, do you use GML in the code view boxes?
Yes. You can also generate a spell card with BPS and then export as GM8 format and paste it in a step event. You also have to set the variables at the top to the bullets you want it to shoot and stuff.

I tried to make a spell card but never watched the instruction video, so on one hand I have complaints but on the other I may have just missed something.
Please, if you have any complaints, voice them.

EDIT: I just noticed that the button opened a number of Window Explorer windows. So I guess that's what the button does.
Oh yeah, I gotta make it stop auto-minimizing the new windows...

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »
Woooohooo I made one spellcard HAXXEEED PWNED 1337 it looks pretty cool I think. I only couldn't fix the boss sprite :(

* Spellcards doesn't have timelimit?
* The screen in the bullet pattern editor is bigger than in the game, so I needed to fix boss position in the generated code:
* When I create a spellcard using the editor, which difficult is considered there? I can't beat my own spellcard on lunatic =(
* If you use single quotes in the spellcard name (like "Shikigami's Shot"), it crashes the game :P

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:55:12 AM »
Woooohooo I made one spellcard HAXXEEED PWNED 1337 it looks pretty cool I think. I only couldn't fix the boss sprite :(

[Image Removed]
Lookin' pretty good :P I like the bullets you chose here, they go well together.
And you can't just use any boss sprite directly from the Touhou datafiles if that's what you tried to do there. It requires a bit of editing, just look at the boss sprite sheet in the example game. The engine automatically breaks the sheet down into a set of 5 frames, each 1/5 of the width of the whole sheet. The first 4 frames are for the normal animation. The 5th frame is an optional image that can be used for attacks. (I'll document how to do that later)

* Spellcards doesn't have timelimit?
Gah, somehow I keep forgetting to add that...

* The screen in the bullet pattern editor is bigger than in the game, so I needed to fix boss position in the generated code:
I'm gonna try making a redesigned version specifically for BloomDev, with the same screen size and stuff.

* When I create a spellcard using the editor, which difficult is considered there? I can't beat my own spellcard on lunatic =(
Export the spell as you would like it to appear in Lunatic. It bases the difficulty modifications around Lunatic.

* If you use single quotes in the spellcard name (like "Shikigami's Shot"), it crashes the game :P
That's because the sprite-font database doesn't have graphics for ascii characters above a certain value. (I think ? is the highest) The official Touhou games actually can't handle single quotes either, that's why you never see them in the games.

And in other news, the next engine update will add extra 2D and 3D drawing layers so you can create more complicated 3D scenes, and custom effects like rain and fire.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:03:16 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Imosa

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:02:48 AM »
Well, I checked it out a little more and the Bullet Pattern Studio is certainly lacking. Is it still being updated? Did you make it? Criticism is a little hard because a lot of problems stem from obvious draw backs such as no lasers, and the fact that slaves can only orbit the enemy.
It's unintuitive for the slaves to only be positioned by radial coordinates. I wanted to make something like Marisa's Light Blast "Shoot the Moon" and I'm not sure its possible (ignoring the fact that the game can't make lasers).

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 06:12:09 AM »
(Please see my last post, I added some more details about boss sprites)

Well, I checked it out a little more and the Bullet Pattern Studio is certainly lacking. Is it still being updated? Did you make it? Criticism is a little hard because a lot of problems stem from obvious draw backs such as no lasers, and the fact that slaves can only orbit the enemy.
It's unintuitive for the slaves to only be positioned by radial coordinates. I wanted to make something like Marisa's Light Blast "Shoot the Moon" and I'm not sure its possible (ignoring the fact that the game can't make lasers).
Lasers are perfectly possible (3rd stage of Iridescent Bloom). It just takes a bit of knowledge of GML and creativity.

Here's the code I used for lasers

create.txt:
fx_emit_small(x,y,c_white)
smartsound_play(snd_laser)
visible=0
alpha=0
ac=0
stopped=0
dir=0

step.txt
if stopped=0 {
    dir=direction
    speed=0
    x=xstart
    y=ystart
    ac=1
    visible=1
    timer=-1
    stopped=1
}
else {
    if timer<=0 {
        if ac=1 alpha+=ac/20
        else alpha+=ac/10
        if alpha>=1 {
            alpha=1
            if timer=-1 timer=30
            ac=-1
        }
    }
    else timer-=1
}
image_angle=direction
image_alpha=alpha
if alpha>0.7 cast_deathline(x,y,x+lengthdir_x(360,dir),y+lengthdir_y(360,dir))
if alpha<=0 and ac=-1 instance_destroy()

And if you want glow effects, you'll have to go to the folder and create a draw.txt file and put this in it:
if stopped {
    draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add)
    draw_sprite_line(sprite_index,0,x,y,x+lengthdir_x(360,dir),y+lengthdir_y(360,dir),image_blend,image_alpha,max(image_alpha*4-2,0.5))
    draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal)
}

And finally, the sprite should be one of those colored oval bullets, facing to the right.

--------------------------

And if you want non-radial spells, you can always have bullets shoot other bullets..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:14:58 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Imosa

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
That isn't for Bullet Pattern Bullet Pattern Studio is it?

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
That isn't for Bullet Pattern Bullet Pattern Studio is it?
No. Put the codes in the files for a bullet. If you navigate with the file browser to the place where your BloomDev project is saved, then open the Source folder, then open the bullets folder, you can access the code files for the bullets directly without BloomDev.

Imosa

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
Ok, this post was criticizing the bullet studio, not BloomDev.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
Ok, this post was criticizing the bullet studio, not BloomDev.
Well you create the spell card in BPS, then you export it into bloomdev and set one of the bullet types to a laser bullet you make. So it's really not that hard to make lasers...

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »
But is there a way to import bullet code to BPS? Otherwise there is no way to test lasers.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 03:22:26 AM »
But is there a way to import bullet code to BPS? Otherwise there is no way to test lasers.
Eh, not yet. You can compile and test the game though...
Sorry, I've been busy making big changes to the engine lately. I'll work on BPS next.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
Nice one. Would try scripting for couple months, but there is hurdle.

The problem is when i try to load and create new project, there is error when creating new source file (e.g. config.cfg).
This preventing me from getting creational screen.

I am using Windows 7 and probably have GameMaker Studio 1.0 installed.

Next time I will post the images.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:46:27 PM by Vendetta »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Nice one. Would try scripting for couple months, but there is hurdle.

The problem is when i try to load and create new project, there is error when creating new source file (e.g. config.cfg).
This preventing me from getting creational screen.

I am using Windows 7 and probably have GameMaker Studio 1.0 installed.

Next time I will post the images.
Please do post the images, because a few people have had that problem, but it's never happened to me.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
BloomDev v1.0.1 Update
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 12:23:45 AM »
Okay, just updated the link to the new version. It fixes a few bugs and a new tool for viewing spell cards outside of the game has been added.

And the new version of the engine should be out soon (it will auto update) and it will allow advanced users to create cool background effects , like trees, mist, and rain.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:26:16 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Re: BloomDev v1.0.1 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »
Here's the picture, maybe it's about .Net errors i think.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
Here's the picture, maybe it's about .Net errors i think.
Look at the error, it somehow replaced all the backslashes with yen symbols... Pretty sure that's not my fault. You might want to try updating your .net framework.

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
Look at the error, it somehow replaced all the backslashes with yen symbols... Pretty sure that's not my fault. You might want to try updating your .net framework.

That happens if you change the computer language to japanese, so probably has nothing to do with the error.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
That happens if you change the computer language to japanese, so probably has nothing to do with the error.
Okay. But still, try updating your .net framework.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
Well my game updated itself with this new version, it is saving the score but when I play it shows the hi-score in the wrong place. Maybe you set the value to the wrong variable :P

Also I was playing with the BPS then I made some wrong choose and it started to create 20000 bulllets on the screen and the editor frozen. You should create a panic button to stop the simulation :P

PS: The time counter when it's yellow is too big :x

( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
Well my game updated itself with this new version, it is saving the score but when I play it shows the hi-score in the wrong place. Maybe you set the value to the wrong variable :P
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Also I was playing with the BPS then I made some wrong choose and it started to create 20000 bulllets on the screen and the editor frozen. You should create a panic button to stop the simulation :P
Haha, the [omni] patterns can really cause problems if used wrong. Also, you can right click Ran then click somewhere else to clear the bullets.

PS: The time counter when it's yellow is too big :x
oops, I got to switch the yellow and red sizes.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:01 AM »
Update for the spell viewer tool:
- Changed bullet file loading method
- Added difficulty changing
- Fixed some nonexistant variable issues

Imosa

Re: BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
Why Game Maker? GML implements arrays very poorly, and it's a scripting language, which tend to run slower then compiled languages. Plus, GML is interpreted by LUA, which I heard is also a slow language. I guess these didn't turn out to be a problem since you've already been working with Game Maker, GML, and this engine?
From what I've heard, and experienced to some extent, Game Maker isn't bad. However, it's meant to make game making accessible to the less computer (specifically coding) savvy user, and as a result it becomes exponentially worse with increasing complexity. Do you think that's true?
GML has functions restricted to the full version of Game Maker. Can we use those restricted functions?

I've got some patterns on my mind that I want to try making, so I really want to try your program. I actually decided to go with Danmakufu ph3 because I kinda felt it would take me longer to learn your GUI then it would for me to pick up how it's code worked. Now that I've made my first pattern in Danmakufu I think I might try to implement the same pattern in Bloom Dev and see how they compare.