Author Topic: Option to delete posts?  (Read 7376 times)

Option to delete posts?
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »
I mistakenly made a post meant for one thread in another, and when I looked for a way to delete it there was none.
The Help section says there's a way to delete posts under Modify, but there's no option to do so there. I've heard that the delete option was removed; is this true?

Fiction: August Star in Autumn Sky Eastern Wonderland Story Book 1

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Option to delete posts?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »
Yes it was removed.  Just report the post and a mod or janitor will take care of it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Code Slasher

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
Wait, that's not good.  What if you put something on a thread and then reconsider and want to get rid of it fast?  Shouldn't there at least be a way to edit it?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
You can still edit your own posts, so just edit and remove the relevant text if it's really that urgent.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Code Slasher

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:29 PM »
You can still edit your own posts, so just edit and remove the relevant text if it's really that urgent.
Ha, I'm one of the administrators for a similar forum and I didn't even notice it!  Thanks, man.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:12:35 PM by Code Slasher »

Matsuri

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »
Actually, you couldn't earlier since you were still a newbie.  You recently accumulated 10 posts and are now a member, which allows post editing. :P

Code Slasher

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »
Actually, you couldn't earlier since you were still a newbie.  You recently accumulated 10 posts and are now a member, which allows post editing. :P
Oh wow, that would probably be why.  Thanks.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
Being able to delete your own posts would open up the possibility of causing shenanigans by posting something, especially something other people disagree with or something inflammatory, and then removing your post after people have replied to it. This is an annoying troll gate that can be and is used on several forums as well as youtube.

In regular use of the forum, cases where the post actually should be deleted, because it was and accidental double post or something, are rare and thus can be taken care of by moderators easily.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Code Slasher

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »
Being able to delete your own posts would open up the possibility of causing shenanigans by posting something, especially something other people disagree with or something inflammatory, and then removing your post after people have replied to it. This is an annoying troll gate that can be and is used on several forums as well as youtube.

In regular use of the forum, cases where the post actually should be deleted, because it was and accidental double post or something, are rare and thus can be taken care of by moderators easily.
Actually, I'd disagree.  That does not seem like a common troll outlet on our forum.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »
Actually, I'd disagree.  That does not seem like a common troll outlet on our forum.
No offense, but I'm not sure if your forum is that big or well known enough for people to bother, where as it seems like anything touhou will have a much higher chance of trolling just due to it being touhou related.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »
Noone cares that you run a forum or that x is used there.  Here there is a legitimate concern of malicious use of delete powers so the decision was made to   restrict delete powers to only moderators.  If you accidentally doubleposted, just use the report feature and a mod will clean it.  If you want to change your post there's an edit button.

And this is your last warning, stop making your posts red colored.  The color tags are not there forr you to make your text eyesearing and unreadable.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Code Slasher

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
You know, if my posts were like everyone else's, then that would actually make it more difficult to read.  Ever been to xbox.com?  Their forums have allowed colored text for years.  Because they weren't allowed to have fancy signatures, they had to have some sort of other way to identify themselves.  Thus, colored text was accepted and widely welcomed, despite certain monitors forcing out the color too much.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
Their forums have allowed colored text for years.
Just because one community does something does not mean other communities will, should or must do the same.
Because they weren't allowed to have fancy signatures, they had to have some sort of other way to identify themselves.
And here you counter your single valid argument yourself.
despite certain monitors forcing out the color too much
And here you bring a fine argument against your point.

Seriously, you have an avatar and a signature. If you want to stand out, make quality posts. Don't do something that makes peoples eyes hurt as an attempt to get other peoples attention, especially not if several moderators tell you to stop it.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Code Slasher

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
How would I know if they were monitors if all that I could see were that they are Idiot Princesses?

What I meant by signatures is that since almost everyone has a picture in their signature, some other way of identification must be found.

*cringes as another wave of flames comes from Mokou's followers*

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »
How would I know if they were monitors if all that I could see were that they are Idiot Princesses?
Miku, a.k.a. Fate-chan, TSO, etc., happens to be the head admin/developer here, and pretty much keeps the forum together.  She just doesn't use the admin userlevel.

What I meant by signatures is that since almost everyone has a picture in their signature, some other way of identification must be found.
The best signatures are subtle and simple, and doesn't piss people off.

I suggest you just lurk around a bit, take it easy, and see how things're done here, and then you can enjoy yourself.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »

lrn 2 read usernames noob :V

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »

You do realize that you told an administrator to address something to an administrator, right? :/

The reason we have a height limit on sigs in the first place is so they aren't huge bleeding-eyesores that cry out for attention. And the combination of avatars, signature, and username have worked pretty well for identification purposes, so I don't see where the problem is.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Matsuri

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Usernames, avatars, and signatures should be all you need. Using colored text in your posts does nothing more than

[matsuri]look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me[/matsuri]

:V

Cut by Nobu: Wavelengths, yet again <3