Author Topic: New Writers Contest  (Read 37798 times)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Re: New Writers Contest
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2011, 07:48:59 AM »
Less then two weeks to go, but still plenty of time to start from scratch and get in an entry!  Entries end at 3:00am February 1st PST.  I am pleased with what I've seen.  But I believe there are many authors still out there who can make an entrance as well.

Thanks to our first three entrants.  I'm piecing together reviews right now, though some of the other judges want to go through all the stories at once (to not lose that new story smell) so you'll get them all after the judging. 

Just as an administrative note: capt h. if you want to add that to your story edit your original post for the ease of the judges who haven't seen it yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the future brings.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
I have a story that I just recently published over at fanfiction.net that hasn't seen any reviews.  It can potentially fit both subjects at the same time, but is somewhat on the longish side (a little over 10,000 words).  Would there be an issue for me to submit it here?  Would the fact that it's already published somewhere and that length be problematic?  I can either paste it into here or provide a link to where it's already at (a single chapter story, but there's a second chapter because I felt like explaining things in great detail that were intentionally left out of the story proper; should not actually be considered part of the story).

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:36 PM »
Bah I won't get anything in here, partly because the themes don't really appeal to me but mostly because I can't pull out a story much longer than 500 words unless I'm really engaged.
I might write something out of an earlier class assignment but it probably won't fit into this thread  ::)
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
@ Iced Fairy - I'll add it to the original link, but I was thinking the original story would be better if instead I subtracted any reference to Mokou, Cirno, or Kaguya. I only left it open ended so I had room for new chapters, and I only added the epilogue for my own personal author appeal rather than for the sake of quality.

Eh, if I should cut back, I'll let the reviewer tell me so. Editting post.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
I have a story that I just recently published over at fanfiction.net that hasn't seen any reviews.  It can potentially fit both subjects at the same time, but is somewhat on the longish side (a little over 10,000 words).  Would there be an issue for me to submit it here?  Would the fact that it's already published somewhere and that length be problematic?  I can either paste it into here or provide a link to where it's already at (a single chapter story, but there's a second chapter because I felt like explaining things in great detail that were intentionally left out of the story proper; should not actually be considered part of the story).
Feel free to submit it.  The length will only really affect how specific a review is, and we don't care where else it's published (all my stuff is up on FF.net as well).  I would suggest double checking it yourself before dropping it in, and as I said, the length of a work affects how specific a reviewer can get.  But if you feel you need more general tips instead of detailed critiques we're happy to accept it.

Please do give us the full formatted text instead of just a FF.net link though.  it's easier to judge that way, and FF.nets enforced formatting is sickeningly bad.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2011, 04:22:29 AM »
Um, all right...  I guess here goes nothing...  It's my first and only story I've ever put any effort into that was in first person perspective; please be brutal.

I was humiliated.

No matter how hard I tried, those four? invaders? just bobbed and weaved around my bullets, blasting past me like I was nothing.  I wasn?t even supposed to be there, but I couldn?t sit back while my home was being attacked.  I left the castle, despite my mother?s warnings; I waited for them at the entrance to the city, my two dolls standing by to support me.  They attacked in turn, each one looking like they were fighting for different reasons.

When it was all over, they flew past me; the one in red-white riding the turtle simply nodded like it was as to be expected, the one in blue-green with the ghost tail smirked as she passed me, the one in red-green carrying the umbrella just looked like she took delight in causing pain, and the one in purple riding the broom? she just shrugged and grinned, speeding off to join the other three.

I tried my best out there, but it apparently wasn?t good enough.  When I got back to the castle, mother berated me for disobeying, but she didn?t outright yell.  When the intruders managed to reach the inside of the castle, I was told to stand back; I watched as mother unleashed the full extent of her powers, and still she couldn?t beat them.  I couldn?t believe my eyes; Shinki, goddess of all Makai, wasn?t able to put them down.  She agreed to halt the tours of Gensokyo and just let them go?

I was outraged.  Despite having destroyed half of Makai, these were being allowed to just walk away.  I couldn?t let this happen, and I knew just how to do it.  In the library is one book that no one is allowed to touch.  I ran in there and found it still there, hovering in the center of the magic circle that contained it.  It?s called a grimoire, and it?s said to contain very powerful and forbidden magic.  I knew that if I used that I could stop them, so I reached out for it with both hands?

It was both the most wonderful and the most horrifying thing I?d ever experienced.  I could feel the magic coming off of it, even while it was closed.  For several minutes I just stood there, letting the magic wash over me.  Once it was all over, I held the book close to me; I was far too small to hold the book like a normal person, so while it was closed I just clutched it to my chest.  I looked around the library? there was no one there because the castle had been evacuated by mother when it was known that the invaders were headed for the castle.

I flew as fast as I could, now aided by the book, and managed to actually head them off at the gateway between our worlds.  I opened the book which now had the title of Grimoire of Alice on it, and found myself automatically casting a spell which sealed the four of them in my own world; my own Wonderland.  I remembered my mother reading me a story about another little girl named Alice and her adventures and imagined my own world in that same way.

They were confused at first, but soon found their bearings and started heading straight for me.  I put as much resistance as I could in their way, but still they just blasted through.  Again, they managed to reach me, and not even the magic of the grimoire was enough to stop them.  I was beaten again.

I was so ashamed.  I had once again disobeyed mother, both by taking the forbidden book and again leaving the castle without her permission.  I knew that disappointment wasn?t the only thing she was going to feel, and I couldn?t return to face her?

Once the illusion of the world I had created was dispelled, the four once again looked down on me.  All but one simply flew off without a word, the last one stopping long enough to say, ?That was a nice try, ze.  You?ll have to do better than that to stop us, though!?  She grinned again as she did last time and sped off to follow them.

I looked back to the city and the castle; they were half in ruins, and I wasn?t able to avenge them.  I couldn?t go back, which meant the only way to go was forward; into Gensokyo and the outside world.

I emerged from the cave, looking about me in wonder.  It was the middle of the night; I knew this as we had a 24-hour clock in Makai just the same, but I had never actually seen the night sky before.  A sliver of moon hung above the tree line, and hundreds of stars twinkled.  I clutched the book tightly, and found that at some point after my defeat some ribbon appeared around it and a lock now hung from the ribbon.  There was a heaviness in the pocket of my dress; a key was there, as if by magic, and I knew it belonged to my grimoire.

I didn?t have time to puzzle over this, however; the exhaustion from the last two battles was finally catching up to me, and I had to find someplace to rest for the night.  There was a forest nearby, and while I had never seen trees up close, let alone a forest before, I knew I could find a branch in the boughs to get some sleep.  I could worry about my surroundings in the morning?

Before falling asleep, I made a mental note that the surrounding air of Gensokyo didn?t seem to have as much ambient magic as that of Makai, at least until I entered the forest, which seemed to have a magic of a different feel in the atmosphere.

When sunlight broke through the canopy, I felt stiff, but surprisingly not hungry nor thirsty.  After stretching and getting feeling back into my arms and legs I began wandering the forest, looking for sustenance despite my lack of hunger.  I did this for a week before finding my way through to the other side.  It was all but pleasurable, however.

No, that was more like my week in hell.

I could feel it; my body was gradually changing.  It was a fact that humans were rare in Makai; the air is said to be poisonous and possibly fatal under the right kind of exposure.  I suppose I was a lucky one to have been found in Makai at a very young age where my resistances and antibodies were still in the process of being manufactured.  I managed to adapt, but was still a human, whereas an older human that travels to Makai can only stay for so long before their body shuts down from the atmosphere.  Only the strongest of human magicians can hope to survive prolonged exposure.

This is not to say that there weren?t side effects to my adaptation.  In actual age when I escaped to Gensokyo I was 14 years old; physically, however, I was residing in the body of a 10 year old.  Because I looked the part, mother treated me like a child.  It probably didn?t help that I was always playing with dolls, though magically animating them to help you do things wasn?t likely the normal kind of playing that little girls would do.

So my growth was inhibited in Makai, and now that I was no longer in Makai my body saw fit to play a little catch up.  I?m still not sure if it was the change in environment that did it, or if it was the book, but either way, I was definitely aging.  If the actual process had been spread out more, I might not have paid it any attention, but as it was, my body was growing by four years in the space of one week.

It was painful.  I grew taller by nearly a foot, and my various proportions filled out to match my new height.  I found the dress I was wearing when I left Makai no longer fit right and was barely able to cover me anymore.  I escaped the forest and spotted what looked to be a village in the distance, and walking into the place it was all I could do to keep my decency as I walked the path and was scrutinized by the humans living there.

The villagers watched me as I wandered; that?s when I met the one that would throw me a lifeline.  She was taller than me by a number of inches and had bluish-silver hair, wearing a blue dress and a hat that looked like it should fall off with barely any movement of her head.  She introduced herself as Keine Kamishirasawa, the schoolteacher of the young children of the village.  Whenever a stranger would appear in The Human Village, she was usually the one to greet them and make sure they weren?t planning to bring any harm to anyone.

She could see me walking about in clothes that barely fit me, looking very tired and lost, and decided to invite me into her home.  Whether this was out of pity or whatever else you might choose to call it I can?t say and I never asked her, but I gladly accepted the invite.  She provided me with a place to rest, as well as food and drink.  At first she didn?t ask anything of me, and for the first week in the village it was like that, with me adjusting to the ways and customs of the people of Gensokyo.

Miss Keine provided me with better fitting clothing, though it wasn?t quite in the style I would have liked; fortunately I had plenty of experience in making clothing for my dolls and was able to make something more to my liking soon enough.  Speaking of my dolls, the two that I had with me on the day of the invasion were still in the pockets of my old dress.  Miss Keine found me animating them with my magic and finally asked something of me for having stayed with her; she asked me to entertain the schoolchildren and assist her while classes were in session.  I felt bad for imposing on her all that time and agreed to help in any way I could.

I was popular with the children and even started taking joy from seeing their smiling faces when I would conclude a small play for them.  I was informed of a small village-wide festival that was planned for a couple of weeks ahead and agreed to entertain for that, too.  It was an exciting time for me, as I was experiencing many new things and all of it was me on my own, no longer being ordered what to do by my mother and not being allowed to go anywhere or do anything.  I felt free.

On the night of the festival everything seemed to be going so well; the villagers had accepted me as one of them and the children all enjoyed my show.  I had crafted a third doll to act with the other two, and while the workmanship wasn?t quite the same due to the materials being different than what I used to be provided with in Makai, none of the kids complained.  The night was gorgeous with the moon and stars shining brightly and the entire village was lit by a multitude of torches.  Yes, everything was great?

Then I saw her.

The one in purple from nearly a month previous; I had almost managed to forget that time, but seeing her made it all come back in a rush.  Fortunately I didn?t see her until I had just finished a show, so it didn?t interrupt anything; in fact, she was standing behind the children where some of the adults were applauding my show along with them, that same grin as she had gave me both times I had been beaten.  She didn?t seem to recognize me, and of course who would?  I no longer looked like the little girl in the bright blue and pink dress with the blue bow in her hair; I now actually appeared my age, and was wearing a pale blue dress that reached my ankles, a white shawl around my shoulders and pink ribbon tied at my waist, with a red hairband.

I announced that I was taking a break and severed my magical connection to my dolls, picking up my book and walking over to a table where pitchers of water and an assortment of food was laid out; although I couldn?t say I was actually thirsty, I still felt the need to get a glass of water to calm myself.  Of course, as I stood there taking a drink while clutching my book, who else but the witch girl would approach me.

?Hey, you?re not too bad; you new around here??

I swallowed the gulp that I had just taken and set the glass back down.  ?Yes, I? just arrived a few weeks ago.?  I could barely speak the words, but still tried my best to sound as natural as possible.

She eyed me for several moments and lingered on my grimoire.  Her eyes widened in recognition and she said, ?Wait, I recognize you now!  You?re that girl from Makai, ain?tcha??

I froze.  I wanted to run away, but I knew she was faster than I was.  The moment she tells the villagers, I just know that I?ll be tossed out, and where else could I go?  Back to Makai?  Back to mother?

She saw my apprehension, though, and held her hands in front of her.  ?Oh, don?t worry; I?m not gonna tell nobody.  I?m just surprised to find you up here is all.?

I felt a little bit of relief wash over me, but it was replaced almost immediately by suspicion.  I narrowed my eyes at her and asked, ?Why?  After everything that happened back home, why would you choose to leave me be??

She grinned again.  I was at a complete loss as to what it was supposed to mean.  ?Well, if you want a fight that bad?  I just meant that these villagers seem to have taken a liking to you, and I?m sure the kids?d be disappointed to find that you weren?t going to be around anymore.?  She looked around at the gathering of the villagers before turning back to me and saying, ?Oh yeah, we haven?t introduced ourselves, have we?  Name?s Marisa.  Kirisame Marisa.?

She held out her right hand, and I realized it was something of a formal greeting.  I held out my own hand and grasped hers with it, realizing that she had a much stronger grip than I was expecting.  ?Alice Margatroid.?

The festival wound down as the evening went on; Marisa continued to watch my shows, though I can?t for the life of me figure out why.  After my last show, she approached me with the most unusual request I had ever heard?

?I don?t know where you?re staying right now, but how about you stay over at my place tonight?  It?ll be like a sleepover!?

She sounded so enthusiastic about it, and I was genuinely curious as to why she would want to do something like that.  ?Um? okay.  I guess that would be alright.  I need to go get some things first though??

?I?ll go with ya!?

She followed me back to the home where I had been living, and upon our arrival we were met with a voice saying, ?Well well, Marisa Kirisame; not content with mere possessions, now you?ve come to steal my houseguest as well??

Marisa had the good graces to at least look a little guilty at the accusation.  She replied all the same.  ?Aw, come on Miss Keine; I haven?t taken anything from anyone in a long time!  It?s only for one night, I swear!?

Keine chuckled at the response and shook her head.  ?It?s fine, Marisa; just make sure you bring her back in one piece tomorrow, okay??

?Of course, ze!?

I was now a little worried about what was to come tonight, but the way Keine smiled made me slightly more at ease about the whole situation.  I nodded to her and entered the house, taking care to pack up some night clothes and something to wear for tomorrow.  I didn?t have many possessions outside of my dolls and wasn?t worried to be leaving anything else behind.  Once I was ready, I walked back out the front door and bowed to Miss Keine in thanks.

I was surprised when Marisa hopped onto her broom; I thought she lived somewhere in the village, looking to be about the same age as me.  I took to the air and followed her.  I was even more surprised to find us heading for the forest that I spent that agonizing week in.  We came to something of a clearing, and there, nestled in the middle of the forest, was a house.

It was a squat little house, consisting of only a single floor, but seemed like it might be able to accommodate a bit of living space.  We touched down in front of the door and Marisa unceremoniously threw it aside and walked right in.  I walked cautiously behind her and was astonished at what I saw; a single word could describe this house: cluttered.  It wasn?t an absolute mess, but it could at least be a little better organized.  At least it wasn?t filled with garbage; most of it was piles of what looked to be old books.

Marisa cleared off a wooden table near the kitchen and said, ?Home sweet home; make yourself comfortable, I?ll bring us some tea!?

She walked around a counter of some sort and filled a small teapot with water from the sink.  ?Wait, is that a faucet??  ?You have running water here??

Marisa looked up to me and said, ?Yeah; it costs a little, but it?s one o? them conveniences that the Kappa have been tryin? to bring to everyone in Gensokyo.  They hear about all kinds of strange stuff from the outside world and try to recreate it here.?

I nodded and sat down at her table, continuing to look around the room.  The place certainly felt cozy, though again I felt the urge to just start cleaning.  The castle was always spotless; Yumeko took her job very seriously.

Marisa returned with two steaming cups, handing one to me, and sat down at the table across from me.  Being unsure of what kind of tea it was, I held it close and breathed in the aroma; nothing I was familiar with, which would have given me pause had Marisa not taken a sip of her own.  I mentally shrugged and took a sip as well.

I must have made a face or something, because after that Marisa said, ?Aw, don?t like my recipe??

I shook my head.  ?It?s not that; back in Makai we didn?t drink tea.  We mostly had just water, milk, and coffee.?

?Coffee, huh??  It must have cooled down enough for her as she took a big gulp of her drink.  ?Coffee is hard to find around here; only the richest of villagers tend to have any.  ?Tis why we mostly drink tea!?  She downed the rest of her cup while I continued to sip at mine.  ?So tell me, Alice; how is it that you look like this now?  Back almost a month ago you looked like a little girl.?

I started for just a second; that was a question I should have been expecting.  ?I? don?t actually know the reason.  Shortly after leaving Makai, my body started changing on its own.  Now, I at least physically look my own age of fourteen, whereas before I looked no older than ten.?

Marisa stared at me for a moment before saying, ?You?re a year younger than me, huh??  She looked down at the front of her robe and frowned.  ?Younger but more developed than me, just like Reimu??

I blinked in sudden realization of what she meant and promptly turned my head away.  I could feel the faint blush; this was not how conversation typically went back home.  ?A-anyways? what were you doing with them in Makai?  I mean, other than blowing everything up??

She grinned, which again confused the heck out of me.  ?Oh, I?m a youkai hunter, or exterminator depending on who you talk to.  A bunch of foreign fairies and youkai showed up in Gensokyo one day, and Reimu set out to find where they were coming from and put a stop to them.  It wasn?t the first time something like that happened, so I followed her in order to practice my magic and maybe get a share of the glory.  Mima followed next, partly because of me and partly because of Reimu; Mima used to be my mentor for learning magic and she?s kind of like the resident evil spirit of Reimu?s shrine.  As for Yuuka?  I actually don?t know why she followed; maybe she just wanted to blow some stuff up??  She leaned back in her chair and propped her feet up on the table, slightly disgusting me in the process.  This girl didn?t seem to have any polite manners at all!  She continued after putting her hands behind her head, ?We followed the trail of youkai to the cave where the border of Gensokyo and Makai was, and just went from there.  You should know the rest of the story, of course.?  She winked after saying that.

Of course I know the rest of the story; I was part of it.  Not once but twice was I beat by those four.  I set my cup down and put a hand on my grimoire; if Marisa was worried about the gesture, she didn?t show it.

I was startled when she suddenly dropped her chair back down and sat up straight; I very nearly unleashed some of my magic on her when it happened, but stopped myself when I saw she was just taking her hat off.  Wait, no? not just taking her hat off, but reaching for something in a hidden pocket of the hat.

It was a small octagonal piece of wood.  Around the outside of the top surface were a set of markings; trigrams, if I remembered the definition from a book I once read.  She held it out to me and said, ?Check this out; it?s called a mini-hakkero.  I got it from Kourin just before we left for Makai.  He described it as an ?elemental reactor? and it?s supposed to enhance the power of my magic.  You probably weren?t paying attention during our second battle, but it?s the only reason I was able to stand up to what you did to us.?  I was once again surprised at something Marisa said or did; she just admitted that without that tool I could have beat her.  ?Of course, the others didn?t need anything like this; I have to work really hard to train my magic up, but Yuuka and Mima are already really powerful, and Reimu? well, everything comes natural to her.  I?m always behind her when it comes to Youkai hunting ability.?

I could hear a hint of jealousy in her voice when she said this, and it makes sense.  I?d feel the same way if it were me being shown up by someone that didn?t actually work for her accomplishments.  I suddenly yawned, and realized that it was getting to be quite late; I was usually asleep by now.

Marisa got up and took my now empty cup back to the kitchen, then walked back in stared straight ahead, eyes wide as if she just realized she had forgotten something.  ?Uh? heh heh?  I kinda forgot to tell ya that I?ve only got the one futon fer sleepin?; that gonna be a problem??

A term that came up a couple of times in the village popped into my mind at that moment: facepalm.  I didn?t actually do that, but a mental image of myself did.  I weighed my options and realized that I was too tired to make my way back to the village now, so I instead just shrugged and said, ?It can?t be helped; I guess you did say this is supposed to be a sleepover, after all??  She looked relieved at my answer, which I guess makes sense; I don?t think she?s the kind who would intentionally hurt anyone unless they deserved it.  I grabbed my sack with my clothes and asked, ?Um, do you have anywhere I can change??

She pointed towards a closed door and said, ?Yeah, uh, you can change in the bathroom there??  I walked in and found it to be similar to the water closets back at the castle, which was at least familiar to me.

Reaching into my cloth sack I withdrew my only nightgown that I owned; in contrast to what I would normally wear day to day, this was a pale green color.  I carefully slipped out of the dress I had been wearing all day and folded neatly before placing it into the sack.  I then dressed myself in the nightgown and walked back out into the primary living space of Marisa?s house.

Marisa herself had just finished setting up the futon; she was dressed in pajamas that resembled a simple shirt and pair of bloomers.  It was probably what she normally slept in, so I didn?t say anything, as well she didn?t either.  I yawned again as I approached where we were about to sleep; I had little doubt that I would get to sleep quickly this night.  Marisa used magic which I was unfamiliar with to snuff out the lights in her house, and we both settled in, the night quickly claiming me.

?How could you??

I felt quite confused.  Turning in place, I realized I was back in Pandemonium Castle; I was at the foot of the stairs in the main hall, and at the top of the first flight stood my mother Shinki, goddess and creator of everything in Makai.

?Well, are you going to answer me?  How do you explain yourself, running from the castle not just once but twice?  And stealing the grimoire out of the library?  That book is forbidden for a reason!?

I blinked in surprise; mother was yelling at me for the events of nearly a month ago.  I looked down at myself and realized that I was once again in my ten year old form and dressed as I was on the day I left.  I looked up and was about to answer when another voice spoke up from behind me.

?You know that wasn?t proper of you to disobey mother.  You should have just left everything to us.  Now we have to clean up your mess.?

It was Yumeko, head maid of the castle.  It was unusual for her to speak against me when mother was around, partially out of respect for her authority, and partially because she looks up to Shinki as a mother herself, as does all of Makai.

Not taking my eyes off of mother, I said, ?I only did what I had to do; all for Makai.?

My defiant attitude apparently didn?t sit well with mother, because she extended her six wings and was down the stairs in an instant.  Mother has never actually hit me to discipline me, but then again, I?ve hardly never needed to be disciplined.  She gripped my shoulders and shook me vigorously.  ?We put these rules in place for a reason, Alice.  We?re trying to protect you and keep you safe.  You?re the only living human in Makai!?

I no longer had an answer for her.  I looked down at my feet and refuse eye contact with her.  The next thing I knew, Yumeko was right behind me, grabbing at my arms and saying, ?Alice, why?  Why would you forsake your home like this?  Why would you break the rules your own mother set forth??

Two new presences appeared on either side of me; I recognized them as the Witch Sisters Yuki and Mai.  Yuki was proud of her magic, whereas Mai rarely spoke.  They both stepped towards me and grabbed at my hands.  Mai had an expression just like the others, as if to wonder at me for something while Yuki said, ?Answer us, sister!  Answer us!?

I was surrounded and couldn?t get away even if I actually tried.  I still struggled to at least get them to let go, but nothing fazed them.  Finally Shinki said, ?Alice, look at me.?  I refused, though.  She sighed and said, ?Fine, just answer us; why would you do all of this when we told you not to?  You disappoint me enough for leaving the castle when Makai is under attack, then you go off and deliberately take the forgotten grimoire, then flee with it when you can?t succeed even with it.  Answer me, Alice.?  Again, I continue looking away and refuse to say anything.

?Alice!?

?Alice, answer me.?  Silence.  ?Answer me now.?  Nothing.  ?ANSWER ME, ALICE!?

?Wake up, Alice!?

I open my eyes very suddenly; it?s dark around me and I?m breathing erratically.  Where was this?  I was just at the castle and?

No, wait? that?s not right.  I was sleeping over at Marisa?s house.  We had just gone to bed and?

?Oh, good, you?re awake ze.?  Marisa was beside me, sounding relieved to see me awake.  ?Sounds like you were having quite the nightmare, all whimpering and clutching at my shirt and all.?  I realized that I had indeed grabbed it in my sleep.  Blushing profusely, I let go and scooted away a little to give her some room.  We lay there in silence for a number of minutes before she finally said, ?So, you gonna talk about it?  It might help??

I quietly shuddered at the thought.  She was probably right, though.  Steeling my nerves as best I could, I started to explain it.  ?I was back at the castle in Makai; I looked like I did on the day we fought.  Mother and Yumeko were berating me for running off and putting myself in danger, as well as for stealing the grimoire from out of the library.  They then started yelling at me for leaving Makai, and demanded answers from me for why.  For a second there, I thought my mother was going to hit me??  A single tear fell from my eyes as I recounted it.  ?It? only got worse from there; not only was it just mother and Yumeko asking, but Yuki and Mai showed up, too.  I was surrounded and they just kept yelling and asking me why??

?Well, why did you leave??

I blinked.  Marisa seriously just asked me that question.  Then it occurred to me that I needed that question asked, if not by her than by someone that wasn?t mother or any of my ?sisters.?  ?I??  I hesitated, questioning whether this friendship I barely had would be affected by what I was about to say; from my impressions of Marisa, she was so confident in all that she did, and if I told her, all I?d be doing was revealing my cowardice? still, she was now expecting an answer.  ?I left Makai because I was embarrassed and ashamed that I?d been defeated, even after taking the grimoire out of the castle.  I had deliberately disobeyed my own mother and broken one of the foremost rules of the castle.  There was no way I could return to face her after all of that.?

Silence reigned while Marisa processed what I had just said.  When she did speak, though, she startled me yet again.  ?Oh, is that it?  Yeah, I?d probably do the same thing in your position.  Heck, once I started following Mima, I basically abandoned the village and my parents.  Did I ever tell you how Reimu and I met??

It seemed like a really sudden change of topic, such that I couldn?t do anything but answer truthfully.  ?Er, no.  Never.?

Marisa turned to look out the window, the pale moonlight betraying the look of thoughtfulness to me.  ?Well, I?ve wanted to study magic and become a witch since I was a little girl; I would sneak off and read books about basic magic and danmaku and stuff.  A little over two years ago, though, I met Mima one night outside of town while I was trying to practice.  She stumbled onto me while muttering something about getting revenge on some ?Shrine Maiden.?  At the time, I didn?t actually know anything about Reimu or the Hakurei Shrine, so I didn?t know who she was complaining about.  She was intrigued at my attempts to perform magic and offered to mentor me; I jumped at the chance.  After months of teaching me lower power versions of everything she knew, we started the incident.?

I wrinkled my nose at that last bit.  ?Incident?  What do you mean??

She smiled while still facing away from me; maybe she didn?t know I could see her expressions?  ?Well, usually how it goes is some Youkai or another starts up some trouble, and after it?s all good and resolved it goes and gets called an ?incident.?  Mima is an evil spirit, about as Youkai as they come, and extremely powerful.  Apparently the Hakurei Shrine had been destroyed sometime in the previous year and Reimu had gone into hell to try to find the culprit; she found Mima, and while Mima denies doing the deed, Reimu still punished her for it.  I guess that gave Mima the incentive to escape back into Gensokyo to get her revenge.?

?What kind of revenge??

Marisa giggled.  I was slightly taken aback at that, as she didn?t seem the type to giggle.  ?She wrecked the shrine.?  I stared at her in disbelief.  ?Considering Reimu had accused her of doing just that before, she thought it was something like Divine Justice that she should actually destroy it this time.  We escaped and waited for her to show up, and show she did.  Mima sent me out after her first, and I was so cocky that I thought I could beat her; I hardly lasted five minutes against her and that stupid turtle.?  She sighed, though it didn?t sound like a regretful sigh so much as one of simply reliving memories.  ?Mima didn?t last too long, either.  Reimu punished her again and made her promise not to start any more incidents.  Since then, I?ve been following Reimu whenever she went out to resolve anything.?

This was quite enlightening, though I couldn?t figure out why she was telling me this; I couldn?t see the connection to my own situation.

I suppose Marisa sensed my questions somehow, because she addressed that very thing I was thinking about.  ?Once I was a full witch, I chose to leave the village; my parents wouldn?t want me around, since they hate magic in general and would have rather had me taking over their store in the village.?  She paused for a moment.  ?You?ve seen it, right?  The ?Kirisame Second-hand Store? in the village??  I nodded, having passed by it many times in my strolls through the village.  ?Yeah, my pop owns that place.  I visit them during festivals, but otherwise I usually stay out of the village; they?re all a really superstition lot.  Magic frightens a lot of them, and they all hate youkai unconditionally??

I couldn?t place it, but it sounded like she didn?t have anything against youkai.  ?But aren?t you a youkai exterminator??

She looks over at me almost in confusion.  ?Hey, did you forget that my mentor was a youkai?  Youkai aren?t bad or evil on principal, but the villagers treat them as all the same.  I just hunt down the ones that are causing trouble or are in my way.?

I nodded in understanding; it was certainly a pragmatic way to view things.  We lay there in silence once again.  I was feeling a little better now and felt I could get to sleep again.  Yawning, I said, ?Thank you Marisa.?

She looked at me with that grin of hers and said, ?You?re welcome, ze!?  She then paused and said, ?Uh, for what, though??

Now it was my turn to giggle.  ?For helping me through my problem; I now know I wasn?t wrong to leave my home??  I couldn?t think of anything else to say.  ?Anyways, good night, Marisa.?

?Night, Alice!?

I returned to the village the next day in higher spirits; I now had a friend, something that I never really had back home.  Marisa was quite a bit more cheerful and outgoing than most people I?d met in Gensokyo, so spending the last night with her was something else.  Miss Keine was happy to see me back, and I was just as happy to return to the children.

Things settled back in, and I had begun to have something of a routine again, only this time I would set the pace of what I did.  Over the next weeks, though, something did change; I found Marisa wandering the village on some days.  One night I approached her in order to find out what was going on.

?Oh, hey Alice.?

?Hello Marisa.  Didn?t you tell me that you don?t come to the village very often?  Is something wrong?  What?s up??

Maybe I went a little overboard with the questions, but she didn?t seem to be bothered too much by it.  ?Well, whenever I hit a snag with my magical research, or the mushrooms are taking too long to boil, I usually go to the shrine to bug Reimu until I get bored or she kicks me out; thing is that for the last week she?s been locked up in the shrine and I haven?t been able to see her.?

?Oh??  I couldn?t think of anything else to really say to that.  The sky was darkening; it was the height of Summer in Gensokyo, so this meant it was getting quite late.  ?You should probably get going; you don?t want to be caught flying home by yourself in the dark.?

Two more weeks had passed by like this.  I was getting restless in the village, having seen the way Marisa lived, and longed for a home of my own.  Miss Keine gave me a day off which I used to explore some of the Forest of Magic (as I now knew it was called).  I had brought my three dolls with me and had them float around me through my wanderings.  Some fairies were about, but none of them bothered me; the reasoning for this I couldn?t figure out.

I found the most amazing clearing about a mile out from Marisa?s house; I had stopped there but found her not actually home, so I moved on.  I gazed around the area, imagining what kind of home I would build on the spot.  I turned around to regard my dolls when I felt a strange shift in the surrounding magic; my dolls fell out of the air, no longer connected to me for some reason.  A voice that I vaguely recognized (though from where?) spoke directly into my mind: ?Youkai of Gensokyo, a new global rule has been instated; the spell card system has been introduced and danmaku is now non-lethal.  Conflicts are to be resolved with danmaku and spell card combat.  When resolving conflict, you and your opponent will exchange attacks until one gives up or one runs out of a pre-selected number of spell cards.  Danmaku patterns are to be beautiful, and spell cards are to contain more complex and more beautiful patterns.  Follow these rules or be doomed to be sealed away, youkai.?  I puzzled over the strange message while I quickly reestablished my connection to my dolls.  I turned back around and gaped at what I saw.

There, exactly where and how I imagined it, was a house.  An outsider would call it a Western-style house; it had two floors, and if it was how I actually imagined it, a basement.  I walked up to it and opened the door; the inside was furnished how I imagined it, too.  It lacked the personal touch that I would have given it, but that will come with time, should I actually live here.  I rushed back out of the house and flew straight up above the tree line in time to see Marisa flying at high speeds towards the village.  I called out to her to get her attention, and she altered course and flew to me.  Once she was closer, I noticed that she appeared different than usual; instead of the purple witch robe that she wore before she was now in a black-white ensemble where the blouse and skirt were black and the undershirt, apron, and ribbons were all white.

?Hey, Alice!  Did you feel that?  The change in the magic of Gensokyo??  She hovered on her broom and looked incredibly excited for something or another.  Did she hear that message, too?

?Yes, it made me lose control of my dolls for a moment?   And spawned a house.?

Marisa did a double take at that.  I started giggling at her expression, which may have made her think I was telling a joke.  I dropped altitude back below the canopy, which made her look down into the clearing; she did another double take.

?Uh? wait, that is a house there!  Alice, how did you do that?!?  She dropped down to the ground right after me and followed me into the house.

?I actually don?t know? I was imagining this house here before the magic shift and when I turned around, there it was.?  I got a little quiet and closed my eyes, coming to a decision on the spot.  ?I?m going to move in here.  Not that I want to disappoint the children, but it?s time I started taking care of myself for a change.?

Marisa stared at me for a minute before shaking her head and saying, ?Oh yeah, I was going to tell you; Reimu finally left the shrine!  She?s been meditating and praying and whatnot for weeks now in order make a global change to all of Gensokyo.  She?s introduced a new set of rules for resolving incidents and minor issues: the Spell Card rules!?

This wasn?t news to me, but it sounds like Marisa got the information straight from the horse?s mouth, so to speak.  In the interest of not sounding crazy, I decided to simply ask her.  ?Spell Card rules?  What are those??

Her excitement returned in full force.  ?Well, you remember how we slung danmaku at each other in the last incident?  Reimu?s gone and changed the way it works so that it?s completely safe to be hit by a danmaku bullet; it?ll just sting like hell for awhile.  The idea is that conflict resolution should be beautiful and the danmaku should reflect that.  Combatants should take turns creating more and more beautiful and complex patterns in an attempt to take each other out of the fight, and between regular patterns are special named ones called Spell Cards!?

It sounded complicated, but it also sounded much safer than what we had used against each other before.  I glanced at my grimoire and realized that it probably wouldn?t follow the rules; I couldn?t use it in combat unless I or anyone else was in serious danger without it.  ?How do you make a spell card??

She, what else, grinned in response and said, ?Easy, ze!  You take a blank slip of paper and imprint a magical signature on it.  The magic of Gensokyo does the rest in actually turning it into a card.  Once it?s become an imprinted card, it?s permanent, though according to the rules, when you?re in a duel you can only use a card once.?

I nodded, understanding the basic concept.  One thing escaped me, though?  ?Okay, and how exactly do you create this imprint??

Well now it was a smirk.  ?It's all imagination; you just hold the paper and imagine the pattern you want to base it off of, then feed magic into the paper.  Once enough magic is there, bam!  Instant spell card!?

Marisa was quite enthusiastic about this new change, and who could blame her?  It meant that you could get into fights and duels at just about any time without actually risking your life.  We were knocked out of our thoughts by a very loud and angry sounding knocking at the door.

We looked at each other and I at least wondered who could be knocking, considering the house is brand new.  I walked over and opened the door, revealing a somewhat rough looking Kappa man.  ?Can I help you??

He grunted and said, ?You the owner of this house??  I nodded.  ?Well, you just hooked into the pipeline that?s connected to the witch?s house.  You?ve gotta pay for that water, or we?re ripping that pipe out and making you pay for the work!?

I was speechless, as I hadn?t actually imagined the house as having running water; the magic apparently hooked it up on its own.  ?Um? yes; I will agree to pay whatever is needed.  I hadn?t realized it was connected already??

We negotiated a price, and I counted out how much was needed (I had a small amount of wealth by now from doing an odd job here or there around the village for the last couple of weeks).  When he left, Marisa said, ?Wow; you even magick?d up running water!  It took me ages for them to hook me up after asking for it.?

I decided not to correct her by telling her it wasn?t actually me who caused this house to spring up here.  I led Marisa out of the house and locked it with a magical seal that I had recently learned how to create before speeding off to the village; I had to tell Miss Keine I wasn?t going to need her room anymore!

A month had passed in my new home; something about that mental message I had received when the spell card rules had been instantiated was still bothering me.  The message had sounded like it was supposed to only go to all of the youkai of Gensokyo? so why could I hear it?  I am a human right?

The Summer was winding down; the days were still long, though, which may have explained why early one morning a thick red mist covered almost the whole land at once.  Marisa came to check on me to make sure I was alright, and invited me to come help her and Reimu, though I politely declined; the mist fascinated me, as it seemed to contain its own traces of magic which I wanted to experiment on.  While Marisa was out of her house, I rummaged through her piles of books and found some pertaining to my interests of magically animated dolls and other assorted magic.

It was at this point that I made a startling discovery?  All of a sudden, the last couple of months made sense to me.  I had noticed that I didn?t actually seem to need to eat or drink as often as I did before; I still did as usual, but I wasn?t actually getting hungry or thirsty at the same regular intervals.  This matched up with something that I read about magic that could transform humans into youkai?  If the spell is incomplete, the person becomes something halfway in between; an immature youkai, if you will.  I never tried this, but the symptoms matched.  Then it hit me: my grimoire!  That change, that wonderful and horrible feeling I felt when I first grasped it!  It had made me into just that kind of immature youkai that the book described.  I knew it was wrong to stay in an incomplete state, so I used the books I had borrowed from Marisa as a reference while I unlocked my grimoire for the first time since that day in Makai?

The book seemed to read my mind, as it automatically flipped to the page I needed.  The transformation magic, Shashoku, literally means ?abandoning food.?  As I was human before, I couldn?t go completely without before the full transformation, so I studied hard.  My magic wasn?t enough by itself, so I gathered some of the mist before it went away and used it as a sort of ?fuel? for the spell.  It took hours of concentration to perform it, but by the end of that evening, I was successful.

It was like someone had opened all of my senses, sharpening them to a point never heard of before.  I became a creature of magic; possessing a body with all the same functions of any normal human, but no longer needing to do any of the things that most humans required to keep it running.  I could absorb the ambient magic around me to keep me going, though a very small part of me knew that I wasn?t going to be able to simply stop the usual habits of my past human life.  I was worn out from my progress that day and so locked my grimoire back up and trudged off to my bedroom, not even bothering to change before collapsing on the bed.

I learned from Marisa that the mist incident was entirely the work of a vampire girl named Remilia Scarlet; it seems she wanted to be able to take strolls outside during the day, but couldn?t because the sun sapped her strength too quickly for her to be out for very long.  I then learned from Marisa that the Scarlet Devil Mansion contained the most well stocked library in all of Gensokyo.  The next time I visited her house, however, I also learned of Marisa?s deep dark secret: she was no better than a common thief when something caught her eye.  Several volumes that she didn?t have before appeared in her house, and I learned she had taken them from the SDM without permission.  That was the source of our first real argument over anything, as I found it to be crude and tasteless to earn anything by stealing.

?You stole that grimoire from your own castle, didn?t you??

I?m not sure if youkai are supposed to be able to sweat, but I started to at that point.  ?Th-that?s beside the point!  I was living there at the time and as the daughter of Shinki it was mine to take!?

?Weren?t you specifically told not to touch it??

Damn.  She had me there.  I didn?t have an answer for her, so I resorted to the best glare I could muster.

?And don?t forget those books on puppetry and magic that you took from me while Reimu and I were punishing Remilia and Flandre.?

That felt like a punch in the gut.  She actually noticed they were missing?  She hadn?t said anything in weeks!  How did she even know they were gone in all that clutter?

She smirked at my automatic responses and said, ?That?s okay, you can keep those; I wasn?t actually going to use them, anyways.  They were interesting to read, but since I?m not the expert on making and controlling dolls, you can have them.?

I was slightly irritated by the fact that by letting me keep those, she basically made it so I couldn?t complain about her own penchant for collecting things that belonged to others.  I leaned back in my the chair I was occupying at her table and sunk low, taking a gulp of the tea she had made for me.

The early Autumn of Gensokyo was beautiful, and the magic in the air seemed to thicken slightly to accompany it.  I was able to perform many more magical experiments than I ever could have in either Makai or the village, and reveled in making new discoveries.  My command over my own magic heightened as well, and I could control many dolls at once, as well as have them fire danmaku for me.  I crafted many spell cards for their use, and designed many new dolls to help me out.

Each doll was given the name of a foreign city or country.  Marisa had introduced me to a friend of hers that ran an antique shop on the outskirts of the Forest of Magic.  Rinnosuke, or ?Kourin? as she liked to call him, dealt in items that fell though the Hakurei Border.  Many were the items that came in from the outside world, and one that caught my eye was called a ?World Atlas.?  It had maps and details of many of the different places on the outside world, and I found it to be truly fascinating.  I used the pictures of the different cultures as the basis for the design of my new dolls, and each type of doll was used in a different spell card pattern.

Marisa had come up with many spell cards, as well.  Hers weren?t always original, though.  As an example, her Master Spark is almost a signature perfect copy of the one Yuuka could do; additionally, the Non-Directional Laser was something she directly stole from Patchouli Knowledge, the resident librarian of the SDM?s Voile Library (thus proving that it?s not just books Marisa is after, there).

We both continued our individual research and occasionally dueled each other in the coming months as we developed new patterns and spell cards.  The Winter fell over Gensokyo and brought its own style of beauty; not that Makai didn?t have ice fields, but this was entirely different.  I was unaccustomed to the weather patterns, and did my best to stay inside throughout the season.  I almost didn?t notice it when Winter failed to end when it was supposed to, and only ventured out in curiosity, and noticed a stream of cherry petals coming from somewhere in the sky?

I had gathered a few of the petals and came to realize that they contained a somewhat otherworldly power to them.  If I had to describe it, it would be called? Spring.  Yes, these cherry petals contained the warmth of Spring within them, and might just explain why it was still Winter in Gensokyo.

My theories proved true when two incident solvers and a maid that I didn?t recognize started passing through the forest; not having had the chance to get a rematch with Reimu since ?that time? I decided to stand in their way.  I hadn?t told anybody of my being a youkai yet, so I didn?t fear doing this to them.  They had slowed down to reflect on where they should probably be going when I decided to interject?

?I feel like I?m just wasting my time here?? the maid had said.  ?I wonder how the mistress is doing??

I popped up in front of them; yes, this was my opportunity.  ?Why don?t you worry about yourself if you have time to worry about others??

She looked at me with a very precisely blank expression.  ?Oh yes, I?m worried about myself now.?

Smirking inwardly I said, ?So, for what reason do you worry?  About yourself.?

?Because I?m carrying only three changes of clothes.?  She tilted her head slightly.  ?For myself.?

I nodded.  ?Ah, good reason.?

?That, and a spare set of knives, too.?

?Ah, I? KNIVES??  I shuddered for a moment before turning my attention to the red-white; she looked quite different from before, but I knew it was Reimu.  ?Long time no see.?

Reimu looked confused; I suppose that was to be expected.  ?We?ve only just met.?

I shook my head.  ?No, that?s not what I meant.?

?Am I supposed to remember??

This was getting out of hand.  ?Don?t you remember me??  She shook her head; expected.  ?Well, either way is fine.?

I turned to face Marisa; she held her hands out and shook her head, backing away.  We already know each others? spell cards, so I guess this is for the best.  The maid turned to Reimu and said, ?She seems to know you; I think I?ll let you handle it.?  She too backed away and floated next to Marisa.

The duel was on.  We matched patterns for patterns and spell cards for spell cards, though being as busy as I was controlling my dolls, I didn?t dodge and graze as well as she did.  I wouldn?t necessarily call it holding back, but I certainly didn?t use all of the strength I could have.  Throughout the fight I could see Marisa and the maid having a conversation, but about what, I couldn?t say.

The fight was intense, but in the end my spells were broken.  I barely had the magic left to keep afloat and animate a single Shanghai doll.  The maid flew up to us and demanded, ?Alright, spill it.  Who?s behind this whole affair??

A small part of me wanted to point her in the direction of Reimu?s shrine, but that would have been pointless.  I cut to the chase.  ?Haven?t you noticed the Spring follows you as you gather cherry petals??

She looked up in the direction of the falling petals.  ??I bet it?s upwind then.?

She started slowly floating away a little.  ?I haven?t said my point yet??

Marisa flew up to us grinning wildly; she?s just as excitable as ever.  ?Have Winters always been this busy?  Humans usually stay indoors.?

I smirked at what she said, thinking about my own condition.  ?You mustn?t consider me a normal human.?

I could see the humor in her eyes.  ?Are you a weird human, then??

Oh that does it.  I probably should have restrained myself, but I couldn?t help but blurt it out.  ?I?m normal, just not human!?  I covered my mouth after saying that, realizing just what it sounded like that I said.

Marisa?s grin disappeared and the other two floated around with casual (dis)interest.  ?Wait, what?  What do you mean, you aren?t human??

I knew I couldn?t deny it; there was basically no opening to play it off as a joke, and either way, Marisa wouldn?t fall for it.  A tear I wasn?t intending on trickled down my cheek.  ?I mean? I?m a youkai??

I don?t know why, because it wasn?t like me at all; did I simply fear for my life?  After all, Reimu and Marisa were professional youkai exterminators, and while I didn?t cause the incident I still got in their way?

?So?  Is that all you?re worried about??  I looked up and was startled to see her grinning like a mad man.  No, not startled at the mad man part, as I already knew she was at least partly insane, but the grin certainly took me by surprise.  ?You?re worried because you got in our way, and now you think you?re about to be killed or sealed or something.?

I stared at her in mild shock; was this girl a satori or something?  I nodded slowly and heard a pair of exasperated sighs from above me.  The maid appeared bored while Reimu floated down to join the conversation.  ?You idiot; outside of the useless fairies that resurrect minutes after being killed, do you know how many youkai I?ve actually sealed away?  None.?

I was surprised, to say the least, but then I remembered something that Marisa had told me about their adventure to the Scarlet Devil Mansion: Remilia Scarlet occasionally stops by the Hakurei Shrine to have tea with Reimu.  Considering she actually instigated the Scarlet Mist Incident, to be casually drinking tea with a former enemy was kind of strange.

?Same for me, ze!?  I actually jumped when she spoke to me.  ?Remember Yuuka?  Before we came to Makai and met you, we both chased down Yuuka, for different reasons of course.?  And now was the somewhat creepy moment? a genuine smile graced her face.  ?And don?t forget when we raided Makai; each and every youkai and demon that stood in our way lived to tell about it.?

Ugh.  She?s right again.  And now I?ve made myself look like a weak fool in front of them.  I sighed.  ?Okay, I?m done now.  You guys go on and rescue Spring, or whatever you?re doing.  I?m going to go work on my spell cards??  Bowing to the three of them, I floated on down to my house.  I figure I?ll hear about the end of this from Marisa once it?s all over; though maybe I should try getting out more often?

Well, that's it.  I appreciate whatever advice I can get; let me know if you want a link to where I already have it posted, in case you are curious to read the "Explanation" chapter I wrote up to elaborate on my mindset when working on this.  Thank you in advance.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
The last weekend before the deadline!  For all you procrastinators, now is the time to begin.

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
The last weekend before the deadline!  For all you procrastinators, now is the time to begin.

I WILL WANT TO WRITE A MASTER PIECE!!!

Edit: MaxKnight, I like how you incorporated the actual games and dialogue into your story. A bit long but you already state that it was going to be. Would have liked more of a background on Makai though. About the First Person writing: It felt like Alice was whining about everything. The story probably had no whining from Alice other then the beginning about humiliation, but throughout the entire story, to me it felt like it was a little kid telling her parents that someone bullied her. One thing I will say is that the story is great considering it was the first time you wrote First Person seriously. Props for that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:36:00 PM by jaxter0987 »

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
  • YEET!!!! *throws pollen puff*
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
Good thing I'm halfway done typing my story. I hope it's at least decent...

Edit: Crap, I realized that I think I just made a Mary Sue, but I don't know...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:53:03 PM by Kaisou Hisakata »
Hi. Might put something new here but idk.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »
I wonder... it says I can tweak the subjects a little, could I change the friend one into "two teachers meet"? If so I could throw the latest chapter of my urban touhou fic here. Alternatively could I tweak said chapter so it fits the criteria and add a short summary at the start of the chapter?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
So long as the story segment stands as a good peice of writing by itself it's fine.  Don't worry about the fine details of the subject suggestions.  Just make the story iteself understandable solo.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
Alright here we go. this is a slightly modified version of chapers 2 and 3 of my "urban touhou story" enjoy.

(some prestory, gensoukan high is a school that integrates everything from grade school to college, keine is a teacher in the high school part, Marisa and Koishi are students in her history class)

Something that was unique about Gensoukan high was its teachers. Like the earlier mentioned Ran Yakumo, several teachers that worked at the school were former students that had started a career as teachers. An exception to this was Satori Komeiji who had studied at the Chirei Academy before joining the ranks of the Gensoukan teachers. She taught psychology at the college part of the school and had an amazing ability to ?read? people. Not only was she extremely skilled at telling the mood of whomever she was talking to, she sometimes seemed like she knew exactly what the subject was thinking. However she was also slightly superstitious, always wearing a brooch with an eye motif as a lucky charm, she was also rather? on the small side.

She wasn?t just short; her entire body, proportions included, seemed like it belonged to someone who you?d expect were going to grade school, not someone who?d graduated and worked as a teacher at college level. The oddness of practically being an adult in a child?s body combined with her inability to keep quiet about her constant personal analyses (imagine someone giving you an update on exactly how you feel every few minutes or so) meant she wasn?t the most pleasant person to be around and consequently she weren?t really the students favorite either.

That?s not to say she was universally disliked, she carried some respect among the teachers for how well she managed the students despite the aforementioned problems, she also knew some of the students by their first names (that is more than the name on the class list). One of these students was Utsuho ?Okuu? Reiuji, a girl majoring in physics that might at first impression seem a bit dimwitted but had an amazing ability to learn if she put her mind into it.

Another student she got along well with was Okuu?s friend Rin ?Orin? Kaenbyou (the nickname was something Rin had come up with herself because she thought her last name was too long). Orin was a bit? odd for lack of better words, she seemed to have this fascination with death that Satori couldn?t seem to find a reason for, she also had her own streak of superstition believing firmly that cats brought her luck. These two traits had earned her the nickname of ?kasha? among the students, after the mythological cat youkai that steals corpses. Orin didn?t seem to mind the nickname and if she weren?t bothered by it Satori wouldn?t try to stop it, her own given name had earned her a few jabs of her own and she was glad the student didn?t let it get to her.

Currently however, nicknames were the last thing on Satori?s mind, the matter at hand was also a bit closer to home than student nicknames. She was thinking about her younger sister Koishi Komeiji. There was a big age difference between them (Koishi had just started her first year in High School) yet they looked fairly similar, the biggest difference being their hair color. Koishi was also a bit more? normal when it came to body size, fitting in quite well visually with the other high schoolers.

However she didn?t fit in quite as well socially, it wasn?t like she was pushed away by the other students? she just didn?t seem to care. When they were younger, before Koishi began school and Satori?s size was somewhat matching up to her age, Koishi had shown signs of being just as good at reading people as Satori was. However one day she had just stopped with anything of the sort, Satori didn?t know what had happened but she?d suddenly become reclusive, shut off from others, even Satori had problems telling what she was thinking.

When she started school no change seemed to occur, she didn?t seem to connect with any of the other kids and she started sort of? drifting about, it was hard to describe what she did but if she didn?t want you to know she was there she just wasn?t there, she became invisible in plain sight. Satori had a theory that she literally acted like she wasn?t there and people simply didn?t acknowledge her, but that didn?t really matter right now.

What Satori was thinking about was something Koishi had said the other day a few days after the school start. They were both in the living room of their house, Satori reading a book and Koishi just lazing about. Koishi spoke first
-   Hey nee-chan~
-   Yes Koishi, what is it?
Koishi initiating a conversation alone was noteworthy but even more so was her tone, it sounded cheerful.
-   Today at school?
-   Hmm?
-   I?ve met someone that seems reeeally interesting.
This was even more out of character, Satori had tried introducing Koishi to new people on occasion, she had gotten along fairly well with Orin and Okuu the first time they met, but she?d never taken interest in someone on her own accord before. Satori put away her book.
-   Oh really who is it?
-   It?s this girl that?s in my history class? her name is Marisa
-   That?s Keine sensei?s class isn?t it?
-   Yeah? I really wanna know more about her.
Then she went back to lazing about on the couch, leaving Satori to her thoughts.

Satori felt like she had heard the name Marisa before but she couldn?t remember when, she figured she could ask Keine about it after school today, if Koishi had taken an interest in her there had to be something special about her.

With these thoughts still swirling around in her head the childish looking teacher headed off towards the cafeteria, only to be blocked at a door because two students had gotten stuck and were currently in the process of getting pulled out by the gym teacher, accompanied by quite a bit of cursing from the teacher and some cheering by the spectators. After the door was unblocked and the students were being scolded by the teacher Satori headed on without paying it any more mind.

Satori had been sitting by herself at a cafeteria table for some time before she?s decided what she would do. She then snatched up her cellphone from a pocket in her light-blue blouse and found Keine?s number. Three signals went through before she picked up.
-   Hello? Kamishirasawa here.
-   Hello this is Komeiji Satori psychology teacher at Gensoukan, college section.
-   Ah, it?s been a while, how can I be of assistance?
-   I?d like to talk with you about two of your students, is there anywhere we can meet?
-   I?m currently having lunch with my trainee at a restaurant nearby, the Sparrow?s; do you know where it is?
-   I?ll be there in five minutes
She hung up without further pleasantries and headed towards the restaurant at an uncharacteristically brisk pace.

Mokou, trainee at Gensoukan was in the middle of a discussion with her responsible teacher about a subject that will go unspecified for the time being when said teacher?s phone rang. Keine picked up the phone and checked the number? then a thoughtful expression spread across her face.
-   Who is it?
Mokou leaned forward to see the screen.
-   No one you know.
Keine answered the call.
-   Hello? Kamishirasawa here.
Mokou couldn?t stifle a grin when she heard her teacher?s name, it was such a mouthful. Keine was silent as the caller introduced herself.
-   Ah, it?s been a while, how can I be of assistance?
More silence.
-   I?m currently having lunch with my trainee at a restaurant nearby, the Sparrow?s; do you know where it is? ? Alright good b?
Seems the caller had hung up on her, Keine furrowed her brow.
-   So, who?s joining us? Mokou asked while weighing on her chair.
-   It?s Komeiji Satori, psychology teacher at the school.
-   You looked thoughtful when you saw the number, something I should know about her?
-   You?ve never heard anything about her during your time here?
-   Not that I can remember, should I?ve?
-   Probably not, just thought I?d check.
Keine put her elbow at the table and rested her chin in her hand.
-   You could say Komeiji is a bit infamous at the school, for two reasons.
Mokou leaned forward as well.
-   Firstly, she doesn?t look completely normal, something I guess you can relate too.
The last part was said with an understanding look at Mokou? or rather her head, with its long white hair, pale skin and red eyes, the signs of an albino.
-   Second, she has an ability to ?read? those she?s talking to. And not just how they feel either, sometimes it seems like she knows what her subjects are thinking.
-   Aha, I can see how that starts rumors.
-   Exactly. The problem is that she doesn?t seem to be able to keep quiet about what she picks up? not everyone enjoys having their thoughts broadcasted to anyone who?s listening.
-   Understandably enough? you said she looked different, how exactly?
-   You?ll see when she arrives.
It turned out that Mokou did not have to wait long, the next person who entered the sparrow was what looked like a little girl, no older than thirteen or fourteen years, with a pink skirt, blue blouse, yellow headband and pink hair (her hair was not too unusual, there were all sorts of hair colors around here). Mokou had not given her a second glance if Keine had not beckoned her over to the table and she?d not introduced herself as Professor Komeiji Satori from Gensoukan, college division.

Satori walked at a brisk pace and arrived at the Sparrow?s in three minutes with slightly elevated pulse. After entering it was no hard task to spot Keine and who she assumed was her trainee (Mokou if she remembered correctly), one with blue highlights in her hair and an odd square hat that looked like a pagoda, the other completely white with several bows in her hair. She headed over to their table and sat down, giving each of them a glance, a glance that collected a lot more information than it seemed.

Satori turned to Mokou first:
-   I see Keine has told you a bit about me? though I?m not quite what you expected. Still I guess its common courtesy to introduce oneself, Komeiji Satori, psychology teacher at Gensoukan college division.
She extended her arm to Mokou who, after some initial confusion, took it and introduced herself in turn.
-   Ah, err? M-Mokou, Fujiwara no Mokou, nice to meet you.
She seemed moderately shocked at meeting someone who looked like a grade-schooler but acted and sounded like a grown woman.
-   Pleasure to meet you too Mokou-san. You seem a bit shocked, don?t worry I?m used to it; stare as much as you want.
With those words the little psychology teacher turned to her colleague.
-   And you?re still impressed by how well I handle people and wonder why I called and asked to come and interrupt your cozy lunchtime.
-   I wouldn?t say ?cozy? but otherwise you?re correct. (this was what she meant with her being unable to keep quiet)
-   What can you tell me about a student in your class by the name of Kirisame Marisa?
-   I don?t think there?s much to say, she?s energetic and I?ve heard she does well in other classes? she just doesn?t seem interested in history.
-   Anything special about her social life?
-   She?s rather popular, got a bunch of girls she usually hangs out with and a couple of admirers.
-   Have you ever seen her talk to Koishi?
-   Your sister? Not what I can remember, she?s normally so unnoticeable I?ve started double checking during class that she?s still there.
-   Hmm, that?s something to work with, not much, but something.
Satori seemed to be talking to herself more than anyone else. Suddenly she rose as if to leave but first she turned to Keine and gave a small bow.
-   Thanks for the information; I?ll see if I can find anything about Miss Kirisame that might help me shake some more life into Koishi.
She turned to leave but threw a last glance at the duo.
-   One of you is going to have to take the first step unless you want to be on the same stage forever, just a tip.
She then left the Sparrow?s restaurant, now containing a furiously blushing history teacher and her trainee who was in the same state.
-   You were right about one thing. Mokou said. She really can?t keep quiet.
Keine simply nodded and stared at the table.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:54:41 PM by Okuu »

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
  • YEET!!!! *throws pollen puff*
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 11:54:47 PM »
Alright! I think I got it finished! I hope this is good, or not too short...

All her life, she lived at the Hijiri temple. She never had any real friends, except for Byakuren Hijiri, who was in charge of the temple. She had to be close to a ghost who could have been the same person who sealed her up many years ago. Her name... is Nue Houjuu.

Somewhere else, a relatively weak, black-haired, blue-eyed, purple dressed youkai's house was burned down during the recent events of the last incident. The youkai searched for a long time for a new home, until she ended up at the same Hijiri temple. She was a bit tired, so she went inside, found a box, and slept in it. The next morning, Byakuren found her sleeping and woke her up.

"Oh, who do we have here," she questioned. The youkai was still tired from the sudden wake-up call. "My name's Seidenki, unn..." the youkai responded. "Hello, Seidenkiunn, I'm Byakuren, the priestess of this temple.  I had a dream to join all humans and youkai together in harmony. Why, I could remember the time when..." Seidenki drifted off from focusing on Byakuren to focusing on Nue. "Umm, who's that girl?"

"Ah, that is Nue Houjuu," Byakuren answered. "She doesn't talk much, but-- ah?"

Seidenki was found talking to Nue. "Hi, I'm Seidenki. Do you live here?"

Nue was hesitant in answering. "Um, yeah. Why?"

"Do you spend your time here every day?"
"Yeah, I live here."
"What about outside?"
"No, I just scare the humans in the Human Village."
"Are you busy right now?"
"Well, I was just going to check up on everybody here."

"Oh," Seidenki said disappointed. "Well then, I guess I should go find a new home then. Bye, Byakuren. See you later, Nue."

Nue felt something strange inside her. Could it be that Seidenki offered to be friends? She wasn't sure exactly, but it had something to do with her. After feeling this, she decided to follow her.

On the way to search for a new home, Seidenki was attacked by a bunch of fairies, like those in the end of the extra stages. She swerved, using all of her strength, and was hit a lot, losing a few lives. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a voice shouted.

"Nightmare in Heiankyou!"

Lasers appeared in a grid fashion, with a bullet cluster sliding down each gap between the grids, and at certain points the lasers formed into more bullets, giving access to other lanes. It gave the fairies too much trouble that they gave up. Nue turned around to see Seidenki lying on the ground. She rushed to her side to see if she was alright.

"Hey," Nue asked, "are you okay?" Seidenki woke up slowly again for the second time today. "Hmm? What happened?"

Nue looked in the direction that the fairies were escaping in. "Those fairies were too strong for you. I saw them attacking you, so I tried to save you." Seidenki was very thankful for it and said, "thank you, but I don't know how I should repay you."

Nue shook her head. "You don't need to." She pulled out some blank spell cards from her hidden dress pocket and gave them to Seidenki. "Here are some spell cards for you to use. I secretly snatched them from Reimu's shrine. You do have a power, do you?" Seidenki was trying to remember what her power was exactly. "Umm, I think I could do some magic. Why?"

"Spell cards work with the powers that people can use," Nue responded. "For instance, I can hide my true form, so my spells associate with mystery. Since you can use magic, you can associate them with magic."

"Alright," Seidenki responded, "but I should be looking for a new home now." Nue grabbed her by the arm and ran with her back to the Human Village. "Really? Then come on, I know a very good house for sale near the temple! It just appeared for sale! Don't worry, Byakuren could pay for it since she gets donations and uses them for charities, and I could visit every day!"

Seidenki smiled very widely with excitement. Once the two got to the Village, they asked Byakuren to buy the house a few blocks down. Byakuren agreed, and now Seidenki lives there happily. Nue visits her a lot to play, help her organize her house, chat, and helps protect her house. Sometimes, they go out to see what happens around Gensokyo when the shrine maiden and black-and-white witch go out to solve incidents. The two became great friends as time passed, and they have become like sisters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks later, they were designing Seidenki's spell cards. This took a long time to figure out how the bullets went down. While they were designing them, the fairies from last time appeared. "Heh, you beat us last time," one fairy said, "but we're gonna win this time! We figured out that Heiankyou spell pretty quick, and we will beat you!"

"Stand back, I got this," Nue exclaimed. Suddenly, the whole house became a battlefield; no walls, just a red background with strange paintings. Bullets flew everywhere, Heian Dark Clouds* was used, and Nue had some trouble as she was hit.

"Nue!!"

It was Seidenki screaming. Suddenly, she flew way up close, pulled out a spell card, and activated it in a panic.

"Magic Sign [Shooting Star's End Course]!!"

She was in a hurry, so she really didn't pay attention to what spell she was using. She fired water bullets that move in a wing fashion while sea green ones rained down slowly from her instead of star bullets randomly blasting from flying familiars. Seidenki's eyes widened with confusion and double-checked the spell card she declared. It turned out to be her water spell called Water Magic Sign [River Dragon's Rain]. "Oh, whoopsie."

The fairies gave up yet again seeing how they didn't see the safespot behind her and a different one yelled, "we'll be back, and you won't be so lucky next time!!"

"Hey, Nue," Seidenki called. "You okay this time?"

Nue came back up and said, "What the...? Did they just boost up to Phantasm diffi--"

"Shh, don't break the 4th wall." Seidenki interrupted.

Seidenki gave Nue a first-aid kit and said, "that was fun teaming up! We should do that more often!" Nue gave an unsure look. "I don't know; I mean, it is kinda dangerous..."

"Don't worry," Seidenki said, "even if one of us gets in trouble, we got the other one to help! Besides, a weak youkai who was boosted up to stage 3 level like me, and an extra stage boss like you teaming up? Now that's gotta be difficult to beat. We might even be able to last more that 30 seconds with Reimu!"

As Nue heard that short speech, the both of them laughed of joy.

So, what do you think? I think I did a good job with this, which was exactly what I was aiming for: decent! Of course, this was a self-judgment, so I can't help but think that there's so many errors orit's not very good... or I made a Mary Sue... :ohdear:

Oh yeah, and as a side note*: Heian Dark Clouds or Peaceful Dark Clouds, either one would work. I just call it Heian.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:43:47 AM by Kaisou Hisakata »
Hi. Might put something new here but idk.

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
At last I finished my story! I don't know if my story true or not, my English is so bad after all. This story is postponed by me for a while before because I write Grand Chase fanfic too. Many people wants me to continue and continue. Well... I can't turn it down. Enjoy btw! ^^

The (Un)usual Day For Marisa

Spring has come in Gensokyo earlier than usual. The spring fairy, Lily White flying happily all around Gensokyo. Shouting and spreading Danmaku Bullet from her sleeves.

?IT?S.... SPRINGGG~!!!?

The fairy flying pass Hakurei Shrine and spreading the Danmaku Bullet around there too. Meanwhile, a shrine maiden open the shrine?s sliding door lazily. Lily White?s Danmaku nearly hit her on the foot.

?Hey! Brainless Fairy!! Don?t spread your Danmaku in my shrine! It?s dangerous you know!!!? The Shrine Maiden scold the fairy, but doesn?t have any intention to punish her.

Lily stop her flying and panickly apologize to the shrine maiden who still standing in front of the sliding door, emotionless.

?Eeeekkkkk! I... I?m sorry Reimu-san! I just... too happy that the spring has come.... Sorry and excuse me!!?

Reimu staring at the white fairy that make a quick escape after apologized to her until she disappear from her sight.

*sigh* ?Why is she run away? Am I that scary? Ahhh... forget it!?

The red-white shrine maiden walk into the store room, picking up her broom to sweep the shrine?s courtyard.

Arriving there, Reimu spotted someone praying in front of the shrine?s offertory box. She dropped her broom and quickly approach the prayer.

?Thank you for visiting our shrine!?

The black haired shrine maiden bow slightly to that prayer. The person notice Reimu and turn to her. Looking to the mysterious person, Reimu take a few minutes until she finally know who that person is.

?You?re..?

A few hours later in the Forest of Magic...

A black-white witch holding a bamboo broom in her hands, waiting for someone in front of her house.

?Where on Gensokyo does that doll maniac go? I?ve been waited for such a long time?

Suddenly, a blonde haired girl appear near the witch, together with her doll which is also blonde haired.

?Who are you calling doll maniac, Marisa! You sneaky thief!!? The blonde girl shout to Marisa, make the black-white witch jump a bit.

?Whoa! Sorry Alice, but you really take a lot of time. We just want to go for shopping right? ?

?Oh that... ummm.... well.... sorry about that, but I think we?ll go shopping some other time. I have to prepare for something now...?

?Awwww... just what are you preparing??

?N.. not your business! Anyway, I must get going now. Bye!!? Alice walking away quickly, leaving the now confused witch.

?What?s wrong with her? Geez... Maybe I go borrowing some book from Patchy for now-ze~?

Marisa ride on her broom to Scarlet Devil Mansion, but something feels weird there.

?Hmm? Is this lake always this quiet? Where is that stupid ice fairy and her friend??

The witch flying around the Misty Lake to look for the fairies, but doesn?t find them. She?s not seeing the common fairies too.

?I guess they are playing with the cockroach and that noisy bird. More importantly... book I?m coming-ze~?

Grinning, she launch her bamboo broom to the mansion in the middle of the lake. Her broom keep getting faster and faster, it aims to one of the mansion?s window that lead to the library.

?WOHOOO!! I?M THE FASTEST IN GENSOKY-?

DUAGHHHH!!!!!!!

Other than crash into the window, Marisa hit an invincible wall and fall to the ground, together with her broom. Meiling who (miraculously) still awake see the event, burst out laughing.

?What the..ze~ That really hurt. What the hell is that??

?That?s a magic wall created by Lady Patchouli for you? The green gate guard walking approach Marisa while still laughing a bit.

?Patchy? Does she get serious to prevent me stea- I mean borrowing her books?? The black-white get up and dusting her dirty clothes.

?Hmmm~ Who knows~ Just go home okay~ I want to do my job now?

As Meiling turn around, Marisa point her mini Hakkero to her.

LOVE SIGN! MASTER SPARKKKKK!!!!

Huge beam of light deep fried the poor gate guard instantly.

?That?s what you get for pissing me off-ze~ Maybe the gate isn?t affected by the magic wall...?

HOLD IT!!!

The witch freeze in her place because there is a knife grazing her left cheek and cut a bit of her blonde hair.

?Stay in your place or I?ll make sure the next knife will stab right into your head!!?

The blonde witch slowly turn around and become face to face with the Scarlet Devil Mansion?s head maid.

?Sa..Sa...Sakuya...go..good day-ze~? Marisa grinned but sweat a lot, trembling.

?Yes, good day. Now, please go home right away. I still have many chores to do? Sakuya coldly reply.

?Eeehh? But I still not yet to do my usual routine. Now, if you excuse me...?

?What a rude attitude you have there Marisa...? A vampire girl wear a pink gown, landing beside Sakuya while shading herself with a small pink parasol.

?Mistress... You don?t need to handle this...? The head maid put down her knife.

?I must handle this stubborn witch myself, you can?t fully handle her Master Spark right??

?W..Well..., you?re right mistress...? The silver haired maid wants to object her mistress, but receive a sharp glare from her.

?So... this  ?Mistress Remilia? can stop my Master Spark-ze~? said Marisa mockingly while pointing her mini Hakkero to Remilia and Sakuya.

?You can try if you want~, but after you defeat me and enter my mansion... You?ll be welcomed by my sister~? Remilia smile devilishly.

?What the... You free that psychopathic girl? Zeezzzz....? The witch put down her mini Hakkero.

?If you understand, now... GET YOUR ASS OUT OF HERE! OHOHOHOHO!!!!? The vampire laughed menacingly like she just successfully killing her biggest enemy.

?Mistress... the charisma....?

?Oh! Ahem... Just go home for now okay?? Said the little vampire with a cute, childish voice.

?Right, right. I pull back for now, but tomorrow I?ll come again?

Marisa fly back to Forest of Magic.

?Tomorrow eh? You won?t be able to go here again Marisa...? Remilia said while grinning.

?Arrrghhhh!!! This really pissing me off! Everyone is acting so strange. Maybe I?ll  talk about this with Nitori, she seems more entertaining?

The black-white witch once again fasting her broom, going  to the Youkai Mountain.

?Nitoriiii!!! I come to play-ze~?

Marisa shouted near a waterfall in Youkai Mountain. No answer.

?Hey~ Do you hear me??? Still no answer.

?She?s busy I think. Hmm?? The witch spotted a book lie alone on the ground near her.

She picked up the book and read the cover.

?Magic Song. I never heard about something like that. Let see...?

When she opened the book, Marisa only see one sentence.

?Marisa Stole the Precious Things?

The book glowed dangerously after that.

?Oh shi-?

BOOOOOOMMMMM!!! The so-called-Magic Song book is explode.

?Zeeeee!!!!~? Marisa sent back flying to Forest of Magic.

?The hell is this!  Why is everyone threat me like that!!? Said the star witch while getting up from the bushes she landed on.

?This must be an incident, I must tell Reimu right away!?

The Hakurei Shrine is very silent. No Oni sleeping on the roof, no shrine maiden drinking tea at the terrace.

?Weird... Where did they go??

DAGHHH!!! Someone hit Marisa?s back neck, making her fainted.

?That was close...?

?Is this okay to make her like this, Reimu??

The Hakurei Miko poke Marisa?s face to check if she pretend to unconscious or not, ?Don?t worry about that, Youmu. Just bring her to her house, we?re still busy preparing for tomorrow?s event. You  sure she won?t wake up in a short time right??

?Yes, she?ll wake up tomorrow morning. Don?t worry? The swordsman lift Marisa unconscious body.

?I leave the rest to you then...?

Morning come again in Gensokyo.

Marisa wake up on her bed, touch her aching back neck.

?Why am I here? Someone knocked me out at the shrine.... Is some Youkai take over the shrine? Reimu must be in dangerous.... REIMUUUU!!!? The witch picked up her bamboo broom quickly and ride it at the the top speed to the Hakurei Shrine.

?Come out you evil Youkai! Release my friend right away or I?ll make you taste my Master Spark!!?

The Shrine still silent, ignoring Marisa?s threat.

?Ignoring me eh? Then I?ll....?

SURPRISEEEEEE!!!!

Reimu and another familiar Youkai appeared from the back shrine and rush immediately to the witch.

?Eh? What?? Marisa confused looking at their actions.

?Today is your birthday idiot! Don?t tell me you?re forget about it? Reimu smack the confused witch head.

?Owww~ Sorry~, but how did you know about it? I never tell anyone about my birthday..?

?Find out about that yourself. You know the person better than any of us? The shrine maiden smiled.

?Hmmm.... okaysss~ Now... thanks everyone.. I?m really happy with this...? The black-white witch blushed and cover her face with her big pointed hat.

?Now, now... don?t mention about it.... Let?s enjoy the party now okay?? Yukari appeared from a gap near Reimu.

?Yup! LET?S PARTY EVERYONE!!!?

OOOOOOO!!!!!  The crowd cheer excitingly.

?What a good day isn?t it?? Hieda no Akyu sitting on her house terrace with a man.

?Yes...? Reply the man while looking at the sky.

?You really don?t have a good sense of humor to do that to Marisa?

?Maybe..., but I bet she doesn?t want to  see me again..? Said the mysterious man with a sad tone.

?Who says that to you? You don?t even talk to me?

The room? s sliding door is opened and revealing a black-white witch with a big black pointed hat.

?Ma...Marisa..! Shouldn?t you at the shrine? Why did you come here?? The white haired man startled.

?Reimu told me to find out myself who tells everyone about my birthday. Kourin doesn?t do it, so you?re the only one who knows about it, dad...?

?I see..., sorry Marisa... I thought that you wouldn?t be happy if I?m the one who arrange the party, so I-?

Marisa walk to her father and hugged him. He hesitate for a moment but hug her back.

?Don?t worry about that, dad. Thank you for doing this for me...? The tomboyish witch can?t help but cry a bit in her dad chest.

Hieda just smiled, looking at the happy moment of father and daughter in front of her.

END

Okay~ This is my real Touhou fanfic I've ever write. Sorry if it's so bad =_=
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:35:07 AM by BlackAlice »
Alice Margatroid

Now writing:
Negative Explosion Chapter 3

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
24 hours left to go!  To those of you who beat the deadline, you can still get in last minute edits.  To the rest, good luck!

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »
Can I still enter something? I was gonna post this as it's own topic but then I remembered about this contest....

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:24 AM »
Can I still enter something? I was gonna post this as it's own topic but then I remembered about this contest....

it's not feb. 1 yet, so yes you can go right ahead and enter

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 01:35:09 AM »
Okay, this is just short chapter. I'm not expecting to win with this but I hope it's good.

Anyway here it it:

Cirno and the small human-ish thing (Working title)

Chapter 1.

Poke poke. Wriggle. Poke poke. Wriggle.

"Hey Dai, what is this thing?"

"Don't call me that Cirno, I'm not big"

Poke poke. Wiggle. Poke poke. Wriggle.

"But Dai's Dai, anyway, what is this?" Cirno said, poking the wrapped bundle some more. Wriggle. Before holding it up for Dai to see.

Sigh "I don't know Cirno, it looks like a human but it's too small, where did you find it anyway?" Said 'Dai', observing the thing in the bundle. It didn't really look like any human

she ever seen, It was too small to be human and it's head looked so wrong on the body. It was kinda cute though. It also seems to be sleeping.

"I found it in the forest with a youkai saying something about 'Loophole in the rule' or something, he was annoying so I froze him solid" Really, the youkai wasn't really that

annoying at all, she just wanted an excuse to test her freezing power on something bigger then that big frog. She would have froze this thing too but curiosity got the better of her.

Poke. Wriggle.

"Hmm, well, could it be a youkai then?" There are all different types of human-ish youkai out there, she doesn't know them all but she knows, since she's a smart fairy, like Cirno.

"Maybe..." Cirno never really thought about that as she's seen all types of youkai in her life and this thing never really jogged her memory. Not that she remembers specifically

what the youkai were, it's just it doesn't look familiar too her. "I know! I should ask Letty, She knows a lot of human and youkai things, so maybe she will know what this thing is!"

Poke. Wriggle.

With that said, Cirno flies off in the direction of the forest but not before saying her bye to her friend. "See ya Dai!"

"I'm not big!"

____________________________________________________________________________________

"So Letty what is this thing?" Cirno asked, holding the bundle up for Letty to see. It was late autumn so Letty wasn't too deep into her sleep, so a bit of banging on her door woke her right up! She was grumpy and whacked Cirno in the head after opening her door but all was well as Cirno has a thick head.

Rubbing the sleep form her eyes, Letty took a look at the thing Cirno was holding up and blinked.

"Cirno, where did you get this baby form?"

"Baby?"

Putting her face into her hand, Letty sighed some. While Cirno knows a lot of things (for a fairy) in the matter of youkai and some animals, she knew so little about humans as she never really bothered them.

"A baby is a human...how do I explain it you in a way you'll understand....tadpole! A baby is a human tadpole that grows into a human child then a human adult" Explained Letty, knowing about Cirno's strange fascination with frogs.

"Ohhhh..." Said Cirno in wonder. She seen tadpoles always near the where the frogs where and decided to observe them one day to find out what they where. When she saw them grow into frogs she asked Letty about it and learned they that's how animals are born. She never knew humans were also born this way!

"Where did you find it Cirno?" While finding Cirno annoying at time, she doesn't want a hunting party formed out for Cirno's blood if Cirno happened stole one of the humans baby. While Cirno can't die, she would most likely be driven away and it be kinda...boring without her around in the winter.

"I found it near a youkai after I froze him solid!"

Letty just sighed some more.

I hope the the end of each snippet can be read like it's the end of the story, since that's what I was going for because I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.....

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »
3 hours and 30 minutes remain.

Will anyone cut it closer to the wire then Robotic Doll.S?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:57 AM »

well technically I could just find some old fic I never posted and c/p it in this thread :3c

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:19 AM »
Oh shit 3 hours left let's do this.

Meimu Hakurei who was Reimu Hakurei's sister was one day in an office typing on a cOh forget it :3

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »

Ta~da!

Nights dissolved into day, days were reabsorbed into night, and I slept. Winter draped the land in snow before yielding to the caresses of spring, and still I slumbered on. Only when the daily shafts of sunlight filtered in with a newly radiant warmth reflective of high spring did I awake. It was mid-morning, an unusual time for me to be up, and in my grogginess I almost declared a premature surrender to my desire for sleep. Then I remembered. Around this time and all across Japan, cherry blossoms were coming into bloom - at first isolated patches, then whole forests, until a seemingly endless profusion blotted the blue of the sky with shades of white and pink. One of life's purest and most carefree pleasures is sitting underneath a flowering cherry tree, admiring the falling blossoms while sipping sake, and if I went back to sleep now it might be another month until I reawoke. Resolving to idly pass the time in a more refined manner, I made my preparations and left Mayohiga for the garden of the Saigyouji family.

In those days it was well known to all hanami connoisseurs that the most beautiful and fantastic flower viewings were to be had at the Saigyouji household. The patriarch of the family, Saigyouji Bennosuke, was a master of the art of flower arrangement, and owing to his wealth he was able to express his exquisite sensibilities on a larger scale than a bouquet. He brought an overriding, intricate symmetry to the organization of the garden, and the attentive spectator would discern a subtle balance in the various clusters and gaps formed by the cherries and wisteria. Yet in the midst of all this understatement was a booming, garish declaration, and even the eyes of the most dimwitted fool would be invariably led inward and heavenward to the garden's crowning glory - the Saigyou Ayakashi. Suffice it to say that the Saigyou Ayakashi in bloom was impossibly beautiful. The amount of poetry inked to praise this singular tree, most of it bad, fills an entire volume, and Bennosuke's relative, the eminent monk Saigyo Hoshi, was only the most lyrical in describing a desire to die beneath the weighty and bountiful thicket of its branches.

I exited a gap above one of the numerous outdoor patios ringing the garden, and noted approvingly that it was still in fair condition. As expected, the surroundings were absolutely silent. The branches of the Saigyou Ayakashi, which in years past were laden with an astonishing density of blossoms, were barren. As often occurs in these types of situations, the tree, being the focus and receptacle of so many extreme emotions, developed consciousness; it became a youkai. And as a youkai it operated with a singular purpose, to enchant each and every one of its admirers into an eternally peaceful slumber, with their bodies nestled between its roots. The once festive springtime celebrations atomized into the individual trancelike reveries of those decided on death, and the Saigyouji residence was abandoned. Last year I sealed the tree using the soul of a recently deceased human friend of mine, Saigyouji Yuyuko.

I suppose it was nostalgia that brought me back to a garden that, post the excision of its metaphorical heart, was merely one of many beautiful locales scattered throughout the land, though an atypically quiet one. When Yuyuko was alive we used to take long walks together, chatting amiably about nothing in particular, sometimes philosophizing, and every so often stopping to admire the beauty around us; Yuyuko was a skilled poet who could then unfailingly complete the moment by reciting some complementary verses of her own making. She never wrote them down, and I've largely forgotten them, to my regret. Promises and plans to meet again soon would mark our partings.

Our friendship was secret, as it must have been. Any sort of friendly relations between a human and a youkai could only result in that human's ostracization from society, were they to come to light. Indeed, I felt in Yuyuko's case that this chain of reasoning was reversed; that a profound, corrosive alienation from humanity drove her to seek the companionship of the supernatural. For Yuyuko was uniquely attuned to human mortality, and she held a special affinity with spirits, which she used to invite to freely flit about her person, delighting all the while. Next to the ethereal dances of the spirits the weighty bodies of the living appeared to her as petrified husks, as a cruel form of imprisonment. Yuyuko, being cursed with the ability to invoke death in mortals, struggled daily to restrain her natural inclinations towards murder, or liberation, depending upon your point of view. The contradiction between her humanity and her inhuman power proved a constant source of anguish that she was unable to reconcile, in the end.

The lazy swaying of the cherries served as a pleasant, unobtrusive accompaniment to my idle ruminations, as I lay submerged in the sea of my memories. Clouds drifted overhead. By turns the pink coloration of the blossoms intensified and seemed to bleed into the environment. Maybe I had gotten tipsy from the sake? For that matter, I thought I had seen a humanoid figure dancing through the gauzy mist of petals, its steps assured and elegant, yet also displaying a joyous spontaneity. This figure, or maybe mental apparition (for I was as yet unsure as to its actual existence) wore a blue and white spiral-pattern kimono, altogether a rather simple fashion of the day. My taste in fashion being considerably more sophisticated, it was probably a youkai. Such youkai, having evolved to the point where they could take human form, are solitary as a rule, so I was unlikely to be disturbed. I closed my eyes and continued my somber meditations...

"Excuuuuuuuuse me!"

"Oh, now look at what you've done!"

In my surprise I had upended the sake bottle. The figure from before floated nearby, her strikingly vivid pink hair disheveled and her countenance bespeaking a state of harried confusion. It was now clear that she was no youkai, but instead a ghost. Why was a ghost roaming about in the middle of the day?!

"I'm sorry for disturbing you so abruptly, but this is an emergency! There's some half-crazed human wandering about here, and if we don't get him out soon he'll go completely mad!"

"Yes, and -"

"He might even commit suicide!"

I thought to ask why a ghost would be so concerned for the life of a human - wouldn't she welcome another playmate? - but decided that the query might be a bit insensitive. You never know with ghosts. Sometimes they get agitated if you tell them that they are dead.

"So you're saying that the cherry blossoms are affecting his mental state?"

"Right. Many of them are youkai or ghosts, after all. They're driving him crazy with fear."

Come to think of it, the peculiar luminosity of the blossoms that I had noticed earlier: it wasn't that I was drunk. The Saigyou Ayakashi's influence extended to more than humans, and even now that it was sealed the garden could not be said to be safe. The poor fool the ghost was flustered over must have felt blessed to have come across this garden, before falling imperceptibly into his current state of delirium.

"Are you afraid of scaring him? You're probably more familiar with this area than a travelling youkai such as myself."

"Well, actually, that is..."

"Regardless of your reasons, I'll help you. Lead the way." I decided to humor the ghost for now, although something about her story disturbed me. The madman was not hard to find, ranting as he was at the base of the Saigyou Ayakashi.

"The next world, resplendent with sin-laden cherry blossoms / Unseeable in life, unseeable again in death."

"He's been declaiming lines like these for hours now. Whenever I approach he chants his bizarre poetry at me at double force, and curses me as a 'sinful ghost'."

"Let me try."

"The transmutation of lead into gold, this / the wise man sees to be true and knows to be false." The madman scampered away on all fours like a beast, and then turned and stared at me with bloodshot, bulging eyes.

"Who knows - maybe this man is the only sane one among us? I say we leave him to his devices."

"That comment was in poor taste, youkai miss." She had a point. It was time for me to intervene decisively.

"Behold - the interminable mysteries of the gap!" The air rippled and then tore, exposing an absolute darkness punctuated by variegated eyes. I turned towards my ghostly companion, expecting to see her startled or awed.

"Oooh..." A look of enlightenment spread across the ghost's face. "That explains it all..."

I was unused to being on the receiving end of muttered obfuscation, and I did not enjoy the feeling.

"'Explains it all?' Excuse me?"

"Nevermind that, please continue."

"Well then, do observe." The madman, perhaps upset at losing his unappreciative audience, was beginning to sulk. I closed the demonstration gap and opened one underneath him. His reaction as he fell was one of unconcerned resignation.

"You might think such a method of transportation would be terrifying, but it's actually quite pleasant. I've deposited that fellow near the outskirts of the nearest town."

"Will he be alright?"

"His mind hadn't degenerated, it was just freed from any inhibitions concerning proper behavior and social decorum. In short, he was freely indulging his whims. Those inhibitions should now return. He might even be inspired by this experience to write a decent poem." My curiosity asserted itself. "Could you now explain your earlier outburst?"

"You aren't aware? This area is in a state of flux. It's hosting such an extreme concentration of ghosts that the tissue tethering it to the land of the living is starting to disintegrate under the pressure. Pathways to the surrounding environs are being twisted and cut off; it's hard for even a youkai to make it here without some sort of aid, such as your gapping ability. I'm mystified as to how that madman made his way into this garden in the first place, and I would be at a lost trying to guide him out."

"Hence your spirited plea for help." The ghost blushed. Her explanation made sense, if there was any sense to be had in such matters, and allayed my earlier disquiet about the circumstances of her request.

"Where are the ghosts you speak of?"

"Resting beneath us. I'm rare in being active at this time of the day. If you return during the night, you'll get to see how raucous this place can be!" She had shifted back to that playful attitude of hers. "The ghosts around here are all friendly. It must be the charming atmosphere."

My manners must have deteriorated since Yuyuko's death, as I had completely forgotten until now to ask for the ghost's name. "Excuse me, but I haven't introduced myself. My name is Yakumo Yukari. And you...?" The ghost hesistated somewhat before giving her reply.

"I'm not sure who I am. Or rather who I was when I was alive. It's unusual for a recently born ghost not to have any memories of when she was alive, but there you go." Her gaze absentmindedly alighted on a butterfly before returning to me. "I don't go by any name."

"We'll just have to rectify that state of affairs then! How about I call you" - the name came smoothly to my lips - "Yuyuko. Saigyouji Yuyuko, to be full and formal about it."

"Oh? An acquaintance of yours?"

"Deceased acquaintance. You remind me of her in some ways."

We spent a few hours walking amongst the flowering cherry trees, chatting amiably about nothing in particular, and then I returned home.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:08:44 AM by Topos »

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
Buzzer shot, FTW! Not sure if it fits the theme of "A Touhou Learns a Lesson", though...

-----------------------------------

More than two thousand years before the realm of Gensokyo existed, a goddess marched victoriously ahead of her army. Though her bare feet sunk into the wet loam (an effect from the previous day?s duel with the land?s former reigning goddess) the same as the fifty warriors at her back, her divinity was obvious, partly from the radiance she seemed to exude, partly because of the fine red clothing she wore, the make and material of which wouldn?t be worn by mortals for centuries, and partly because she had several large and imposing pillars of wood floating around her. Behind her, her men marched stoicly through the mud, armed with their homeland?s greatest weapons and clad in their finest armor, though, curiously enough, several of them carried on their shoulders freshly cooked beasts on spits and slats.

The small army of men marched several lengths away from the goddess in respect and deference of her power, with only one man, himself looking like a figure of power wielding a shining spear and clad in steel armor, a rarity in the islands, daring to approach to an arm?s length away. He was also the only man to dare question the goddess. ?Lady Yasaka, are you sure that you want to do this? If this invitation is a trap, then-?

The goddess known as Yasaka brushed his concerns away imperiously. ?You worry too much; after yesterday?s duel, the leader of the Mishaguji has been cowed. If she and her people want to invite us to a celebration of our victory, it would be rude to not accept! Besides,? she added, gesturing at the line of soldiers, sweating in the humid morning air, ?fifty of your best men, armed with finest weapons of the Yamato, should be more than enough to match the Moreya and their steel.?

The leader of the mortal men, wiping heavy perspiration from underneath the brim of his helmet, couldn?t help but argue back. ?Your confidence in my men, while heartening, does not stop us from being surrounded by superior numbers. If you had just let me ready the rest of the army for-? he argued, before a newer, lighter voice interrupted him.

?My, you have a rather rude commander, Lady Yasaka,? the voice said, right behind the soldier?s shoulder. Several of the soldiers started at the sudden appearance of the new man, clad in clean furs and a tall woven hat, half drawing weapons before Yasaka?s gesture stopped them. The tall man, seemingly all knees and elbows, gave a cheeky grin to the goddess. ?Assuming that an invitation for a feast, from the people of a thousand cursed gods, is but a trap? that?s either incredibly rude, or a deduction of the master of the obvious. Still, very kind of you to bring offerings with you!? The commander felt his teeth grind at the taller man?s derisive contemptuous attitude, but the goddess only chuckled, a remarkably light sound coming from such an imposing figure.

?He?s just a bit over protective, sir High Priest. Though,? she noted, looking at the tall human askance, ?I do wonder if there?s another purpose to the feast, aside from the celebration of the Yamato over your people.?

Any hope that the commander had of seeing the high priest?s facial expression change from that cheeky, closed eye look, died as the high priest only, somehow, grinned even more cheekily. ?Why, it is to present a gift to the land?s newest goddess.?

?Oh?? the commander grumbled, wondering just how the infuriating man managed to not sweat in this humidity, with his fur robes and that stupid hat. ?And what sort of ?present? does a conquered people offer?? That damned grin split even wider.

?Why, an eternal curse, guaranteed to last ?till the end of Lady Yasaka!? At that proclamation, the commander?s eyes widened, and he nearly drew his spear at his counterpart?s neck if it weren?t for the goddess? firm grip keeping his arm still.

That grip didn?t keep his tongue still, however. ?You dare admit to such a thing?! If you do such a thing to Lady Yasaka, I swear that I?ll have your head!? he growled, trying to match glares with the cheeky priest (as the high priest?s eyes were seemingly permanently closed, this ended in failure, but the beads of his hat were more than willing to take the challenge). The army behind the three faltered in their march, growing wary at the hostility brewing at the front of their formation.

Yasaka, on the other hand, had a fierce gleam in her eye. ?Oh, is that what Moreya has planned? This should be? interesting.? A small, yet ferocious grin was now affixed to her face, and her pace seemed to pick up. The commander?s steps stuttered a bit as he tried to match the pace of the woman, who already had the advantage of height on him, and he shot another glare at the gangly priest, who only replied with a smile and a tip of the ridiculous looking hat.

It wasn?t long before the entourage reached the bottom of the hill, where the soon-to-be previous goddess of the land dwelled in her shrine. Already, local folk had began to gather, congregating around the hill at the foot of the lake, beginning their own ascent up the hill. Those folk kept a healthy distance from the invading force, but, aside from a few muttered comments and several heated stares, they seemed oddly accepting of the invaders.

?Possibly because the invasion was so bloodless, thanks to Lady Yasaka and the Moreya goddess,? the commander thought. ?Though, I wouldn?t have minded to have speared certain individuals,? he added, sending a not-so-concealed glare at a not-so-oblivious priest, who was having less difficulty climbing up the hill than his counterpart.

It wasn?t long before the goddess, the commander, the priest, and the men crested the hill, in front of a large clearing in front of a wooden shrine. Even to the uninitiated, one could easily tell that the shrine was a place of power, despite its simplicity in design. Crowds have already began to gather around the perimeter, making the already edgy soliders uneasy. Yasaka, however, had no such uncertainty, confidently and boldly stepping forward to the shrine, her commander and her rival?s priest following quickly, flanking her a pace behind, not stopping until she was ten paces away from the shrine?s closed doors. The high priest removed his hat and knelt reverently to the shrine, hands flat on the earth and forehead pressed against the ground. His nostrils flared as his chest inflated, filling with air.

?My lady Moreya!? his voice boomed, unexpectedly loudly, causing all conversation to cease. ?The highest of the gods of this land, the ruler of the Mishaguji! Lady Yasaka of the Yamato approaches!? Immediately, all of the mortals dropped prostrate, even the commander and his soldiers, as the shrine doors began to open. Yasaka, however, remained standing, arms crossed in an imperious pose.

?And now, what curse will my lady face?? the commander wondered, with his face pressed into the ground. ?The frog goddess is a tricky foe: even with her steel countered by Lady Yasaka?s power, Lady Moreya is still a curse goddess, who has pledged to set an eternal curse upon the one who defeated her.? His teeth ground as his mind spun with infinite possibilities. ?Lady Yasaka is strong, but she?s, in her own way, foolish. If anything happens to her?

?No matter, for I?ll be at her side to help her, alw-? his back stiffened as though a pole were shoved through his spine at Yasaka?s surprised gasp, and he involuntarily looked up, despite it being a breach of protocol. ?What is it, Lady Ya-?

His words trailed off, and his eyes boggled at the sight before him.

A slim blonde woman, who had just passed through the doors of the shrine.

She was kneeling demurely on the wooden porch in front of Yasaka, eyes cast downward.

The woman was dressed in the purest white of cloth, impossible to match by human standards.

Her lips began to move, strangely deep, yet feminine, despite her frailer stature. ?Lady Yasaka, you have defeated I, Moreya of the Mountains. As per your wishes, I bequeath upon you these lands, and these people, for you to provide your protection. And?

?As I am part of these lands, I give myself to you.? Moreya?s head dipped down to meet her clasped hands on the ground, to the gasps of the mortals around them. ?I hope that our years together in the future are long and fruitful.? A long silence passed, before the commander finally said one word.

?What.? The tone was as flat as his expression, and he continued to stare at the prostrate goddess, as though waiting for the punch line of a joke to be revealed. Instead, quiet chatter and titters began to arise from the ranks of mortals.

?Oh my, our Moreya-sama?s finally getting married!?
?How forward, offering herself just like that!?
?That?s so our goddess, with her spirited, er, spirit!?
?Mom, I?m hungry!?

Slowly, the commander rose to his feet, not even caring about niceties any more. ?This? this has to be a joke? Lady Yasaka?!? he turned to the goddess, only to stop cold. The normally confident, aggressive goddess was now blushing eyes averted from the other goddess and nervously threading her fingers together.

?O-oh my?? she mumbled, voice quavering in embarrassment. ?R-really, it?s just too sudden! I really need to p-prepare myself for this, Lady Moreya?? she said, trying not to hide her face behind her hands. The commander felt his jaw go slack, but quickly snapped his wits together.

?Lady Yasaka! Get a hold of yourself! You need to present a strong front in front of the men!? he shouted, turning and gesturing at the soldiers, before stopping cold. His proud soldiers, known for their stoicism and ferocity in battle, were sniffling, barely able to restrain their emotions.

?Lady Yasaka? to think that you would get married!?
?I always dreamed of being that man, though?!?
?It?s just like Lady Yasaka, to get the prettiest and most beautiful ladies??
?Sir, I?m hungry!?

One particular soldier, a huge man capable of felling several men with a single swing and knocking horses dead cold, rumored to be of oni blood, had dropped decorum and charred boar entirely, bawling shamelessly. ?This is happiest day of Goro?s life!? he sobbed loudly into the shoulder of another soldier, who looked rather awkward and tear soaked.

The commander?s brow was already twitching madly as the lanky high priest strode up next to him, throwing an arm around his shoulder. ?Well, I?d say that was the best curse Lady Yasaka could be under, don?t you think?? the man cheered, not noticing popping veins from underneath his steel helmet. ?What say we drink merrily to our goddesses? union, friend??

The infuriating grin never left his face, despite the commander?s fist demolishing his nose. At least that damned hat fell off his head.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:43:07 AM by Sect »

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:58 AM »
I think, including my story, there is 1 versus story, two stories about OC death, 2 3 origin stories with Sect's ninja-post, an OC self insert story, A Madventures of Marisa, a real world touohou, and a short about Cirno.

BlackAlice - Your story reads like humor to me. If I were writing it, I'd have probably added more humor.

CS and SquidTentacle - Those stories sure are dark. Did you have fun writing them?

Sect - You're a new writer?!

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
Sect - You're a new writer?!
Technically, according to the rules of the contest, I am.

Honestly, though, I'm not. I've been doing fanfiction for nearly ten years, and doing personal writing projects for a little longer than that. Of course, I'm also a REALLY LAZY writer, so...

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:21 AM »
Deadline!

We've got a lot of last minute entries but time is now officially up!  Judges will be sleeping now.  Please wait warmly until all are concious and have had time to read through the stories.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
gdit there's so much work to do suddenly

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2011, 08:07:07 AM »
It's all you slackers fault for waiting until the last minute.  I only have to read Sect's.  :P

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »
well

y-your face

I'll get to work tomorrow sob

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Oh man, finally. I've been waiting for this. *eagerly awaits results*

CS and SquidTentacle - Those stories sure are dark. Did you have fun writing them?

Yeah, I did. I enjoy writing predominantly dark stories, particularly if they have sprinklings of lightheartedness and humor added to them.

And it helps with venting, so that's a plus.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]