Author Topic: ZUN art  (Read 40753 times)

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
Re: ZUN art
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
He's good at making characters, yet he's terrible at drawing them. That's why we have fans to draw them more clearly.

For example:

Members in this forum
IOSYS (Does he draw the Touhou Chibi Characters?)
Members in deviantART

Overall, if you compare ZUN's original artwork of Marisa Kirisame to this
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/454947-Yukari/947/27/1186525011093_display.jpg

That picture is 15 times better than ZUN's.

Yes, yes it is. But the idea and applaud still goes to ZUN, cause he invented that from scrap...
Heck, how? how? Alcohol? Prophecies? Contact with another dimensions? Sorcery? Too much anime and manga? How does he make'em so good we can't resist?

Mokou Fan

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
I kind of like his character's rounded faces, they're sort of cute. And I thought some of his portraits were actually pretty good, particularly Nitori.

It does sort of bug me that everyone looks like they're five, though.

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
I kind of like his character's rounded faces, they're sort of cute. And I thought some of his portraits were actually pretty good, particularly Nitori.

It does sort of bug me that everyone looks like they're five, though.

Their heads are like squashes.

ZUN has always seemed to be better at photoshop than really drawing.
But I've seen shows on television with worst art. Maybe it is just the difference in style compared to the basic animu style that seems to be becoming overly common.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
Compared to almost any artist, ZUN's art is terrible.  Compared to the average person who doesn't draw much (probably the remaining 70% of the population), he draws better than they would.  Which isn't really bad for a guy who (maybe) said he doesn't care for drawing much, and would almost positively rather be spending that time programming, writing, character-designing (not to be confused with actually drawing the character), danmaku-designing, and composing.

ZUN's already a great programmer, composer, designer, and writer.  No one can be perfect in EVERYTIHING, I suppose.

At any rate, to elaborate on one of the above, his character designs really are good.  Even with his bad art, there are tons of touches in them that shows just how much thought he put into the character designs, themselves, all over the place.  That's probably one of the major reasons fan artists love to draw his characters.  Sure, his art of them is not so hot, but the base design tends to be fantastic, filled with all sorts of themes, shout-outs, mythology allusions, and style (and that's not even including all the thought he tends to pour into danmaku designs for those characters).  While he might not draw as good as any actual artist, he certainly designs great original characters better than even most artists would..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:35:41 PM by Tiamat »

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
At any rate, to elaborate on one of the above, his character designs really are good.  Even with his bad art, there are tons of touches in them that shows just how much thought he put into the character designs, themselves, all over the place.  That's probably one of the major reasons fan artists love to draw his characters.  Sure, his art of them is not so hot, but the base design tends to be fantastic, filled with all sorts of themes, shout-outs, mythology allusions, and style (and that's not even including all the thought he tends to pour into danmaku designs for those characters).  While he might not draw as good as any actual artist, he certainly designs great original characters better than even most artists would..

This basically summed up my feelings better than I ever could.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »
I honestly don't mind the art too much. It does its job of portraying well thought-out and intricate character designs, and in some cases it's actually good (personal examples being PCB, PoFV, Remilia in EoSD, and pretty much any Sakuya after EoSD).

But, as has been said before, I view the art more as a set of visual guidelines for the players to see the characters how they would like to, similar to how the general lack of detailed background or character information provides greatly varying personality interpretations. Just take a look at the Fancy-Winged Flandre or Utsuho's Fancy Cannon pools on Danbooru to see what I mean.

I'll admit that I prefer the art from the fighting games over the shooters, but that's not ZUN art, so that should probably be a null point.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 02:01:01 PM »
You mean the art displayed in the part where you press ctrl? That's pretty okay imo. It has a unique style which is more than you can say for most anime. I think the art in PCB and UFO are the best ones. But honestly, i don't think the MoF art is that bad.

The art is better when he gets help for it though. DIdn't he have ALPHES in on Fairy Wars? That was pretty good art... even though everyone looks so fat. Or is that just me?

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
You mean the art displayed in the part where you press ctrl? That's pretty okay imo. It has a unique style which is more than you can say for most anime. I think the art in PCB and UFO are the best ones. But honestly, i don't think the MoF art is that bad.

The art is better when he gets help for it though. DIdn't he have ALPHES in on Fairy Wars? That was pretty good art... even though everyone looks so fat. Or is that just me?
Alphes only did PoFV, IaMP, and SWR AFAIK.  Fairy Wars was done by Makoto Hirasaka.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
That was pretty good art... even though everyone looks so fat. Or is that just me?

I dunno. I kinda like "Chubby Cirno". She looks huggable.

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »
I dunno. I kinda like "Chubby Cirno". She looks huggable.

Sure, it is a pretty endearing style.

Alphes only did PoFV, IaMP, and SWR AFAIK.  Fairy Wars was done by Makoto Hirasaka.

Makoto Hirasaka... isn't he the one who did the art for ZUN's manga based on the same fairies. The art style certainly looks identical.

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Makoto Hirasaka... isn't he the one who did the art for ZUN's manga based on the same fairies. The art style certainly looks identical.

Only in the second and third series (SaBND & OSP). The first series (EaLND) had Nemu Matsukura.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Everyone in UFO after stage 1 has a hand raised up... and Nue does it for no reason  :P
I still love ZUN's art, though. Better that all the shit we see in every anime (not that I hatate it~)